Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,266 members, 7,957,653 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:53 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (150377 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by DoubleN(m): 3:40am On Jul 02, 2011
I'm in a quagmire as regards my career at the moment. I have recently gotten admission to a school in Scotland to do my MSC in a very promising field in ICT and just yesterday got a Job Offer from one of the foremost insurance firms in the country(In their IT department). Quickly pounced on the offer cos i have been out of sorts in my current place and the benefits are very good though the pay could be better. Kinda confused on whether to just defer the admission indefinitely till further notice or plunge into the deep and head out for the MSC. . What do you think guys?
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 10:49am On Jul 02, 2011
Double N:

I'm in a quagmire as regards my career at the moment. I have recently gotten admission to a school in Scotland to do my MSC in a very promising field in ICT and just yesterday got a Job Offer from one of the foremost insurance firms in the country(In their IT department). Quickly pounced on the offer cos i have been out of sorts in my current place and the benefits are very good though the pay could be better. Kinda confused on whether to just defer the admission indefinitely till further notice or plunge into the deep and head out for the MSC. . What do you think guys?

this depends on how old you are and what your definition of acceptable risk is. . . I would consider career growth, I'm wary about working in organisations where you are not part of the "core business" because when push comes to shove you aren't really vital for the company to survive although these days IT is becoming core to just about any industry.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:39am On Jul 02, 2011
Double N:

It all depends on you.
I'd say experience is a lot more valuable than academics> I'd say defer for a year and get the work experience, then see how things go.
Are you degree qualified in IT? Why do you want to do an Msc? Just curious.
Re: Welcome To My Office by DoubleN(m): 11:14pm On Jul 02, 2011
netotse:

this depends on how old you are and what your definition of acceptable risk is. . . I would consider career growth, I'm wary about working in organisations where you are not part of the "core business" because when push comes to shove you aren't really vital for the company to survive although these days IT is becoming core to just about any industry.
I am in the later part of my twenties and not shy of taking risks. The Organisation in question is on the verge of hopping on the e-business train and sees IT as a key component needed to achieve its goals.
AjanleKoko:

It all depends on you.
I'd say experience is a lot more valuable than academics> I'd say defer for a year and get the work experience, then see how things go.
Are you degree qualified in IT? Why do you want to do an Msc? Just curious.
I am not degree qualified in IT,i read one of dem Biological sciences in school and had a year of training in one of those Indian run 'IT schools'. What makes me relevant is that i have managed to acquire some very important IT certifications (With Hand's on Knowledge). As for the Msc in IT, the reason i choose to proceed with it was in order to get some knowledge and exposure i might not get in my immediate environment. Also to shoot my self up the Pecking order. wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 10:56am On Jul 03, 2011
Like Netostse and Ajanlekoko it sounds to me like pursuing a career is the way to go. If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely pick the career path.
Hands on experience over 'books' anytime. You must know, or have heard, about a number of people who spent hard earned money on so called foreign degrees and came back to lanu si ategun i.e no promising jobs.

If you weren't gainfully employed, I would have said yes go for the degree.
So stick with your career, if it's a correct place as you have implied, you would get to go on trainings and if your heart still yearns after the books, you could take a study leave after a couple of years (depending on your org) or look into distance learning.
Re: Welcome To My Office by DoubleN(m): 9:40pm On Jul 03, 2011
tollu:

Like Netostse and Ajanlekoko it sounds to me like pursuing a career is the way to go. If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely pick the career path.
Hands on experience over 'books' anytime. You must know, or have heard, about a number of people who spent hard earned money on so called foreign degrees and came back to lanu si ategun i.e no promising jobs.

If you weren't gainfully employed, I would have said yes go for the degree.
So stick with your career, if it's a correct place as you have implied, you would get to go on trainings and if your heart still yearns after the books, you could take a study leave after a couple of years (depending on your org) or look into distance learning.
Thanks for the advice.
Re: Welcome To My Office by lolade4(f): 3:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
Double N:

My tuppence worth here, since you are not degree qualified in IT, this p/g course might actually help you get a stronghold in the field; 'cause at the end of the day when you are up against people who are IT qualified and with equal/similar level of experience for a job that might actually count against you.
Re: Welcome To My Office by jaybee3(m): 4:47pm On Jul 04, 2011
lol-ade:

My tuppence worth here, since you are not degree qualified in IT, [s]this p/g course might actually help you get a stronghold in the field[/s]; 'cause at the end of the day when you are up against people who are IT qualified and with equal/similar level of experience for a job that might actually count against you.
Nah it won't.
All that's needed in IT is, Experience and certifications.
Re: Welcome To My Office by lolade4(f): 9:06pm On Jul 04, 2011
jay bee:

Nah it won't.
All that's needed in IT is, Experience and certifications.
Really, i thought it it was the same as other disciplines
Re: Welcome To My Office by Chybyke07(m): 3:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
Good day guys.

Am urgently in need of some professional IT books.

Where can I see good bookshops in Lagos.

The books include one on Business Information Systems.

