Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,511 members, 7,770,304 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:54 AM

ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? (150870 Views)

Acca or Ican / Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice / Accountants: ACCA, ICMA Or ICAN. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 3:19pm On Jul 23, 2007
I am a professional Accounting student and i have noticed that there's always a kind of rivalry between students writing ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) and ICAN (Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria).

There's always a problem as to which of these is more difficult to write and which provides more benefits to the holder's of these certifications. I really want to know what Nairalanders feel.

I am an ACCA student, so you can guess which side of the divide i am.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Naijapikin(m): 3:42pm On Jul 23, 2007
In terms of benefits, definitely, ACCA is more beneficial due to its wider acceptance internationally. ICAN does not have that wider recognition yet, although highly respected in most commonwealth nations. As for which exam is more difficult, well I can't say. All I know is that ICAN is VERY difficult to pass. I'm expecting my PE III May diet result this week. I know it will be well.

Conclusion: ACCA is better. If you have the cash to run it, settle for it. Remember, ICAN "started" from ACCA. That is why we are the best and only professional body for accountants in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by soladavid(m): 6:22pm On Jul 24, 2007
there is nothing wrong in having d two and crown them with CFA

9 Likes

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by ikechukwu(m): 11:34am On Jul 25, 2007
How do one get in contact with ACCA's Agents in Abuja?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 12:16pm On Jul 25, 2007
ikechukwu:

How do one get in contact with ACCA's Agents in Abuja?

ACCA's representative office is in Lagos. 4th floor, Africa Re Building, plot 1679 Karimu Kotun, VI, Lagos.

But i know there are organizations offering ACCA lectures in Abuja. They should be able to help you with whatever info you need.

you can call 012705560 (ACCA NIgeria) for any information and details of lecture centers in Abuja.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Layemi(f): 9:46pm On Jul 25, 2007
I am an ambitious student studying accounting in one of the private universities in Nigeria. i want you to inform me on to get started in my ICAN examination. i will be in my final year by september. thanks.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by ciroco: 11:03pm On Jul 25, 2007
i have registered for ACCA and am getting ready to start, pls i want what is like just beign curious. I mean the task ahead
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by victor4u(m): 8:35am On Jul 26, 2007
ACCA is more better in respect of the recognition and worldwide acceptance and also below are also the benefit of ACCA compared to ICAN

As an ACCA student, you can:
1. Have a Bsc in Applied Accounting from oxford Brookes University after you complete the Skills level i.e part 2 of the professional stage, all you will be required is to write a project and your class of degree will be based on your performance at the ACCA exams so far and of course the project.

2. You also have the opportunity of having your masters if you so desire after completion of the whole stages of the ACCA,all u will be required to to write a project for the award of Masters.

3. As an ACCA qualified, you can automatically be an ACA holder i.e ICAN if you so desire without having to write any of the exams of ICAN

4. You have the opportunity to graduate in the U.K or your certificate sent to you via mail ( Bsc & Masters)

5. An ACA holder (ICAN) will have to write 3 - 5 courses before becoming an ACCA quailified depending on the level of exemption given.

6. ICAN is more difficult as per exams where you have to write 4 papers but ACCA is more flexible as per you can write a minimum of 1 paper and a maximum of 4 depending on your capability as per finance and study.

I am an AAT holder and presently a student of the ACCA; I also help current students and prospective student pay their fees or register on line via credit card.

Do you know that the deadline to register as a student of the ACCA is next month - August 15 and if above 21 yrs, u can register as a Matured entry student and start from the professional straight. or have an certificate in Accounting then you might be exempted feom certain papers.

Need more info or more clarification or want to register or pay your fees or get approved ACCA reading materials?

Then contact me - Victor on 08054523301, or to my office at 12, Samuel manuwa str by 1004 2nd gate, Victoria Island Lagos. or wanna chat? den i.m me @ eva_victor2005 at yahoo messenger or eva_victor2005@yahoo.com.

Will be very more than willing to assit you. Thanks to Nairaland. am always on line.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2007
@ victor

your information is not entirely accurate. i'll deal with the misleading ones ONLY.

1. To be eligible for the MBA you have to be a full member (NOT an Affliate) which means you would have completed 3 years of SUPERVISED work experience including passing all the exams. Then you will be exempted from some exams that are similar in the MBA. SO YOU WILL STILL NEED TO WRITE EXAMS FOR THE MBA including the project. the MBA is delivered online and study materials will be sent to you. the MBA is delivered through the Oxford Institute of International Finance.

2. If you have ICAN, you will write a MINIMUM of FIVE papers. no exemptions are granted for level 3 papers.

@ all

For those that want to register for ACCA, its better you contact the ACCA office for details. it is cheaper and more reliable to register through them. the only challenge is that you would have to get a UK (sterling) draft of 62 pounds or find a way to pay online.You can also use any of the lecture centers. a lot of people are having problems with their registration because of dubious agents.

