Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (546089 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kevd2: 2:46pm On Apr 21, 2009
Thanks for yor reply, i have already gotten admission to Penn State University for fall 2009 and i am sure most schools
deadlines for fall would have expired.
Pls i want to know what my chances are of getting funding for the second year. Thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 21, 2009
prince84:

@ Kev-d.
You definitely need to send a bank statement or at least a certified letter of financial support.Most universities require this especially for graduate programmes.

But there are cheaper universities in the US, with Graduate programmes of 9 to 12 months.you just have to be patient while searching.
i will recommend the following universities to you
Pittsburgh state university,Kansas
North Kentucky University
Alabama A&M
Wichita state University
These universities are quiet affordable especially,there graduate programmes and admission procedures are more relaxed.
All the best!!

Men i just checked the websites of the above schools and i wish i had this information like 6months ago,i mean this schools dont even require the stupid transcript evaluation that is required by minnesota state university,, cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry anyway i will keep pushing and hope for the best,if i make this fall i will be the happiest man in the WORLD, wink wink cool cool cool cool
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by prince84(m): 8:07pm On Apr 21, 2009
@ Kev-d
I really doubt if you can get financial aid, but you can get on campus employment this help alot with little bills, but just take it one day at a time and you will definitely succeed!!

@femilangy
If you have all your necessary documents, go and apply immediately to the university of your choice from the list i gave you, and send all you supporting documents same week through FedEx or UPS and also pay your application fee, my smart money will be that you will make the 2009 fall session since deadline is the 10,may 2009 for fall application.if you are fast and smart and have supporting documents sent on time you can get a decision with 2 weeks.
Dont give up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 2:43pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ Kev-d

Whao! that is sure lots of money! The school my bro got is abt $24,000 stated on the I-20 form.

is the school a private one?

@ Femilang

Ehya, I guess as much that you didnt have all the necessary info on US schs, for you to have applied to one that will require ur verified b4 admission. The worse was that you were not informed or prepared for it at all.

I believe what Prince84 said is true.U can still get admissions b4 the deadlines.U can try the A&M schs(Texas,etc).

U need not be down .All is well!

cheers!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kevd2: 8:47am On Apr 23, 2009
please i just been informed by penn state university that i would be receiving my I20 nxt week, I would like to know if
1-How to pay the SEVIS fee and if debit cards from Nigerian Banks eg Zenith banks cards are accepted.
2- The amount that i should have in my Bank account for the Visa interview. Thanks

@rachiwise , its not a private school but penn state university, personally i think i can handle the first year but i dont know if i can get funding for the second year.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 12:54pm On Apr 23, 2009
@ kev-d

It is all good! Congrats on ur I-20 which u are to get soon.It is the most important step in getting ur student visa.

On payment for SEVIS, a friend of my mine that just went for MSc. this spring paid his online, by Intercontinental bank's Master card.It is acceptable. I really dont know about the rest though.But U need to get a number on ur I-20 ro pay for it.So do that as soon as you get your I-20 and also apply for interview at the embassy.

All the best!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adexchamp(m): 2:18pm On Apr 23, 2009
rachiwise:

@ kev-d

It is all good! Congrats on ur I-20 which u are to get soon.It is the most important step in getting ur student visa.

On payment for SEVIS, a friend of my mine that just went for MSc. this spring paid his online, by Intercontinental bank's Master card.It is acceptable. I really dont know about the rest though.But U need to get a number on ur I-20 ro pay for it.So do that as soon as you get your I-20 and also apply for interview at the embassy.

All the best!

For payment of your SEVIS fees,you can contact Bruscan Educational Information Service at their e-mail address on adeola@bruscan.com
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by prince84(m): 8:49pm On Apr 23, 2009
@ Kev-d
congratulations on the I-20, you can pay through this link https://www.fmjfee.com/index.html.you dont need anyone's help just follow the instructions on the site,SEVIS FEES is USD 200.
You will need to feel in your sevis number,its on the top right hand corner of your I-20,and also your universities registration number its also indicated on the I-20.

