Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,936 members, 7,828,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist (38889 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / FROM FAITH TO Facts:collection Of My Thoughts, Experience & Sojourn In Religion / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by davien(m): 4:13pm On Mar 19, 2015
gbl01:

Thanks but i dont want to understand evolution
Then why'd you question something you don't want to know?
And why build a conclusion on something you haven't read?

3 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 4:14pm On Mar 19, 2015
funmo:
DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

but it is rather wise if one agrees there is a God, and makes heaven, and afterwards discover there isn't God after all... nothing to lose

THAN

to argue till death that God doesn't exist, and afterwards discover he does, and end up in fire

BUT THE FIRST LADY SUMS IT ALL UP ATHEISTS

"chai... there is Godu o o o..."

Paschals wager has been debunked , albeit funnily

1 Like

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 19, 2015
ipunchbitches:
Religion has actually convinced
people that there's an invisible
man living in the sky who
watches everything you do,
every minute of every day. And
the invisible man has a special
list of ten things he does not
want you to do. And if you do
any of these ten things, he has a
special place, full of fire and
smoke and burning and torture
and anguish, where he will
send you to live and suffer and
burn and choke and scream and
cry forever and ever 'til the end
of time!
But He loves you. He loves you,
and He needs money! He always
needs money! He's all-powerful,
all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-
wise, somehow just can't handle
money!

I wonder why he needs our money when he obviously created everything ?

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 4:29pm On Mar 19, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Atheirts are foöls that try to substitute things which need knowledge to understand with probability.

I don't get your story , so theory of evolution and other scientific facts are probabilities but creationism is knowledge ? You must be a joker.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by jes7: 4:30pm On Mar 19, 2015
davien:
I'm following your logic here.....you implied that if we can't see who gave birth to Bill gates "does that mean he doesn't exist"...

ofwhich I replied, we can see Bill gates, can we see "god"?
you are the one not following the logic. My line of argument is that to prove there is a creator, you don't necessarily have to prove the creator must have been created. so to say for there to be a creator, there has to be the creator of the creator does not in anyway prove that there is no creator.

3 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Tedman: 4:31pm On Mar 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Thats one of the religious ideologies that are ridiculous in this century that man is superior to woman... but we know both are equal..
And by "equal" u mean?
Because, even men are not equal to one another; when one operates with the fundamental meaning of the word.
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 4:34pm On Mar 19, 2015
jes7:

you are the one not following the logic. My line of argument is that to prove there is a creator, you don't necessarily have to prove the creator must have been created. so to say for there to be a creator, there has to be the creator of the creator does not in anyway prove that there is no creator.
Then isn't it simpler to say the universe has no creator since you don't want to accept this your creator have a creator too...smiley

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 4:34pm On Mar 19, 2015
Tedman:
And by "equal" u mean?
Because, even men are not equal to one another; when one operates with the fundamental meaning of the word.
and am i supposed to start arguing with you on this

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by davien(m): 4:36pm On Mar 19, 2015
jes7:

Neither does it mean there is one...so we'd only act according to what we know....since "god/gods" cannot be substantiated, the concept is not considered...because as far as we know it's inseparable from imaginary friends...

3 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 19, 2015
frankmishael1:
u will die horrible death before this month end, if it didn't happen know I'm not a man of God

You and your god claim to be good and love everyone yet you wish a horrible death for a man who has his own choice , if you ask me I'll say it is you and your god who are the real devils

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nicklaus(m): 4:44pm On Mar 19, 2015
davien:
Explain to me the bolded and where I ever implied such...
And you've established that you're ready to resort to insults to deviate scrutiny of your mythology..

Can everyone here see a perfect example of a theist willing to do just about anything(including lying) just to spread the belief?
I will after you have explained to me what you meant by "And I doubt simplicity equates atheism." I termed you as misguided because you referred me to a so-called fairy-tale site that probably got your brain twisted sideways, crunch that! Do you really think that's so hard to fathom ? And what belief are you talking about here ? Believing in God is simply common sense, even great scientist admitted that. What do you know? And I also see how manipulative you so-called atheist tend to be, you ll do anything to recruits soldiers for satan. Well if you insist on your ill-baked dogma, don't forget that your very existence is a myth and the air you breathe in is a mixture of nature's accident.
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:
Very poor attempt at sarcasm.

Just answer the damned question.

