Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,918 members, 7,814,090 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? (11532 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 26, 2014
lilmax:
grin grin and the one thing you have to offer is opening your legs, sit like boys because your god aka wide mouth told you to do so......or am I wrong? grin
Very wrong!
I do motivational speaking and community service around and im still a student but i contribute financially towards a programme for less-privileged students that cannot afford having decent meals everyday. undecided so i can say i have something to offer for now.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by lilmax(m): 10:30am On Dec 26, 2014
Mondisweets:
Very wrong!
I do motivational speaking and community service around and im still a student but i contribute financially towards a programme for less-privileged students that cannot afford having decent meals everyday. undecided so i can say i have something to offer for now.
but you endorsed what she said right?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 26, 2014
babestell:
With the increasing rate of divorce nowadays, it will soon become a norm for women to keep their surname. One less hassle after the divorce

Anyway depends on the couple......to each their own, don't judge others by your standards especially when u are not feeding them
Invariably one can judge when feeding them?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 26, 2014
lilmax:
but you endorsed what she said right?
Everyone should sit in anyway they feel comfortable, thats what i believe in. Has anyone ever forced you to sit in a particular way before?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 26, 2014
Evina:
All these gender equality talks!

The westerners who introduced the subject, take on their husbands name. Do you have more money, success and fame than Beyonce? Who proudly calls herself Mrs carter on her tours?

The females in under developed countries who don't fully grasp the subject, are causing problems for themselves.

Property of a man, what is wrong in being his property? So long as that property is not being misused or abused, kini big deal?

God bless u

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Afrobasic(m): 11:37am On Dec 26, 2014
babestell:

Even thohgh you made this reply in antagonism, I have to agree with you

Society and its norms as we know it will change drastically in the next 50 years. Very soon name changing and divorce won't be issues.

Very true, the way I see it, there would be a lot of single and bitter 'old people' in the next 30-40 years
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Afrobasic(m): 11:43am On Dec 26, 2014
Evina:

The westerners who introduced the subject, take on their husbands name. Do you have more money, success and fame than Beyonce? Who proudly calls herself Mrs carter on her tours?

The females in under developed countries who don't fully grasp the subject, are causing problems for themselves.

Property of a man, what is wrong in being his property? So long as that property is not being misused or abused, kini big deal?

You made perfect sense here!

But sure enough, their inflated ego won't let them think angry
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by lilmax(m): 11:46am On Dec 26, 2014
Mondisweets:
Everyone should sit in anyway they feel comfortable, thats what i believe in. Has anyone ever forced you to sit in a particular way before?
you have not answered my question
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by babestell(f): 12:31pm On Dec 26, 2014
goofyone:

Invariably one can judge when feeding them?

Not really, but then when u feed ie provide for a person, you get a certain measure of power over them. Then pokenosing into their business or insisting they live by certain rules may be allowed.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 12:42pm On Dec 26, 2014
Evina:

@bold: Jay-Z changed his official name to Knowles-Carter after the wedding...

Just saying...

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 12:44pm On Dec 26, 2014
bukatyne:

@bold: Jay-Z changed his official name to Knowles-Carter after the wedding...

Just saying...

are you a feminist or do you support their ideas
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 12:47pm On Dec 26, 2014
okotv:
are you a feminist or do you support their ideas

I am a feminist cheesy and I have made my stance known on this thread.

Was just pointing out to her that Beyonce's husband also took up her name (for reasons best known to him) since Bey should be a role model in this instance...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2014
bukatyne:

I am a feminist cheesy and I have made my stance known on this thread.

Was just pointing out to her that Beyonce's husband also took up her name (for reasons best known to him) since Bey should be a role model in this instance...
now I know why you argue the way you do...no offence though cause I respect you right of speech
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2014
lilmax:
you have not answered my question
I said yes, every lady can sit in anyway she feels comfortable, whats your problem again? undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 12:52pm On Dec 26, 2014
okotv:
now I know why you argue the way you do...no offence though cause I respect you right of speech

How do I argue?

