Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,978 members, 7,814,334 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? (11536 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by cococandy(f): 9:00pm On Dec 27, 2014
bukatyne:

I honestly do not see the correlation between name change and feminism

Well well

There's always a connection as long as it is family section.
Feminism is connected to everything.

From the very mundane stuff like the million year old squabbles every normal couple has to totally unrelated stuff like house chores.
trust someone to chip in feminism in order to try sound smart.

The pointlessness never ends. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 9:03pm On Dec 27, 2014
okotv:
okay. Monday after my examinations. Fellow feminists are all invited too.

No problem
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2014
bukatyne:

Interesting. So ladies, demand your family does not collect bride price and you can bear whatever name you wish

I threw whites into the mix because last I remembered, they don't pay bride price and they still adopt their husbands' surname so BP is definitely not the magic.

Men tie everything to finance... heard it is my house and so A B C etc. etc.

@Marriage, not all tribes collect bride price. And brides do not smile like cats because bride price exchange hands; it is because they are marrying their lovers/rich maga / after searching etc. I assure you that if no BP is paid, as long as the wedding takes place, perfect grin
Your sarcasm is noted but useless in this matter. Bride price is symbolic and a very important part of our tradition. You can read it any other way you like I don't care.

Throwing whites into the mix may help you because they are your standard. They are not mine.

Saying men tie everything to finance are your words not mine. And yet a woman won't go near a man for marriage if he is not financially stable. Funny ain't it?

@Marriage, not all tribes collect bride price. And brides do not smile like cats because bride price exchange hands; it is because they are marrying their lovers/rich maga / after searching

Hahhahahhaaha! So you agree they search eh? Then you think it is name change that will make them lose such men when they find them? I think not!
And its interesting you mentioned rich maga grin And yet you think its men that tie everything to finance grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 9:08pm On Dec 27, 2014
5minsmadness:

Your sarcasm is noted but useless in this matter. Bride price is symbolic and a very important part of our tradition. You can read it any other way you like I don't care.

Throwing whites into the mix may help you because they are your standard. They are not mine.

Saying men tie everything to finance are your words not mine. And yet a woman won't go near a man for marriage if he is not financially stable. Funny ain't it?

Hahhahahhaaha! So you agree they search eh? Then you think it is name change that will make them lose such men when they find them? I think not!
And its interesting you mentioned rich maga grin And yet you think its men that tie everything to finance grin

Goodnight
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 12:42am On Dec 28, 2014
bukatyne:

Goodnight
Nitey night to you too ma'm.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by DanielGb(m): 1:43am On Dec 28, 2014
bukatyne:
Feminism is not about changing surnames and unhappy wives etc.

feminist wants equal right. Automatically means equal power. Is dat possible? And if it is, den d place and relevance of man is lost.

Women are created like men nt as men. Nd dats why, God make d man rule over is own woman and his entire house hold.

You want CONFIDENT, BOLD AND BRAVE DUDE, didnt u? All because you believe 'Men are to be In-control, be in-charge.' >don't u Wonder Y most ladies wont marry short/dwarf guys? instead she will prefer tall, physically good looking guys with a fitted body Because, in a short/ dwarf man, the woman could not see a sign of 'AUTHORITY'

Feminism...
Since women are like men, then they cn act like men, may b nt as real men. A good man will support his wife as d woman wil do but, wat d man can't stand is d competition.

#MY BELIEVE#
...She need not to be TOO ambitious. Nd if she make a great success she must submit herself. Watch Beyonce and Kim Kardashin.

All men loves to be IN CONTROL.

A wise and rich women will stil allow her husband to control her.

Read more@:
www.globalexploit..com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by red101(f): 1:55am On Dec 28, 2014
it's not compulsory for a woman to take her husband's name... many couples are now hyphenating their name, keeping their names separately or even blending their names. I met a kid the other day and his last name was a combination of his mom and dad's last names.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 5:56am On Dec 28, 2014
DanielGb:

feminist wants equal right. Automatically means equal power. Is dat possible? And if it is, den d place and relevance of man is lost.

Women are created like men nt as men. Nd dats why, God make d man rule over is own woman and his entire house hold.

You want CONFIDENT, BOLD AND BRAVE DUDE, didnt u? All because you believe 'Men are to be In-control, be in-charge.' >don't u Wonder Y most ladies wont marry short/dwarf guys? instead she will prefer tall, physically good looking guys with a fitted body Because, in a short/ dwarf man, the woman could not see a sign of 'AUTHORITY'

Feminism...
Since women are like men, then they cn act like men, may b nt as real men. A good man will support his wife as d woman wil do but, wat d man can't stand is d competition.

