Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,021 members, 7,953,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:59 AM

Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra (18951 Views)

What Lagos Yoruba Need To Know About Lagos. / See How Lagosians Struggle To Get To Their Destinations After Heavy Rainfall / Inside Story Of Why Dasuki Is In Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by otr1(m): 9:21am On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

Which names?

Which words?

Which incantations?
I can get you tens of thousands of full blooded Bini natives who bear Yoruba names like Bose, Ayo, Temi, Toyin, Bola etc.
And if nothing else, Oba is a yoruba word as It is obvious the morphemes of the word, O (the one) and ba (rules) are non-existent among them.
You know where to go if you want to hear Bini incantations, but I doubt a flaathead like you- who doesn't even understand "wa kin pa e"- will comprehend anything.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by wytecat: 9:23am On Aug 29, 2015
Hogwash!

Fake page.

Btw, your link is NOT supporting your claims that " Eko is no man's land"

I think your link needs finishing.

What do these words mean in Bini?

Camp =
War =

Enough of your dance, just answer the question if Eko means anything in Bini.

italo:

Shut up. Either you listen to the Lagos State Govt...or you take up your fight with them.

Prior to the Portuguese name of Lagos being adopted, Lagos was originally called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink, by its Bini conquerors. History has it that the Oba of Bini sent various trade expeditions to Ghana where spices were traded and one of his traders complained about the way she was being treated by the Awori's. The Oba of Bini then sent a trade expedition by sea. Ironically, the leader of the expedition arrived in the evening at a time when the people who were predominantly fishermen were either wading into the water or getting into their boats to gather their catch. He declined to engage them further and returned to what is now called Benin City where he reported to the Oba of Bini that they were attacked. This prompted the Oba of Bini to constitute a war expedition led by Ado, a Bini Prince to go to Lagos and demand an explanation. This was over 650 years ago. However, on getting there, they were well received. The people were so enamored with Ado they asked him to stay and lead them. He agreed on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Bini to which they agreed. The Oba of Bini was told this and he gave his permission for the expedition to remain. The Oba of Bini later sent some of his chiefs including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others to assist Ado in the running of Eko. Till today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State and his status is different from other Oba's most of whom were later given back their crowns and staff of office only within the last 40 years and have various classifications.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagelinks.php?p=8
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by italo: 9:25am On Aug 29, 2015
Let the Yorubas tell us the Yoruba meanings of:

Eko, Idumagbo, Idumota, Eletu Odibo, Oduduwa.

Let them tell us exactly where Oduduwa came from.

Let them tell us when he came to Ileife.

2sex, wytecat, otr1 put heads together and tell us.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by 2sex(m): 9:27am On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

They probably got it from Oranmiyan who was the son of Ekaladerhan who you call Oduduwa and falsely claim fell from heaven, trekked from Mecca, trekked from Egypt, born by Lamurudu etc.

Lies! Oduduwa was a Bini Prince who was banished. He trekked to Ileife and single handedly subdued your people and ruled them and was their god.
This is an Anambra son dude... I don't by most of the lies peddled by you lots. Come to Benin and tell them the rubbish you are peddling on here na.

I know the Benin history more than you can think off. Formerly, Benin king was called Ogiso. Dude, get your history right. Even the Binis know how they got the name Oba.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by wytecat: 9:32am On Aug 29, 2015
Who is the appendage now?

Yoruba was their first Oba.

They bear Yoruba names

They must use Yoruba in their incantations for the orisa.

Yoruba has big subgroups they don't.

We have bigger Religion, Art & Cultures known all over the world. Who knows them?

There are Yoruba speaking villages in Edo, even to the heart of delta. No Edo speaking in Yoruba land.

2sex:
LOL... how did the Binis get the name OBA for their king? You guys are damn shameful...
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by italo: 9:33am On Aug 29, 2015
otr1:

I can get you tens of thousands of full blooded Bini natives who bear Yoruba names like Bose, Ayo, Temi, Toyin, Bola etc.
And if nothing else, Oba is a yoruba word as It is obvious the morphemes of the word, O (the one) and ba (rules) are non-existent among them.
You know where to go if you want to hear Bini incantations, but I doubt a flaathead like you- who doesn't even understand "wa kin pa e"- will comprehend anything.

Why are you calling me Igbo just because I ask you which names and incantations you speak about. I know truth hurts but try to control yourself.

If there are Bini people that bear Yoruba names, what does it prove?

Also, please look at this website and tell me if it is fake or that of Lagos State Govt.

If it is real, can you please advise your Yoruba brother wytecat to accept the truth and stop being a liar?

Thanks.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by otr1(m): 9:36am On Aug 29, 2015
italo:
grin

How many origins does this your Oduduwa have?

