Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. (70761 Views)

Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. / Checkout Photo Of Ben Murray Bruce With His Mum, Circa In 1976 / Isale Eko In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by DollyParton1(f): 11:05am On Apr 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

Whopped ya ar.ses, man. But you did win some market shouting matches with Remos though. You lot are lucky you never had to go to war with a combined Ijebu forces - we were too busy making money to be fighting anyone lool.

But we did fight the Brits though - Anglo/Ijebu war and lost somewhere around Epe.
Enlighten me, what war was this? I know of the Remo one.
But you know Egbas rarely loose any war, very good at tactical planning, right from the days of Lisabi. That Ijebu would have whooped our arses is debatable.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by macof(m): 11:15am On Apr 14, 2015
DollyParton1:

Not all of them. Egba is divided into areas, those of the Ake areas are the indigenous egba. Others are from Ibadan as you put it, they ran to egba for refuge and were accepted allocated to different areas. Thats how the name "Egba" came about, and why Alake of Egba Land is the paramount ruler of Egba. He is a first class King.

I think Ake settled in Ibadan at a time too, it shouldn't be just "others" like you said
You know the home of Egba during Lisabi's time is in modern Oyo state

Btw There's something going round that Ake are from Ketu in Benin republic..how true is this?
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by macof(m): 11:26am On Apr 14, 2015
reborn1:

You are absolutely right. The Ojoras, Onikoyis, Onirus, Aromire, Oluwas and even the Otos are just watching by the sides which is very bad.

I just don't know what is wrong with them, it's because of their inaction that People say Lagos is no man's land

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 14, 2015
macof:

I think Ake settled in Ibadan at a time too, it shouldn't be just "others" like you said

Btw There's something going round that Ake are from Ketu in Benin republic..how true is this?

Correct.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by macof(m): 11:28am On Apr 14, 2015
omonnakoda:
Things develop with need and circumstances. I tend to See Yoruba as the Lingua franca of the SW rather than language. There is a very strong human tendency to identify with Language but Jesus spoke Aramaic which was also the Linguafranca of Babylon.Who speaks it today.? Very few and it is much changed. That is the nature of the Human journey looking forward not back.I think Yoruba language is endangered We hardly read in it we don't count in it and we are not adopting it to new technologies or science or law so I think it will die out maybe not totally but it will die out before Hausa if we remain in Nigeria . That is quite clear

Another reason why Nigeria and all these colonial boarders should be dismantled
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by macof(m): 11:40am On Apr 14, 2015
hercules07:

Shymmex and his Ibadan wahala, in truth, the Olubadan is not a first class Oba if we are to go by Yoruba tradition, he owes his allegiance to the Alaafin of Oyo. The Alaafin is the first of first class obas, he is followed by his brothers, as far as I am concerned the Ooni is not a first class Oba by our tradition, he is a babalawo or chief priest. The awujale should be accorded his rights as a first class Oba by Yoruba tradition as the ijebus were not really part of the hinterland yorubas and were great warriors.
OMG! shocked this ignorance on the throne of Ife is bigger than I thought

Do you know?
1. Oduduwa throne is occupied by the Ooni aka Olufe
2. The first person titled "Ooni" Adimula was a descendant of Oduduwa, Infact heir to the throne even before his birth but some people wanted to cheat him off his birthright just because his mother was a slave
3. Oranmiyan returned to Ife and became Ooni
4. All Ooni since then share common descent from Lajamisan son of Oranmiyan...that's why many regard this as Lajamisan Dynasty

People please, Ife people wouldn't have let any tom, dick and Harry become King ...even today Adimula's name is not in the list of Oonis because not all people accepted him

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 14, 2015
Hanibal:
when Oyo was an empire, all of yoruba land was under the Alaafin.
including the Ijebus although they were rebels.... It was the rebellion of the Ekitis and Ijeshas that led to the famous Kiriji war.
As for Oranmiyan... he ruled in Oyo Ajaka... not in the present day Oyo ile.
Oranmiyan was long dead before Oyo became an empire.
Okay... maybe U will agree with me if I said Alaafin "was once" the paramount ruler of yoruba land.
cant go into the historical detail of the Ibaribas... too lazy to type sorry.

This man, you keep spreading falsehood or ignorance. Maybr both.

