Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,343 members, 7,811,992 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (363) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (783491 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 11:46pm On Apr 30, 2016
mrego:
i will go straight to the point and not bore you guys with unnecessary details. i had to open a new account so not to draw unnecessary attention from those that know me with my username either from the office or otherwise

i work in a federal establishment earning about 100k per month. my establishment is about to send some people to the US for a convention though they wont be footing the bills. All they will do is make you get your papers easily by presenting you as their own. fortunately, i am among the few selected interested ones.

now my dilemma is that i think it is not wise to use my years savings in footing a trip which i wont benefit from economically considering my financial status. using all my savings in going to the State just to stay for about a month and come back to the country broke. i am actually interested in going and disappearing and try to make a life there. but my parents have advised me that it is not wise to leave my job to an uncertain future. To make matters worse i don't know anyone there who can accommodate me and put me through. No contact whatsoever to take shelter with.

i am torn between taking the risk and staying back entirely and hustling it out in Nigeria as a civil servant but i don't see myself making it big in civil service except i get the opportunity to dasukigate some funds from our government. lol

please i need the best advice i can get and i trust my nairaland family.
lalasticlala and the mod here abeg help my ministry

Your parent gave you the best advise brother but at the same time it's your life and u make choices for yourself. You should not wait on anybody here to design your life for you.

On the visa issue, I can advise you go with the process and get the visa. It's not necessary you travel at this time. Having the visa on your passport is an advantage for you whenever you are financially ready to travel. Who knows you might hit dasukigate real soon grin

Just my 2cents

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 11:59pm On Apr 30, 2016
aadeyi:

Your parent gave you the best advise brother but at the same time it's your life and u make choices for yourself. You should not wait on anybody here to design your life for you.

On the visa issue, I can advise you go with the process and get the visa. It's not necessary you travel at this time. Having the visa on your passport is an advantage for you whenever you are financially ready to travel. Who know you might hit dasukigate real soon grin

Just my 2cents

true bro.. that is why i am working so hard and seeking the best advise possible to arrange my future very well. i will surely follow up with the process and get my visa... its a must. lol. thanks for ur input. grateful hrt

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 4:42am On May 01, 2016
mrego:
i will go straight to the point and not bore you guys with unnecessary details. i had to open a new account so not to draw unnecessary attention from those that know me with my username either from the office or otherwise

i work in a federal establishment earning about 100k per month. my establishment is about to send some people to the US for a convention though they wont be footing the bills. All they will do is make you get your papers easily by presenting you as their own. fortunately, i am among the few selected interested ones.

now my dilemma is that i think it is not wise to use my years savings in footing a trip which i wont benefit from economically considering my financial status. using all my savings in going to the State just to stay for about a month and come back to the country broke. i am actually interested in going and disappearing and try to make a life there. but my parents have advised me that it is not wise to leave my job to an uncertain future. To make matters worse i don't know anyone there who can accommodate me and put me through. No contact whatsoever to take shelter with.

i am torn between taking the risk and staying back entirely and hustling it out in Nigeria as a civil servant but i don't see myself making it big in civil service except i get the opportunity to dasukigate some funds from our government. lol

Seriously! You want lalasticlala to put you out to the world? There is everything wrong with your intentions. Begin to take that thought from your heart.

You wanna abandon your job and become a fugitive here? People that come here legally find life hard at the start let alone you with no housing and job. The cold will finish you.

If you are interested in coming to America. Go apply for cheap school. Read and pass your GRE and take study leave. You may even qualify for scholarship. If you like America you could then work your paper to stay legally.

Why does all Nigerians want to become mega rich. Most people don't aspire to be mega rich in America. They just live a simple life and pay their tax. I have to take my time to talk to you so u won't face so much regret by ur decision.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 4:43am On May 01, 2016
aadeyi:

On the visa issue, I can advise you go with the process and get the visa. It's not necessary you travel at this time. Having the visa on your passport is an advantage for you whenever you are financially ready to travel. Who know you might hit dasukigate real soon grin

Just my 2cents

When it comes to criminal choices, pls tell him it is no longer his life.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 5:12am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

Who is that in bold? About U.S, well, the choice is yours. No contact or whatsoever will make this journey extra hard for you to survive. Best of luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 5:14am On May 01, 2016
Mayflowa:

Seriously! You want lalasticlala to put you out to the world? There is everything wrong with your intentions. Begin to take that thought from your heart.

