Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,892 members, 7,810,428 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria (92327 Views)

Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria / Six Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria / Hardest Courses To Get In Nigerian Universities...Warn Your Younger Ones Today! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Samgreguc(m): 9:52am On Oct 31, 2014
alentyno:

Haba how did I decide a course's difficulty by its name here

All I am telling you is that there is a reason why medical students spend more than 6 yrs in school while someone studying anthropology spends only 4yrs amid partying and the likes!

The pharmacy students in my school usually spend almost 12hrs in school everyday!

There is a reason why medical students have their own hostels

Have you opened ever engineering math text for once?
like seriously, i dont get ur point.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by lusen(m): 9:52am On Oct 31, 2014
Hmmmn! archiTORTURE.... Read, think, draw, think well, calculate, design... Architecture ain't child's play. Its for the strong.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Franchise21(m): 9:52am On Oct 31, 2014
alentyno:
I saw this and a kinda agree with it.

No course studied in the higher institution seems
easy, but some are brutal and can snuff life outta
you.
However, don't get afraid of them. They're
actually interesting. So grab a packet of popcorn as I take you through them.

1. Engineering: the name of this course speaks for itself already. The dudes that study this course eh.....*winks*. It undeniably houses all heavy weight courses in engine faculty like chemical engineering, mechanical, production, petroleum...etc..any guy you see rushing to lecture hall with a punching calculator, they're engine boys o.

2.Medicine: What makes this course challenging, is because you'll be forced to read(jack) like your life depends on the degree of knowledge you obtain from their heavy an bulky textbooks. Some of them actually do go for thanksgiving, when they pass their MBBS exam, that contains Anatomy,physiology and biochem.

3.Biochemistry: people usually think that it's a combination of biology and chemistry. If you're one of such, abeg, it's a wrong impression. You will actually get familiar with Bio molecules and giant Organic structures, that will choke you up. This course requires much logic.
What makes it challenging,is that you'll have to
learn a lot within a short duration. Metabolic
pathways might seem frustrating atimes...*winks*. Another thing about this course is that their lecturers are always sadists, due to long years of studying brutal carbohydrate and enzyme structures.

4.Chemistry: I call this course the power,because these dudes can mix chemical concoctions of Ammonia and HCL and blow everywhere...chem guys, I dey joke o....Its actually one of the most difficult in physical science, because you'll make friends with differential equation in physical chemistry,which will leave you wondering if you're studying maths or chemical reactions.

5.Pharmacy: Its already obvious.don't know where to begin with this course.It overlaps critical aspect of chemistry. You hear stuffs like pharmacokinetics, drug metabolisms etc.

6.Architecture: the funny thing about this course is that it sounds cool and friendly,but when you get in,you know that not all that glitters are gold. You'll get familiar with geometric drawings,optics and so on, which atimes is usually a pain to the ass.

[url=myschool.com.ng/school/news/32337/most-challenging-courses-to-study-in-nigeria.html]Source[/url]
I personally disagree wiv u. Medicine shd top d list, seconded by mathematics
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 31, 2014
martineverest:
If u doubt op....go to mechanical dept in uniben and ask abt the course....mech,pharmacy and optometry re d hardest in uniben
I also did elect. engineering at uniben. I know the likes of ariavie, olagbegi, salami made life hard. But you should meet the bastards in mathematics department. Just that there are fewer students there so you hardly hear their cry.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by eleko1: 9:53am On Oct 31, 2014
Who told U nah only Rivers State poly dat one dey hapuned?Visit oda Uni and see how some lecturers delibrately make life miserable for the peeps.Some will even tell U dat since he graduated with 2.2,U won't fair beta than dat
RENOWNED2:
Just want to say a few things.If you know you DO NOT have a LOT of interest in school AND your brain is not sizzling hot AND you can not afford to stay in school for 10 hours a day,i beg you do not come to rivers state polytechnic to do CIVIL ENGINEERING.You would graduate with a pass.Thank you.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by hausadreturn(m): 9:54am On Oct 31, 2014
benega:
Moral of the story: do the one wey ur head fit carry
i could not agree more
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by martineverest(m): 9:55am On Oct 31, 2014
Mtchew....i did core metallurgy and material engr in mechanical engr.the course was taught by a professor in charge of corrosion at shell nig.believe me it was a walk over compared to mechanical courses like drawing and mechanics
Mekzmoney:
If Mechanical is hard, what about Metallurgical and Materials Engineering? I believe is the hardest course in the faculty of engineering. Because Mechanical have options but Met/Mats has no options especially in ma school. U gat 2 knw abt foundry,metallurgy,materials,corrosion,ceramics n others wich are meant to be courses or options in Met/Mats....... GREAT AMMFES!
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Appswheel(m): 9:56am On Oct 31, 2014
When a student say a course is difficult, one of this is amiss.

