Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (147251 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by loma(m): 5:42am On May 25, 2011
Just peeping in
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 7:19am On May 30, 2011
Where is everybody?
tkb417, Jarus, oyb, netotse, diggler, tollu, cecegorz, and all the other regulars to this thread?
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 7:09am On May 31, 2011
Seems everyone has gone awol.

Anyways, it's been a hectic couple of weeks for me. Had my third year assessment on the graduate development programme and ended up with a long list of items I must complete if I want to 'graduate' in September.

Eventually got my visa sorted out and I'm in the middle of nowhere in the Sahara desert. I don't even understand how people live here - got off the plane and it was 34 C at 9:30 in the morning, eventually reaching 41 C later on.

All I want to do is sit down in the airconditioned office and chill out, but no chance. . . .I'm going out to inspect some vessels and review a leak incident that shut down operations two days before I arrived.

The food is good though, much better than I expected in the desert, but the 12 hour shifts are a killer.

AjanleKoko:

I can't believe I missed alla this embarassed

debo, big congrats! So you decided to take a bite out of the 'ole apple, huh? Many years of health and happiness o. Na ban from the Romance and '%#$@&' sections be that for you grin

Thanks oh AJ, I have already been banned sef. . . .I barely have time to post these days!
Re: Welcome To My Office by diggler(m): 11:36pm On May 31, 2011
Sup folks

Erything is crazy up in this.

fast approaching Half year and Targets are far from met, Market is shot to Cow dung.

Hope y'all are having it better than moi.

I keep hearing crap like we are nnow disposed to lending from the bosses.
But i've had 5 good credit requests tossed over the past couple of months.

and to think i spent good time analyzing that crap and covering the stupid banks posterior.

I have come to the conclusion that the Nigerian banking Industry is not ready for me (esp the commercial side of things).

Anybody got pointers on how i can get into any of these Intl Development Finance Institutions?

Hope y'all be conquering.

Peace
Re: Welcome To My Office by jaula: 1:08pm On Jun 02, 2011
Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 8:41pm On Jun 02, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Where is everybody?
tkb417, Jarus, oyb, netotse, diggler, tollu, cecegorz, and all the other regulars to this thread?

Bossman, I dey o.
Stylishly this thread is on a hiatus. Hopefully, it'll pick up soon.

Cheers everyone
Re: Welcome To My Office by FBS: 1:19pm On Jun 03, 2011
Greetings to everyone!
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 2:32pm On Jun 09, 2011
loma:

Just peeping in
my oga!!!!

warrido boss

People ki lon sele

work, biz and many many travels

e jooh i no go fit die oh

ill soon announce my wedding plans with @tubabie

when im with her, na she go announce the union

cheers

@Ajanlekoko

i dey vex?
so cos i never be manager u dey do me anyhow?

God dey!

@debosky
ssup? how ur wife? at least u go free all those chocos for me now
asewo buruku

@Netotse n Jarus

tripple twales !

gottta run again
Re: Welcome To My Office by Ximustina(f): 6:25pm On Jun 12, 2011
nice trend, i work in federal min. hope i can post somethings. i just love the trend a nice way to cool off some tension
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 1:21pm On Jun 14, 2011
hey pple,

for the past week i've been chasing (yes literally chasing) a 58 year old engineer round the plant, the guy walks(and works) as if he runs on energizer batteries. . .he's commissioning a hot gas generator for us, he's one of the few ppl coming to commission eqpt that isnt chinese so this time I havent been cut-out of the loop heck i understand him better than all the chinese folks sef grin

Meeeeennnn the past 5months have been rough, knew next to nothing about engineering in industries outside power but now all man don dey form experts, lol.

I'm learning how not to be overawed by ppl with experience, you never know whether you know the solution till you voice it out. . .

on the worklitics side, my colleague just resigned and I'm certain my workload and stress levels are going to increase:::God dey.

Mechanical engineers can be so annoying . . . their execution engineers have better training than electrical, even though my department is cross-purpose mech guys still have better training and er'thing, I just dey look all of them. . .

as expected, my social life is non-exixtent except on the odd weekend I get to go into lagos and those aren't many. . .odeshi sha, wouldnt trade being an engineer for anything in the world[size=5pt]('cept maybe a rich engineer)[/size] grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by jaybee3(m): 1:34pm On Jun 14, 2011
^^^^
looks like dis power side of Elect Engineering is ya passion cos i could have sworn that control is not only more attractive but highly flexible/desirable
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 1:37pm On Jun 14, 2011
netotse:

hey pple,

for the past week i've been chasing (yes literally chasing) a 58 year old engineer round the plant, the guy walks(and works) as if he runs on energizer batteries. . .he's commissioning a hot gas generator for us, he's one of the few ppl coming to commission eqpt that isnt chinese so this time I havent been cut-out of the loop heck i understand him better than all the chinese folks sef grin

Meeeeennnn the past 5months have been rough, knew next to nothing about engineering in industries outside power but now all man don dey form experts, lol.