Thanks
Re: Welcome To My Office by hispy99(m): 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2011
Double N:

Defer your admission for 1 year and take the job.  If you don't like it then you can leave after 1 year.  If you do like it, figure out how long you can defer your admission for and if your firm grants study leave after a number of years.  You just might be able to defer your admission long enough for you to enjoy the best of both worlds (attend the school while on study leave)
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 8:22pm On Jul 10, 2011
Chybyke07:

Good day guys.

Am urgently in need of some professional IT books.

Where can I see good bookshops in Lagos.

The books include one on Business Information Systems.

Thanks

Check out either CSS Bookstore, Silverbird Lifestyle store, or Jeff & O'Brien (dunno if they are still in biz, they used to be on Unity Road Ikeja).
Re: Welcome To My Office by DoubleN(m): 9:02pm On Jul 11, 2011
Thanks guys for all the advice,i have decided to take up the new Job. The MSC is a no no now because i still have to make the initial deposit before i can defer the admission. undecided . i can't afford to tie up such huge amount of money (2,500GBP)! so its a no go for now. Thanks once again for the advice pips.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 14, 2011
^^^^
Good decision.
Foreign degree is no longer as hyped over here as before.

We have tons of jobless foreign degree holders in Naija.
Your experience is what really counts these days.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 9:23pm On Jul 14, 2011
BlueDiva:

^^^^
Good decision.

BD,
Where have you been?
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 9:32pm On Jul 14, 2011
Just spent 8 days working in the desert at one of the gas processing facilities. . . .mehn those guys working permanently there deserve every penny of the armed robber salaries they get paid. Spending just one week there has made me blacker than charcoal and I think I actually felt my brain cells being roasted after a while. cheesy

I've always suspected deserts aren't flat and just sand dunes like we see in the movies and I've confirmed that now - the landscape is simply breathtaking at some points. Seeing the sun rise with nothing in the way is just awesome. . . . till it starts to roast you and you run inside for cover. grin

Got introduced to like 50 different people - i'm sure I've forgotten 90% of the names already. One of the great things about this job is the variety of people you meet - Romanians, Filipinos, Bosnians, Norwegians, Americans, Frenchies, Ecuadorians, name it.

A downside is all the politics - almost every group has an agenda and you need to understand it first of all and then find a way to convince them to to get your own work to proceed.

I did enjoy getting out of the office for a while, but I am glad to go back to my normal 8 or 9 hour days - those 12 hour shifts are a killer.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 8:29am On Jul 15, 2011
debosky:

Just spent 8 days working in the desert at one of the gas processing facilities. . . .mehn those guys working permanently there deserve every penny of the armed robber salaries they get paid. Spending just one week there has made me blacker than charcoal and I think I actually felt my brain cells being roasted after a while. cheesy

I've always suspected deserts aren't flat and just sand dunes like we see in the movies and I've confirmed that now - the landscape is simply breathtaking at some points. Seeing the sun rise with nothing in the way is just awesome. . . . till it starts to roast you and you run inside for cover. grin

Got introduced to like 50 different people - i'm sure I've forgotten 90% of the names already. One of the great things about this job is the variety of people you meet - Romanians, Filipinos, Bosnians, Norwegians, Americans, Frenchies, Ecuadorians, name it.

A downside is all the politics - almost every group has an agenda and you need to understand it first of all and then find a way to convince them to to get your own work to proceed.

I did enjoy getting out of the office for a while, but I am glad to go back to my normal 8 or 9 hour days - those 12 hour shifts are a killer.

take away the desert and you're welcome to my world (minus the armed robber salary grin). . .

@thread
today is my confirmation interview. . .it's been postponed thrice (once at my instance), I just dey wait make them ask me "do you have any questions or comments about the company?". . . tongue grin lipsrsealed
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 8:38am On Jul 15, 2011
BlueDiva:

^^^^
Good decision.

i thought i was the only one that has been observing this in recent time. I had a chat few days ago with 2 ex-classmates of mine who left their banking jobs to do their Masters in UK. They have been back for few months now and still looking for job.

But in my own company, you stand high chance of being re-absorbed after going for Masters abroad, especially if your made it clearn that your going was for study leave.

Meanwhile, on a personal note, yours sincerely got his first Accounting professional qualification(ACA) last week. Add 3+ years experience in Accounting to that, and I'm still not convinced Accounting job is my career destination. Economics(where i had my first degree and planning to have further degrees) still remains my first love. I just wrote ICAN to keep myself busy and perhaps to be competitive where i find myself(Accouting job). I will be through with CITN(Tax) too shortly by God's grace. But despite all these, I'm still pushing for an institution where Economics, more than Accounting, will be what I'll be doing/using on operational basis.
Re: Welcome To My Office by shilling(f): 10:49am On Jul 15, 2011
debosky:

Just spent 8 days working in the desert at one of the gas processing facilities. . . .mehn those guys working permanently there deserve every penny of the armed robber salaries they get paid.[b] Spending just one week there has made me blacker than charcoal [/b]and I think I actually felt my brain cells being roasted after a while. cheesy

You need to wear sunscreen! smiley
Re: Welcome To My Office by omaojo1: 11:03am On Jul 15, 2011
After following this thread for long, i make a debut. Though activities here are no longer beehive. I work with a commercial bank
BlueDiva:

^^^^
Good decision.

