Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,484 members, 7,840,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) (65106 Views)

The Last Outing Of Abacha With Yasir Arafat - In Picture / James Ocholi's Son Last Instagram Post Before His Death(photo) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) by oweniwe(m): 6:51am On May 11, 2015
tolababa:

He used the glasses to cover symptoms of liver cirrhosis
oh.... too much drinking ...
Nigeria ' s problems can drive any president mad
Re: Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) by neutrotoba(m): 7:42am On May 11, 2015
omenka:
Nope, it is "to be corrected" when you haven't been "corrected". You can only say "I stand corrected" when you've been corrected and are admitting you were wrong after all. Understand?? smiley
Mister! "I Stand Corrected" is an idiomatic expression, It's not a statement that you can twist or inflect to add tense or any other grammatical information, and yes it is only used when admitting to a mistake.

"I stand to be corrected" may have been used overtime because of Nigerians' wish to apply it to the context whereby one is not sure of the authenticity of what they have said, but it is ultimately ungrammatical, and it should be termed "Nigerian english"! Thanks
Re: Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) by anwe: 8:58am On May 11, 2015
Nigerians keep saying Abacha was evil because he is dead. Why destroy the dead ? At least he restored our economy though his human right record was bad. Its still our politicians that advised him. How many of our (rtd) PRESIDENT, HEAD OF STATES & GENERALS that are worst than Abacha are still walking & no one is pointing accusing at them & their families or are we waiting for empirical evidence or are we waiting for their demise to speak out.
Re: Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) by omenka(m): 10:13am On May 11, 2015
neutrotoba:
Mister! "I Stand Corrected" is an idiomatic expression, It's not a statement that you can twist or inflect to add tense or any other grammatical information, and yes it is only used when admitting to a mistake.

"I stand to be corrected" may have been used overtime because of Nigerians' wish to apply it to the context whereby one is not sure of the authenticity of what they have said, but it is ultimately ungrammatical, and it should be termed "Nigerian english"! Thanks
Oga, I didn't use it as an idiom, it was a statement I made. What's your problem For instance, "letting a cat out of the bag" is an idiom, does it mean one can't use it when literally saying a cat was let out a bag

Abeg shift go one side. You don't come anywhere close to where I stand in spoken english. That's a fact.
Re: Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) by ApexTitan(m): 10:54am On May 11, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Maybe because of this!

If not for the human right abuse and his dictatorship he would have been one of Nigeria best leader. Abacha is a discipline man, the first Nigerian soldier to attain the rank of a full General without skipping a single rank. Oh! Abacha why did you do this to yourself? Now you are remembered for nothing but a shameless thief and dictator sad...

If not of his dictatorship and human rights abuses Abacha could have been one of the best Nigerian leaders? Really? You mean if he was democratically elected and had a stellar human rights record the £5 billion pounds that he stole wouldn't stop you from calling him one of the best Nigerian leaders?

During Abacha's regime, he and his family reportedly stole a total of £5 billion from the country's coffers.[12] In 2004, Abacha was listed as the fourth most corrupt leader in history.
That's from the same wiki page you cited.

I think it's because we currently have another an ex coup plotter as president that's why you people continually try to paint these men as anything but the sore blight to Nigeria's development that they represented.

Any government that comes into being by force is inherently selfish no matter the lofty ideals it claims to abide by. Whatever fiscal good that resulted from Abacha's rule can never undo the overall harm the nation suffered. Abacha, like all the past military rulers in this country, will remain a tyrant in the pages of Nigeria's history.

Stop this romanticisation of military rule.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) by neutrotoba(m): 11:54am On May 11, 2015
omenka:
Oga, I didn't use it as an idiom, it was a statement I made. What's your problem For instance, "letting a cat out of the bag" is an idiom, does it mean one can't use it when literally saying a cat was let out a bag

Abeg shift go one side. You don't come anywhere close to where I stand in spoken english. That's a fact.
Brother... your command on english might be top notch, but you are clearly lacking in the morals department
Re: Gen. Sani Abacha With Yasser Arafat A Day Before His Death (photo) by maximunimpact(m): 9:07pm On May 05, 2021
Up till now, the man face still de make
me fear grin

BUHARI my HERO!
AMEACHI my ROLE MODEL!!
FASHOLA my GUY!!!

God bless Nairaland.

How far guy? cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

James Ibori Arrives Oghara In Delta State, Welcomed By Crowd (Photos) / Pro-Biafran's Outfit To Diamond Bank In Enugu (Photos) / Fayose Eats At NYSC Camp, Ise Ekiti (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.