Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,762 members, 7,820,651 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation (42754 Views)

Workers Day : Drama As Workers Reject Being Addressed By Perm Sec. / Budget Padding: EFCC Writes Clerk, Perm Sec- The Nation / Revealed! Buhari Illegally Kept Shu’ara As Perm Sec To Spy On Kachikwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by porka: 1:54am On Jul 13, 2015
philips70:

If they run the election again and APC presents a dog, it will still win the PDP. Do you know what is called mass destruction? That's what PDP did to this country. PDP is Conan the destroyer.

[size=13pt]And the same PDP provided the institutional frameworks for free and fair elections that your 'APC dog' would ride on?

What a destruction.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by porka: 2:01am On Jul 13, 2015
agabusta:

You are trying to be smart comparing the Clerk of the NA with INEC. The clerk does not have the constitutional power to change the senate rules. Be informed that the senate rules is made by the senate for the senate. Any modification has to go through the senate and adopted by the senate. What the Clerk with connivance with some senators did is ultra vires.

[size=13pt]Go to court.

You do not have the powers to interpret the laws, the courts have. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by amaben2020(m): 2:03am On Jul 13, 2015
ORACLE1975:
I think the PS is wrong to have refused to honor that
invitation. Both arms of government have power to
make Nigeria governable. The president does not have
to submit you to go before you do. You need to tread
wisely as those giving you the courage to ignore the call
of the powerful house will also walk you out of your
office. Buhari said he will be guided by the Constitution
of the Fed republic of Nigeria. If there is anything wrong
in our finances, you have to yield to the call of the house
to verify such. The Senate and House are their to
checkmate the activities of Mr President. This is how
we know that the change we voted for is still intact.#teamchange
everything you said made sense except for the team change slogan
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by amaben2020(m): 2:05am On Jul 13, 2015
senier007:
Karma is a B**tch, it hits you when you feel you are untouchable, and Army, Police, Court can't help you on this one since you disrespected both your fada and the party that brought you to power, when you disrespected your fada we didn't intervene cuz it's family issue unknown to us, you are turning yourself to a monster like and must be stopped or rubbished at all cost. I am a fulani man but I will vote for Asiwaju a millions times than to waste my vote on Atiku, dangote and the sarakis of this world. Jagaban Borgu till mahdi comes.
you are a fool, is jagaban borgu your god? Muslims sef, so gullible
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by amaben2020(m): 2:08am On Jul 13, 2015
that permanent sec is in hot soup

1 Like

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by agabusta: 2:20am On Jul 13, 2015
porka:

[size=13pt]Go to court.

You do not have the powers to interpret the laws, the courts have. [/size]

Chill, the movie is yet to come to an end yet. The police is already investigating the said alteration. After they are through with their investigations, they will charge any person found culpable to court.
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Ghandi12: 2:25am On Jul 13, 2015
CFCfan:

That will lead to anarchy. If Saraki and the Senate [/b]decide to be a "stumbling block", good old dialogue and politicking could be explored.
Besides, I don't think there is any provision in the constitution or the Senate rules, which allow a President to make "recess" appointments.

My Brother there is no [b]Saraki and the Senate
as things were now. Realistically, what we have now is : APC-51, Saraki-8 and PDP-49. Saraki-8 are more PDP-leaning (hence not trusted by APC founders). Anarchy in the Senate or the entire NASS may not necessarily translate into anarchy in the System.

Interestingly, while the Nigeria Constitution specifies certain Presidential appointees MUST be vetted by the Senate it is, however, silent on: if the Senate actually have the powers to disqualify any appointee, and or if the President chooses to ignore Senate report.

In summary the 1999 Constitution gives so much powers to the Presidency. It has many legal loopholes that can be explored by a smart Presidency to make NASS irrelevant in discharging its core duties. Only the Judiciary can interpret or give directions on these "holes".

Examples have been set under OBJ, Yaradua and GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by porka: 2:25am On Jul 13, 2015
MrCounselor:

I don't understand your problems with ministers.
What if PMB decides to stick with the perm secs fro the next 4years then?
He has been using them and Nigeria have not collapsed yet. After a year Nigerians will actually know he's unwilling to appoint any Zap.ing minister, maybe by then you would be calling him Baba Snail.
Grow out of the archetypal minister-strewn government... I can live without them. What good came out of Allison Maduekwe being a petroleum minister, or people who knows nothing about avaition yet being a misnister there just to appoint someone as minister. Mmtschew.
Cut PMB some slacks, people.