#MY BELIEVE#
...She need not to be TOO ambitious. Nd if she make a great success she must submit herself. Watch Beyonce and Kim Kardashin.

All men loves to be IN CONTROL.

A wise and rich women will stil allow her husband to control her.

Read more@:
www.globalexploit..com

OK and thanks

However will not read that link.

Have a blessed Sunday

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 28, 2014
The google explanation of feminism is
The doctrine and the political movement based on it is that women should have the same economic, social, and political rights as men.

So What I expect to see is women fighting for equal pay, equal number of seats in parliament, equal recognition in their professions etc
But I tend to see feminism mainly mentioned in the family section . . .

I guess people may argue that it all starts in the home, but can we be taken serious if we are fighing over who should do the dishes or change the babys diapers when in some countrys women are not even allowed to drive. In some places in Nigeria, widows have their heads shaved and made to drink water that was used to bath their dead husbands. Some widows are chased out of their homes with nothing when their husband dies.
Isnt that what we should be focussing on?

What I still dont understand is a Nigerian woman shouting feminism, but still expects her man to provide for her, put a roof over her head and buy recharge cards for her, throw a birthday party for her or he is called stingy and in some cases she still exhanges her body in exhange for favours and money.
When a car breaks down, its still the guy that pushes while the woman stays back. . . is that feminism?

Like I said, I still dont understand this flavour of feminism. The One I understand has been detailed on google. The one that fought for women to vote and for girls to be sent to school.

I said it before and I say it again. Both sexes have their own roles to play. There is the provider and there is the nuturer. That is how nature intended it. Of course there can/will be cross over. . . . .finally . . no sex is better than othe other. . . different; Yes!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 28, 2014
red101:
it's not compulsory for a woman to take her husband's name... many couples are now hyphenating their name, keeping their names separately or even blending their names. I met a kid the other day and his last name was a combination of his mom and dad's last names.

Absolutely
If they are both in agreement . . no wahala
The Spanish have 2 surnames
Their mothers name and their fathers name
That is their culture

The problem comes when the man is not in agreement with it and there is no other reason for the woman insisting on keeping the name, but for fighting for equal rights, then they both wont have peace in the marriage
What is the point of getting married, if you wont have peace? Might as well remain single and enjoy a peaceful life.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by babygirlfl: 12:40pm On Dec 28, 2014
chaircover:
The doctrine and the political movement based on it is that women should have the same economic, social, and political rights as men.

So What I expect to see is women fighting for equal pay, equal number of seats in parliament, equal recognition in their professions etc

That is the definition of feminism and what you listed above is what most feminists are fighting for. Yes feminism is mentioned mainly in the family section because people bring it into every topic whether it has anything to do with feminism or not. Basically, as soon as you disagree with some posters, you are called a feminist and whetever you comment and whatever you do, you are doing it because you are a feminist.

chaircover:

I guess people may argue that it all starts in the home, but can we be taken serious if we are fighing over who should do the dishes or change the babys diapers when in some countrys women are not even allowed to drive. In some places in Nigeria, widows have their heads shaved and made to drink water that was used to bath their dead husbands. Some widows are chased out of their homes with nothing when their husband dies.

Again some women or feminists are fighting for widows and for widows to have rights or even teaching women not to make themselves victims by asking that their names appear along with their husbands name in properties owned while married as that is the surest way they can not be chased out of their husbands house without anything.

On the issue of dishes, house chores and diapers, These are some of the topics that has nothing to do with feminism but some posters just make it about feminism. I think it has everything to do with common sense and not feminism. If you are carring your baby and he/she makes a mess it is common sense to change the diapers. If you both work, there is nothing wrong in both of you doing chores. I have seen families where there is nothing like feminism living like that.

chaircover:

What I still dont understand is a Nigerian woman shouting feminism, but still expects her man to provide for her, put a roof over her head and buy recharge cards for her, throw a birthday party for her or he is called stingy and in some cases she still exhanges her body in exhange for favours and money.
When a car breaks down, its still the guy that pushes while the woman stays back. . . is that feminism?

