Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,455 members, 7,812,395 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:42 PM

Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo (37736 Views)

I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances – Dasuki / Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances - Obasanjo / Obasanjo On Boko Haram: They Have Legitimate Grievances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by peedeeasobie(m): 8:43am On Mar 17, 2015
cyril83:

I don think he is, with the strategy of carrot and stick, bokoharam wouldn't have gone out of control.

What carrot approach did OBJ apply during the Odi massacre?

Now, they are dealing with bokoharam, the sponsors are getting uncomfortable!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by anonimi: 8:43am On Mar 17, 2015
tunshe:
Kids are too many on front pages these days with immature comments.Some will just pick the headline without digesting the content.

Gen. Obasanjo has not justified the killings by boko haram nor did he condemn the military actions on the sect.

He stated that the carrot stick approach will bring a lasting solution and prevent pyrrhic victory.

Dear kids above, read the sentence below 10 times for effective comprehension and modify your comments.

Thank you.

Misitah-I-am-not-a-kid please tell us why the Agbaya of Owu did not give carrot to Odi people abi he does not believe in the efficacy of his own advice ni

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by Slickest(m): 8:44am On Mar 17, 2015
asadike:
With due respect sir,I have some questions for u. I heard the insurgency actually started during your tenure sir or even as an elderly statesman, kindly tell us how u nipped it in d bud that got it escalated to this level? Secondly,how did you know that boko haram have legitimate grievances,are u one of the sponsors sir? Finally, if boko haram have legitimate grievances, what do we call that of their victims and every nigerian whose life have been adversely affected by d menace caused by the ins urgency?
And do you realy think he's gonna see this, or its exhibition of ur intelligence...nd mind u the boko haram that existed during d old man's administration was so local all they were clamouring for was NO to education nd I doubt if u anyone heard their voice.....ma dear some ppl took gej's gentility as an opportunity to fund the sect and in no tym it escalated....Tis is where we are!!!!!
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by cyril83(m): 8:44am On Mar 17, 2015
davuvid:

You like supporting bad things

Not all. Obj is not justifying the boko haram act, there must be grievances before any spark, how you handle it will determine the rouse.

Clueless jona is at fault here.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by folahann(m): 8:44am On Mar 17, 2015
Always read the article before commenting. A message to nairalanders with low IQ. Obasanjo spoke well on this matter.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by Mistermamus(m): 8:45am On Mar 17, 2015
all diz ex generals sef can never be trusted.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by maestroferddi: 8:45am On Mar 17, 2015
Abayhormy:

Obasanjo has not joined APC. He is not a member of APC when he tore his PDP membership card he said he is now an Elder State Man.
Get Your facts right. It is Atiku that joined APC.
Oga, Oga, don't deny Obasanjo this time.

He is the chief "navigator" of APC.

You guys have been benefiting from his countless treasonable utterances...

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by cyril83(m): 8:46am On Mar 17, 2015
peedeeasobie:

What carrot approach did OBJ apply during the Odi massacre?

Now, they are dealing with bokoharam, the sponsors are getting uncomfortable!

Odi approach was the best ever if not, militants would've been very worse than boko haram.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:46am On Mar 17, 2015
asadike:
you just have to admit that baba is wrong here. What grievances is he talking about?
read not just the title and U'll know what he means by that.....
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 8:48am On Mar 17, 2015
blackbee:
What's wrong with obj? Age

OBJ is a hungry old fool who makes use of media attention when ever it comes to him even when he has got nothing to say. BH started in his administration, why didn't he use the carrot and stick method of solving problems with them then? And sure carrot and stick refers to what he did to the people of Odi. OBJ's time on earth is gradually coming to an end and Nigeria will be better of without him. Killing the innocent in the name of Jihad is what he calls justifiable right. God punish the old fool. Nonsence.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by cyril83(m): 8:49am On Mar 17, 2015
luvinhubby:

Boko haram started in 2002, make your findings.

Bokoharam has been in existence even before democracy but when was mohammed yussuf get killed ?
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by samplegirl(f): 8:50am On Mar 17, 2015
asadike:
With due respect sir,I have some questions for u. I heard the insurgency actually started during your tenure sir or even as an elderly statesman, kindly tell us how u nipped it in d bud that got it escalated to this level? Secondly,how did you know that boko haram have legitimate grievances,are u one of the sponsors sir? Finally, if boko haram have legitimate grievances, what do we call that of their victims and every nigerian whose life have been adversely affected by d menace caused by the ins urgency?

Obasanjo says boko haram has legitmate reason to bomb school children, worshippers in the church, travellers in the park and so on. This is the kind of people foolish Nigerian youths are calling to come and govern them. Obasanjo is now telling us that boko haram have valid reasons to kill innocent school children because they boko haram members did not get enough education, meanwhile they are bent on destroying education. They did not see thier political leaders to vent their anger on but worshippers in the church.