You wanna abandon your job and become a fugitive here? People that come here legally find life hard at the start let alone you with no housing and job. The cold will finish you.

If you are interested in coming to America. Go apply for cheap school. Read and pass your GRE and take study leave. You may even qualify for scholarship. If you like America you could then work your paper to stay legally.

Why does all Nigerians want to become mega rich. Most people don't aspire to be mega rich in America. They just live a simple life and pay their tax. I have to take my time to talk to you so u won't face so much regret by ur decision.

ur right but wheen last when you in nigeria? I can tell u most people don't even eat 1 square meal talk less of round meal a day in dis country... I can't give him advise cus he doesn't even have a starting point but if he does have a place to stay my 2 cents is go... Life isn't easy in america but let's face it it aint a bed of roses here either. Even most nairalanders in nigeria sef dey form.. There are times I have as much as 1 million idle in my account and some times just 1k to siddon drink 2 big origin and nkwobi will be impossible. You swim with the tide of any ocean you are. Let's listen to his story and see if life in nigeria holds anything for him.
P.S aadeyi thanks for helping that guy pay his sevis fee.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 5:17am On May 01, 2016
imperiouxx:

Who is that in bold? About U.S, well, the choice is yours. No contact or whatsoever will make this journey extra hard for you to survive. Best of luck.
I agree with u bro but let's face it a lot of people have just one chance at a better life, if he misses it he might be stuck in the monotony of life here forever. Failure to me is welcome, it means you have tried to achieve a goal no matter the number of times. Stagnation is the only thing I am averse to.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 5:28am On May 01, 2016
dickoflife:
I agree with u bro but let's face it a lot of people have just one chance at a better life, if he misses it he might be stuck in the monotony of life here forever. Failure to me is welcome, it means you have tried to achieve a goal no matter the number of times. Stagnation is the only thing I am averse to.

My point was about how hard it will be without any contacts. He has his choice and have made his decision on what next for him. Nothing I can do about that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dannybrown19: 5:38am On May 01, 2016
Mayflowa:

This is the best advice one can ever get in this kinda situation.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 6:05am On May 01, 2016
dickoflife:
ur right but wheen last when you in nigeria? I can tell u most people don't even eat 1 square meal talk less of round meal a day in dis country... I can't give him advise cus he doesn't even have a starting point but if he does have a place to stay my 2 cents is go... Life isn't easy in america but let's face it it aint a bed of roses here either. Even most nairalanders in nigeria sef dey form.. There are times I have as much as 1 million idle in my account and some times just 1k to siddon drink 2 big origin and nkwobi will be impossible. You swim with the tide of any ocean you are. Let's listen to his story and see if life in nigeria holds anything for him.
P.S aadeyi thanks for helping that guy pay his sevis fee.

I am always in Nigeria. I work in federal.ministry too. People feel I am rich even in America. Nor let body deceive u o. I am home grown and Garrick soaker. But I don't do crime.

I am not asking him not to come. I always encourage every graduate to look towards America. He is one. So he can easily come through school. His workplace will still be paying him too. To be candid, those illegals in America work a lot harder than naijas at home.

He is got 100k and a good reputation to keep. America is easy to come. Its just info.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:42am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

LOL, firstly, your organization is corrupt and are into fraudulant activities and should be investigated.

Secondly, there's no point of seeking for advice here because you already taken a decision within your heart. Unless you're looking for someone to accomodate you free of charge for a certain period of time. But if you've been working for couple of years and had plans in life, you ought to be somewhat comfortable with them.

Why not look for scholarship and travel happily? Do not gamble with your future.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fizzile(m): 6:43am On May 01, 2016
Gurus,in terms of admission decisions...how can a high pgd gpa affect a low undergraduate gpa? Do they tend to consider it? Can it in any way supplement or boost in admission decisions?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 6:58am On May 01, 2016
imperiouxx:

My point was about how hard it will be without any contacts. He has his choice and have made his decision on what next for him. Nothing I can do about that.
i was actually supporting u. reread my post.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 7:29am On May 01, 2016
DeeTus:
LOL, firstly, your organization is corrupt and are into fraudulant activities and should be investigated.

Secondly, there's no point of seeking for advice here because you already taken a decision within your heart. Unless you're looking for someone to accomodate you free of charge for a certain period of time. But if you've been working for couple of years and had plans in life, you ought to be somewhat comfortable with them.

