Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36231 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 10:47am On Jun 26, 2011
it is useful to go to school but yes that is not the end of the story.

anyway matriculation [/b]and [b]convocation are completely different ceremonies,which is more important ?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 26, 2011
Oh puhleeeeze: the article is from Ikechukwu Agbor. The guy writes about nothing but Biafra and hes one of the mods on Igboworld forum.
His articles have always been tribalistic, and hes no better than our own Musiwa or Becomricho here.
Abeg pay this guy and poster the least of attention jo cool
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 12:41pm On Jun 26, 2011
well if what he say is true we should not shy away .the question is;is it the WHOLE truth?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by nwabobo: 1:22pm On Jun 26, 2011
hollandis:

Na by to go school If we like ,let the whole Nigerians get admission.We will continually lag behind ,as long as you are schooling in Nigeria,you can never be a world changer

Can you please remind us of the schools Dora Akunyili, Soludo, Ezekwesili attended. While @ that , you might as well tell us which scool BANKole attended, thanks.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by nwabobo: 1:26pm On Jun 26, 2011
This might make an interesting read.

http://www.unrisd.org/80256B3C005BCCF9/(httpAuxPages)/C6A23857BA3934CCC12572CE0024BB9E/$file/Mustapha.pdf
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by TM2: 1:56pm On Jun 26, 2011
It is so painful to know that I live in a country where everybody hates me and detests my culture and tribe. They say that I am dirty, they say I eat too much oil, they cant eat my stew because it is soup to them, they even say that I added too much pepper. They say I eat something that resembles black soap. They even say I dont know how to dress, in fact, they say that my sisters are too fat! And now they say I dont have brain and my people dont go to school.

I served in the east and everyday I spent in a town near Owerri is memorable. And for several years after I tell people I want to marry an Igbo girl, it is not that I never sae something I dont quite appreciate in them, but does where you come from define who you are? It puzzled my landlady and her children that everybody in my nuclear and extended family is a university graduate. They wont stop rubbing my meager allowance on my face when their son sends in money from China. But I still love them and we still communicate after 6 years. They think the only place I know outside "ibadan" is their village. (The only reason I know about Ibadan is because I went to school there, but did i need to tell the that or that I have been to almost all the states in Nigeria) The felt I am not as smart as their sons because they have larger farmlands and I cant climb the palm tree and I was thought how to ride a bicycle by a 12 year old girl. I think they ought to pardon my laziness and underexposure to their kind of civilization. The even think that I am lazy but that is why I went to school, and I have no regrets. They felt I am duller than I actually am, because I dint have to show to them how quickly I learned the language. May be I should have been more expressive and let them know that it is not every soup they cooked or every meal made of breadfruit tasted as great as they think. But I appreciated that they offered me a piece of their culture, tradition and heritage, I just wish they were willing to accept mine, but sad they they thought mine and even me are inferior.

It is noteworthy that I got a recommendation from Prof. Humphrey Anyawu after my service year, and they dint know that was far desirable then what they expected of the famous Nigerian that lived next door. The notably most educated man in the community is disliked because of his "aka superglue".

My perception of Imo State is that there are more girls in schools than boys, I have not statistics for that but I have regular visits to Alvan Ikoku College of Education, and out of 36 student teachers posted to the school where I served, only 2 are male. That was fascinating.

Whatever you say, I will forever be proud to be a Yoruba man. And you will never have the gut to beat me in what I do for as long as you think you are better than me. Shame on you! The problem is not the tribe you come from, it is what tribalism has made of you.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 3:57pm On Jun 26, 2011
These things ought to be easy. I wrote recently to the NYSC using my real name and position asking for data for NYSC participation, state by state, but 3 months after no response.

Anecdotally, if you walk into any university in Nigeria, you always find more Igbos, apart from people in whose region the university is located. Just walk into Unilag, LASU and U.I. etc, look around comparatively for Igbos versus Yoruba. Do the same for UNN, FUTO and Unizik, look around for Yorubas versus Igbos. What do you see?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 3:58pm On Jun 26, 2011
This piece of info from Dibu Ojerinde, head of JAMB is also a pointer to some unfolding scenario

Out of 1.4 million candidates that sat for the examination, a total of 99,195 chose University of Lagos.

Other universities with high demands include Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, with 89,760 applications; University of Nigeria, Nsukka, 88,177; Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, 84,719; and University of Benin with 80,976.

