Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business (200871 Views)

Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy / Learn About Plantain Macro-propergation tissue Culture Suckers Multiplication / Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by condi1704(m): 8:11pm On Feb 21, 2015
can you talk more on spacing and watering. What is adequate.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by kayles: 7:24am On Feb 22, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
Do not be like the local farmers that are more into production and no knowledge about how and where to sell their produce.
...Know your markets.
Or you can leverage on my network of buyers by helping you to set up your farm.
By setting your farm for you, you will have access to free consultancy and my network of buyers ( can.be assured of ready made buyers for your produce )
No management fee but only 20% of the after-sale profit will be charge.
First of all I've got to say thumbs up for a dedicated n well enriched interactive session in here. But you do know that even God takes 10% of our income and nobody dares take more than that. Lawyers don't charge more than God, how come u wanna be different. I entreat u to review your stance, you've been good n can be great. People who often do this are selfless, but we know you would incur some expenses both financial n time so you demand some benefit, but not partnership. Thanks for understanding, this is just my POV.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Johnnyessence(m): 1:57pm On Feb 22, 2015
kayles:

First of all I've got to say thumbs up for a dedicated n well enriched interactive session in here. But you do know that even God takes 10% of our income and nobody dares take more than that. Lawyers don't charge more than God, how come u wanna be different. I entreat u to review your stance, you've been good n can be great. People who often do this are selfless, but we know you would incur some expenses both financial n time so you demand some benefit, but not partnership. Thanks for understanding, this is just my POV.
hmmm nice words from kayles but need some explanation from bro Lesgup oooooooo .20% of d sale profit still need explanation sir.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Johnnyessence(m): 5:25pm On Feb 22, 2015
this is a writeup from an Hausa man Choping his millions of profit in bank follow it steadily. Plantain farming is very lucrative using modern farming
techniques – Shelu Abu -
Mr. Shelu Abu is the Managing Director/Chief
Executive Officer of Ikorodu, Lagos-based Shelu
Farms, a farm that is into plantain and catfish
farming. In this chat with Financial Vanguard in
Ikorodu, Shelu speaks on the new model technology
in plantain farming and says that plantain farming is
very lucrative. He calls on government to bring back
the Bank of Agriculture.
Excerpts:
Shelu Abu
According to Shelu Abu, upon graduation from the
Nasarawa State College of Agriculture where he
studied Agronomy, he began buying and selling in
Kano before moving down to Lagos.
“I relocated to Lagos and would bring tomatoes and
other commodities from the north to Mile12 market
in Lagos. I was searching for employment at the
same time,” he said.
Going to Cameroun:
“One day, a friend of mine suggested we travel to
Cameroun and from there, I could sneak into any
country of my choice because I had no money then.
When we got to Cameroun, I saw a farm close to
where we were staying. I decided to apply for a job
there since I studied agronomy. Fortunately, I was
employed. What we do is that we plant the plantain
suckers and when we harvest, they are taken to a
production site where they are prepared for export to
Europe and America. Before they finish packaging,
buyers are already waiting to pick them up and I saw
the kind of money coming in. We had about 300,000
suckers which multiplied. We were well paid so I told
myself that the best thing is for me to go back to
Nigeria and start my own farm.”
Starting his own farm: “When I came back, I leased a
plot of land and planted the 200 suckers I brought
with me. People were mocking me, asking what on
earth I was doing with plantain instead of getting a
good job. After about eight months, I started
harvesting. My plantain trees are up to 18 feet high;
they are so tall because of the nutrients and the
taller they are, the bigger the fruit,” he said, adding:
“I was making N7,000 to N8,000 weekly.
“When I told the Baale (traditional ruler) of the area
that I needed land for plantain farming, he pointed to
this place (farm site) which was a thick forest then.
He asked for only N5,000 and a bottle of Schnapps.
So I told myself that I could plant 1,000 suckers or
more, to multiply my income. I placed an order for
5,000 suckers and planted them. Before this time, I
had approached First Bank for loan. I discussed with
them but they asked for land or C of O. If I have all
that, why would I go to the bank to ask for loan?
It will be better to sell the land and use the money
on the farm. If I have money, instead of using it to
