Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,631 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (147254 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by lovelynat(f): 10:36pm On Mar 20, 2011
@tkb417:

a lot of pple have been telling me the same but i'm still conflicted. on one hand, it makes total sense, but on the other hand considering the current economical disaster, i think it's just bad timing to return to naija to serve right now. i was lucky enough to get a job straight after graduation and i ain't gonna leave that to go serve in naija, knowing that the job will be gone, if i had a job waiting for me in naija then for sure, but i know i don't so to me, it's just too much of a risk that i can't afford right now,  undecided undecided
Re: Welcome To My Office by lovelynat(f): 12:48am On Mar 21, 2011
@ Ajanlekoko, Dublin girls aren't that bad. Did u stay in Tallaght or D.4 cos D.4 heads as we call them really do live up their reputation
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 1:14pm On Mar 21, 2011
lovelynat:

@ Ajanlekoko, Dublin girls aren't that bad. Did u stay in Tallaght or D.4 cos D.4 heads as we call them really do live up their reputation

I stayed in Dun Laoghaire. Which one is D.4?
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 9:30pm On Mar 23, 2011
hey pple,
it's been a while, been here for two months but it feels much longer, there's a hell of a lot to learn but so far i think I'm doing ok. . .

had a spat with some dude trying to pass his work on to me and he went to run his mouth to some dude who called my departmental 2-I-C, thankfully I was in the clear this time but it has made me more calm sha. . .office politics don dey tire person o. . .

Our readiness to run the plant is being audited now so everyone is on their toes. . .mennn the fear of auditors is the beginning of wisdom. . .lol

Working aroumd so many expats can be tiring, sometimes I wonder what experience they have that makes some of them feel/act so superior. when i go to the power station it's mostly finnish folks and they are stuck-up to a T, there's no poimt trying to greet them them go just do as if you no exist(those guys dey consume alcohol like no mans biz). We have one chinese electrical engineer on the commissioning team wey no sabi anything. . .i'm not kidding in the slightest.

@oyb
happy birthday mangrin
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 2:16pm On Mar 24, 2011
netotse:

Working aroumd so many expats can be tiring, sometimes I wonder what experience they have that makes some of them feel/act so superior. when i go to the power station it's mostly finnish folks and they are stuck-up to a T, there's no poimt trying to greet them them go just do as if you no exist(those guys dey consume alcohol like no mans biz). We have one chinese electrical engineer on the commissioning team  wey no sabi anything. . .i'm not kidding in the slightest.

@oyb
happy birthday mangrin

Black man white man conondrum. The white people still treat us like natives. But who can really blame them? They're brought in here and treated like kings, while the locals are denied the exposure. It's a complex life undecided

The Chinese guys they send here usually no dey sabi much, due to lack of experience. The real kingpins are usually back in China. The guys sent down here are usually fitters who have a limited scope. Plus, you don't really see too many Chinese freelancer engineers in Africa; the ones who come down here are always tied to some Chinese company or Chinese technology, and know very little little outside that. Haven't run into many Chinese engineers with global exposure anyway, they're probably in the developed countries.
Re: Welcome To My Office by gbadaniyi(m): 10:07am On Mar 26, 2011
this thread is dead
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 12:15am On Mar 27, 2011
how
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 1:49pm On Mar 29, 2011
ok. . .i'm back, where's er'one?

I'm still trying to get used to the amount of freedom i have at work. . .seems i got used to there being one person that was like a demi-god. . .but here it's not that simple.

I temporarily have some responsibilities that are meant for a higher pay grade than I am currently on and the only person that seems to realise how stressful this might be for me is my HOD, a number of people think I'm just showing myself. . . meennnn life as a working somebody is stressful.

I've also realised I'm a tad too argumentative especially when I think I know more abt the issue at hand than other pple. . .so I'm working on that. tongue

P.S. I've picked up basketball and swimming once a week to make sure the stress doesnt get to me(met one *cough* at the pool. . .thankfully her father isn't in my plant grin)
Re: Welcome To My Office by teamman(m): 8:09am On Mar 31, 2011
Any Business Analyst in the House? i have just being transferred from my role as project manager to a business analyst role for the IT unit. all I keep hearing is that you will be a Business partner to the business. Guys I don't have a clue of what I have to do. Any advice from a career Business Analyst?
Re: Welcome To My Office by Chybyke07(m): 10:47am On Mar 31, 2011
teamman:

Any Business Analyst in the House? i have just being transferred from my role as project manager to a business analyst role for the IT unit. all I keep hearing is that you will be a Business partner to the business. Guys I don't have a clue of what I have to do. Any advice from a career Business Analyst?

