Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,408 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36189 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 4:23pm On Feb 21, 2009
LOOK WHO IS GOING TO SCHOOL IN NIGERIA:
THE STATISTICS MAY SURPRISE YOU
Ikechukwu Agbor Tuesday, February 10, 2009
ikeagbor@yahoo.com
Dallas, Texas, USA

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". --John Adam's (1735 - 1826) argument as he defended soldiers in the Boston Massacre trials in December 1770.

In every conceivable hamlet in Nigeria and most of Africa are men and women from the South-East who toil to make ends meet, and because of their sheer number, the press in Nigeria has continued to assert, albeit wrongly that the South-Easterners have abandoned education.

Why is that so?

Come along with me as we meander through the maze, bare the facts and bust the myth of who is in school and who is not.

We will begin by consulting JAMB, culling figures from UME admissions in the years 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007, and then crunching the numbers and provide the statistics.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129671_chart1_jpg9400f3fc1292afce7e9255bbcbb7afcd
Fig.1. Total Admissions for the six year period for the six geo-political zones

It is noteworthy that the South-West lags behind among the three zones that comprise the South, and so for the purposes of this presentation, I will limit the study to the three Southern zones as the Northern zones have historically lagged behind their Southern counterparts.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129672_chart2_jpga0a3b889691a453e4a152380b413c374
Fig.2. Admissions for South-East, South-West and South-South

From the above, it can thus be established that the South-East has more of her young men and women admitted to Nigerian universities than either the South-West or the South-South; "quota" system not withstanding. The South-South has been next to the South-East in the number of university admissions in all the years except 2006 and 2007 when South-West made a nominal gain. Within the South-South, it is interesting to note that Delta State is tops, and no attempt will be made on the part of the author to divvy up the South-South for the purposes of this presentation in spite of the fact that Delta and Rivers States have more of their young men and women admitted than Kwara and Kogi put together, so no numbers will be appropriated from the South-South into South-East, in as much as in the same token no remnants of Kogi and Kwara States will be consigned into the South-West.

The South-East and the South-West have far more homogeneity within the population that occupies its geographic space due to language. It is also noteworthy that there is a presence of Ijaw in the South-West but still my subsequent comparison will be solely confined to only the South-West and the South-East.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129673_chart3_jpge2d327e790b9ada584954b99a32d1fb8
Fig.3. Male / Female admissions in the South-East

It can be seen from the above that it was only in 2004 that the number of women surpassed the men by a miniscule number. Also note the spikes in 2003 and 2004; I am not sure whether to attribute that to the number of universities under the wing of JAMB or to some other factors. The spike is also apparent when South-East is compared to both South-West and South-South (See Fig.4). It is also noteworthy that the South-East women have continued to keep pace with their male counterparts. To make a blanket statement that the South-East has abandoned education is totally false; that there are a number of men who are gainfully employed either as artisans or traders only goes to show that the South-East population has always been underestimated.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129674_chart4_jpg4bd59914ab8905c5f78b58950813ade3
Fig.4. South-East and South-West total admissions

It is discernible that in the years from 2002 until 2007, the South-East has continued to lead the South-West in university admissions. The South-East bested the South-West in terms of number of admissions in both genders also. As to the spikes in 2003 and 2004, my best bet would be that in the subsequent years, JAMB divested from the number of universities under its wing. (See also Fig.3.)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129675_chart5_jpgb7a32d8a5caa1bf12fa5e031ed6de980
Fig.5. South-East and South-West admissions for males

We can glean from the above chart that there are more Southeast males in the universities than their counterparts in the Southwest. In 2005 ad 2006 the numbers essentially remained the same for each zone.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129676_chart6_jpgba35da0c97a3739577e4f82298472ca4
Fig.6. South-East and South-West female admissions

From the above, there are more South-East females in the universities than their SW female counterparts.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129677_chart7_jpg6e9fcdcc9d9025b4e13b9143fd29248c
Fig.7. South-East Female and South-West Male admissions for six years

From the above, there are more S females in the universities than SW males.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129678_chart8_jpg6efe076d1caeaecc3f3c3b8b60f14b2f
Fig.8. South-East Male and South-West female admissions for six years

From the above there are more SE males in the universities than SW females

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129679_chart9_jpg94caaa4be826166e9f4f759f7198bb2c
Fig.9. South-East and South-West male and female admissions for six years

From the above, among all genders, SE males lead the SE females barely, who in turn lead the SW males. The SW females are fewer in number of admissions than all others.

We can deduct from the above bar charts as follows:

From fig.1: among the six geo-political zones for six years admissions from 2002 through 2007, the SE leads followed by SS, then SW, NC, NW while NE bottomed out.