Why not look for scholarship and travel happily? Do not gamble with your future.

i dont think this has anything to do with corruption.. they said Buhari has reduced the revenue they use to get and the TSA affected their finances as well. therefore the individual sponsorship.

i am yet to take a decision as i am still confused on the best that would make life better. if i can get someone that will accommodate me, i will be very happy... i would not mind paying.

this is my third year with them and its not about being comfy with them but myself. the delays before the money comes and the future plans doesnt look all that bright with that kindda money.

looking for scholarship? i will think about that.. thanks for your input

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 7:37am On May 01, 2016
Mayflowa:

bro, i am really confused... some testify of the goodness of america while others say it is not asa easy as portrayed. i don't really care about being mega rich though i wont reject it if opportunity to be presents itself. i just want a comfy life where i can afford anything i and would be family desire
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 7:42am On May 01, 2016
imperiouxx:

lol. any beef with the person behind the name?

if i can get shelter...the rest shouldn't be much of a problem. i can hustle my way to make some cash. i heard i can do 2 to 3 jobs and make good money.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:55am On May 01, 2016
Happy new month. To those waiting for admission, oya receive it. Those going to face the VO, receive your visa. All the best guys.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 8:54am On May 01, 2016
brightify:
Hello gurus in the House, please can my uncle make my SEVIS fee payment with credit card in US

Once the candidate being paid on behalf of is Nigerian, I don't think so. It's only either by Western Union payment or by money order.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fizzile(m): 9:19am On May 01, 2016
fizzile:
Gurus,in terms of admission decisions...how can a high pgd gpa affect a low undergraduate gpa? Do they tend to consider it? Can it in any way supplement or boost in admission decisions?
Guys make una ansa me naaaa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 10:03am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

First off, life in America is not all beds of roses. Now, I am going to be plain and direct with you about life in America and tell it to you as it is. I am not wont to give off the impression of America as heaven on earth while actually the reality in the same 'heaven' is the opposite for many people living here. As a new immigrant to this country, basically you are starting life afresh and you would need between 2 to 5 years to be able to stand on your feet in this country and this includes sorting out your permanent residency status (many people get married to a PRdent or citizen, join the US army and become a citizen immediately thereby bypassing the green card step but joining the army requires signing about 6 years of contract with them, or obtain their PR by doing business and investing up to $500,000 or $1,000,000 depending on the type of business or by refugee/asylum status etc.) and this could take about a year or two to achieve, going back to school here in the US to obtain a US degree (our Nigerian degrees are not usually recognized here and to land well-paying jobs in corporate america, as an immigrant you would need to obtain a US degree and any attendant certifications where and when necessary - be prepared to go back to school again here in the US, establishing a credit history for yourself (I cannot overemphasize the importance of starting early as soon as one gets to America to start building one's credit history as this is the key to so many doors of opportunity in this country) etc. and it takes at least a year or 2 to have satisfactory credit history and a good score, adapting to the American culture, learning Americans and their ways of thinking and doing things etc. America has a high taxation rate, especially for employees. The tax rate can be very high especially if you're single. To give you an example, from a paycheck of $1,500 for 2 weeks of work (here you are paid biweekly and not once every month end like in Nigeria), about $400 is deducted in form of federal taxes, state taxes etc. leaving you with about $1,100. Or out of an annual yearly salary of $70,000, your actual take home pay would be about $46,000 as a single individual, with about $24,000 paid to Uncle Sam as taxes. Now, if you're married or you have kids, the tax rate is lower.

America is a beautiful country with an efficiently working system and well advanced technology in almost every facet of life. The weather is adorable such that within a year of staying here you begin to notice changes on your skin (with sunshine for only about 3 to 4 months of the entire year and cold/rain/snow for the remainder of the year, your skin begins to produce less and less of melanin pigment). The economy is robust such that without a university degree, there are lots of jobs for you to survive on but there is only an extent to how much you can make compared to having a US university degree. Food here is cheap and with $100 you can eat comfortably per month, especially if you cook at home. There is constant electricity 24/7 and you never have to worry about there being no light when you get home at night after a long stressful day. Water runs steadily at home - both hot and cold, and the choice is yours to use depending on the weather. Almost all homes are equipped with heaters and ACs such that you enjoy the best of summer and winter weathers. The system here works in so many ways. Depending on the state, there is often a minimum wage that is paid, and this ensures that nobody is unfairly underpaid in any work they do. Oh, did I forget the yearly tax returns? Did you know that every year you are required to file what they call a tax return, which is basically Uncle Sam's (nickname for the IRS) way of ensuring that everyone is paying their fair share of taxes and you are refunded some or all of Federal or/and state taxes you paid for the previous year which could amount to $1,000s? The internet service here is very fast with wi-fi in almost every house, on campus, some restaurants and fast food joints etc. There is much more enforced security and you can be sure of police arriving at your house in less than 5 minutes when you dial 911. The United States Postal Services works such that you barely have the need to use courier services except for international packages. The roads are all well-built with very few potholes here and there to ensure that your car lasts you quite a while. Needless to say, life in America is very comfortable but this comfort comes at a huge price. It is not for free neither is it cheap.