Foreign degrees have never been overhyped. Back in the days, there were few of them who when competing with local degree holders always have the edge of attending foreign schools. And even till date, they are still preferred ahead of our local graduates, but, there have been a surge in the number of foreign graduates. Add this to the skyrocketing unemployment rate and you can only imagine.
Just a thougth: do you remember the last Zenith, FBN, UBA, and co yearly recruitment exercise? For all i know, its only PWC that has been consistent and a little transparent in the yearly recruitment exercise thing. And this is just for entry level graduates.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 3:34pm On Jul 15, 2011
Jarus,
Why aren't you pursuing a postgrad in economics?
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 6:56pm On Jul 15, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Jarus,
Why aren't you pursuing a postgrad in economics?
sure. that's been in the cards for long. got durham msc econs admission in 2007, but kept deferring due to work.

already settled for same course in Lag later this year, on part time basis
Re: Welcome To My Office by loma(m): 3:51am On Jul 16, 2011
Personal advice- if you are going to leave Nigeria to go abroad for a grad degree, make sure its a school that worth its name, not all these 'gbarogudu' schools in the UK (and there are a lot of them). And all the better if you can get a scholarship, so you are not spending your own money!
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2011
shilling:

You need to wear sunscreen! smiley

Dunno if sunscreen would work on the type of sun in this place. . . .your skin gets so hot you can fry eggs on it. grin

Big congrats to oga Jarus - have a few drinks (non-alcoholic of course grin) on me.

netotse:

take away the desert and you're welcome to my world (minus the armed robber salary grin). . .

I'm still thinking of applying to work there full time, though I doubt the management will agree to that move, regardless of the cash. grin

@thread
today is my confirmation interview. . .it's been postponed thrice (once at my instance), I just dey wait make them ask me "do you have any questions or comments about the company?". . . tongue grin lipsrsealed

I have a question you could've asked - why do you tell lies to the press by announcing the plant is completed while we're still carrying out commissioning? grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:06pm On Jul 16, 2011
Jarus:

sure. that's been in the cards for long. got durham msc econs admission in 2007, but kept deferring due to work.

already settled for same course in Lag later this year, on part time basis

Or you could go for a masters in finance, since you're already beating a path down that track. Economics might be too theoretical for industry.
Re: Welcome To My Office by elegal1(f): 6:41pm On Jul 17, 2011
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:09pm On Jul 24, 2011
@Topic,
Work is  . . . well, work. Same old same old.
Just back from a short break, and already hankering to go on leave again grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 7:51am On Jul 30, 2011
loma:

Personal advice- if you are going to leave Nigeria to go abroad for a grad degree, make sure its a school that worth its name, not all these 'gbarogudu' schools in the UK (and there are a lot of them). And all the better if you can get a scholarship, so you are not spending your own money!
Yes Boss!

enrol in a rubbish school, get admission, borrow to pay, if you come back here, OYO LO WA

nothing for you

@Topic
same ol same

Left IB for personal runs and its been helluva work. cash wise, its been better tho but now i know to be a man, its not even a years job.

aside my personal engagements, ill be working with some PE guys from the US on a project in the North. 18months of Lagos-Abuja-Jo'bourg in the offing This would start in September but the prob now is how to combine my personal runs with this. The experience, emoluments and the calibre of people on the project would not make me say NO

ive got about 30 days to clear my head and be sure of what i want

aside career, the race to get married is gathering momentum. watch this space oh grin grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 8:05am On Jul 30, 2011
Senıor TKB, I was about openıng a thread, askıng 'where ıs TKB?.

Good to know you've left IB for personal runs. Very decısıve.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 8:53am On Jul 30, 2011
Jarus:

Senıor TKB, I was about openıng a thread, askıng 'where ıs TKB?.

Good to know you've left IB for personal runs. Very decısıve.

Jarus the Genius!

Yeah, very decisive. had to do it . Thats the only way i can ever be fulfilled as an individual

how is ur Iyawo?
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 9:53am On Jul 30, 2011
tkb417:

@Topic
same ol same

Left IB for personal runs and its been helluva work. cash wise, its been better tho but now i know to be a man, its not even a years job.

aside my personal engagements, ill be working with some PE guys from the US on a project in the North. 18months of Lagos-Abuja-Jo'bourg in the offing This would start in September but the prob now is how to combine my personal runs with this. The experience, emoluments and the calibre of people on the project would not make me say NO

ive got about 30 days to clear my head and be sure of what i want

aside career, the race to get married is gathering momentum. watch this space oh grin grin

Nice one tkb,
Was wondering where you had gotten to.
Personal runs is always the most rewarding.
We should talk sometime.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 10:09pm On Jul 30, 2011
A wa pa jare.

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.