Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts (24935 Views)

Time To End The Bad Blood Between The Yorubas And Ndigbo - Femi Aribisala / Time To End The Bad Blood Between The Yorubas And Ndigbo - Femi Aribisala / The Pharaohs Of Ika And Ovie Agas Misled Okowa With Demonic Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by laudate: 6:20pm On Mar 17, 2015
GenIgrigi:

**grins** Bayo, Bonny and other oil-producing were under his administrative purview in the East as Military Governor. They were his responsibility. If they were handed to the feds without a fight he may be accused of sacrificing them.Humans are insatiable. Whichever way i am happy for Nigeria of today. fulani/hausa man and their yoruba slaves don show dem pepper. They know better now. **LOLS**

"He may be accused of sacrificing them" ...by who?? shocked Too many revisionists, here... sad
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by laudate: 6:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
johnny1980:
This is the original picture not the doctored one you even have showing political locations and territories.

Next time when you to pass a fact. Be sure to verify the details before talking

Come here and collect a royal handshake for this piece of investigative work! cool

When people cannot support their position with facts and figures, they resort to propaganda and falsehood. Thank you for exposing them, jare...

Na you, biko!

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by laudate: 7:28pm On Mar 17, 2015
tonychristopher:

The names of the days of the Yoruba week are as follows:--

1. Ako-ojo. First day.2. Ojo-awo. Day of the Secret (sacred to Ifa).3. Ojo-Ogun. Ogun's Day.4. Ojo-Shango. Shango's Day.5. Ojo-Obatala. Obatala's Day.

shame on you must say...next time please do your research well before you contact me .....

have a blessed day

Bros, na you suppose do your research well oh...these days of the week you cited here, are incorrect. shocked

For those of us that attended secondary schools in the South-West, the study of Yoruba Language was compulsory, irrespective of the state or region that you hailed from. I tried to dodge those classes in junior secondary school by letting them know that my native tongue was not Yoruba...but I didn't succeed. cry

Anyway, this is what we were taught: Ojo-Aiku (Sunday), Ojo-Aje (Monday), Ojo-Ishegun (Tuesday), Ojo-Riru (Wednesday),Ojo-Bo/Alamisi (Thursday), Ojo-Eti (Friday) and Ojo-Abameta (Saturday).

I don't know where you got your own days from oh..... undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by knowledgeable: 7:51pm On Mar 17, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Taxation is a social contract in the traditional Yoruba society. Yoruba Obas were paid tax before the whiteman got here and we have not stopped observing that social contract and custom on account of our adopted Western ideals.

In contrast, taxation is a burden on Ibo society. So when you subject the two tribes to live under the same tax regime, Yorubas will take it in stride but Ibos will rebel. You then sell it to the rebels as a choice. Those who accept it are rewarded, those who reject it are penalized. Gradually you shave away at the rebellion and you end up with loyalists more commited to your cause than they care for their own root.

We did not start this today....we have centuries old institutions steeped in social engineering, you just happen to be our newest recruits. grin

Go and review complaints about toll gates on Lagos roads and see who the rebels are. Ibos!

Replay Ladipo market shut down. Replay the seal-off of Orji Uzor Kalu mansion. Cast them in the foreground of what you have learnt from me on this post.

A Yorubaman, an ex Governor at that, would take insult to being shut out of his mansion and would have sold tbe property and take his loss and vamooze. The rewards in Yorubaland have been roped around the Iboman's neck....he is eternally tethered, even if he wants to leave he can't.

Poor beings...messing with Yorubas!

Mr mayor, pls, this is an economic system analysis of a state, and therefore should be analyze using economic concepts and definitions. When you draw in a cultural angle that doesn't balance out the logic to these economic analysis, you may end up with stagnation, brown roof city like Ibadan, Oshogbo, Ogbomosho and etc, while on the other side, the likes of Enugu, Awka, Owerri and etc thrive. Just think about it.

4 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by knowledgeable: 7:59pm On Mar 17, 2015
MayorofLagos:

I have corrected you repeatedly that,

1. Iboland was the property of a British trading company and you were never a member of Southern Nigeria until the colonialists paid some cash to purchase your land.

2. The Crown entered into treaty with the Kings of each and every Kingdom that formed Southern Nigeria, except Iboland, which as I said above was a purchase.

