Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90604 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 1:50am On Apr 25, 2011
@sissy
welcome back. . .it's been a while

@BB
tell ileke-idi o, i no know wetin she dey find for politics grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by armyofone(m): 2:16pm On Apr 25, 2011
i miss that woman for family section. bring back Ebony, bring back the Gator!!!!!

Busy_Body how now? grin how the weather for where you dey? wetin you dey plan for spring and summer, vacation?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nekai(f): 8:02am On Apr 26, 2011
Those videos were hilarious!!! grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:17pm On Apr 26, 2011
BB: you dey craze tongue, abeg jare for my side we are still in january jor embarassed  how body? kiss kiss

netotse: how u dey? see how una leave this place dry sad sad sad

Nekai:

Those videos were hilarious!!!  grin grin grin

yup, i can watch it ten times and still laugh with them grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:21pm On Apr 26, 2011
HAPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL my dearies. hope you all had a wonderful celebration with lots of rice, chicken minerals, and ebas cool cool cool
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Busybody2(f): 7:52pm On Apr 28, 2011
@ netotse

But why nau, why let on to people that we be olodo upon 30 nau, lol. How are you, you just dissappeared from here with no warning, o ga o. Don't try such nonsense next time una hear, you don't wanna know what it took me to re-jig my harem and get a replacement at such last minute. You should know nobody does dominatrix like you na, tee hee hee.

Hey behave yaself and comport ya response responsibly, this is a child friendly thread y'know.

@ Hauwa

All I need is to lose the last 350lb extra tire I am carrying around to pass my medicals and I am coming to join you on the frontline, you think its only you that should be allowed to ogle those fit, ripped, buffed, tanned, sinewy, ojigbijigbi half-men half-amazing creature of God abi? We shall see oh.

@ Sissy,

Don't mind that Netotse for abandoning the thread, if not for me that kept it going and had to even beg them when it went over the 100 page limit. Really glad to have you back jare, missed you mwuah mwuah mwuah. But come wia did you go, you just dissappeared like that, ha ha.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:30pm On Apr 28, 2011
Busy_body:

@ Sissy,

Don't mind that Netotse for abandoning the thread, if not for me that kept it going and had to even beg them when it went over the 100 page limit. Really glad to have you back jare, missed you mwuah mwuah mwuah. But come wia did you go, you just dissappeared like that, ha ha.   

Lol yes o, i see your hardiwork on this thread, u try no b small lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. oya this one is for you:

u choose, you can be the big one or the little one

my dear, na life no wan allow me rest oo. longest tyme jare, i hope body dey kempe kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Busybody2(f): 9:40pm On Apr 28, 2011
Eeyah, miles away from civilization so can't access a PC to view what's up there. Chei, my tatafo yansh will not let me be able to sleep cos of this now. Oh dear, does this mean I have no choice than to jump on a 7 hours flight to kutuwenji in order to get access to a computer, chai.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:56pm On Apr 28, 2011
dey there nah! you still dey talk of access to a PC, when having access to kerosene to lite a lantern na big wahala tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:30am On May 11, 2011
[size=14pt]25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9[/size] from Yahoo

Manner #1

When asking for something, say "Please."

Manner #2

When receiving something, say "Thank you

Manner #3

Do not interrupt grown-ups who are speaking with each other unless there is an emergency. They will notice you and respond when they are finished talking.

Manner #4

If you do need to get somebody's attention right away, the phrase "excuse me" is the most polite way for you to enter the conversation

Manner #6

The world is not interested in what you dislike. Keep negative opinions to yourself, or between you and your friends, and out of earshot of adults

Manner #7

Do not comment on other people's physical characteristics unless, of course, it's to compliment them, which is always welcome

Manner #8
When people ask you how you are, tell them and then ask them how they are

Manner #9

When you have spent time at your friend's house, remember to thank his or her parents for having you over and for the good time you had.

Manner #10
Knock on closed doors -- and wait to see if there's a response -- before entering

Manner #11
When you make a phone call, introduce yourself first and then ask if you can speak with the person you are calling.

Manner #12
Be appreciative and say "thank you" for any gift you receive. In the age of e-mail, a handwritten thank-you note can have a powerful effect.

Manner #13
Never use foul language in front of adults. Grown-ups already know all those words, and they find them boring and unpleasant.

Manner #14

Don't call people mean names.

Manner #15
Do not make fun of anyone for any reason. Teasing shows others you are weak, and ganging up on someone else is cruel.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:35am On May 11, 2011
Manner #16
Even if a play or an assembly is boring, sit through it quietly and pretend that you are interested. The performers and presenters are doing their best.

Manner #17
If you bump into somebody, immediately say "Excuse me."