On the flip side, nothing in America is free. Every freebie you enjoy is accounted for in this country. You pay for every social amenity you enjoy down to the very little of it. Out of your biweekly paychecks per month you pay for your rent (or mortgage if you bought the house), light bill, water bill, gas bill (for cooking and for the house heater depending on the house type), internet bill, cable TV bill, monthly phone bill (phone service in this country is based on month to month subscription and for any month you do not pay or renew your subscription, your line is totally cut off and you're disconnected from friends and family. This is in reverse to what we have in Nigeria whereby if you don't have money to recharge credit on your phone, your line still remains connected for as long as 6 months and you don't have to worry about any monthly subscription fees whatsoever), bus transportation fares or car loan monthly payments (if you purchased your car on loan), gas/fuel for your car, feeding, miscellaneous etc. With little or nothing left after paying all these bills per month, you'd realize that you need to savings of your own. Then you have your relatives and friends back home asking you to send them dollars that afterall you're picking dollars from the streets.

To sum it up, you must have to work or be hardworking at whatever that you do to keep enjoying the social amenities that you enjoy. The system has been designed in such a way with several avenues that take the money away from you as you earn it, thus keeping you entrenched in the system.

Now, who are those I strongly recommend to come to the US? Those people who have very little or nothing going for them in Nigeria. People who work quite hard but have very little or no hopes of making it in Nigeria, people who have very little hopes of achieving, at least, a middle class life - a house, a nice car, a good job etc. in Nigeria. For such people, I strongly recommend them to come to the US. Please come over with any opportunity that you can get. Perhaps with hard work, you would get to live in a middle class style home that you've always wanted, drive new cars and models of your choice (most times on car auto loan with payment plan to pay back the bank or loan lender), have an above-average income job, enjoy the social amenities of America, etc. That is just about it, nothing more nothing less.

For those who already have a system working for them in Nigeria such as a successful business or a well-paying job with huge benefits today or sometime down the line, packing up your bags, abandoning a system already working for you and coming to the US would be your greatest folly. For this set of people, I would not recommend abandoning a system already working greatly for you just for the sake of going to obodo oyibo. With such system working for you, you could comfortably afford to visit the US at your leisure, come shopping in the US, etc. and still get to have a taste of American life while still having your system back home running for you.

With all of these said, it is left to you to evaluate your situation and see where you stand. The ball is in your court and the decision is yours. I ji ji, jide mma (you hold the yam and also the knife, meaning you how you choose to cut the yam is your decision to make). Cheers.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:20am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

i dont think this has anything to do with corruption.. they said Buhari has reduced the revenue they use to get and the TSA affected their finances as well. therefore the individual sponsorship.

i am yet to take a decision as i am still confused on the best that would make life better. if i can get someone that will accommodate me, i will be very happy... i would not mind paying.

this is my third year with them and its not about being comfy with them but myself. the delays before the money comes and the future plans doesnt look all that bright with that kindda money.

That's alright! Just look for scholarship and be happy.

Life abroad is tough as well. Infact, there's no free lunch anywhere in the world, if you're lucky to find someone who will accomodate you for free for a period of time, you have to take up his other bills too, to show compassion.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 10:32am On May 01, 2016
DeeTus:
That's alright! Just look for scholarship and be happy.

Life abroad is tough as well. Infact, there's no free lunch anywhere in the world, if you're lucky to find someone who will accomodate you for free for a period of time, you have to take up his other bills too, to show compassion.

thanks for the encouragement.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:38am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

thanks for the encouragement.
It's okay!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 10:42am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

Typical Nigerian confusing success with affluence, though I can relate with some of the things you mentioned, I think 95% of Nigerians can. Sugbon okele gbigbe pelu alaafia osan ju egbooro maalu laisi ifokanbale... Don't be impatient you even have a federal job that people will kill for not all this cutthroat private jobs... Count your blessings bro, you are luckier than you think.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 10:44am On May 01, 2016
Holudarey01:
Happy new month.
To those waiting for admission, oya receive it.
Those going to face the VO, receive your visa.
All the best guys.

