Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36223 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by larez(m): 10:37pm On Feb 26, 2009
For those who wonder where this came from, you may want to read this thread, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=219094.msg3413081#msg3413081 . It is obvious that the human RASH, has a serious credibility problem with himself and because on his impotence and inadequacies chooses to accuse and peddle false information about people. I'd love to sue the bastard.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by TalkSmith: 10:39pm On Feb 26, 2009
It was quite refreshing to read the inputs from various self proclaimed statistical pundits on interpretation of statistical data. I liked the argument and counter arguments respectively. What I however found appalling was when Negro Nts decided to traduce the data provided by JAMB on their website. He totally went off tangent and became rather despondent to prove his point. In respective of whether the data is valid or otherwise, the onus was on him to rather make his input based on the data provided and further strengthen his argument.

I, on the other hand hold to the view that the data displayed on the JAMB website does not correlate to the demographics obtained from the NPC. This is rather another proof of how shallow we are, in undertaking well detailed statistical information.

In respect to whether the SW goes to school more than the SE or SS, I am of the view, the SE have an impressive record than the SW. This brings to mind, the literature book, one read earlier in those yester-years: ''Eze Goes to School.''  undecided grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by otukpo(f): 8:06am On Feb 27, 2009
This thread has been very interesting and informative. pls keep it coming.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 11:43am On Feb 27, 2009
TalkSmith:

I, on the other hand hold to the view that the data displayed on the JAMB website does not correlate to the demographics obtained from the NPC. This is rather another proof of how shallow we are, in undertaking well detailed statistical information.
Didn't you mean 'well detailed collection of statistical information' or 'well detailed statistical investigation'? grin

As a TalkSmith, I expect better from you. Don't fret though, the man who invented grammar is here! cheesy

In respect to whether the SW goes to school more than the SE or SS, I am of the view, the SE have an impressive record than the SW. This brings to mind, the literature book, one read earlier in those yester-years: ''Eze Goes to School.''  undecided grin
I will never forget that book. I still remember my 'lesson teacher' Mr Afolabi, affectionately known as 'Mr. Afo' reading the book to me.

'What did Mike gave Agbo? Mike gave Agbo a camera!' grin grin grin
Needless to say, I didn't take English lessons as seriously after that, he was good in Math though. cheesy

@ larez

What insight have you brought to the issue being discussed? This isn't about Negro or his motivation - focus on the subject matter. wink
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 12:04pm On Feb 27, 2009
Now to Negro's posts

If you are looking at a 6yr data that says year over year you are the best. . .hmm, is it true that I am truly proficient or is there something else influencing that data? Without inspecting it you will not know and if indeed there was an external influence, as opposed to true capability of efficiency, then it might be too late at a future time when the truth is revealed and efforts are put in place for recovery, the damage may be far done!
This is very true - let us look at the 'influences'.

As I (and many others) have said, the crucial bit of missing information is the accurate population figures of the groups concerned. If that information is available, then we can make an informed conclusion that x or y tribe is ahead in proportion to it's overall population. This for me, is the most cogent 'root cause' we should look at.

Other pieces of information could be useful would be graduation rates, but at this point, there is no reason to believe that this would affect one tribe more than another, and in that regard, is a secondary concern.

We must ask. . .if JAMB performance is measured in terms of population density, then there is no doubt that we are looking at a quota distribution (of course we know that's what it is - it's a rhetoric!) and as such we end with a scenario in which qualified and brilliant students are pushed aside from university enrollment so that less qualified but represented students are allowed in. This is the way it has been but is it the way it should continue?

You're not making sense here. The JAMB data is raw numbers of applicants, admissions and test scores, NOT measured 'in terms' of anything else, except dividing the data by state of origin - into 36 separate constituents.

While there will be an effect of quota distribution on admissions, there will not be ANY effect on applications. The Igbo lead in [b]BOTH [/b]cases. Unless the Igbo states are tagged educationally disadvantaged (which they are not) this will have little effect. Explaining this quota might help you get increased accuracy, but will not affect the overall trend of the data. Once again - in this regard, there is no reason to feel that Igbos would be preferentially benefit from the quota system compared to Yorubas, rather it's the opposite:

The 'Quota' you mention, (more aptly 'catchment area allocation') is a factor in University admissions, but primarily for Federal Institutions. State institutions, on the other hand have a larger preference for 'indigenes'.

