Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:59 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (327527 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ahamdiheme: 11:24pm On Dec 27, 2014
That's very useful information, I will let you know once I start sending out applications. I have heard that Singapore is quite a curious country, one that opens her doors to researchers so that might be a good option as well. Do let me know when you are in town. One of our collaborators is from Sabanci, in fact she is on my jury.

wip7:

Boss,
Leave that boy....is NIPAM or SDS working!

I have met some guys from MIT during my last visit to Singapore early this year. There is a joint fellowship for 100 positions yearly. You may consider that as well cos the progression is great. Do not hesitate to let me know when all is set..i have a friend currently doing her MIT-SIN postdoc also in your region.

I will buzz you also when i come around to your end cos i have stuff doing with Sabanci next yr.....
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:31pm On Dec 27, 2014
ahamdiheme:
That's very useful information, I will let you know once I start sending out applications. I have heard that Singapore is quite a curious country, one that opens her doors to researchers so that might be a good option as well. Do let me know when you are in town. One of our collaborators is from Sabanci, in fact she is on my jury.

Pls try the MIT-SIN thing is very great. I spent one month in the facility of Singapore-MIT alliance village, I must confess you will never get bored with research and their pay is fantastic. From my little discussion with guys there, most of the postdocs are converted to full-time and you know is 12 months in Sin and 12 months in MIT cos is mostly 24 months stuff.

Yeah I will let you know when I am around in Sabanci, I am using their facilities and there are about 6 guys also from MIT in Sabanci and one of them was in my Msc Jury then.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:36pm On Dec 27, 2014
Theyjih:

Pls do I need it thanks.. impressive to say the least.. cool

Thanks a lot, are you working or doing any research in this field? if yes let me know.....
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:41pm On Dec 27, 2014
Do we have any researcher working on Nanomaterials for bio-medical, bio-environmental applications here? Let discuss. We have opened position for researcher in this field mainly in the framework of the EU project NanoDefine. You may Google it to read more.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Theyjih: 11:46pm On Dec 27, 2014
wip7:

Thanks a lot, are you working or doing any research in this field? if yes let me know.....
Research ? yeah ,with a small LLC (agro-allied) back @home.. elementary stage.... sourcing for published works as guide for the biodiesel energy project..nothing major !

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Truth234(m): 11:51pm On Dec 27, 2014
Theyjih:

Research ? yeah ,with a small LLC (agro-allied) back @home.. elementary stage.... sourcing for published works as guide for the biodiesel energy project..nothing major !

Malaysia just launched their B7 Biodiesel in November. You should be able to find something in that direction.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:03am On Dec 28, 2014
Theyjih:

Waow biodiesel is great. I produced that from waste fruits seeds, peels, waste vegetables and plant materials. Is actually easy stuff to do...we still have tested samples we produced. Do they use it in Nigeria now at commercial level? If you have great passion for it...you can tell me what raw materials you have abundant you want to use....I will tell you parameters to check and then you start that. Do you know you can produce it from used/waste cooking oil? I did and also instead of using NaOH an homogeneous catalyst..i decided to produce my own catalyst from Eggshell waste and used it as heterogeneous catalyst. You can produce the methanol you need for the conversion from cattle dung as well.

8 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Theyjih: 12:03am On Dec 28, 2014
Thanks would check em out
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Theyjih: 12:09am On Dec 28, 2014
@wip
It's gradually getting to that Level.(commercial scale in 9ja). the guys im working with since im off site are using one plant source and animal source.. jatropha and swine respectively ... its more like a backup for the wind system to power the ranch..
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 12:35am On Dec 28, 2014
Theyjih:
@wip
It's gradually getting to that Level.(commercial scale in 9ja). the guys im working with since im off site are using one plant source and animal source.. jatropha and swine respectively ... its more like a backup for the wind system to power the ranch..

Okay Jatropha is a good source cos is rugged and oil content within the seeds is high compared to the rapeseed normally used in Europe. Since its a ranch, if you guys have cattle there, then they don't need to buy alcohol (methanol) as solvent for the biodiesel production, they can produce from the animal dung. Also, the Glycerin obtain after biofuel production is also of high commercial value.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by pricelessmr: 6:30am On Dec 28, 2014
wip7:

Okay Jatropha is a good source cos is rugged and oil content within the seeds is high compared to the rapeseed normally used in Europe. Since its a ranch, if you guys have cattle there, then they don't need to buy alcohol (methanol) as solvent for the biodiesel production, they can produce from the animal dung. Also, the Glycerin obtain after biofuel production is also of high commercial value.

This interaction is getting more practically oriented. I'm actually interested in Renewable Energy (Hydrogen generation from water, utilized in electricity generation, biodesiel, any accessible renewable sources for electricity) .

