Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,949 members, 7,952,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:42 AM

Welcome To My Office - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (150277 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 10:09am On Feb 27, 2009
Thanks TKB, Diggler, Jericho.
I'm really at a crossroad: To stay or not to stay? i.e Being retained where I currently am
Jericho: We go definitely wash am. Enough e-drinks for my peeps

Diggler
The Dollar exchanging at 171 Man, that’s mad
Shouldn’t the BDC mkt be experiencing some changes in its structure? I think I read sumwhere that the capitalization thing is about to hit them BIG time.

Keep ur WMD in its place okay, man whores are so not cute. Leave all that stuff to the females  wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 12:05pm On Feb 27, 2009
Hey all,
It seems we have a lot of financial sector peeps in here.The newspapers are writing so much tales of doom these days.Let me cheer you up with this little story (not original). Nice piece of economics.
*****************************************************************************************************************************
How a Bubble Builds and then Bursts
Once there was a little island country. The land of this country was the tiny island itself. The total money in circulation was 2 dollars as there were only two pieces of 1 dollar coins circulating around.
 1) There were 3 citizens living on this island country. A owned the land. B and C each owned 1 dollar.
 2) B decided to purchase the land from A for 1 dollar. So, now A and C own 1 dollar each while B owned a piece of land that is worth 1 dollar.
  The net asset of the country now = 3 dollars.
  3) Now C thought that since there is only one piece of land in the country, and land is non producible asset, its value must definitely go up. So, he borrowed 1 dollar from A, and together with his own 1 dollar, he bought the land from B for 2 dollars.  A has a loan to C of 1 dollar, so his net asset is 1 dollar. B sold his land and got 2 dollars, so his net asset is 2 dollars. C owned the piece of land worth 2 dollars but with his 1 dollar debt to A, his net residual asset is 1 dollar.    
  Thus, the net asset of the country = 4 dollars.
  4) A saw that the land he once owned has risen in value. He regretted having sold it. Luckily, he has a 1 dollar loan to C. He then borrowed 2 dollars from B and acquired the land back from C for 3 dollars. The payment is by 2 dollars cash (which he borrowed) and cancellation of the 1 dollar loan to C. As a result, A now owned a piece of land that is worth 3 dollars. But since he owed B 2 dollars, his net asset is 1 dollar. B loaned 2 dollars to A. So his net asset is 2 dollars. C now has the 2 coins. His net asset is also 2 dollars.
The net asset of the country = 5 dollars. A bubble is building up.
  (5) B saw that the value of land kept rising. He also wanted to own the land. So he bought the land from A for 4 dollars. The payment is by borrowing 2 dollars from C, and cancellation of his 2 dollars loan to A.
As a result, A has got his debt cleared and he got the 2 coins. His net asset is 2 dollars. B owned a piece of land that is worth 4 dollars, but since he has a debt of 2 dollars with C, his net Asset is 2dollars. C loaned 2 dollars to B, so his net asset is 2 dollars.
The net asset of the country = 6 dollars; even though, the country has only one piece of land and 2 Dollars in circulation.

(6) Everybody has made money and everybody felt happy and prosperous.
   (7) One day an evil wind blew, and an evil thought came to C's mind. "Hey, what if the land price stop going up, how could B repay my loan. There is only 2 dollars in circulation, and, I think after all the land that B owns is worth at most only 1 dollar, and no more."
    (cool A also thought the same way.
    (9) Nobody wanted to buy land anymore. So, in the end, A owns the 2 dollar coins, his net asset is 2 dollars.  B owed C 2 dollars and the land he owned which he thought worth 4 dollars is now 1 dollar. So his net asset is only 1 dollar.  C has a loan of 2 dollars to B. But it is a bad debt.  Although his net asset is still 2 dollars, his Heart is palpitating.
The net asset of the country = 3 dollars again.
 ( 10) So, who has stolen the 3 dollars from the country? Of course, before the bubble burst B thought his land was worth 4 dollars. Actually, right before the collapse, the net asset of the country was 6 dollars on paper. B's net asset is still 2 dollars, his heart is palpitating.
  (11) B had no choice but to declare bankruptcy. C as to relinquish his 2 dollars bad debt to B, but in return he acquired the land which is worth 1 dollar now.
  A owns the 2 coins; his net asset is 2 dollars. B is bankrupt; his net asset is 0 dollar. (He lost everything) C got no choice but end up with a land worth only 1 dollar.
  The net asset of the country = 3 dollars.