Dare how far, ETSU don turn up? You must get that GA o... You deserve to.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 10:51am On May 01, 2016
mrego:

lol. any beef with the person behind the name?

if i can get shelter...the rest shouldn't be much of a problem. i can hustle my way to make some cash. i heard i can do 2 to 3 jobs and make good money.

Who will hire an illegal Actually I know a few, drug lords do not really care about visa status, get caught and you will experience true American 'hospitality', another group will hire you and pay you below minimum wage under the table, if they refuse to pay or pay below what was agreed, are you going to call the police? As MsNas will say take off your rose colored glasses. Get down to work, write exams, get into good programs (VIU, Uni of Phoenix not included) and get your Visa. Long cut get sweat, short cut get blood naso dem talk am
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 11:12am On May 01, 2016
i have read all this with apt attention and its quite educative. i will surely put all you have said into consideration before taking that step (either to cut the yam leave it entirely ). there is a chance of me growing in my job but you know how civil service is in Nigeria. there is practically no civil servant that doesn't complain and i don't want to ever start feeling that way in years to come. thanks for this.

bigfrancis21:

First off, life in America is not all beds of roses. Now, I am going to be plain and direct with you about life in America and tell it to you as it is. I am not wont to give off the impression of America as heaven on earth while actually the reality in the same 'heaven' is the opposite for many people living here. As a new immigrant to this country, basically you are starting life afresh and you would need between 2 to 5 years to be able to stand on your feet in this country and this includes sorting out your permanent residency status (many people get married to a PRdent or citizen, join the US army and become a citizen immediately thereby bypassing the green card step but joining the army requires signing about 6 years of contract with them, or obtain their PR by doing business and investing up to $500,000 or $1,000,000 depending on the type of business or by refugee/asylum status etc.) and this could take about a year or two to achieve, going back to school here in the US to obtain a US degree (our Nigerian degrees are not usually recognized here and to land well-paying jobs in corporate america, as an immigrant you would need to obtain a US degree and any attendant certifications where and when necessary - be prepared to go back to school again here in the US, establishing a credit history for yourself (I cannot overemphasize the importance of starting early as soon as one gets to America to start building one's credit history as this is the key to so many doors of opportunity in this country) etc. and it takes at least a year or 2 to have satisfactory credit history and a good score, adapting to the American culture, learning Americans and their ways of thinking and doing things etc. America has a high taxation rate, especially for employees. The tax rate can be very high especially if you're single. To give you an example, from a paycheck of $1,500 for 2 weeks of work (here you are paid biweekly and not once every month end like in Nigeria), about $400 is deducted in form of federal taxes, state taxes etc. leaving you with about $1,100. Or out of an annual yearly salary of $70,000, your actual take home pay would be about $46,000 as a single individual, with about $24,000 paid to Uncle Sam as taxes. Now, if you're married or you have kids, the tax rate is lower.

America is a beautiful country with an efficiently working system and well advanced technology in almost every facet of life. The weather is adorable such that within a year of staying here you begin to notice changes on your skin (with sunshine for only about 3 to 4 months of the entire year and cold/rain/snow for the remainder of the year, your skin begins to produce less and less of melanin pigment). The economy is robust such that without a university degree, there are lots of jobs for you to survive on but there is only an extent to how much you can make compared to having a US university degree. Food here is cheap and with $100 you can eat comfortably per month, especially if you cook at home. There is constant electricity 24/7 and you never have to worry about there being no light when you get home at night after a long stressful day. Water runs steadily at home - both hot and cold, and the choice is yours to use depending on the weather. Almost all homes are equipped with heaters and ACs such that you enjoy the best of summer and winter weathers. The system here works in so many ways. Depending on the state, there is often a minimum wage that is paid, and this ensures that nobody is unfairly underpaid in any work they do. Oh, did I forget the yearly tax returns? Did you know that every year you are required to file what they call a tax return, which is basically Uncle Sam's (nickname for the IRS) way of ensuring that everyone is paying their fair share of taxes and you are refunded some or all of Federal or/and state taxes you paid for the previous year which could amount to $1,000s? The internet service here is very fast with wi-fi in almost every house, on campus, some restaurants and fast food joints etc. There is much more enforced security and you can be sure of police arriving at your house in less than 5 minutes when you dial 911. The United States Postal Services works such that you barely have the need to use courier services except for international packages. The roads are all well-built with very few potholes here and there to ensure that your car lasts you quite a while. Needless to say, life in America is very comfortable but this comfort comes at a huge price. It is not for free neither is it cheap.