get C of O, I will put it in the farm. That is why I
don’t bank with any bank in Nigeria. I save my
money with my cooperative society because when I
sold the idea to them, they bought it and came to
my aid. I brought First Bank here and explained to
them that I have 40,000 suckers on the farm and
even if I sell for N500, I will make the money and pay
back.”
When the bank refused, Shelu approached his
cooperative group. “They provided the money and we
were able to plant 40,000 suckers on that land.
When the plantain was six months old, I called the
cooperative members and said ‘look, there is war.’
When they came and saw the farm and the fruits, I
told them the best thing is for us to buy the land. We
discussed with the owners and they sold to us. The
cooperative paid and kept the document thinking I
would not be able to pay. But as I sold my plantain,
I paid into their account and to God be the glory, I
was able to offset the loan and I have 40 acres of
land today.”
Modern technique: “Plantain farming is good,
anybody that goes into it will not have any problem
because one, you don’t weed, you use herbicides and
harvesting is not stressful. Before it matures, buyers
are already waiting. If you plant 60,000 suckers, you
will be making about N800,000 weekly.
“Since I started harvesting, I have created a lot of
employment for women in this area. I have set up
farms in various places so I can tell you that plantain
farming is very lucrative.
For instance, if you plant 1,000 suckers, in your first
harvest, you will get your money back and make
profit.
After four months, you come back to the same place
and still harvest more.
Plantain-farmThe second harvest might even be
better than the first because it might be two or three
as the trees would have multiplied to about 3,000.
So even if you spent N1,000 setting up a plantain
farm, I can assure you that within a year and six
months, you will make N4,000.
“That is why I say it is very profitable and the
production is very easy. Just get the hybrid from our
farm, use your herbicide and insecticide, then apply
your chicken waste. The fertilizer is short-term, it is
just to create a foundation for the tree to be rooted
and move up, the chicken waste is long-term.
Nutrients must be replenished after each harvest
otherwise, growth and production will be affected.”
Government:
“Our government needs to support real farmers. They
need to select farmers that have passion, vision and
can see the future of farming in Nigeria, not the two
bags of fertilizer or one bag of maize they distribute
to farmers. I have about 40 acres of land, what will
two bags of fertilizer do for me? The best thing is for
government to bring back the Bank of Agriculture. My
vision is to go for 120,000 suckers because I know I
can. I have the suckers and the land, the only
problem is fertilizer and funds for other inputs.
Funding is what is breaking farmers down,” he said.
Bringing youths into farming:
“No youth who has been taught how to set up a
plantain farm will like to leave it because of the
money involved. I have set up farms for about seven
graduates and they are smiling to the bank. “A
woman was sacked from her banking job and she
was lamenting, not knowing what to do. I advised
her to go into plantain farming. I got land for her,
planted 5,000 suckers and today, she is smiling to
the bank. Even if she sells for N500, multiply that by
5,000, you get N2.5million.”
SOURCE am highly motivated oooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:53pm On Feb 22, 2015
kayles:

First of all I've got to say thumbs up for a dedicated n well enriched interactive session in here. But you do know that even God takes 10% of our income and nobody dares take more than that. Lawyers don't charge more than God, how come u wanna be different. I entreat u to review your stance, you've been good n can be great. People who often do this are selfless, but we know you would incur some expenses both financial n time so you demand some benefit, it not partnership. Thanks for understanding, this is just my POV.
Thanks.
I think 20% after-profit sale charge is safer for people interested and also will be able to.give you confidence that i will work towards the success of the farm because if the produce is not sold,there will be no way i will deduct 20% from the profit.

This is actually better than charging management fee before the produce from the farm are sold.

The 20% charge is even smaller than collecting management fee from you before the produce are sold.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
kayles:

Charging 20% after sale is safer for your investment as it will allow you to have confidence that i will work toward the success of your farm and that also there is guarantee market for your produce because if i don't sell your produce, i would not be able to charge the 20% after sale profit,so i make sure my buyers buy your produce at the appropriate time and i am.able to.charge my 20% at the appropriate time as well grin grin grin
It is a win-win relationship.