************ **End of the story; BUT ************ ************ ***
   There is however a redistribution of wealth.
  A is the winner, B is the loser, C is lucky that he is spared.
 A few points worth noting -
    (1) when a bubble is building up, the debt of individuals to one another in a country is also building up.
  (2) This story of the island is a closed system whereby there is no other country and hence no foreign debt. The worth of the asset can only be calculated using the islandʼs own currency. Hence, there is no net loss.
  (3) An over-damped system is assumed when the bubble burst, meaning the land's value did not go down to below 1 dollar.
  (4) When the bubble burst, the fellow with cash is the winner. The fellows having the land or extending loan to others are the losers. The asset could shrink or in worst case, they go bankrupt.
  (5) If there is another citizen D either holding a dollar or another piece of land but refrains from taking part in the game, he will neither win nor lose. But he will see the value of his money or land goes up and down like a see saw.
  (6) When the bubble was in the growing phase, everybody made money.
  (7) If you are smart and know that you are living in a growing bubble, it is worthwhile to borrow money (like A) and take part in the game. But you must know when you should change everything back to cash.
  cool As in the case of land, the above phenomenon applies to stocks as well.
  (9) The actual worth of land or stocks depends largely on psychology (or speculation) .
Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 9:41pm On Mar 03, 2009
Man, this is absenteeism in full regalia.
Where's everybody!!!
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 9:00am On Mar 04, 2009
whats going on people?
Are we all on holidays?

as for me, its basically cos ive been working from the clients place o.
work has been good and no unnecessary pressure from my boss like before.
My engagements in the neighbouring country is also giving me sleepless nights cos so much legal and strutural wahala just full table.

Diggler and Jericho
wassup with you people? grin
Jericho, what deals can we do 2geda na? nyways, my email is **
you guys can add me and we can discuss stuvvs

Debo n Brash abeg add me also
our carbon trading schitzo grin

email yanked off

Tollu
whts gud wiv you? buzz me so we can articulate ur next steps
Re: Welcome To My Office by diggler(m): 8:40pm On Mar 04, 2009
@ Tkb

the meltdown is really cooking shit up in my neck o d woods
Aint no time to say no time.

I added u both on Y! & FB tho i'm more on latter.(mostly evenings & weekends due to workplace restrictions)

@tollu
the absenteesim no be small o.

Hope ur choice is to stay back where u're @ till d big hit comes along.
Cos take it from me, the employment market (legit stuff i.e.) is wack right now.

But if u've got the mind for illegit like kidnapping, narco-logistics, oil-bunkering etc etc then this is ur season.

Cristalz where u @

jarus how far una don fling the motor?

Brashy, hows the 'other job'

please peeps keep up the hustle & know that in times like this, cash is King so save, save & keep saving.(wisely tho)
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 9:49am On Mar 05, 2009
diggler:

jarus how far una don fling the motor?

Yeap, the cars went yesterday. Yours sincerely got one to himself. Other staff in Head office and across our offices nationwide won others.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 10:32am On Mar 05, 2009
Yeap, the cars went yesterday. Yours sincerely got one to himself. Other staff in Head office and across our offices nationwide won others.
i knew u wanted the avensis, see ur life grin grin grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Mar 05, 2009
diggler:

Brashy, hows the 'other job'

Hey not bad!

Started on saturday and played full 90minutes, notched a goal too, so i am pleased about that!

Game on tuesday night got called off after 18minutes, as the rain lashed out continuously, waste of time travelling as it was an away game! sad angry

Training tonight, game on saturday, cant wait to put that shirt on again! grin

TKB

I didnt get your post, hit me again

Did i hear anything about carbon trading? tongue

Criz

Crizzle crizzle, wat it do ma?