This is the kind of thing you get when occultic men are celebrated in the society but my pity goes to the gullible youths who are not ready to take their destiny but calling the people who denied their people education to come and rule them.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by onatisi(m): 8:51am On Mar 17, 2015
Is this the kind of person ,people expect pdp and gej to continue to harbour and accommodate? Good riddance to bad rubbish .

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by MadCow1: 8:51am On Mar 17, 2015
tunshe:
Kids are too many on front pages these days with immature comments.Some will just pick the headline without digesting the content.

Gen. Obasanjo has not justified the killings by boko haram nor did he condemn the military actions on the sect.

He stated that the carrot stick approach will bring a lasting solution and prevent pyrrhic victory.

Dear kids above, read the sentence below 10 times for effective comprehension and modify your comments.

Thank you.

Education....

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 8:51am On Mar 17, 2015
asadike:

Thank you my dear for those questions. That hollow headed corrupt old fool doesn't deserve the respect you offer him even because he has little or no respect for himself.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by cyril83(m): 8:51am On Mar 17, 2015
folahann:
Always read the article before commenting. A message to nairalanders with low IQ. Obasanjo spoke well on this matter.

Tell them bro, tell the clueless followers of the clueless president.

There must be grievances before any spark, how you handle it will determine the level of the rouse.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by ogahope(m): 8:55am On Mar 17, 2015
We now know d real enemies of our dear country. May God continue to expose dem one after the other until dey will meet deir destruction.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by Edunwa302(m): 8:56am On Mar 17, 2015
If dis is true, den dis papa needs urgent medical attention
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by cyril83(m): 8:57am On Mar 17, 2015
anonimi:

Misitah-I-am-not-a-kid please tell us why the Agbaya of Owu did not give carrot to Odi people abi he does not believe in the efficacy of his own advice ni

Militants were given enough carrot but their greed for more carrot called for a big stick.

Nice approach for greedy fellow.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by Feraz(m): 8:58am On Mar 17, 2015
kraftykc:
There is NO IDEOLOGICAL STRUGGLE EVER IN THIS WORLD'S HISTORY, THAT HAS BEEN SOLVED BY VIOLENCE ONLY.

Obj is absolutely right, BH do have legit grievances and were it not for the fact that they went exceedingly overboard with their actions some Nigerians would still be defending them. Now to be honest the only way to go now is to force BH's hand till they can be either tried in court or reabsorbed into society. Many members today are kids who were kidnapped as babies and not given any other option other than fight or die.

Like it or not, we cannot kill off BH.
I recall when the government then wanted to grant amnesty to BH since everyone was calling for it. BH said they are rather the ones to grant the FG amnesty. Government tried the carrot approach but it was rejected by BH.

If we say it's education, what did he do while he was in power? BH started under his tenure but he turned a blind eye to it, despite the religious uprising back then, I did not hear about what Baba did to curb those.

If their legit grievance is to turn Nigeria into an Islamic state, what of those of other faith bearing in mind that Nigeria is a secular state? How will they feel? Of course, violence does not solve anything alone but certain times, you need show you're in charge when someone is going overboard.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 8:58am On Mar 17, 2015
cyril83:

Cut the man some slack joor, bokoharam didn't really start during his tenure, the whole scenario started during yaradua but not that worse, jonathan administration is just too weak to handle bokoharam.

Have you been so blinded with your partisanship and your pledged slavery to the north? Truth be told except if you were not given birth to then.

Even if it was true, how many schools did OBJ build for the north in his military and civilian rule? How many schools did the past northern leaders who rulled for 75% after independence biuld for their people? Hasn't GEJ biult a lot of schools for them in this short time, what has been their entitlement that wasn't given to them by this administration? Most of you guys have lost your conscience and truth. God have mercy on your likes.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by DadaStephen1(m): 8:59am On Mar 17, 2015
blackbee:
What's wrong with obj? Age

what's wrong with you? FOLLY.

Why are many Nigerians so stupid and quick to insult? You don't have to block your mind to other views, many of you don't listen to others because they are not in your 'RELIGION' from your 'TRIBE' or from your political divide. These things have destroyed Nigeria so much.

The man just talked from professional military intelligence and he hasn't said anything out of sense.
Can you suggest a better opinion?
Na wa o! angry
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by ChrisArs: 8:59am On Mar 17, 2015
U re high on something.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by unite4real: 8:59am On Mar 17, 2015
blackbee:
What's wrong with obj ? Age

did you read the text at all. Your comment is based on the topic alone.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by jogojogo: 9:02am On Mar 17, 2015
asadike:
I am disappointed with OBJ
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by betty202020(m): 9:02am On Mar 17, 2015
cyril83:

I don think he is, with the strategy of carrot and stick, bokoharam wouldn't have gone out of control.
what carrot are u talking about? how many times have been invited by fg for negotiation and they deferred it ?
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by cyril83(m): 9:03am On Mar 17, 2015
nortcentrallord:

Have you been so blinded with your partisanship and your pledged slavery to the north? Truth be told except if you were not given birth to then.

