Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,584 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials (15012 Views)

Osun Government Officials Kidnapped In Lokoja / APC Warns Against Insulting Buhari, Government Officials - Premiumtimes / When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Lilimax(f): 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Respect is earned and not forced. I respect no elder that disrespects himself by stealing what belongs to the children. Your own definition of respect is mumu, which i don't subscribe to
I rest my case.

3 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 21, 2014
Freedom of information is an extension of freedom of speech, a fundamental human right recognized in international law, which is today understood more generally as freedom of expression in any medium, be it orally, in writing, print, [size=18pt]through the Internet[/size] or through art forms.[citation needed] This means that the protection of freedom of speech as a right includes not only the content, but also the means of expression.[1]
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by gists: 3:51pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
If you are too old to get insulted, please stay away from public service and respect yourself. The moment you throw yourself for public office, that moment you agreed to enjoy both the praise and the ridicule that comes with it.
Couldn't have said it better!!

6 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by KingTom(m): 3:51pm On Oct 21, 2014
Oluwaseun Osewa! Please o It will not be taken lightly you need to allow these men and women to vent their frustrations and anger on the government. e.g. Mr. Adekola is a commisioner for works and the roads are bad let them say "That cow Adekola is... That fool is.... May so so and so fire Adekola's so so and so with so so and so. Venting annoyance by showering bad politicians with harsh words makes some people feel calm, so Seun please let us alone! Let us rain insults on PDP (Papa deceive Pikin) and APC (Aboki peoples congress)
Signed
Concerned Nigerian.

5 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by pendy79: 3:51pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!

Ain't you just a joke. You were caught and quoted calling GMB sub human on the day he lost his daughter but here you are talking of censoring insults to government officials.

Since Thief.nubu and boko.hari are not yet public or government officials I guess they can be insulted and malign by your co- JonaTAN INTERNET GOONS.

You're such a clown. Donald Trump called OBAMA the most powerful man in the world " A MAD MAN" guess he is in gizmo now? Better not tamper with our fundamental rights of free speech.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Prugged: 3:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
Wats the need of democracy,if one can't x-press oneself without fear of intimidation or infringement,...must of our leaders needs all dis our social media bashing. we elected dem there if dey don't perform as expected....na insult go follow be dat na,because dey already insulted us for not performing well

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 21, 2014
blizard44:
and when the ridicules turn ridiculous and unreasonable from every point of view

Nobody is saying you shouldn't critisize mister. Criticism is another kettle of fish from howls of gravely foul and acerbic words.

If you must critisice, do so with discretion and common sense.
Whether common sense or uncommon sense, it doesn't stop Jonathan from being clueless grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by cheiseabmw: 3:53pm On Oct 21, 2014
tunery004:

Kai....... Dats to d xtreem na.........
Wetin Seun do u?

its true its obvious he cannot sit down n take a position on any issue. he just sits lackadaisically on the fence n lazily start issuing directives.

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Olaolufred(m): 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
[size=14pt] Is Seun now a PDP sychophants?
Many of us will react if we sence injustice occassioned by partisanship.
Best is for you to stay neutral and keep your business.
If not, they will use you like Nyesom Wike, and tell you " www. that is all"
May you not get yourself into such gully.
[/size]

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by bayulll01(m): 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!
seun seun i dont want to call you names,how pathetic can u wake up and says such pooo,see i dont care how much they ve paid u,we put them there and if they think they cant accept criticisms they should resigns who cares,can u imagine,this is barbaric infact i will be back

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
pendy79:

Ain't you just a joke. You were caught and quoted calling GMB less human on the day you he lost his daughter but here you are talking of censoring insults to government officials.

Since Thief.nubu and boko.hari are not yet public or government officials I guess they can be insulted.

You're such a clown. Donald Trump called OBAMA the most powerful man in the world " A MAD MAN" guess he is in gizmo now? Better not tamper with our fundamental rights of free speech.
Shamefully, he made sure that he deleted the thread and all comments where it was quoted was hidden. Seun the Clown

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Sunnybobo3(m): 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!

The emboldened should have read " We are getting Nairaland ready incase Buhari wins". We know if Buhari wins, it'll be goodbye to press freedom and freedom of speech.

That ain't gonna happen mate....trust me!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
I think insult is not the objective word you are looking for but abuse and abusive language.

I am assuming your sensitivity to our peculiar political eco-system has not numbed your ability to feel intellectually molested when public officials confidently make statements that would otherwise confirm their candidacy into Yaba Left; and expect the unfortunate masses whom the effects of such barely literate actions suffer without expressing utter disgust equal to the measure of abuse they receive.

