Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,252 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary - Religion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary (63259 Views)

Statue Of Mary 'begins Weeping Blood' At A Church In Argentina (photo) / How Jesus Christ Changed The World / MC Abbey's Act At The Experience Lagos 2016 (That Pastor Bamiloye Reacted To) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by nicepick02: 8:09pm On Jul 05, 2015
catholics worships semiramis,an ancient moon goddess,d mother and d wife of nimrod,d sun god,d founder of ancient babylon. dis old practice was infiltrated into the christian church during the 4th century and semiramis became mary,d mother of d sun god
dey gave birth a son and they named him tummuz,which is now jesus
the catholic church is an evil church
to know more about dem please contact me at
i am willing to share d gospel to you
we need jesus and him alone and nobody else
prince4real16@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Abdstrakt(m): 8:15pm On Jul 05, 2015
Kenchosen:

HAVE YOU NOT HAD JOHN 1:1-5 IT SAYS IT ALL WHO JESUS WAS AND IS AND TO COME.
A CARNAL MAN CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE THINGS OF GOD. SO I DON'T EXPECT YOU TO UNDERSTAND IT EITHER OK.

I'm a carnal man? Naaa, more like a rational man.
And you're what, a spiritual man yeah?
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by onyeka205(m): 8:17pm On Jul 05, 2015
John 14 verse 6 says "Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me". This is the final word, he who has ear, let him hear.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Greatfes17: 8:23pm On Jul 05, 2015
RapLawd:

Ask em, how is their so called prophets and men of God qualified to intercede between them and God!
They dont believe in intercetion but just few days ago, one of them insisted on my coming to their church service. Qouting that "my life will not remain the same after being prayed for by their pastor". I was like, is it this people that force magical powers on ignorant men?
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by stapes(m): 8:31pm On Jul 05, 2015
I don't know why we Christians are taking this issue like this. Imagine someone cursing his brother using thunder strike. Is it to prove your point that you'll sin against God?

We Christians should ask ourselves"what is the essence of Christianity? Even the word ' Christians',how was it derived. What correlation does this term has to do with the way we serve God. Why are we Christians. What was Christ's last commandment. Is it not evangelism? why evangelism? is it not for us to make heaven? Did Christ at any time command us concerning his mother.
Actually honouring Mary is good. But did any of Christ's apostles did anything notable concerning honouring Mary.
Perhaps finding the truth sincerely we help us or we go to God sincerely for understanding instead of making fools of ourselves.
May God help us.
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by An2elect2(f): 8:31pm On Jul 05, 2015
mildteddy:

I like you, An2elect2. You are smart and you seem to have a warm heart too.

awww honey kiss

2 Likes

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by RapLawd(m): 8:38pm On Jul 05, 2015
Greatfes17:
They dont believe in intercetion but just few days ago, one of them insisted on my coming to their church service. Qouting that "my life will not remain the same after being prayed for by their pastor". I was like, is it this people that force magical powers on ignorant men?

Lol,that's their style!!!

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Paschalp(m): 8:50pm On Jul 05, 2015
An2elect2:
Catholics worship a certain Mary not the Mary of the bible of course because if she were here she will rebuke them totally.

