Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,501 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal (46271 Views)

Kenya Election 2017: Supreme Court Annuls Kenyatta Re-election / County Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing Gay Marriage Licenses (Photo) / US Gay Marriage: Robert Mugabe Asks Obama's Hand In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Prettyvhickie(f): 10:58pm On Jun 26, 2015
LaDivva:
Nope, can speak and write the simple ones
thats nice
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Swagt101(m): 10:58pm On Jun 26, 2015
LaDivva:

Lol, in exchange for Yoruba
grin... No p, si es atal,es atal cool
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Truckpusher(m): 11:01pm On Jun 26, 2015
LaDivva:

Très bien beau

Peux tu m'envoyer un message prive, j'aimerais apprendre a te connaitre?
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Audray(f): 11:01pm On Jun 26, 2015
EMEKA1MILLION:
When the westerners bring up some stupid believes and ideologies, we scramble to embrace them..
Now let's imagine that the world embraces homosexuality and everyone got a same Sex marriage. Fast forward 100 years from now and humans will be an endangered specie.
My country has a 14years jail term for it, when I become president you all homos will spend d rest of ur life in a correctional facility. angry sad
i dont think gay people force other people to be gay. Gay people have existed for thousands of years now and i dont see how tht has affected worldwide human population .gay people have been getting married in the USA , this ruling only officially legalised it,giving gay people who are also human beings their God given rights. And i dont see why this should be ur headache. That ur hateful comment here garnered a thousand likes and shares will not change a thing. You sir,are a victim of institutionalised homophobia. Why not jump off that retarded, unprogressive bandwagon and see that there is more to life than hating and judging people for who they love.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Truckpusher(m): 11:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
Prettyvhickie:

u too..and dont look at me grin
Iffa hear grin
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by KingTom(m): 11:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
Uncle Morris and Aunt Victoria, I see una handwork oooo grin grin grin
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by juman(m): 11:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
The religious people of the world against it.

Gay marriage against the God's command.

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Mnewton(m): 11:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
because it doesnt seem right to you does not make it wrong....we all have our opinion...we have elot of gay in naija.......US are only trying to justify freedom of choice...

6 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by kayalla(f): 11:04pm On Jun 26, 2015
next will be Nigeria.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 26, 2015
adconline:
After all this ruling, over 170m will experience power outage. Millions of Naija are without job! 2/3 of governors and FG are owing millions of Naija workers. Millions of Naija are going to bed without food. Over 10million Naija kids are not enrolled in school. BH and militants are in ccontrol of over 1/3 of Naija.. Where is the morality in all of these? Don't cry for US but WEEP for Naija!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by gtnofllwr: 11:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
kachnov:

smart fellow,didn't know all America has to offer was gay stuffs.Thanks for the enlightenment.

Ewu Ouagadougou

So what does America have that would justify enduring its racism, cold climate, and now the risk of turning you and your progeny into homosexuals.

Africans and our inferiority complex. SMH.

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by ademusiwa3: 11:14pm On Jun 26, 2015
I will walk from new York to DC when polygamy become official
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by pelezico: 11:19pm On Jun 26, 2015
damajoski:
nobody is forcing anybody to indulge in same sex marriage. They are simply allowed the right to choose.
You don't get it do you. It's not just marriage they are after it their right to be promiscuous and it extends to children. The right to engage with minors as long as they consent

Also i will add that here in the UK they want to legalise a union between more than two in marriage. Obviously since marriage has no definition now lgbt are asking why stop at 2 in a marriage why not 3 or 4

Also some want to change definitions so forget father ,mother son or daughters. Let's keep it neutral so lgbt are not offended
Don't be so gullible

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Alfred234(m): 11:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
Marthaodion:

Everyone was born straight. These talk about not been born straight are all lies. It is society laws like this that can change people and make them want to experiment.
I would have agreed with you that no one was born but then I read the story a guy who was blind from birth but still ended up being gay and it got me thinking. How can we justify that the guy wasn't really born that way?
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by fasa1touch(m): 11:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
Even the he-goats we be shocked at diz decision taken my humans

2 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by moses1987(m): 11:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
Mnewton:
because it doesnt seem right to you does not make it wrong....we all have our opinion...we have elot of gay in naija.......US are only trying to justify freedom of choice...

I almost threw up when I saw your comment. Justify? Soon other crime like rape, murder, will be justified and im sure u will support that too.

Gay is from the pit of hell, and you support it??

You need Jesus.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by maduxs: 11:23pm On Jun 26, 2015
Hope is not why Obama is inviting buhari on 20th of July to convince him about our gay marriage law
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by hensben(m): 11:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
EMEKA1MILLION:
When the westerners bring up some stupid believes and ideologies, we scramble to embrace them..
Now let's imagine that the world embraces homosexuality and everyone got a same Sex marriage. Fast forward 100 years from now and humans will be an endangered specie.
My country has a 14years jail term for it, when I become president you all homos will spend d rest of ur life in a correctional facility. angry sad
bro it will definitely come to that..'gayism' opposes marriage(anti-christ).
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jun 26, 2015
Again,Adam and Eve. Not Adam and Steve or Genevieve and Eve.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Sagamite(m): 11:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
CFCfan:
I always knew it would be difficult for the Supreme Court to justify the ban on same-sex marriage in some of the states. The 14th amendment, section 1 states that "...No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States".
The 5-4 ruling means that state courts shouldn't bar 2 people of the same sex from getting married; but churches and mosques still have the right to not conduct gay weddings.