Manner #18
Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and don't pick your nose in public.

Manner #19

As you walk through a door, look to see if you can hold it open for someone else.

Manner #20
If you come across a parent, a teacher, or a neighbor working on something, ask if you can help. If they say "yes," do so -- you may learn something new.

Manner #21
When an adult asks you for a favor, do it without grumbling and with a smile.

Manner #22
When someone helps you, say "thank you." That person will likely want to help you again. This is especially true with teachers!

Manner #23
Use eating utensils properly. If you are unsure how to do so, ask your parents to teach you or watch what adults do.

Manner #24

Keep a napkin on your lap; use it to wipe your mouth when necessary.

Manner #25

Don't reach for things at the table; ask to have them passed.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:37am On May 11, 2011
any objections? or any more manners to add?

sadly, we expect kids to know and do all this things while some/many adults do nada and are worst offenders of this manners embarassed embarassed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by zayhal(f): 10:13pm On May 11, 2011
Nice manners!

I believe more in practicing those things before my kids than always telling them 'do'! 'don't!. Practicals really work well with kids as they tend to imitate adults around them especially their parents and teachers.

Let me also add that it's better to always use the positive and leave out the negative when instructing kids. For example, instead of saying

[center]Don't leave the door open.

Don't eat with your left hand.
[/center]

rather say:

[center]Always shut the door.

You should eat with your right hand.
[/center]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 10:38pm On May 13, 2011
zayhal:

Nice manners!

I believe more in practicing those things before my kids than always telling them 'do'! 'don't!. Practicals really work well with kids as they tend to imitate adults around them especially their parents and teachers.

Let me also add that it's better to always use the positive and leave out the negative when instructing kids. For example, instead of saying

[center][b]Don't leave the door open.

Don't eat with your left hand.
[/center]

rather say:

[centerAlways shut the door.

You should eat with your right hand.[/center]

definitely agree!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Markenny(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2011
parent in the house one qusetion?do new baby cry 24/7 non stop?my son is 3weeks old,only time he is not crying is when he is sleeping.in the night me and my woman are not sleeping more than 2 hours,he crying is loud and disturbing,we try many thing sing,playing,more u trying to stop he from crying the worser he cry,my haed is kapute from his shouting around we are out of option on what else to do,the worse part is that he is restless and aggrasive, abeg any help?advices pls pls befor some body go run mad.

Ps:the stomach thing cant be,we have the drops and some voodo thin for the stomach,

Only moment he is silent is when he is shiting,
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by cexplorer(m): 6:32pm On May 26, 2011
Many of the children who exhibit anti-social behaviours in our society and many with modern but ungodly social practices and fashion belong to families with strong religious affiliations.

My question is how may I, as a Christian, bring up my three months old baby to be socially relevant without compromising my religious value and ethics regarding fashion, party, dancing and sport as practiced today and encourages by school teachers and church leaders? I did my best at http://www.gracefem.com as a marriage counselor which may not be good enough compared to yours!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by amaka78(f): 1:21am On May 27, 2011
It is best to not have children at all because there is too much hatred for Asia and that is changing the face of Africa into a monster that hates its own self so that we all must become biracial like Egypt which is in denial and calls itself Arab
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by cexplorer(m): 3:03pm On May 27, 2011
I witnessed an occurence many years back in which the child did not stop crying untill a deliverance minister had prayed for her. You may contact your pastor.
Markenny:

parent in the house one qusetion?do new baby cry 24/7 non stop?my son is 3weeks old,only time he is not crying is when he is sleeping.in the night me and my woman are not sleeping more than 2 hours,he crying is loud and disturbing,we try many thing sing,playing,more u trying to stop he from crying the worser he cry,my haed is kapute from his shouting around we are out of option on what else to do,the worse part is that he is restless and aggrasive, abeg any help?advices pls pls befor some body go run mad.

Ps:the stomach thing cant be,we have the drops and some voodo thin for the stomach,

Only moment he is silent is when he is shiting,
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by cexplorer(m): 3:16pm On May 27, 2011
~Sissy~:

[size=14pt]25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9[/size] from Yahoo

Manner #1

When asking for something, say "Please."

Manner #2

When receiving something, say "Thank you

Manner #3

Do not interrupt grown-ups who are speaking with each other unless there is an emergency. They will notice you and respond when they are finished talking.

Manner #4

If you do need to get somebody's attention right away, the phrase "excuse me" is the most polite way for you to enter the conversation

Manner #6

The world is not interested in what you dislike. Keep negative opinions to yourself, or between you and your friends, and out of earshot of adults

Manner #7

Do not comment on other people's physical characteristics unless, of course, it's to compliment them, which is always welcome

Manner #8
When people ask you how you are, tell them and then ask them how they are

Manner #9

When you have spent time at your friend's house, remember to thank his or her parents for having you over and for the good time you had.