When i was a catholic, a priest tried explaining that passage to mean some kind of special blessing accrued to Mary. And He said something like "blessed are those who hear the word and keep it LIKE MARY"
I almost believed Him but i knew something was wrong with his interpretation. Jesus didn't say LIKE MARY. Where did he get that from? i thought! And how Jesus swiftly responded to the woman's words, bothered me,but all these things did not deter me from continuing with catholicism until God opened my eyes and pulled me out...I prolly would have still been a catholic.
. oh!! i always hope people don't misunderstand this issue shaa... as a legionary I believe she don't worship Mary... I have no prove... I just believe, st Paul said ... if u need a prove to worship the Lord, then u won't get it, you only need to believe...
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Alexmoses007: 9:03pm On Jul 05, 2015
Did the Isrealites worship the ark of the convenant?
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by honourhim: 9:05pm On Jul 05, 2015
mrmatt:
It is funny and hypocritical how members of these new generation churches can easily find chapters and verse to support their disrespect for the mother of Jesus Christ But can easily bow down in fear/praise and worship to their pastors', wives. Ask her to pray for them and do as they (pastors' wives) command. Common sense should tell us even though our overseers discourage us from calling her (Mary)name that she deserved to be honoured as the privilege mother of Christ. For me, the day I leave Catholic is the day I will stop going to church... There is no perfect church. I had once decided not to go to church anymore but I can't throw the baby away with the bath water. The most important thing is find a place to serve/worship God. And don't think your church is the best... The Real church is a building of beings which Christ is the corner stone. No constitutions says we should honour the mother/wives of Governors/president and other rich people?

you people can continue to pray to your silly Mary, the mermaid, but bear it in mind that its not Mary the mother of Jesus that you are praying to. She has no business with your occultic practice which u call prayers.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by prophetfire: 9:06pm On Jul 05, 2015
khachee:

There is a difference between reading and studying, go back and study that passage. Jesus didnt rebuke the woman.

And by the way honour is different from worship, catholics honour her

#my 2 cent
stop defending the indefensible? Catholics worship Mary. Period.

3 Likes

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by ehixking(m): 9:22pm On Jul 05, 2015
Do Catholics worship the saints? To worship someone is to acknowledge that the one who is worshiped is divine, is God. Sometimes we can confuse cultural gestures of reverence for gestures of worship. In doing so, we often judge not as God does, by what is in the heart, but rather by appearances (see Jn 8:15, Is 11:3).

Catholics hold saints in esteem because they are such wonderful images or mirrors of Christ. Paul several times exhorts his readers to be imitators of him: "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ" (1 Cor 11:1, also Phil 3:17, 1 Cor 4:16).

Mary is the first saint, and holds high honor today, as she did in the early Church. Over the course of history, devotion to Mary has taken many forms, and even has been confused with worship. Church teaching has consistently placed Mary in the company of the saints, however.

Devotion to the saints comes back to the theology of image: Christ is God's image, the saints are Christ's image. We honor them because we desire to imitate them. We pray to them the same as we call upon earthly friends to do a favor for us. This too, is scriptural. In Acts we read of Peter and John going up to the Temple for prayer and encountering a beggar. Peter says to him, "I have neither silver nor gold, but what I do have I give you: in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazorean, rise and walk" (Acts 3:6). Peter makes it clear that he has the power of Christ in his possession.

To be sure, it is Jesus who heals, but Peter holds the right to extend that power. The same can be said of Paul. In Acts 19:11-12 we read, "So extraordinary were the mighty deeds God accomplished at the hands of Paul that when face cloths or aprons that touched his skin were applied to the sick, their diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them." These texts are the basis of the Catholic practice of asking saints to help us, of honoring (not worshiping) the bodies and relics of saints.
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by cleverbe(m): 9:22pm On Jul 05, 2015
@ op.....come to think of it, does that mean that Angel Gabriel was high on Origin in Luke 1:28 wen he said "Hail, full of grace, blessed ar u among women" ?
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 05, 2015
Syncan:

Oh really?

If Abraham can hear us, (see the rich man and Lazarus) Lk 16:19-31....So Mary can hear.

Prayer. The communication with God is more a spiritual than physical thing, for God is a spirit. If you don't need her help,I have no problem with that, but don't condemn me for asking a righteous person to pray for me because "The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective". James 5:16

Jesus is the mediator, I agree, Yet it does not nullify (1Tim 2:1) "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men". St. Paul calls us to intercession, yet we know that Christ continues to intercede, since (Heb 7:24-25) says: "But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them". St Paul knows this eternal Intercessory role of Christ, yet he exhorts the faithful to "Intercessions for all men" without fear of contradiction, it therefore means that we can participate in these aspect of Christ's ministry according to the level of "bonding" between us and Jesus without anyone feeling that recognition is taking away from Christ.