Now looking at the data, there are a higher number of state universities in the South West - LASU, OSU (OOU), LAUTECH, UNAD, Osun State University amongst others. This is due to two reasons - more states in the SW (meaning more universities) and the perceived 'demand' for tertiary education in the SW.

Based on the foregoing, A greater number of places are 'reserved' for SW indigenes (due to catchment area (Fed Unis) and indigene preference (State Unis)) compared to SE, YET the SW has a lower admissions rate.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ADint(m): 12:20pm On Feb 27, 2009
The data provided by JAMB is probably correct - there is currently more admission from the SE and SS region than the SW in Nigeria.

But looking at a bigger picture this does not mean that there are more SEers or SSers going to University than SW. The SWers have taken the quest for higher education to a different level. There are 10s of thousands of Nigerian undergraduates studing abroad, especially in Europe, and majority of them (just go to any Uni in the UK for example) are of SW origin. The average SW family, given the opportunity, will not spare any expense to send thier kids abroad to get quality education (in some cases even selling landed property or vehicles), this has been happening now for going on 2 decades hence the seemingly lower number of admissions from the SW region within Nigeria.

In the final analysis the SW region will still be the region with the highest number of graduates albeit a sizeable proportion with foreign degrees.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 12:37pm On Feb 27, 2009
ADint:

The data provided by JAMB is probably correct - there is currently more admission from the SE and SS region than the SW in Nigeria.

But looking at a bigger picture this does not mean that there are more SEers or SSers going to University than SW. The SWers have taken the quest for higher education to a different level. There are 10s of thousands of Nigerian undergraduates studing abroad, especially in Europe, and majority of them (just go to any Uni in the UK for example) are of SW origin. The average SW family, given the opportunity, will not spare any expense to send thier kids abroad to get quality education (in some cases even selling landed property or vehicles), this has been happening now for going on 2 decades hence the seemingly lower number of admissions from the SW region within Nigeria.

In the final analysis the SW region will still be the region with the highest number of graduates albeit a sizeable proportion with foreign degrees.

I raised this issue and some SE savages nearly took ma head off.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 12:49pm On Feb 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

I raised this issue and some SE savages nearly took ma head off.

Savages indeed!  grin grin grin

Lets face it- those South Westerners in London are NEVER coming home! They will live and die in Peckham for the next 100 generations. They are no more Nigerian than Sade or Seal. A lot of them are even involved in knife and gun crime nowadays grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 12:54pm On Feb 27, 2009
Ibime:

Savages indeed!  grin grin grin

Lets face it- those South Westerners in London are NEVER coming home! They will live and die in Peckham for the next 100 generations. They are no more Nigerian than Sade or Seal. A lot of them are even involved in knife and gun crime nowadays grin

Hahahahahaha

50% of em have fled to Nigeria due to the current economic recession.
I heard Lagos is now filled with returnees from USA/UK all hustling to land good jobs.
Job security is no longer guaranteed in this island. . . . .Companies are shutting down with the speed of light.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Mowire: 1:01pm On Feb 27, 2009
One of the things that these JAMB figures indicate is that the population of this race called Igbo in Nigeria is higher than what the population census and the population estimates adduce.

I know this is true cos for a fact a sizeable number of Igbos live outside the SE. The population census figure is based on residents and not on indigenes. We should also note that the JAMB figures do not indicate the physical location of the applicants.

In trying to see what really needs attention you may need to know the actual population of each of the tribes concerned. I hope Negro will not faint when he sees that figure.

I know there are more than 17million igbos in this country far more than that. I won't be suprised if we have something in the region of 22-23million and a Yoruba population that is far less than what is recorded for SW.