Wip7, you have contributed greatly to this thread. Thank you.

Hope you won't mind if I pm you for some personal advice?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:47am On Dec 28, 2014
pricelessmr:

This interaction is getting more practically oriented. I'm actually interested in Renewable Energy (Hydrogen generation from water, utilized in electricity generation, biodesiel, any accessible renewable sources for electricity) .

Wip7, you have contributed greatly to this thread. Thank you.

Hope you won't mind if I pm you for some personal advice?

You can PM me regarding the research.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by scholag(f): 1:37pm On Dec 28, 2014
hilsocial:
My name is Hilary. I just graduated from FUTO ( Agric Economics) . I am interested in doing my M.Sc and Ph.D but i want to know how many years it will take for each and the average cost for each in Nigerian Universities and abroad. Thank you for your anticipated response.
I studied similar course at DELSU. Did my Masters at University of Ibadan...Looking forward to PhD and need info on that from you from as per what it takes in your school.
As for MSc at UI, it cost me close to 200,000 naira just the school fees for 18months aside textbooks, laptop, housing and others...
I don't know of other schools but I here Unilag is fast and sweet. Better still continue in ur school since its a federal school..
Re: Thread For PHD Students by scholag(f): 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2014
hi MOD,
I'm here for help as per PhD .
I've got B.A Agric Economics,
MSc Agric. Economics,
both in Nigeria and wish a scholarship PhD abroad...
Or still Nigeria although with scholarship...
I need advice on the best field to pursue now ....
Saw the links and will check them out.
Nice work Op/MOD
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:20pm On Dec 28, 2014
scholag:
hi MOD,
I'm here for help as per PhD .
I've got B.A Agric Economics,
MSc Agric. Economics,
both in Nigeria and wish a scholarship PhD abroad...
Or still Nigeria although with scholarship...
I need advice on the best field to pursue now ....
Saw the links and will check them out.
Nice work Op/MOD

It's nice to hear you are doing great. There are possibilities to find scholarship/fellowship abroad and it depends on your academic status. Try to answer the following questions and then I can suggest links.

1. Have you published any articles, attend standard conference/s which your work/s were published?

2. Is your MSc thesis of national or international value?

3. Kindly state your thesis title.

4. Which area will you like to pursue your PhD and what do you hope to achieve or problem you hope to solve ?

5. What technical skills do you possess? Are you good at mathematical modelings ( statistical optimization of economic models, simulation of Econ models for prediction)?

These will help you to fine tune your direction and these are some of the features of PhD students or PhD candidates.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by scholag(f): 3:02pm On Dec 28, 2014
Priceless24:

Bros, when you have single handedly solved 0.1% of one problem in Nigeria come back and I will join you in castigating them, for now go and rest
Your moniker is sure representing....tell that nigga that's spouting insults () to go hug the nearest high voltage transformer pls.
He's just busy trolling and messing up the nicest thread so far.....Arrrrrrrghhhh!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by scholag(f): 3:09pm On Dec 28, 2014
wip7:

It's nice to hear you are doing great. There are possibilities to find scholarship/fellowship abroad and it depends on your academic status. Try to answer the following questions and then I can suggest links.

1. Have you published any articles, attend standard conference/s which your work/s were published?

2. Is your MSc thesis of national or international value?

3. Kindly state your thesis title.

4. Which area will you like to pursue your PhD and what do you hope to achieve or problem you hope to solve ?

5. What technical skills do you possess? Are you good at mathematical modelings ( statistical optimization of economic models, simulation of Econ models for prediction)?

These will help you to fine tune your direction and these are some of the features of PhD students or PhD candidates.
I have written although 'collabo' 2 papers. As for my MSc thesis, it was on welfare Economics of rural people...
Yeah, I can simulate Economic models for predictions atleast to an extent and could do better if well mentored.
So please, any further guidance will help plus thanks for your reply.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 28, 2014
scholag:

Your moniker is sure representing....tell that nigga that's spouting insults () to go hug the nearest high voltage transformer pls.
He's just busy trolling and messing up the nicest thread so far.....Arrrrrrrghhhh!
I am not trolling, you twerp! That is good for you for thinking too much of yourself. Try to spell words correctly before even quoting any of my posts.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 28, 2014
scholag:

I have written although 'collabo' 2 papers. As for my MSc thesis, it was on welfare Economics of rural people...
Yeah, I can simulate Economic models for predictions atleast to an extent and could do better if well mentored.
How were you able to write your thesis ? Indeed, I am baffled by your poor English language writing skills.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by scholag(f): 3:18pm On Dec 28, 2014
Roundabout:

You're right,for the Msc, UI!,but,I enrolled for the PhD in FUTA.
Roundabout sir, pls how's FUTA like for me? I already contacted a Prof. I met during NYSC who happens to be my departmental HOD right there in FUTA but he wants us to meet and discuss my interest. I live 3 states away but will try and see him sometime soon. Although you could help me out by finding out the necessaries...thanks boss!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 28, 2014
wip7:

Waow...Yes Nigeria is a great country and place...There are many things i have seen there in Nigeria that we buy very expensive here but they are so abundant and wasting in Nigeria. So i will come to Nigeria and make very good money cos is a rich nation with too many raw materials that are wasting. ....Do you know in Nigeria, they have plenty algea, coconut, etc?