The early church knew this and practiced it, As a matter of fact, the earliest manuscript containing that prayer you quoted is P470 (Pappyrus leaf number 470) dating as far back as 250AD.

My brother, where in the Bible is it stated that the saints who died in Christ intercede for the living? Why would you share the role of Christ with another being/individual entirely? Those who died in Christ are resting, awaiting the second coming of Christ. They are not engaged in any intercessory duty. It's unscriptural to ascribe any such place to them.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by ehixking(m): 9:40pm On Jul 05, 2015
prophetfire:
stop defending the indefensible? Catholics worship Mary. Period.

If after reading this you still believe catholics worship Mary it's either you have challenges understanding English language or you are on your own........

DO CATHOLICS WORSHIP MARY?

The answer to the above question depends on what one understands by the word worship. If by that word one means honoring the Virgin Mary in the same way we honor Christ her Divine Son, in that sense we do not worship the Mother of God. It is certainly the will of God, however, that we love and honor the Mother of Jesus; yet this is something essentially different from the homage we offer to her Son.

To God, the Supreme Being, the Creator and Lord of all creation, and to Him alone we offer ADORATION, which is the most fundamental act of religion. It is an act by which we fulfill the precept given by God to Moses: "I am the Lord, your God . . . You shall not have strange gods before Me." (Ex. 20:2) Adoration expresses man’s recognition of God’s infinite perfection and complete dominion over man’s life and being, and his total dependence on his Creator. From this it is clear that the worship of adoration should be given to no person apart from God.

However, God’s perfections are manifested in His creatures, and especially in His saints, who in a special way mirror the perfections of God. It is most fitting, then, that we offer them special homage because of the perfection that God has bestowed upon them, for the ultimate goal of our veneration and praise is always the God who made them, just as in praising a work of art, we are praising the artist who made it. And among the saints, we honor in a special way the Blessed Virgin Mary because of her sublime role as Mother of the Divine Redeemer, and because of the special privileges by which God has exalted her above all other human beings.

In any science, technical language is used to express more precisely the truths of that branch of knowledge. Likewise in theology, theologians use precise words to express the distinction between the devotion and honor offered to God, and that offered to the saints. That offered to God alone is adoration, expressed by the Latin word LATRIA. The veneration offered to the saints is expressed by the Latin word DULIA; and the special veneration offered to the Blessed Virgin Mary because of her unique prerogatives, is HYPERDULIA. We will focus our comments mainly on the last two elements of the above distinction, on the veneration of the saints, and especially of the Virgin Mother of God.

VENERATION OF THE SAINTS
Devotion to the saints takes the form of praise and imitation of their virtues, and of seeking their intercession before the throne of God. A failure to distinguish between the honor given to God directly- by adoration, and that given him indirectly- by veneration of the saints and invoking their intercession— has led to confusion and error. Some of the heretical sects of the middle ages (e.g. Cathari and Waldenses) denied the intercession of the saints and their knowledge of men’s prayers. A few centuries later the Confession of Augsburn (1530), approved by Martin Luther, rejected the intercession of the saints as prejudicial to Christ’s unique mediatorship. Zwingli and Calvin also rejected the doctrine of intercession. For this reason, Protestants still today for the most part do not pray to the saints for help, for they see devotion to them - and especially to the Blessed Mother - as taking away from the honor due to Christ.

The Catholic response to this came from the Council of Trent (1563). Appealing to the apostolic tradition and to the teaching of the Fathers and the preceding Councils, it directed that the faithful should be instructed that the saints intercede for men, and that it is "good and useful" to invoke them to obtain benefits from God, through Christ who is the sole Redeemer.