Oranmiyan laid the foundation for empire building for being a firebrand king who leaned towards military power. This was what Sango followed through on which is brother was desposed for but upon reinstatement, he chose the path laid out.

Present Oyo was known as Ago Oja. It was never Oyo Ile. Oyo Ile is towards the Niger river.

Rebellion of Ekitiparapo was not connected to Oyo empire-ship but rather the fight for balance of power against Ibadan forces after Oyo had already collapsed.

Stop the falsehood.

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by macof(m): 12:09pm On Apr 14, 2015
Hanibal:
when Oyo was an empire, all of yoruba land was under the Alaafin.
including the Ijebus although they were rebels.... It was the rebellion of the Ekitis and Ijeshas that led to the famous Kiriji war.
As for Oranmiyan... he ruled in Oyo Ajaka... not in the present day Oyo ile.
Oranmiyan was long dead before Oyo became an empire.
Okay... maybe U will agree with me if I said Alaafin "was once" the paramount ruler of yoruba land.
cant go into the historical detail of the Ibaribas... too lazy to type sorry.

You obviously know nothing about Ekiti.
When I say not all Ekiti was under Oyo, best you make ur research if it's too strange for you to believe

Let me tell you the major Ekiti Towns Oyo put into tributary
Aramoko, Ijero, Ido, Osi & Ifaki (which were under Ido), Igede etc. all in western Ekiti.. places like ado, ikere, ikole, oye were never under Oyo

Ekiti Parapo was formed to fight off Ibadan who were terrorising the place trying to pick off from where Oyo stopped, Oyo empire was down already ..before this time Ekiti was not one nation but 16 different nations plus Ijesa

aren't Oyo ajaka and Oyo-ile the same

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by logica(m): 12:19pm On Apr 14, 2015
tonychristopher:

at the end u didn't refute his claims ..u just ranted

yoruba was coined by derogatory word by hausa ....Yoruba!

prove the submission wrong
You obviously have a serious mental illness that makes you seek out everything to do with Yoruba and try to ridicule. I will advise you move out of Yoruba land before you are found out and dealt with outside of cyberspace.

Now, to the matter. The Oyo people had referred to their language as Yoruba; which the Hausa people tend to pronounce as Yarba. But then some mischievous ones (Hausa) intentionally mispronounce this as "YAR BAWA" which means "children of slaves" (it is the same "YAR" you see in "Yar Adua" ) rather than "YORUBAWA" meaning "Yoruba people". The Hausas did not give us our name; they simply popularized our name because they had a written culture (Ajami) before us.

http://archive.org/stream/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john_djvu.txt

The only written record we have on this subject is that of the
Sultan Belo of Sokoto, the founder of that city, the most learned
if not the most powerful of the Fulani sovereigns that ever bore
rule in the Soudan.

Capt. Clapperton {Travels and Discoveries in Northern and Central
Africa, 1822 — 1824) made the acquaintance of this monarch.
From a large geographical and historical work by him, Capt.
Clapperton made a copious extract, from which the following is
taken : — " Yarba is an extensive province containing rivers,
forests, sands and mountains, as also a great many wonderful
and extraordinary things. In it, the talking green bird called
babaga (parrot) is found."

" By the side of this province there is an anchorage or harbour
for the ships of the Christians, who used to go there and purchase
slaves. These slaves were exported from our country and sold
to the people of Yarba, who resold them to the Christians."

" The inhabitants of this province (Yarba) it is supposed
originated from the remnant of the children of Canaan, who were
of the tribe of Nimrod. The cause of their establishment in the
West of Africa was, as it is stated, in consequence of their being
driven by Yar-rooba, son of Kahtan, out of Arabia to the Western
Coast between Egypt and Abyssinia. From that spot they
advanced into the interior of Africa, till they reach Yarba where
they fixed their residence. On their way they left in every place
they stopped at, a tribe of their own people. Thus it is supposed
that all the tribes of the Soudan who inhabit the mountains are
originated from them as also are the inhabitants of Ya-ory. Upon
the whole, the people of Yarba are nearly of the same description
as those of Noofee (Nupe)^"
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by herbiolla: 12:19pm On Apr 14, 2015
Why Buy Used Laptops when you can get a new one for the same price as a used one?