First, he fell from heaven; then he was born by Okanbi; then miraculously, he gave birth to Okanbi who was supposed to be his father; then he trekked from Mecca; then he was born by Lamurudu; then finally, he trekked from Egypt.

All these lies, simply because you're ashamed to admit that your god, Oduduwa was Bini Prince Ekaladerhan.
I’m yoruba and I know yorubas are Egyptian migrants that’s how far we can trace our history but this is also very evident in our oral history as most yoruba words are same in meaning or almost same in pronounciation with the major Egyptian language.
Yoruboid vocabulary of today can be deduced either directly or indirectly from the ancient Egyptian. These are the original ancient Egyptian language devoid of Arab and Latin words that are very few in the Yoruboid vocabulary.
It is not really certain when king Oduduwa came from Egypt. He must have come in one of the many migrations. But since the Yoruba religious discourse has a lot of identities with Egyptian, Oduduwa would have left Egypt at a very early period perhaps after the Hyksos invasion of 2000-1500BC, but not later than 30BC.
While we have spoken Yoruba language, and practiced Yoruba cultures from time immemorial, it is obvious and even logical, that some aspects of our culture are borrowed. These borrowings point to ancient Egypt. It is also evident that while we have been in our geopolity from time immemorial, some aspects of our culture: divine kingship and aspects of religion: seem to be wholesale importation from Ancient Egypt.

So if there's ever any run-away Bini prince at all, he must have been killed by a wild animal before he got to the present day Ore.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by italo: 9:38am On Aug 29, 2015
2sex:
This is an Anambra son dude... I don't by most of the lies peddled by you lots. Come to Benin and tell them the rubbish you are peddling on here na.

I know the Benin history more than you can think off. Formerly, Benin king was called Ogiso. Dude, get your history right. Even the Binis know how they got the name Oba.

Lmao! Bros, how can you know Bini history when you don't even know your Yoruba history.

For starters:

Who is Oduduwa?

What does Oduduwa mean?

Where did he come from?

When did he come? grin
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by wytecat: 9:53am On Aug 29, 2015
Odu to da iwa.

'Odu' as in Odu Ifa

To da = that creates

Iwa = character

Ododo iwa = good character

All Yoruba came from the same place at different times. And Oduduwa was from one of the hamlets in Ile Ife with origin in the middle east.

Hope you guys know where you come from. We do!

italo:

Lmao! Bros, how can you know Bini history when you don't even know your Yoruba history.

For starters:

Who is Oduduwa?

What does Oduduwa mean?

Where did he come from?

When did he come? grin
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by otr1(m): 9:54am On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

Why are you calling me Igbo just because I ask you which names and incantations you speak about. I know truth hurts but try to control yourself.

If there are Bini people that bear Yoruba names, what does it prove?

Also, please look at this website and tell me if it is fake or that of Lagos State Govt.

If it is real, can you please advise your Yoruba brother wytecat to accept the truth and stop being a liar?

Thanks.
I'm not disputing the fact that Binis must have had some influence on Eko- no wonder the title of the Island King is Oba; a common name in Yoruba language- but the Yorubas more than a thousand year earlier, had influenced the Binis in no small measure.
Why is the Queen of England not bearing Adebimpe, but we have our people here bearing English names?
That shows you who had influence on who and who colonized who between the Yorubas and the Binis.
The Yorubas are the owners of the "goat"; Binis and the "yam"; Lagos, so it doesn't matter if the "goat" eats the "yam", there's no loss here. Let outsiders mind their own businesses.

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by ibedun: 10:01am On Aug 29, 2015
otr1:

I'm not disputing the fact that Binis must have had some influence on Eko- no wonder the title of the Island King is Oba; a common name in Yoruba language- but the Yorubas more than a thousand year earlier, have influenced the Binis in no small measure.
Why is the Queen of England not bearing Adebimpe and we have our people here bearing English names?
That shows you who had influence on who and who colonized who between the Yorubas and the Binis.
The Yorubas are the owners of the "goat"; Binis and the "yam"; Lagos, so it doesn't matter if the "goat" eats the "yam", there's no loss here. Let outsides mind their own businesses.

One bottle of Hennessy for you!!! Oloririkori no awon Igbo yi.

5 Likes

Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by otr1(m): 10:07am On Aug 29, 2015
ibedun:

One bottle of Hennessy for you!!! Oloririkori no awon Igbo yi.
Oro won ti su mi.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by osemwengie1: 10:09am On Aug 29, 2015
2sex:

. Answer her question.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

For starters:

Who is Oduduwa?

What does Oduduwa mean?

Where did he come from?