For the required amount in the bank account, you will enough money to cover at least your first year fees and upkeep,and also a little more.
As per financial aid its a little difficult,but your can get on campus employment this can aid your finances a little.

as per paying for the sevis fees from nigeria, i dont reall know about that as i paid mine via visacard fro here.
I wish you all the best
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kevd2: 3:17pm On Apr 24, 2009
@prince and rachiwise, what of the possibilty of an assistantship during the second year?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by bawomolo(m): 4:49pm On Apr 24, 2009
getting to know a professor that likes you and has enough funding.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 10:43pm On Apr 24, 2009
@Kev-d
I truly dont know abt that, but i think having good academic records should do.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by prince84(m): 11:35am On May 09, 2009
@Kev-d and rachiwise

Whats up with your applications?How far have you gone? Hope all is going on well,wishing you guys the best.

I will be going for my Interview(Visa) on the 13 of July.I will Be applying from Kiev,i wanted to apply from Abuja, But just changed my mind at the last moment.

I pray we all succeed.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 11:49pm On May 09, 2009
Hey,

whao! that is cool! My bro got July too, but for Abuja.

I say A big AMEN!!! to that prayer Bro!

Wish you the best too.

We are all going to have great news at the end of it all!

God help us all!

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by wanville(m): 12:18am On May 10, 2009
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 7:20am On May 10, 2009
wanville:

I know its wrong and all but almost everyday I wake I pray dat thunder will fire Us embassy 4 d way they treat us 9ja pple.

Awwwhhhhh, dearie God doesnt answer prayers like that, wink wink wink wink wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kevd2: 4:35pm On May 10, 2009
Guys, i just got a fellowship from penn state university, so they will be sending me another I-20 to reflect the funding.
pls i hope it is not too late to apply for a visa in the month of june since i am still waitnig for a new I-20, and how much should i have in my account balance since i am being funded.
@ prince84, I am waithng for a second I-20 to reflect my funding, i hope i will not be late in my application.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 8:20pm On May 10, 2009
@ kev-d

Congrats on ur first I-20 form and also the expected one with fellowship.You must really be a very brillant chap.

As for the money in your account,it depends on whether you are working or not.

Did you mention sponsor on your funding?if yes,u dont need much like that in ur personal acct.All you should bother abt really is your sponsor's acct and how to prove your relationship with him/her.

June is not too late for ur interview,once u have all ur other documents ready even before the arrival of ur I-20.Apply for interview as soon has you have ur I-20 form.

All the best with everything.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by wanville(m): 8:40pm On May 10, 2009
smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 9:09pm On May 10, 2009
@wanville

i understand how you feel as i know what a younger friend of mine went tru when he wanted to go to US for his BSc. but he later did his Bsc. here(a private Uni/) and used the same passport that he was denied with(they use stamps at the US embassy that time ) and still went for his masters in UK.

so dont give up.   .   .   .the best is yet to come!

Cheers!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2man: 3:54pm On May 11, 2009
My friend traveled to Kentucky as well last week Thursday with a student visa,He told me about the tips of the consular questions.Check it out,

1.How can you prove that you will come back to Nigeria after completing your Degree?
yes sir i will definitely come back,because I have my family here.as the first born of the 3children of my parent it is my moral duty to take care of my parents in their old age,moreover there are so many career opportunities in Nigeria, So i will come back to settle down and get a good job contribute to the development of my country ,

2.Did you get scholarship? If not why?
no i didn't apply for scholarship because the deadline was off and also the fee for my study was reasonable and affordable for my parent.

3.why going to study in US and not your country?
Firstly,I am very interested in Practical Knowledge which i may not be able to get in my country.Secondly,most of the Universities in usa are going in line with the latest technologies.it is going to be a great opportunity for me educating myself in those Technologies,and it would give me better options in future to develop my country.

4.Why this University?
I choose the University because the field I want to study,the University have well qualified lecturers for it and well equip practical laboratory and it is also affordable for my parent to pay for my school fees,

I have more of it, But the most important thing is before going to the usa embassy ask for God's favor from young and old and be your self.
I got my I-20 already for fall August, planing to book appointment for interview , I wish every one of us best of luck in Life,

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 9:01pm On May 11, 2009
hi pple, just got my i20 too though am yet to see it.
nice post there@james2man

question- do i need to pay sevis b4 booking interview date
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by wanville(m): 9:50pm On May 11, 2009
smiley
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kevd2: 9:04am On May 12, 2009
@rachiwise and wanville, pls i need help as i am in a dilemma, i am expecting a second I-20 showing funding from the university but i am told that i have to apply for an interview very early as i am expected to resume during the 1st week of august.