Muki

Where you dey?

Jarus

U copped a ride and u didnt declare champagne? How rude! cheesy

Debosky

How naw?

busy?

Tollu

I am repping it here, i dont know about everyone else! cheesy

Jericho

How far?

Damiso

Warm up to your new manager, the advantages are immense! grin

Ajanlekoko

Stop chatting gibberish, you naughty spam bot! angry

Topic

On the office front, it has been hectic and i have spent most of the last three days out on the road

DEC Display Energy Certificate is in full swing, so we are getting sites ready across the Surrey, Oxfordshire, Milton Keynes and Lincolnshire areas!

On the back of a successful consultation and project management regarding the installation of Voltage Optimizers Nigeria need this badly across a few of our client's sites,

We have been able to quantify and justify predicted energy savings as well as improved performances,

We have had the go ahead to install a few more units across more sites, which is good news. I am proud of myself and happy for the company cheesy

I am having a real go and my superiors now have more faith in me despite only coming in on a graduate programme

Getting busier by the day, and i must admit, i may need to employ a PA to keep on top of my emails and paperworks Application welcomed from anyone grin

The energy and engineering world is robust, spontaneous and busy, and i am loving it
Re: Welcome To My Office by toyecoach(m): 1:14pm On Mar 05, 2009
Friends in the house,

are we concerned about economic meltdown,yes it is giving many people serious health
imbalance gong by number of clients i received every week trying to reassure and rediscover
self,in this group are senior executives of organizations and career/job seekers.so last week
I am in my village enjoying time with family and friends and celebrating my wife's birthday. Though it's a bit crowded , it's nice to be in familiar territory too!

I spent the weekend resting and listening to some of my favorite coaches and mentors (including a couple of new ones!) and being inspired, it will transform your business and help you take some of the steps you have been wanting to take but needed some tangible guidance to do so,

One of the most important things in our lives as coaches is the environment with which we surround ourselves. This includes everything from our office and its furnishings to our home, our car, our friends, our clients, our colleagues - as well as our dominant thoughts and beliefs! Lately I have been taking an inventory of my own life and looking as objectively as I can at the "want-to's" versus the "have-to's" in my life. And I am already beginning to eliminate the "have-to's" one thing at a time! This seemingly slight change in environment can make such a huge difference in how we feel about our lives. Suddenly we feel more in control, more open to Spirit, and more empowered as our personal boundaries are strengthened.

So my question to you this week is: how do you feel about your physical, mental, spiritual, emotional and social environments? What would you like to change? And how can you begin today?I will give you these tips;

"Top 10 Tips to Balancing Work and Personal Life"

In the Knowledge Age in which we live, it is easy to be consumed by work and forget our personal life. Read this for some tips for striking the right balance between your work.

Wishing you authentic success,

* Decide what is most important to you - long term - in your life. One exercise that can help bring this into focus is to write your eulogy - really! What would you want people to say about you when you are dead? Whatever that is, notice how much you're pursuing that quality or goal or cause in your life. If you aren't doing it now - or not as much as you want to - how could you begin pursuing it more?

* Create a vision for your ideal lifestyle. They say "if you don't know where you're going, any path will get you there." Unless you create a vision statement for your work and your personal life - just the way you want it to be - you won't know when you have arrived! You'll find yourself "striving but never arriving." So write out a descriptive statement of how you want your schedule to be, your work space, your home, your clients, your relationships, your body, everything in your life - just as though you were writing it for a movie producer. Then, get about the business of producing your life!

* When you're working, work; when you're playing, play. If every time you leave your office (even if it's in the spare bedroom!) you continue to think about work, leave your work cell phone on, or check email later in the evening, you are failing to mark boundaries between work and play. That means you don't get the full benefit of your "down" time, and you don't recharge the internal batteries that allow you to do what you do well. Dedicate work time to work and play fully when you're off work, you will have more energy and more joy this way.