The above kind of result will mean that if Afaukwu was out on an ego trip he will be greatly disappointed with the resultant ratio of educated to "uneducated" Igbos cheesy. And Negro. He will either faint or rejoice. grin

I know say Igbo women dey born pass dem Yoruba women. Dem get de fisika power. Go Mbaise go find out: 12 babies = 1goat gift (a full dowry compensation for the husband) grin shocked
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 1:05pm On Feb 27, 2009
Larez,

I didn't know you are still hurting from that encounter.  I hope you find healing.  I followed that link and if I put your claim into perspective then on average you were making over $1m per home contract.  Adding all that together over the years, by now you are a multi-millionaire.  Does it not bother you that someone of your financial worth is coming to NL to scope for value of residential home market in Nigeria?  With clients like Babyface, La Reid, Andre Rison. . .and then you designed homes in Country Club of the South, which is where Whitney and Bobby lived, no house in that community is less than $1m. . .but yet you have not done ground work and networked to find any reputable Nigerian contractor or home designer to partner with, instead you come to NL asking "Wll these homes sell in Nigeria and where?"

In fact with these many beautiful designs and successes you are a ready market and should be sought after.  What happened that you are talking to us here instead of Governor Fashola on his Mega city project?  Why are you not already established in Lekki?  Again, I sincerely doubt your intent, although I do not contend that you may be an architect but one has to wonder why a multi-millionaire home designer is asking NL'ers for guidance on value and market location.  Resolve these questions within yourself before you respond.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 2:14pm On Feb 27, 2009
Debo,

I guess on the statistics and what they represent, the numbers are what they are, although I am still not completely confident that the numbers are accurate. Not necessary in favor of any region but moreso as a call for qualitative accounting and I would be just as passionate if they were depicting SW as tops for 6yr running. I love politics and I cherish the feeling and the excitement of the bloodbath in politics. Arguing the numbers here is useless but as I clearly stated earlier I tuned into the political ramification of the message and became a fireball. cheesy I should blame it on Ibime for being that catalyst that set me on fire. cool Ibime don't say anything just swallow it! grin

I am sure you all would agree with me, as prudence demands, that "to be the Best, Good is not enough!" So, without going back to analysing the numbers, knowing that SW is behind . . .and hey, to my SE folks, yes I admit that we are behind in these statistics and the competition is on, watch out! . . . moving forward, how do we up not just the SE or the SW or the North regions but everybody, particularly the best of brains, regardless of which region they belong?

While there will be an effect of quota distribution on admissions, there will not be ANY effect on applications. The Igbo lead in BOTH cases. Unless the Igbo states are tagged educationally disadvantaged (which they are not) this will have little effect. Explaining this quota might help you get increased accuracy, but will not affect the overall trend of the data. Once again - in this regard, there is no reason to feel that Igbos would be preferentially benefit from the quota system compared to Yorubas, rather it's the opposite:

Of all labels, educationally disadvantaged is the least I will use; they pretend they are disadvantaged. grin On the highlight, it makes sense with the explanation below on the distribution of state universities and I agree.

The 'Quota' you mention, (more aptly 'catchment area allocation') is a factor in University admissions, but primarily for Federal Institutions. State institutions, on the other hand have a larger preference for 'indigenes'.

Could an applicant score high on their JAMB test and still be denied admission in a Federal Uni?

Now looking at the data, there are a higher number of state universities in the South West - LASU, OSU (OOU), LAUTECH, UNAD, Osun State University amongst others. This is due to two reasons - more states in the SW (meaning more universities) and the perceived 'demand' for tertiary education in the SW. Based on the foregoing, A greater number of places are 'reserved' for SW indigenes (due to catchment area (Fed Unis) and indigene preference (State Unis)) compared to SE, YET the SW has a lower admissions rate.

How about merit? Debo, you get my point? Regardless of background, if a student merits university education, why not do away with the sentiments and begin the reconciliation? This could be our true march forward to unity. In fact, this was the reason that the Federal Govt Colleges were established to foster unity by exchanging cultural transfers.