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by macof(m): 12:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
9jacrip:

How did they drop?
I'm curious.

Maybe Olowu because of the original Owu town getting sacked but upon migration to Owu Ipole, they took their crown with which is still in use.

The crown which was originally given by Oduduwa himself to Olowu and with Olowu being the son of the first child of Oduduwa makes Olowu office a first class. The egbon of every other king.

well in Egbaland, Alake is mostly taken above Olowu because of the Owu's late coming to the area and it was Alake that gave permission for their stay
How far can Olowu claim first class in Yorubaland when Alake assumed first class position is debatable

you know it's a horrible thing for your kingdom to get utterly destroyed, same happened to onipopo
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 12:59pm On Apr 14, 2015
DollyParton1:

Enlighten me, what war was this? I know of the Remo one.
But you know Egbas rarely loose any war, very good at tactical planning, right from the days of Lisabi. That Ijebu would have whooped our arses is debatable.

Lol. Why are you shocked with ya mouth wide open? You lot didn't even fight the mighty Ijebu Kingdom - you fought with Ijebu settlements in Ibadan, and ya arses got kicked out like the ancient Egyptians did the Hyskos. grin Now imagine what a war with proper Ijebu Kingdom would've done to the Egbas - total annihilation. And all the market shouting matches you won against the Remos are inconsequential - that's like Ijebu Kingdom fighting just one part of the three Egba subdivisions. I'm sure you do know Ijebu is divided into three (or four if Ijebu Igbo can be classified as another subdivision): proper Ijebu, Remo, and Ijebu-waterside. tongue

Shyte, this is reminiscent of my YPB days as a young teen when I was still a knucklehead before I had to do a 180 and get an education. Darn! We used to chase muthaphuckas off their blocks with the NARM massive (fire house crew, NPE, RR etc.) - just the same way the Ibadan-Ijebus chased the Egbas off their homelands in Ibadan - to somewhere under-the-rock. grin grin

Anyway, I'm just messing about - you do know I'm a quarter Egba from my maternal side, and quarter Remo - so I can't be clowning part of me, ya dig. But that war gave "MsNas" the audacity to start running her mouth, claiming Ibadan with her flat batty - when she should be from Afonja-land in Ilorin - bowing down to an Emir. grin grin Jk Jk Jk.

In case you want to argue those facts - this is from an Egba source on the web (I can post proper academic sources if you want):

ABEOKUTA WAS FOUNDED in 1830 after the intertribal wars ravaged refugees in Egba forest from their original homes between 1817 and 1830. The name of the town "ABEOKUTA" was derived from the protection which the fleeing settlers sought under the Olumo Rock, now a tourist center in the town. Abeokuta means 'the refugees under a rock', signifying the protection which the Olumo Rock offered the refugees from possible attacks. The first and major of these series of internecine wars was the one which broke out as a result of an incident at Apomu Market, now in the Irewolede Local Government area of Osun State. In 1821, an Owu man who sold alligator peppers was at Apomu Market selling his wares. He laid them out in piles containing 200 peppers each. An Ijebu woman came to the market and purchased a pile. She did not verify on the spot the correctness of the number of peppers in the pile she selected, but found it convenient to do counting on reaching home. She claimed to find only 199, which meant that one was missing.

The Ijebu woman went back to the market to accost the Owu man over the one pepper by which the portion she selected was less, and demanded restitution of the missing one. But the Owu man objected, maintaining that he was sure of his own count. The argument over this single pepper developed into an open quarrell between the two of them. Later, it blew out into a fracas in which people of Owu and Ijebu clans in the market took sides with their kith and kin. Sectional sentiments soon became whipped up into open confrontation in which a life was lost and several people were injured.

Each side went home to narrate to their Oba, chiefs and townsmen the events of the day. As would be expected, each group took umbrage over what it considered to be a raw deal from the opposing camp. Within a matter of days, the fight over a single alligator pepper had resulted into a total war in which the Owu and Ijebu peoples threw caution to the winds and restored to open arms. Before this incident, the people of Ife had suffered defeats in the hands of the Owu people, and the Ijebu had similarly been routed by the Owu in a war fought over the slave trading.