* Avoid multitasking. I know, it's hard! But studies show that people are only 40 percent as productive when they do more than one thing at once than if they focus on one thing at a time. Give whatever you're doing - or whoever you're talking to (!) - your full attention, then move to the next task. Live intentionally, one task and segment at a time. The quality of your life will improve, you'll get more quality work done and you'll build quality relationships that flourish under the light of your undistracted focus.

let rest here,may be you can get me next week when i return to lagos,just PM statciantkb@yahoo.co.uk,
hey iwill
also be promoting a book on entreprenureship :THE TAO OF ENTREPRENURSHIP(You will discover insights and practical principles on such topics as desire, fear, staffing, vision, harmony, marketing, manifesting, learning, achievement, and much more – 52 lessons in all!) A book to survive the economic meltdown.
Re: Welcome To My Office by jericho: 1:25pm On Mar 05, 2009
@Jarus

I cannot bid. I'm the Secretary of the Asset Disposal Committee and therefore ineligible. There is conflict of interest. I have privilege information. I cannot be a player and the umpire. If I'm to bid I'll have have to declare this conflict of interest and excuse myself from the process, while it lasts. But I won't do that!

Yeap, the cars went yesterday. Yours sincerely got one to himself. Other staff in Head office and across our offices nationwide won others

Guy now what do u want us to believe?
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 1:35pm On Mar 05, 2009
[
MrCrackles:

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
Ajanlekoko

Stop chatting gibberish, you naughty spam bot! angry

[b]

Sorry to disappoint you.
I have been called many things, spam bot is a new one.
I forgive you tho.

to convince you further, i'll discuss my day,

These days I seem to be too busy to recollect what I do on a daily basis anymore. It's more of meetings and supervisory work, not to mention facebooking and linkedin-ing, a bit of nairalanding, and general chilling. I must be closer to retirement than I thought!

On a serious note, these days my job is a bit more administrative than operational, cos I have a fairly large team to work with. However, I do have one new and rather interesting project which I am working on directly, which is working with OEMs (Microsoft, Cisco, HP, Nokia Siemens, and even Huawei)to develop a proposition on unified communications, targeted at enterprise clients. Right now it is research in progress, so I'm busy evaluating vendor capabilities, and also looking at a possible wildcard option of a bespoke open-source version that we will build and own (ha, I'd like to see that happen in Naija!). In less technical jargons, it means we want you to lose all your wired comms infrastructure, and we will make all your staff reachable all the time, either via voice or video call, email, IM, etc, from your mobile only. It's going to be a tough sell, especially for you bank peeps, cos it means your IT or General Services people will eventually 'chop' less on infrastructure deployment, and we will save your organizations a lot more money. Nobody likes that, really.

Also, like I said earlier, these days I seem to move from meeting to meeting till closing time, stopping in between to review documents and construct presentations on a wide range of job-related topics. I just got to know that Monday is a public holiday, so I'm hoping some smart alec won't go and schedule an all day workshop. God dey sha.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 2:08pm On Mar 05, 2009
Hurray Ajanlekoko is now coming to our level grin grin
how work?

Brash
i gave my email here for you and Debo to add me but you guys were MIA for days
nyways, ill watch for when youre online then give it to you.

as for today
work in progress smiley
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 5:37pm On Mar 05, 2009
jericho:

@Jarus
Guy now what do u want us to believe?

I discussed/disclosed the conflict of interest with the committee Chairman, ED - Finance, and he advised that I can't bid in my name, but can bid in another staff's name. I bidded for two, won one and lost one.

Omo, I no 'engineer' am o. I was not even favoured being a committee member, but I was able to use my experience to bid a price that stood very high chance of winning. Yet, I lost in one, even for the one I won, I only beat the second person by 10K, nearly lost that one too.

tkb417:

i knew u wanted the avensis, see ur life grin grin grin
The Avensis was actually later withdrawn. This economic meltdown is telling on us too. 5 cars, including the Avensis, were held back from disposal. They were given to some staff as function cars, instead of buying brand new ones for them and some converted to pool cars. 14 Honda Civics eventually went.