This means the Kingdoms in these treaties were already sovereigns.

Stop rewriting the history of Southern Nigeria. Common amongst the territories of Southern Nigeria is a treaty signed with British Crown promising trade and security.

From your analysis, Igbo land were purchased by the British crown from other southern kings abi?.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by cheruv: 9:41pm On Mar 17, 2015
laudate:

Bros, na you suppose do your research well oh...these days of the week you cited here, are incorrect. shocked

For those of us that attended secondary schools in the South-West, the study of Yoruba Language was compulsory, irrespective of the state or region that you hailed from. I tried to dodge those classes in junior secondary school by letting them know that my native tongue was not Yoruba...but I didn't succeed. cry

Anyway, this is what we were taught: Ojo-Aiku (Sunday), Ojo-Aje (Monday), Ojo-Ishegun (Tuesday), Ojo-Riru (Wednesday),Ojo-Bo/Alamisi (Thursday), Ojo-Eti (Friday) and Ojo-Abameta (Saturday).

this yoloba week days you typed here have confirmed the suspicions I had concerning the Igbo days of the week on my system.
anyway..
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 6:07am On Mar 18, 2015
Oga I did not say days of the week of gregorian cakender I meant traditional market days before the British came

Bros do the research

laudate:

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by MayorofLagos(m): 6:19am On Mar 18, 2015
tonychristopher:
Oga I did not say days of the week of gregorian cakender I meant traditional market days before the British came

Bros do the research

tony,
laudate reproduced the social calendar days.

What you produced earlier and he is trying to correct are the worship days...or holy days for worship of ancestral deities.

Neither one is wrong but they are exclusive of one another.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by MayorofLagos(m): 6:24am On Mar 18, 2015
knowledgeable:

From your analysis, Igbo land were purchased by the British crown from other southern kings abi?.

angry angry angry angry
are you talking to me
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 6:48am On Mar 18, 2015
MayorofLagos:

tony,
laudate reproduced the social calendar days.

What you produced earlier and he is trying to correct are the worship days...or holy days for worship of ancestral deities.

Neither one is wrong but they are exclusive of one another.

What then are days of the week before Tue European brought gregorian calender

That was what I produced

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by MayorofLagos(m): 7:15am On Mar 18, 2015
tonychristopher:

What then are days of the week before Tue European brought gregorian calender

That was what I produced

these calendars are still in use in Yorubaland.
Ifa is the covenant and ties all deities of Yorubaland together.

The calendar you produced is for Yoruba divinity containing the sacred days for each deity. The adherents of Ogun for instance go to altar and must observe his creed on Ogun day.

Laudates calendar is the one for odinary everyday use by the hustling society.

Neither of you is wrong but its like an argument between the astrological calendar and the gregorian calendar. Which one is wrong? Neither one is....hbut their application differs.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 4:30pm On Mar 19, 2015
GenIgrigi:

**grins** This is a NASA picture from space taken at night depicting industrialization/economic activity in Nigeria. Igboland was shown to have more economic activities/industrialization than yorubaland and north put together. What have you guys been doing with federal help for more than 40years?. Keep deluding yourselves while Igbos profiteer from your lazy beggarly nature. you guys are cursed.I'm happy you feel you are the winner.It keeps the agenda alive **LOLS**

lol

never argue with yoruba, allow him to assume all the first and all thing..that will keep their jealousy in check

why dis you show him this map

3 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by GboyegaD(m): 7:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
OneNaira6:

Please, I just sent you a PM. I look forward to your response asap.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Abagworo(m): 8:06pm On Mar 19, 2015
rexbuton:
So historically, the Igbos have no claim whatsover to Ika..
there are striking similarities between Agbor words and bini's. for instance, ihogbe, ihaekpen quarters are extremely similar to ihogbe and ehaekpen quarters in present day benin.. The argument that the Ika language is similar to the Igbos is partially due to trade, migrations and cultural mixing considering the proximity of the areas . In fact, i believe that language is not a sufficient and fool-proof index to ascertain ethnic origin or cultural homogeneity/heterogeneity

I have tried to use the bolded factors but they seem null to me. Agbor original immigrants already spoke Igbo mixed with little Bini from time immemorial. My conclusion is that Igbos lived in ancient Bini and at a time had issues that made them leave Benin alongside some Edo speakers who were royal servants and not Princes as usually claimed.

