Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? (11524 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 5:17pm On Dec 27, 2014
Matthewbriggs:
This thread is very funny... cheesy cheesy cheesy . and people wonder why I do not take NL femnists serious.

Most times they sound like Trolls.
Now I know what the term 'Troll' means, I agree.

Haba. What kind of question is this 'is it compulsory to change your name' as if they are forcing them. They shouldn't change it na and remain single god abeg o. They talk as if they are being forced into marriage when in fact they are the ones looking for men up and down. Man is not their head, man is not their head yet they will go and hide inside room when the man is paying their bride price...They'll wait for man to ask them out and then become irritable when the man doesn't notice them; they will never take up any of the responsibilities of men but are quick to rake and take offence when their responsibilities are being questioned. Rubbish.

Its the men who agree for the woman to retain her name after paying her bride price that I blame. Rubbish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 27, 2014
DukeNija:

Can you please elucidate on how Chimamanda is a role model to single and married people, including me.
I was giving the dude a rebutal.
He was implying that Adichie is a frustrated single woman and also a role model to her type, probably.

Chimamanda ain't my role model neither do I have a role model.

My post is that she's role model to anyone that cares to follow her path whether single or married woman. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

Its the men who agree for the woman to retain her name after paying her bride price that I blame. Rubbish.
Women call us "husband" material. gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 5:34pm On Dec 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

Women call us "husband" material. gringrin
And then say you are 'woman wrapper' a year after the wedding.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

And then say you are 'woman wrapper' a year after the wedding.
What's your definition of woman wrapper?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 5:42pm On Dec 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

What's your definition of woman wrapper?
A man who cannot head his own house.
A man who obliges all the whims and caprices of his wife regardless of how silly they are just to keep her happy
A man who allows the woman make the final decision in the house.
A man whose wife will tell him to wash the clothes while she watches Africamagic.
A man who has to beg her repeatedly before she allows him go out anywhere.
A man who is afraid to talk to another woman in public lest his wife skins him alive.
A man who will allow his wife keep her name not realising that by changing her name to his own he has declared that he is her fortress, her protector and her king and under his jurisdiction. A public declaration that all other males should keep off or face the consequences.
A wimp of a man

Funny enough, such men usually have their women stolen from them by more domineering males.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Matthewbriggs(m): 5:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
@ FrancisTony I agree with royver. I also think you are a woman. Not because of your opinion.

But because of the way you write and sound grin .

I might be wrong.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

A man who cannot head his own house.
A man who obliges all the whims and caprices of his wife regardless of how silly they are just to keep her happy
A man who allows the woman make the final decision in the house.
A man whose wife will tell him to wash the clothes while she watches Africamagic.
A man who has to beg her repeatedly before she allows him go out anywhere.
A man who is afraid to talk to another woman in public lest his wife skins him alive.
A man who will allow his wife keep her name not realising that by changing her name to his own he has declared that he is her fortress, her protector and her king and under his jurisdiction. A public declaration that all other males should keep off or face the consequences.
A wimp of a man

Funny enough, such men usually have their women stolen from them by more domineering males.
I don't see how allowing a woman to answer her name fit into the category of what you wrote.

That's tolerance. What shall it profit me to divorce a woman over a trivial matter? smiley

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 27, 2014
Matthewbriggs:
@ FrancisTony I agree with royver. I also think you are a woman. Not because of your opinion.

But because of the way you write and sound grin .

I might be wrong.
So, what do you think? I'm disguising as a Man? grin

I've met some Nairalanders in a real world.

No woman would want to be a man on NAIRALAND. That's a bad market for attention-seeking except LESBIANS. grin

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Matthewbriggs(m): 6:11pm On Dec 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

So, what do you think? I'm disguising as a Man? grin

I've met some Nairalanders in a real world.

No woman would want to be a man on NAIRALAND. That's a bad market for attention-seeking except LESBIANS. grin

@bolded I am not sure. But that's the vibe I get from your posts.

#Justsaying.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 27, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

@bolded I am not sure. But that's the vibe I get from your posts.