Now, both the Ife and Ijebu saw the opportunity to settle scores with the Owu by joining forces to face the Owu. Even the remnants of the Oyo forces, just returned from their mission to repel a Fulani invasion, and who were by then mere lay-about, teamed up with Ife and Ijebu forces. The combined attack of the Ife-Ijebu-Oyo coalition forced the Owu homeland to fall after a long siege, and the events following this catastrophe gave birth to the founding of Abeokuta a few years after.

The fall of the Owu homeland was quickly followed by the fall of some other Egba towns, each being sacked in succession by the alliance of the Ife-Ijebu-Oyo forces.

[b]The Egba towns which had folded their arms while the Owu people fought alone, now became victims of the ravening wolves represented by these rallies. The only pity of it was that among the first to fall was Ikija. Ikija was attacked because its people stood by the Owu people in the war of 'Alligator Pepper'. Before long, many Egba towns also fell and all the survivors eventually sought refuge in Abeokuta after a few years, and thus made Abeokuta their permanent place of sojourn.

Their decision to leave Ibadan for Abeokuta was nowever informed by the hostility of the Oyo, Ife and Ijebu, with whom they shared sojourn in Ibadan. Lamodi, a warrior of note, was credited with the initiative for the migration to Abeokuta, although he himself never saw the Promised Land because he died on the way. He was at the time the Balogun of the Egba people. Sodeke, who was then the Seriki of the Egba, took over and led the first wave of immigration to Abeokuta in 1830. Bringing up the rear of the migrants to Abeokuta were the Owu people in about the year 1834. Some others also came later.[/b]

http://www.egbaprogressive.org/history_of_abeokuta.php
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 14, 2015
macof:

well in Egbaland, Alake is mostly taken above Olowu because of the Owu's late coming to the area and it was Alake that gave permission for their stay
How far can Olowu claim first class in Yorubaland when Alake assumed first class position is debatable

you know it's a horrible thing for your kingdom to get utterly destroyed, same happened to onipopo

Olowu is first class because the crown given to the first Olowu by Oduduwa remains at Owu Ipole, an ancient Owu town after or before (depends on the direction you're coming from) Ikire, Apomu and Ikoyi.

Oyo ile was destroyed but Alaafin at ago oja is regarded as first class because he retains the crown still.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:16pm On Apr 14, 2015
9jacrip:

Apt.
Like you, I also want more discoveries to be made in that town. There is much more than what is recorded in the books.

Univeristies keep churning our historians amd none is grabbing the opportunity to break grounds in Ife history - myself inclusive cheesy

Historians can't really do much - we need archaeologists and anthropologists. Historians just tell stories.

I was planning to do a course in anthropology a few years ago, just to broaden my knowledge scope on African history. Hopefully, I might get involved in both archaeology and anthropology in future, when I have more time.

It isn't even about just the study - you can also make loads of money off discoveries as well. That's what a lot folks don't know. For excavation, you don't need to much. Just a couple of folks with expertise in the field; folks from the town with adequate knowledge of the history and places where things happened so as to know where to excavate; and a few labourers to dig things up. After that, you can then connect the dots with further research.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:19pm On Apr 14, 2015
kolaaderin:

Been a first class king is not by the size and civilisation of ur territory but by the historical and ancestorial relivant of ur domain. The alafin of Oyo, oni of ife,oba of benin and the rest classified as first class king govern over territory believed to be the actual origin of Yoruba race and they have been having crowned kings right from the formation of the tribe itself long before the advent of the new cities like Ibadan and Lagos as we know it. I hope I have put a bit light to ur query.

How do you define relevance? 19th century relevance - or the ones that existed before then, and their achievements?

Despite the fact that Owo was a Bini vassal, I honestly think the King of Owo should be rated above a lot of those other kings based on its artworks alone.

Eko is inconsequential as far as I'm concerned. Ditto Egbas and all those other folks under Oyo, who started having Kingship in the 19th century.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:22pm On Apr 14, 2015
hercules07:

Ijebus held their own not the Egbas, infact, some of the battles were Ibadan warriors defending ijebu towns against Egba/Ijebu warriors.

I think that was cos the Ijebus were supplying Ibadan with more than enough weapons. The Egbas on the other hand were getting weapons from the Baptist Church and Christian missionaries.