In the light of the above, we can understand why some non-Catholics suspect us of sinning against the first Commandment because of the honor we pay to the saints. This would be true if we paid them the divine worship that is due to God alone. But this we do not do. Even in the special honor we pay to the Blessed Mother, surpassing as it does the reverence we pay to the angels and all the other saints, is of an entirely different nature from the adoration we give to God alone.

St. Thomas Aquinas expresses this difference in relation to our prayer:

"Prayer may be offered to a person in two ways: first, as to be fulfilled by him; secondly, as to be obtained through him. In the first way we offer prayer to God alone, since all prayers ought to be directed to the acquisition of grace and glory, which God alone gives . . . But in the second way we pray to the saints, whether angels or men, not that through them God may know our petitions, but that our prayers may be effective through their prayers and merits . . . This is clear from the style employed by the Church in praying: since we beseech the Trinity to have mercy on us, while we ask the saints to pray for us." (II II, 83, 4)
When we pray to the Blessed Mother and the saints in heaven asking their help, we know that whatever graces and favors we receive come to us from God, through their intercession. If we value the prayers of our friends on earth, and feel that those prayers will help us, the prayers of our friends in heaven will be even more powerful, for as St. Thomas Aquinas says, "the more closely one is united to God, the more efficacious will be his/her prayers." (ibid. a.11)

The saints are God’s chosen friends, heroes in spiritual combat. It pleases God that we strive to imitate them; and He is pleased to show His love for them by dispensing His graces through their intercession. This does not in any way detract from the honor that is due to God. In our prayers to the saints we are not by-passing Our Divine Savior, but we seek their help because we are convinced that they can obtain graces and favors from Him more readily than we can. In every prayer we offer to Mary, for example, we are actually directing our prayer to God - through Mary. Just as Jesus came to us through Mary, so it pleases Him that we go to Him through Mary. And so we go to her with the plea that she will place our petitions before her Divine Son; and we are convinced that because of the boundless love of His Sacred Heart for His Mother, He will refuse her nothing.

DEVOTION TO MARY
God Himself honors the saints, and especially the Mother of Jesus, by the miracles He works and the graces and favors He grants through their intercession. He would not do so if He did not want us to seek His help in that manner. And so, for the devout Catholic, it is disturbing to find that devotion to Mary and the saints is a stumbling block to Christian unity; for after Christ, and because of the graces that Christ bestowed upon her, there is no one more dedicated to the cause of Church unity than the Mother of Jesus.

Catholics have a special devotion to the Virgin Mother of God, because of her unique role in the divine scheme of things because of her extraordinary fullness of grace - greater than that of all the other saints of heaven combined - and because of her great powers of intercession before the throne of God. If she has been exalted far above all others in the gifts that God has bestowed upon her, she is also the most humble, the most grateful, and the most submissive to the divine will. Apart from the sacred humanity of Christ, the pure soul of Mary gives God more glory than all of the rest of creation combined. All that she is, is God’s creation, God’s masterpiece; and in honoring her, we are honoring the God who made her. All her graces on earth and her glory in heaven stem from the unique privilege of her divine motherhood.

MARY IN GOD’S PLAN
From all eternity God not only foresaw the fall of our first parents, and the consequences of that fall, He foresaw the way in which He would repair the damage done. He would send His only Son - begotten from all eternity - to become a member of the human race, and to offer sufficient reparation for the whole human race to satisfy divine justice. But to fulfill that plan, He would seek the cooperation of a woman in whose womb the Divine Son would be conceived, and who would be His Mother in the fullest sense of the word. He would prepare that woman from the first moment of her conception with a fullness of grace and freedom from sin that would set her apart and above all other members of the human race. And what is especially significant, she would in a unique way be associated with her Divine Son in the redemption of mankind. She would be so intimately and so fully one with Him in the offering of that sacrifice and in winning for mankind its redeeming graces, that she would become the channel through which those graces would flow to individual souls.