ACCA is a challenging exam, so if you don't want Oyinbo to use your money to plant flowers, be prepared.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by victor4u(m): 9:37am On Jul 26, 2007
@ Sharpman

Tnx for the observation, i really appreciate it.

You right no exemption for part 3 papers and also as per the MBA stuff, u are completely right.

I am also a student and I gave all my contact details here, I discovered that many people are ignorant about this ACCA stuff, cos at the beginning, i found difficulties registering as a student myself, that was wat prompted me to get a master card so i will be able to help others out.

Nairalanders if you can go directly to their office to register, pls do.

Also we have tutorial centres that do wat i do exactly,i.e CBA, PYE house, Synergy and a host of others.

I am not an agent but a working student that has helped a number of my colleagues.

All i want to offer here is an assistance, the choice is urs.

Tnx sharpman.

c ya

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by victor4u(m): 9:50am On Jul 26, 2007
@ sharpman

so aw ws ur last diet exams? which papers are you writing this Dec? and where are u having your lectures?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by ebos(m): 9:52am On Jul 26, 2007
ACCA and ICAN

It depends where you are. ICAN is only in Nigeria and ACCA is worldwide. So, ACCA provides you better and wider opportunities than ICAN. I know ICAN is quite good in Nigeria, but I think ACCA is preferable.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 10:05am On Jul 26, 2007
victor4u:

@ sharpman

so aw ws your last diet exams? which papers are you writing this Dec? and where are u having your lectures?

the last exams were fine, except for 3.3. but i am trusting God.

i'll be writing the core papers this dec. (P1, P2 and P3). i have started lectures already at SYNERGY.

By the way, i should be receiving the result of my Oxford brookes project tomorrow. pls pray for me oh.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by fables(f): 10:13am On Jul 26, 2007
Sharpman or Victor, someone should help me here. I am an OND holder am I elligible to take the Exam?

2) In Naira how much is it going to cost me?

3) To become an ACCA holder how many exam i mine suppose to write? and how many month interval is between 1 exam period to the other?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 10:25am On Jul 26, 2007
fables:

Sharpman or Victor, someone should help me here. I am an OND holder am I elligible to take the Exam?

2) In Naira how much is it going to cost me?

3) To become an ACCA holder how many exam i mine suppose to write? and how many month interval is between 1 exam period to the other?

even if you no go school at all, you can write the exams.

with your OND you will write 14 papers and the exams are taken twice a year. june and december. as for how much, it depends on who is registering you but it costs 62 pounds to register.

you can call Victor.

visit www.accaglobal.com for info.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by victor4u(m): 10:45am On Jul 26, 2007
@ sharpman

Omo i dey happy for u ooo, no wry its a done deal already, na first class dey go give u.
Come, y P1,P2,P3 wen u just finish 3.3? wetin happen? also ebi like say na synergy i go come for lectures oooo.av been reading on my own.  come aw ws d project like?

@ fables

You have OND in wat?If accounting, then u might be exempted from certain papers in the Professional part 1. if not accounting bt if over 21yrs u can apply via matured entry and start from the professional.

1. The pounds currency is not stable cos i work in a bureau de change and its currently about 256 per pound; For registration I collect 20k tutorial centres like PYE, SYNERGY, CBA collects btw 23k - 25k ( d one i know). apart from the initial registration, u will also be required to pay subscription fee evry yr which is due on evry 1st of January each yr bt u wont av to pay for the year u register.

2. How many exams depends on where you are starting and the level of exemption give. Professional - Part 1: 3 papers, Part 2: 6 papers and Part 3: 5 papers; total of 14 papers. maximum of 4 papers in each diet and minimum of one.

3. Each diet is 6 months, exams are in Dec and June each yr. and deadline for registration for each diet is August 15 for Dec exams and Dec 31st for June exams
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by ogoretta: 11:29am On Jul 26, 2007
in my own opinion ACCA is better than ICAN, ACCA is internationally recognised while ICAN is nationally recognized. for the exam ICAN is more difficult.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 11:50am On Jul 26, 2007
ogor etta:

in my own opinion ACCA is better than ICAN, ACCA is internationally recognised while ICAN is nationally recognized. for the exam ICAN is more difficult.

I don't completely agree with the difficult part.

ACCA is very challenging but they try as much as possible to help their students pass. you have access to study materials, past question papers, etc. At times they also give an insight into what might be featured in the exams. Your exam scores are also shown so if you get a 49 (thats a fail) you get to know.

with all these study aids available, the pass rate for some of the papers is as low as 30% (i.e only about 30% candidates pass).

A guy that taught me in level one (ICAN qualified accountant, and was also given some exemptions) did no pass a paper we wrote together.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by denowo(m): 12:08pm On Jul 26, 2007
ACCA would provide you with better prospects due to its international recognition and continuous development programmes.

