Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,345 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? - Islam for Muslims (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? (92179 Views)

Advice To Muslim Singles / Muslim Singles Matching Service (MSMS) / Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 7:23pm On Mar 23, 2017
snapscore:

How is this related to the obligation for a wife to cook and clean?

If a woman cooks or clean for her husband because he "demands" that she does it and it does not harm her in any way, it still doesn't make it obligatory for women (in general) to clean and cook. If she does it for her husband then that it between her husband and herself and it does not apply to all women.
you are sounding upset already shocked.. Just like what bro AbdelKabir posted some time ago about the custom/culture of the people..... Mind You, there are scholars who say it is obligatory
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 7:31pm On Mar 23, 2017
AbdelKabir:

oga ooo....if i had money for nikkah would i come online and beg for "party rice" undecided you are wicked o..
lead by example president of the apon Nairaland chapter
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 23, 2017
busar:
you are sounding upset already shocked.. Just like what bro AbdelKabir posted some time ago about the custom/culture of the people..... Mind You, there are scholars who say it is obligatory

I am not upset at all. I was actually looking forward to a discussion on the topic. Yeah, I understand that some scholars say it's obligatory which is fine. What I am not okay with is when people try to say that the opinion about household being voluntary chores is not a valid opinion. I mean some men believe that a woman MUST cook and clean (not from the religious perspective), whereas, speaking from the Islamic perspective, there is a difference of opinion. Even on islamqa after mentioning that they believe it's an obligation to serve the husband according to what is ormal in the culture aslo mentioned-
"However, even it is a duty according to some of them – and this is what we think is more correct – the fact that there is such a difference of opinion means that the husband has to look at what she is doing as something voluntary rather than obligatory, or something in which the scholars differ as to whether it is obligatory, so he should be gentle with her if he sees that she is falling short in this regard, and he should encourage her and help her to do it."
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 7:43pm On Mar 23, 2017
It Is Compulsory Upon The Wife To Do The Household Chores & Serve Her Husband | Shaykh Sulaymān Ar-Ruḥaylī

Questioner:
“May Allāh be good towards you Eminent Shaykh, is it correct to say that it is not compulsory upon the wife to cook, wash and other than that in her husband’s house, and whatever she does from (the different) service(s) for her husband is merely courtesy from her towards him; and is she sinful if she is disobedient towards him if she refused to tend to the household chores? May Allāh reward you with good.”

Shaykh Sulaymān ar-Ruḥaylī (حفظه الله):
“Al-ḥamdulillāh, as for what was mentioned in the question (i.e. it not being compulsory upon the wife to cook and wash etc.) then indeed some of the scholars of Fiqh have said this (i.e. held this view), but it is a subordinate (view).

This is because of two affairs:
The first affair (is that) Allāh said: ‘And live with them honourably.’
[Sūrah an-Nisā` 4:19]
And He said:
‘And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses, etc.) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect, etc.) to what is reasonable.’ [Sūrah al-Baqarah 2:228]
And what is meant by the ‘urf (i.e. what was translated to mean ‘honourably’ and ‘to what is reasonable’ both found in Sūrah an-Nisā` and Sūrah al-Baqarah respectively) is that which is customary between the Muslims that does not contradict the laws of Allāh (سبحانه وتعالى). Therefore, it is compulsory upon the wife to associate with her husband based upon what is the common practise between the Muslims, which does not contradict the laws of Allāh. And indeed it has been the common practise between the Muslims (both) past and present that the woman serves her husband, and that the woman performs all the necessary tasks to serve her husband in her house. And how will the relationship be pleasant, and how will the relationship be based upon that which is customary between the Muslims if the woman did not perform her duties to serve her husband?!

Therefore the statement of Allāh, ‘And live with them honourably.’ [Sūrah an-Nisā` 4:19] and ‘And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses, etc.) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect, etc.) to what is reasonable.’ [Sūrah al-Baqarah 2:228] is a proof that it is obligatory upon the woman to do for her husband that which is customary without being wasteful or stingy (the Shaykh erred here but corrected himself afterwards). I mean without exceeding the bounds or being negligent. And verily we have mentioned that the common practise of the Muslims from the time of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) up until our time is that the woman serves her husband.

