Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,843 members, 7,813,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business (200879 Views)

Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy / Learn About Plantain Macro-propergation tissue Culture Suckers Multiplication / Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:55pm On Feb 06, 2015
Leverage on the experience of only successful agro-preneurs to kickstart your dream agribusiness enterprise.
This can be done by consulting them before starting.

Note: My own consultancy is free.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
I remember when i was starting out my plantain farm and the hard lessons i learnt.
One of them was procuring a cheaper suckers which i bought for #40/sucker without knowing the type of sucker i was buying.
I bought and planted 600 suckers,
Within 4 months, about 50% of my plantain had fallen,some year after the incident,i later discover what happen.
I will tell you very soon what actually happen.
Mistakes are meant to.be made and corrected.
I will be shedding light on the hidden facts and truth about this plantain business which will.help you to start on a profitable note.

THE ONLY GOOD YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF THIS SEASON IF YOU ARE A PLANTAIN FARMER OR AN INTENDING FARMER IS TO STAY GLUED AND KEEP FOLLOWING THIS THREAD AS I UNVEIL INFO THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR BUSINESS FOR THE BEST.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:43pm On Feb 06, 2015
Do agric...create wealth.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:25pm On Feb 06, 2015
The fruit of culture tissued hybrid suckers should have nothing less than 45-50 big fingers.

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
If your farm.is being affected with wind,
there are two things involved...
stay connected
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:48pm On Feb 06, 2015
It is a fact that one of the challenge faced in the plantain farming business is Wind.

Whenever i receive call from any farmer that their plantain farm was falling,and its being affected by wind,i always want to investigate more because i know it might not be a wind challenge.

If you notice that your plantain trees are falling frequently on the farm,the real challenge might be more than wind,it might be disease infestation.

Plantain is mostly affected by wind when they start bearing fruit because of the weight of the fruit.
If your plantain falls down before it start fruiting,you should be more concerned.
Most incidence of plantain tree falling before fruiting have been found to be as a result of
1.Nematode infestation
2.When plantain are not fertilised by manure during the growing stage.
This is the major reason plantain farmers dont make good profit from the farm.
The only solution is to make use of tissue cultured hybrid suckers which does not require manure because manure have already being added (saves you the cost of buying and transporting manure to the farm) and also prevent the incidence of nematode and disease on the farm.

Many farmers have lost their investment attributing it to wind not knowing that it was due to the use of not-too-good suckers for planting that cause infestation of disease.

More to.come.
....stay connected
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:13am On Feb 07, 2015
Good morning people.

Get into the class now with your books and pen ready to take note grin grin grin
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by FarmTech(m): 9:15am On Feb 07, 2015
How has manure already been added to the tissue sucker?
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:17pm On Feb 07, 2015
FarmTech:
How has manure already been added to the tissue sucker?
The tissue suckers are already planted in a sack mixed with sterilised soil and adequate manure
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by FarmTech(m): 1:48pm On Feb 07, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

The tissue suckers are already planted in a sack mixed with sterilised soil and adequate manure

Ok. Pls I'll like to know if plantain can be intercrop with oil palm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:41pm On Feb 07, 2015
FarmTech:

Ok. Pls I'll like to know if plantain can be intercrop with oil palm.
You can intercrop it with plantain but
1.dont expect the same yield you will have when you cultivate only plantain.
2.You will incured additional expenses in killing the plantain after harvesting
3.You will need heavy fertilisation of the soil
Personally,i prefer to intercrop oilpalm with cassava.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:00pm On Feb 07, 2015
Agricbusiness is very lucrative..get to know the rudiments by asking questions and taking massive action on the knowledge you have learned.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by FarmTech(m): 12:31am On Feb 08, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

You can intercrop it with plantain but
1.dont expect the same yield you will have when you cultivate only plantain.
2.You will incured additional expenses in killing the plantain after harvesting
3.You will need heavy fertilisation of the soil
Personally,i prefer to intercrop oilpalm with cassava.
Thanks. I'll also like to know how many generations of plantain before they are finally eradicated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:39pm On Feb 08, 2015
FarmTech:

Thanks. I'll also like to know how many generations of plantain before they are finally eradicated.
Did you mean how many generations if you intercrop it with oil palm or if cultivated solely?
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by FarmTech(m): 1:41pm On Feb 08, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

Did you mean how many generations if you intercrop it with oil palm or if cultivated solely?
If intercropped with oil palm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:09pm On Feb 08, 2015
FarmTech:
If intercropped with oil palm.
2years will be advisable
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:17pm On Feb 08, 2015
Do agric...it pays
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by nigerfine: 1:51am On Feb 09, 2015
@legsup
you did not answer the question "how has tissue culture plantain had fertilizers ".
2.will it hurt to add more
a.at planting
b at later stage
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:36am On Feb 09, 2015
nigerfine:
@legsup
you did not answer the question "how has tissue culture plantain had fertilizers ".
2.will it hurt to add more
a.at planting
b at later stage
Tissue cultured hybrid suckers are placed in a sack filled with manure and sterilised soil at the ration of 1:1
The advantage of this is that you will not have to incur the cost of manure procurement and transportation which will be applied 3 months after planting if you are making use of the local hybrid suckers.
You can add manure/fertiliser later on if you want to ( say about 6months after planting but this should not be much )
It will hurt the suckers if you after manure at planting
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by DBounty(m): 11:36am On Feb 09, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
@bmbo22: I will help you out on what you needed to do to achieve your goal.
Where do you intend to set up the farm?
and you can add me up on whatsapp or call me on 08164628081 to discuss better on step by step guide to start on a good note.
Lesgupnigeria:
and you can add me up on whatsapp or call me on 08164628081 to discuss better on step by step guide to start on a good note.
Lesgupnigeria:
but u promised to revealed d hidden truths as d name of d thread reads,and what researchers and farmers would not reveal? Nija! Anyone here shd visit robonski's thread and c what such title as this means. Hidden truths about catfish biz.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Huw(m): 12:21pm On Feb 09, 2015
DBounty:
[b][/b] but u promised to revealed d hidden truths as d name of d thread reads,and what researchers and farmers would not reveal? Nija! Anyone here shd visit robonski's thread and c what such title as this means. Hidden truths about catfish biz.

Just looking at your comment gives the perfect example of what's wrong with this country. Why can't you appreciate anything good?.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
DBounty:
[b][/b] but u promised to revealed d hidden truths as d name of d thread reads,and what researchers and farmers would not reveal? Nija! Anyone here shd visit robonski's thread and c what such title as this means. Hidden truths about catfish biz.
Seems you are not a farmer,if you are,you will know that a lot have been revealed on this thread and most information cannot be found on any threads on this agric section except here.
I will advise that you read through again from my first statement to grasp the loads of info that was revealed here.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by FarmTech(m): 5:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
For me oo, I have learnt a lot here, esp from the begining.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:25pm On Feb 09, 2015
Learning from experienced farmer is better from learning from your own experience.
You succeed faster and better.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:30pm On Feb 10, 2015
Get more useful insights to your agribusiness by posting your questions/challenges on this thread.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
The beauty of plantain farming
More suckers as the parent crop matures.
Farms Does not need to.be re-established.

Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:41am On Feb 11, 2015
I will be talking today on the management practises to engage in if you want to get Bigger fruits during harvest.
...Stay connected
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:25pm On Feb 11, 2015
Thinning is very important for you to have bigger fruit during harvest.
I will explain better today.
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by DBounty(m): 1:56pm On Feb 11, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
This is the best suckers to make use of - the tissue cultured suckers
It gives uniform growth,uniform fruiting, disease resistant and good yield
thanks 4 d ribs. Pls list step by step to produce suckers like dis thanks..
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by DBounty(m): 1:57pm On Feb 11, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
This is the best suckers to make use of - the tissue cultured suckers
It gives uniform growth,uniform fruiting, disease resistant and good yield
thanks 4 d pics. Pls list step by step to produce suckers like dis thanks..
Re: Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:59pm On Feb 11, 2015
DBounty:
thanks 4 d pics. Pls list step by step to produce suckers like dis thanks..
I will do that soon in another thread,stay connected and keep following.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (62) (Reply)

Catfish Farming: My Story / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.