I'm learning how not to be overawed by ppl with experience, you never know whether you know the solution till you voice it out. . .

on the worklitics side, my colleague just resigned and I'm certain my workload and stress levels are going to increase:::God dey.

Mechanical engineers can be so annoying . . . their execution engineers have better training than electrical, even though my department is cross-purpose mech guys still have better training and er'thing, I just dey look all of them. . .

as expected, my social life is non-exixtent except on the odd weekend I get to go into lagos and those aren't many. . .odeshi sha, wouldnt trade being an engineer for anything in the world[size=5pt]('cept maybe a rich engineer)[/size] grin

You're just beginning to learn that mech in industry is usually treated as the core of engineering, and we just get to support them. LOL.
That's always the case in manufacturing. Unless you are in power or telecom, that will generally be your lot.

Good to read from you though. wink

jay bee:

^^^^
looks like dis power side of Elect Engineering is ya passion cos i could have sworn that control is not only more attractive but highly flexible/desirable

Is there a distinct difference? Automatic control principles are utilized in every area of electrical engineering, even in electronics.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 2:56pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jarus kuku dey around.

Trying to add 2+2 together in personal development.

Call it adult education, yours sincerely is looking forward to getting his first accounting professional certification this week. cheesy. And like I have always said, even with 3 years Accounting experience and Accounting professional qualification, I am still not convinced Accounting is my career destination. My first love remains Economics. This is why I am giving a shot a Msc(Economics) from Lag, after I realized I have been postponing same programme in a UK institution for 3 years now. I got Durham admission in 2007 but didn't go. Dropping work for the programme has not been an easy decision and I realize more and more commitments keep coming up(marrying, personal projects etc), which made me consider what I had always boasted I can't do: Masters in Nigerian university.

Now, attention has shifted from Msc to MBA as quality foreign degree I'm targetting to shore up my CV, all to prepare myself for my ultimate career goal: to be a top economic shot in Nigeria!
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 1:47pm On Jun 16, 2011
jay bee:

^^^^

omo it's power all the way for me. . .even though i'm starting to see electric motors and sensors in my dreams now. . .smh
AjanleKoko:

You're just beginning to learn that mech in industry is usually treated as the core of engineering, and we just get to support them. LOL.
That's always the case in manufacturing. Unless you are in power or telecom, that will generally be your lot.

Good to read from you though. wink

the boys are ok, we're waiting until we can be like you o. . .How's your end?

@tkb
tubabie ke? abeg forward me your jazzman's no. e get one person wey meself get eye on. . .lol grin

@Jarus
The higher you go the more difficult it becomes to leave work and go back to school o. . .meself still dey strategize on how to fit Msc into my plans o. . .

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 2:03pm On Jun 16, 2011
Good to see my people back in the house

@ Jarus

Congrats in advance. Try to do it sooner rather than later - especially once wife and kid(s) get in the picture. The responsibilities tend to make full time learning very tough, but part time learning is even tougher.

@ netotse

Do you have any gas compressors or turbines in the plant? Those are my current obsession (well the turbines have been a mini-obsession for 2 years now grin).

Just finishing a one week factory acceptance test on gas compressors for one of the projects I'm involved in. Safe to say I haven't had this much mechanical engineering involvement since my metal-work fun days in secondary school and early university. Been following the technicians around the factory and making sure that I actually understand what they are doing.

Rotating mechanical equipment are a beauty to behold, especially dismantling and putting them together again, and darn expensive too. Good thing I'm only doing this for a week - any more talk of thrust bearings, vibration and rotor dynamics and I'll start seeing compressors in my dream like netotse. grin

On a side note, Italian women sure are beautiful, even the ones working in the factory. grin
[size=5pt]My madam knows this and has insisted she will count the condoms in my first aid pack when I get back to make sure none are missing.[/size] grin grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by tubabie(f): 8:54pm On Jun 16, 2011
@Tkb and Netose
No wonder my ears were itchy. . . . . . let my name be you guys!