I love this girl

1 Like

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by jes7: 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Then isn't it simpler to say the universe has no creator since you don't want to accept this your creator have a creator too...smiley
That something is simpler does not make it true. The first level of reasoning is that the world we live in and life itself is a product of intelligence even if you are scared of calling that intelligence God. I think it makes a more intellectual sense to assume we were created than to think we are a mindless product of chance and time. You think of it, is it easier to infer chance anytime we see an information or to infer intelligence? If you see a writing on the floor wishing you happy birthday on you birthday will you say it was just chance that nobody did it? The DNA contains billions of intelligently arranged letters containing very complex information, now tell me chance or intelligence which should be inferred here?

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
neoapocalypse:

You and your god claim to be good and love everyone yet you wish a horrible death for a man who has his own choice , if you ask me I'll say it is you and your god who are the real devils
u will too
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by jes7: 5:03pm On Mar 19, 2015
davien:
Neither does it mean there is one...so we'd only act according to what we know....since "god/gods" cannot be substantiated, the concept is not considered...because as far as we know it's inseparable from imaginary friends...
I am not trying to prove anything here, I am only responding to the weak argument that says for us to prove there is a creator we have to keep proving there is a creator of the creator. But if you need a prove that God exists, there are many proofs. On the other hand I am very sure you cannot prove that God does not exist.

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by davien(m): 5:07pm On Mar 19, 2015
Nicklaus:
I will after you have explained to me what you meant by "And I doubt simplicity equates atheism."
He claimed atheism implied simplicity....and i simply objected saying that "simplicity doesn't equate to atheism" and that actually theists prefer simplicity to complex explanations.....that is why a 7 day creation, bats being birds and stepping on stars are easily accepted....because they offer...no or little explanation and/or attach a moral significance to boost belief.

I termed you as misguided because you referred me to a so-called fairy-tale site that probably got your brain twisted sideways,
Now I see the problem here, you didn't read my reply at all, if you did you'd see the part I told you that those qualities are fairy-tales by definition, and then proceeded to give you a site where the definition of a fairy tale is given and it matched biblical stories of witches, wizards, etc

crunch that! Do you really think that's so hard to fathom ?
What are you referring to here?

And what belief are you talking about here ?
Believing in God is simply common sense, even great scientist admitted that.

I've established from my first post on this topic that "common sense" is useless to the reality of things....."common sense" is merely what we expect or assume things to be,based on our intuition(and preconceptions)....

What do you know? And I also see how manipulative you so-called atheist tend to be, you ll do anything to recruits soldiers for satan.
Again... trying to misrepresent atheism will do you no good....

Well if you insist on your ill-baked dogma, don't forget that your very existence is a myth and the air you breathe in is a mixture of nature's accident.
Hmmmmmm.....is this your last response,an agitated reply?

4 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 19, 2015
frankmishael1:
u will too

hahaha , you are a fccking dolt , you and your crazy ass god

1 Like

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by freecocoa(f): 5:10pm On Mar 19, 2015
neoapocalypse:

I love this girl
wink wink

I love you right back.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 19, 2015
jes7:
But if you need a prove that God exists, there are many proofs. On the other hand I am very sure you cannot prove that God does not exist.

I think it's the other way round but just to humour you , what is your proof of god ?

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 5:12pm On Mar 19, 2015
jes7:

That something is simpler does not make it true. The first level of reasoning is that the world we live in and life itself is a product of intelligence even if you are scared of calling that intelligence God. I think it makes a more intellectual sense to assume we were created than to think we are a mindless product of chance and time. You think of it, is it easier to infer chance anytime we see an information or to infer intelligence? If you see a writing on the floor wishing you happy birthday on you birthday will you say it was just chance that nobody did it? The DNA contains billions of intelligently arranged letters containing very complex information, now tell me chance or intelligence which should be inferred here?

It is you that tend to see intelligence in it..

The universe is still evolving even as we are now, new stars are being born from supernovas (death of old stars) galaxies still colliding into galaxies, planets being formed.. i dont see how such suggests design seeing that its still evolving (in its formation process) or are we to say this creator is not through with his creation yet? smiley

The universe may be complex but for you to say designed is just a huge stab to the intellectual curiosity of man.

Can you demonstrate to me how complexity of the universe is a proof of design?