1. Lack of Information
2. Lack of Motivation
3. Lack of Interest

From my 3rd year in the University, studying became fun, my CGPA that was in the region of 2.97 in my 200L was better for it - it grew wings and flew to the region above 3.5. I graduated with a 2.1 in the University of Ilorin. I am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering.

WHAT TURNED MY FORTUNES AROUND IN 300L?

I learnt to see studying as fun; something interesting and worth doing. Remember, what is worth doing, is worth doing well.
Your mindset has a great way of influencing your performance and approach to studying.

How do you see studying?
Is it a difficult task you carry out grudgingly?
A burden put on you by your parents/society?
An attempt to whirl time away?
Something important and necessary?

In life, hard work is paramount to success. As an undergraduate, if hard work means studying my notes regularly. Then I should do it whole heartedly with joy.

What do you say of the illiterate who spend nothing less than eight (cool hours daily in the scorching sun offloading goods from trailers? What about the house help who spend all his/her youthful age serving his/her master? Where what is paid as monthly allowance is not enough to take care of his personal bills needless to say those of his family.
These people end up in financial crisis the day their physical strength fail them. No pension to fall back on. No matter how hard they have worked.

Compare these illustrations to that of a young man who studied Computer engineering in the University (A four year course). After graduation he gets employed in a government establishment where he gets paid at the end of the every month – for doing what he likes to do and takes pleasure in doing. He saves money for about three (3) years to establish his own computer institute while retaining is Job. When he eventually retires he is paid gratuity and in position to be paid pension.

With this kind of picture in mind, I see that the gain of studying far outweigh it pains. In my opinion the price paid for education is nothing when compared to the price paid for ignorance.

How wonderful is it to know that it does not take forever to bag a degree.

Take some time to answer these questions:
What is my driving force?
Do I really want to make an impact in my field?
Do I want to be a force to reckon with (an authority) in my field?

It is important to clarify your values on what keeps you going.

Read more of my experiences and those of others who have succeeded in their chosen profession on KNOWBASE - click on my signature below.

KNOWBASE was put together to inform, motivate students and let you know that you have all it takes to succeed.

If you are a successful professional in your field of study, share your experiences, insight on KNOWBASE today

2 Likes

Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 31, 2014
Dominiquez:

That's what I studied in university. Graduated with 2.1 and never had F all through,just one E.
It was God not brain.
and so what? how dat one tak concern me
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by MNDY(m): 9:56am On Oct 31, 2014
I'm studying History and Int'l Studies in Kogi State University, Anyigba. I just gained Direct Entry admission to study it this year.
Mehn, Arabic is an added core compulsory course to be studied! And I tell you, I am not finding it funny! I know nothing in Arabic despite all efforts made!
I exude an erudite personality (people tell me that often times) and I excel in other of my courses, but the Arabic course has come to be a source of great worry to me!
Anxiously awaiting the results of the past first semester exams in which you guessed right, I copied in the Arabic exam! I pray God sees me through these 2 semesters and allay my fears rooted in the Arabic course and the GST Unit.
Other further semesters and sessions (300 & 400 Levels) are not complex.
Even a very significant percentage of the level's students whom we came to meet (as Direct Entry students) are complaining of hard times with the course. Copying (in its tests and exams) has always been the option according to them!
Don't get me wrong! There exist some students who are excelling in the Arabic course. Even heard of determined Christian students who are excelling in it!
However, we as the Direct Entry students lack the basic foundation from 100Level to excel since we came in in 200Level. And by the way, no alternative French provision!
When we approached the Lecturer, he said we the Direct Entry students are on our own and that there is absolutely nothing he can do for us!
We've on our own tried different mechanisms and strategies to intensively bring ourselves up to speed with the course all to no avail! Truth is it is difficult!
And some dude was even arguing with me when I was of the opinion that French is more internationally-oriented! Arabic is more to the Middle East region (where French can still even be found as well).
Ok! Another dude who was on my side in the argument the othe day is already frustrated over re-writing the Arabic carry-over over and over again!
What makes it worse for him is that he was caught at a point in time using an impersonator and the course lecturer has sworn to continuosly fail him until he writes the exam himself and scores well.
On entry into 200Level, two worries made me regret coming to the department in the first place and/or school generally! I was required to apply for the same department in my Diploma programme! And the change of course thingy here in KSU is noted for being marked with hitches!
Firstly, the Arabic course reared its head as a very big challenge, secondly, GST courses were given us (three first for the 1st Semester, five now for the 2nd Semester) with all the problems that come with the GST Unit which I've heard even before entering school
The school authority takes us like freshers, but I don't think so. This is the reason behind the offering of GST courses to us even though I heard that some other faculties' Direct Entry students are not offering them!
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 31, 2014
Numerouuuno:
OP,how did you come about this conclusion? did you study all those courses and found it hard or what?
please explain cos I assume you just wrote them down because they're presumed to be hard.
my list is...,.......
1) Medicine
2) Physics
3) optometry and dentistry
4) civil engineering
5) mathematics and statistics (abstract maths ain't easy)
6) chemistry[
PS: maybe geology and it's its close family
English language is number1.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by bronx07: 9:57am On Oct 31, 2014
Add biotechnology abeg it's like biochemistry plus imb plus stat plus bio
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Olamitisoji(m): 9:58am On Oct 31, 2014
hard indeed but go and study french and german, economic with econometrics you will know wat hard is, i remember the game theory under economics d course nah die.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by emmalexabl(m): 9:58am On Oct 31, 2014
spiceemman:
I studied biochemistry and tell you what, it's a very very tough course. Pathways can make you wanna give up.

Just cram and paste those pathways and you are good to grab ur 2.1

But that isn't same for those studying guidance and counselling !!
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by MNDY(m): 9:59am On Oct 31, 2014
I'm studying History and Int'l Studies in Kogi State University, Anyigba. I just gained Direct Entry admission to study it this year.
Mehn, Arabic is an added core compulsory course to be studied! And I tell you, I am not finding it funny! I know nothing in Arabic despite all efforts made!
I exude an erudite personality (people tell me that often times) and I excel in other of my courses, but the Arabic course has come to be a source of great worry to me!
Anxiously awaiting the results of the past first semester exams in which you guessed right, I copied in the Arabic exam! I pray God sees me through these 2 semesters and allay my fears rooted in the Arabic course and the GST Unit.
Other further semesters and sessions (300 & 400 Levels) are not complex.
Even a very significant percentage of the level's students whom we came to meet (as Direct Entry students) are complaining of hard times with the course. Copying (in its tests and exams) has always been the option according to them!
Don't get me wrong! There exist some students who are excelling in the Arabic course. Even heard of determined Christian students who are excelling in it!
However, we as the Direct Entry students lack the basic foundation from 100Level to excel since we came in in 200Level. And by the way, no alternative French provision!
When we approached the Lecturer, he said we the Direct Entry students are on our own and that there is absolutely nothing he can do for us!
We've on our own tried different mechanisms and strategies to intensively bring ourselves up to speed with the course all to no avail! Truth is it is difficult!
And some dude was even arguing with me when I was of the opinion that French is more internationally-oriented! Arabic is more to the Middle East region (where French can still even be found as well).
Ok! Another dude who was on my side in the argument the othe day is already frustrated over re-writing the Arabic carry-over over and over again!
What makes it worse for him is that he was caught at a point in time using an impersonator and the course lecturer has sworn to continuosly fail him until he writes the exam himself and scores well.
On entry into 200Level, two worries made me regret coming to the department in the first place and/or school generally! I was required to apply for the same department in my Diploma programme! And the change of course thingy here in KSU is noted for being marked with hitches!
Firstly, the Arabic course reared its head as a very big challenge, secondly, GST courses were given us (three first for the 1st Semester, five now for the 2nd Semester) with all the problems that come with the GST Unit which I've heard even before entering school
The school authority takes us like freshers, but I don't think so. This is the reason behind the offering of GST courses to us even though I heard that some other faculties' Direct Entry students are not offering them!
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 31, 2014
Lol... all this comments just make me laugh... my number one on the list will be Mathematics, i studied industrial mathematics believe me even most of my lecturers were just cramming the stuff and repeating questions year after year. I can recall doing one course in abstract mathematics called
TOPOLOGY, it was just definition and cramming all through. we asked the lecturer what was the practical application of it, he angrily replied ' Go and ask Google'. I think Mathematics should top the list as the bed rock of all engineering, there's even mathematics in biology, economics etc. Most of my friends back then spent like 5 + x (x = unknown session 1 till infinity) just to get bsc. No blocking because most of my lecturers were SU's,.