In the light of this the Roman Pontiffs have not hesitated to refer to Mary as Co-Redemptrix with Christ, as redeeming the whole human race with Christ. There is no grace that comes to man that has not been merited for us by Christ; but theologians also point out that Mary merited everything that Christ merited, but in a different way. He merited those graces with a merit of strict justice (de condigno), while she merited those graces with a merit of fittingness (de congruo). Pope Pius X refers to this in his encyclical "Ad Diem Illum:"

"Mary, since she surpassed all in sanctity and union with Christ, and since she was joined to Christ in the work of human salvation, merited for us de congruo, as it is called, what Christ merited de condigno, and she is the chief minister in dispensing graces."

MARY’S CO-REDEMPTION
God seeks the cooperation of other persons in applying to mankind the graces won by His Son; but Mary, the Mother of Christ, had the special privilege of cooperating with Christ (in total dependence on Him) in the very acquiring of those graces. This co-operation, her intimate and profound sharing in His suffering, and the union of her self-oblation to the Father with that of her Son for the sins of mankind, are the basis of her universal role in the distribution of those redeeming graces to the whole human race.

Mary’s cooperation in Christ’s redemption began with her "yes" to the Archangel Gabriel at the moment of the Incarnation, and reached its climax on Calvary. Her consent to become Mother of the Redeemer, and her total surrender to the will of God throughout life, found its final fulfillment in her consent to her Son’s redeeming death. Thus she acquired certain rights - over and above those coming to her as Christ’s Mother - in the distribution of the fruits of the redemption.

For Mary, the sorrowful mysteries of her life did not begin with the passion and death of her Son. Through the whole of her life - after the Incarnation - there remained in the background of her mind the tragic end of her Divine Son. Because of her fullness of grace, she had a clear insight into the Scriptures. She knew that the promised Messiah would be a "man of sorrows" (Is. 53:3), that she was being asked to bring into the world a Child who, by His suffering and death, would redeem the whole of mankind. And as time went on, it became more clear to her that she had been called not merely to be the Mother of the Redeemer, but that God had called her to a mission of Redemptrix along with her Son.

While the Child of her womb was truly her Son, He was also from all eternity the Son of the Eternal Father, who would dictate the circumstances of His life. Hence, in Mary’s association with her divine Child, she renounced every motherly right she had on Him. It was the Father’s will, not hers, that would prevail. She made this renunciation when she offered Him in the temple 40 days after his birth. And in later years during His public life, as painful as it was for Mary when Jesus became the object of hatred and persecution by the religious leaders for pointing out their errors and mistakes, she would never have Him do otherwise than His divine mission required.

Just as we can never fathom the depth and extent of the sorrow and suffering of the Heart of Jesus who suffered so much from the rejection of souls for whom He gave His life; so we can never fathom the depth and extent of the sorrow and suffering of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, because we can never in this life grasp the fullness and depth of her love for her Son and for the Eternal Father who gave Him to the world. Having a love for God and neighbor beyond what we can conceive, and being called to be the spiritual mother of the human race, every rejection of Jesus was an additional wound in the soul of Mary. Only in the next life will we have some true concept of the suffering of those two redeeming Hearts in reopening Heaven for a sinful mankind.

Because Mary was free from the stain and effects of original sin, she was free from the pangs of childbirth in bringing Jesus into the world. However, because in the divine plan she was to be the New Eve, the new Mother for sinful mankind, God willed that the Mother of the Redeemer be intimately associated with her divine Son in His passion and death, to suffer intensely with Him who was redeeming the whole of mankind, since this intense suffering constituted the labor pains of her universal motherhood.