Na 2004 Honda Civic your guy got himself o. . . . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 6:23pm On Mar 05, 2009
Today has actually been a very busy day for me. Analysing the results of the auction exercise we had yesterday, and sending mails out to winners and losers.
Thank God,I did not have any major issue with February month-end deliverables. The new rule in the department is that all the sub-ledgers must be ready latest by 5th of next month. I delivered mine yesterday, 4th, unlike last month when all the accounts in my charge were not ready until 12th, no thanks to NL and FB then.

Having rendered my most important deliverables yesterday, I was able to focus on Asset Disposal activities today. I was busy attending to bidders. The ones that did not win were thronging to my desk, to collect their cheques(10% deposit). I got several calls from Kaduna too.

The auditors also did not leave me alone today. We argued and argued like there is tomorrow. We dribbled ourselves.

I also had a brief meeting with the Group Finance team, where the Group Finance Manager highlighted the oustanding things they needed from me with regards to their year-end(2008) accounts(I handle Fixed Assets for group, in addition to my subsidiary). This is what will keep me extremely busy for teh next one week. I've got a lot to clean up with them.

I've got to close now. See y'all tomorrow, by God's grace!
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 06, 2009
a contractor friend of mine hit me up with a hotel project.(PP) 3 floors, looking to be high grade, i've started designing. man, its been long since i had to do a challenging design. i've been on the phone with the guy throwing queriesa about furniture layouts, providing fire alarms, arguing over the merits/demerits of centralized water heating, provision of a UPS system, what sort of security(fire alarm, cctv, access control etal will be required) we haven't even got to talking about my fee yet. it's good to be cracking my brain again cheesy. plus, assuming it all works out the extra dough will def come in handy. this year was looking to be a dry yera, unlike last yera, when i got started on sa propoesd LPG plant. .(that project ois on hold now, but at least i got some good up front cash cheesy).anyway, lets see how it goes. hopefully nothing will come up on this three day weekend, so i'll be able to do complete my design, drawings and boqs.ciao
Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 11:01am On Mar 07, 2009
Diggler
Man, urs truly made a seemingly not so smart decision. I didn't stay back.

Good to see that u guys are coming back on board gradually.

Jarus

Na wayo u do o!!!

MrCrackles
I beg to apply to ur humble institution as ur P.A tongue
I'm cranky 24/7.

Oyb
Sounds like you've got ur hands full. E ku igbadun

Hello TKB, Jericho, Ajanlekoko  wink , Everybody.

Where's Cristalz, Mukina, lawyer
Re: Welcome To My Office by coi: 4:58pm On Mar 08, 2009
helo guys.
i just cme across this forum. very interesting. thanks for all ur contributions.
can someone help me with the structure of construction/engineering companies. im from a financial sector and more familiar with what obtains there eg. supervisor-ABE-BE-ABO-BO-AM-DM, etc.
thank u.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Cristalz(f): 11:32am On Mar 09, 2009
Hey guys grin

Howz everyone's work coming along? Glad to see we're still gisting.

Don't mind me o, being absent this long. NYSC is over (yeah, was among those that passed out Feb 26th) and I'm on a much needed break from that bank. Halleluyah!! Lol grin
   I'm getting retained though, so been attending series of interviews up and down. Got one more sometime this week.  .  .that should be the last one, I hope. I'm tired of chatting with men/women that ask booby-trapped questions.
   I just felt like escaping from everything work-related for a while so I shut down grin Still not ready to reboot, loving my holiday too much, but I'll be coming to laugh at y'allz stories regularly.
   My phones still keep buzzing, even though my customers know I'm not around for now. I think they miss me grin

@Brash

Come and answer this coi person o.  .  .shey you're our resident Engineer. Ajanlekoko's an Engineer too, right?

@Ajanlekoko

Now I'm officially welcoming you on board wink Keep posting your gist o, I've learned something from what you posted there already.

@tollu

You weren't retained or you chose not to stay back? Come and work in my bank jor grin I'll give you your first 5 million,lol.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 4:06pm On Mar 09, 2009
Hi All,
It's good to be chilling at home for a change on a Monday! Though your guy sabi chill for work sef, any good day,
LOL
Many thanks to Cristalz and others for welcoming AjanleKoko.
I have to warn you though. Una get to lighten up or I go soon offend una with my yabs.