The couple in the pic have been together for 55 years, and are set to get a marriage license in Texas

For how long? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This is why I have been telling many foools on NL who like to pride themselves with "Live and let live" and "I don't support homosexuality but whatever anyone does in private does not bother me" so lets not criminalise homosexual acts, that once you decriminalise it, YOU HAVE NO GROUNDS TO STOP ANYTHING.

They immediately have an argument:

- To marry.
- To adopt.
- To procreate through IVF.
- To show public affection anywhere.
- To be on your TV.
- To dance like freaks on your streets for Pride Day.
- To request your kids are indoctrinated positively about them.
- To set up pressure groups.
- To put companies and people in calumny for not supporting them.
- To sue anyone that publicly objects to them in commercial or religious setting.
- And more.

And there is no gaddam thing you can do about it.

In 1 year, they would be marrying in churches that are supportive.
In 5 years, the courts would be deciding to force unsupportive churches to conduct their marriage ceremony in a landmark discrimination case. And they will win.
In 10 years, the courts would be in fire deciding to force mosques to conduct their marriage ceremony based on the previous case. And some few homosexuals would just be killed for starting that war. They would win the court case, but not one single homosexual would dare exercise that right after the win and seeing that the people that brought the case are dead.

You can't stop them now. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by highskies(m): 11:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
gateleo:
The US Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal throughout the nation Friday in a much-awaited landmark decision that triggered wild jubilation and tears of joy.
In a 5-4 ruling, the highest court in the United States said the Constitution requires all 50 states to carry out and recognize marriage between people of the same sex.

President Barack Obama, in heartfelt remarks, praised the ruling as “a victory for America.” The court decision marked a fresh coup for the White House, coming a day after the Supreme Court upheld an important and disputed section of the president’s signature health care reform.

“Today we can say in no uncertain terms that we’ve made our union a little more perfect,” Obama said at the White House, which changed its Twitter avatar to the rainbow colors of the growing gay rights movement.

“This decision affirms what millions of Americans already believe in their hearts — when all Americans are treated as equal, we are all more free.”
It also made the United States the 21st country or territory in the world that recognizes same-sex marriage as legal.

He took a brief phone call from Obama, who told him: “Not only have you been a great example for people but you’re also going to bring about a lasting change in this country.

“And it’s pretty rare where that happens so I couldn’t be prouder of you and your husband. God bless you.”

Obergefell, who was live on television at the time, replied humbly: “Thank you, sir. That means an incredible amount to me.”
Also in the vast crowd outside court as the life-changing news filtered through were Robert Westover, 51, and Tom Fulton, 57, who hugged and kissed.

“It feels like my birthday, the prom, our wedding day. It’s hard to express the intensity of this moment, that our love now is equal,” Westover told AFP.
The case was brought by 14 same-sex couples, and the widowers of two gay couples, including Obergefell, who had challenged de facto bans on same-sex marriage in Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee.

All four states had insisted in their respective constitutions that marriage could only be a union between a man and a woman.
“The Fourteenth Amendment (providing equal protection under the law) requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State,” the court ruling said.

Marriage has been a core institution in society since ancient times, “but it has not stood in isolation from developments in law and society,” reasoned Justice Anthony Kennedy, who delivered the ruling.
To exclude them from marriage, Kennedy said, would deny same-sex couples “the constellation of benefits that the states have linked to marriage.”

Voicing dissent was Chief Justice John Roberts, who expressed concern that the court was making a decision better left to elected state legislatures.

“If you are among the many Americans — of whatever sexual orientation — who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today’s decision,” he said.

“Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits.

“But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it.”
The decision came two years to the day after the Supreme Court, in another major ruling, struck down a controversial federal law that denied US government benefits to wedded gays and lesbians.

“This transformative triumph is a momentous victory for freedom, equality, inclusion, and above all, love,” said Freedom to Marry, one of several groups battling for LGBT marriage rights.

“We’ll remember this day for the rest of our lives,” added the It Gets Better Project, another gay rights organization, in a mass email to supporters.

But the conservative Family Research Council expressed outrage, saying “no court can overturn natural law.”

“Nature and nature’s God, hailed by the signers of our Declaration of Independence as the very source of law, cannot be usurped by the edict of a court, even the United States Supreme Court,” it said.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, whose state has also prohibited same-sex marriage, said the fight going forward was now one of “religious liberty.”

“No court, no law, no rule, and no words will change the simple truth that marriage is the union of one man and one woman,” he said in a statement.