Fig.2: The SE leads the three zones in the south

Fig.3: Total male admissions in the SE is more than the female admissions for the six year period

Fig.4: SE leads SW in total admissions for six years in a row

Fig.5: SE males lead their SW counterparts in admissions for six years in row

Fig.6: SE females lead their SW counterparts in admissions for six years in a row

Fig.7: SE females lead SW males in admissions for six years in a row

Fig.8: SE males lead SW females in admissions for six years in a row

Fig.9: In all genders, SE males are tops, followed by SE females, then SW males, while S females bottomed out

In conclusion, if we add up the number of young men and women who are admitted into Nigeria universities together with the South-East men and women who are in the remotest conceivable hamlets of every state in Nigeria, and the rest in the West African sub-region and other parts of Africa, who are wrongly accused of having abandoned higher education while there South-East peers hold their own, it makes me to still demand to know how many we really are; the Nigerian state continues to spew out spurious population censuses.

Finally, if the South-East has more people in the universities when there is no reason other than that they have more candidates applying for same, it would be right and appropriately so to postulate that it in terms of population, there are more people in the South-East than either in the South-West or the South-South.

So the next time they tell you that South-East males have abandoned school, point the statistics in their face. And more poignantly ask them: O bu anyi anaghi eme ofuma; anyi oga egburu unu onwe anyi? (Aren't we doing well already; do we commit suicide for you all?)

But wait, in the next segment when the 2006 population census will be analyzed, the reader will be in for more shocker; the 2006 population census has Oyo State as the most populated State in the South-West outside Lagos, with a population of 5,591,581, while the most populated state in the South-East is Anambra State with a total population of 4,182,032. However in 2007 JAMB admissions, Anambra State recorded a total of 8,725 in admissions while Oyo State had 3,788….I am crunching the numbers.

Ikechukwu Agbor is the author of the novel "Kisses from America"

Due to space limitation all the figures could not be uploaded; however the rest of the figures can be studied at the link below

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2009/feb/101.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 4:38pm On Feb 21, 2009
Ok I realize that I can post the remaining figures as response to the first post

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 4:40pm On Feb 21, 2009
And the last one

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 4:49pm On Feb 21, 2009
Enyi a ma na ibiara ohuru na nairaland.Please stop this .It is only going to bring tribalistic bashing here and it will lead to nowhere.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by DisGuy: 5:01pm On Feb 21, 2009
the press in Nigeria has continued to assert, albeit wrongly that the South-Easterners have abandoned education.
the press in nigeria is dominated (in terms of ownership) by south-easterners right?

so why are there more male children in school than females unlike in other parts of the world
the author didnt say the reason behind the figures just playing with access perhaps? undecided

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by noetic(m): 5:03pm On Feb 21, 2009
and what was this thread intended for

2 Likes

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:04pm On Feb 21, 2009
Asha, why don't you send an email to the original author of the article. His contact is on top of the post. Plus, you mean one should shy away from posting fact because of tribalism? Are you for real?

2 Likes

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:06pm On Feb 21, 2009
noetic:

and what was this thread intended for
For informational purposes only. Nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:09pm On Feb 21, 2009
I got in touch with the author and he promised to send data from outside of Nigeria. He and his colleagues are collating statistics on Nigerians studying abroad, all over the world. That, plus this one will put the truth into all the lies.

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 5:12pm On Feb 21, 2009
Afaukwu believe me this issue has been trashed out in the tribalism and educational section of nairaland sometime ago.You can search for it.I know how you feel about what the nigerian press have been blabbing for a long time without looking at facts but posting here especially in politics section will only bring closet tribalist here to realese their venom.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Pennywise(m): 5:13pm On Feb 21, 2009
These numbers will only be relevant if the population of one region relative to the other through the years is constant. And it will be erroneous to think that population variation between regions is insufficient to impact on school enrolment and Jamb admission all other things being equal.

Overall the numbers may be sensational but they have no real practical value. Some might even see it as a mockery of statistics.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 5:14pm On Feb 21, 2009
The key for me is this:

"Finally, if the South-East has more people in the universities when there is no reason other than that they have more candidates applying for same, it would be right and appropriately so to postulate that it in terms of population, there are more people in the South-East than either in the South-West or the South-South. "

The population question is yet to be answered. The last census was discredited by many, and it seems there have been some issues regarding properly quantifying the population.

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:18pm On Feb 21, 2009
Asha, I get you. But if the press, for reasons best known to them, continue to peddle lies, it is left for those of us who know the truth to inform, just like the author did and I am merely helping to disseminate. People who do not want to believe the truth are free to keep deluding themselves. Saying the truth should not cause anyone a headache. I am sure.