Igbo and Bini share some words like Ogbe, Ise and a lot of others. Igbos use the word Idu for Benin related things and Idu word occurs deep into Eastern Igboland and even Idomaland.

In conclusion Ika leans more towards modern Igbo in language and ancient Bini in culture. However there exists evidence of the 2 in both Ika language and culture
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Abagworo(m): 8:19pm On Mar 19, 2015
Igbanke is in Edo State but still has not lost the Igbo trait and shares no boundary with Igbo community as claimed by OP. Igbos never conquered anyone to establish empires but why is Eze in Igbanke? Okenye ala, okenye ulor, Dike, Ndichie, Odiowere? Enogie is Benin rooted. I still believe tge reason for the inability to make a conclusive analysis on Ika is as a result of the general belief that Igbos must come from the Eastern direction.

Igbanke is of the Ika tribe in Africa which constitutes Agbor, and
up to the border towns of Alifekede down to Umunede. According
to Omoregbe Nwanwene,
“six villages constitute Igbanke: these are Umoluah, Igbontor,
Idumodin, Ake, Olije, and Ottah – all migrated from different
places.”
It is also the case that the foundation of history of Igbanke
indicates poignantly that for many centuries after the different
villages of Igbanke had been founded, the Igbankes enjoyed
absolute independence because they were not vassals of any
other people. The name Igbanke arose from a combination of (the
names of) two villages: Igbontor and Ake, after a thorough
historical supremacy was established.
The government of Igbanke is presided over by the Eze, Enogies,
Odioweres, Ndichies, Dikens, Okhiolors, and Okhialis. Each of
these heads has his jurisdiction The jurisdiction could be stratified
into three: The family level, the clan or hamlets and the villages. At
the family level, the Okhilor (he is usually the oldest man in the
family) presides. At the village quarters, the Okhilor is the head,
while the Eze rules over the entire village.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by OneNaira6: 7:15am On Mar 20, 2015
GboyegaD:

Please, I just sent you a PM. I look forward to your response asap.

And what is your message about? The email address I used to sign up for this account I've long stopped using it and I don't recall the password. Whatever it is you want to say to me, just reply it here.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by 867Y5309(m): 8:42am On Mar 20, 2015
Abagworo:

I have tried to use the bolded factors but they seem null to me. Agbor original immigrants already spoke Igbo mixed with little Bini from time immemorial. My conclusion is that Igbos lived in ancient Bini and at a time had issues that made them leave Benin alongside some Edo speakers who were royal servants and not Princes as usually claimed.

Igbo and Bini share some words like Ogbe, Ise and a lot of others. Igbos use the word Idu for Benin related things and Idu word occurs deep into Eastern Igboland and even Idomaland.

In conclusion Ika leans more towards modern Igbo in language and ancient Bini in culture. However there exists evidence of the 2 in both Ika language and culture
There is some sense in what you have said
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by rexbuton: 8:53am On Mar 20, 2015
EZE CHIME by Phillip Emeagwali
I am a Yoruba by birth (born in Akure, western region) and Igbo by heritage. As a native Onitsha Igbo, I trace my ancestry to Eze Chima, a prince who rebelled against the Benin royal dynasty and emigrated from the kingdom. Other Igbos that trace their lineage to Eze Chima include Onicha-Ukwu, Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, Obior, Issele-Ukwu, Issele-Mkpima, Issele-Azagba, Ezi, Abeh and Obamkpa.

Native Onitshans speak a dialect of the Igbo language with several Benin/Yoruba words such as "Obi" (of Onitsha) and "Oba" (of Benin). In fact, the word Onitsha (Onicha) is a corruption of the god "Orisha." The bini name for River Niger is Ohinmwin. The Onicha Igbo call it "Orinmili." In a few years, we will have DNA tests that proves (or disproves) the Onitsha-Benin-Yoruba connection.

In fact, a lost dialect of the Yoruba language, called Olukwumu, is spoken in Brazil and in a few Igbo communities named Anioma, Idumu-Ogu, Ubulubu, Ugboba, Ugbodu, and Ukwunzu (M. A. Onwuejeogwu, 1987 Ahiajoku Lecture). The absence Olukwumu in core Yoruba land proves that these communities are the Lost Yoruba Tribe that were fleeing from slave raiders.

Let's look at the timeline.