MARY’S MEDIATION
St. Paul wrote in his first epistle to Timothy: "There is one God and one mediator of God and men, the Man Jesus Christ." (2:5) In regard to St. Paul’s statement, St. Thomas Aquinas points out that while Christ alone is the perfect mediator, nothing prohibits Christ from associating others (angels and men) with Himself in his work of mediation, i.e. in raising man’s offerings to God, and bringing God’s gifts to men. (III, 26, 1) We, as members of the Mystical Body of Christ, are called to share in the work of bringing the redeeming fruits of His Passion to souls. This we do by our prayers, penances and good works.

But since, as we have seen, Mary’s redeeming role was coextensive with that of Christ her Son, but subordinated to it, her mediatorship, while subordinate to that of Christ, is universal - extending to all men and all graces, as Pope Pius X explains in his encyclical on the Immaculate Conception "Ad Diem Illum". However as theologians point out:

"This does not mean that our redemption is partly the work of Christ and partly the work of Mary. Our redemption is entirely from God, the first cause of grace; it is entirely from Jesus, the principal and perfect mediator; and it is entirely from Mary, a mediator fully subordinated to Christ. The position given to Mary is both an honor conferred upon her, which gives her a share in divine causality, and a concession to our weakness . . . Mary’s mediation adds nothing necessary to the universal, infinite mediation of Christ It is, however, of gret help to us." (Christ, and His Sacraments, Priory Press, p. 276)
While it does not appear in our present day calendar, in 1921 the Holy See approved for the universal Church the feast of Our Lady, Mediatrix of All Graces. She is Mother of us all. Her mediation is universal, extending to all men and to all graces that God grants to mankind. It follows that every grace or gift we receive from God, whether we pray to Mary or not, come to us through her. Even when we pray to God through the intercession of other saints, they seek it for us through Mary. Such is the divine plan.

If while on earth Jesus performed his first public miracle at the plea of His Mother, her power of intercession in heaven is far greater. As universal Mother, she knows and is concerned about our every need.

We are now in a better position to answer the question posed in the beginning: DO WE WORSHIP MARY? We do not offer her the homage of adoration, which is reserved for God alone; nor do we pray to her as if she alone could grant the graces and favors we seek. But knowing the redeeming role she shared with her Son, and knowing that she is the Mediatrix through whom God distributes all the graces won for mankind on Calvary, and knowing the great power of intercession she has before the throne of God, we do honor and venerate her in a special way, and seek God’s graces and favors through the intercession of her maternal and Immaculate Heart

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Alexmoses007: 9:45pm On Jul 05, 2015
Abraham is called our father in faith because he believed that even in his old age God could ad would still give him a child and even when he was demanded to sacrifice that child he still believed in God.
You can draw a parallel with Mary faith.... who believed that even without knowing a man she could conceive and at the foot of the cross unlike Isaac who was rescued, that her child Jesus was crucified.

God gave a command in the ten commandments "honor your father and your mother "

Solomon the wisest of men honored his mother in 1Kings2:19 by paying her homage and asking a throne to be provided for the king's mother who sat on his right

How do you think Jesus who is Wisdom Himself, who gave us the commandment to honor our parents has honored His mother.

My friend if you had the power to create your own mother how would you create her?

In the old testament God gave the exact specificactions of how the Ark of the Covenant should built with purest gold, the New Covenant is Jesus, the builder the Ark of the New covenant is God himself. Mary who bore Jesus in her womb is the New Ark of the Covenant. Imagine how God built where He was going to stay for nine months nay forever. I write this with so much joy because these blessings and privileges apply to us as well if we cooperate with God as Mary and all the holy people do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 05, 2015
Rich4god:
Just to add this extract from catholic.com

No one prays to dead saints, because those in heaven are more alive than we are. The Lord is God of the living, not of the dead. The fervent prayer of a righteous man is very powerful (Jas 5:16). Those in heaven are surely righteous, since nothing unclean can enter heaven (Rv 21:27). Those in heaven are part of the Mystical Body of Christ and have not been separated from us by death, but surround us as a great cloud of witnesses (Heb 12:1). They stand before the throne of God and offer our prayers to him (Rv 5:cool and cheer us on as we run the good race. Intercession among members of the body of Christ is pleasing to God (1 Tm 2:1-4) and even commanded by him (Jn 15:17). Those in heaven have a perfected love, so how could they not intercede for us? Christ is the vine, and we are the branches; if we are connected to him, we are inseparably bound together as well. Can the eye say to the hand, "I need you not"? Neither are we to say we don’t need the prayers of our brothers and sisters (alive here or in heaven), because salvation is a family affair.