My friend brought some algea from Nigeria and waow just little bag like 5kg, we got 3Kg sodium alginate from it...thats goes for 300 pounds. imagine he only uprooted the algea from one bush in Nigeria.......so you use too much money to make.....I love Nigeria, Nigerian people and Africa....Am a Nigerian cos i love that green passport and i always hide that other colored passport when am traveling.
I am ashamed of you looking at the line in bold. That is the same mentality that doesn't help to develop and move that nation forward. It is very sad though. Nigerians aren't as intelligent as I think. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Thread For PHD Students by scholag(f): 3:20pm On Dec 28, 2014
all4naija:

How were you able to write your thesis ? Indeed, I am baffled by your poor English language writing skills.
Simply put, get off this thread nigga!!!
Seeking for attention right?! Check the nearest tavern.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by samtol4(m): 3:26pm On Dec 28, 2014
scholag:

Roundabout sir, pls how's FUTA like for me? I already contacted a Prof. I met during NYSC who happens to be my departmental HOD right there in FUTA but he wants us to meet and discuss my interest. I live 3 states away but will try and see him sometime soon. Although you could help me out by finding out the necessaries...thanks boss!
My Dear you sound intelligent and determine to pursue your dreams which I admire greatly .Please look outside Nigeria for your PhD the benefits are enormous .

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 3:27pm On Dec 28, 2014
scholag:

Do you want to continue same field in your PhD? if yes, i will suggest you are more specific on the parameters you checked about the welfare and seems to me the thesis is more of national value. Try to adapt it to international value cos if you want fellowship abroad, you must be able to convince the awarding organization how your work will be of value international wise. Suggest PhD area and let it be more modern and practical, then other suggestions will flow.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 28, 2014
ahamdiheme:

Can you quietly bow out of this thread and stop exhibiting your ignorance in public? If you have nothing of note to contribute please keep quiet. From your posts, I can tell that you don't even have a clue of what a PhD is meant to achieve/contribute. Wip has been patient and kind enough to try and enlighten you but you won't humble your ignorant self.
Run along now and don't expose your folly any more than you have already.

@wip thanks for the encouragement boss and I hope all's good with you. I met with some Profs from MIT, Microsoft, Siemens and Toshiba in Italy this summer and they were quite interested in my work, and said I am welcome to join their group once I'm done. So of course I will explore those opportunities and look out for others.
Please, stop being petulant. The idea you are trying to bring into this heated debate is still the same idea that kept most Nigerians in their ignorance. All you expect me to do is not to question PhD holders of what I find disturbing about them. For the fact that you are like one of those Nigerians who worship pastors stealing from them in Sunday congregation makes me a little perturbed about your very notion on what my posts are all about.

Don't you in your arrogance try to insult me again or I would retaliate with harsh ones. I think you are the person who doesn't know what PhD is all about. Most well known PhD holders serve the community and mean well for their various nations through their researches and experiment. And, here you are making mess of yourself trying to act tough. Please... angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 28, 2014
scholag:

Simply put, get off this thread nigga!!!
Seeking for attention right?! Check the nearest tavern.
You should get off this thread, b i t c h!I didn't quote you first! angry angry angry angry
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 28, 2014
wip7:

Pls try the MIT-SIN thing is very great. I spent one month in the facility of Singapore-MIT alliance village, I must confess you will never get bored with research and their pay is fantastic. From my little discussion with guys there, most of the postdocs are converted to full-time and you know is 12 months in Sin and 12 months in MIT cos is mostly 24 months stuff.

Yeah I will let you know when I am around in Sabanci, I am using their facilities and there are about 6 guys also from MIT in Sabanci and one of them was in my Msc Jury then.
Leaving your fatherland to rot while finding interest in other nations. Bleh! What a bunch of self-aggrandizing fellows.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by ahamdiheme: 3:37pm On Dec 28, 2014
all4naija:

Please, stop being petulant. The idea you are trying to bring into this heated debate is still the same idea that kept most Nigerians in their ignorance. All you expect me to do is not to question PhD holders of what I find disturbing about them. For the fact that you are like one of those Nigerians who worship pastors stealing from them in Sunday congregation makes me a little perturbed about you very notion on what my posts are all about.