[size=13pt]You people should learn to live within laid down guidelines.

It is not what you want to happen or wish or what you think is the ideal. It's the LAW dammit! If you think the LAW is not working, change it.

There's a reason the LAW says there shall be ministers appointed by the president. There's a reason the LAW says these ministers so appointed serve as Executive Council of the Federation. Their functions are stated therein.

One of the most important functions of FEC is constituting a MEDICAL REVIEW BOARD in the case of president's health complications. They set up a medical panel to examine the state of health of the president to determine if he can still function as the chief executive of the country.

What happens if the dullard suddenly falls sick? If what happened during Yaradua era should happen now, the country would be in deep trouble.

It's obvious you people are just learning how a federal government is run (are you even learning?) but you should not attempt to bring silly arguments to justify lack of grasp of issues.

Not obeying the law is CORRUPTION. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by porka: 2:34am On Jul 13, 2015
agabusta:

Chill, the movie is yet to come to an end yet. The police is already investigating the said alteration. After they are through with their investigations, they will charge any person found culpable to court.

[size=13pt]They should do that bearing in mind that the verdict is still the court's.[/size]
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by myrates: 2:34am On Jul 13, 2015
scribble:

Thiis APsheittes will turn Nigeria to animal farm
Exactly my thought..
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 13, 2015
SporaD8:
Test of loyalty for the permanent secretary.
With pmb yet to appoint Finance minister, Senate invitation of perm. sec is like usurping the power of the Executive.
The Senate has the power to summon a Perm sec or any other Executive official, except the president and VP.
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by porka: 2:44am On Jul 13, 2015
Ghandi12:

My Brother there is no Saraki and the Senate as things were now. Realistically, what we have now is : APC-51, Saraki-8 and PDP-49. Saraki-8 are more PDP-leaning (hence not trusted by APC founders). Anarchy in the Senate or the entire NASS may not necessarily translate into anarchy in the System.

Interestingly, while the Nigeria Constitution specifies certain Presidential appointees MUST be vetted by the Senate it is, however, silent on: if the Senate actually have the powers to disqualify any appointee, and or if the President chooses to ignore Senate report.

In summary the 1999 Constitution gives so much powers to the Presidency. It has many legal loopholes that can be explored by a smart Presidency to make NASS irrelevant in discharging its core duties. Only the Judiciary can interpret or give directions on these "holes".

[size=13pt]1) The constitution expressly stated how funds should be appropriated by the National Assembly. The president can only spend within what the National Assembly appropriates.

2) The constitution is very clear on the IMPEACHMENT proceedings of the president and the vice president.

3) A certain Bode Agusto was rejected by the Senate and was refused clearance as a ministerial nominee thereby setting a CLEAR precedence on the Senate's powers to approve or reject a president's nominee.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Luukasz(m): 2:47am On Jul 13, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
And the cookie keeps crumbling, APC will self destruct before june next year
LMAO...Pro PDP & GEJ will wait till eternity for APC to Crumble keep on waiting while your already Messed up life's is getting Messier
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 13, 2015
Ghandi12:

My Brother there is no Saraki and the Senate as things were now. Realistically, what we have now is : APC-51, Saraki-8 and PDP-49. Saraki-8 are more PDP-leaning (hence not trusted by APC founders). Anarchy in the Senate or the entire NASS may not necessarily translate into anarchy in the System.

I believe the Senate has the power to "disqualify" a President's nominee.
As you said, the Senate has the power to vet some Presidential nominees. But if the Senate fails to confirm that nominee, that nominee cannot be sworn in as a substantive executive officer (Minister, DG etc).

In essence, the Senate's failure to confirm a nominee is also a disqualification by the Senate.
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by samguru(m): 2:57am On Jul 13, 2015
I am not a constitutional lawyer,but I think Saraki cannot summon A permanent secretary to the National Assembly to brief the house on the state of the finance.

technically speaking Buhari is the Minister of all Ministries, if at all Saraki wants to any information in that Ministry, the best way to go about it is to write him through Presidency.