@Tollu,
I have to say, you try o. Opting out of a possible job opportunity at this current period could not have been easy. Except you just dey wind us, and you get Shell, Mobil and Chevron lined up or something. Or you be pickin of one of the people wey dey wreck naija, in which case your pops or moms probably own 10% of my company. Reminds me of one Otudeko's niece I was toasting many a year back. She just had to keep introducing me to her peeps as a guy who works in her uncle's company. I guess that was just so I knew the score as per nothing dey for floor.
You for just chill for the place for now, if for nothing else, free Internet.

@tkb,
I no trust these runs. You sure say no be yahoo mails you dey push go the other neighbouring country? People still dey invest moni for this obodo world, with all the alarms wey dey tear? Keep on keeping on sha, nothing do you, for now at least.

@oyb,
You sound like a construction engineer. I for say make you come put hand for my personal property, as I need some engineering advice, but this LPG plant wey you dey call dey scare me. Make your bill no come pass the total cost of the house + land.

To jarus and all the rest dem, enjoy the holiday and the upcoming week!

Adios amigos!
Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 4:43pm On Mar 09, 2009
Hello guys,

Criz
I chose not to stay back jo, I'm a risk taker tongue
Didnt like the job

Ajanlekoko
For where? My papa na honest worker o. Hin no even near the national cake
Except 4 one or two govt. contract

Enjoy ur hols y'all

I'm currently writing a test but there's a slight lull in activities.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2009
I was in office almost throughout yesterday, and I've still got loads and loads of works today.
Anyway, I'm making headway. The audit of my accounts in my entity has almost ended. I was able to go far with the auditors today. Meanwhile, another round is just starting as the Auditors move to group where I also handle their assets accounts. I have been trying to prepare schedules to submit to auditors on group accounts, and that's basically what has kept me busy since yesterday.

This is in addition to the normal request for urgent information on assets I get almost every hour.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 7:11pm On Mar 10, 2009
Hey guys,
Hope you had a pleasant day.
Mine was spent as usual in and out of meetings, reviewing documents, etc, etc.
There is however an interesting spin which always occurs at some point in my day, and I would like to post about. I'll call it the CountryMan analytics. I bet in your own industry, you get a lot of that as well, this is more for the guys with a bit of work experience and discernment. There are always some 'sense men' walking around in the company, selling all manner of theories to get attention from Management. These theories are borne out of a general grandstanding bent,or even plain ignorance. Believe it or not, telecoms people are not all engineering boffins. The real boffins usually work in Ericsson or Huawei and are usually not Nigerian. Most Nigerians are high sense men who stroll around all day contributing absolutely nothing to the grind, irrespective of where they work. We even have a name for people like that in my department. We call them 'CountryMen' or 'Fisters'.

In telecoms we usually have these kind of conversations, especially for people who work in marketing like me.

'There seems to be scarcity of N500 recharge card in town. My driver walked all over VI today and couldn't get to buy. We have a crisis on our hands!'
That's a typical CountryMan Analysis. Sales figures are showing that 500 RCV is hale and hearty, and people dey buy. Should we go into panic mode because of your driver?

Another could be like this:
'In the whole world, Blackberry has never been sold to anybody more than corporate customers. We have no business selling Blackberry to anybody other than business users!'.
CountryMan analysis number 2. Actually Orange UK recently launched a special Blackberry offering targeted at the youth market. Youth sef dey read emails na, shuo.

The one I heard today was the real kisser. It went something like this:
'I have a stunning idea for a promo. We will give double the airtime value of recharge to every 500th person that recharges', or something of that nature.
Na Dan Foster be this? was my reaction. You know, sort of like the 10th caller, that kain thing.
Usually to get rid of those people, just ask for a business case and ROI model, and they are gone.