Coming up with something like a creator did it doesn't solve the problem of how it really came to be, it can only postpone your ability to learn it.
And this will make you fail in your own argument cus you must assume this your creator has no creator thereby trying to boycott the possibility of infinite regress.

4 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by davien(m): 5:14pm On Mar 19, 2015
jes7:

I am not trying to prove anything here, I am only responding to the weak argument that says for us to prove there is a creator we have to keep proving there is a creator of the creator. But if you need a prove that God exists, there are many proofs. On the other hand I am very sure you cannot prove that God does not exist.

The argument that fella proposed is that since you claim the universe is too complex therefore "god did it"...then the deity too must be too complex therefore "super-god did it" and so on and so forth..

And I never claimed I could disprove "god", that doesn't mean "god" is real the same way you can't disprove that you aren't in the matrix...

Either way one has to have verifiable information before considering whether something is even an option and so far "god" isn't verifiable....hence you wouldn't need faith......so "god" is not even an option to consider the possibility or impossibility in the first place...

Making the notion of "god/gods" a useless one and indistinguishable from fantasy.

4 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by DatguyTim(m): 5:15pm On Mar 19, 2015
i believe in God, i dont think you can prove he exist
i dont believe in the bible it just gets farfetched at times
offering is mostly for church development or charity
religion doesnt make sense, science does
God told Noah to take two of EVERY ANIMAL on the ark so very sorry but a flood couldnt have caused their extinction.

obviously you must know that praying for someone to die wont kill the person.
also its quite obvious who will do better in a test between a hard working atheist and a prayerful person who doesnt read or prepare.

there are limits to everything, you can only prove to yourself if a supreme being exists or not
but also know that according to your sacred holy books loving your neighbour (not ridiculing, backbiting or malice) is the greatest commandment

also common human decency should tell you offending anyone knowingly isnt cool. You guys should chill and get ready for europa league tonight

5 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 5:17pm On Mar 19, 2015
jes7:

Their are no proofs for the existence of this your sky daddy..

Listening to all your argument here you just think a creator must exist because you think the universe was designed.

I can as well tell you it is a pink unicorn that is the creator.

And the case of proving god does not exist, can you prove a pink flying unicorn dont exist?

it is left for you as the claimer to prove this your sky daddy exist then i as the unbeliever will know but it is impossible cus its all about FAITH.

Your lack of proof of this sky daddy is proof enough its only in your head.

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
Atheists just don't believe. Atheism is not a belief system. Christianity does not provide answers to questions on how humans or any other thing in nature came to being, neither does any religion and I think it's plain laziness and ignorantly stubborn to attribute gaps in knowledge to any god...at least there are people out there looking for answers and explain unlike those who just hold on to ridiculous stories as an account of creation...why did your god stop creating anyway I'd rather believe my tradition's myth of creation or Oduduwa's story than foolishly believe that we all came from a Jew named Noah
5minsmadness:

The topic is on atheists having faith i.e believing in something they can't prove. I was just trying to show him that he uses faith as well.

This thread don go far oh! Am in the office, will address further when I get home.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Nicklaus(m): 5:33pm On Mar 19, 2015
davien:
He claimed atheism implied simplicity....and i simply objected staying that "simplicity doesn't equate to atheism" and that actually theists prefer simplicity to complex explanations.....that is why a 7 day creation, bats being birds and stepping on stars are easily accepted....because they offer...no or little explanation and/or attach a moral significance to boost belief.

Now I see the problem here, you didn't read my reply at all, if you did you'd see the part I told you that those qualities are fairy-tales by definition, and then proceeded to give you a site where the definition of a fairy tale is given and it matched biblical stories of witches, wizards, etc

What are you referring to here?

I've established from my first post on this topic that "common sense" is useless to the reality of things....."common sense" is merely what we expect or assume things to be,based on our intuition(and preconceptions)....

Again... trying to misrepresent atheism will do you no good....