One Nigerian woman should not pay for the crime of another Nigerian woman. A woman that believes in the above is not a feminist. Most feminists I know don't believe that a man should do all that for them. They believe in working for their money. The question now is should these women be classified together with the type of women above?

chaircover:

Like I said, I still dont understand this flavour of feminism. The One I understand has been detailed on google. The one that fought for women to vote and for girls to be sent to school.

That is the same feminism most people are trying to practice only that in this family section people bring it up in all topics and make it look like feminists are fighting for whatever petty thing the topic is talking about. For example the topic we are discussing has nothing to do with feminism but again it has turned into a feminist thing because they have forgotten that there many reason why a woman may not take her husbands name.

chaircover:

I said it before and I say it again. Both sexes have their own roles to play. There is the provider and there is the nuturer. That is how nature intended it. Of course there can/will be cross over. . . . .finally . . no sex is better than othe other. . . different; Yes!

Whether it was nature or nuture or society that made those roles is a topic for another day. I will comment on the bolded.
@ The bolded, you are not saying anything different from what most feminist say. With regards to cross over of roles, women are doing non-traditional roles of providing for the family, However some men think they should not do roles traditionally seen as a woman's role.

I think everyone knows that both sexes are different however, some men think that translate to them being superior to women.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 28, 2014
chaircover:

Absolutely
That is their culture
The problem comes when the man is not in agreement with it and there is no other reason for the woman insisting on keeping the name, but for fighting for equal rights, then they both wont have peace in the marriage
What is the point of getting married, if you wont have peace? Might as well remain single and enjoy a peaceful life.

Well all my life I have worked and still work for these things.
I also advocate against this selfish version being perpuated. Like I said we are Christains, Christianity is abused daily by the ignorant and wicked pastors but it doesn't translate to all Christains practicing in Nigeria are fake Christains does it?

If someone pulls feminsim crap and still wants her bills paid and everything done for her call her out on it amd educate her on it instead of grouping all Nigerian women in same category

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by crackhaus: 4:11pm On Dec 28, 2014
bukatyne:

I honestly do not see the correlation between name change and feminism

Well well
Bukatyne, Bukatyne... na two times I call you oo, so you don't know how feminism got infused into this topic of name change or how it correlates? gringrin

I believe it was the Vickyy moniker or someone else who brought feminism into this topic when they mentioned Chimamanda Adichie and Beyonce - or have you forgotten? grin

The correlation between name change and feminism is simple. According to the person who mentioned it, Chimamanda is a well known feminist who did not change her last name.
Chimamanda believes that taking a man's surname makes a woman lose her own identity, and thus, will only be regarded as an appendage of the man.
She thinks this is what feminism is about - emancipating the woman in marriage and placing her on equal footing with her husband via keeping her own maiden name as the first step.

Honestly, do you not see how silly that sounds? This is just a case of fighting the wrong battles which mean absolutely nothing in the long run.
That a woman hyphenates her surname or keeps it totally without attaching her husbands', does not automatically mean she earns more respect, neither does it make her immune or just totally exempted from being abused/mistreated by him (if that's the kind of person he is).

This here is the person you pseudo-feminists take on as a role model. A person whose sense of worth and identity are dependent on the last name she answers...because according to her, as a feminist she must never be under any man and one way to go about this, is to stick to her maiden name after marriage... Lmao! cheesy
And you people wonder why I and other guys think this Chimamanda lady has self-esteem and self-worth issues that must have stuck with her from childhood.

She is a brilliant writer no doubt, but that's about it - just like you lot did, she picked up feminism to sound hip and contemporary...and also to appeal to certain groups of people to further her career.
Does she even have any empowerment programmes aimed at helping underprivileged/abused/mistreated Nigerian women/girls living in Nigeria?
This is an honest question, I don't know really and I doubt she does.
When last was she even in Nigeria, apart from attending the premier and promotion of Half of a Yellow Sun?

The correlation between name change and feminism should be clear to you by now, or do you need me to go on? grin

7 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 5:03pm On Dec 28, 2014
crackhaus:

Bukatyne, Bukatyne... na two times I call you oo, so you don't know how feminism got infused into this topic of name change or how it correlates? gringrin

I believe it was the Vickyy moniker or someone else who brought feminism into this topic when they mentioned Chimamanda Adichie and Beyonce - or have you forgotten? grin

The correlation between name change and feminism is simple. According to the person who mentioned it, Chimamanda is a well known feminist who did not change her last name.
Chimamanda believes that taking a man's surname makes a woman lose her own identity, and thus, will only be regarded as an appendage of the man.
She thinks this is what feminism is about - emancipating the woman in marriage and placing her on equal footing with her husband via keeping her own maiden name as the first step.