On the flip side, nothing in America is free. Every freebie you enjoy is accounted for in this country. You pay for every social amenity you enjoy down to the very little of it. Out of your biweekly paychecks per month you pay for your rent (or mortgage if you bought the house), light bill, water bill, gas bill (for cooking and for the house heater depending on the house type), internet bill, cable TV bill, monthly phone bill (phone service in this country is based on month to month subscription and for any month you do not pay or renew your subscription, your line is totally cut off and you're disconnected from friends and family. This is in reverse to what we have in Nigeria whereby if you don't have money to recharge credit on your phone, your line still remains connected for as long as 6 months and you don't have to worry about any monthly subscription fees whatsoever), bus transportation fares or car loan monthly payments (if you purchased your car on loan), gas/fuel for your car, feeding, miscellaneous etc. With little or nothing left after paying all these bills per month, you'd realize that you need to savings of your own. Then you have your relatives and friends back home asking you to send them dollars that afterall you're picking dollars from the streets.

To sum it up, you must have to work or be hardworking at whatever that you do to keep enjoying the social amenities that you enjoy. The system has been designed in such a way with several avenues that take the money away from you as you earn it, thus keeping you entrenched in the system.

Now, who are those I strongly recommend to come to the US? Those people who have very little or nothing going for them in Nigeria. People who work quite hard but have very little or no hopes of making it in Nigeria, people who have very little hopes of achieving, at least, a middle class life - a house, a nice car, a good job etc. in Nigeria. For such people, I strongly recommend them to come to the US. Please come over with any opportunity that you can get. Perhaps with hard work, you would get to live in a middle class style home that you've always wanted, drive new cars and models of your choice (most times on car auto loan with payment plan to pay back the bank or loan lender), have an above-average income job, enjoy the social amenities of America, etc. That is just about it, nothing more nothing less.

For those who already have a system working for them in Nigeria such as a successful business or a well-paying job with huge benefits today or sometime down the line, packing up your bags, abandoning a system already working for you and coming to the US would be your greatest folly. For this set of people, I would not recommend abandoning a system already working greatly for you just for the sake of going to obodo oyibo. With such system working for you, you could comfortably afford to visit the US at your leisure, come shopping in the US, etc. and still get to have a taste of American life while still having your system back home running for you.

With all of these said, it is left to you to evaluate your situation and see where you stand. The ball is in your court and the decision is yours. I ji ji, jide mma (you hold the yam and also the knife, meaning you how you choose to cut the yam is your decision to make). Cheers.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 11:17am On May 01, 2016
gunther6:

Who will hire an illegal Actually I know a few, drug lords do not really care about visa status, get caught and you will experience true American 'hospitality', another group will hire you and pay you below minimum wage under the table, if they refuse to pay or pay below what was agreed, are you going to call the police? As MsNas will say take off your rose colored glasses. Get down to work, write exams, get into good programs (VIU, Uni of Phoenix not included) and get your Visa. Long cut get sweat, short cut get blood naso dem talk am

hmm. all these is just scary. seems this school route is way better though tougher. thanks for ur input.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:31am On May 01, 2016
gunther6:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:33am On May 01, 2016
gunther6:

This week hopefully, something good would come up.
Thanks baba and happy new month.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:37am On May 01, 2016
Happy Sunday guys, wish us all smiles and success with our admissions, exams and visas this new month and beyond.. Amen.
Who is preparing for GRE and IELTS in Abuja, let's read, learn and prepare together, know of any library around? kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by youngmoney416: 11:48am On May 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

I want to ask few questions.
1. You do mentioned of monthly phone subscription. Do they give unlimited data and calls to both local and international numbers.
2. What can you say about Victoria, Texas and Florida because I applied to several universities for my undergraduate degree in computer science at university of Houston, Victoria. And am awaiting their admission response.
3. Which city in US is a high tech hub aside California and schools in Silicon Valley
4. What are my chances of succeeding as an inventor like facebook's Mark Zuckerberg considering the fact that I am not a permanent resident nor citizen. Do they support international students in the area of invention and startup.
5. What general advice would you give me considering my aspirations

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.