The second affair (is that) the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) commanded the woman to be obedient to her husband and he was emphatic in doing so (as) he said:
‘If I were to order anyone to prostrate himself before another, I would have ordered the woman to prostrate herself before her husband.’ [Reported by Tirmidhī, Abū Dāwūd and others and Shaykh al-Albānī deemed it authentic] because of the great rights he has over her. (In addition), if a man commanded his wife with an affair and she did not do it and by way of this he became angry with her, the angels of Ar-Raḥmān (also) become angry with her.
Therefore, if the husband commands her to serve him (i.e. to fulfil a task), it is mandatory upon her to obey him. This is with respect to the Islāmic verdict. It is the view of the majority (of the scholars) and it is correct. (However) one situation is an exception from this, which is: If the custom was that the women did not serve (their husbands), then this is an exception since it has departed from the common practice. Therefore, if a woman was from a household where the custom in the country was that the members of this household or the women of this household because of prestige/nobility or something like that does not serve (their husbands), then she is exempted from this.”

Translated by Musa Shaleem Mohammed
in Muwahhideen Publications -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3ETOHkbrc&feature=youtu.be
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 23, 2017
busar:
lead by example president of the apon Nairaland chapter

i would've quoted one Yoruba adage for you, that best fits this situation but i wont because of the shirk contained in that adage, so I'll rather use this as a reply;

undecided
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 8:35pm On Mar 23, 2017
AbdelKabir:

i would've quoted one Yoruba adage for you, that best fits this situation but i wont because of the shirk contained in that adage, so I'll rather use this as a reply;

undecided
tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Empiree: 3:39am On Mar 24, 2017
Do u know that marriage is the cheapest way of having sex? According to my research. U pay N50000 bride price once off and you stay with the woman for 20 years which is N2500 per year. Meaning per month, you are paying N208.3 and N52. per week while daily, all you pay is N7.4. So why would men pay Prostitutes for N5000 or more only for one round of sex, When you can get N7.4 per day for as many rounds as you want. This is a big discount. So get married

busar:
Now, a maid is someone who is *paid* just to clean a home. A cook is someone who is *paid* just to cook and serve food. A prostitute is someone who is *paid* just to...You get the gist.
Comparing wifely duties in an inappropriate way is... inappropriate.
Sister said, I'm not obligated to cook and clean for my husband, I'm not his maid or his cook, but he is obligated to work and provide for me. Where they do that at? She even said if he wants all that he should hire a maid and a cook.
Wallāhi I hate the Internet.
Copied!
Brothers, please find out who you're marrying beforehand. They're doing too much with this gynocentrism.
I understand where your line of thinking coming from. A good wife should know to do these for her man without having to request. Common sense courtesy it is. However, far as I'm concerned, I hate anyone cooking for me except my mother.

Mr sister visits me with her husband, I cook for them. Now I stopped cooking for them but I don't allow her to cook for me. Cook for your husband. That's it and don't worry about me. I'm just used to doing everything by myself, including house chores. I'm too independent. I just feel uncomfortable for anyone to cook for me. I know and understand time will come and it may change like age old for instance.
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 6:25am On Mar 24, 2017
It's a Matter of time bro...... Ordinary washing of dishes could be a big task due to tight schedule. I hate washing dishes though grin tongue
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 24, 2017
Empiree:
Do u know that marriage is the cheapest way of having sex? According to my research. U pay N50000 bride price once off and you stay with the woman for 20 years which is N2500 per year. Meaning per month, you are paying N208.3 and N52. per week while daily, all you pay is N7.4. So why would men pay Prostitutes for N5000 or more only for one round of sex, When you can get N7.4 per day for as many rounds as you want. This is a big discount. So get married

This doesn't sound right to me tho...

I understand where your line of thinking coming from. A good wife should know to do these for her man without having to request. Common sense courtesy it is. However, far as I'm concerned, I hate anyone cooking for me except my mother.