When did he come? grin
Oduduwa is the son of lamurudu the first Ooni of ife and progenitor of the yoruba people.
Oduduwa (Odu-ti-o-du-iwa) means the reservoir of culture or manners.
Oduduwa was said to have come from the east with his father lamurudu and brothers. Some have taken the east to mean mecca or Egypt but from all I have read this is most likely the region of ekiti and okun but most definitely not benin as you would suggest.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by wytecat: 10:26am On Aug 29, 2015
Lies, I've been told by an Etsako guy that there are Yoruba speaking villages in his area, and it made sense cos how can there be so many people with Yoruba names when we don't speak the same language with the Bini, so some indigenous people of Yoruba laid the foundation for that. I was also told that older Bini speak Yoruba.

First we don't speak the same language with the modern day Bini and our names are given to commemorate what's happening at the time, so you have to have that ancestry and understand the culture to give those names at that rate.

Second, since the modern day Bini don't speak a Yoruba dialect but deep inside delta some do, I believe these Bini were NOT the original ones, but Ibos that fought and pushed the real Bini (Olukumi, Itsekiri)that were the original owner and Yoruba into Delta, and occupy the land. So it makes sense that the Olukumi and Itsekiri always claim to be from Bini. The modern day Bini may actually be Ibos, and this might explain why they don't see us as one. Ugbo and Itsekiri speak Yoruba dialects, but Bini don't. And this might actually be the conquest they meant.

Ubenedictus:
it is not yoruba, it is etsako the language spoken by the afemai people of edo state.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by boxiposhags: 10:49am On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

1. Who told you I'm a tribalist? Some of you just type without reading or even thinking.

2. You have no way or proving that Eyigbemi is Oba Akenzua's child's name...or if it is, that the spelling is even correct. Try searching Google for Eyigbemi and tell me if you find anything.
The "You" in question is not you. I meant all tribalist.I did not Eyigbemi was an oba's child in benin Kingdom.But I have a simple question for You. Are Benin and Yoruba related or not ?
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by wytecat: 11:00am On Aug 29, 2015
Check the post above yours and stop going round the circle.

You can also check this page from others about Oduduwa's father Lamurudu.

italo:

For starters:

Who is Oduduwa?

What does Oduduwa mean?

Where did he come from?

When did he come? grin
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by laudate: 11:18am On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

1. Who told you I'm a tribalist? Some of you just type without reading or even thinking.

2. You have no way or proving that Eyigbemi is Oba Akenzua's child's name...or if it is, that the spelling is even correct. Try searching Google for Eyigbemi and tell me if you find anything.

So because his name is not on Google, it means he does not exist?? shocked shocked I don't get it oh! Does it mean that every human being's name has to be listed on Google?
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by italo: 12:02pm On Aug 29, 2015
laudate:

So because his name is not on Google, it means he does not exist?? shocked shocked I don't get it oh! Does it mean that every human being's name has to be listed on Google?

I didn't say that. There's no need to distort what I said.

I said 'you' can't prove to me that Eyigbemi, if that's the spelling is Akenzua's child's name.

"He was my classmate" is no proof.

The name not on Google could be an indication that the name is not used by anybody of note.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by italo: 12:03pm On Aug 29, 2015
boxiposhags:
The "You" in question is not you. I meant all tribalist.I did not Eyigbemi was an oba's child in benin Kingdom.But I have a simple question for You. Are Benin and Yoruba related or not ?

I don't know.

Do you know?
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

I don't know.

Do you know?
I see you avoided my mention. Please me who was oduduwas father and why he was banished from benin.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by italo: 12:23pm On Aug 29, 2015
otr1:

I’m yoruba and I know yorubas are Egyptian migrants that’s how far we can trace our history but this is also very evident in our oral history as most yoruba words are same in meaning or almost same in pronounciation with the major Egyptian language.
Yoruboid vocabulary of today can be deduced either directly or indirectly from the ancient Egyptian. These are the original ancient Egyptian language devoid of Arab and Latin words that are very few in the Yoruboid vocabulary.
It is not really certain when king Oduduwa came from Egypt. He must have come in one of the many migrations. But since the Yoruba religious discourse has a lot of identities with Egyptian, Oduduwa would have left Egypt at a very early period perhaps after the Hyksos invasion of 2000-1500BC, but not later than 30BC.
While we have spoken Yoruba language, and practiced Yoruba cultures from time immemorial, it is obvious and even logical, that some aspects of our culture are borrowed. These borrowings point to ancient Egypt. It is also evident that while we have been in our geopolity from time immemorial, some aspects of our culture: divine kingship and aspects of religion: seem to be wholesale importation from Ancient Egypt.

So if there's ever any run-away Bini prince at all, he must have been killed by a wild animal before he got to the present day Ore.

