Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable (39742 Views)

Wives Not Cooks Saga : See What The Smart Women Think (screenshots) / What Is The Ideal Spousal Age Difference? / Alarming Number Of Unmarried Ladies (28 - 39 Yrs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2015
johnny1980:

And we all utterly condemn it.

It's very rare to see a man that verbally abuses his partner but all the same. It is very wrong and sane men condemn such act by any man. We don't believe bad behaviour as such is because of nature, hormones, stereotypes or his environment and would not excuse such irresponsibility.

A man who verbally abuses his wife is a bad man. No two definition for such. The difference is clear.
Examples of men that will verbally abuse their wives are.
Coogar
FFK
Rotimi Amaechi
Fayose

Abeg they should legalize gun for naija o
So I can blow ur head if u dare lay ur hand on me since I can't match u strength for strengthcheesy

Jonny,hope this is a good idea?

3 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 20, 2015
moca:
Nawaa o!
, it has not come to this now.
U guys should stop doing this.
It's very immature abeg.

Johnny, abeg swerve one side cheesy
My initial post started with a response to what coogar said.
He understands where I'm coming from and where I'm going.

I hv never condoned abuse of any kind and will not.

I've written extensively on verbal abuse with my lost moniker.

But as it is now, I wan lash out to coogar cos he is an abuser cheesy

Hmm...Because you were called out on that line that's why you are changing thoughts now.

A vast number of ladies believe verbal abuse is nothing and a lady would always run her mouth because nature has created her that way. They would never take responsibility for such but always give the lame excuse "but she's a lady na".

7 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by cococandy(f): 3:13pm On Mar 20, 2015
shocked
lolababe331e:
It's an unfortunate cycle, the Dad beats the Mum regularly. The kids see her stay and claim she is happy in her marriage so the girls think beating is part of a good marriage and the boys think it's an acceptable way to "correct" their wives. On the front page someone confronted his Dad for slapping his Mum who is above 60 by the way showing that abusers rarely ever stop, yet most of the comments there are blaming him. Saying thinks like after all the Dad had probably been slapping the Mum since and they were still "happily" married so he should mind his business and watch his Mum get slapped around shocked
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2015
moca:

Examples of men that will verbally abuse their wives are.
Coogar
FFK
Rotimi Amaechi
Fayose

Abeg they should legalize gun for naija o
So I can blow ur head if u dare lay ur hand on me since I can't match u strength for strengthcheesy

Jonny,hope this is a good idea?

And how would you know the way to where the gun is kept if all you can see is shining stars from the slap you just received.?

As for those up there. They are political jobbers and I can't judge their actions at home based on what they say out there. Politics is a murky water and Naija politics can turn a sane man into something else.

3 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Ewuro4: 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2015
Greatgod please kiss

freecocoa:
I will keep saying it.

If a woman hits first then she invited whatever she gets, the judge doesn't care who hit harder, he just wants to know who started it.

The issue of domestic abuse is not as one sided and simple as people make it out to be, I have grown enough to realize this, let us face facts please.

My perspective to different life situations is case by case. Therefore I share a different moral on this one , compared to different opinions I've read on this forum so far ( in regards to disagreements&Abuse in relationships)

Nevertheless, I respect everyone's opinion, yours inclusive.

My dear, men's (gays inclusive) physical makeup is likely 10x stronger than women's. If a man lands you a slap during heated argument in angst, I swear you're likely to go down in concoction.

For the record, Abuse of any kind should be widely denounced and condemned. Verbal & emotional abuse hurts more if not even than physical abuse because the thought of those hurtful words will linger in your head for the rest of your life.

Maybe my mentality is shaped in this direction because I grew up among all men and
raised by one. My Daddy said a man who hits a woman is a wussie (easy for him to say) but I say he should pack his overnight bag and take a walk. That's the kind of man I'm willing to raise. A gentleman.

freecocoa:
But is it a bad thing is women control themselves too? Why does it have to be the men who have to learn self control?