Mr sister visits me with her husband, I cook for them. Now I stopped cooking for them but I don't allow her to cook for me. Cook for your husband. That's it and don't worry about me. I'm just used to doing everything by myself, including house chores. I'm too independent. I just feel uncomfortable for anyone to cook for me. I know and understand time will come and it may change like age old for instance.

this is me too, i hate my clothes being washed for me cuz you can't wash it to my taste, same as cleaning and cooking.......how bout your children?
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 8:21am On Mar 24, 2017
The woman will cook and clean for her children because she has a responsibility towards them and they cannot do that themselves. Or if she cannot do that herself, she can get someone to help her with that.
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 8:41am On Mar 24, 2017
And she does not have a responsibility towards the husband
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 8:44am On Mar 24, 2017
Even the best among the women did all these.. Aishah, faatimah etc and we never see any narration that states otherwise

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 24, 2017
Yes they did and we should try to follow that as muvh as we can. This is the same way the prophet ( peace and blessing be upon him) took part in doing chores and helping at home. Men should also try to emulate that as well.
The same narration used to support the view of an obligation is the same narration used to support the opposing view. Most of the scholars actually favor the view that it is not an obligation.
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 9:02am On Mar 24, 2017
!طيب
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Demmzy15(m): 7:40pm On Mar 24, 2017
busar:
It's a Matter of time bro...... Ordinary washing of dishes could be a big task due to tight schedule. I hate washing dishes though grin tongue
Me kwa, I hate anything washing!!!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 8:29pm On Mar 24, 2017
Demmzy15:
You are not alone..... Ummu abdir Rahmaan, hope you can wash sha .... Thuggery tongue

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 24, 2017
busar:
You are not alone..... Ummu abdir Rahmaan, hope you can wash sha .... Thuggery tongue
Demmzy15:

what if your wives get pregnant and needs help with washing? undecided
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 9:14pm On Mar 24, 2017
It is not only during pregnancy she would need help/assistance in the chores tongue tongue wink
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Demmzy15(m): 11:04pm On Mar 24, 2017
AbdelKabir:

what if your wives get pregnant and needs help with washing? undecided
So you think if my wife is pregnant, we'll be at home alone? cheesy grin grin What of them awon oko ati awon iyawo?

**runs outta thread** grin
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Demmzy15(m): 11:06pm On Mar 24, 2017
busar:
grin grin
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 24, 2017
Demmzy15:
So you think if my wife is pregnant, we'll be at home alone? cheesy grin grin What of them awon oko ati awon iyawo?

**runs outta thread** grin

you had better run, run as fast as you can

busar:
It is not only during pregnancy she would need help/assistance in the chores tongue tongue wink

yeah i know that, i was just looking for the best scenario that will easily show the level of wickedness ....grin

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 12:27am On Mar 25, 2017
snapscore:
Yes they did and we should try to follow that as muvh as we can. This is the same way the prophet ( peace and blessing be upon him) took part in doing chores and helping at home. Men should also try to emulate that as well.

well that part is not relevant because uncle busar himself who view it as compulsory said this

"It is not only during pregnancy she would need help/assistance in the chores "

so really except if the man is a lunatic.....

however the problem here is you trying to make it look like "I'm doing him a favour anyways, if i dont cook or clean, its no big deal" la ya shaykhah, thats not the mentality you should have, although i dont have the right to tell you what you should have as a mentality and what you shouldn't, i just said, its not a mentality you should have.

snapscore:
The woman will cook and clean for her children because she has a responsibility towards them and they cannot do that themselves. Or if she cannot do that herself, she can get someone to help her with that.

so whats the difference? Contradicting yourself are you??

or will you *for instance* cook the children's food separately and wont Cook for the husband because "its not compulsory upon me" ?
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 25, 2017
[quote author=AbdelKabir post=54920346]

well that part is not relevant because uncle busar himself who view it as compulsory said this

"It is not only during pregnancy she would need help/assistance in the chores "

so really except if the man is a lunatic....

I made my comments earlier in the morning way before that comment was made.

