Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,699 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials (15013 Views)

Osun Government Officials Kidnapped In Lokoja / APC Warns Against Insulting Buhari, Government Officials - Premiumtimes / When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by cellors: 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
we cant even "talk"in peace again!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!
I see no reason why Government officials should be detrimentise in this forum, i am sure that this is not the reason why this forum is set up, Seun i have been hoping to tell you this someday, but am happy the issue is now brought up by you.

Thanks, i am by your side.

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by UnknownT: 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
On behalf of the shoeless one and the broke one, I endorse this!!!! Look at all of them screaming freedom of speech! Majority of u screaming freedom of speech are either in their work place or back from work. This is Seun's workplace and the last time i checked Nairaland is not a PLC. If you can't comment without insulting the government of the day(It might be APC 2mrw), quit the forum. Once majority of you had quit and Seun sees that the fortune of Nairaland is dwindling he will know what to do

5 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Vstuffs(m): 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2014
Not good
But what is the use of this
Seun:
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.

And you agree to our terms and conditions

Even Nigeria Constitution in chapter IV Number 39 said

Right to freedom of expression and the press

www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2014
The Iranians arrest their citizens and deal with them on islamic laws based on what they say on twitter but has the iranians called for the end of twitter? It amazes me that an international forum like nairaland will have so many rigid and moribund laws which should be comprehensively discussed in a disclaimer policy but not outrightly stamped on every page of the forum. does facebook and twitter act like nairaland? why cowering in fear?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lilimax:

[s]It'll suddenly become a Nairaland's business if you call your president such names on this forum smiley
Be ready to face the music. embarassed[/s]
Rubbish, go read the disclaimer. You will tell me when calling someone a clueless becomes an offence. Anyway, he will have to prove to the judge that he is not a fool beyond reasonable doubt grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2014
Hello Seun,
I would personally say you are threading on thin ice. Freedom of speech can sometimes be a complex issue, this would mean that your moderators would be very astute as to what constitutes an insult and what does not. I don't think the insults are that bad, it should be ones constitutional right to say he thinks a government official is clueless. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
Don't worry. I won't make the mistake I did the last time you showed your government propaganda colors and then promptly deleted the thread. I screen captured your post this time.

Nairaland: Honorary Ministry of Misinformation

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by tunery004(m): 3:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
cheiseabmw:

little wonder Seun looks like a hungry homeless person in comparison to other seasoned bloggers like Linda ikeji...n co.
Kai....... Dats to d xtreem na.........
Wetin Seun do u?

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Lilimax(f): 3:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
cheiseabmw:

you know not what you're saying
undecided?
I'm sure you prostrates on the floor whenever you want to greet your elder...
Go figure smiley

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by gists: 3:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun: Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!.

The downfall of nairaland will come with too many draconian rules. So many good contributors have already left nairaland because of the perceived childish nature of your forum. George Bush was not only insulted, he was stoned.
BTW, you can ban me again if you want but i will still tell you the truth. Know that just because you own a site, you can't just wake up and say people should not talk - which includes yabbing (or insults if you prefer that term). simply because your gej is on the receiving end. There are posts you have made on this forum in the past that you have said unpleasant things about others - like the comment you made on a 2007 thread that was someone resurrected about the death of GMB's wife (which you quickly deleted yesterday).

Yes I am waiting for it you can hand me a lifetime ban.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
When am already warming up to start insulting government officials,you're trying to stop me from doing that,you're not serious o!

angry

3 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!
VISION!

1 Like 1 Share

blizard44:

Sure, it's none's business.

But you should at least save them the drama of your misnormal upbringing.

I doubt if any well-trained human will refer to someone as old as Gen Buhari or Even President Jonathan in such foul words you crave its usage.
If you are too old to get insulted, please stay away from public service and respect yourself. The moment you throw yourself for public office, that moment you agreed to enjoy both the praise and the ridicule that comes with it.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
Chongaiman:

Problem is that you can't provide a toilet for people to come and poo and then absolve yourself completely from their pooing.

tell that to zuckerberg and twitter execs and they will laugh at your misery

3 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by cheiseabmw: 3:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lilimax:
undecided?
I'm sure you prostrates on the floor whenever you want to greet your elder...
Go figure smiley

your fada
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2014
Who WROTE THIS....
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Olaolufred(m): 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2014
[size=18pt]If there is no freedom of speech, you will indirectly push people to other Fora.
Please, keep your business and avoid North Korea philosophy.
Hope you heard me Seun.[/size]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by neenar: 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2014
berem:
When am already warming up to start insulting government officials,you're trying to stop me from doing that,you're not serious o!
angry
Aswear!