Katsumoto needs to come here to enlighten us. grin

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:24pm On Apr 14, 2015
DollyParton1:

Yea we are warriors!!! So don't cross me tongue tongue tongue
Amma whoop ur Ijebu arse tongue tongue tongue

Egbas were smart enough to accept anyone that comes to them for refuge. They increased their army and gathered varieties of ideas. And ultimately the great Olumo rock served as a very good hiding place.

Loool.

The only badonkadonk getting pummeled and conquered is yours. Don't let this physical specimen get hold of that, and put that thang on fire. grin tongue lipsrsealed
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by DollyParton1(f): 1:43pm On Apr 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Why are you shocked with ya mouth wide open? You lot didn't even fight the mighty Ijebu Kingdom - you fought with Ijebu settlements in Ibadan, and ya arses got kicked out like the ancient Egyptians did the Hyskos. grin Now imagine what a war with proper Ijebu Kingdom would've done to the Egbas - total annihilation. And all the market shouting matches you won against the Remos are inconsequential - that's like Ijebu Kingdom fighting just one part of the three Egba subdivisions. I'm sure you do know Ijebu is divided into three (or four if Ijebu Igbo can be classified as another subdivision): proper Ijebu, Remo, and Ijebu-waterside. tongue

Shyte, this is reminiscent of my YPB days as a young teen when I was still a knucklehead before I had to do a 180 and get an education. Darn! We used to chase muthaphuckas off their blocks with the NARM massive (fire house crew, NPE, RR etc.) - just the same way the Ibadan-Ijebus chased the Egbas off their homelands in Ibadan - to somewhere under-the-rock. grin grin

Anyway, I'm just messing about - you do know I'm a quarter Egba from my maternal side, and quarter Remo - so I can't be clowning part of me, ya dig. But that war gave "MsNas" the audacity to start running her mouth, claiming Ibadan with her flat batty - when she should be from Afonja-land in Ilorin - bowing down to an Emir. grin grin Jk Jk Jk.

In case you want to argue those facts - this is from an Egba source on the web (I can post proper academic sources if you want):

Lol... Y'all went up and gang up on the Egbas, after dealing with the Owus.
Firstly Egba did not wage war against you, yall went and attack Egba that were minding their businesses.
Secondly y'all wicked arses of Oyo, Ife and Ijebu had to combine forces to fight the Egbas. You know u can't conquer Egbas independently. So that alligator pepper war u are referring to is not an exclusive Ijebu- Egba war.

I read about an Ijebu-Egba after the Egbas settled in Abeokuta. But am yet to find any details on it.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by DollyParton1(f): 1:46pm On Apr 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Loool.

The only badonkadonk getting pummeled and conquered is yours. Don't let this physical specimen get hold of that, and put that thang on fire. grin tongue lipsrsealed

Yarning like a typical Ijebu boy. Dang!!! All u Ijebu males make too much mouth.

You know, you can't touch this. You can only dream.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:49pm On Apr 14, 2015
DollyParton1:

Lol... Y'all went up and gang up on the Egbas, after dealing with the Owus.
Firstly Egba did not wage war against you, yall went and attack Egba that were minding their businesses.
Secondly y'all wicked arses of Oyo, Ife and Ijebu had to combine forces to fight the Egbas. You know u can't conquer Egbas independently. So that alligator pepper war u are referring to is not an exclusive Ijebu- Egba war.

I read about an Ijebu-Egba after the Egbas settled in Abeokuta. But am yet to find any details on it.

Lol.

All is fair in a war! When the allied forces took on the Nazis, why didn't anyone give the same excuses? Ditto the Korean war, with over 20 countries taking on one country? Gulf wars? NATO combined forces and all its wars?

Moreover those were Ijebu settlements in Ibadan, not the Kingdom. So, no excuses - take the big L like a G, with the arse whopping. grin

Egbas never fought the Ijebu Kingdom - the Kingdom was too busy making money via trades to be fighting anyone. You fought the Remos and a a couple of Ijebu towns on the fringes. grin grin
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 1:52pm On Apr 14, 2015
DollyParton1:

Yarning like a typical Ijebu boy. Dang!!! All u Ijebu males make too much mouth.