No offence taken cheesy
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by lilmax(m): 12:57pm On Dec 26, 2014
Mondisweets:
I said yes, every lady can sit in anyway she feels comfortable, whats your problem again? undecided
only applies to you
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 26, 2014
babestell:

Not really, but then when u feed ie provide for a person, you get a certain measure of power over them. Then pokenosing into their business or insisting they live by certain rules may be allowed.
I kinda understand you. But I don't think it's fair to reason this way. But if this is you, no hard feelings.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 26, 2014
bukatyne:

How do I argue?
No offence taken cheesy
You know, you really aren't a feminist as such. At least from your arguments. You just reason a little differently.
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2014
lilmax:
only applies to you
cheesy so you control how every woman on this planet sits? grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Royver(m): 1:08pm On Dec 26, 2014
FrancisTony:

1) I'm a male.

2) Chimamanda is a role model to both single and married.
...just so you don't know, Chimamanda is married to Dr. Ivara Isege.
But in most of your posts, you sound like a disgruntled female.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 1:08pm On Dec 26, 2014
bukatyne:

How do I argue?

No offence taken cheesy
as if both sexes are equal but deep down you know its not possible .
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Royver(m): 1:11pm On Dec 26, 2014
lilmax:
Chimamanda? A role model? Smh..... A role model said gals are not supposed to close their legs, and that's what I call stupidity
She became a loud mouthed feminist only recently in order to sell more of her books in my opinion. I read that line where she said girls were thought to close their legs as if it was a derogatory thing female children were being forced to do. Some people just do hero worship without thinking.
Anyway Chimamanda dear, you know I admire you and some of your works. No beefing on my part but sometimes your stance in this feminist thing is suspect.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by lilmax(m): 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2014
Mondisweets:
cheesy so you control how every woman on this planet sits? grin
yels tongue
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 26, 2014
Royver:

But in most of your posts, you sound like a disgruntled female.
I believe in equal human right in all ramifications(genders, sexuality etc).

I don't care if my wife-to-be answers any name. What I hate is when any gender tries to showcase a superiority complex.

No one should insult Chimamanda for not changing her name and her husband shouldn't be called weaklings neither should Beyonce be insulted for changing hers. To each on her own.

I've come to know that most powerful female celebrities either hyphenate their surname with husband's own or don't change it at all.
Some Nairaland guys are just empty chest-beater. Mhen, their egos need to be lessened.

Ermm, why would I wish to be a female? I'm male....undecided Smh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by lilmax(m): 1:57pm On Dec 26, 2014
Royver:

She became a loud mouthed feminist only recently in order to sell more of her books in my opinion. I read that line where she said girls were thought to close their legs as if it was a derogatory thing female children were being forced to do. Some people just do hero worship without thinking
Anyway Chimamanda dear, you know I admire you and some of your works. No beefing on my part but sometimes your stance in this feminist thing is suspect.
very annoying, thats why I call her their god
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by zyzxx(m): 2:57pm On Dec 26, 2014
VickyyB:
I'm not a celebrity and ain't planning to be....

If i get married, i'll keep answering my surname. So? grin
so dream on
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Royver(m): 3:12pm On Dec 26, 2014
FrancisTony:

I believe in equal human right in all ramifications(genders, sexuality etc).

I don't care if my wife-to-be answers any name. What I hate is when any gender tries to showcase a superiority complex.

No one should insult Chimamanda for not changing her name and her husband shouldn't be called weaklings neither should Beyonce be insulted for changing hers. To each on her own.

I've come to know that most powerful female celebrities either hyphenate their surname with husband's own or don't change it at all.
Some Nairaland guys are just empty chest-beater. Mhen, their egos need to be lessened.

Ermm, why would I wish to be a female? I'm male....undecided Smh

But you sound female. And its not because of your apparently noble ideals either.
I'm not the first person to mistake you for a female. Even when some questions are posted at females you respond. It makes you look...somehow.

If the sexes were equal, God should have given all of us pen1ses and mammary glands. Not being 'equal' doesn't make one group less special than the other. We excel in our different genders. We have different functions. This is what makes us Unique.

Not caring if your wife answers your name or not is your opinion. However I would like to know how old you are. Why is this important? The closer you are to taking up the responsibility of marriage, the more likely I will take this your opinion seriously. If you marry a woman properly, how will you let others know she is now yours? A woman bearing your name is not a sign of superiority complex, it is a huge responsibility. It means she is yours to take care of for the rest of your life. Its not fun at all so don't take it lightly.