Guy.. if an information minister thumps his chest proudly to thank Goodluck for bringing Facebook to Nigeria or a communications minister state unequivocally that gsm is not for the poor. They should receive the backlash of their inane sense of reasoning in kind.

But calling your President a retuuurd is where I draw the line. There are other fitting expletives that can be delivered in a much palatable manner.

Methinks your approach should also consider the style and intention of the suspected insulter.

But seriously, public officials and political figures are mostly angry at abusive language used in pointing out the obvious. They are calm and mute when you say it in plain English

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by OgologoDimkpa: 3:55pm On Oct 21, 2014
All these APShit people are just ranting for nothing.
They though this proposed law is against them.
Ndi ojoo!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by cheiseabmw: 3:56pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lilimax:

I rest my case.

you've got no case gal
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by omicron(m): 3:56pm On Oct 21, 2014
Being a ploitical rule, this is very sensitive.

Insult is not a legal or criminal act. Defamation of character might be, but who is the Judge?

It is only morally wrong, and unethical. But that is as bad as it is. Don't let the line between your moderation of the forum and denying members of their freedoms of speech disappear.

Let the Nigerian govt ban that before u do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by joywendy(f): 3:57pm On Oct 21, 2014
mmmmm........

This will be one of the biggest mistakes you will be making on this forum. if its implemented.

what exactly are you afraid off?

you don't see ppl like the founder of facebook making rules like this on his users despite the vast number of people from all over the world.

isn't the rule 2&3 enough?

It's a forum for pete's sakes.

think twice before making your decision.

shalom!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 21, 2014
pendy79:

Ain't you just a joke. You were caught and quoted calling GMB sub human on the day he lost his daughter but here you are talking of censoring insults to government officials.

Since Thief.nubu and boko.hari are not yet public or government officials I guess they can be insulted and malign by your co- JonaTAN INTERNET GOONS.

imagine the hypocrisy? When he called APC supporters boko haram sympathizers and later apologized nko?
Seun cannot stop me from venting my anger towards PDP leaders. Never!!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Trustyd1(m): 3:57pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Mr. Seun you are a pitiable person. I expect that you would have done some sober reflection by this time. Is it because we call Jonathan Mr. Clueless and the PDP a Killer Party that you want to Gag our views? Do not use your own hand to ruin your forum-It is just a brotherly and friendly advise.

RUBBISSSSSSHHHHHH

PS: This is in contravention to the African Charter on Human Right which deals with FREEDOM OF SPEECH and the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria.

My dear freedom of speach doesn't mean abusing people, even social networks dont allow abusive words and if you report any they will block or deactivates the user acc.
You must not abuse to make your point.

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by kayemjay(m): 3:58pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!

Is that why I humbly asked for a topic ( https://www.nairaland.com/1957016/hard-facts ) to be moved to front page and it hasn't? Are the other trivial topics on FP any better than the one I asked to be moved?

SMH.

I wont raise this again your highness.

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by NewNigeriaMind: 3:59pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!

At this part of your statement: Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things, I don't fully understand you. What do you mean by this, has anyone in Abuja call you to complain.

Its rather a pity that you have allowed your political affiliations to reduce you to a man that can no longer stand for what is right. Are you building the foundation for a Nigeria where the citizen will no longer be able to speak to their elected representatives as they deserve. Respect is not won or taken it is given freely when it is earned. Go back and tell your boss in Abuja that if he wants our respect he should begin to earn.

Barack Obama is criticized daily by Americans I am sure the last thing Obama will do to address the insults if not warranted will be clamped down on people freedom of speech. Maybe that is what makes America a better country.

This your mind set is the kind that lays the foundation for abuse og human rights, intolerance, autocracy and dictatorship.

THE INSULTS ON OUR GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS IS IT JUSTIFIED OR NOT? we are being looted dry, the future of the unborn is bleak, the poorer keeps getting poorer, the Abuja boys are getting bolder in stealing by the day and this is the best you can come up with.

I use to think you would perhaps be one of the leaders of tomorrow, that would influence others to greater heights, but from your recent post I began to have my doubts. This post of yours just confirmed it, you are nothing but a "what it could be"

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Whether common sense or uncommon sense, it doesn't stop Jonathan from being clueless grin grin grin

okaycheesy

May Kids say same about you and your parents.

You can add an 'amen'!

Bye;>

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by OgologoDimkpa: 3:59pm On Oct 21, 2014
pendy79:

Shattapp!
If you must copy the Americans, copy their good part.
Never you equate us with them cos they are far ahead of us in democracy
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Pataki: 4:00pm On Oct 21, 2014
When the Governor of Edo State publicly condemned a woman in his State, Nigerians took to the social media and insulted the hell out of him.