Not trying to digress but The equality battle messed things up. Most relationships are 'No holds barred' now, men are not leaving any factors out in regards to being 'equal' but the truth remain that Men are not equal to women in physical strength. Men are stronger and should PLEASE restrain themselves when these tantrums starts.
( I wonder why there's one in the first place?)

3 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by BABE3: 3:30pm On Mar 20, 2015
johnny1980:

Hmm...Because you were called out on that line that's why you are changing thoughts now.

A vast number of ladies believe verbal abuse is nothing and a lady would always run her mouth because nature has created her that way. They would never take responsibility for such but always give the lame excuse "but she's a lady na".

I always wonder why this "nature" excuse can't be readily used for men too.

One mgbeke dolt ( cheesy ) on here said "men should understand that women have wahala, it's their nature. And men are the cause of the constant disagreements between mother in laws and daughter in laws."

Back to the million dollar question; when will women ever take responsibility for their actions?

8 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by cococandy(f): 3:31pm On Mar 20, 2015
coogar:

verbally abusive only after they have been abused. no man goes about the forum looking for a woman to abuse. it's always in retaliation.

Coogar this one is a lie.
On nairaland, all the guys I've ever Insulted took the first jab.
90 percent of the time.

They just can't stand different opinion.
You only need to state a different opinion to see a reply that comes with horrible unwarranted name calling

So I'm wondering if that's how they will exchange words with their wives at home if the poor lady holds an opinion different from theirs.

Some guys have bad mouth gan. No try them o.

Verbal abuse is not only about women just as physical abuse is not only about men

1 Like

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 20, 2015
freecocoa:
But is it a bad thing if women control themselves too? Why does it have to be the men who have to learn self control?

Are you talking about controlling themselves in not hitting the man or?

3 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Ewuro4: 3:37pm On Mar 20, 2015
BABE3:

I always wonder why this "nature" excuse can't be readily used for men too.

One mgbeke dolt ( cheesy ) on here said "men should understand that women have wahala, it's their nature. And men are the cause of the constant disagreements between mother in laws and daughter in laws."

Back to the million dollar question; when will women ever take responsibility for their actions?

I'm afraid but NEVER!

And it's So sad coz they're in the majority of the crowd seeking equality ... They are the ones holding that 'cause' backwards from thriving.

They want to eat their cake and hold it. So sad.

1 Like

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by freecocoa(f): 3:40pm On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

Are you talking about controlling themselves in not hitting the man or?

In that and verbal abuse.
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 20, 2015
More research

Zero in on the highlighted part
We have a long way to go when even women are supporting this

Research suggests that while some men who are violent may think about getting help, the majority of them don’t. Some of the reasons men do not seek out help include:
Acceptance of violence – a man who thinks that he is entitled to dominate family members, and that it is okay to solve problems with violence, may not believe that he needs help. He may blame the victim for ‘provoking’ his behaviour.
Notions of masculinity – the idea of what it means to be a man, for many men, includes silence and strength. A man may avoid seeking help because he doesn’t want to look ‘weak’ or feminine.
Ignorance – about half of the men who get help or counselling for their violent behaviour report that they had tried unsuccessfully in the past to find help but didn’t know where to go.
Fear – most men who don’t seek help report that feeling ashamed stops them from seeking help.
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 20, 2015
freecocoa:
In that and verbal abuse.

Are you of the opinion that men are not verbally abusive?
My dear there is no justification for physical abuse
Period!
That is the issue you ought to stress
There is absolutely no condition where a man should lift up his hand and strike a woman
We can them build from there
Many men who abuse their wives are also substance abusers
Do you know that fact?

Many are drunkards or drug abusers,smokers of substances,people with mental issues
Do you want to excuse that also?
Or you would rather not discuss that?

2 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by BABE3: 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2015
Ewuro4:

I'm afraid but NEVER!