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2009
Pennywise,

Infact, it is easy to follow the logic: take a look at unis, polys and cols of edu in the East and tell how many non Igbos are there. Do the same for such schools in other regions and tell how many Igbos are there. This is just an oversimplified experiment, but it begins to tell the story already.

In any case, JAMB statistics are also available.

2 Likes

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Pennywise(m): 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2009
Afaukwu:

Asha, I get you. But if the press, for reasons best known to them, continue to peddle lies, it is left for those of us who know the truth to inform, just like the author did and I am merely helping to disseminate. People who do not want to believe the truth are free to keep deluding themselves. Saying the truth should not cause anyone a headache. I am sure.
My friend dont you get tired of listening to your own voice. The point other people are making is that your reference document as presented is defective and unreliable to change whatever impression exists. Thank you.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:25pm On Feb 21, 2009
Pennywise:

My friend dont you get tired of listening to your own voice. The point other people are making is that your reference document as presented is defective and unreliable to change whatever impression exists. Thank you.

Pray, tell. How is it defective? I am myself an academic, and I certainly will be able to engage you on this topic. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 5:25pm On Feb 21, 2009

That impression is as self deluding as it can get.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Pennywise(m): 5:27pm On Feb 21, 2009
Afaukwu:

Pennywise,

Infact, it is easy to follow the logic: take a look at unis, polys and cols of edu in the East and tell how many non Igbos are there. Do the same for such schools in other regions and tell how many Igbos are there. This is just an oversimplified experiment, but it begins to tell the story already.

In any case, JAMB statistics are also available.
That is what is called empirical evidence. It can usually go the way you want it. It doesnt change the fact that this document as it stands is worthless.It doent add to our understanding of the issue.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Pennywise(m): 5:31pm On Feb 21, 2009
Alright Afaukwu, I will be off to romance section now. Its been nice.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 5:32pm On Feb 21, 2009
Pennywise,

If statistics culled off of JAMB and presented in an easy-to-understand manner as this is worthless, then I wonder what can ever be worthy. I thought you have a contrary evidence to show that the statistics are defective and unreliable (as you claim).

4 Likes

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by yam: 5:38pm On Feb 21, 2009
Afaukwu:

Asha, why don't you send an email to the original author of the article. His contact is on top of the post. Plus, you mean one should shy away from posting fact because of tribalism? Are you for real?

afaukwu, do u know wat asha said is the truth,.1, he posted in the wrong place of the site,2.the writer should apply wisdom to his knowledge, even if his facth is the truth, it is just an agrumentative fact.wisdom is the principal thing, the fact in this case is not changing anything. Chinua Achebe lamented some years ago, that his people dont go to school. 3. yes, i believe one should shy awy from this kind of fact, because it promotes tribalism.or wat do you think is the impart of this fact.4 if u want this kind of fact to have impart , first change the mind set of people first.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 7:42pm On Feb 21, 2009
debosky:

The key for me is this:

"Finally, if the South-East has more people in the universities when there is no reason other than that they have more candidates applying for same, it would be right and appropriately so to postulate that it in terms of population, there are more people in the South-East than either in the South-West or the South-South. "

The population question is yet to be answered. The last census was discredited by many, and it seems there have been some issues regarding properly quantifying the population.

Forget all these excuses. We all know the South-West is more populated than the South-East, which is empty. No be today when Igbo people start to leave South-East Nigeria in their droves. Can you argue that Lagos State is less populated than Bayelsa State? If not, why does Bayelsa State have more University entrants than Lagos State? The simple fact is that the South-West and North need to get their act together.

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Gamine(f): 10:07pm On Feb 21, 2009
So they are going to school. . .

doesnt guarantee that they actually learn anything.

Nigerian Graduates from the east that dont know where Doha is or speak english kpa kpa embarassed undecided
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by StFunmi(f): 10:13pm On Feb 21, 2009
How many times shall we discuss this bleeping depressing topic?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 10:23pm On Feb 21, 2009
St.Funmi:

How many times shall we discuss this bleeping depressing topic?

These statistics are distorted. . . . . . .
The chances of students getting admitted in SE areas are almost 100%(Nobody wants to really school there).
Whereas, every candidate in Lagos wants to go to UNILAG thus leaving an army of UME candidates out cos the University cannot take all.
I know a lot of peops way back in Naija who would not school anywhere else but UNILAG and they miss out year after year thus pushing up the numbers of the Uni-rejects. grin

Statistics are like miniskirts. They give you a good idea but can hide the most important feature.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by jamace(m): 10:44pm On Feb 21, 2009
I don't have data on issue at hand, So no comment for now/

Statistics are like miniskirts. They give you a good idea but can hide the most important feature.
I am in love with this quotation. Thanks Sauron. grin

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Finally: 10:49pm On Feb 21, 2009
~Sauron~:

These statistics are distorted. . . . . . .
The chances of students getting admitted in SE areas are almost 100%(Nobody wants to really school there).