Seun, our seeming quietness over the Islamic proclamation doesn't make us fools o! An binu gan ba se wa yi o! angry

@Lilimax: So, Jonathan should be seen as C in C when it comes to earning salaries, accolades, and honor, right? We shouldn't insult him because he feeds and clothes us, abi? Obama and Cameron, scratch that. Even God gets called worse and he hasn't died or changed.

Politicians are public figures and as such, subject to insults and criticism at all times. If they can't stand the heat, they should get the phuck out of the kitchen!!

11 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 21, 2014
diluminati:
You can not trample down on FREEDOM OF SPEECH! No matter What!
...cos the man below gave it to us

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Lilimax(f): 3:45pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Rubbish, go read the disclaimer. You will tell me when calling someone a clueless becomes an offence. Anyway, he will have to prove to the judge that he is not a fool beyond reasonable doubt grin grin
Barcanista usually prostrate on the floor whenever he wants to greet his elder but will choose to abuse the same elder using various words
simple because he felt he does not know what he was doing undecided.
Does it add up ?

Learn to respect your elder at all time smiley

3 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by jaymichael(m): 3:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!
Lai lai! you will have to ban all of us. Anyone who feels insulted can sue for libel. Afterall, David Mark Called all of us miscreants during the fuel subsidy protest. The government insults us daily in its handing of the affairs of the nation. This is our avenue to hit back. We will resist any attempt to curtail our freedom of speech. Don't make us believe that you ve been bought.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by egift(m): 3:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!

So Mr. Seun so what happens to other Politicians who are not in Government? So someone is free to insult Ngige, Tinubu, Buhari, El-Rufia because they are not in Government?

Opinion: PDP Want Deaf, Dumb And Blind Nigerians
https://www.nairaland.com/1941309/opinion-pdp-want-deaf-dumb

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Lilimax(f): 3:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
cheiseabmw:

your fada
Ignored smiley

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by otalenu(m): 3:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
I doubt this Mr Seun, we all have freedom of speech, but....

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lilimax:

Barcanista usually prostrate on the floor whenever he wants to greet his elder but will choose to abuse the same elder using various words
simple because he felt he does not know what he was doing undecided.
Does it add up ?

Learn to respect your elder at all time smiley
Respect is earned and not forced. I respect no elder that disrespects himself by stealing what belongs to the children. Your own definition of respect is mumu, which i don't subscribe to

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
Your time would be better spent reorienting your useless moderators.

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by 9jii(m): 3:48pm On Oct 21, 2014
But the Reps have removed the immunity clause.

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by CyberWolf: 3:48pm On Oct 21, 2014
I endorse this 100%

3 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
If you are too old to get insulted, please stay away from public service and respect yourself. The momen you throw yourself for public office, that moment you agreed to enjoy both the praise and the ridicule that comes with it.
and when the ridicules turn ridiculous and unreasonable from every point of view

Nobody is saying you shouldn't critisize mister. Criticism is another kettle of fish from howls of gravely foul and acerbic words.

If you must critisice, do so with discretion and common sense.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Pataki: 3:48pm On Oct 21, 2014
An elected leader steals, makes ediotic comments, acts cluelessly both on national and global stage, what names do we ascribe to such a person?

If you think everyone will reason alongside the disgusting way you are steering your forum, get ready to be heavily disgraced.

Go ahead and make your draconian rule to protect the useless mofo who calls himself a President. angry

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Respect is earned and not forced. I respect no elder that disrespects himself by stealing what belongs to the children. Your own definition of respect is mumu, which i don't subscribe to
Well said

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Defection Of 5 PDP Governors Ensured Victory For APC — Okorocha / Rochas Okorocha Splashes 5.5m To Igboist Facebook Group, Still Owes Salaries / Fayose Secretly Planning To Join APC — Senator Aluko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.