[quote]however the problem here is you trying to make it look like "I'm doing him a favour anyways, if i dont cook or clean, its not bad" la ya shaykhah, thats not the mentality you should have, although i dont have the right to tell you what you should have as a mentality and what you shouldn't, i just said, its not a mentality you should have.[quote]

The opinion I follow is that cooking and cleaning is not an obligation. That is something voluntary and sometimes good that a woman does but it is not an obligation. I also remeber I emphasized on the a part from islamqa. which mentioned that even though thwy belived is is an obligation, it is something that should be seen as a voluntary act and the husband won't demand much from her.......

That is the main message I am trying to pass.

[quote]so whats the difference? Contradicting yourself are you??
or will you *for instance* cook the children's food separately and wont Cook for the husband because "its not compulsory upon me" ?

No. The difference is that a marriage contract doesn't automatically mean that a woman must cook and clean. I never stated that a woman shouldn't cook for her husband if she wants to. I just don't agree with the view that marriage makes it an obligation to cook and clean and I belive more men should be open to the idea. If I am married without kids, I may decide not to cook due to whatever reasons best known to me. If I have kids, it wouldn't hurt to add extra water and cook for him as well. Or I don't cook entirely, again due to whatever reasons, we can eat out.

With all that being mentioned I don't think marriage should be a give and take relationship. I think that there should be compassion and understanding abd both parties should be willing to do things for each other even if its not an obligation.
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 1:15am On Mar 25, 2017
^^ typed with my phone and I am not going to try to fix it. Hope you get my message.

Modified
I just realized it may seem like I am upset but I am not. I just can't be bothered with trying to fix my comment. Its late and I should be sleeping.
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 7:08am On Mar 25, 2017
snapscore:

I made my comments earlier in the morning way before that comment was made.

So you think its because of your comment, ojogbon boushari(let me call it the way yoruba mothers call it) changed his mind? boushari(busar) is this true?

well, i subtly tried to know what his views are, on helping out with chores even if he subscribe to the view that it is obligatory on women to do that primarily. and i got what i wanted, which made me happy, also that was why i refrained from quoting you since i wasnt sure of his views....

The opinion I follow is that cooking and cleaning is not an obligation.

same view i follow but not because i like it but because there is lack of clearcut evidence that its obligatory, i hope you didn't follow this opinion because you like it? be sincere...

That is something voluntary and sometimes good that a woman does but it is not an obligation. I also remeber I emphasized on the a part from islamqa. which mentioned that even though thwy belived is is an obligation, it is something that should be seen as a voluntary act and the husband won't demand much from her.......

That is the main message I am trying to pass.

I understand what you are saying here, i also cook and i know its tiring and exhaustive, so a man should be gentle with his wife if she fails once in a while, infact if a wife cooks a food the husband dont want at the moment, either he eats it and don't nag or simply leave it(giving a nice reason why in order not to hurt her feelings) this is sunnah, the prophet dont complain when he meets a food he doesn't like........

No. The difference is that a marriage contract doesn't automatically mean that a woman must cook and clean. I never stated that a woman shouldn't cook for her husband if she wants to. I just don't agree with the view that marriage makes it an obligation to cook and clean and I belive more men should be open to the idea.

i hear.... but as you've seen, the person who says its obligatory still says he will help in chores, islamqa says its obligatory but says men should be gentle with their wives if she falls short, all thess alludes to the point that they admit women need help in these things. A good wife should know that, she should cook for her husband even if he doesn't ask, and a good husband should know that he should help out if he isnt busy, infact it creates space for gisting(for a person like me), the wife wont be bored in the kitchen, and it creates more love and closeness between the couple.

If I am married without kids, I may decide not to cook due to whatever reasons best known to me.

if your husband agrees to this, do you think his family will? i mean, mama comes home(and decides to stay for a week) and she is not served food cooked by the wife(perhaps the husband might also help in some things) because the wife decided not to cook for whatever reasons best known to her, and you think it will work out fine? i pray oo...