There are 14 papers divided into 3 different levels and before you can register for any exams, you ought to have been a registered student for at least 6 months.
The ACCA members also contribute to the development of the students by running several revision classes at a discount rate.

I belong to the Central London Members Network and we provide revision classes in May and November for up to six papers and charge only £5 for a 1hr 30 mins lecture given by top lecturers from BPP, FTC LCA etc and these lectures are held at the ACCA office at Lincoln’s Inn and University College London.

You also have the option of Opting for the Oxford Brookes Degree programme which would qualify you for an award of BSc in Applied Accounting when you have written your project and for you to really benefit from this you need an average mark of at least 54% in your ACCA exams to get a 2.2 otherwise an average mark of 50 would confine you to third class which almost defeats the purpose of the programme.

Passing the 14 papers makes you an affiliate and not a member, once you have completed your supervised 36 month training, you then apply for membership.

Once you become a member you could equally opt for the 21 month MBA programme at Oxford Brookes.

ACCA would normally give you 10 yrs to finish the programme and it is up to you to decide on how fast you want to go bearing in mind you can only sit a maximum four papers at a time.

I had a senior friend who had ICAN from Nigeria with over 20 years practical experience and he was only exempted from 6 papers. If you have ACCA and wanted to do ICAN I guess you would still need to do Nigerian Taxation and each country has different approaches to tax.

I am not quite certain ICAN evolved out of ACCA, I think it evolved out of ICAEW (England & Wales)

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 12:39pm On Jul 26, 2007
@ denowo

how is the Oxford Brookes degree in applied accounting regarded in the UK, is it highly regarded or is it different from other BSc's?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by denowo(m): 12:49pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Sharpman,

Oxford Brookes is highly regarded in the UK and in the last 5 years have won the award of best new university in the Sunday Times Guide.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by fables(f): 1:01pm On Jul 26, 2007
thx alot sharpman & victor you really answer my question.

I av ND in accounting, checking their website I learn one is paying as much as 400+ pound for each exam, pls throw more light to that.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 1:16pm On Jul 26, 2007
@ fables

you DO NOT pay up to 400 pounds for the exam.

after the 62 pounds for registration you pay depending on the papers and level you write. details are below

Knowledge £45 / paper
Skills £53 / paper
Professional £61 / paper

@ all

i just received an email notification from Oxford Brookes, them say i pass the project and i get FIRST CLASS.

help me thank God oh. i hope the employers in Nigeria will respect it.

6 Likes

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by denowo(m): 1:22pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Sharpman,

Congratualations.

That means your average scores in your ACCA exams so far is >65%
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by victor4u(m): 1:24pm On Jul 26, 2007
heyyyyyyyyyyyyy congrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Omo men we go wash this one ooooooooooo, i no go gre at alllllllllll, we go wash am ooooooooo; anyway sha congrat and i bet u b hot cake already

Come shebi u say u dey synergy? aw we go c now cos ebi like say i go need ur help for my project 2.  OMO MEEEN GOD IS GOOD
bt u nver answer my question aw come PI, P2, P3 when u writing 3.3 and finished ur project?

also do u av any other B.SC? wat do u think about only oxfords Bsc?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by denowo(m): 1:31pm On Jul 26, 2007
P1,P2 AND P3 are the last three papers of ACCA called the core papers, while 3.3 is one of the optional papers popularly called semi-finals
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 1:32pm On Jul 26, 2007
@ denowo,

my average scores so far is 73%

@ victor

i wrote the optional papers last diet 3.3 and 3.4 so i am now writing the core papers. it should have been 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 in the old syllabus but in the new syllabus it is P1, P2 and P3. i also have a degree in Engineering from University of Ilorin.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by fables(f): 1:57pm On Jul 26, 2007
@ sharpman Congrat and thanks alot i really appreciate it. hope when i start i will get in touch with u.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by denowo(m): 2:30pm On Jul 26, 2007
@ Sharpman,

With an average of 73%, i would suggest you contact KPMG, Delloittes and Arthur Anderson,they would give you the best training that is if you want to work for an accounting firm.

Alternatively you could also try the oil & gas industry, i heard KPMG is recruiting for shell at the moment

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by victor4u(m): 3:33pm On Jul 26, 2007
@ sharp man

omo na true denowo talk ooooo, the best training ever is in KPMG, Akintola williams or Pricewater House or oil - coy SHELL

No delay at all

Best of success wink
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by uchetobi(f): 5:32pm On Jul 26, 2007
There is no Anderson in Nigeria again, Just KPMG, Delloitte, Accenture and then likes. Oops! except he is out of NAija
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Everbright(f): 7:56am On Jul 27, 2007
The two are good professional certs,but I think ACCA is taking over ICAN and it's now rated higher.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management / Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.