Read James 5:13-18. It's talking about prayers of righteous people on earth. There is no reference to heaven there.

Having gone through the book of revelations severally, I've never seen where the saints who are in heaven were reported to be praying for those on earth. The only mention of them is where they worship the One who sits on the throne and the Lamb (Rev 7:9-17).

You guys should tell yourselves the truth. The origin of worship of Mary didn't start with the early church. The events of the early church are as recorded in the book of Acts and in the epistles. None of the Apostles (whether Paul, Peter, John, James who wrote epistles to the church) made reference to Mary. It was during the dark days of the church when the church had to lower it's bar to accommodate Roman customs that Mary came into the picture, as a replacement of the then Roman goddess. So when you hear things like Queen of heaven, obviously the real reference isn't to Mary the earthly mother of Jesus.

Please it's plain idolatry to pray to or ascribe any special honour to Mary or any of the saints of old. The early church after pentecost didn't do such, yet God wrought wonders through them.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by nyabinghi(m): 9:53pm On Jul 05, 2015
DennisEche:

i pity you boy...... Know the truth amd it shall set you free
why turn things upside downan read john 5 30 , dtop worshipping someone that sucked boobs as a child, Almighty God didn't suck breasts like jesus
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 05, 2015
italo:
So Jesus did not repeat the same prayer 3 times?

grin
It wasn't 3 times at once. It was at different times. The fact that you asked God to help u pass your exams yesterday doesn't mean you shouldn't pray again today, till u get your answers. That was what Jesus did.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 05, 2015
italo:

And praise is not prayer?

Who is your "pastor" or G.O?

Praise is totally different from intercession. You guys ask Mary and the saints to intercede for you, and not to praise God for you. Praising God is their duty in heaven, but intercession isn't.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Alexmoses007: 10:06pm On Jul 05, 2015
onyeka205:
John 14 verse 6 says "Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me". This is the final word, he who has ear, let him hear.

So does the above quote stop you from asking someone to pray for you.
Does your pastor pray for you?
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by DonXavi(m): 10:06pm On Jul 05, 2015
U
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by izutex007(m): 10:09pm On Jul 05, 2015
honourhim:
Luke 11:27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. 28 [b][/b]But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

We can see in the scripture above that Christ didnt give support to the slightest worship of his mother yet people wont hear.

if this about getting ur post to the FP...bro. U just did. But waht nxt?

The energy u just wasted culd b used to talk unbelivers in2 salvation.

PS.

Can u explain the undeniable presence of the Holy Spirit in the catholic church?

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Alexmoses007: 10:11pm On Jul 05, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Praise is totally different from intercession. You guys ask Mary and the saints to intercede for you, and not to praise God for you. Praising God is their duty in heaven, but intercession isn't.

Who told we do not ask the Angels and Saints to join us as we pray in adoration, praise, thanksgiving etc to God? We do that. And it gives your prayers more power. Try it

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by izutex007(m): 10:13pm On Jul 05, 2015
Bro. Stop MiSLeading pple... Since u claim to knw the evils in the catholic church...how many ''total unblivas hv u lead to Jesus?

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 05, 2015
Alexmoses007:

Who told we do not ask the Angels and Saints to join us as we pray in adoration, praise, thanksgiving etc to God? We do that. And it gives your prayers more power. Try it

Praising God is their job in heaven. Interceding for the living, isn't. Why is it hard for you to understand?