Besides, The Best person to shed light on this matter is CBN governor.
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Nobody: 3:28am On Jul 13, 2015
ORACLE1975:
I think the PS is wrong to have refused to honor that
invitation.

GUY WHAT YOU THINK DOES NOT MATTER

HOW CAN YOU INVITE SOMEONE WITHOUT FIRST INFORMING HIS BOSS?
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 3:41am On Jul 13, 2015
midolian:
Saraki don spoil hinself. He will go down in history as the most disrespected senate president as a result of the treacherous means through which he occupied that exalted seat.

Even so, the PermSec is not a political appointee and reports directly to the President, for now..... until a Finance Minister is appointed.

Saraki can as well invite PMB himself to come and give account. wink wink wink

I remember that even Dezianni Allison Madueke, the former "thieving" Petroleum Minister, IGNORED A SENATE INVITATION for a very long time, until GEJ lost the elections!

I thought they say Buhari is a dullard, right, let the chess game begin.

"Those who sow wind, should be ready to reap a whirlwind"

Saraki is like "the Chicken that decided it wants to perch on a line, the line will not rest,.... neither will the chicken"!
undecided undecided

At the end of the day, the likes of Saraki, Dongara, Ekweremadu and other usurpers of the vote of Nigerians will realize the mistake they made ab initio

2 Likes

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 3:47am On Jul 13, 2015
CFCfan:

As you said, the Senate has the power to vet some Presidential nominees. But if the Senate fails to confirm that nominee, that nominee cannot be sworn in as a substantive executive officer (Minister, DG etc).

In essence, the Senate's failure to confirm a nominee is also a disqualification by the Senate.

Wrong, going by PRECEDENTS!

Obanikoro was not confirmed by the Senate!...and he was sworn-in as a Minister.
Go back and look at the video of what happened in that scenario.

GEJ, with the connivance of that stewpid Senate President then, just 'overode' that provision.

And be reminded that the President also has a VETO POWER to overrule a Senate Decision.

as they say "TWO can PLAY the GAME"

"Round Three" is about to begin. Saraki, l hope you will survive sha?
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 3:56am On Jul 13, 2015
porka:

[size=13pt]You people should learn to live within laid down guidelines.

It is not what you want to happen or wish or what you think is the ideal. It's the LAW dammit! If you think the LAW is not working, change it.

There's a reason the LAW says there shall be ministers appointed by the president. There's a reason the LAW says these ministers so appointed serve as Executive Council of the Federation. Their functions are stated therein.

One of the most important functions of FEC is constituting a MEDICAL REVIEW BOARD in the case of president's health complications. They set up a medical panel to examine the state of health of the president to determine if he can still function as the chief executive of the country.

What happens if the dullard suddenly falls sick? If what happened during Yaradua era should happen now, the country would be in deep trouble.

It's obvious you people are just learning how a federal government is run (are you even learning?) but you should not attempt to bring silly arguments to justify lack of grasp of issues.

Not obeying the law is CORRUPTION. [/size]

All these your Turanshi is still at the behest of the President.
He may decide not to appoint Minister(s).

OBJ did not appoint a Petroleum Minister through his Eight years in office and it was okay! Or was he impeached for that?
If you have a personal gain from appointment of Ministers (hangers-on and PA's), then say so and stop foaming!

Where was that FEC "Medical review Board" when Yar Ardua was comatose for many months and they were mute or clueless on what was going on?
When an offense is created, a punishment is always attached to it. Otherwise, it just becomes an "ADVISORY STATEMENT".

Tell me where we can find the PUNISHMENT for a President, for NOT appointing a Minister!
Site that place in the Nigerian constitution and l will clap for you.

