Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,674 members, 7,813,244 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Showcasing Igbo culture - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Showcasing Igbo culture (64967 Views)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2009
How kind of u. Make sure u FedEx the food to him please and make sure its warm enough so it wont be cold when it's delivered. One more thing dont forget to add a lot of poison in the food, doctors prescribed some for him yesterday. Get the list of him and add them, am sure he would be pleased. At least he wont need to swallow them raw. angry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by AloyEmeka9: 10:43pm On Mar 14, 2009
I hate snails
Tufiakwa!
You hate the healthiest ntanta in the world?. Ndo nne ooh. You sabi cook okazi soup?
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 11:34pm On Mar 14, 2009
Ikomi:

How kind of u. Make sure u FedEx the food to him please and make sure its warm enough so it wont be cold when it's delivered. One more thing dont forget to add a lot of poison in the food, doctors prescribed some for him yesterday. Get the list of him and add them, am sure he would be pleased. At least he wont need to swallow them raw. angry
My Hauwa is a good and homely gyl she won't give me poison. She is sending me nice food cooked with clean hands. Ikomi onye akpiri let me no see in ma neighbourhood next week. You are warned.

Hauwa baby send me the tracking number as soon as itz sent.

Ikomi  tongue tongue tongue
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 2:49am On Mar 15, 2009
Ikomi:

The missing nose? angry Even this Emoticon has no nose. angry

When u have a pimple on the tip of your nose Ebony can u conceal it? Well except ur a muslim.

It's a mark she gave to her, in other that everyone would ask wat happened to her nose, it would be left for her to either tell a lie or speak the truth.

Knowing women they would always say the truth. Hahahahaa.

Yeah just because I did her a favour, I only slept with her husband. angry
Are you okay?

dnt quote me again, plz, if you're going to type such
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 3:04am On Mar 15, 2009
presido1:

My Hauwa is a good and homely gyl she won't give me poison. She is sending me nice food cooked with clean hands. Ikomi onye akpiri let me no see in ma neighbourhood next week. You are warned.

Hauwa baby send me the tracking number as soon as itz sent.

Ikomi tongue tongue tongue

yes Hauwa is a good girl and will make a great wife
she has no evil bone in her
Ikomi needs someone like Tpia to feed him otapiapia grin grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 3:46am On Mar 15, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Are you okay?

No am not.  undecided

I learnt you are Mary Magdaline, and that you've got healing powers?  angry

Ebony-Silk:

dnt quote me again, plz, if you're going to type such

And Inshort let me seriously warn u, or let me warn u seriously. You are guilty of the same offence, why did u quote me?  angry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 3:47am On Mar 15, 2009
**osisi:

yes Hauwa is a good girl and will make a great wife
she has no evil bone in her

Is it the same hauwa that will have "God bless our troops" as a national anthem in her house? grin
I agree though, she'd make a good wife.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 4:13am On Mar 15, 2009
We are all saying the same thing, Hauwa is no doubt a lovely girl. But Pres needs to take his prescriptions. angry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 5:14am On Mar 15, 2009
Ikomi:

No am not. undecided

I learnt you are Mary Magdaline, and that you've got healing powers? angry

And Inshort let me seriously warn u, or let me warn u seriously. You are guilty of the same offence, why did u quote me? angry
~roll eyes~
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 6:31am On Mar 15, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

~roll eyes~

please dont quote if ur going to type such - ~roll ur eyes~
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by echelon(m): 2:08pm On Mar 15, 2009
Nice thread.  cool cool
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Hauwa1: 3:22pm On Mar 15, 2009
ummm, amen o. may God sha bring a good man my way, one with loaded pocket and fears of God.
may God always bless our troops all the time as they serve in harms way, amen.

ikomi, nah i wouldn't make a meal that causes otolo grin

Emeka, you be fine brother bo. true, congo meat na one better meat God created. am crazy abt it. it is soo expensive now my mom told me recently.

Ebony, don't you know ikomi is crazy abt you? wink those proverbial emoticon without nose na style of toasting you o. shine ya eyes my sistah grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 6:30pm On Mar 15, 2009
**osisi:

tpia na trouble now, anybody wey enter tpia claws, even fire service no go fit save am. undecided
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 15, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Ebony, don't you know ikomi is crazy abt you? wink those proverbial emoticon without nose na style of toasting you o. shine ya eyes my sistah grin

Hauwa, I thought you were KarmaMod's friend tongue

Why are you trying to dump her stalker on me embarassed cheesy

Ikomi:

please dont quote if ur going to type such - ~roll ur eyes~
~rollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll eyesssssssssssss ~
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by asha80(m): 9:29pm On Mar 15, 2009
Make people no roll their eyes comot their socketd for this thread grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 15, 2009

This is an age old Igbo custom.
When a woman is pregnant and her due date approaches, her mother comes in to stay with her for the birth and at least 2 months post-partum.
Her mother (the grandma) bathes the baby, does all the cooking, and also bathes the new mother helping her massage the necessary areas with hot water.
A special delicacy the woman eats at this time is ji mmiri (mmili) oku uda i.e yam peppersoup with 2 special spices called uda and uziza
In Anambra area, it is called ofe nsala, a very light thickner( e.g a piece of mashed yam) is used and is usually eaten with pounded yam.
The soup is filled with dried fish (mangala), stock fish (okporoko) and sometimes beef.
It is hot hot hot and the hot pepper and uda and uziza they say is expected to help the woman's body heal from the stress of childbirth.