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Alexmoses007: 10:41pm On Jul 05, 2015
How many times did God say for the sake of David my servant even though David was not on earth
During the transfiguration Jesus spoke to Moses and Elijah.
Perhaps you would also blame Jesus for speaking to them since they had left the world. God is the God of the living and not the dead

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by charlyblondy: 10:46pm On Jul 05, 2015
jnrbayano:

Deliver:
save, rescue, or set someone or something free from
<<Google>>
Maybe you missed this
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by VcStunner(m): 11:14pm On Jul 05, 2015
johnw74:

The rcc rosary is saying the hail mary 10 times followed by the our Father
then another 10 hail marys followed by .... and so on.

Mat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Mat 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Christians pray directly to Father God.

befor u read dat holy book again, u shuld pray very well for spiritual guidance aii? So go ahead and REPEAT d lords prayer. Save urself the strenght of argument and worship God in spirit and truth. The verse u quoted is saying a lot about meditation but u can't effectively meditate if u can't garther ur tots together, the catholic rosary, d islamic bead, the hindu beads etc etc are not a form of prayer but a guide to meditation. The alchemist will tell u to say "may my 2 become one and let my work be established" and continue dat for ours until d law of attraction creates a sync btw ur desire and ur tots. Its deep but its dat simple. Crave for righteousness, cuz making heaven is not by condemnation of contrary belief but by grace sir.

2 Likes

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by ideatoprince18(m): 11:26pm On Jul 05, 2015
witnezHD:
Catholics worship that ho.....
........I guess u also call ur mom a ho?!!!
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Mcowubaba: 11:32pm On Jul 05, 2015
As Christians the Only Divine Authority we need is- The Holy Trinity GOD the Father GOD the Son (Jesus christ) GOD the Holy Ghost!!!
QED!!

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by stuhporh: 11:35pm On Jul 05, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Read James 5:13-18. It's talking about prayers of righteous people on earth. There is no reference to heaven there.

Having gone through the book of revelations severally, I've never seen where the saints who are in heaven were reported to be praying for those on earth. The only mention of them is where they worship the One who sits on the throne and the Lamb (Rev 7:9-17).

You guys should tell yourselves the truth. The origin of worship of Mary didn't start with the early church. The events of the early church are as recorded in the book of Acts and in the epistles. None of the Apostles (whether Paul, Peter, John, James who wrote epistles to the church) made reference to Mary. It was during the dark days of the church when the church had to lower it's bar to accommodate Roman customs that Mary came into the picture, as a replacement of the then Roman goddess. So when you hear things like Queen of heaven, obviously the real reference isn't to Mary the earthly mother of Jesus.

Please it's plain idolatry to pray to or ascribe any special honour to Mary or any of the saints of old. The early church after pentecost didn't do such, yet God wrought wonders through them.

You are very correct,
[b]Constantine [/b]during his time just sent in pagan soldiers and citizens into the sea and ordered them out, and he said they all have been baptized so they changed their names to christian names.
Idolatory found its way into the church via this forceful conversion, then we had statues coming in into the church.

the early Christians that had hot passion for the love of GOD and preaching of his gospel did not at any point refer honour to mary whil praying to their GOD, and they didnt ask her at any point to intercede for them.

MARY DIDN'T DIE A VIRGIN
Mary didn't die a virgin so why are you calling her Virgin Mary? she had other children after Jesus Christ.

IF Catholics believe JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER why do you need Mary to intercede for you? when in truth, we pray to GOD through his son (Jesus), whom is the only way to him. Yes, Mary was blessed amongst other women, for she was lucky to be chosen for the task.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply)

RCCG Bans Long Beard At Weddings (Beard Gang Grooms And Groomsmen) / Is This Bird Witchcraft Sacrifice Or What? (Photo) / Man Whose Sister Was Murdered Denounces Jesus (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.