If I have kids, it wouldn't hurt to add extra water and cook for him as well. Or I don't cook entirely, again due to whatever reasons, we can eat out.

eat out?? you want to have a dysfunctional home? if everyone neglected cooking, would you get where to "eat out"? or if your male child dont learn how to cook from you, when he gets a wife how do you expect him to help his wife(which is what you also want for yourself) when she falls short? I dont spend much on food because i cook myself unlike going out to eat where you spend much and you are not satisfied..... there are many implications with you and your family "eating out".

With all that being mentioned I don't think marriage should be a give and take relationship. I think that there should be compassion and understanding abd both parties should be willing to do things for each other even if its not an obligation.

yes, both parties should be willing to do things for each other even its not an obligation. And when its done, it shouldn't be seen as, "I'm doing him/her a favour anyway" its not an ideal fikr(mentality)

And sincerely thats the main problem i have with all these...

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 8:02am On Mar 25, 2017
The culture of the people has a lot to play here. Here in this part of the world, the duty of the wife is to take good care of the family (cooking and washing inclusive) and anyone that has contrary stand to this would be termed uncultured or... ..... All these "I can't be his cook" or "wife not a cook" are more of the westerners (don't even think this existed during the time of the 'salafs') which is not a standard for us here. In our land here women are the manager of the home. We were even taught this in social studies, abi una don forget? wink
And on the husband helping out with the chores (not all the time though) is well understood and should be inculcated in the teachings of the male child...
Note: But there is nothing wrong if the husband can afford a maid to do part of the chores. Even cloths can be given to dry cleaners to wash if and if you are capable...

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by busar(m): 8:08am On Mar 25, 2017
AbdelKabir:

yeah i know that, i was just looking for the best scenario that will easily show the level of wickedness ....grin
cry cry
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 25, 2017
AbdelKabir:

So you think its because of your comment, ojogbon boushari(let me call it the way yoruba mothers call it) changed his mind? boushari(busar) is this true?
well, i subtly tried to know what his views are, on helping out with chores even if he subscribe to the view that it is obligatory on women to do that primarily. and i got what i wanted, which made me happy, also that was why i refrained from quoting you since i wasn't sure of his views....

No I don't think that........I was just stating that women should try to follow the mother of the believers (may Allah be pleased with them) Just as the men should try to follow the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him). I wasn't aware of his views either. I mean the reason I commented was because I wanted to state that having the opinion that it is not an obligation to cook or clean isn't gynocentric and that it is a valid opinion in Islam. My posts have not been about anyone in particular just the ideas.

same view i follow but not because i like it but because there is lack of clearcut evidence that its obligatory, i hope you didn't follow this opinion because you like it? be sincere...

I follow this opinion because of the reason I follow the opinion that niqab (even with all it's goodness) is not obligatory.

I understand what you are saying here, i also cook and i know its tiring and exhaustive, so a man should be gentle with his wife if she fails "once in a while", infact if a wife cooks a food the husband dont want at the moment, either he eats it and don't nag or simply leave it(giving a nice reason why in order not to hurt her feelings) this is sunnah, the prophet dont complain when he meets a food he doesn't like........

I will assume this is about a housewife.

i hear.... but as you've seen, the person who says its obligatory still says he will help in chores, islamqa says its obligatory but says men should be gentle with their wives if she falls short, all thess alludes to the point that they admit women need help in these things. A good wife should know that, she should cook for her husband even if he doesn't ask, and a good husband should know that he should help out if he isnt busy, infact it creates space for gisting(for a person like me), the wife wont be bored in the kitchen, and it creates more love and closeness between the couple.

Okay

if your husband agrees to this, do you think his family will? i mean, mama comes home(and decides to stay for a week) and she is not served food cooked by the wife(perhaps the husband might also help in some things) because the wife decided not to cook for whatever reasons best known to her, and you think it will work out fine? i pray oo...

Mama doesn't have to agree with everything really. I think the wife can try to cook for mama to make her feel loved and respected but if she cooked six days of the week and couldn't cook on one, it is okay.

eat out?? you want to have a dysfunctional home? if everyone neglected cooking, would you get where to "eat out"? or if your male child dont learn how to cook from you, when he gets a wife how do you expect him to help his wife(which is what you also want for yourself) when she falls short? I dont spend much on food because i cook myself unlike going out to eat where you spend much and you are not satisfied..... there are many implications with you and your family "eating out".

