Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90613 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Busybody2(f): 6:06am On Jul 22, 2010
Seriously i wonder all the time angry angry angry

@ Topic

SH.IT BUSINESS - POTTYTRAINING

Any tried and tested method? When is the right age to start? Is 3 months old too late? tongue

I remember my Mum not allowing me food or drink after 4pm, oops, er, that was cos my dog used to wet the bed till age 10 Moving on . . . swiftly embarassed embarassed embarassed

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

@ SISSY/IBEBE-IDI

You see, this is how to answer/contribute to threads correctly, something you can't partake in until you get your goggles tongue Tgirl4real will be soooooo proud of me
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:25am On Jul 22, 2010
Woman, you too dey find my troblue. very and very soon you will get served in nairalands supreme court of law or me and you will put leg for one nika tongue your options, your choice cool

Any tried and tested method? When is the right age to start? Is 3 months old too late?

Lol. 3 months ke? thats way too late na, i heard 4weeks is the best time to start jare grin grin grin grin grin

"Quote from: Ebony-Silk on April 02, 2009, 09:49 PM

1. How do you potty train a child?

Quote from: ~Sissy~on April 02, 2009,

best age? i think that is left to the parents discretion. however, i think 2-3 yrs is the norm for me. although some start at 1 and half yrs

first every child is unique so this might or might not work. patience and guidance is the keyword, so here is what i do

1) take him/her with you inside the toliet and demonstrate with them. for example during the time for my little niece, i did the demonstrating. i kinda squatted on it and she was watching me and repeated it after me cox they sometimes learn by imitating, just to make her feel ease with it. maybe do the gender thing. boys with the father and moms with the daughter.
2) recognize the signs that they need to go or help them recognize the signs of knowing when they are wet etc and encourage to talk any sensation of wanting to go they might have. my niece her face changes when she wants to go or she just stand still, all i do then is to help her sit.
3) i'd suggest keeping some toys around there, just to keep them busy while they do their thing. or maybe some cheerios as a reward each time they do it right and praise them too. like Good job! David, or high 5 just to get them going
4) let them practice by themselves how to pull up and down their pants, and maybe have them flush the toilet for you, as to get them familiar with the whole process and maybe bring their potty chair in the toilet which the child may sit, only if the want to, they may if they see you doing it.
5)just make them to sit on the potty chair if even nothing happens it just gets them familiar and comfortable with it.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 6:04am On Jul 23, 2010
Busy_body:

Seriously i wonder all the time angry angry angry

@ Topic

SH.IT BUSINESS - POTTYTRAINING

Any tried and tested method? When is the right age to start? Is 3 months old too late? tongue

I remember my Mum not allowing me food or drink after 4pm, oops, er, t[b]hat was cos my dog used to wet the bed till age 10 [/b] Moving on . . . swiftly embarassed embarassed embarassed

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

@ SISSY/IBEBE-IDI

You see, this is how to answer/contribute to threads correctly, something you can't partake in until you get your goggles tongue Tgirl4real will be soooooo proud of me
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:35pm On Jul 29, 2010
interesting article i thought undecided

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/health/13mind.html

"For better or worse, parents have limited power to influence their children. That is why they should not be so fast to take all the blame — or credit — for everything that their children become."
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Busybody2(f): 2:07am On Aug 02, 2010
~Sissy~:

"For better or worse, parents have limited power to influence their children. That is why they should not be so fast to take all the blame — or credit — for everything that their children become."

This is the only reason he gave though which IMHO is a copout because he still mentioned "genetic components" i.e. family background

: Not everyone is going to turn out to be brilliant — any more than everyone will turn out nice and loving. And that is not necessarily because of parental failure or an impoverished environment. It is because everyday character traits, like all human behavior, have hard-wired and genetic components that cannot be molded entirely by the best environment, let alone the best psychotherapists.

Would be back cool
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Busybody2(f): 12:51pm On Aug 02, 2010
Busy_body:

This is the only reason he gave though which IMHO is a copout because he still mentioned "genetic components" i.e. family background

: Not everyone is going to turn out to be brilliant — any more than everyone will turn out nice and loving. And that is not necessarily because of parental failure or an impoverished environment. It is because everyday character traits, like all human behavior, have hard-wired and genetic components that cannot be molded entirely by the best environment, let alone the best psychotherapists.