In these figures SW is behind 6yrs running. It will continue some more years unless interventions are put in place. The intervention cannot occur without a root cause find for the problem. Some of the problems we find could become lessons learnt and adopted into policies that shares with other regions our mistakes in SW and proactively alert them in the direction to steer implementations.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by larez(m): 2:19pm On Feb 27, 2009
;d
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by larez(m): 2:22pm On Feb 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Larez,

I didn't know you are still hurting from that encounter.  I hope you find healing.  I followed that link and if I put your claim into perspective then on average you were making over $1m per home contract.  Adding all that together over the years, by now you are a multi-millionaire.  Does it not bother you that someone of your financial worth is coming to NL to scope for value of residential home market in Nigeria?  With clients like Babyface, La Reid, Andre Rison. . .and then you designed homes in Country Club of the South, which is where Whitney and Bobby lived, no house in that community is less than $1m. . .but yet you have not done ground work and networked to find any reputable Nigerian contractor or home designer to partner with, instead you come to NL asking "Wll these homes sell in Nigeria and where?"

In fact with these many beautiful designs and successes you are a ready market and should be sought after.  What happened that you are talking to us here instead of Governor Fashola on his Mega city project?  Why are you not already established in Lekki?  Again, I sincerely doubt your intent, although I do not contend that you may be an architect but one has to wonder why a multi-millionaire home designer is asking NL'ers for guidance on value and market location.  Resolve these questions within yourself before you respond.  

Your Parents obviously did a lousy job of raising you. You are a poster child of the need to promote contraception. grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 2:24pm On Feb 27, 2009
Your Parents obviously did a lousy job of raising you. You are a poster child of the need to promote contraception

What an excellent response from a multi-millionaire!!  BRAVO!!! wink
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 2:48pm On Feb 27, 2009
debosky:

Didn't you mean 'well detailed collection of statistical information' or 'well detailed statistical investigation'?  grin

As a TalkSmith, I expect better from you. Don't fret though, the man who invented grammar is herecheesy

Stop bullying!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry

larez:

Your Parents obviously did a lousy job of raising you. You are a poster child of the need to promote contraception. grin

Is this really necessary??
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 2:55pm On Feb 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Could an applicant score high on their JAMB test and still be denied admission in a Federal Uni?  
This is a vague question - what constitutes 'high'? Higher than the merit cut off? Higher than the 'catchment area' cut off? A 'high' score not meeting the applicable cut off will not secure admission, while a high score above cut off without the necessary GCE/SSCE credentials will negate admission as well. Please clarify

How about merit?  Debo, you get my point?  Regardless of background, if a student merits university education, why not do away with the sentiments and begin the reconciliation?  This could be our true march forward to unity.  In fact, this was the reason that the Federal Govt Colleges were established to foster unity by exchanging cultural transfers.  
I did not discuss merit here, Merit is, of course, the first determinant of admission at the majority of institutions. Catchment area, indigene quota and so on are secondary considerations.

I am not sure what you categorise as 'sentiments' here, but let me give some background on this matter.

1) What is the determinant of someone 'meriting' a university education? I think this has to do with setting basic standards, such as 5 credits as SSCE as minimum admission criteria (for Federal Unis anyways). JAMB had a similar system a few years ago, with the 'floor score' of 200 being the minimum to get admitted.

2) In any educational system, University education is not COMPULSORY. As a result, there will always be a limited number of university places and hence competition. Now what level of admission vs candidates can always be debated and set according to national/regional goals and data as applicable. Currently, there is a massive 'shortage' of University places compared to applicants, the reasons for which are beyond the remit of this particular discourse.

3) Universities are set up for different purposes. As you mentioned, some colleges are set up for integration, others on a strictly merit basis, others for religious affiliation. State Universities cannot be compelled to admit purely by merit - they are set up to cater for state needs first and foremost, and as a result will always have an inward bias.

4)We cannot do away with quotas and the like for now, else we will leave behind regions/zones and will have an even more lopsided distribution of candidates/graduates. Whether quotas are the best means for achieving inclusion and widespread education remains up for debate.

Our educational system is definitely not mature enough and that is why we have some of these issues.