You know, you can't touch this. You can only dream.

Nah, Ijebu males don't talk too much - we just stamp our authority everywhere like Gs. Ali G!!! tongue

Touching and conquering that like the Ijebus did the Egbas in Ibadan. grin grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by DollyParton1(f): 1:55pm On Apr 14, 2015
macof:

Yea you are right. Was referring to the massive migration that gave birth to the modern Egba/Abeokuta kingdom.

Never heard anything about Ake being from Ketu before. I have to find out.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 14, 2015
9jacrip:

Wicked? No.
Looking out for the interest of hos people? Yes.
Did Ife have an army? No.
Did Modakeke have an army? The larger population of the migrabts were warriors in old Oyo.
Were the Modakeke forced to leave at a point? Yes.
An Ooni (I think Abewela) whose Mother was Oyo invited them to co-habit, an idea the Ife rejected. He was killed and his family line to the throne was banned from becoming Ooni ever again.
The conflict that erupted between 1997/8 to 2000/1 was fought to Ife's victory. Map was redrawn; many Ife lands were taken back and many farm lands used by Modakeke are now back with their original owners - all these and more make Modakeke sore right now and are itching for another face off. cheesy.

Despite your Oyo, Ode Omu, Gbongan and Oyo/Modakeke settlers in Ikire, Apomu and Ikoyi. Ife still recorded victory, the tide has changed, many Ife people are now involved and undeniable support from Ijesa tongue.

Tell your Alaafin to send his team again, we full ground.
You are correct. There is even a major road in Ife that leads to modakeke called abewela. My great grandmother's house is on that road, she was modakeke. It got burnt during the last war.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by DollyParton1(f): 2:11pm On Apr 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol.

All is fair in a war! When the allied forces took on the Nazis, why didn't anyone give the same excuses? Ditto the Korean war, with over 20 countries taking on one country? Gulf wars? NATO combined forces and all its wars?

Moreover those were Ijebu settlements in Ibadan, not the Kingdom. So, no excuses - take the big L like a G, with the arse whopping. grin

Egbas never fought the Ijebu Kingdom - the Kingdom was too busy making money via trades to be fighting anyone. You fought the Remos and a a couple of Ijebu towns on the fringes. grin grin

You can't take the "glory" that comes with the victory of the "alligator pepper" war for the Ijebus only. Moreover, you lot were just an instrument in the hand of the Oyo Empire to push the Egba out of the vicinity of the Oyo Kingdom. Since the Egbas liberated themselves from the grips of the Old Oyo Empire, I guess it was just an opportunity for Oyo to unleash their terror on the group that represents the birth of revolution and liberation.

Ijebu also went to couple of wars at some times. Yall weren't focusing on making money only.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by DollyParton1(f): 2:19pm On Apr 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Nah, Ijebu males don't talk too much - we just stamp our authority everywhere like Gs. Ali G!!! tongue

Touching and conquering that like the Ijebus did the Egbas in Ibadan. grin grin grin grin

I hear you. Sometimes the illusion feels too real. tongue tongue
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 2:31pm On Apr 14, 2015
DollyParton1:

I hear you. Sometimes the illusion feels too real. tongue tongue

Lol. Illusion is for sissies who thrive on building castles in the air. I'm an emperor and I rule with an iron fist and speak with authority - so my word will always be my bond loool.

You are easy work - too bad you are too far away right now. grin
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by SirShymexx: 2:40pm On Apr 14, 2015
DollyParton1:

You can't take the "glory" that comes with the victory of the "alligator pepper" war for the Ijebus only. Moreover, you lot were just an instrument in the hand of the Oyo Empire to push the Egba out of the vicinity of the Oyo Kingdom. Since the Egbas liberated themselves from the grips of the Old Oyo Empire, I guess it was just an opportunity for Oyo to unleash their terror on the group that represents the birth of revolution and liberation.

Ijebu also went to couple of wars at some times. Yall weren't focusing on making money only.

Lol. But US always claim the glory for allied forces - and that war was orchestrated by Ijebu settlements in Ibadan. Can you see the similarities now?

Just take ya L - you win some and lose some. Too bad Ijebus inflicted the greatest loss in Egba history on you lot in Ibadan, and sent you under the rock. grin

I need to stop now before the Egba genes in my DNA starts fighting kiriji war with the dominant Ijebu genes loool.