Don't you in your arrogance try to insult me again or I would retaliate with harsh ones. I think you are the person who doesn't know what PhD is all about. Most well known PhD holders serve the community and mean well for their various nations through their researches and experiment. And, here you are making mess of yourself trying to act tough. Please... angry angry angry angry

Are you threatening me, oh keyboard warrior? smiley You are not questioning, not even making constructive criticisms; all you are doing is trying your very best to ridicule people on here. Come back when you grow up, until then I will ignore you as you are dragging me down to your pitiful level.

The best way to deal with this troll is to ignore him, just don't reply to anything he says. He's behind a screen and that's where he will remain, nothing he says is of any worth. Ignore the troll and he'll find his way.

Best wishes to all the researchers and potential researchers in the house

7 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 3:41pm On Dec 28, 2014
scholag:

You may look into these and see how you can adapt it to your area:

1. Rural People’s Reliance on Non-Forests and Forest Environment in Africa: Nigeria as a case study

2. Socio-economic parameters on household bio-based energy consumption and energy substitution in rural area

3. Under-investment in agricultural assets and dynamic asset poverty in rural area of Africa

4. Poverty, poor growth and inequality in rural Africa: Economic perspectives

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 28, 2014
ahamdiheme:

Are you threatening me, oh keyboard warrior? smiley You are not questioning, not even making constructive criticisms; all you are doing is trying your very best to ridicule people on here. Come back when you grow up, until then I will ignore you as you are dragging me down to your pitiful level.

The best way to deal with this troll is to ignore him, just don't reply to anything he says. He's behind a screen and that's where he will remain, nothing he says is of any worth. Ignore the troll and he'll find his way.

Best wishes to all the researchers and potential researchers in the house

No, I am not! You are begging the question though. Not from a stimulating perspective but from a negative angle. My take on this thread's topic is very well based on what I find disturbing about Nigerian PhD certificates and it's not about criticism. Nigerians have overused that cliche in many wrong ways that it has lost its meaning. It has become a common word in the areas it is supposed not to be used. I am dumbstruck to see you using it here to explain what I am trying to ship into the discussion remotely from what I am talking about.

I am not a PhD nor an MSC holder. I said it before that I am a young Nigerian who believes the PhD certificate holders can help to move the nation forward. Having said that, I expect them to exhibit the qualities of PhD holders and I am surprised of what I see here to be questionable about their high knowledge.

I have been called a troll many times in this forum for speaking out on the truth of the matter. While you are dodging my well expressed views on the state of the Nigerian PhD holders on this thread is still something I cannot understand. I only find it exhilarating to the least of my comprehension of what you are going after for people to ignore me. I stand my grand to be challenged by those who think there is no intelligence in what I have said so far to prove me wrong.

Thank you.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 28, 2014
wip7:

You may look into these and see how you can adapt it to your area:

1. Rural People’s Reliance on Non-Forests and Forest Environment in Africa: Nigeria as a case study

2. Socio-economic parameters on household bio-based energy consumption and energy substitution in rural area

3. Under-investment in agricultural assets and dynamic asset poverty in rural area of Africa

4. Poverty, poor growth and inequality in rural Africa: Economic perspectives
Thank you very much for the list. Let the focus be on solving the Nigeria's problems first. The list is very important to the nation building. They are parts of the fabric of a working developed society.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2014
all4naija:

No, I am not! You are begging the question though. Not from a stimulating perspective but from a negative angle. My take on this thread's topic is very well based on what I find disturbing about Nigerian PhD certificates and it's not about criticism. Nigerians have overused that cliche in many wrong ways that it has lost its meaning. It has become a common word in the areas it is supposed not to be used. I am dumbstruck to see you using it here to explain what I am trying to ship into the discussion remotely from what I am talking about.

I am not a PhD nor an MSC holder. I said it before that I am a young Nigerian who believes the PhD certificate holders can help to move the nation forward. Having said that, I expect them to exhibit the qualities of PhD holders and I am surprised of what I see here to be questionable about their high knowledge.

I have been called a troll many times in this forum for speaking out on the truth of the matter. While you are dodging my well expressed views on the state of the Nigerian PhD holders on this thread is still something I cannot understand. I only find it exhilarating to the least of my comprehension of what you are going after for people to ignore me. I stand my grand to be challenged by those who think there is no intelligence in what I have said so far to prove me wrong.

Thank you.

Absurd... exhilarating? You should check out the meaning of that word as it is completely bizarre there.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.