In the 1560s: Eze Chima and his descendants left Benin. As many as one in four Igbo-speaking people are the descendants of people that emigrated from Benin Kingdom.

In the 1560s: The Benin Kingdom produced its first powerful Oba, named Esigie. All Obas derived their wealth, power and mystique from slave trading.

In the 1560s: John Hawkins took the first African slaves from The Slave Coast to Haiti.

What was then called the Slave Coast was later renamed Benin Kingdom, Nigeria, Gold Coast and Ghana. The word "Onitsha" is a corruption of the word "Orisha." The religion Orisha is practiced among Yorubas and Haitians.

Just as we shortened the name "United States of America" to United States or America, similarly the name "Orisha Edo" was corrupted to "Onitsha Ado" and then shortened to "Onitsha." The proof is that the web site for Onitshans is not onitsha.com: it is onitshaado.com.

People did not travel far in the olden days. In fact, three of my four grandparents never travelled more than ten miles from the place they were born. Therefore, it is not possible for Eze Chima to travel 200 miles through the rain forest to Benin and then return homeward in his lifetime.

It will require an entire book to expound on the Onitsha-Igbo-Yoruba-Edo connection. In the future, I will provide details that prove that as much as one in four Ndi Igbo were descendants of refugees that were fleeing slave raiders. Igbo elders have a saying that "when you see a lizard running in the daytime you know that something is after its life." The mass migration that forced Onitsha people to resettle in the east bank of the River Niger was a result of their flight from the Oba of Benin and his slave raiders.

Kene ezi na ulo gi
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by rexbuton: 8:56am On Mar 20, 2015
EMEAGWALI REPLIES:

First, the Onitsha version of the Igbo language is distinct: it still contains numerous words from the Yoruba, Edo and Igalla languages. In 1967, I was told that the oldest man in Onitsha could speak "old Onitsha language" which none could understand.

Again, the Yorubas/Edos immigrated in the mid-1500s, as they fled the slave raiders. The Igbos and Igallas traders immigrated circa 200 years ago. Today, 95 percent of Onitshans were not even born near Onitsha. Hence, only the descendants of the old Onicha immigrants known as Ume Eze Chima could aspire to become the Obi of Onitsha.

The argument that "Chima" is an Igbo name is not sufficient proof that Eze Chima is Igbo. Please remember that Chima's contemporaries include Cristóbal Colón, the Spanish explorer that was renamed "Cristoforo Colombo" by Italians and "Christopher Columbus" by Anglo-Saxons. Spanish speakers often insist on calling me the more familiar "Felipe" or Spanish for "Philip." Since words such as Chima, Onitsha and Ado were not written down, they are certainly corruptions of Edo/Yoruba words.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 20, 2015
^ I have my own theories about the origins of the name (and the person) of Chime, and I think the occurrence of 'Ado' in Anioma is interesting, but 'Onitsha' is not a corruption of 'Orisha' or any Yoruba or Edo word.

Emeagwali's cultural pieces always come across as strange. He should probably stick to what he knows.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by ElekeNtioba: 4:14pm On Mar 24, 2015
MayorofLagos:
@op,
very informative piece, good job!

Look, let me tell you something....there are two ways to lock down Ibo's ego and overkill ambition.

First lets take a psychoanalytic look at Ibo.

1. He is not gifted in self reflection and restraint and thus is led foremost by his impulse to act, he only thinks afterwards, by which time relationships that deserve to be cherished and managed is damaged and ruined.

2. He is developmentally challenged in aspects of social order and ascent.

So how do you deal with him?

Two ways.

1. You can do what the Hausas do to him in North....which is to confront him physically and subjugate him to a position of "The Victim"! This is a direct class warfare and in the end Ibo accepts the Hausa as a upper class and submits himself to fate dictated by his oppressor. In other words, Ibo sees himself as "The Victim!

2. You can do what the Yorubas do to him in West....that is, give him access to what he wants and make it rewarding, then rope it around him in a way that detachment is almost impossible. In that aspect, the one who holds key to the reward also control the behavior of the seeker. In this end, the Yorubas created a labor class that is highly enriched and from whom it derives its own enrichment effortlessly. In this relationship, Ibo has come to recognize Yorubaland as their milk and honey and are so tightly attached to it that they have surrendered their fate and future to Yorubaland and begin to call it their own. Ibos have thus accepted Yorubas as the ruling class and thus always beg them to be accepted for inclusion in the administration.