As it is, you are still a "baby", on the inner workings of a Federal Govt and the 1999 Constitution

2 Likes

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Ghandi12: 3:58am On Jul 13, 2015
porka:

[size=13pt]1) The constitution expressly stated how funds should be appropriated by the National Assembly. The president can only spend within what the National Assembly appropriates.
[/size]

I do not think this is the main theme of this issue. I am not trying to hold brief for the PS but one can easily deduce the following from the exchanges: The SP invited the PS to debrief on state-of-the-Nation finances, the PS appeared to have seeked clearance from her Superiors (especially considering the cordiality between her direct Superiors and the NASS Heads). It appears she did not get a go-ahead and officially communicated this to the SP while copying her Superiors. It is unfair to blame her for any wrongdoing while we all know the Politicians (SP and PMP) should be the ones settling their differences.

porka:

[size=13pt]1) 2) The constitution is very clear on the IMPEACHMENT proceedings of the president and the vice president.
[/size]

Please do not go there. Most of the APC Hons in NASS today rode on the brand "Buhari-CHANGE" to get to where they are. Have you ever seen any APC dissident, publicly, criticized Buhari. They will rather take out their anger on Oyegun, Tinubu or any other "less-poisonous" prey Constitutional requirements for impeaching a Nigerian President has made it almost impossible to attempt in the 2015 Nigeria.

porka:

[size=13pt]1)
3) A certain Bode Agusto was rejected by the Senate and was refused clearance as a ministerial nominee thereby setting a CLEAR precedence on the Senate's powers to approve or reject a president's nominee.[/size]

Bode Agusto was unlucky. From the 7th NASS all you need is the support of the 3 Senators from your state and the unflinching backing of the President then you are home and dry. From 1999 to date many of NASS resolutions have fallen on deaf ears of the Executives.
I have a copy of the 1999 Constitution beside me now could you, please, point a place to me where it categorically gives the Senate power to disqualify a nominee or and where it mandates the President to accept Senate decision on any appointee.
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 4:03am On Jul 13, 2015
barrym1122:
Hello , i am Barry from Florida, i am 50 years old, i saw a comment posted by Jenny Louis from New York, on how she was free from skin cancer with cannabis CANNABIS OIL by doctor Doris, I was diagnosed of HIV infections for the pass two years , I contacted jenny Louis and she told me that this very doctor cures HIV cancer , and he also cures HIV/AIDS too, then I contacted Dr Doris, so he told me what to do to get healing and free from HIV , so I make provisions for the HERBAL CREAM which I used for two weeks and now just to see that the exact week which doctor Doris told me I we be healed I was felling good and healthy , my skin regained, I went for check up in the hospital and my doctor told that me that all the virus disappeared from my blood vessels and normal, then I made a promise to Dr Doris that I will testify of his good herbal work to the world, so I will like you to contact him on(dorisespelltemple@gmail.com ) if you have any health issue I believe Dr Doris will help you.

Noted, ...........now stop disturbing our peace here. angry angry

Goodluck to you and your Doctor Doris.
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Nobody: 4:06am On Jul 13, 2015
Excuzeme:

Wrong, going by PRECEDENTS!

Obanikoro was not confirmed by the Senate!...and he was sworn-in as a Minister.
Go back and look at the video of what happened in that scenario.

GEJ, with the connivance of that stewpid Senate President then, just 'overode' that provision.

And be reminded that the President also has a VETO POWER to overrule a Senate Decision.

as they say "TWO can PLAY the GAME"

"Round Three" is about to begin. Saraki, l hope you will survive sha?
Again, the Senate's approval or confirmation can take any form, based on Senate rules.

David Mark held a voice vote in the chambers, with a majority of Senators voting "Yea". So the voice votes confirmed Obanikoro.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/following-senate-tradition-obanikoro-confirmed-minister-opposition-cries-foul/203912/
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Ghandi12: 4:12am On Jul 13, 2015
CFCfan:

Government operate with the Constitution and laws.

I have a copy of the 1999 Constitution beside me now could you, please, point a place to me where it categorically gives the Senate power to disqualify a nominee and or where it mandates the President to accept Senate decision on any appointee.
As it were now the NASS is as powerful as the Presidency support it to be.
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 4:14am On Jul 13, 2015
CFCfan:

Again, the Senate's approval or confirmation can take any form, based on Senate rules.

David Mark held a voice vote in the chambers, with a majority of Senators voting "Yea". So the voice votes confirmed Obanikoro.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/following-senate-tradition-obanikoro-confirmed-minister-opposition-cries-foul/203912/

Thisday account is not reliable as it is partisan.
I watched it on Channels TV live.

David Mark just said Obanikoro should "Take a Bow" while he ignored the calls for a vote count, knowing that Obanikoro will not sail through an actual vote count.