^^
The role of the business analyst comes before project initiation.
You should be responsible for requirements elicitation and documentation.
e.g. if a new project is proposed, you will be expected to meet with stakeholders to know exactly their expectations and requirements.
Business Analysts work closely with project managers as there is a thin line between the two.

Its a broad field but you can get more info by googling IIBA or CBAP

Take care
Re: Welcome To My Office by teamman(m): 10:51am On Mar 31, 2011
Chybyke07:

^^
The role of the business analyst comes before project initiation.
You should be responsible for requirements elicitation and documentation.
e.g. if a new project is proposed, you will be expected to meet with stakeholders to know exactly their expectations and requirements.
Business Analysts work closely with project managers as their is a thin line between the two.

Its a broad field but you can get more info by googling IIBA or CBAP

Take care

Thanks for your contribution. Please I need more contribution from the house smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by abiolapaul: 1:40pm On Apr 04, 2011
Are you a PROFESSIONAL MARKETER?
Can you market MEDICAL SERVICES TO BOTH CO-OPERATE AND INDIVIDUALS
If YES! cal:07041813292
Re: Welcome To My Office by FunmyKemmy(f): 10:10am On Apr 08, 2011
Are we that busy? Where is everyone?

Let's keep the thread awake.
Re: Welcome To My Office by samed(m): 6:14am On Apr 10, 2011

You are required to understand business issues and data challenges of client's organization industry, be able to ascertain client's organization strength and weakness. It is imperative to always review business requirements before taking up any project and design a functional specifications for client's engagement. It is nimble to check client's financial statements for any possible lag and ensure you understand WHY, for better decision making
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 5:00pm On Apr 19, 2011
Where are ma Homiez??!!!!?

Anyway, even I have neglected the thread and indeed the section a bit. This is the footie season where passions run deep, so I've been busy mixing it up with my footie friends and foes alike.
Work is mad busy, we're fully bogged down in the price wars. I've been mostly grounded this year, as the globetrotting has shifted to some luckier colleagues. But make we see wetin go happen after these elections.

Where are my peeps? tkb, Jarus, oyb, diggler, tollu, etc, etc? Hope everyone is safe oh.

Peace out.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 4:56pm On Apr 20, 2011
^^^^^
I kuku dey around my big bros.
Na politics dey hold me down o and my candidate don lose, and life don continue

Another upward review of pay was effected here recently and bois are happy.  smiley I must say, at a time when many coys in the industry and elsewhere, are downsizing or cutting , I salute the mgt of my coy for this. Another 'blow' to my CBN/DMO plan, cos don't think these coys can offer what I get here, not even NNPC.

Meanwhile, AJK, how are you guys coping with the price war going on in your industry? I've been following it and I msut it's scaring, and interesting  cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 5:18pm On Apr 20, 2011
Jarus:

^^^^^

Another upward review of pay was effected here recently and bois are happy.  smiley I must say, at a time when many coys in the industry and elsewhere, are downsizing or cutting , I salute the mgt of my coy for this. Another 'blow' to my CBN/DMO plan, cos don't think these coys can offer what I get here, not even NNPC.

Meanwhile, AJK, how are you guys coping with the price war going on in your industry? I've been following it and I msut it's scaring, and interesting  cheesy

Nice one Jarus.
We voted for the guy oh. However, I think the whole episode has once again been lost in the Nigerian style of doing things. The only thing this election has taught me is that we Nigerians, especially we the enlightened ones, need to start developing a sense of ownership, or we should just migrate to other countries and forget Nigeria.

Na you dey chop oil moni. Na you biko. Remember your boys o grin

As per the price wars . . . in a way, we started it. So we are fully ready to ride it out. It's helping to grow the industry better, so i think we'll all be better off at the end of the day. Everybody is watching their margins with serious attention.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 20, 2011
Jarus:

^^^^^

Another upward review of pay was effected here recently and bois are happy
smiley I must say, at a time when many coys in the industry and elsewhere, are downsizing or cutting , I salute the mgt of my coy for this. Another 'blow' to my CBN/DMO plan, cos don't think these coys can offer what I get here, not even NNPC.

i am still trying to figure out JUST HOW I SPENT THE ARREARS. the money vamoose in less than 2wks.  angry angry angry
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 7:18pm On Apr 20, 2011
Jarus,

Share the money reach my side o, I no wan hear story today
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 9:41pm On Apr 21, 2011
Oyb, same 2 ur boi o. Mine no even last 2 wks. Lol
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 10:26pm On Apr 21, 2011
How are my peeps here?