Complete bunkum!!!!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by asha80(m): 10:56pm On Feb 21, 2009

This is probably the most ignorant statement i have heard this year.

1 Like

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 11:00pm On Feb 21, 2009
asha 80:

This is probably the most ignorant statement i have heard this year.

Maybe it's because you are ignoramus. grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 11:26pm On Feb 21, 2009
Gamine:

So they are going to school. . .

doesnt guarantee that they actually learn anything.

Nigerian Graduates from the east that dont know where Doha is or speak english kpa kpa embarassed undecided

My friend shaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! See anofia wey just learn about Doha dey use am make mouth. Wetin you sabi?

~Sauron~:

Whereas, every candidate in Lagos wants to go to UNILAG thus leaving an army of UME candidates out cos the University cannot take all.
I know a lot of peops way back in Naija who would not school anywhere else but UNILAG and they miss out year after year thus pushing up the numbers of the Uni-rejects. grin

My friend shaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap2. Are Lagosians not men? Scared to travel ke! Southerners, especially Igbos are not respected until they travel. Lily livered Yorubas are sitting in mummy's house waiting for acceptance from UNILAG. I have met some UNILAG and LASU graduates and it is hard to tell that they went to school judging by their grammar. Is that what Lagosians are killing themselves for? To go to university just to continue speaking Yoruba, so they never learn English properly? How can Bayelsa have more graduates than Lagos? Shame!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 11:29pm On Feb 21, 2009
Ibime:

My friend shaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap2. Are Lagosians not men? Scared to travel ke! Southerners, especially Igbos are not respected until they travel. Lily livered Yorubas are sitting in mummy's house waiting for acceptance from UNILAG. I have met some UNILAG and LASU graduates and it is hard to tell that they went to school from their grammar. Is that what Lagosians are killing themselves for? To go to university just to continue speaking Yoruba, so they never learn English properly? How can Bayelsa have more graduates than Lagos? Shame!

U won't understand.

No Lagosian would go to any school in Bayelsa(such schools are regarded as village schools).
Just like there is an Ivy league here, we have selected Federal schools in Nigeria as well where kids in Lagos would rather go than any state University in the East or South South. Lagos is the place to be, Ibime.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by debosky(m): 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2009
Ibime:

Forget all these excuses. We all know the South-West is more populated than the South-East, which is empty. No be today when Igbo people start to leave South-East Nigeria in their droves. Can you argue that Lagos State is less populated than Bayelsa State? If not, why does Bayelsa State have more University entrants than Lagos State? The simple fact is that the South-West and North need to get their act together.
I'd expect better comprehension from you, but let me restate:

1. The population 'census' measured people living in given states and did not record states of origin, so it cannot be used as a sufficient basis to determine the population of a given tribe, especially one as perspicacious as the Igbo.

2. Lagos is more populated than Bayelsa no doubt, but that is irrelevant for the most part because majority of the people IN Lagos do not claim to be FROM Lagos.

3. The statistics being quoted are reported STATES OF ORIGIN, not states of residence. It is entirely plausible that there is a higher population of Igbos living outside their geographically defined 'home zone' than other tribes.

4. 'Igboland' or the South East remains one of the most densely populated places in Nigeria, apart from Lagos or Kano. It is this extremely high population density (in addition to other factors) that has led to the massive migration to other parts of the country/world. In fact, the three states with the highest population density in Nigeria are Abia, Anambra and Enugu states

5. Are there demographic differences between the tribes in question? Do Igbo families have larger or smaller number of children compared to others? Was there a 'baby boom' at some point in the past that could be (partly) responsible for this trend?

6. The census figures have been disputed by many groups as representing a politically acceptable result (to the North that is) rather than the true state of things.

7. Rates of completion are not included in the data, neither are drop out statistics. All these different measures can give a more accurate picture than admission stats alone.

8. A more useful number could be the proportion of applicants from the respective zones, vis-a-vis the admission numbers. Another useful term could be the proportion of the eligible populations in the different zones actually in school, such measures are more indicative of trends that the ones used here.

In conclusion, this data is insufficient to make any far reaching determinations. It is what it is, showing higher enrollment numbers than the South West.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Threatened With Expulsion By Ukrainian Universities Cry Out / Zanku Leg Work Crashes University Of Ibadan As Stage Collapses / Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.