Manner #10
Knock on closed doors -- and wait to see if there's a response -- before entering

Manner #11
When you make a phone call, introduce yourself first and then ask if you can speak with the person you are calling.

Manner #12
Be appreciative and say "thank you" for any gift you receive. In the age of e-mail, a handwritten thank-you note can have a powerful effect.

Manner #13
Never use foul language in front of adults. Grown-ups already know all those words, and they find them boring and unpleasant.

Manner #14

Don't call people mean names.

Manner #15
Do not make fun of anyone for any reason. Teasing shows others you are weak, and ganging up on someone else is cruel.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:32am On Jun 13, 2011
where is everyone  cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

the power of a mother's touch cool cool

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4KVoEVcr0[/flash]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by nihinlade(m): 10:54pm On Jun 19, 2011
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 10:41pm On Jun 26, 2011
Hey Sissy,

thanks for the outline.

Just wondering why you didn't respond to markenny.

@ Markenny, your baby could be a colic baby, in which it isn't anyone's fault and there is lil u can do. The baby could out grow it after some time. There are several articles on it. Alternatively, u could visit your doctor. There could be something causing the baby's discomfort.

Cheers!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by deasy(m): 8:32pm On Jun 28, 2011
Thank you T girl,for this-To me this is a serious case that every parent should solve,cos this bullying thing as destroyed many child/ren both in Africa and outside Africa.Here is an enlightment to PARENTS AND YOUTHS. To me this is what i observe on the issue(BULLY) Many children who are bullied do not want to go to school.Most especially when it's Sunday night.When a child is having emotional problems(that is being bullied) their appetite might decrease or increase dramatically.so, parent should watch this.Children who are bullied will isolate themselves from the outside world,they lose interest in activities.Being a victim of bullies takes a toll on a child emotionally and physically,this will affect their school grades.When your child is emotionally attacked all day at school by bullies, they build up anger and resentment. This release of anger often occurs at home where they feel safe to express it. TO ME I THINK THIS WILL HELP TO SOLVE IT When/if you suspect that your child is being bullied with those signs i stated above,here some steps: Talk to your child about school/playgrounds/friends even on the subject. See if they get agitated or try to change the subject. Let them know that you are there to help them. If your child confides in you that they are being bullied at school, actively listen to them and let them explore ways they would like to handle the situation.Empower your child to talk to you/their teacher or the school principal about the bullying and specifically the bullies who are bullying them. If your child open up GOOD but the bullying does not stop, it is time for you to take action.schedule an immediate meeting bullies parent or with the principal and your child's teacher and demand to know what action will be taken to stop the bullies from bullying your child. Do not treat bullying as a natural part of growing up or believe that it will all work itself out eventually. Bullying is a serious situation and has caused some children to commit suicide.Stay actively involved with your child's school,friends,playgrounds and constantly talk to your child.After the bullying has stopped and your child's life returns to normalcy, if you notice signs of depression or the symptoms of bullying are still present, seek out the services of a counselor or therapist. With your love and support, your child can regain the positive school,home and friendly experience they had before they were bullied.Hopefully the solutions to bullying in this article will stop the bullying.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 10:08pm On Jun 30, 2011
TGirl

oops. mea culpa. my dear i didnt see his question embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 10:15pm On Jun 30, 2011
deasy

nice tips!.

however, i will have to differ with you on 28. but, if you are talking about monetary reward/incentive then you are right but if not, i will differ on that.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by deasy(m): 9:29pm On Jul 14, 2011
Nice talk in here,i doff my hat for you all
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 12:39pm On Jul 16, 2011
@ Sissy,

Which 28 are you talking about? I can't see any no.28.

BTW, can anyone help with tips on how I can make my 6months old baby sleep all through the night? wink
She wakes up like 2-3 times to suck. sad
You can imagine the stress that leaves on me cos I still have to get early for work.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 5:55am On Jul 20, 2011
the post was caught by the spambot.

abeg jor, she wants and enjoys the night actions grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 3:57pm On Jul 20, 2011
Yea girl, I later saw the mail when I logged on.

Very soon I will send her to spend the weekend at your place so that I can rest. grin

But, I hope it's normal for her to still wake up to feed like that.

Guys,

Some days ago, I saw in the dailies and on TV that the Ist lady is holding a retreat. I wonder what they want to teach themselves. Is it how to cook or clean the house? grin Yeye people.

I think it's rather insensitive to publicise such an an event at this time. With people loosing lives and properties from Boko-haram to natural disaters to NLC strike.

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.