Would be back cool

[s]
embarassed Would be back indeed, took me the better part of 2 days to come up with the gibberish and jargon,  er. . . er. . . coughing. . . er. ,  mere 170 line contribution i wrote up there embarassed Anyway moving on swiftly embarassed [/s]

You see, you see, you see, Sissy, Ileke-idi, Tgirl, Netotse, etc, that up there is how to contribute like a genius like me, logical, legible, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. This brilliant brain of mine is too much, i surpass myself all the time tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:12am On Aug 03, 2010
Busy_body:

[s]
embarassed Would be back indeed, took me the better part of 2 days to come up with the gibberish and jargon,  er. . . er. . . coughing. . . er. ,  mere 170 line contribution i wrote up there embarassed Anyway moving on swiftly :-[ [/s]

LWKMD!!!!!!!!. my lawd have triple mecri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. roftl! very funny woman!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:14am On Aug 03, 2010
so you don't wholeheartedly agree that with the Drs assertion?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 1:32am On Aug 03, 2010
~Sissy~:

i'll read this article later, but as per the quote you posted, i think it's a load of crap. . .the sheer number of people that choose to go into their parents professions alone is enough to rubbish this claim.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by blossom4u: 7:32pm On Aug 05, 2010
until, all parents understand this simple facts and true concerning their children, they may not bring good quality out of them. All parents must undersatnd. (1) that children are the heritage of the Lord, and they are just a caretaker.
(2) that it is training children in the way of the Lord that can guarantee good children
(3) that the best lesson parent can to teach/ impart to children is their life.

let all parent enjoin to teach their children well.

Blossom4u is a teacher of children and a counsellor.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by SunnyChus(m): 2:54am On Aug 08, 2010
Children are the gifts of God and should be received and treated as such. Children have a special responsibility to God in obeying and honouring their parents. A child's identity and spiritual growth is either helped or hindered by his parents' devotion to God, to one another, and to him. Parents should see themselves as God's ambassadors, working to build strong character in the lives of their children through consistent godly living, nurturing, discipline, and teaching them right from wrong. [color=#000099][/color](Ephesians 6:1-3; Colossians 3:20; Psalms 78:5-8, 127:3-5, 139:13-16; Proverbs 4:1, 6:20)
www.familylifeguide..com[/b]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:22am On Aug 08, 2010
Busy_body:

[s]
embarassed Would be back indeed, took me the better part of 2 days to come up with the gibberish and jargon,  er. . . er. . . coughing. . . er. ,  mere 170 line contribution i wrote up there embarassed Anyway moving on swiftly embarassed [/s]

You see, you see, you see, Sissy, Ileke-idi, Tgirl, Netotse, etc, that up there is how to contribute like a genius like me, logical, legible, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. This brilliant brain of mine is too much, i surpass myself all the time tongue 

Serious matter, how's my baby? kiss kiss kiss kiss [and abeg, I no dey talk about you jor]

Hope all of una dey kampe. No diaper rash o wink

~Sissy~:

Very interesting article, sissy.

Yea, I often wonder why some children brought up in a vile environment are successful while some are not? Is there a genetic print in a child that is turned on/off or activated in the presence of an inhibitor e.g diet, condition, situation, stress etc?

Is the article suggesting that children's behavior(s) is/are not caused by the child's early environment, and that parents should be absolved of any blame partaining to the training of their children and future success?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 10:05am On Aug 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yea, I often wonder why some children brought up in a vile environment are successful while some are not? Is there a genetic print in a child that is turned on/off or activated in the presence of an inhibitor e.g diet, condition, situation, stress etc?

. i think it a combination of all things, parenting, environment and genetics. i mean some kids have the best things life can offer in life, good parents, safe environment(neighbors, best schools, upper social connections etc) but somehow, they are still not "up to that standard" expected of them given their privileged life. versa vice

Is the article suggesting that   children's behavior(s)  is/are not caused by the child's early environment, and  that parents should be absolved of any blame partaining to the training of their children and future success?