Honestly, do you not see how silly that sounds? This is just a case of fighting the wrong battles which mean absolutely nothing in the long run.
That a woman hyphenates her surname or keeps it totally without attaching her husbands', does not automatically mean she earns more respect, neither does it make her immune or just totally exempted from being abused/mistreated by him (if that's the kind of person he is).

This here is the person you pseudo-feminists take on as a role model. A person whose sense of worth and identity are dependent on the last name she answers...because according to her, as a feminist she must never be under any man and one way to go about this, is to stick to her maiden name after marriage... Lmao! cheesy
And you people wonder why I and other guys think this Chimamanda lady has self-esteem and self-worth issues that must have stuck with her from childhood.

She is a brilliant writer no doubt, but that's about it - just like you lot did, she picked up feminism to sound hip and contemporary...and also to appeal to certain groups of people to further her career.
Does she even have any empowerment programmes aimed at helping underprivileged/abused/mistreated Nigerian women/girls living in Nigeria?
This is an honest question, I don't know really and I doubt she does.
When last was she even in Nigeria, apart from attending the premier and promotion of Half of a Yellow Sun?

The correlation between name change and feminism should be clear to you by now, or do you need me to go on? grin

Happy Sunday

This post was definitely not addressed to me cheesy

The 'you lot' and 'you pseudo -feminists' you were referring to will definitely give you a reply wink

Let's wait for them

5 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by crackhaus: 5:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
bukatyne:

Happy Sunday

This post was definitely not addressed to me cheesy

The 'you lot' and 'you pseudo -feminists' you were referring to will definitely give you a reply wink

Let's wait for them
You ain't a feminist anymore? shocked

Happy Sunday to you too...

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 6:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
chaircover:

You believe men and women are different and equal (one not better than the other)

You believe men and women by nature have different roles to play (men = provider & women = nuturer )

Yet you have a problem with a Nigerian feminist who believes men & women are equal however have different roles wanting her husband to provide alone if she is willing to nuture and the forth alone.

I dare say it is antii-feminists who have redefined feminism and expect feminists to conform to the different definitions they have.

How do you expect a Nigerian feminist's marriage to be like?

5 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 28, 2014
bukatyne:

You believe men and women are different and equal (one not better than the other)

You believe men and women by nature have different roles to play (men = provider & women = nuturer )

Yet you have a problem with a Nigerian feminist who believes men & women are equal however have different roles wanting her husband to provide alone if she is willing to nuture and the forth alone.

I dare say it is antii-feminists who have redefined feminism and expect feminists to conform to the different definitions they have.

How do you expect a Nigerian feminist's marriage to be like?

The feminism I know is what I have described in my post
Alll other flavours, I dont really understand
What exactly does a Nigerian feminist expect/want/work towards etc bearing in mind cultural and religious beleifs? . .which we cant just throw away like that.
Maybe if I have specific examples, I will understand better.
Can a man provide 100% and the woman nuture 100% and they both live happily and peacefully?
Can we expect a woman who has just put to bed, go and pound yam for oga?
Can we expect a man who has just lost his job, pay for his wife to go shopping abroad?

The definitions are not clear becasue I dont think that anyone has really explained the meaning in great detail as per the way that we live it in Nigeria and also giving examples. . .not oyibo style; for slow to grasp ones like me to understand.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 7:39pm On Dec 28, 2014
chaircover:

The feminism I know is what I have described in my post
Alll other flavours, I dont really understand
What exactly does a Nigerian feminist expect/want/work towards etc bearing in mind cultural and religious beleifs? . .which we cant just throw away like that.
Maybe if I have specific examples, I will understand better.
Can a man provide 100% and the woman nuture 100% and they both live happily and peacefully?
Can we expect a woman who has just put to bed, go and pound yam for oga?
Can we expect a man who has just lost his job, pay for his wife to go shopping abroad?

The definitions are not clear becasue I dont think that anyone has really explained the meaning in great detail as per the way that we live it in Nigeria and also giving examples. . .not oyibo style; for slow to grasp ones like me to understand.

I do not know where you got other flavours from

You have defined feminism so I do not know what other version again there is

@100% provide & nuture: you think it cannot work in practice yet you wonder why feminists should want 100% provisions instead of All women.