In these figures SW is behind 6yrs running.  It will continue some more years unless interventions are put in place.  The intervention cannot occur without a root cause find for the problem.  Some of the problems we find could become lessons learnt and adopted into policies that shares with other regions our mistakes in SW and proactively alert them in the direction to steer implementations.  
Once again, it is not clear that interventions are indeed needed - without some grasp as to what the PROPORTIONAL educational attainment is, relative to the population, any 'interventions' should be based on accurate population estimates.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 3:20pm On Feb 27, 2009
I did not discuss merit here, Merit is, of course, the first determinant of admission at the majority of institutions. Catchment area, indigene quota and so on are secondary considerations.

I am not sure what you categorise as 'sentiments' here, but let me give some background on this matter.

1) What is the determinant of someone 'meriting' a university education? I think this has to do with setting basic standards, such as 5 credits as SSCE as minimum admission criteria (for Federal Unis anyways). JAMB had a similar system a few years ago, with the 'floor score' of 200 being the minimum to get admitted.

2) In any educational system, University education is not COMPULSORY. As a result, there will always be a limited number of university places and hence competition. Now what level of admission vs candidates can always be debated and set according to national/regional goals and data as applicable. Currently, there is a massive 'shortage' of University places compared to applicants, the reasons for which are beyond the remit of this particular discourse.

3) Universities are set up for different purposes. As you mentioned, some colleges are set up for integration, others on a strictly merit basis, others for religious affiliation. State Universities cannot be compelled to admit purely by merit - they are set up to cater for state needs first and foremost, and as a result will always have an inward bias.

4)We cannot do away with quotas and the like for now, else we will leave behind regions/zones and will have an even more lopsided distribution of candidates/graduates. Whether quotas are the best means for achieving inclusion and widespread education remains up for debate.

Our educational system is definitely not mature enough and that is why we have some of these issues.

Great! I will summarize all you have said here into one statement.
The reports of any data showcasing regional performances are at best what they are and no meaningful decisions can be made out of them because they have inherent problems that rest largely on ideological differences best managed from a central bucket.

So from that central bucket- JAMB - we are running an operation diluted by sentiments and placating the demands of regional interests alongside the need to reward the demonstration of merit performance and Best in Class. Why then should the statistical report carry weight, except to fuel more sentiments of regional divide; a political, rather than an educational interest?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 3:52pm On Feb 27, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

So from that central bucket- JAMB - we are running an operation diluted by sentiments and placating the demands of regional interests alongside the need to reward the demonstration of merit performance and Best in Class.  Why then should the statistical report carry weight, except to fuel more sentiments of regional divide; a political, rather than an educational interest? 

What is this 'dilution by sentiments' you are going on about? As a NATIONAL institution, it is set up to manage the admissions process into the University system nothing more. JAMB is not placating regional interests or anything of the sort. Individual universities set cut off marks and set final criteria for admission, using JAMB input to make that decision. JAMB is not forwarding any regional interest. It's data is based on what it receives from Universities (regarding admissions).

JAMB neither sets catchment areas or indigene quotas and the like, in that regard, they have no benefit or reason to pursue a regional agenda in any shape or form.

The statistical report carries SIGNIFICANT academic weight on a number of grounds:

1) Unless you are comparing the SE/SW to the North, the effects of 'quotas or catchment areas' are completely irrelevant. Both the SW and SE benefit from this equally, with the SW likely benefiting more.

2) There is a long held opinion/belief that the SE is behind educationally, and that the SW is vastly superior. These stats, for a period of 6 years, CONSISTENTLY show this (at least in terms of raw numbers) is not the case. If this perception is wrong, then why continue to hold on to it? Maybe some states in the SW have become educationally disadvantaged and need to be helped to catch up. That is definitely educational weight.

3) Perception Management: If the SE has been wrongly portrayed, it is of utmost importance to CORRECT that portrayal, if for nothing else, to prevent it from becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. Igbo parents should look at these stats and say - my kids must continue going to school - the lie that all people end up in Alaba or trading is just that - a lie.
People perceive Medicine, Engineering and so on to be 'noble professions'. By correcting the wrong perception, you encourage even FURTHER educational engagement.