@Topic
Hello everyone, its been ages.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 10:31am On Jun 18, 2011
Hello All, hope its all going good

I have been battling with commissioning on one of my projects, the amount of paperwork and "box ticking" we have to do before we can power up is humongous and it also does not help when the client undertakes another HAZ9 study. Me has given up ooooo

@debosky, you know i drive pass your office in feltham, i work in sunbury
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 2:50pm On Jun 20, 2011
loma:

Just peeping in

Don't just peep o, egbon loma grin
Come tell us about your work in that super MNC
and those private engagements that earned you NLI and other awards( u think say I no see your pic with Segun Aganga) ; cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 3:37pm On Jun 20, 2011
Tmoni:

@debosky, you know i drive pass your office in feltham, i work in sunbury

This man I don talk say make you stop by so we can spend some of this big money you're making.

I go arrange roadblock for you if you no cooperate oh. grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by oyakhs: 3:37pm On Jun 20, 2011
i love 9ja
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jcob(m): 12:41am On Jun 22, 2011
Work is more demanding as i have to meet up with unrelated projects and at the same time have my eyes on other outsourced projects. well, the fun of it is that i meet cool peeps everyday and also have the chance to work on big brands.

@Ajanlekoko, ***prostrating**** Long time Sir, hope you've not forgotten your boy o . . . .at least you can push some small projects to our side so that me too can look well fedgrin

@Netotse, Bros how you dey? You are not even applying your brake at all, so we no dey see your brake light! Try and buzz me on Skype any time you are in Gidi . . . . many things to discuss,

@Tmoni, Still plan to relocate back home? ok oh, do you still have interest in the digital marketing scene? Big things are already happening o o o . We can discuss anytime sha.

@TKB, Boss, always seeing your handle on my TL via Tosinadeda. Hope you are Good?

Ximustina:

nice trend, i work in federal min. hope i can post somethings. i just love the trend a nice way to cool off some tension
Welcome Tina, you can post all good things grin!
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 4:06am On Jun 26, 2011
My office is under lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:31pm On Jun 26, 2011
It's sunday and I'm posting this from the office. . .God pass all my enemies sha undecided lipsrsealed tongue

debosky:

@ netotse

Do you have any gas compressors or turbines in the plant? Those are my current obsession (well the turbines have been a mini-obsession for 2 years now grin).

Just finishing a one week factory acceptance test on gas compressors for one of the projects I'm involved in. Safe to say I haven't had this much mechanical engineering involvement since my metal-work fun days in secondary school and early university. Been following the technicians around the factory and making sure that I actually understand what they are doing.

Rotating mechanical equipment are a beauty to behold, especially dismantling and putting them together again, and darn expensive too. Good thing I'm only doing this for a week - any more talk of thrust bearings, vibration and rotor dynamics and I'll start seeing compressors in my dream like netotse. grin
we dont use turbines o. . .you cant imagine my disappointment when I found out they use combustion engines(no mind them jo  grin), Vibration measurement is practically a part of my daily life but I dont go into details like the mech guys. . .small small I don dey sabi wetin dem dey do sha. . .scammers that they are cheesy grin

@jcob
no vex jo. . .the telcos here dont try at all, but I go try dey show face small small make we plan how to run things. . .

@tubabie
so you are officially denying tkb? speak now or forever hold your peace!!!

@thread
I now see why some people get irritated when you ask them questions while they're working, We will be troubleshooting something and someone who can clearly see from the look on your face that whatever we're trying isn't working will now come to me and tap you and when you turn he now asks "what is happening?" or any other irritating question. . .if it was just once It wouldn't be such a big deal but when 10 people do it everyday it gets annoying, and then there are the people that see you on the corridor and ask you why you are holding up the plant. . .meeennnnn if no be say I be small boy I for don dey give people dirty looks undecided

then there are the people(in this case fellow engineers) that ask you questions they could easily answer if only they would take the time to read the darn manual or look at the circuit diagrams. . .that's why they were created in the first place, if you've attempted to read them and you didn't understand that would be an entirely different kettle of fish. . .[size=5pt](I was once like this but I've been cured of this malaise. . . grin)[/size]

I still love my job though. . .

one more thing sef, why do we like lying to people in this country? I saw an article in a newspaper about how my plant has been completed and will be commissioned soonest. . .I come begin dey wonder whether I had forgotten how to read or I had suddenly become blind. . .God dey sha
Re: Welcome To My Office by dominobaby(f): 12:46pm On Jun 27, 2011
my office? i think i should rather say my 'site'.
i'm the project director/electrical engineer for a construction project my company is working on.

client (indian) demands that the site office is open everyday, meaning i've to be there everyday! the boring thing is that nothing is happening on site now, we're still chilling for the civil and structural engineers to finnish certain stuff before we can do anything.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 2:27pm On Jun 27, 2011
On a short holiday in AkataLand wink, but still keeping a keen eye on happenings at the office grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 5:18pm On Jun 28, 2011
Hey pple,

Just had the worst day ever at work. . .allowed myself to be goaded into losing my temper, got corrected by my boss' boss(he was nice about it though), had a disagreement with one of the chinese engineers I'm sort of close to. lost my temper again, broke a screw on a newly replaced piece of eqpt by over-tightening it. . .(In that order o)

funny thing is both people I lost my temper with are in the same dept(electrical execution) and so there's gist going round that dept I'm the devil(despite the fact that I'm "close" to the people) grin cheesy tongue. . .