And it's So sad coz they're in the majority of the crowd seeking equality ... They are the ones holding that 'cause' backwards from thriving.

They want to eat their cake and hold it. So sad.

Excellent.

Equality ko, equation ni. cheesy

when women are ready to drop the victim mentality and "be a man" then we can talk equality.
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 20, 2015
When men rape women they blame it on the woman for enticing them and there are women who agree
When men cheat they blame it on the woman for pushing them outside and some women agree
When they beat their women they also blame it on women for provoking them and there are also women who agree
Sad indeed
When will women stop excusing bad behavior from their men?

4 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 20, 2015
Cococandy,dont mind coogar cheesy
Abuser extraordinaire on or offline cheesy
One day,they will cut off his mouth cheesy

Babyosisi,they might be in the minority but some really get bad mouth.

Infact,their mouth is venom!
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 20, 2015
BABE3:

Excellent.

Equality ko, equation ni. cheesy

when women are ready to drop the victim mentality and "be a man" then we can talk equality.

R u coogar?
Cos u always appear when he appears!

If not,call him back let me finish him here.
My mouth sharp today tongue cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2015
More food for thought ,not my words
Characteristics of batterers

1. Batterers have an intense need to control the women they love:
The biggest misconception about these guys is that they have "anger management" issues. They don't. They don't blow up at work or at the driver who cuts into their lane. Instead they have an overwhelming need to control their loved one—how she dresses, where she goes and whom she talks to. That's why, before they actually start using physical violence to stay in control, they are often constantly phoning and text messaging the object of their affections so that they know exactly what she is doing at all times.

2 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by freecocoa(f): 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2015
Ewuro4:
Greatgod please kiss

My perspective to different life situations is case by case. Therefore I share a different moral on this one , compared to different opinions I've read on this forum so far ( in regards to disagreements&Abuse in relationships)

Nevertheless, I respect everyone's opinion, yours inclusive.

My dear, men's (gays inclusive) physical makeup is likely 10x stronger than women's. If a man lands you a slap during heated argument in angst, I swear you're likely to go down in concoction.

For the record, Abuse of any kind should be widely denounced and condemned. Verbal & emotional abuse hurts more if not even than physical abuse because the thought of those hurtful words will linger in your head for the rest of your life.

Maybe my mentality is shaped in this direction because I grew up among all men and
raised by one. My Daddy said a man who hits a woman is a wussie (easy for him to say) but I say he should pack his overnight bag and take a walk. That's the kind of man I'm willing to raise. A gentleman.

Not trying to digress but The equality battle messed things up. Most relationships are 'No holds barred' now, men are not leaving any factors out in regards to being 'equal' but the truth remain that Men are not equal to women in physical strength. Men are stronger and should PLEASE restrain themselves when these tantrums starts.
( I wonder why there's one in the first place?)
My dear, for how long will he keep packing a bag? What if his wife is the type that insists he talks and tries to prevent him from walking, some people don't like to be ignored when talking to you, what do you advise him to do?

Well, we disagree on men and women not being equal, so if I hit my man first, he should hit me back and yea, I know men are physically stronger than women, this is why I will restrain myself from verbally, physically or emotionally abusing him, and if in any case he abuses me first, then he will pay for it.

8 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2015
2. Batterers do genuinely love the women they beat up: In fact, they are often obsessively in love with their girlfriends or wives, which makes them even more jealous and controlling—they just don't know the proper way to express it. They most likely grew up in a home where there was violence. Apparently Chris Brown hated when his stepfather beat up his mom.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 20, 2015
3. Batterers actually blame their girlfriends for forcing them to be violent: There's a very good chance that Chris Brown, to this day, blames Rihanna for starting the argument that left him with "no choice" but to attack her. In his mind, she had no right to look at the text message from his manager, Tina Davis. A batterer will tell himself and his girlfriend that SHE provoked the violence by looking at another guy, wearing a skirt that's too short or not cleaning up the kitchen fast enough.

http://www.yourtango.com/200913860/1-reason-guys-beat-their-girlfriends

3 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by freecocoa(f): 4:02pm On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

Are you of the opinion that men are not verbally abusive?
My dear there is no justification for physical abuse
Period!
That is the issue you ought to stress
There is absolutely no condition where a man should lift up his hand and strike a woman
We can them build from there
Many men who abuse their wives are also substance abusers
Do you know that fact?