Then we have the external CountryMen. The 'ideas men' who always have an idea that they want to sell to the network.
I got a phone call, I think 2007 December from one such fella. Conversation went like this:

CountryMan: 'Hello, I have an idea that is guaranteed to deliver at least 1bn to your network in terms of sales this year'.
Me: 'Idea ke? Sorry sir, we don't pay for ideas. We only pay for solutions. Do you have a solution you want to discuss?'
CountryMan: 'Idea, solution, it's all the same jare, ' and proceeds to discuss his idea with me. It's the same one that approximately 3,000 people have discussed with me since the beginning of the year, and is utter nonsense. I politely turn him down and quote our disclaimer policy, i.e. don't sue us if you feel we have compromised your idea by any new product we launch. He goes ballistic.

The good thing is that nowadays I have people I can deflect this type of CountryMan to, complete with a standard painless 'discharge' script.
I know most people will say I'm not open to new ideas from the man on the street. But I can tell you, I've been doing this for 6 years, and I can tell you the man on the street in Nigeria is mostly really dumb. They're usually really feisty with enough gumption, but, sadly, that's where it ends.

Peace.
Re: Welcome To My Office by diggler(m): 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2009
Hi Y'all

For the first time, the first working day of the week was good.

I now bliv in the maxim Work Hard, Play Hard, Rest Harder, I worked my butt off on Friday& part of Saturday, Played real hard part of Saturday & all day Sunday (went to church tho & prayed real hard too), then ate & slept most of Monday.

9ja shuld adopt Buddhism as well cos i think the dalai lamas birthday is next Monday. grin  grin  grin

As for today, i had a very good outting & made a lotta a money for my Organisation.

High point of the day however was this pretty i met today, She came with a prospect to finalise an account opening & omo boy was smitten from the start. talk about Lust at first sight. (this honey was more than hot she was sizzling)
I let loose the Don Juan on the chica & sure enuf she bought & consumed 2 trailer loads of my special 'tripcin' & placed orders for more.

Long story short, we exchanged digits & hopefully this might just be my ticket outta love-vendor city. a bruv needs to settle down amidst dem trying times (plus playing is kinda expensive these days)

Criz

Congrats on ur passing out.
I'm bliving ur performance & achievements in the last year will do the talking for u.
So lets take the Job as a done deal.
Hope we see more of u as u relate the Job search experiences wif us.

Tollu

For me, the Job search thingy never stops till the day i become da Boss -preferably of my own juicy/challenging hustle-like Jericho (not so sure now) &  Lawyer.
So as u search keep ur eyes open for sweet rackets (no matter how small) out there unless u aint the entrepreneurial type.

TKB

where u @ dude?

Brashy

How wuz the weekend game?
keep up d good work

Jarus

Always knew bean counting was a very tedious & tricky affair
I bliv u know ur onions so more grease.

Besides, we need to hook up off NL cos i got some ideas i wanna run by u.

laterz peeps let me go dream about that angel i met today

peace
Re: Welcome To My Office by MrCrackles(m): 10:40am On Mar 14, 2009
tollu:

MrCrackles
I beg to apply to ur humble institution as ur P.A tongue
I'm cranky 24/7.

Brilliant
You are hired!
Contractual terms and conditions as well as assignment details and full job description will be discusses shortly
grin tongue
Re: Welcome To My Office by MrCrackles(m): 11:26am On Mar 14, 2009
Topic
Last two weeks has been crazy maaaaan!!!!
A lot of tension around. especially my department
Had a ticking off from the office manager for a minor offence at work
Basically cracked a joke with a colleague and one of the married woman around didnt like it! embarassed
But it is all part of life experience so i have learnt from it, everyone around you could be laughing and singing your praises, but they go behind and knife u
Petty issue which should have been dealt with by my line manager within the team was spurned and instead got reported to the divisional office manager
I am a bit miffed to be honest because it wasnt a swear word or a derogatory or discriminatory comment, so i felt hard done by!
Good thing is, it was only a verbal warning for me and my mate, my job continues and my aim as well as my smarter objectives remains intact cheesy grin

I was meant to have my PPA/PPD this week, but couldnt, my line manager has been so stressed, and there is a bit of an uncertainty about him staying on
I may now be having this with a new manager! I HOPE NOT!!
I have a feeling that dude is about to ship out, the young guys in my team think so, and we feel he may have told senior and older staff members! sad
I will be sad if he leaves, laid back dude who lets you do your own job without breathing down your neck!
WTF is going in Mouchel? WHAT NEXT?
We got projects/contracts rolling, clients are happy, no redundancies planned and the general office relationship is kosher, so what could be the problem?
DAMN!!!