#Justsaying.
You could also suspect Mynd44.

He's one helluva dude that don't bìtch on women. grin
I just hate how Nairalanders bash women. So annoying!

6 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2014
Anyone who needs to know the meaning of feminisim or what it stands for or what it has fought for can consult google. It is an information age

7 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 6:30pm On Dec 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

I don't see how allowing a woman to answer her name fit into the category of what you wrote.

That's tolerance. What shall it profit me to divorce a woman over a trivial matter? smiley
That's not tolerance. That's stupidity. Especially when deep down you don't agree with it but you agree because you are desperate to keep her.

And who the hell talked about divorce now This is not a divorce matter. When you want to marry the issue will come up. Its left for you as the man to agree since you see nothing wrong with it or refuse since you regard your own name with pride and intend to give it as an honourable title to whichever woman you decide to add to your family.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Matthewbriggs(m): 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

He's one helluva of a dude that don't bìtch on women. grin

Na I am not stating this because of you defending women ... Not at all.

I have done that a couple of times when it makes absolute sense. Their are tons of guys who do that ... When necessary.

I am just referring to the way you write and express your self. You sounds feminine ... if you are truly a male. Maybe that's a part of you that you are yet to fully embrace.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

That's not tolerance. That's stupidity. Especially when deep down you don't agree with it but you agree because you are desperate to keep her.

And who the hell talked about divorce now This is not a divorce matter. When you want to marry the issue will come up. Its left for you as the man to agree since you see nothing wrong with it or refuse since you regard your own name with pride and intend to give it as an honourable title to whichever woman you decide to add to your family.
Seriously...a woman deciding not to answer my surname isn't a big deal.

I can only worry when she decideds to give our children her own name.
That's woman-wrappering.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 27, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

I have done that a couple of times when it makes absolute sense. Their are tons of guys who do that ... When necessary.

I am just referring to the way you write and express your self. You sounds feminine ... if you are truly a male. Maybe that's a part of you that you are yet to fully embrace.
Okay! Not bad. grin
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 6:50pm On Dec 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

He's one helluva of a dude that don't bìtch on women. grin
Since I joined Nairaland it has been my observation that it is the women that start the bashing first! A person posts an innocent comment on a thread and before you know it some particular group of females with heavy emotional baggage come and start transferring unnecessary aggression to the person. I have had cause to go back to my post and re-read it because I want to find out what is warranting the insults.

Its Nairaland women that bash men(not all of them) and now the men have learned to reciprocate.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 7:30pm On Dec 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

Seriously...a woman deciding not to answer my surname isn't a big deal.

I can only worry when she decideds to give our children her own name.
That's woman-wrappering.
And why is the first one not a big deal but the second one is?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 8:04pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

Now I know what the term 'Troll' means, I agree.

Haba. What kind of question is this 'is it compulsory to change your name' as if they are forcing them. They shouldn't change it na and remain single god abeg o. They talk as if they are being forced into marriage when in fact they are the ones looking for men up and down. Man is not their head, man is not their head yet they will go and hide inside room when the man is paying their bride price...They'll wait for man to ask them out and then become irritable when the man doesn't notice them; they will never take up any of the responsibilities of men but are quick to rake and take offence when their responsibilities are being questioned. Rubbish.

According to you, if a man does not pay bride price, the woman has the right to retain her name?

Do whites still pay bride price?

You guys should stop tying everything to finance, money, payment etc. Else when things go south (God forbid), you lose the supposed grip you have on your women

See mentioning bride price like it is enough to buy a human being. I do not know why the whole bride price nonsense is not cancelled so we see what next the men hold unto

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 8:24pm On Dec 27, 2014
bukatyne:

According to you, if a man does not pay bride price, the woman has the right to retain her name?

You guys should stop tying everything to finance, money, payment etc. Else when things go south (God forbid), you lose the supposed grip you have on your women

See mentioning bride price like it is enough to buy a human being. I do not know why the whole bride price nonsense is not cancelled so we see what next the men hold unto

For your first statement YES!,that is how it is here and I don't give a hoot how the whites do it cos I am not white.