Powerful female celebrities keep their father's names(its not even theirs, its their fathers') because of the popularity the name brings and the doors such famous names open. Even if you Google Dr Ivara Esege you will realize that nobody knows him; but the moment you say "Chimamanda's husband" then the name rings a bell. Google it now and you will see Dr Esege is not known without Chimamanda until the second page of Google. Chimamanda cannot afford to change her name to "Mrs Esege"; she will quickly fade into obscurity if she does hence the need to retain her name.
Before you mention Beyonce as having being famous and yet changed her name, remember that Beyonce is known by her first name and not so much by "Knowles" which is her surname.

You once had (f) at the end of your name, francistony. you have removed it now. I don't know why you would want to be mistaken for a female but I respect your right in making that decision.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 26, 2014
Royver:

But you sound female. And its not because of your apparently noble ideals either.
I'm not the first person to mistake you for a female. Even when some questions are posted at females you respond. It makes you look...somehow.
What thread exactly?
It's more like accusing someone of being gay because he's pro gay.
I replied the girl because her post reeks inferiority complex and she used to insult Nigerian/African women.....

If the sexes were equal, God should have given all of us pen1ses and mammary glands. Not being 'equal' doesn't make one group less special than the other. We excel in our different genders. We have different functions. This is what makes us Unique.
Seriously.....What I believe by being equal doesn't imply sexual organs.
Woman A has big brèast while Woman B has small one- It doesn't mean one is inferior to other. Same as in men.
Using organs to argue doesn't fit in.
Equal right means Men and Women should be seen as the same in the soceity. Thoughts about them shouldn't differ.

Not caring if your wife answers your name or not is your opinion. However I would like to know how old you are. Why is this important? The closer you are to taking up the responsibility of marriage, the more likely I will take this your opinion seriously. If you marry a woman properly, how will you let others know she is now yours? A woman bearing your name is not a sign of superiority complex, it is a huge responsibility. It means she is yours to take care of for the rest of your life. Its not fun at all so don't take it lightly.
Ermm, the girl post struck me when she used Beyonce fame, popularity and whatever to insult other women that share different views from her.
How does surname really matter in human being? I don't think it really does, except if the woman is a celebrity i.e her name and surname would be needed.
You might not even be aware that your wife is answering another name.
I'm still in my teen years. grin

Powerful female celebrities keep their father's names(its not even theirs, its their fathers') because of the popularity the name brings and the doors such famous names open. Even if you Google Dr Ivara Esege you will realize that nobody knows him; but the moment you say "Chimamanda's husband" then the name rings a bell. Google it now and you will see Dr Esege is not known without Chimamanda until the second page of Google. Chimamanda cannot afford to change her name to "Mrs Esege"; she will quickly fade into obscurity if she does hence the need to retain her name.
Before you mention Beyonce as having being famous and yet changed her name, remember that Beyonce is known by her first name and not so much by "Knowles" which is her surname.
There's no where I argued they should bear their mothers name.
It's weird to answer their mothers name.
My stance is that a woman shouldn't be forced to change her fathers name except if she's willing to do so.

You once had (f) at the end of your name, francistony. you have removed it now. I don't know why you would want to be mistaken for a female but I respect your right in making that decision.

Lmao! I didn't remove it now. It has been long I did that.
More like some Male Nairalanders were playing with their genders and I also did so.
I finally removed it when Seun banned Tosyne2much for changing from male to female. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 3:34pm On Dec 26, 2014
goofyone:

You know, you really aren't a feminist as such. At least from your arguments. You just reason a little differently.

LOL

How do feminists reason?

How I reason?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 3:38pm On Dec 26, 2014
okotv:
as if both sexes are equal but deep down you know its not possible .

Really?

Why is it impossible?
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by okotv(m): 3:39pm On Dec 26, 2014
bukatyne:

Really?

Why is it impossible?
that's how God has designed it
Re: Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? by bukatyne(f): 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2014
okotv:
that's how God has designed it

Ok then

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Should A Lady Move Out Of Her Parent's House?? / Child Theft: Father Of Newborn Accuses Matron, Police Chief Of Conspiracy / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.