Anytime the government try to industrialize and develop Iboland Yoruba leaders, same one that call themselves Ibo friends, go behind and kill the project. If Iboland develop, Yoruba policy to have a labor class in Yorubaland will be defeated as Ibos return home....therefore Yorubas develop Yorubaland and tell Ibo to come to West and use it...you dont need one in East.

So where does this put the Ika people?

First, you are claiming you are not Ibo but you continue to name your children Ikechukwu, Nnaji, Emeka, Iheneacho, Ifeanyi, ....if you come to Yorubaland and say " I am Ifeanyi" from Ika and Im not Ibo, how do you expect me to believe you?

Until you dissociate your social identity from Ibo...name, language, dressing, customs, ....you remain Ibo, I dont care if you are from Oshogbo!

very idiotic reasoning and chronic delusion.

1. The so-called violence is a tussle between hausa and northern minorities with igbos cught in the middle. Igbos have never had designs on the north polity. Some of d most prominent Igbos leaders born in d north Including Nnamdi Azikiwe have alwys come back to east to seek office. Hausa as upper class Id dont know wat country u hav been living in since bt d avergae Igbo man never thinks highly of an hausa.

I have interacted with some notable Hausa/Fulani personalities and i've found dat dat d Igbos are only group in Nigeria they fear and respect. Many of their policymakers still consider yorubaland as an extension of the Sokoto caliphate. If you think we take dem as upper class come to the east and ask an hausa man what he thinks.

2. Labour class for Yorubas Lool Do u even know how ridiculous you sound. There are many jobless and idle yoruba youth in the southwest and igbos are nw ur labour class. The riches Igbos make go to taking care of their families if u think it even tricles down to d poor yoruba family...have a rethink. Their taxes go to a few persons in govt who embezzle it....it never really benefits d average yoruba. I have been priviledge to visit d nook and cranies of most areas in LAGOS AND i can authoritatively tell u dat d standard of living of Igbos is FAR better than yoruba.

U pple think d reason Igbos flock to Lagos is because S'East is undeveloped. Let me tell u d reason.....Igboland geographically cannot contain all Igbos. So there is bound to be high emigration rates. Dont flatter urselfwith d notion dat Igbos are coming to S'west....Equitorial Guinea, Gabon has a sizable Igbo population. Infact the Igbo language has been recognized as a key language in E'Guinea cos of the number of pple using it in their country.
Secondly, Igboland is competitive. As d leaders of informal trade in d west african coast, Igbos are bound to look for more opportunities for business. The bigger the pouplation of their host community, the more lucrative it is for Igbos. Igbos stand tall wherever they find themselves

Keep deluding urself with imaginary achievements. Your hate will never slow down d advancements of Igbos.

As for ur advice for the Ika....i know dem too well to tell u dat u ar basically wasting ur tym. The bond between us has lasted even before ur great-great-great-great-great-grand father was still cum in his own father's balls.