4) Resource allocation takes place on the basis of CENSUS figures - which is why those figures are HIGHLY politicised in Nigeria. This is not the case with JAMB - it simply serves as an independent reference source to highlight the obvious defects and manipulations on the census data.

Finally, there is no educational system that will not strive for inclusion and widespread uptake of education - something you wrongly term 'regional interests' and 'sentiments'. The pursuit of Merit and Best in Class is NOT threatened by inclusion, especially since best performers are still rewarded, both at National level and in individual universities.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by kkkng(m): 4:06pm On Feb 27, 2009
Where will all these arguements take us to? I think this political, religious and tribal divide is more among the so called educated ones. Lets put more of our time and energy into being more productive.

Instead of this fight between SE and SW, we need to come together to find a way to educate our Northern brothers who the British denied western education. If these guys don't get to up at least 20% of their population educated, Nigeria is going no where forward as a nation.

I know Igbos and Yorubas mainly are always at coldwar fighting other this or that, but in the end, they still manage to coexist and get benefits. Our Northern brothers - the youths mainly, need our support to understand the need for education and other goals for us to move ahead and compete with other oil rich nations.

So help us GOD,
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 4:08pm On Feb 27, 2009
ADint:

Balderdash. I have been studying abroad since 2002. There is no evidence to suggest that there are more Yorubas studying abroad than Igbos. In the three universities I have attended in two different mainland European countries, there are more or less the same number of Yoruba and Igbo, and righ across the country where I currently reside the story is the same. You may want to take a look in the US, Canada and Asia, in addition to mainland Europe to conclude, as UK is only but a speck.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 4:19pm On Feb 27, 2009
Mowire
:DAfaukwu please don't return to Nigeria. Not to our institutions. We don't need one more corrupter in the 

You lost your sense of humor uh? Just kidding about the bush meat thing. I have been eating hassle-free foreign bush meat since 2002, and I am not about poking my hands into raw fire with naija babes and their fury.  wink wink wink wink wink

But seriously, if I were to become a lecturer in Nigeria, rather than be a corrupter, I will advocate for far-reaching reforms in the edu system, especially with regards to examination and assessment. I will fight for the introduction of oral examination with appropriate checks. During my studies here, I did written, oral, and written-oral exams; and the olodos are easy to spot during oral exams. I know that naija lecturers may want to exploit the oral exams to victimize students, but the check will be that the proceedings will be taped for future reference (an audio wil do). Only maths, statistics and like courses will be fully written. By oral exams, expo will be reduced and the best students will shine. In addition to these advantages, oral exams will also inculcate the culture of boldness and overcoming stage fright early in our lives.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by TalkSmith: 4:36pm On Feb 27, 2009
debosky:

Didn't [/b]you mean 'well detailed collection of statistical information' or 'well detailed statistical investigation'?  grin

As a TalkSmith, I expect better from you. [b]Don't
fret though, the man who invented grammar is here!  cheesy
I will never forget that book. I still remember my 'lesson teacher' Mr Afolabi, affectionately known as 'Mr. Afo' reading the book to me.
Now this gets more interesting. Frolicking in my area of natural excitation (Pardon my poor science orientation)! If I happen to get you clearly, you are 'the man who invented grammar,' I do have reason that your grammatical prowess would be flawless. grin

Or how do I explain the 'contraction' consistent in your response to me? Under a strict grammatical review which you have subjected me to likewise, this would have earned you a dismantle of the self proclaimed title you avouch so audaciously. tongue
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 4:55pm On Feb 27, 2009
Quota system of resource distribution, whichever way you look at it does not accurately reflect true performance. You can call it what you want or use any and all sweet words to express it, the primary reason for doing the motion study to begin with is that operators recognize the need to weed out inefficiencies. Without an inspection, you may never know where your inefficiencies lie. Like it or not, if JAMB performance is independent of University admission, then the concept of quota reserve is defeated and should be eliminated. Its continued existence and expansion means that the admissions criteria set by the Uni trumps the performance result reported by JAMB.