I'm sort of upset with myself but at the same time there's this feeling of fulfilment you get when someone gives you crap and you give as good as you get. . .smh see me thinking I had finally put my hot-tempered days behind me. . .dont know if I'm going to apologize yet,

on a brighter note, weekend roster for the month is out and I'm off next weekend, I'm sooooo going to abuja this village don tire me. . . grin grin grin[size=4pt](maybe if I'm a good boy and I work hard one day I fit be like Ajanlekoko grin)[/size]
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 8:40am On Jun 29, 2011
netotse:

Hey pple,

Just had the worst day ever at work. . .allowed myself to be goaded into losing my temper, got corrected by my boss' boss(he was nice about it though), had a disagreement with one of the chinese engineers I'm sort of close to. lost my temper again, broke a screw on a newly replaced piece of eqpt by over-tightening it. . .(In that order o)

funny thing is both people I lost my temper with are in the same dept(electrical execution) and so there's gist going round that dept I'm the devil(despite the fact that I'm "close" to the people) grin cheesy tongue. . .

I'm sort of upset with myself but at the same time there's this feeling of fulfilment you get when someone gives you crap and you give as good as you get. . .smh see me thinking I had finally put my hot-tempered days behind me. . .dont know if I'm going to apologize yet,

Always good to lose your temper at some point. At least people will know you have one. grin
Though, ensure that your losing it is few and far between, less you be branded a loose cannon.

As per being like me . . . I'm not Michael Jackson yet, so save your strength jare tongue
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 29, 2011
netotse:

Hey pple,

on a brighter note, weekend roster for the month is out and I'm off next weekend, I'm sooooo going to abuja this village don tire me. . . grin grin grin[size=4pt](maybe if I'm a good boy and I work hard one day I fit be like Ajanlekoko grin)[/size]

be careful who you lose your temper around. i gave it back to some management imposed contractor via email. the guy copy everybody. u didnt do this did not give that blah blah blah. i fired back also copying everybody ( and not realizing oga had already sent a reply) and plenty plenty hell was let loose.

see nasty query, among other things. embarassed cry

oh well, my dept is officially ruled by query (for real) and i'd been wondering how much longer i'd be able to escape . . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 2:34pm On Jun 29, 2011
I also have some temper issue I'm struggling to deal with, but honetsly some people/actions are so annoying that if you dont't give it back to them hot, especially immediately, they will try it next time and take one for ride. Some sense of 'fulfilment' and satisfaction also comes with it.

But, a capital BUT, one has to be measured & calculative in it.

For example, last year I put one newly recruited gragra guy and his equally new boss that are always trying to prove fake efficiency in order to impress, to their right places. In order to show that they are working, when they make a simple request that could easily have even been done thru phone, tehy send mail, copying everybody including our function oga patapata group-wide(an ED and No 3 or 4 in Group wide hierachy). I have corrected him many times, but his gragra self would not listen. One day he sent one of such mail, a reminder on earlier request, copying all of them again. Thankfully, I had sent that him to him but he forgot, that was how I caught him. Come see the nasty response I sent him, 'replying all', including the ED. Since I had a good argument(that he was asking again for something I had sent him, and portraying me as inefficient), I fired the email back to him, with stylish turenchi, ending it with ' next time, please check your records well before sending thsi kind of mail, as this will not do teamwork, our core value, any good'. His oga(also copied, but on vacation) saw teh mail and tried to defend him, but it was weak. Nobody replied her, All the ogas(including the Group ED) read our email exchange but kept mute, did not intervene). Since that time, the guy fear me no be small. In
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 29, 2011
teamwork, our core value, any good'

grin grin grin grin

core values - don't u just love em  cheesy tongue
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 5:00pm On Jun 29, 2011
You know, even when you want to fire somebody(like that mail), you romanticize it with 'core values' cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 12:34pm On Jul 01, 2011
Jarus:

You know, even when you want to fire somebody(like that mail), you romanticize it with 'core values' cheesy

These days. Nobody fires anybody anymore. They just restructure the department grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.