3 Likes

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by omojie: 3:25pm On Apr 07, 2015
1. i am ika and i have no apology to any one , ika is an ethnic group that is not bound to any major ethnic group in nigeria and this statement have been made by our fathers even in 1930 . though we acknowledge the migration and imput of many groups scuh as benin,ishan ,igbo,ora, ndokwa, aniocha and even yorubas , who all migrated into ika area and had one form of imput into building of ika nation . ika is not igbo or benin,but from most of the available history the first migrants were the edos or benins , later others followed .the ika language spoken today also bears a testimony as a hybrid of edo and igbo cum indigenous language .however there are some ika people that speak oza language , while some speak both ika and benin or ika and ishan .
2. what sets ika as a seperate ethnic entity is our world view which is clearly ika .
3. let me take on one of the contributors on this page on base words in ika , like i said ika shares some words with igbo , while some are edo and even yoruba words ,such as
1. basket------------- ukpali
2. bicycle- ikeke
3. plate- okpan
4. needle- oloden
5. police- ulakpa
6. king- ogiso is original ika word later changed to obi or dein
7. umbrella- ihiara
8. skirt is ubuluku
9. village- idumu
10. town - ogbe
11. family - agbon or ugbe-
12. road - uwaya
13. red- ododo
14. chain- egan
15. bottle- ogorh
16. nail- ise
17. grandchildren- sakpamaghori
18. okpoho= woman
19. okpoho-oba- old woman
20. idigun- iron deity
21. ohenren- priest
22. ekete- stool
23. okhue- parrot
24. aza- bank
25. adza- bell
26. giant- adhuaran
27. valley - iyere
28. lake- odhigiri
29. hill - oke
30. ehi- guardian spirit
31. oselobue or osenobue- God
32. orinmin- spirit world
33. eben- scimitar
34. omuada- holder of kings cutlass
35. ibiegua- royal guard
36. igbon -slave
37. knife- oghele or ebeke
38. grandmother- odede
39. old man -edionma
40. chief- ohaimen
42. beads - ikpehwe
43. parlour -
imughe
44. dodo- i plead or please
45. laiwe- good morning
46. kada- greeting at meals
47. lakpoma- after meals greetings ,thank sir./ma
48. round- oroghodo
49. thank you- ikpanmin or kpanmin
50. safe journey/ gods protection- iyare
51. fame- usi
53, disapperar- ifori or fori
54. air- ufere
55. hapinness- ighogho
56. joy- oyo
57. progress- oghai oghai
58. light- ukpe
59. bolt- olaye
60. outside- isere
61. plain ground- aradan
62. pokpenkpen- shelf
63. grave- ikpekpe
64- shirt/cloth- ewuru
this are all edo related words .
65- small- ekere
66. underground water is uroro amin

we also have igbo related words .
1. hand- eka
2. sit- dino
3. go- lama
4. another word for ground is akpakali

with this i have give you a little base word of ika language , ika is a language that has 6 dialects spoken by different ika groups .

5. bring- wehe
6. mouth - onu
7. nose- imin
8. water is minin

4. many people think that the word igbo has been existing since ancient times, not knowing its is a british classification ,so if you people like ika so much ,why not call every igbo person ika

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by omojie: 3:35pm On Apr 07, 2015
1. for your information , ika people dont dress like igbo , and we also have our names too , so it was british education and christianity that made many ika people to bear igbo names today , and we change them quickly , if we want , go back some 200, years ago or even 100 years ago , the number of ika people having igbo names were few .
we have names such as
1. ehiabor - gods blessing, instead of ngozi
2. ehima
3. erunmuh
4. ukpeose
5. efose
6. esose
7. ominken
8. ighogho- happiness
9. oyo- joy
10. oghose
11. uwaya
13. ehiyemofe
14/ osebor
15. agbobu
16. igboba
17. gbenoba
18. ihogbe
19. akanwe
20. ehioma
21. erikume
23. uyamasi
24. ehikogbe
25. ugbebor
26. ebonma
27. ebonka
28. olgboshere
29. jazunehi
30. kpnmiose
etc, what affected and eroded ika culture was nearness to some of our naighbouring towns and the ika people are now poised to recover our language and culture

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by omojie: 4:50pm On Apr 07, 2015
IKA LANGUAGE AS STRINGED , THIS IS OWA DIALECT OF IKA /

1. KI wu owan ? what is this
2. ki hobo men i ? what did this person do to you?
3. irehun reh menmen i ? are you sick?
4. watan ni gi ikpa ki nedi i , ka kwan nmani - this child that beat his father will later regret it .
5. okpohoni lala ni gi,,ayiya jenkor da yantutu mary
6. okenyeni dodo gbodon ni m idoboro le uya
7. egilegbeshi ro ni jonathan , e e woni ozegbe imen election ni ?
8. wehe ni m agara ni ri akpa ogbara ogbe uwaya .
9. i gogosome gun , ye wuzo ,ibaka ni
10. edei ,oku ri a ri , oku ahun le oselobue ri , oku hun wu oselobue ,owen okenyen ohu , oselobue zihe , efan wu john ,obiada sha osheri bayeni , ukpe hun,ukpe hun e ghun imen shin ,kani isihn asaneka kwondon e , ukpe hun a ghun idemizi gha itebite deru itebite .
11. irubor wu ohaimen , owen inyenmen ke demedon ihian ile don won,ihian kor wu, mani owu odafe, akaile kor gia tor , kor gia won inyenmen

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Nobody: 1:35am On Apr 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