The 20% charge is even lower than.charging for management fee directly from you.

I hope you now understand the reason behind charging 20% after-sale
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:20pm On Feb 23, 2015
Johnnyessence:
hmmm nice words from kayles but need some explanation from bro Lesgup oooooooo .20% of d sale profit still need explanation sir.
I have explain to.him.
I.hope he understand.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:45pm On Feb 23, 2015
Go for Plantain...its very profitable.

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:56am On Feb 24, 2015
Do agric...it pays
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:53pm On Feb 24, 2015
Agriculture and agricbusiness are two different things

I will be sharing what later in the day what business of agriculture is

stay connected
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:18pm On Feb 24, 2015
Agribusiness pays...Do it
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:58am On Feb 25, 2015
Good morning people!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:10pm On Feb 25, 2015
The business of agriculture is the way forward.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:10pm On Feb 25, 2015
The business of agriculture is the way forward.

Do agriculture in the business way and create enormous wealth.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:52pm On Feb 25, 2015
Use Good suckers to produce big and more fingers.
The more and bigger the fingers,the higher the premium price it will attract

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by pathology(m): 5:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
@lesg, well done bro. where re u located? can u set up and manage a farm at olunde after olomi area in ibadan and another at ikoyi in osun state.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:26pm On Feb 25, 2015
pathology:
@lesg, well done bro. where re u located? can u set up and manage a farm at olunde after olomi area in ibadan and another at ikoyi in osun state.
I am based in ogbomoso.
You can call me on 08092034147,08164628081 to discuss.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by FarmTech(m): 11:04pm On Feb 25, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

Thanks.
I think 20% after-profit sale charge is safer for people interested and also will be able to.give you confidence that i will work towards the success of the farm because if the produce is not sold,there will be no way i will deduct 20% from the profit.

This is actually better than charging management fee before the produce from the farm are sold.

The 20% charge is even smaller than collecting management fee from you before the produce are sold.
I once asked him and he said it is net profit. I think that's far better than management fee. If the farm fails you pay nothing, that's quite fare to me. Another question I have is how many yrs will you charge the 20%?
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by senato123(m): 7:15am On Feb 26, 2015
Exactly my question,is the 20% a one-off setup fee?
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:03pm On Feb 26, 2015
FarmTech:

I once asked him and he said it is net profit. I think that's far better than management fee. If the farm fails you pay nothing, that's quite fare to me. Another question I have is how many yrs will you charge the 20%?
The 20% is just for the first year.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:40am On Feb 27, 2015
Agribusiness pays...Engage and invest in it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:34am On Feb 27, 2015
Good morning people!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:02pm On Feb 27, 2015
Follow me in my latest write-up on plantain farming business.
It promises to be impactful and helpful for the success of your plantain farming business
nairaland.com/2170719/must-read-plantain-farmers-intending
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:22pm On Feb 28, 2015
Agricbusiness pays...Invest and do it
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by kennethalice(m): 8:23pm On Feb 28, 2015
am following .
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by noblefarm: 10:37pm On Feb 28, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
Agricbusiness pays...Invest and do it

I sent u msg on whatsapp not long ago
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:17am On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

I sent u msg on whatsapp not long ago
ok.
will check and get back to you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by noblefarm: 7:52am On Mar 01, 2015
happy new month
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:36pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:
happy new month
Same here.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:16am On Mar 02, 2015
kennethalice:
am following .
Thanks for following.God bless you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Johnnyessence(m): 7:05pm On Mar 02, 2015
well done ooooo bro lesgub am back ooooo keep d work moving we are following u sir how was farm today bro happy new month.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by noblefarm: 7:41pm On Mar 02, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

Thanks for following.God bless you.

sir u don't reply my msg on watsapp and ur number was off, wetin happen na

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (62) (Reply)

Catfish Farming: My Story / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.