I think and I may be wrong, that you are getting an idea because I am pro cooking is not an obligation, you assume I mean a women shouldn't do it all, which isn't what I mean. I don't see anything wrong with eating out a few times during the week. I mean after cooking maybe like 4-5 times, I could call and be like hey I am really exhausted today, I don't think I will not be able to make dinner before you get back, do you mind getting something from a restaurant. And he will either be like yeah sure, I don't mind or I will come make and you something. *probably will get that response in my dream* so just eat out or buy something to eat.

yes, both parties should be willing to do things for each other even its not an obligation. And when its done, it shouldn't be seen as, "I'm doing him/her a favour anyway" its not an ideal fikr(mentality) And sincerely thats the main problem i have with all these...

I am not sure why you are getting the idea that I have the mentality that it is just a favour. My whole point ( well the point I have been trying to make) is that men should be more understanding. I think they will be more understanding if they see cooking and cleaning as voluntary.
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 25, 2017
I haven't really been much of a cultural person anyways. I accept some ideas and I reject some.

*All my post are made on the assumption that the woman/wife is working a full time job.
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Empiree: 3:00am On Mar 26, 2017
Excellent article:

When I first began studying Islam and getting involved in Islamic work, one of the major motivators for me was that this field would keep me away from the fitnah of the opposite gender. For every young man and woman, one of the greatest trials we face is dealing with members of the opposite gender without falling into sin. Originally, and it was naive of me, I thought Islamic work would put me in a position in which I would not have to deal with these situations. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

There is a trend among contemporary, practicing Muslims which I find ratherg disturbing, this trend is what I call a “Shaykhy Crush”. I have noticed at many Islamic events, from classes to conferences, practicing Muslim women who follow the Deen in dress and Ibadah, developing crushes and falling in love with the speakers and teachers. This has led to many dangerous scenarios.

The following are a few real life examples I have encountered:

1) At an Islamic course, some sisters were discussing how handsome the Shaykh is. When an elderly sister told them not to talk about him like that as he is married, they responded, “So what? We can still marry him,” and continued their discussion.

2) At an Islamic conference, many sisters were not discussing the content of the lectures but how beautiful the Imam sounded with his gorgeous French accent, or how “handsome and sweet” another Shaykh’s smile was. “It melts my heart” were words I heard.

3) Recently, a Shaykh took a second wife, this triggered a discussion online between sisters who admitted they were “going gaga” over him and wished they were his second wife.

4) A sister recently told a Shaykh that she is no longer satisfied with her husband as she is only attracted to students of knowledge now. A married sister told her teacher that she is unsatisfied with her husband and had a dream that she was married to him.

5) A Shaykh deleted his Facebook account because married women on Facebook were claiming to have fallen in love with him.

These are just few of many such incidents that I have encountered in this field. As to what is the cause of this, Allah knows best. Perhaps some of our sisters can shed some light on this for us in the comments section. It could be that studying Islam has been glamorized and students of knowledge are treated like celebrities or it could be that some Shuyookh unintentionally do things that attract women. Many times these feelings may be natural as Muslim women may see an ideal man in a married teacher of knowledge but acting upon this feelings is unwise. Furthermore, social engineering promoted by sites like Facebook makes behavior, like comments, that would never be acceptable face to face, seem normal. We have to remember that there is still a human behind that wall with a family. I do not know the exact causes but this is definitely a growing problem in Western countries.

The problems that arise from this situation are multiple; here are some of the major issues:

1) Corruption of a student of knowledge’s intentions. We, students, are human and love women just as much as the next man (I’m going to get in trouble for saying that), so when we are trying to teach Islam and keep ourselves and our thoughts chaste, the female fans don’t make it easy for us. I noticed many students of knowledge starting to dress smarter and act differently when they realize they have the attention of the single sisters and there is a major chance that this can affect their intention of teaching for the sake of Allah.