But guess what? I'm done with the discussion! I will read and digest your response but if I never answer I want you to know that we may disagree on these ideas but I still respect your position Debo and we will talk again. wink
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by toksdam(m): 10:28pm On Feb 28, 2009
@ poster,this is a very strong thesis,i like to know your source,you didnt say much about your references,i have a bit of some reservations,you should publish this in an academic journal for the right people to see.your use of the graph and chart is apt i must say.if you dont mind i like an abrigded copy.toksdam@yahoo.com
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by toksdam(m): 10:59pm On Feb 28, 2009
from my recent observation after going through the facts in this publication,is this; the statistics may be correct, note; maybe correct,also the poster needs to do a little more research especially into the level of drop out from the SE, not every body that starts a race finishes it. go back and check the level of drop out from each zones as you have done with the entry data or better still let's have the data on the statistics of graduation as against entry into school. you will have to go beyond Jamb to get it,as jamb only knows those who are entring,am really interested in ur findings, @ poster nice job.i want the drop out statistics,take itas a challange.are in the academia or you are apolitician ? shallom.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 9:06am On Mar 01, 2009
I say an arrant nonsense to this baseless assertion. Is there any reason for someone with an average organized social order to let go an unsubstantiated statement in a public domain? In UK, USA and Canada, majority of intellectual gatherings that I have attended with mainly Nigerians as invitees have proportionately placed Ndigbo on the above average.

I am not here to argue on the behalf of Ndigbo but the group’s academic records speak loudly. For the sake of this discourse, let us assume for a moment that south-western zone of Nigeria trumps south-eastern zone on academics, I request that we approach very wisely the question posed by Mr. Walter Mandel, the USA presidential candidate of Democratic Party, “where is the beef”?

Statistics after statistics, data after data, in most cases first in every thing, the flow of inventive genius and pure academic achievements have managed to trace their ways to south-eastern zone of Nigeria or Ndigbo in general.

Quote from: ADint on February 27, 2009, 12:20 PM

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 9:35am On Mar 01, 2009
toksdam:

@ poster,this is a very strong thesis,i like to know your source,you didnt say much about your references,i have a bit of some reservations,you should publish this in an academic journal for the right people to see.your use of the graph and chart is apt i must say.if you dont mind i like an abrigded copy.toksdam@yahoo.com

Every details you need can be found in the JAMB website. Please visit the links that have been provided and satisfy your curiosity
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 9:39am On Mar 01, 2009
toksdam:

from my recent observation after going through the facts in this publication,is this; the statistics may be correct, note; maybe correct,also the poster needs to do a little more research especially into the level of drop out from the SE, not every body that starts a race finishes it. go back and check the level of drop out from each zones as you have done with the entry data or better still let's have the data on the statistics of graduation as against entry into school. you will have to go beyond Jamb to get it,as jamb only knows those who are entring,am really interested in ur findings, @ poster nice job.i want the drop out statistics,take itas a challange.are in the academia or you are apolitician ? shallom.

The statistics is not just correct. It is absolutely correct. Talking about drop-outs, you will have to state if any ethnic group is genetically-primed to drop out, in contrast to others. If you say Igbos drop out to go to trading, you will also have to say the Yorubas drop out to become taxi drivers and indeed, area boys. As for the North, I guess they have to be enrolled first before they even drop put.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by toksdam(m): 2:16pm On Mar 01, 2009
i have seen the statistics,its not absolute in anyway, and i think you know that,no statistic is.i think you are on a war path,i wish you luck as you prove what you have to prove,i tot you were doing something really strong for posterity.i wish you luck with your mission.i however will do more work on the findings.thanks
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by ADint(m): 2:34pm On Mar 01, 2009
Dede1:

I say an arrant nonsense to this baseless assertion. Is there any reason for someone with an average organized social order to let go an unsubstantiated statement in a public domain? In UK, USA and Canada, majority of intellectual gatherings that I have attended with mainly Nigerians as invitees have proportionately placed Ndigbo on the above average.

I am not here to argue on the behalf of Ndigbo but the group’s academic records speak loudly. For the sake of this discourse, let us assume for a moment that south-western zone of Nigeria trumps south-eastern zone on academics, I request that we approach very wisely the question posed by Mr. Walter Mandel, the USA presidential candidate of Democratic Party, “where is the beef”?