I don't know about the whole Ijebu Kingdom going to war with anyone, apart from the Anglo/Ijebu war. I don't think it is documented. But I will like to read about it cos all the ones I have seen were just about different Ijebu/Remo towns - not the whole kingdom. Ijebus were never imperial - just traders in an isolated kingdom surrounded by a moat, making money and selling stuffs.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by tonychristopher: 4:21pm On Apr 14, 2015
Pls I didn't ridicle Yoruba I just told you to simply refute his claims . why are you daft

I told you to tell us how Yoruba came about the names instead of calling people names

Grow up Biko

logica:
You obviously have a serious mental illness that makes you seek out everything to do with Yoruba and try to ridicule. I will advise you move out of Yoruba land before you are found out and dealt with outside of cyberspace.

Now, to the matter. The Oyo people had referred to their language as Yoruba; which the Hausa people tend to pronounce as Yarba. But then some mischievous ones (Hausa) intentionally mispronounce this as "YAR BAWA" which means "children of slaves" (it is the same "YAR" you see in "Yar Adua" ) rather than "YORUBAWA" meaning "Yoruba people". The Hausas did not give us our name; they simply popularized our name because they had a written culture (Ajami) before us.

http://archive.org/stream/historyofyorubas00john/historyofyorubas00john_djvu.txt

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by logica(m): 4:24pm On Apr 14, 2015
tonychristopher:
Pls I didn't ridicle Yoruba I just told you to simply refute his claims . why are you daft

I told you to tell us how Yoruba came about the names instead of calling people names

Grow up Biko

Your FATHER is daft. See who is telling me to grow up. I have your antecedents on hand - from moping about how a Yoruba boss fired you (for being extremely daft like your FATHER that is). Or you've forgotten? You better fvck off before I use your entire lineage to wipe the floor.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by codedslayer: 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2015
[s]
tonychristopher:

Grow up Biko

[/s]

See this hediot spewing trash everywhere. You are always on any Yoruba thread to post your trash and show your frustration, you have been bitter since your Yoruba landlord chased you and that skinny ugly thing out of his house. Be a man and face your life challenges instead of looking for any Yoruba thread to pass your frustration.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Historians can't really do much - we need archaeologists and anthropologists. Historians just tell stories.

I was planning to do a course in anthropology a few years ago, just to broaden my knowledge scope on African history. Hopefully, I might get involved in both archaeology and anthropology in future, when I have more time.

It isn't even about just the study - you can also make loads of money off discoveries as well. That's what a lot folks don't know. For excavation, you don't need to much. Just a couple of folks with expertise in the field; folks from the town with adequate knowledge of the history and places where things happened so as to know where to excavate; and a few labourers to dig things up. After that, you can then connect the dots with further research.

The Nigerian educational system churns out a whole load of graduates from various disciplines and the usual, they follow the cycle of waiting on global north to invent, propound, validate or invalidate before they do anything. The era of professionals who drove Nigeria in different fields is long gone - the system and environment does not give room for 'outside the box' type of mind state and even if you dare to, you will be shot down quickly.

I'm with you on this but carrying out a research of such magnitude in Nigeria requires a whole lot of paper but it can be done regardless.
Re: Picture Of Eleko Of Eko, In London, England Circa, 1950s. by macof(m): 5:58pm On Apr 14, 2015
9jacrip:

Olowu is first class because the crown given to the first Olowu by Oduduwa remains at Owu Ipole, an ancient Owu town after or before (depends on the direction you're coming from) Ikire, Apomu and Ikoyi.

Oyo ile was destroyed but Alaafin at ago oja is regarded as first class because he retains the crown still.
Honestly I don't know much about Owu..their settlements are so many and I don't quite understand their migratory pattern but one thing I know is that Olowu resides in Abeokuta where Alake serves as foremost ruler
It's a big blow for the Olowu

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Breakdown Of What President Buhari, Osinbajo Will Receive As Salaries/allowances / Atiku Abubakar Wears N1 Million Louis Vuitton Shoes To PDP Convention / Buhari, Jonathan, Shonekan, Obasanjo, Abdulsalami Abubakar Meet In Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.