Many are drunkards or drug abusers,smokers of substances,people with mental issues
Do you want to excuse that also?
Or you would rather not discuss that?
I am not disputing any of those facts, I'm only saying, it goes both ways.

Do you also know that, some of these women who end up getting pummeled by men, hit the man first?

Do you know that some of them lock the men's shirt? And insist on being killed than letting him walk away from the situation?

Why are you only talking about men beating women, when above 80% of the time, it is the women that hit first and expect the man not to hit back because they are supposedly the "weaker" sex?

5 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by BABE3: 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2015
moca:

R u coogar?
Cos u always appear when he appears!

If not,call him back let me finish him here.
My mouth sharp today tongue cheesy

Freecocoa is in the best position to answer that question. cheesy
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 20, 2015
freecocoa:
I am not disputing any of those facts, I'm only saying, it goes both ways.

Do you also know that, some of these women who end up getting pummeled by men, hit the man first?

Do you know that some of them lock the men's shirt? And insist on being killed than letting him walk away from the situation?
[size=18pt]
Why are you only talking about men beating women, when above 80% of the time, it is the women that hit first[/size] and expect the man not to hit back because they are supposedly the "weaker" sex?

Can you share your statistics and the source
I started off this thread with a survey that says that 2/3rd of women in subsaharan Africa have been physically abused by their significant other
Where is your source?
Your own thoughts?

2 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by freecocoa(f): 4:12pm On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

Can you share your statistics and the source
I started off this thread with a survey that says that 2/3rd of women in subsaharan Africa have been physically abused by their significant other
Where is your source?
My source is real life experiences, I believe it's actually more authentic than all these reports on the internet.grin

5 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Ewuro4: 4:14pm On Mar 20, 2015
freecocoa:
My dear, for how long will he keep packing a bag? What if his wife is the type that insists he talks and tries to prevent him from walking, some people don't like to be ignored when talking to you, what do you advise him to do?
Well, we disagree on men and women not being equal, so if I hit my man first, he should hit me back and yea, I know men are physically stronger than women, this is why I will restrain myself from verbally, physically or emotionally abusing him, and if in any case he abuses me first, then he will pay for it.

What you described up there is no more a happy marriage but a hell hole.

And begs the question : why would a gentleman marry a rascal dog with no decorum and self control?
If he has to go out everytime to cool off then both families must sit down and talk about this, afteral its not a do or die and its not acceptable to be bullied by my better half from the comfort of my home. Hia.. We must call the elders for a round table intervention abeg.

That's why its advisable to date for a while before saying I DO.

My dear, I don't get the 'opposite attract' idiom, I think its a recipe for disaster waiting to kaboom.

1 Like

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 4:19pm On Mar 20, 2015
freecocoa:
My source is real life experiences, I believe it's actually more authentic than all these reports on the internet.grin

Hahahahahahaha
I am glad you put a smiley there
Puts it in perspective
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by freecocoa(f): 4:23pm On Mar 20, 2015
BABE3:

Freecocoa is in the best position to answer that question. cheesy
Lol, moca no go there o.

These two arelipsrsealed lipsrsealed cheesy
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by freecocoa(f): 4:31pm On Mar 20, 2015
Ewuro4:

What you described up there is no more a happy marriage but a hell hole.