Hmmmmmm.....is this your last response,an agitated reply?
Consider me repugnant! My lord jesus christ was allergic to bullshit {temple}
And I probably have his temper.
You sound calm but am under the impression it's just a facade.
In any case, at the end of the day, what matters most is doing the right thing.
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 5:49pm On Mar 19, 2015
babyshaQ1:
Atheists just don't believe. Atheism is not a belief system. Christianity does not provide answers to questions on how humans or any other thing in nature came to being, neither does any religion and I think it's plain laziness and ignorantly stubborn to attribute gaps in knowledge to any god...at least there are people out there looking for answers and explain unlike those who just hold on to ridiculous stories as an account of creation...why did your god stop creating anyway I'd rather believe my tradition's myth of creation or Oduduwa's story than foolishly believe that we all came from a Jew named Noah

1 Like

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by Weah96: 5:51pm On Mar 19, 2015
jes7:

As far as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are concerned, reaching a consensus on a creator of the universe advances us nowhere. We're still locked in the room with the hungry 800lb gorilla. If you say that there is a creator, and keep quiet after that statement, then I wouldn't have much of a rebuttal. Things don't jump out of nowhere, at least not in objective reality.
But that's not what you're saying. You're not only saying that there is a creator, but you claim to have the book that this creator dictated to a handful of white people. I've looked into the claim thoroughly, read the book, carried out the rituals and incantations, and determined that it is a scam. The creator is obviously not the humanoid alien from the Abrahamic religions.

2 Likes

Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by 5minsmadness: 5:56pm On Mar 19, 2015
babyshaQ1:

It is rather interesting how you guys jumped the other questions I asked and zoned in on this one.
atheists not believing in God with such enthusiasm IS a VERY FERVENT BELIEF in itself. All atheists believe in the non-existence of God or gods, and short of a physical contact with such deities, will simply refuse to follow an argument for the existence of a creator. THAT in itself is a firm belief system.

as for your second paragraph, has evolution stopped? if yes why? if no why haven't we as humans evolved 4 pairs of hands since we are so busy all the time?
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by 5minsmadness: 6:03pm On Mar 19, 2015
[quote author=johnydon22 post=31789636][/quote]

[size=14pt]“If there were no God, there would be no atheists.”-GK Chesterton[/size]
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 6:04pm On Mar 19, 2015
5minsmadness:

It is rather interesting how you guys jumped the other questions I asked and zoned in on this one.
atheists not believing in God with such enthusiasm IS a VERY FERVENT BELIEF in itself. All atheists believe in the non-existence of God or gods, and short of a physical contact with such deities, will simply refuse to follow an argument for the existence of a creator. THAT in itself is a firm belief system.
See it this way.
Theist : Their is a sky man, that created the universe and has a son without a wife and is not concerned with all the natural disasters (evidently) but is concerned if i bang my girl friend or not.

Atheist: I don't believe you... prove it to me..

5minsmadness:

as for your second paragraph, has evolution stopped? if yes why? if no why haven't we as humans evolved 4 pairs of hands since we are so busy all the time?
N.B . . i'm not a fan of evolution, more studies are being carried out on it and it still requires a lot of work and experiment but at least read something before asking questions..

Evolution takes millions of years, you probably need to stick around for that long to witness it.
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 6:06pm On Mar 19, 2015
5minsmadness:

[size=14pt]“If there were no God, there would be no atheists.”-GK Chesterton[/size]

No the correct thing should be, If their are no god "ideas" they wont be atheists.(people that disbelief the idea.

The God concept is a very archaic idea, and that is it.. an idea if you say its reality show me it is..
Re: I Dont Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist by jes7: 6:27pm On Mar 19, 2015
Weah96:

As far as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are concerned, reaching a consensus on a creator of the universe advances us nowhere. We're still locked in the room with the hungry 800lb gorilla. If you say that there is a creator, and keep quiet after that statement, then I wouldn't have much of a rebuttal. Things don't jump out of nowhere, at least not in objective reality.
But that's not what you're saying. You're not only saying that there is a creator, but you claim to have the book that this creator dictated to a handful of white people. I've looked into the claim thoroughly, read the book, carried out the rituals and incantations, and determined that it is a scam. The creator is obviously not the humanoid alien from the Abrahamic religions.
I have not referred to any book here so don't jump to another argument. All I have said is that it is more plausible to infer an intelligence behind something as complex as the human mind than to say nothing did it or that it is a product of chance. If you disagree with what I have said can you give a more plausible explanation for the origin of life and the wonder of the coded information in the DNA?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Pastor Joy Increase Praying With Cane In A Church In America (Photos) / Arewa Youth-Forum Visit TB Joshua's Synagogue / Lady "Vomits Cockcroach" As T.B Joshua Prays For Her In His Church (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.