2) Too many single sisters want to marry a Shaykh, and some begin to consider polygamy. The problem here is that the Shaykh might not be interested in such a relationship, and in an extreme case or two, a Shaykh rejecting such a notion has led to jealousy and harassment of the Shaykh and his wife.

3) Married sisters begin to develop crushes on their teachers and start to compare their husbands to the teacher, which leads to dissatisfaction in their marriage and eventually marital conflicts.

4) Sometimes the Shaykh and his wife have a happy marital life until a sister (or two) ask him if he wants a second wife, without considering his current wife’s feelings. This can cause problems between the Shaykh and his wife, as well as jealousy and could lead to the breakdown of a once-happy marriage.

5) There is always the potential danger of Zina, even with students of knowledge especially if the attraction is mutual.

These are just some of the negative consequences of this trend. I would like to conclude with some advice for both the sisters and the Shaykhs.

Advice to sisters who are seeking knowledge:

1) Lower your gaze: Remember that he is your teacher, a man of Islamic knowledge and a married man too. So look at him with respect, not desire.

2) Purify your intentions: When attending a lecture, make a sincere intention to learn and benefit from the teacher for the sake of Allah, and do not attend just because Shaykh Yusuf is teaching and you love the sound of his voice. I do not want to discourage any sister from seeking knowledge, just gently reminding them of Shaytan’s plot.

3) Walk in her shoes: Think about his wife and her feelings and do not say or do anything that could cause a problem in their marriage.

4) Choose a husband realistically: Not every woman can marry a Shaykh, so focus on finding a good Muslim man who will care for you and do not compare him to the Shuyookh. Find a good guy and thank Allah for allowing you to marry him and appreciate his efforts to please you.

5) Modesty is key: Remember that talking about how handsome the Shaykh is against haya and not befitting students of knowledge to discuss their teacher in such a manner with each other.

Advice to young Shuyookh in dealing with this Fitnah:

1) Lower Your Gaze: Do not look at the sisters in the audience too much. Focus your gaze on the men in your audience. If there is a sister who attracts you or you know is attracted to you, do not look at her at all (without being rude or disrespectful).

2) Purify Your Intention: Always remember that you are teaching for the sake of Allah and not to attract a female fan club so behave appropriately and modestly.

3) Avoid any unnecessary interaction with women. Do not keep single sisters on your instant messenger contact list, or talk to them for hours on the phone, and if they catch you in the hallway to ask a question, keep it brief, polite and to the point.

4) Think about your wife: Anytime you are attracted to a student of yours, think about your wife and everything she does for you. Think about her sacrifices and this will fill you with guilt for even feeling such attraction to another woman.

5) Dress up better for your wife than others: It should not be such that whenever you go out to teach a class, you are dressed in your best thowb with your best Itr, while at home you do not bother looking (or smelling good) for your wife. Remember the example of Ibn Abbas and deal with your wife accordingly.

6) Get married: If you are serious about polygamy, do it the right way so that people do not gossip or spread rumors about you and you avoid breaking any sister’s heart.

I hope these tips help us all to remain firm on the straight path. Remember the devils spend more time trying to mislead those who are walking the righteous path and so we need to be careful of these pitfalls of Shaytaan in which he tries to use our good deeds (teaching, studying) to lead us to commit sins.

Anything good I have said is from Allah, and any mistakes are my own and we seek refuge in Allah from giving wrong advice and from all forms of fitnah.

http://muslimmatters.org/2011/06/06/shaykhy-crushes-trials-in-the-life-of-me[truncated by WhatsApp]
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Demmzy15(m): 1:38pm On Mar 26, 2017
Empiree:
angry angry undecided
Re: Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? by Empiree: 2:57pm On Mar 26, 2017
Demmzy15:

angry angry undecided
lol. .u and abdelkabir worried much about this. Well, that was copied as see written. Maybe I should have indicated that.

I do get their message they tried to pass but its transmission might not be appropriate. I dont have problems with it overall.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34) (Reply)

Are These Verses Really In The Quran? / Unmarried Hausa Couple Condemned For Posting This Picture / Miracle Baby Born With Quran At A White Garment Church In Mushin, Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.