And begs the question : why would a gentleman marry a rascal dog with no decorum and self control?
If he has to go out everytime to cool off then both families must sit down and talk about this, afteral its not a do or die and its not acceptable to be bullied by my better half from the comfort of my home. Hia.. We must call the elders for a round table intervention abeg.

That's why its advisable to date for a while before saying I DO.

My dear, I don't get the 'opposite attract' idiom, I think its a recipe for disaster waiting to kaboom.
Ofcourse it is not a happy marriage na, verbal abuse is enough to destroy a marriage, instead of saying the man should walk away to cool off, I'd rather say, both should train themselves to avoid whatever will lead to that point.

Omo na person wey dey reason like me I dey find o cheesy, I will so not work with someone that's the opposite of me, I can't even imagine it.

2 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by freecocoa(f): 4:41pm On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

Hahahahahahaha
I am glad you put a smiley there
Puts it in perspective
But seriously though, you won't say that you don't know how hurtful words can be and how anyone can lose it, "temporary insanity" comes to mind.

I strongly believe that, cases of physical abuse will greatly reduce, if people learn to watch what they say.

2 Likes

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 20, 2015
More stats while you all blame the women
Ponder in this

(OPRAH.com) -- Every day, three women die as result of abuse -- that's nearly 1,100 killed every year. "That number might not mean anything to you...unless the woman was your mother, your sister, your daughter," Oprah Winfrey says. Young men who admit to hitting, kicking, choking and even wanting to kill the women they claim to love are opening up to Winfrey and giving an unprecedented look inside the minds of abusers.

1 Like

Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 20, 2015
From the same link above,listen to the abusive men speak
Nigerian women,stop making excuses for abuse

Sir says the first time he laid his hands on his wife, Christy, was just weeks after their wedding. He says he got jealous after a party where she was dancing with someone else.

"It set me off. I remember walking up to her and smacking her full force," Sir says. "I grabbed her by her neck, and I kind of held her against the car. Then, I walked her over to the bushes and threw her in there, and I just started choking her. It was with every bit of rage, every bit of anger I've ever had."

After the first incident of abuse, Sir says he held a gun to his head. "It was very hard for me to come to grips with the man that I was," he says. Sir promised Christy it would never happen again, and she forgave him
Though Sir swore to his wife that the abuse would stop, it continued for the next two-and-a-half years. Even while Christy was pregnant, she says Sir beat her to the point where she feared for her life. "She didn't want to be intimate with me, she didn't want to have sex with me and I got very furious," Sir says. "I got on top of her and sat on her stomach."

Though Sir can't speak for all men, he believes his own abusive behavior was triggered by his past. "Kids are precious -- they record everything," he says. "I grew up in an abusive household, so I didn't know how to verbally communicate with my wife without putting her down. I didn't know how to verbally disagree with her and say, 'We don't see eye to eye,' a
Re: Alarming Number Of Nigerian Women Think Spousal Abuse by husband is justifiable by Nobody: 4:53pm On Mar 20, 2015
Tony says a grooming process tends to take place within abusive relationships. "In a sense, you gain their trust, but it's all lust and lies. The relationship is built on deception," he says. "They feel like you love them, and when you get close enough to them, you're able to critique them and criticize them in a way that they feel like, 'He loves me, so I need to change this.'"

The grooming, Sir and Tony say, stems from the man's own lack of self-worth. "In public I'm a very confident male; at home I'm very insecure," Sir says.

The above is from another abusive man

Just like rapists,abusers groom their victims to the extent where they believe he beats them out of love or beats them out of what they did in essence it was their fault and some posters here of course agree.
Hmm.we have a long way to go
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/04/02/o.why.men.abuse.women/index.html?iref=24hours

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

My Husband Refused To Take A Second Wife, Please Separate Us, Woman Tells Court / When Your Nanny/househelp Suddenly Becomes An Ally To The Neighbours! / Group Of Divorced Nigerian Women Celebrate Initiation Of New Members (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.