Thank God sha... na 2.2 i graduate wit, i no go try Mathematics for my next life.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Samgreguc(m): 10:03am On Oct 31, 2014
sissons:
Veterinary Medicine is the craziest of all
vet medicine isn't a joke.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Samgreguc(m): 10:03am On Oct 31, 2014
Electronzeez:

you started on a good note.
Electronics in my school is hell, in other schools i know of it is much easier.

author=GetUmad post=27595321]Its relative. Its determined by the individuals and the institution. Some courses in some Schools could be a direct walk-over while same course in another institution would be a rocket science. Some Departmental Lecturers in some institutions are just devil-incarnate.

But, generally speaking, if PHYSICS (with its affiliated courses) isn't part of your list then you need to consult your dictionary for the definition of "hard". Damn! That course is so "broadly abstract" and its the bedrock of many other courses a la professions. I hail those who get power to study am.

i do not agree that physcis is broadly abstract, only some aspect of it like telecommunication where you get to assume how electromagnectic waves travel in free space and in vacum.

Lemme tell you this. Which is more abstract....first law of motion or le chateliers principle in chemistry.
In other words chemistry related course i believe is more abstract than physics related course..
you are very correct.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by kenex4ever(m): 10:05am On Oct 31, 2014
alentyno:

We know. Yet you can't tell me studying mech engineering won't be harder than studying 'primary education' You can ask movicy lipsrsealed
OP u r right, but I think medicine, engineering, pharmacy, sciences etc should be d order(medicine read a lot abeg). Mech engineering is d hardest engineering because it is too diversified, followed by chemical, electrical, civil etc.
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by KelvinGraphics(m): 10:06am On Oct 31, 2014
iamrealdeji:

Mtcheeew,they dey talk about animals wey get horn,snail dey comot
Lwkmd4H gringringringringringrin
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by lacasera14(m): 10:06am On Oct 31, 2014
RENOWNED2:
Just want to say a few things.If you know you DO NOT have a LOT of interest in school AND your brain is not sizzling hot AND you can not afford to stay in school for 10 hours a day,i beg you do not come to rivers state polytechnic to do CIVIL ENGINEERING.You would graduate with a pass.Thank you.
alas! I found a rivpolite here. I did computer science there bro but left to unical to study chemistry, wasn't easy
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Consultville(m): 10:06am On Oct 31, 2014
Go and try Physics or Medicine in OAU

1 Like

Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by martineverest(m): 10:07am On Oct 31, 2014
Am a mechanical engr..am a windows and android developers without former training,i tot myself without guidiance but u cant learn mechanical engr on ur own.i had a computer scientist friend he usedto come for xplanation and assistance in mathematics and programming.
Sheggy13:

U think Computer Science is photoshop and Ms Word. Do u know how many programming languages you are expected to master before u graduate. Do u know what it takes to build an application like nairaland from scratch, with just pure coding not to mention fields like Artificial intelligence, Data structures and algorithm, Automata theory, Computer Architecture and the likes. Don't be so confident in downgrading a course u know little about. Ask guys from maths, physics and Engineering that come to borrow courses in Computer science how their experiences were?
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by KingTom(m): 10:08am On Oct 31, 2014
alentyno:

Guys read like mad, and so what? Are they the only ones that do read? Infact to me PHARMACY is harder than MEDICINE.

In medicine you read and understand

In engineering you read, you think, you re-read, you re-think, you think and think and think before you understand!
Compare
The formula is 4e/q-1 to The rhesus is different in some cases and bleeding the appendice may be the best option to save the hemorrhaging mother although the plasma may be drained
STOP HATING MEDICINE

1 Like

Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Omimah: 10:08am On Oct 31, 2014
The term "hard course" should be used relatively.

1 Like

Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Babafaros(m): 10:09am On Oct 31, 2014
Samgreguc:

pharm stud?
What level? And pls, click on my signature to identify with we ur fellow PANSite.
Newly admitted.#DONE
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by alsudaes1(m): 10:09am On Oct 31, 2014
Luizkid:
Computer Science nkor
But Op, include Physics biko

in fact ehn, PHYSICS is da BOMB!!!

Physics and Mathematics being the language of Engineering.

1 Like

Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Kingsley4all(m): 10:10am On Oct 31, 2014
Study STATISTICS major also with combination you will know what I mean if you don't run Mad or kolo mental....
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by medamillion(m): 10:11am On Oct 31, 2014
I lost my first girlfriend to BioChem...there god ooo
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by Vanderandrew(m): 10:11am On Oct 31, 2014
Medicine not Engineering is the hardest course to study
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by nilde: 10:12am On Oct 31, 2014
if medicine is the hardest.....why reject engine course?
Re: Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria by kinkymax: 10:12am On Oct 31, 2014
Am amazed op put engineering ahead of medicine. Nobody does dat. D most respected and d hardest field globally is medicine n surgery. Dere must b a reason admission into med skul is so hard. Dey seive o level students to get d best out of dem. There is a reason med students spend an avrg of 7 yrs in skul, dere must surely b a reason why med skul is not usually located in d same campus wt other faculties n depts,. Op dere mst b a reason y med students hostels re separated from odas.dere mst surely b a reason for d massive withdrawal of students from med skul evn after spending 4 to 5 yrs dere. Op hop u kno d guys don't go n breaks lik ur engine guys. Hop u also kno dat med students do mor exams dan any other studnts.op do u also kno dat dere re more Dan 6 depts in wh dere curriculum re embedded in med skul curriculum.op do u kno dat if u Ve nt graduated from med skul yur heart kps pumping evn at 600lvl. Op do u. Kno dat some states pay deir med students huge amount to serve as incentives for them to Kp dem goin.op don't u tink dere is a reason doctors re paid higher dan odas in civil service. Op tel m Hw mani exams yur engine guys do in skul while deir med counterparts re doin more dan 30 bfr graduatin. Op tel m Hw mani engine guys do repeat or wrt resit exams in a class. Tel m Hw mani engine guys were withdrawn from deir 100 to 500 lvl while more Dan 200medstudents were withdrawn from ma class only in 100 lvl. Op u mst b joking telling m engineering is mor difficult dan medcn. I laughed. Nevertheless respect to ma engine guys e no easy. Notin gud is easy anyway

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Female Secondary Students Drink Beer, Celebrate WAEC Final Paper In Cross River / 17 UNILAG Girls Missing After Heading For Party At Lekki - Says Twitter User / Wale Ojoniyi And Mercy Ikwue Sex Scandal Video In Osun State University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.