I think that you are mistaking. I asked how come that ika speak a dialect of igbo and yet they come from from benin. You might claim that they don't speak igbo but I am igbo and I understAnd them yet I have not lived in ika

Now how come they have igbo names like ifeanyi and ehiedu how come their king is obi and not ovie or oba then how come their market days are igbo

I would have given u a research work and obi of owa stand on this

Did igbo colonise the benin migrants
Did eze chime any role

O igbo never objected to anioma what igbos said is that anioma should be in South east but igbo is skeptical about ika position not anioma position pls don't mix it up

Pls answer these question

I don't want to agree/ disagree with the op (I don't have knowledge of the subject matter), I just want to speak on the language of the old Benin empire to make things clear. Majority of the tribes in Edo/ deltal came from Benin, but they don't speak/understand Benin except they learn it.

This is because it was prohibited for others people to speak Benin outside Benin city. Note Benin city was the capital of the Benin empire, which in its speak extended to present day Benin republic. When a Benin prince established a community outside Benin city, he and his people speaks a different language, as it was forbidden to speak Benin there. For this reason, there are many languages in the Old Benin empire. We have the Benin, Ishan, Estako, Urhobo, Istekiri, Isoko and others.

His story is in-line with how benin princes found places and speaks the language of he people that joined them. But that his story is in-line does not mean it is true.

From Edo but not a Benin, can't even speak Benin.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Nobody: 2:03am On Apr 27, 2015
Abagworo:

Fine analysis, but the assumption that Igbos leave in is wrong. If you study the Bini history, you would realize that only pure Benin lived in Benin city.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 7:06am On Apr 27, 2015
That's a. New lie
Do you have any reliable data to back this your claim
dcaliph:

I don't want to agree/ disagree with the op (I don't have knowledge of the subject matter), I just want to speak on the language of the old Benin empire to make things clear. Majority of the tribes in Edo/ deltal came from Benin, but they don't speak/understand Benin except they learn it.

This is because it was prohibited for others people to speak Benin outside Benin city. Note Benin city was the capital of the Benin empire, which in its speak extended to present day Benin republic. When a Benin prince established a community outside Benin city, he and his people speaks a different language, as it was forbidden to speak Benin there. For this reason, there are many languages in the Old Benin empire. We have the Benin, Ishan, Estako, Urhobo, Istekiri, Isoko and others.

His story is in-line with how benin princes found places and speaks the language of he people that joined them. But that his story is in-line does not mean it is true.

From Edo but not a Benin, can't even speak Benin.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Nobody: 9:24am On Apr 27, 2015
tonychristopher:
That's a. New lie
Do you have any reliable data to back this your claim
Brother you don't just say people are lying without prove like I said I don't have knowledge about the Ika People. If I am lying, can you tell me any tribe founded by Benin outside Benin that speak the Benin language? Just name one?

Like I said, I don't have knowledge to make a judgement, but I believe either the Op is right, or Ika are Igbo people conquered and ruled by Benin. The benins influenced them are their society was structured as that of Benin. So they might be like the Istekiri people partly Yoruba and Benin. But this is just an hypothesis I may be wrong.

If you read any good book about the rise and fall of Benin empire, you would notice that the refusal of the Benins to let others speak their language is one of the reasons given for the declined. Had they adopted the system of the Yorubas where when a prince conquered a community, the community speak yoruba, adopted the yoruba culture to the fullness and are not discriminated against, in other words hard they allowed social integration, Benins would have been a majore tribe in Nigerian, even lagos would have been benin speaking people. Don't forget at a time, the Benin empire extended to Benin republic, some many yoruba state were even at one time or the under the Benin control. It was so vast that even the Europeans feared it, then they discribe the Oba of Benin as a strong king that can mobilise 100,000 men in a day for battle.