Even if it was true, how many schools did OBJ build for the north in his military and civilian rule? How many schools did the past northern leaders who rulled for 75% after independence biuld for their people? Hasn't GEJ biult a lot of schools for them in this short time, what has been their entitlement that wasn't given to them by this administration? Most of you guys have lost your conscience and truth. God have mercy on your likes.

Don't even go there.

Northerners benefitted a lot from obasanjo's administration more than any other zone.
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by ceejayluv(m): 9:04am On Mar 17, 2015
Solozzo:
Obasanjo is right! The battle is won in the field but the war is won on the negotiation table. He just echoed my thoughts.

How did the negotiation offer to boko haram turn out?... If I were the president, I wouldn't even consider negotiation anymore even if shekau offers ceasefire or his minions surrender...
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by openmine(m): 9:05am On Mar 17, 2015
so am guessing we sud have given a "carrot and stick" approach 2 a radicalized sect dat have zero sympathy 4 human lives,

dat see no value in education but rather dey tag dem as infidels and "behead" dose who dare mention "education" (both christian and moslems)...

imagine a sect having a bomb factory which is used 2 kill deir very own...how stupid and senseless can dey get....and yet a former president is advocating dat dey had "legitimate" reasons 4 dat??

bokoharam claim 2 have legitimate rights like obj said and yet dey kill d very people they claim 2 protect....

wat d hell is wrong wit obj....
has he taken his drugs Dis week....
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by jogojogo: 9:05am On Mar 17, 2015
Feraz:
I recall when the government then wanted to grant amnesty to BH since everyone was calling for it. BH said they are rather the ones to grant the FG amnesty. Government tried the carrot approach but it was rejected by BH.

If we say it's education, what did he do while he was in power? BH started under his tenure but he turned a blind eye to it, despite the religious uprising back then, I did not hear about what Baba did to curb those.

If their legit grievance is to turn Nigeria into an Islamic state, what of those of other faith bearing in mind that Nigeria is a secular state? How will they feel? Of course, violence does not solve anything alone but certain times, you need show you're in charge when someone is going overboard.

Simply on point brother!
Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by MadCow1: 9:05am On Mar 17, 2015
samplegirl:

Obasanjo says boko haram has legitmate reason to bomb school children, worshippers in the church, travellers in the park and so on. This is the kind of people foolish Nigerian youths are calling to come and govern them. Obasanjo is now telling us that boko haram have valid reasons to kill innocent school children because they boko haram members did not get enough education, meanwhile they are bent on destroying education. They did not see thier political leaders to vent their anger on but worshippers in the church.

This is the kind of thing you get when occultic men are celebrated in the society but my pity goes to the gullible youths who are not ready to take their destiny but calling the people who denied their people education to come and rule them.

Occultic Men? undecided

Obasanjo said Boko Haram had legitimate grievances whether rightly or wrongly perceived by them. He never said Boko Haram was right to attack innocent people for those grievances..

Let me give you an example: SampleGirl picks up a Knief and goes around puncturing the tires of all Cars with Government plate numbers and even burning them because she was injured during the last Immigrations exercise and never compensated.

Does SampleGirl have Legitimate grievances? YES.
Does Samplegirl's Legitimate grieviance make her actions justifiable? NO.

Example 2: A robber says he robs people because of the state of the nation. No food, no jobs, rising cost of living, bad governance and the need to provide for his family.

Does the Robber have legitimate Grieviances? YES
Does that mean the robber isn't guilty or that his grieviances justify his stealing? NO..

So my dear all Obasanjo is saying is that whilst we are busy dropping tons of Bombs in the North, we shouldn't ignore whatever the underlying grieviances that led us into this mess in the first place.

So there you have it..

Dont thank me, Thank my Verbal Reasoning Teacher in Primary 3.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Has Legitimate Grievances-obasanjo by nortcentrallord(m): 9:05am On Mar 17, 2015
lonelydora:
OBJ, please do Nigeria a big favour, SHUT UP! Come to think of it, Is that why he went to Open University? To talk anyhow?

Bad effect of age is what is disturbing OBJ. The same effect pushing buhari around. They will never lead this country again. Something is about to happen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos: Obasanjo And Buhari Meet In Abuja / Bode George: I’ll Dump Nigeria For Togo If Tinubu Becomes President / Anxiety Across Nigeria As Cases Seeking Buhari’s Disqualification Hold Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.