On the other job side, i am really happy, back to stunning form, name on the starting teamsheet regularly and fitter than ever! cheesy
Game this afternoon, getting ready to ship out to the stadium
Another game Tuesday night, so it is really busy outhere on the football side, but i am on top of it!

Crizzle, Tollu, Diggler, TKB, Jarus, Jericho and everyone else, i salute oo!
Re: Welcome To My Office by MrCrackles(m): 11:32am On Mar 14, 2009
coi:

helo guys.
i just cme across this forum. very interesting. thanks for all ur contributions.
can someone help me with the structure of construction/engineering companies. im from a financial sector and more familiar with what obtains there eg. supervisor-ABE-BE-ABO-BO-AM-DM, etc.
thank u.

Hey

Structure, in terms of what? Management and staff hierarchy or what?

Structures varies across the sector though but clarify your query further and hopefully i can help
! cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 4:29pm On Mar 14, 2009
LOL Diggler,

Playing has always been expensive. So any update with the chica? wink
Thanks for the advice, keeping me eyes peeled.

Hmmm Crackles
I wonder what kind of joke could have caused that kain yawa. Musta been quite expensive
Re: Welcome To My Office by MrCrackles(m): 6:11pm On Mar 16, 2009
tollu:

Hmmm Crackles
I wonder what kind of joke could have caused that kain yawa. Musta been quite expensive

I jokingly said "I AM SWEATING LIKE A RAPIST"

And one of the older woman around the team didnt find it funny!

Oh well, life lessons
!!!! grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 8:59pm On Mar 16, 2009
Last two weeks has been crazy maaaaan!!!!
A lot of tension around. especially my department
Had a ticking off from the office manager for a minor offence at work
Basically cracked a joke with a colleague and one of the married woman around didnt like it! Embarrassed
But it is all part of life experience so i have learnt from it, everyone around you could be laughing and singing your praises, but they go behind and knife u
Petty issue which should have been dealt with by my line manager within the team was spurned and instead got reported to the divisional office manager
I am a bit miffed to be honest because it wasnt a swear word or a derogatory or discriminatory comment, so i felt hard done by!
Good thing is, it was only a verbal warning for me and my mate, my job continues and my aim as well as my smarter objectives remains int
Crackles, I thought it's only on NL that you crack rib-breaking jokes. Your joke almost got you into yawa grin grin grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 3:47pm On Mar 18, 2009
MrCrackles:

I jokingly said "I AM SWEATING LIKE A RAPIST"

And one of the older woman around the team didnt find it funny!

Oh well, life lessons
!!!! grin

LOL Crackles, sweating like a rapist? grin
You musta been drunk. How do rapists sweat?
LOL

Well, I don't think that's too distasteful. That woman be aproko.
Re: Welcome To My Office by contactuzo(m): 3:16am On Mar 19, 2009
hello guys,
i feel like a stranger around here,
so many new comers, and our thread is now 10 web pages long!!!!
ive tried catching up but ive still got a long way to go,
oh!,by d way, ive read with amusement ajanlekoko's entry and difficult acceptance by u guys, (so funny)

my absence was work related, audit, involving a lot of travel,
and of course i culdnt use my client's internet access
i'll stil be off again very soon,
this is the most busy period because most companies year ends are 31 December,
and they all want their accounts signed ASAP,

@tkb, my oga, ur boy is still loyal,
@cristalz,mukina,tollu et al, nice to see evryone is doing great,
even if u guys dont see me around often for a while, im there with u in spirit,
keep the flag flying

ahoy!
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2009
@Contactuzo,
Hope you are not one of the PWC guys distuirbing me here. . . . .lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / COREN Registration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.