It's been a while since I posted here. . . .family developments even more demanding than any job.

We're coming into the annual review process - time to close all the gaps or get left behind when the October promotion session comes around.

Trying to get so many workfronts completed and it's getting quite demanding. Working with drillers has to be the most frustrating experience in the world - they want to make up their own rules, they call you in when they have urgent issues and want you to do magic overnight. It's been interesting though, always good to expand your horizons.

Well deserved break coming up for Easter - have a blessed and relaxing Easter peeps.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 2:55pm On Apr 29, 2011
On topic…
Work is fine but trying to shift my base back home depending on how the Power Sector deregulation pans out. Time will tell…

I cross-posted the request below with the Business Section.

I’m trying to get a better handle on the salary structure in Nigeria (major cities). Can anyone help with the salary range for the following professions?

Electrical engineer (4-year degree with 0-2 years of experience)
Electrical engineer (4-year degree with 3-4 years of experience)

Technician (2 or 4 year degree in electronics)
Technician (2 or 4 year degree in electronics)

Sales Person (college graduate)
Secretary (college graduate)

Driver
Messenger

Also, do employers withhold taxes from employees? Any other information on taxes, like tax rate, sales tax, VAT, will be helpful.

Thanks!
Re: Welcome To My Office by tubabie(f): 8:53pm On May 02, 2011
debosky:

How are my peeps here?

It's been a while since I posted here. . . .family developments even more demanding than any job.
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:13pm On May 06, 2011
hey pple,
it's been ages, work is somewhat stressful, there's so much to learn and so little time, my plant should be up and running in a couple of months and at any given time there are at least 3 different locations where new machinery is being installed and of course there's only one of me cry.

on the paperwork side, I'm having to create maintenance plans for equipment(something we have a lot of. . .lol) and at first it seemed like I'd never get a handle on it but after receiving a deadline from our departmental 2-i-c the work became surprisingly easy. . .lol

There's nothing like responsibility to make you sit up o, knowing that the plans I propose will be implemented has been enough reason for me to make sure I know exactly what I'm supposed to work on(enough late-night reading sessions mennnn).

on the work politics front, I've been trying to argue less and so far so good I'd put my success rate at 50% some folks think I get too pedantic tongue.

All in all, works good, my social life is non-existent. . .sadly. . .lol

@debosky
if you're saying what i think you're saying. . .congrats
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 9:10am On May 07, 2011
netotse:

@debosky
if you're saying what i think you're saying. . .congrats

tubabie:

smiley smiley smiley

debosky:

I can't believe I missed alla this embarassed

debo, big congrats! So you decided to take a bite out of the 'ole apple, huh? Many years of health and happiness o. Na ban from the Romance and '%#$@&' sections be that for you grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by gbengene05: 2:28pm On May 07, 2011
i have left my job and now on my own.
Re: Welcome To My Office by leighcon(m): 1:19pm On May 10, 2011
^ ^ ^ ^
Eeyah! Somehow your first and only post yet on NL has also been on its own for FOUR days now. Let me run before this thread's cabals catch me here.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Chybyke07(m): 4:47pm On May 11, 2011
Ajanlekoko please help me unblock my account. I have been trying to create a new topic but unable to do so.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 10:02pm On May 20, 2011
Chybyke07:

Ajanlekoko please help me unblock my account. I have been trying to create a new topic but unable to do so.

Send an email to Antispam@nairaland.com, and you'll be unblocked. Stop trying to create the new topic when you're banned. You're probably violating one of our posting rules.

@Topic,
Under lots of pressure these days. There's a price war out there!
Re: Welcome To My Office by cecegorz(m): 9:53am On May 23, 2011
^^^
@ AJ, The price war is a welcome development for all the cows customers that has been milked dry prior to now  grin

So long here, folks. It's like this first quarter has been hectic for everybody. Na so so training sessions i dey hold all over the country, too mobile for my liking. But its all good sha.

@Office,
Got the promotion as expected, with all the accompanying arrears of pepper and all that (effective January, u know?)  cool  cool  cool

Now, i need to buy a good land fast!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.