Please tell us How the oyinbos live their feminism and How you expect Nigerian feminists to live.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by red101(f): 1:01am On Dec 29, 2014
chaircover:

Absolutely
That is their culture

I have never heard of a marriage where a woman insisting on keeping her name led to an unhappy marriage. usually this is decided before they get married. besides, such an argument is no different from a case where the husband wanted 5 children and the wife only want 2 or 3 children etc. disagreements happen in all marriages if there are two grown adults involved. Abi you want to say you have never disagreed with your husband on important issues before? or you want to claim title of 'most submissive wife on nairaland'.

Anyway, in many cases women choose to keep their last names because they don't want to lose their identity. esp if they marry later in life or have developed careers. remember that a lot of women marry barely as soon as they enter adulthood (some as teenage children sef lol) so their husband is like an extension of their father. unlike a woman who maybe marries at age 35 who is more mature and attached to her name emotionally, professionally, socially etc and has formed her own individual identity before marriage.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 29, 2014
red101:

I have never heard of a marriage where a woman insisting on keeping her name led to an unhappy marriage. usually this is decided before they get married. besides, such an argument is no different from a case where the husband wanted 5 children and the wife only want 2 or 3 children etc. disagreements happen in all marriages if there are two grown adults involved. Abi you want to say you have never disagreed with your husband on important issues before? or you want to claim title of 'most submissive wife on nairaland'.

Anyway, in many cases women choose to keep their last names because they don't want to lose their identity. esp if they marry later in life or have developed careers. remember that a lot of women marry barely as soon as they enter adulthood (some as teenage children sef lol) so their husband is like an extension of their father. unlike a woman who maybe marries at age 35 who is more mature and attached to her name emotionally, professionally, socially etc and has formed her own individual identity before marriage.

My dear you can make your points . . . . no need to get personal.
it is comments like this that start the waves of agruments that go back and forth and leaving the main topic alone. You dont know me enough to get personal with me.
Stick to the topic

So you know, this topic has been discussed severally on NL over the years and I have heard a lot of reasons why women choose to keep their maiden names from the reasonable to the most ridiculours . . .to me anuway.

I said it clearly, if its causing serious issues between husband or wife and there isnt a good reason for the name keeping, then is it really worth the headache as one is only trading one wahala for another?.

My stance on NL has always been clear. I mostly talk to young impresionable girls so they know the reality; Pick right and behave right . . . . . hence I dont get into long winded arguments with people who have already made up their minds on something.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by 5minsmadness: 9:38am On Dec 29, 2014
red101:

Red, are you a Nigerian/African?
At your first bolded, I have. I have seen two couples where the woman wanted to keep her maiden name. The first was a British raised Nigerian. She insisted. He walked out. He's married now and she's still single.
The second was a female doctor. She insisted. He walked out. They reconciled a few months later and she took his name.

It has nothing to do with this 'submission' word you feminists like to throw around so much. Its simple. If you love and respect the man enough to marry him, you will take his name. If I were the man and you refused to take my name in marriage for no good reason, I would regard it as a warning sign and beat a hasty retreat. I believe other men feel the same.
Do you know even when Chimamanda got married to the guys she still insisted on being called 'Miss' or Ms or something I can't remember instead of Mrs? And you think the man was happy with that? Is she ashamed of him or ashamed that she is married or what?

As for your second condescending paragraph, pardon me but that is total bullshit. You are now saying women who took their husband's name had no identity of their own? Seriously? All the lawyers, doctors, accountants, bankers, managers, etc that married thier husbands and took his name lovingly are now being labelled by you as having no identity and marrying thier fathers?

Do you now see why people hate feminism? Because it is not the textbook definition that you guys are going on about. It is not about empowering the female sex in the sense of education or politics or improvement of self. It is about castigation and degrading men, bringing down anything good about the male-female relationship and feminity in the name of equality. And any female who does not agree with your man-hate filled idealism is viewed as weak, 'overly submissive' , illiterate or having lost her identity, simply because she chose to identify with the man she loves.

And yes, you had no right to go personal on chaircover. Check my posts, I have never quoted her and she doesn't know me so am not her fan or anything like that but I know she's an elder here and what you said was quite rude.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by red101(f): 11:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
chaircover:

My dear you can make your points . . . . no need to get personal.
it is comments like this that start the waves of agruments that go back and forth and leaving the main topic alone. You dont know me enough to get personal with me.
Stick to the topic

So you know, this topic has been discussed severally on NL over the years and I have heard a lot of reasons why women choose to keep their maiden names from the reasonable to the most ridiculours . . .to me anuway.