Should i go ahead and apply for interview with my first I-20 or do i wait patiently for second I-20 which may come by the end of the month?

the international office of the school advised me to apply early and use both I20's for the interview , what do you think?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 10:07am On May 12, 2009
It is really nice to hear positive news from ur guys,received I-20,scheduled dates for interview.  .  .  etc.

@ james2man

Thanks for ur contribution.And congrats on ur friend's visa.

Since u have ur I-20 form i will advice u to apply for interview asap.U can choose any convenient date.Just try to avoid rush and unnecessary anxiety due to late application.If u need any info on that go to All the best.

@ gongo aso

U r really funny  smiley .You have ur I-20 form and u have not seen it.Well, i guess someone in US got it on your behalf and it is to be sent down to you by courier.Well, a friend did the same  cool .

No, u dont have to pay SEVIS before you can apply.As soon as you get ur I-20,get ur 'N' no.(as explained above) and apply for interview.

@kev-d

To apply for interview at the embassy u need the no. on ur I-20 form which starts with 'N'.I really dont know if the 'N' no. on the new I-20 form will be diiferent from the first one.Try to find out about this from the international office in ur school.I advice you to apply early.   .   .   though i dont know if it is wise too stay that long but the end of this month is not too late for you to get your new I-20 form and apply for interview, I am sure you will still be able to get a date for at least June ending then.

@ All
I believe you can make your dreams come true.Perseverance is the key.

Go and make things work for you.

All the best y'all.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 5:26pm On May 12, 2009
lol@rachiwise
meant its arrived @my postal addy but am currently outta town grin

@wanville
the school pays for me while i give them a refund
well my school is a public school but i'll crosscheck with the school. tnx

anoda question, is nysc dischrge cert required at the interview
i want to book for an early date but my discharge cert will be ready in july undecided

by the way, who has any idea if one is getting grad asstship, is it same visa category one is to apply for i.e student visa (F1) or otherwise
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 11:39am On May 13, 2009
@ Gongo aso

U r to apply for F-1 visa as a student with more than 18 hours/week study plan in US with or without grad assistantship.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by UcheM2: 3:04am On May 14, 2009
Hi fellow prospective grad students; I am awaiting my I-20, though its been delivered by courier but I am yet to receive it.
I want to schedule a visaz appointment for June, but my question goes thus:

I have a Fixed Deposit Account (FDA) where my money is and a current account in which I do not have so much money. Do you advice that I move my money from the FDA to my current account? or I should just go with the certificate of investment for the FDA and my current account?

I am thinking of moving this FDA into the current account so that my present balance will be greatly increased and valuable! Please advice as I am aslo skeptical of moving money into my current account just a month before going to the embassy in order to avaoid any form of suspicions.

Am confused!!!!! Or do I just go with the FDA certificates and the small amount of money in my current account? please urgent advice needed.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2man: 3:05pm On May 14, 2009
Thank you @rachiwise ,@Gongo aso ,i wish every one of us the best and success in whatever we lay our hands on, @Gongo aso it is advisable to pay your sevis fee before going to the embassy,should in case you will need the receipt for you interview according to what people who have gone to the embassy said.this is my first time attempting it.
Best of Luck.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Akinbaba(m): 5:31pm On May 14, 2009
Uche M:

Hi fellow prospective grad students; I am awaiting my I-20, though its been delivered by courier but I am yet to receive it.
I want to schedule a visaz appointment for June, but my question goes thus:

I have a Fixed Deposit Account (FDA) where my money is and a current account in which I do not have so much money. Do you advice that I move my money from the FDA to my current account? or I should just go with the certificate of investment for the FDA and my current account?

I am thinking of moving this FDA into the current account so that my present balance will be greatly increased and valuable! Please advice as I am aslo skeptical of moving money into my current account just a month before going to the embassy in order to avaoid any form of suspicions.

Am confused!!!!! Or do I just go with the FDA certificates and the small amount of money in my current account? please urgent advice needed.

I sincerely advice you to go with the fixed deposit certificate,dont try to liquidate the fixed deposit and pay it into your current account,it brings about suspision, wish u all the best

@gongoaso,

Stop bodering urself about NYSC,they wont even mention it except you mention it.TRUST ME.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.