For your third statement it is you ladies that tie everything to finance, if your man is a Dangote am sure you wont have any qualms dropping your name for his own!

Abeg go siddon. If you are already married am sure someone paid your bride price and you didn't object and if you are single am sure someone will pay your bride price and you'll be smiling like a Cheshire cat in your room instead of standing up against it.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 8:30pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

For your first statement YES!,that is how it is here and I don't give a hoot how the whites do it cos u am not white.

For your third statement it is you ladies that tie everything to finance, if your man is a Dangote am sure you wont have any qualms dropping your name for his own!

Abeg go siddon. If you are already married am sure someone paid your bride price and you didn't object and if you are single am sure someone will pay your bride price and you'll be smiling like a Cheshire cat in your room instead of standing up against it.

Interesting. So ladies, demand your family does not collect bride price and you can bear whatever name you wish

I threw whites into the mix because last I remembered, they don't pay bride price and they still adopt their husbands' surname so BP is definitely not the magic.

Men tie everything to finance... heard it is my house and so A B C etc. etc.

@Marriage, not all tribes collect bride price. And brides do not smile like cats because bride price exchange hands; it is because they are marrying their lovers/rich maga / after searching etc. I assure you that if no BP is paid, as long as the wedding takes place, perfect grin
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

And why is the first one not a big deal but the second one is?
First one, she ain't pushing me.

Second one, she's doing so...
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 8:36pm On Dec 27, 2014
bukatyne:

we would hold onto our manliness or would that also be cut off

by the way, what do feminist like you want am serious cause I need real answers...
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Shirley07: 8:40pm On Dec 27, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

With the way you whine and your constant epistles, you sound more like a goat. My humble submission.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 8:44pm On Dec 27, 2014
okotv:
we would hold onto our manliness or would that also be cut off

by the way, what do feminist like you want am serious cause I need real answers...

This thread is not even about feminism (to me)

I am just telling him that paying BP as a reason of women adopting Hubby 's surname is off

Some people do not pay and wife still adopt.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by cococandy(f): 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2014
bukatyne:

Na lie. Every thread on family section is about feminism. Whether it applies or not.

As long as it is a thread, just give it a minute and the whiners will find a way to link it to feminism and start whining.

Even those that can't explain what feminism means:

6 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 8:50pm On Dec 27, 2014
bukatyne:

I am just telling him that paying BP as a reason of women adopting Hubby 's surname is off

Some people do not pay and wife still adopt.
that's for you both, it's even biblical to pay bride price but as for the name taking, its up to the couples. like carefreewannabe would say, 'to each is own'.

As for my question, can you just point me to were I. iulf get answers, links or quoting on a separate thread. I could learn a thing or two you know.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 8:51pm On Dec 27, 2014
cococandy:

Na lie. Every thread on family section is about feminism. Whether it applies or not.

As long as it is a thread, just give it a minute and the whiners will find a way to link it to feminism and start whining.

your attempt at sarcasm is appalling

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by tpia003: 8:52pm On Dec 27, 2014
I thought nl rules say do not repeat threads?

Why isn't this one closed?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 8:54pm On Dec 27, 2014
cococandy:

I honestly do not see the correlation between name change and feminism

Well well
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 8:56pm On Dec 27, 2014
okotv:
that's for you both, it's even biblical to pay bride price but as for the name taking, its up to the couples. like carefreewannabe would say, 'to each is own'.

As for my question, can you just point me to were I. iulf get answers, links or quoting on a separate thread. I could learn a thing or two you know.

Please open a new thread, I will respond

Thanks
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 8:58pm On Dec 27, 2014
bukatyne:

Please open a new thread, I will respond

Thanks
okay. Monday after my examinations. Fellow feminists are all invited too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Fear Of Failure Could Become Failure Itself / Which Washing Machine Should I Go For Budget Of 45 - 55k / My Brother In Law Slapped Me Twice And Beat Me Up!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.