No, i dont think thats what the article is suggesting. i sort of see it as  kind of emphasizing that african proverb that says "it takes a village to raise a child" thing. i mean, you hear parents complain, and question everything when it comes to success of their child. "i/we gave him/her everything", they went to the best school" good environment"etc but somehow along the way they still messed up, sort of like why do bad things happen to good people thing. so, from my standpoint, the article is kind of saying, parents shouldnt be too quick to blame themselves for everything that went bad with their son/daughter in this case, because certain things are definitely beyond their parental control.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by marcus1234: 10:06am On Aug 08, 2010
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by SunnyChus(m): 10:39pm On Aug 12, 2010
The joy of being parents overshadows a lot of things in life, but that does not mean that one forgets their duty of disciplining children. Children model their parents' behavior, habits, values and thinking. In short, parents have the most influence on their kids, especially, in the early stages of their life. Along with inculcating behavior, values and habits, parents need to also discipline their children effectively. Disciplining children becomes important because if left to their own devices, children will end up creating a lot of chaos then and later will find it difficult to adjust in society.

Many parents face several problems and moral issues when it comes to disciplining children because they automatically associate the term 'disciplining' with punishments or beatings. That is definitely not what disciplining children is all about! This article will help you understand how to go about disciplining children without yelling at them, or beating them and yet turning them into well behaved children.

www.familylifeguide..com
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:17pm On Aug 28, 2010
how una dey
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 28, 2010
I dey, you nko? kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:29pm On Aug 28, 2010
i dey je je my dear. hows life treating ya
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:44am On Sep 11, 2010
have you laughed/smiled today? if not no worries! here is a little [b]LOL [/b]for y'all grin grin grin

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yHejN1korE[/flash]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2010
lol. . .i have to try this on a baby i swear. . .

@sissy
thanks
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by mamamia2: 12:02pm On Sep 13, 2010
~Sissy~:

have you laughed/smiled today? if not no worries! here is a little [b]LOL [/b]for y'all grin grin grin

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yHejN1korE[/flash]

Hey sissy, that was splendid and you really made ME smile with that! I was even squirming and sucking my tongue with the tart sour taste of lemons, but did u notice the ones that tried to grapple for more! way to go, when life throws you lemons, make lemonades. Thanks Sissy!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:46am On Sep 14, 2010
mama_mia:

Hey sissy, that was splendid and you really made ME smile with that! [b]I was even squirming and sucking my tongue with the tart sour taste of lemons, [/b]but did u notice the ones that tried to grapple for more! way to go, when life throws you lemons, make lemonades. Thanks Sissy!

Lol. me too!!! just couldnt help it grin grin grin

yea i noticed the wanting more thing too

netotse:

lol. . .i have to try this on a baby i swear. . .

@Sissy
thanks

no problem. glad u both had your little 'LOL' with it cheesy grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by zayhal(f): 7:10pm On Sep 14, 2010
Hi all,

Pls how do you handle a 7 year old who is caught trying out intimacy. with his younger sister?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 11:43pm On Sep 14, 2010
zayhal:

Hi all,

Pls how do you handle a 7 year old who is caught trying out intimacy. with his younger sister?

do you think he understood the gravity of what he was doing? if he did then some punishment is in order(if na me na some serious cane be that). . .of course after explaining why what he was trying was wrong. or you could warn him sternly, depends on what you think is best.

if he didn't/doesn't understand the consequences, then sit him down and explain why playing such play is only for adults and even when you're an adult you're not allowed to play like that with your family. . .dont get hysterical or anything, he wont understand why and it'll only confuse him more. You could tell him you'll have to punish him if you catch him doing anything like that again.

it's important you are calm and serious when discussing it with him so he doesn't read the wrong meaning cos if your emotions tell him something different he might start to wonder "what's even in this thing that mummy is fussing over?"
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by zayhal(f): 9:04am On Sep 15, 2010
The boy isn't my son. It just appauls me the way parents go about it, blaming themselves that it's probably because they hug!!! and peck!!! in the presence of the kid that's why he does that.