Statistics after statistics, data after data, in most cases first in every thing, the flow of inventive genius and pure academic achievements have managed to trace their ways to south-eastern zone of Nigeria or Ndigbo in general.

Baseless in your opinion does not change the reality on ground. I am not here to argue for or promote any particular region, but the above assertion I have made is the status quo like it or not! When it comes to trade/commerce one would readily give it to the easterners likewise politicking to the northerners, westerners value educational accomplishment above anything else and would go to any lenght to achieve this even if it means studing in Ghana, SA or wherever - same way the easterners are prepared to ply their trade in any corner of the globe.

What is nonsensical is your inability to be objective.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by kkkng(m): 11:45am On Mar 02, 2009
Baseless in your opinion does not change the reality on ground. I am not here to argue for or promote any particular region, but the above assertion I have made is the status quo like it or not! When it comes to trade/commerce one would readily give it to the easterners likewise politicking to the northerners, westerners value educational accomplishment above anything else and would go to any lenght to achieve this even if it means studing in Ghana, SA or wherever - same way the easterners are prepared to ply their trade in any corner of the globe.

What is nonsensical is your inability to be objective.

What do u assume objective? Airing the view of malams, traders, area boys, and some lazy educated people who just believe and assume any normal saying to be the truth.

It is true that Igbos do trading, no doubt, and its more honorable that being touts and stuff.

Nobody can underestimate the contribution and commitment of the Igbos to the growth of Education in Nigeria and Africa.

It was when Zik went to School in the US that he paved way for the people like Mbonu Ojike, Adeniran Ogunsanya, Ozumba Mbadiwe and 10 others to also school in America. It was these 13 men who fought the british to establish a university in Nigeria.

Though Yoruba had been going to School in England, none of them deemed it fit to open a school that will benefit the whole Nigeria. The best one of them did was to establish a vocation/ technical school in  Ogbomosho which later turned into LAUTECH of today.

When Zik came back from US, he looked for funds to build a University for Africans in Liberia, this he could not realize due to inadequate, he then went to the Eastern Region where they built University of Nigeria in 1960. Then UI was still part of University of london. Why was he Called Zik of Africa apart from politics? Read about Kwame Nkruma's view on Zik.

The population of the students in University college Ibadan was never above 600 in only 3 faculties at any point in time from 1948 to 1960, a way by the british to keep Nigeria and other african blacks uneducated. It was when UNN came in 1960 that moves were made to make UI independent. In five years of UNN existence, they had over 1500 students in about 8 faculties.
Things changed in UI after they saw how UNN was growing in learning, size and faculties.

During the days of University College Ibadan, Igbo had the highest population of students, academic staff with Kenneth Dike as the 1st Principal and later the 1st Nigerian VC. There were 3 faculties and two of the Deans were Igbo, one of them Eni Njoku who later became the 1st VC of Unilag in 1962.

Kenneth Dike stepped aside as VC of UI in 1967 when the Civil war started, and the VC chair was open for months as there was no other professor of Yoruba stock that could take his place.

Before all these, when Yabatech was the only higher institution in Nigeria, an Igbo man also the first Nigerian Principal - Mr Agbassi from Nnewi.

Why was an Igbo the first Minister of Education - Aja Nwachukwu after the British  left?

Because everything then was done on qualification and Merit then, that was why Igbos were able to get that far.

The whole gist about SW and Education started during the civil war and just five years after when the SE stock were trying to put their minds and families back to life. Moreover many were left with no dime as the FG policy seized their money in nigerian Banks. This explains why many went into biz to turn 20pounds they received from FG into 40, UNN was also closed down after the war for some years. But by lates 70s and 80s till date, it has become obivous that Igbos have taken their position back as no 1, and this is not going down with some people.

Even many Igbos do not know this much about how well they are doing in Education because thay believe and listen to the comment of other tribes who always want to run them down,

Umunne jisi unu ike.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund / Nigerian Lady Becomes First Nursing Graduate From Her Village(pics, Video) / Nairalanders Please Is It Filling Station Or Fueling Station?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.