Having said that , dont let us go on a tangent to the issue being discussed here.
My point is that PMB and the PermSec are on safe grounds with regards to appointment of Ministers and ignoring the Saraki invitation, respectively.
...Except you can show me in the constitution, where an "offense and punishment" was "created and stipulated" respectively.

1 Like

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by mykelly(m): 4:16am On Jul 13, 2015
Iykopee:
Are these guys in APC wired to reason like animals? Oh becos saraki legally wangled his way to the top, he shud be disrepected eh? Little wonder the president is a daura zombie.
incase you don't know you are more of an animal/zombie than those you are insulting coz if your brain is functional you will not type gibberish

2 Likes

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 4:20am On Jul 13, 2015
millionaireman:

Have you ever heard the saying: "more heads are better than one"? The longer PMB presides over Nigeria without ministers, the more Nigeria retrogresses. Perm secs are mere civil servants, not politicians who plan for a country.

You are really very dumb!
please stop spewing rubbish!
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Sirbun: 4:23am On Jul 13, 2015
This Nass will be the Problem of this regime unless thing are fix urgently
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by africanusvu(m): 4:24am On Jul 13, 2015
Borrowing a leaf from Bihari who also shuns Saraki,Buhari trying to destroy his gvt with hate,
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by adconline(m): 4:26am On Jul 13, 2015
midolian:
Saraki don spoil hinself. He will go down in history as the most disrespected senate president as a result of the treacherous means through which he occupied that exalted seat.
Only willfully ignorant folks like you would believe that Saraki doesn't wield so much power. He will block PMB nominees for ministers, ambassadors, agencies like EFCC, ICPC, justices of high court, court of appeal and Supreme Court, Defence Chiefs, CBN governor.. He can refuse to pass national budget. He can ground Buhari. Go and read how Chuba Okadigbo and Ghali Uma N'Abba crippled OBJ
Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 4:30am On Jul 13, 2015
adebisicutie:

You are forgetting that the Senate President has no immunity and thee have been many accusations trailing him from his time as a Governor. All
Buhari would have to do is have EFCC deal with him and the deputy senate president can be taken care of. Saraki knows not to step out of line where Buhari is concerned plus the northerners will turn on him so fast and the SW can't stand him already

From his time in wrecking Societe General Bank where his charge-sheet was hushed under the carpet, by the powers that be, back then.
I tell you, PMB only needs to ask the EFCC to "dig deeper" and then ask that the EFCC to take the charge-sheets to court where a Judge will have no option that to convict Saraki the criminal and that will be the end of these Nollywood Video!
OBJ used that tactics very effectively, in his days (read: Nuhu Ribadu)

As of now, Saraki is "breaking down all his own defences". He has lost the APC support, He has lost the South West Support, He has lost the Presidents Support, He has lost the respect of the Civil Servants, e.t.c.
When the time comes, even the PDP will do "a deal" on him, to get their own way. Its all Politiics

Saraki is like the proverbial "Palm wine tapper who is climbing the palm tree way beyond the branches". grin
We all know what will happen next! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Finance Perm Sec. Ignore Saraki's Invitation by Excuzeme: 4:33am On Jul 13, 2015
adconline:

Only willfully ignorant folks like you would believe that Saraki doesn't wield so much power. He will block PMB nominees for ministers, ambassadors, agencies like EFCC, ICPC, justices of high court, court of appeal and Supreme Court, Defence Chiefs, CBN governor.. He can refuse to pass national budget. He can ground Buhari. Go and read how Chuba Okadigbo and Ghali Uma N'Abba crippled OBJ

Did you say CRIPPLED OBJ?
The last time l checked, these folks you mentioned were simply IMPEACHED.... while OBJ continued to govern for 8years!

or are you drunk on some Goat urine? grin grin

And let me add that the current EFCC or ICPC Boss will go the extra length to impress a sitting president, if it means digging up the dirt on Saraki!
Already we are seeing such behaviour with the Governors they ahve taken to court! undecided grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Peoples Democratic Party Changes Name?? / GEJ And Wife, Patience, Planning To Assassinate Me-Rev. Fr. Mbaka / IPOB Members In Jewish Apparel Storm High Court Ahead Of Nnamdi Kanu's Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.