This to me, is too weak an excuse to give the child. That child does not hug and peck the sister but goes all the way. Till now, no one of them has called the child to correct him. Each time he does it, they blame themselves and say nothing to the kid.
netotse:

do you think he understood the gravity of what he was doing? if he did then some punishment is in order(if na me na some serious cane be that). . .of course after explaining why what he was trying was wrong. or you could warn him sternly, depends on what you think is best.

if he didn't/doesn't understand the consequences, then sit him down and explain why playing such play is only for adults and even when you're an adult you're not allowed to play like that with your family. . .dont get hysterical or anything, he wont understand why and it'll only confuse him more. You could tell him you'll have to punish him if you catch him doing anything like that again.

it's important you are calm and serious when discussing it with him so he doesn't read the wrong meaning cos if your emotions tell him something different he might start to wonder "what's even in this thing that mummy is fussing over?"

I think he does understand it because the report is always that he takes the sister to a corner in the room when no one is there and speaks to her in low tones not to make a noise. He's been caught thrice now.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by toaspromo(m): 10:53am On Sep 15, 2010
it is a good idea at least one should learn the best way to upbring a child especially in a corrupt society of ours
my own view is that most of the bad kids we see in the public is as a result of negligience of some parents and also over pampering of some other parents

if we can share more time with our kids we would have child we can proudly boast of
Even the bible says we should nurture our child so we can have peace
it is up to parents
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:17am On Sep 18, 2010
@ zayhal

goodness me! how can a 7year old be having sex with his sister and the parents aren't doing much about it? this is very and highly disturbing! this a grave crime. gosh, im so disgusted and pissed off. my goodness!

the parents needs to use water and wash-out the soaps in their eyes and clearly see the disgusting thing happening right under their nose.

this is not only an incest, it is an ABUSE of that little girl. she is been manipulated and abused by his brother and the parents NEEDS TO STOP IT NOW. do they know what psychological effect this going to have that girl?

where did the boy learn that its ok to touch his sister in such manner? what has he been watching in the house and/or his friends? who are his friends? too many questions the parents needs to ask to get to root of this sick thought and behavior before its too late

what makes his parents think if they dont stop it this sick act now that he wouldnt "practice" it on other kids outside his family? or that he would stop it when hes 16 or 18?

its just too sad that the parents are "running the bush" here and not acting to stop this.

please if you can for sake of that little girl, talk to the boy. at 7years old hes old enough to differentiate between right and wrong at least in the case. that boy needs help and he needs it fast

how old is the girl? are they only the two kids in the family?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by zayhal(f): 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2010
@sissy

The girl is going to be 5.

They watch[b] too[/b] many movies in the house. The parents have gone overboard with the idea of not punishing little children. They only pamper, pamper and pamper. Honestly, their situation is irritating.

As an 'outsider', you can't even scold the kids where the parents are, they'll eat you raw. I've talked to the boy though. he promised not to do such again but I'm not convinced. My major aim now is working on the parents.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 4:56am On Sep 20, 2010
they watch too many movies where sex and the likes are included? dont they monitor what should be seen/not when it comes to movies? how can they expect to raise a well mannered and disciplined child/ren without good and quality punishments? pampering is good but not when they ought be scolded and set straight. when do they expect to start punishing them? when they are 13-18 and grown wings? when they are 19-30 and over grown? pretty sad, i must say. PROVERBS 22:6 says  "Train a child in the way he should go,and when he is old he will not turn from it". it is at this early ages that she should be instilling in their kids good morals and likes and not be being lovey lovey with them when something as serious as incest is happening.
i know no parents wants to be told they arent doing the right thing when it comes to affairs of their children. every parents tend to feel/believe they know whats best for their child/ren however, dont let that deter from saying it to the boy. he has to understand that what hes doing is bad and evil. getting your point across to parents will greatly depend on the kind of close relationship you have with them? if possible try to tell the young girl to resist him, since he tells her not to "make noise" encourage her to scream/shout /run and get away from his brother. thats why i asked you if they were other older siblings in the house at least they can help out in this case
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by obidia(f): 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2010
Hello av gone thru this section of the and i thing parents will benefit from this blog i discovered,it deals with children issues. http://knowyourchild2grow..com it has helped me alot
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by nonnyp(f): 4:44am On Sep 23, 2010
i am really impressed with the article.hope it helps me too.

@ obidia
can u pls suggest some movies or kiddies videos that can be of immense help to child training.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by mamamia2: 12:53pm On Sep 24, 2010
Appalling to say the least! what is our country turning into? must we imbibe ALL Western culture? now a child is playing with fire and we are asking what the parents should do!!!!!!! isnt there a bit of sense in the parents' head?

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.