More here http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52432:poor-performance-trails-jamb-result&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

So preference is in that order:

Lagos (Yeah! Where  Nigerians from all walks of life cohabit)
ABU
UNN
UniZik
Benin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 4:54pm On Jun 26, 2011
the information is online and has been for years.people want to be spoonfed all the time .
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 4:57pm On Jun 26, 2011
you find more igbos if you are looking for more igbos.fact is there are more abokis than igbos in the NYSC
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 4:59pm On Jun 26, 2011
I wonder what happens between enrolment and graduation .
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 5:01pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

you find more igbos if you are looking for more igbos.fact is there are more abokis than igbos in the NYSC
Buahahah!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 5:02pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

the information is online and has been for years.people want to be spoonfed all the time .

Jo! Spoon-feed us one more time. O se pupo.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 5:03pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

I wonder what happens between enrolment and graduation .

Whatever happens between then happens across the board.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 5:08pm On Jun 26, 2011
I was a corper myself and most of fellow campers then were Igbos. Guess where I served? Osun State.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by nwabobo: 5:16pm On Jun 26, 2011
aribisala0:

This must be the biggest joke of the century.

aribisala, hope u r not the coup plotter's (Bisala) son
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 5:19pm On Jun 26, 2011
nwabobo:

This must be the biggest joke of the century.

aribisala, hope u r not the coup plotter's (Bisala) son

He is lol
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 5:47pm On Jun 26, 2011
self deception is the most effective . keep believing that amu nnagi is the biggest if that makes you feel good about yasef
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2011
[b]self denial [/b]is a cancer that you should remove
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 6:04pm On Jun 26, 2011
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2011
^^^^^^

Thanks for the data. At least you have made some effort at spoon-feeding us. The info in it is very diverse and large. I do not know what you want argued from all of that. I presume it is on the topic of this thread, at least at the university level. If so, let me make some points clear:

1. Application to study at  the university is different from actual admittance and graduation
1. Admittance to universities in Nigeria is based on three factors
  a. JAMB score
  b. Post-JAMB interview by respective universities
  c. Availability of position.

Per # 3, all the reports available online by Dibu Ojerinde (Head of JAMB) made it clear that less than 10000 of applicants can be admitted out of almost a million who take the exams, due to lack of space.

So even from your own link, but also from this thread, it is established that SE has more applicants than SW
What is not established is who is actually admitted more and who graduates more

Again, admittance is subject to space, foremost, among the other two factors listed above.

Now let's see who is admitted most and who graduates most.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 7:55pm On Jun 26, 2011
^^^^^^^ Data coming

ADMISSION INTO NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES BY STATE OF ORIGIN AND SEX, 2003/2004-
2007/2008 (Note state of origin)

From info in this data (click below), the SE leads the SW and others in admittance based on state of origin

Now on who graduates?

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by seanet02: 7:58pm On Jun 26, 2011
Yoruba has always been ahead of you educationally, how many universities dey iboland sef? Ogun state has almost what the whole east has gotten. Stop your delusions
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 8:02pm On Jun 26, 2011
the data is all there goon.you think say na to chop isi-ewu just admit yourcerebral processor is too dull
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 8:09pm On Jun 26, 2011
having a nigerian degree these days means nothing as a half-baked dimwit like you illustrates . you remind me of the dog chasing a bus;what's he gonna do when he catches it? drive it?
dullard! ewu "i go school "
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 8:12pm On Jun 26, 2011
On who graduates: I see NYSC playing games, not wanting to establish state of origin of corpers in their data. Data is based on state of service from what I can glean from it.

NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORP (NYSC) DISTRIBUTION BY STATE AND BY
SEX 2006-2008 (note no state or origin mentioned)

So that leaves us still in speculation as to who graduates from universities

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 8:13pm On Jun 26, 2011
you said that last year

how many graduated?

just admit you dont have the mental tools to process or comprehend the data
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by bashr4: 8:15pm On Jun 26, 2011
^^^
Stop throwing insults around and focus on the topic so those of us that don't have time to browse through that website can have an idea of what is goin on
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 8:15pm On Jun 26, 2011
More on NYSC (click below)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 8:16pm On Jun 26, 2011
you believe lagos has a small number serving there and abuja?
go and watch your blue films you are a dunce .

i am wasting my time
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ZnO: 8:21pm On Jun 26, 2011
As you can read from the NYSC data above, no data on state of origin of NYSC members is presented.
However, I have other data to support that SE is  ahead of SW, overall since it takes a literate person to apply for JAMB, write it, get admitted and graduate.

Literacy levels

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by aribisala0(m): 8:21pm On Jun 26, 2011
there is no point cutting and pasting what [b]i [/b]gave [b]you [/b]remember?. even if you had 4 years you would never have found it. you cannot grasp the meaning of the data so

do not make [b]yest [/b]of yasef

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Becomes First Nursing Graduate From Her Village(pics, Video) / Jenifa's Diary English: A Project Topic In OAU (Photo) / DELSCOTECH Student Dies In Motor Accident Days After Her Final Exams (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.