I said it clearly, if its causing serious issues between husband or wife and there isnt a good reason for the name keeping, then is it really worth the headache as one is only trading one wahala for another?.

My stance on NL has always been clear. I mostly talk to young impresionable girls so they know the reality; Pick right and behave right . . . . . hence I dont get into long winded arguments with people who have already made up their minds on something.

I don't think my post was personal. if you took it personal, then I am sorwy. kiss All mature couples have arguments and disagreements and yours or anybody else's isn't exempt was my point. what you consider to be a non-issue may be a serious issue to someone else depending on their values. I see your point in talking to young impressionable girls. young impressionable girls who marry early are probably already very eager to change their names anyway.

I've heard of older divorced women who kept their ex-husband's last name to some of these ex-husbands' chagrin. I think the women should be able to keep the name. what do you think of this?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by red101(f): 4:50am On Dec 31, 2014
5minsmadness:

Red, are you a Nigerian/African?
At your first bolded, I have. I have seen two couples where the woman wanted to keep her maiden name. The first was a British raised Nigerian. She insisted. He walked out. He's married now and she's still single.
The second was a female doctor. She insisted. He walked out. They reconciled a few months later and she took his name.

It's no different from a guy dumping his girlfriend for going natural (i've heard of cases like these) or fighting his wife for refusing to have any more kids etc. These are value related issues. sometimes there is compromise and sacrifice in marriage. doesn't mean that someone won't be left deeply unhappy. Sometimes it's better to be single than unhappily married. The adults involved have to made the decision for themselves.

I have a nigerian friend who married a white woman and changed his name to hyphenate it with hers. they both changed their names and the kids will have hyphenated name as well.

Do you know even when Chimamanda got married to the guys she still insisted on being called 'Miss' or Ms or something I can't remember instead of Mrs? And you think the man was happy with that? Is she ashamed of him or ashamed that she is married or what?

It's Ms.
This is the standard way of professionalism in the western world. Nobody worries their head over your marital status or or whatever titles or labels you may have. Her husband is young, partially raised abroad and a successful medical doctor in the USA.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by red101(f): 5:12am On Dec 31, 2014
Excerpt from the Chimamanda interview:

Sunnews: Mrs Chimamanda Adichie, wel-come back to Nigeria…

Chimamanda Adichie: Before we start, please, I just want to say that my name is Chimamanda Adichie. That’s how I want it; that’s how I’m addressed, and it is not Mrs but Ms: that’s how I want it. I am saying this, because I just got a mail from my manager this morning. It seems that there are people who attended the church service, and they wrote about it, addressing me as Mrs. Chimamanda (Esega). I didn’t like that at all. So my name is Chimamanda Adichie, full stop!

SN: You started by telling me that you’re not “Mrs.”…
CA: My name is Chimamada Adichie. If you want to put label for me, put Ms.

SN: But people know that you’re married. As an Igbo girl, you know our culture…
CA: What does our culture do? Let me tell you about our culture. This thing that you are calling our culture –that when you marry somebody, you’ll start call-ing her Mrs. Somebody –is not our culture; it is Western culture. If you want to talk about our culture, you need to go to people in real Igbo land. But it is true. My grandfather’s name is David. His name is also Nwoye. They call him Nwoye Omeni. Omeni was his mother. You know why? It is to help distinguish him, because there are often many wives. So, it was his mother that they used to identify him. They know that all of these people came from the same compound, but whose child is this one. You may go and ask people who is Nwoye Omeni, and they’ll tell you it is my grandfather. So, conversation about culture is a long one. I don’t even want to have it.

SN: But, at what point would you change your name?
CA: Yes; because it’s all fused. You cannot then come and impose something on somebody. Nobody should come and impose something on somebody, because, if you come and tell me it is our culture, I’ll tell you it is not our culture. Where do you want to start counting? Do you want to start counting in 1920, or do you want us to start counting from 1870?
http://africamusiclaw.com/is-chimamanda-adichies-brand-of-feminism-over-the-top-adichie-refuses-to-be-called-by-her-husbands-last-name-esege/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1322802_chimamanda_and_husband_jpg28d23daea9c626e421026036e0e6c7b2

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Child Theft: Father Of Newborn Accuses Matron, Police Chief Of Conspiracy / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children! / A Birth Story - Experiences Of A First Time Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.