By your account, Oduduwa came from Egypt to Ileife around 2045 - 4000 years ago.

Did he come with other Yorubas or did he come and meet Yorubas in Ileife?

Are you saying the Yorubas that claim Oduduwa came from heaven, Mecca, are wrong?

Are you saying ichiato is wrong when he says Oduduwa came with Lamurudu from Ekiti/Okun (not Egypt) to Ileife?

Was Oduduwa the first Ooni of Ife?

How many Oonis have there been till date?
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by laudate: 12:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

I didn't say that. There's no need to distort what I said.

I said 'you' can't prove to me that Eyigbemi, if that's the spelling is Akenzua's child's name.

"He was my classmate" is no proof.

The name not on Google could be an indication that the name is not used by anybody of note.

Oga, the spelling is 100% percent correct! No doubt about that. Every child in my school was taught to spell not just his own name correctly, but those of his classmates. I was often selected to write down the names of the noise makers in my class, and Eyi often tried to bribe me with groundnut & popcorn, to remove his name from the list! grin
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 29, 2015
italo:

By your account, Oduduwa came from Egypt to Ileife around 2045 - 4000 years ago.

Did he come with other Yorubas or did he come and meet Yorubas in Ileife?

Are you saying the Yorubas that claim Oduduwa came from heaven, Mecca, are wrong?

Are you saying ichiato is wrong when he says Oduduwa came with Lamurudu from Ekiti/Okun (not Egypt) to Ileife?

Was Oduduwa the first Ooni of Ife?

How many Oonis have there been till date?
Please don't misconstrue what I meant. I said oduduwa came from the east. The east has been translated to mean quite a few places. I only gave my personal opinion from what I have read. Besides, all the inaccuracies in the the yorubas account of where oduduwa actually came from does not prove that he was a actually a benin man. So please tell us who the father of oduduwa( the benin prince you claim) and why he he was banished from benin. Also why was the ogiso title set aside for the oba of benin?
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by Mckennedy: 1:54pm On Aug 29, 2015
This link will help better.. http://www.edo-nation.net/eko.htm
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by kingreen: 2:26pm On Aug 29, 2015
Vicotex:
Oba is a benin word. Bini existed before yoruba
Yoruba crown Bini
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by kingreen: 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2015
Vicotex:
Yoruba crown Bini
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by kingreen: 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2015
Vicotex:
Yoruba crown Bini if u don't knw
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by Horllamideh(m): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2015
laudate:

Our classmates in school!! Or isn't it a Yoruba name? Pray, do tell. undecided
It's a yoruba name.....translation varies sha buh i think the meaning i have in mind i.e ''Eyigbemi= This-works-for-me'' is more suitable.
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by kingreen: 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2015
flowfury:
I'am an igbo nd i support d realisation of biafra,i knw most yellowbars can b dicks sumtyms buh i also have some good yellowbar friends.nd seriously i dnt think kanu shud b hammering bou lagos no man's land nd so on rather he shud enlighten our people bou d realisation of biafra nd also do it in a peaceful way.i knw d yoruba oba made foolish statements against d igbos buh lets show dem that we r nt like dem,that we r more civilized than them. I think we shud act wisely if we really want biafra to stand.
shut ur mouth did ur land contain you wat so call DAT oaf name malu or kalu that foolish unsophisticated element did he knw anything about his community which is talkles of another territory is indescreet about Lagos.yeye igbokery imago hisseses

1 Like

Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by Horllamideh(m): 2:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
Christistruth00:

THE MEANING AND ORIGIN OF EKO IN YORUBA

EKO IN YORUBA IS SHORT FOR EREKO WHICH MEANS FIELD, (EREKO ILE) MEANS ISLAND IN YORUBA.TO CONFIRM THIS YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A PLACE CALLED EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND.IN ANCIENT TIMES (BEFORE COLONISATION) EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND WAS A MAJOR MARKET TO WHICH YORUBAS USED TO GO FROM ALL OVER.IT WAS ALSO THE SEAT OF POWER OF PRINCE KOSOKO BEFORE HE ASCENDED THE THRONE TO BECOME OBA OF LAGOS IN 1845.THANKS

ONLY JESUS HEALS BITTERNESS

Simple.....wa se awon orire
Re: Lagosians R In Trouble! One Secret About Lagos U Don't Know_radio Biafra by kingreen: 2:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
koma1:
The guy is confused. His agitating for biafra and at the same time interested in lagos.
if care does nt take all igbo in Lagos will be chase away to their land

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Victim Of Today's Bomb Blast In Borno Receiving Treatment In Hospital (Photo) / #osundecides: APC Candidate, Gheyega Oyetola Casts His Vote (photos) / ‘Come And Chop’ Ministers - This Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.