He publicly came out to apologize.

That we have a useless mofo as President and you are strongly biased to support him, does not mean everyone on this board has to tow with your way of reasoning.

Go ahead and implement your foolish rule. You have been begging for this day of judgement on your forum!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by neenar: 4:00pm On Oct 21, 2014
pendy79:

Imagine the hypocrisy!! Trust me, seun is looking for an avenue to finally ban APC supporters.

BTW, holla if he bans anyone here!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by brownlord: 4:01pm On Oct 21, 2014
How come the Aggrieved Peoples Congress are the first to scream about this? don't we have PDP trolls on this forum or don't we also have APC officials in govt.? it seems to me APC is not sure of Aso rock 2015.

Banicansta, you and your fellow goons should read seun's write up again, he said govt. officials and not PDP, insulting your leaders i.e the president or governor is different from criticism/activism which the APC specializes.

Endorsed, even though i'm guilty of this and Mynd44 will now have reason to ban me everyday, if you can't abide by the rule getout or better still start learning how to code html and css and build your own site for hired internet warlords to take over and spew gibberish in the name of criticism.

6 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by egift(m): 4:02pm On Oct 21, 2014
Why is it that the PDP members who fictitiously express fears that Buhari will clamp down on Free Speech - Now the ones leading the Charge to silence and oppress anyone that dares to speak out.

I smear Hypocrisy at the highest level. Seun, don't go down that road. If anyone from the Coven is pressurizing or threatening you - Let Us Know!

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by NewNigeriaMind: 4:03pm On Oct 21, 2014
"STEALING IS NOT CORRUPTION" President Goodluck Jonathan.

Will I be wrong to call him clueless.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by brownlord: 4:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
bayulll01:
seun seun i dont want to call you names,how pathetic can u wake up and says such pooo,see i dont care how much they ve paid u,we put them there and if they think they cant accept criticisms they should resigns who cares,can u imagine,this is barbaric infact i will be back

shut up, you think you are in govt. own forum right? if you are serious with your activism then take to the street, the politicians don't get to read the nonsense you are your hired goons post here, seun's business and you don't tell him how to run it.
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by olapluto(m): 4:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
If you do that, then you will be the first to import North Korea to Nigeria. Look Seun, the only thing you shouldnt tolerate is kids ruining this forum by spamming it with needless threads. Once you try to gag 'insults', then you become dictatorial.
What is an insult? The word 'clueless' for example is NOT an insult. It is rather an assessment of the capabilities (or lack of) of a person. What is insulting however, is for a president to say something like 'stealing is not corruption'. That is an insult to government, governance and the governed.
Moreso, 'insulting' government officials did not start today. It started long before you were born. If a government official is to be a public servant, he should be liable to public abuse. I abused Abacha, OBJ, Tinubu, Jonathan, etc because of their position. If I meet OBJ at an airport today, I will first prostrate to greet him before raising issues with him.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by tunery004(m): 4:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
I think there are some questions begging for answers
1. Is Seun a saint,
2. Is Seun not guilty of this same rule he is trying to enforce
3. Has Seun being bought over
4. What is Seun driving at with dis idea
5. Shall we not call a spade a spade any more
6. What of the insults to God
7. Is God not bigger than any being
8. Or is it because u are an Atheist u don't care of the insult on God
9. Is Seun depressed?
10. Is Seun confused
Let's pray for Seun.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by OgologoDimkpa: 4:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
brownlord:
How come the Aggrieved Peoples Congress are the first to scream about this? don't we have PDP trolls on this forum or don't we also have APC officials in govt.? it seems to me APC is not sure of Aso rock 2015.

Banicansta, you and your fellow goons should read seun's write up again, he said govt. officials and not PDP, insulting your leaders i.e the president or governor is different from criticism/activism which the APC specializes.

Endorsed, even though i'm guilty of this and Mynd44 will now have reason to ban me everyday, if you can't abide by the rule getout or better still start learning how to code html and css and build your own site for hired internet warlords to take over and spew gibberish in the name of criticism.
Honestly they are really the Aggrieved People Congress (APshit)
Little wonder how they flocked this thread like vultures ready to tear Seun apart.

Tufiakwa!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Shettima Swears In Usman Mamman-Durkwa As Deputy Governor / Fayemi's Aide, Victor Kolade Using IGP Special Unit For Land Grabbing In Lagos / Lalong Orders 24-Hour Curfew In Jos North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.