“Nothing will change the importance of a mother and a father to the raising of a child — and nothing will change our collective resolve that all Americans should be able to exercise their faith in their daily lives without infringement and harassment.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/supreme-court-makes-gay-marriage-legal/

May God punish the hypocrites. May His curse rein on anyone who supports, engages or feels this is right for any reason at all. Amiyn.

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by kachnov(m): 11:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
gtnofllwr:

So what does America have that would justify enduring its racism, cold climate, and now the risk of turning you and your progeny into homosexuals.

Africans and our inferiority complex. SMH.

Your statement hardly holds water.

Reread slowly what you wrote .
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by prudentcy(m): 11:37pm On Jun 26, 2015
Sooner or later it will tell on them.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Sagamite(m): 11:38pm On Jun 26, 2015
CFCfan:
I always knew it would be difficult for the Supreme Court to justify the ban on same-sex marriage in some of the states. The 14th amendment, section 1 states that "...No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States".
The 5-4 ruling means that state courts shouldn't bar 2 people of the same sex from getting married; but churches and mosques still have the right to not conduct gay weddings.

The couple in the pic have been together for 55 years, and are set to get a marriage license in Texas

Surprisingly, despite this amendment, the same US makes polygamy illegal and jailable.

What pure hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Kay17: 11:40pm On Jun 26, 2015
Sagamite:

Surprisingly, despite this amendment, the same US makes polygamy illegal and jailable.

What pure hypocrisy.

A literal reading of legal texts is hardly helpful nor healthy.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Sagamite(m): 11:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
Kay17:

A literal reading of legal texts is hardly helpful nor healthy.

How are you suppose to read it then to be very healthy?

As in, BUPA healthy o? grin
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Kay17: 11:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
Audray:
i dont think gay people force other people to be gay. Gay people have existed for thousands of years now and i dont see how tht has affected worldwide human population .gay people have been getting married in the USA , this ruling only officially legalised it,giving gay people who are also human beings their God given rights. And i dont see why this should be ur headache. That ur hateful comment here garnered a thousand likes and shares will not change a thing. You sir,are a victim of institutionalised homophobia. Why not jump off that retarded, unprogressive bandwagon and see that there is more to life than hating and judging people for who they love.

God given rights?! That is painful oxymoronic. God granting the homosexuals a right to perpetuate a scheme in direct opposition to his divine vision.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Sammy12302(m): 11:47pm On Jun 26, 2015
wettin concern agboro wit overload
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by wordcat(m): 11:48pm On Jun 26, 2015
EMEKA1MILLION:
it's a thought if we all should chose to be gay.. What happens to humanity?
Homosexuality is a disease, a sickness and utterly wrong...

That's a useless thought cos everbody can't be gay.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Kay17: 11:50pm On Jun 26, 2015
kgr8mike:
America where is your soul? Where is your identity? You were made to stand tall and be a light to the nations but now your light, you light has gone deem. You are no longer too far from Sodom, very close are you to that which God detest. My association with you oh America will henceforth be from a distance. Oh America, can this be you?

Legalize everything. Legalize gay marriage and legalize terrorism also since you want everyone to be himself. If everybody becomes himself- that is absolute freedom- freedom without restrictions- freedom without dos and don'ts. Such freedom is destruction. America, oh America where is your soul. I weep.
cry

The US is a secular state, do not judge it as a theocratic one. If you would create an absurdity.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Kay17: 11:52pm On Jun 26, 2015
Sagamite:

For how long? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This is why I have been telling many foools on NL who like to pride themselves with "Live and let live" and "I don't support homosexuality but whatever anyone does in private does not bother me" so lets not criminalise homosexual acts, that once you decriminalise it, YOU HAVE NO GROUNDS TO STOP ANYTHING.

They immediately have an argument:

- To marry.
- To adopt.
- To procreate through IVF.
- To show public affection anywhere.
- To be on your TV.
- To dance like freaks on your streets for Pride Day.
- To request your kids are indoctrinated positively about them.
- To set up pressure groups.
- To put companies and people in calumny for not supporting them.
- To sue anyone that publicly objects to them in commercial or religious setting.
- And more.

And there is no gaddam thing you can do about it.

In 1 year, they would be marrying in churches that are supportive.
In 5 years, the courts would be deciding to force unsupportive churches to conduct their marriage ceremony in a landmark discrimination case. And they will win.
In 10 years, the courts would be in fire deciding to force mosques to conduct their marriage ceremony based on the previous case. And some few homosexuals would just be killed for starting that war. They would win the court case, but not one single homosexual would dare exercise that right after the win and seeing that the people that brought the case are dead.

You can't stop them now. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

True, there is a public side to these so called privacy rights. It is indeed a paradox.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jun 26, 2015
Sagamite:

What pure hypocrisy.
Lol. I was reading an article on Politico about how polygamy should be legalized since the man and his multiple partners love themselves, and their love doesn't harm the community in any way.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Donald Trump Signs On A Woman's Chest During Campaign Visit In Iowa (Pics) / Tayyip Erdogan: Turkey Will Never Let Finland & Sweden Join NATO / Apple Fire Rages In California, Thousands Evacuated (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.