Please before you say a person is lying, do your own research.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by UnknownT: 9:38am On Apr 27, 2015
rexbuton:

1. Your former landlord doesn't know where he's from
2. Ika people have Ibo surnames and they also have Edo surnames too
3. Ifeanyi Okowa is just a man. In fact Ifeanyi's relative is my colleague, his name is Nosakhoro.. He has never claimed to be an Ibo man, not even for humour sake. Politicians swing depending on the benefits that can be derived. When Jonathan was campaigning, he told us that one of his names was Azikiwe, this was just an effort to associate with the east.. Who doesn't know that Jonathan is an Ijaw man?
. In actual fact, Ika dialect is a mixture of Igbo and Bini which evidently suggests it’s the influence of proximity with the Aniocha/Oshimili and Edo groups. This is also reflective in the names that the people bear. The whole of Ika communities speak Ika dialect while Igbodo speaks dual Ika and Enuani dialects.
I served in delta state, my principal an Agbor man Mr. Linus Ngozi Oribei is a proud Igbo man.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 9:58am On Apr 27, 2015
Ok brother, you have said the truth of how benins dont want their language to be spoken outside and for me to believe it, please give us and the world historical facts, linguiostic facts that these things you said are true.

we work with facts otherwise i will believe another fable that oduduwa came from sky lol

NOW Eze Chime is the founder of Delta Igbo clans and is EZE CHIME a benin name and there is a historical fact to that

So we are waiting

dcaliph:
Brother you don't just say people are lying without prove like I said I don't have knowledge about the Ika People. If I am lying, can you tell me any tribe founded by Benin outside Benin that speak the Benin language? Just name one?

Like I said, I don't have knowledge to make a judgement, but I believe either the Op is right, or Ika are Igbo people conquered and ruled by Benin. The benins influenced them are their society was structured as that of Benin. So they might be like the Istekiri people partly Yoruba and Benin. But this is just an hypothesis I may be wrong.

If you read any good book about the rise and fall of Benin empire, you would notice that the refusal of the Benins to let others speak their language is one of the reasons given for the declined. Had they adopted the system of the Yorubas where when a prince conquered a community, the community speak yoruba, adopted the yoruba culture to the fullness and are not discriminated against, in other words hard they allowed social integration, Benins would have been a majore tribe in Nigerian, even lagos would have been benin speaking people. Don't forget at a time, the Benin empire extended to Benin republic, some many yoruba state were even at one time or the under the Benin control. It was so vast that even the Europeans feared it, then they discribe the Oba of Benin as a strong king that can mobilise 100,000 men in a day for battle.

Please before you say a person is lying, do your own research.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by tonychristopher: 10:01am On Apr 27, 2015
you have said it all

Pure bloods in IKA acknowledge their igbo and its Benin migrants believe in Benin things

UnknownT:
I served in delta state, my principal an Agbor man Mr. Linus Ngozi Oribei is a proud Igbo man.
Re: The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 27, 2015
tonychristopher:
Ok brother, you have said the truth of how benins dont want their language to be spoken outside and for me to believe it, please give us and the world historical facts, linguiostic facts that these things you said are true.

we work with facts otherwise i will believe another fable that oduduwa came from sky lol

NOW Eze Chime is the founder of Delta Igbo clans and is EZE CHIME a benin name and there is a historical fact to that

So we are waiting

I told you before that I don't have knowledge about the origin of the deltan igbo, I have friends from there, so I would talk to them about it. I don't say what I don't know.

As per Benin didn't allow others to speak their language is easily verifiable. I told you no tribe founded by Benin speaks Benin language. Benin city is just a small place in the Benin empire. Nearly all the other people are ruled by kings with Benin lineage, and I ask you to just name one place evn a tiny piece of land that speaks benin.

The Benin culture is different from others in nigeria. For instant the Benin King don't leave Benin. He even hardly leave the palace except something very serious to the extent that as the Igbos say "you don buy market", the benins would say "you go see go see Oba". As I am here in Benin if the Oba shows up in my street, I would run. Why some thing has happen.
This would be strange to people outside, but it is the truth. Another strange culture that isn't practice anymore is the saying that the Benin is king, even if a year old boy is in the midst of 90 year old men from other place in the old Benin Empire, he is their senior and leader, he would break the kolanut.
Also another strange tradition of the Benin people is that used to see their obas as gods, as Igbos and other tribes name themselves Chuku this, chuku that, old benin names are Oba this Oba that. It only change to Osa after christianity came. For example names like Osaze now used to be Obaze.

All these are strange, but it is the truth. Like I said before I don't know about the Ika people, I am only saying what I know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Atiku Bagudu Sitting On The Floor With Students In Their School (Photo) / Suicide Bomber Kills Self, Destroys 13 Vehicles In Borno / Fayose Threatens To Sue Osinbajo, Demands Panel Report On SGF Lawal & NIA DG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.