The new mother is not expected to lift a finger during omugwo or go outside.
she just eats and nurses her baby and others take care of the chores
and she cannot have sex with her husband during this period.
How wonderful,how forefathers knew even before medical science about postnatal.
Most of us put on weight at omugwo Grin

I didn't have the luxury of my mom being with me at Omugwo.
I struggled by myself Cry Cry
and my man cooked the ji mmili oku with uda and uziza and okporoko and brought it to the hospital each time with plenty of left over at home and he did a good job.

Traditionally,after the mom leaves,the mother in law then comes to stay for her own omugwo visit.
Women whose mothers are bereaved usually have an aunt or older sister do the omugwo.
when the visit is over,the grandma or whoever did the omugwo goes home with new wrappers,blouses and a lot of other goodies because it's assumed that the new baby has ruined all her wrappers with urine and feces.
More like a Nigerian thing. . . .Ekiti women does the same thing. cool

The mother's mother bathes the baby, pulls his legs and arms (forgot the significance), and carries the baby upside down for like a few seconds.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 9:52pm On Mar 15, 2009
*Hauwa*:

ummm, amen o. may God sha bring a good man my way, one with loaded pocket and fears of God.
You have just described me, How did u know?
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 10:33pm On Mar 15, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

More like a Nigerian thing. . . .Ekiti women does the same thing. cool

The mother's mother bathes the baby, pulls his legs and arms (forgot the significance), and carries the baby upside down for like a few seconds.

Does that explain why some Ekiti men reason upside down, for a few seconds? angry

Just asking if its not true, plllllllzzzzzzzzz dont roll ur eyes on me. Its against my culture and believes. angry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by tpia: 10:39pm On Mar 15, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by tpia: 10:43pm On Mar 15, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 11:00pm On Mar 15, 2009
@tpia

Gentility does not signify weakness.

If u want war, be sure u know what ur asking for, cos my 3 grenades, 4 bazookas and my tank built of wood, which is currently in the museum could still come in handy.

No one can push Ikomi around.  angry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 11:03pm On Mar 15, 2009
Ikomi:

Does that explain why some Ekiti men reason upside down, for a few seconds? angry

Just asking if its not true, plllllllzzzzzzzzz dont roll ur eyes on me. Its against my culture and believes. angry
What is up with you and the angry smiley?

Atleast we don't reason upside down 24/7/365
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by savanaha: 11:09pm On Mar 15, 2009
Ikomi:

Hahaha
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 11:47pm On Mar 15, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

What is up with you and the angry smiley?

Atleast we don't reason upside down 24/7/365

Rolls eyes
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by tpia: 11:58pm On Mar 15, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by AloyEmeka9: 7:59am On Mar 16, 2009
Anywhere you see Tpia's name, she must be unleashing some insults on one person or another no matter how quiet the thread might be. What is wrong with this woman?. Is she getting paid for this or what?. Distorting every thread with abuses ranging from tribal to personal ones.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 12:11pm On Mar 16, 2009
@ Aloy.Emeka

My aim was for us to ignore that girl, but since u've mentioned it Aloy.Emeka, I shall leave u this guiding principle and it might be good for anyone that reads it too.

Aloy.Emeka may our thoughts be positive. Iseeeeeeee.

"If ur thought is positive, it is beacause ur words are positive
If ur words are positive, it is because ur actions are positive
If ur actions are positive, it is because ur behaviour is positive
if ur behaviour is positive, it is because ur habit is positive
if ur habit is positive, it is because ur destiny is positive"

Aloy wokem leave tpia with her theory.  cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by tpia: 2:47pm On Mar 16, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by AloyEmeka9: 5:18pm On Mar 16, 2009

@ the witch calling herself Osisi- for calling my name on this thread with the intention of inciting Ikomi and other baboons to violence, may your name also be called to your detriment by your fellow witches and wizards during their meetings.

And dont relent on that Yoruba akamu wey davidylan dey feed you.
haaa jesu m baa.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 3:40am On Mar 17, 2009
tpia:

that's all!!!!!

before you give yourself high BP because of tpia!!!!

make God bash that your mouth for mentioning my name. Until you learn to stay away from me, e no go better for you and anything you do.

@ the witch calling herself Osisi- for calling my name on this thread with the intention of inciting Ikomi and other baboons to violence, may your name also be called to your detriment by your fellow witches and wizards during their meetings.

And dont relent on that Yoruba akamu wey davidylan dey feed you.

you never disappoint !

back to sender
The Lord rebuke you, satan!

back to thread
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 3:43am On Mar 17, 2009
The Igbo Numbers

1—Otu
2—Abua
3—Ato
4—Ano
5—Ise
6—Isii
7—Asaa
8—Asato
9—Iteghete (or Itolu)
10—Iri
11—Iri na otu
12—Iri na abua
13—Iri na ato
14—Iri na ano
15—Iri na ise
16—Iri na isii
17—Iri an asaa
18—Iri na asato
19—Iri na iteghete (or Iri na itolu)
20—Iri abua
30—Iri ato
40—Iri ano
50—Iri ise
60—Iri isii
70—Iri asaa
80—Iri asato
90—Iri iteghete (or Iri itolu)
100—Nari
1000—Puku
1,000,000—Nde
1,000,000,000—Njeri
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 3:45am On Mar 17, 2009
Igbo Parts of the Body

Hand—Aka
Eyes—Anya
Stomach—Afo
Back—Azu
Teeth—Eze
Tongue—Ire
Face—Ihu
Head—Isi
Nose—Imi
Hip—Iki
Ear—nti
Mouth—Onu
Waist—Ukwu
Legs—Ukwu
Neck—Olu
Finger—Mbo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Excited Masquerade Poses With Catholic Priest After Meeting Him On The Road.PICS / The Afar People (redone) / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.