Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

What Do You Think Of America? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Think Of America? (22339 Views)

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Easyy(m): 9:10am On Dec 14, 2006
TayoD:

@Easyy,

No one ever implied what you have said above. Rather, I have only pointed out what I believe is a fact: most, if not all those who have expressed opinions, either good or bad, have no experiential knowledge of who an average American is. Most of the submissions I guess, are probably from the news media and Hollywood.

If such criteria is used for generalising Nigerians, then I guess we will all be regarded as 419ers and as fetish people.

You would do well to come out with American impressions of Nigeria and let's see what it is, abd how many Americans who have opinions about Nigerians have ever met as many as 5 Nigerians, let alone lived in Nigeria.

I am not saying the opinions expressed here are correct, neither am I saying they are wrong. I am saying that people have a right to express opinions, right or wrong. Americans are probably the worst at doing this because they form all their opinions based on whatever ABC editors and other media editors decide to feed them.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Afam(m): 10:52am On Dec 15, 2006
Easyy:

You would do well to come out with American impressions of Nigeria and let's see what it is, abd how many Americans who have opinions about Nigerians have ever met as many as 5 Nigerians, let alone lived in Nigeria.

I am not saying the opinions expressed here are correct, neither am I saying they are wrong. I am saying that people have a right to express opinions, right or wrong. Americans are probably the worst at doing this because they form all their opinions based on whatever ABC editors and other media editors decide to feed them.

Exactly. Unless we are being told that the Americans have the right to form opinions about Nigerians and Nigerians don't have any rights to form opinions about them.

It's the same double standards and hypocrisy that is causing problems in the world today, same law or priciple is interpreted differently depending on who the law or principle is being applied to.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by TayoD(m): 2:09pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Easyy & Afam,

Why should I be bothered with what Americans think of Nigeria? Why should I go on a quest, the results of which you know will be biased? I have not restricted people's rights to form opinions here, I have only stated that the opinion of most people about America will likely be formed from third parties as you have acknowledged same will be the case for Americans for Nigeria. Please try to understand what you read before you post responses. Besides, you advocate people sharing their iopinion but you will rather have me keep mine to myself. That is hypocrisy you know.

Exactly. Unless we are being told that the Americans have the right to form opinions about Nigerians and Nigerians don't have any rights to form opinions about them.
It's the same double standards and hypocrisy that is causing problems in the world today, same law or priciple is interpreted differently depending on who the law or principle is being applied to.
I wonder who gave you that information. Please try not to misinform the public. It does not speak well of you. Double standard is declaring belief in the freedom of expression but suppressing the opinion of those who may go in a direction you are uncomfortable with.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Afam(m): 2:57pm On Dec 15, 2006
TayoD:

@Easyy & Afam,
I wonder who gave you that information. Please try not to misinform the public. It does not speak well of you. Double standard is declaring belief in the freedom of expression but suppressing the opinion of those who may go in a direction you are uncomfortable with.

I think you need the advice you are freely giving out. Double standard is not what you interprete it to be.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by naija4life(f): 3:31pm On Dec 15, 2006
Down with america, down with George Bush and his evil friends. Down with the instigators.

God bless Nigeria and the poor masses
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by superman(m): 3:47pm On Dec 15, 2006
america think nigeria live alongside monkies in the jungle near ur village! if na lie ask sista
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by culasi(m): 4:09pm On Dec 15, 2006
America a is land of opportunity.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Bossman(m): 9:41pm On Dec 15, 2006
Every country has its good and bad.  The abundance of opportunities here, and the fact that anyone (from anywhere) can make it here as long as you can work hard and are focussed, and can realize the american dream, makes it a unique country on its own.  It's true that American's are probably not well informed about other countries. And, its massive size is partly to blame for that. This is a freaking big country! Heck! There is a 3 hour timezone difference between the east coast and the west coast. A cross-country (east to west coast) flight is about 6 hours. So, there is a whole to worry about within the country, than to worry about what's going on in other countries.  Also, the american media probably plays a role in their lack of knowledge about other places

The negativities aside, this is a very well structured country. You do not have to be educated, or know the president to realize the american dream An ordinary layman, carpentar, mechanic, etc. can become anything and live whereever they want to live. This is very unlikely in a lot of other countries.  It's a pretty diverse country too. Not that ti does not have it's own racism problems like a lot of other western countries. But, at least blacks (and other races) stand a better chance of making it here compared to some other countries.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by birdman(m): 9:42pm On Dec 15, 2006
If you are in Cali, NY Chicago and some more prominent cities, Jakumo's description is almost dead on. Other than high cost of living, SoCal is the place to be grin.

Be warned though, these 'gateway' cities represent a small fraction of America. Once you get into the bible belt and midwest, the story is different. If you are a minority, things can get very oppressive very quickly, especially if you are trying to join the white-collar middle class. You wont believe some of the sh** happening in 2006. I give props to African Americans. I quite frankly cannot imagine how they managed to thrive some 30-40 years ago.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by justin04(m): 11:53pm On Dec 15, 2006
Although Americans can be arrogant, America is still the best country to live in. It is a place where you can start with nothing in life and become somebody. Not to say this does not happen in other countries, but i have heard more rags to riches stories in America than in most other countries. In other words, you can achieve a lot more in America if you have your head screwed on right than in any other place in the world. Just my opinion.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by culasi(m): 11:57pm On Dec 15, 2006
justin04:

Although Americans can be arrogant, America is still the best country to live in. It is a place where you can start with nothing in life and become somebody. Not to say this does not happen in other countries, but i have heard more rags to riches stories in America than in most other countries. In other words, you can achieve a lot more in America if you have your head screwed on right than in any other place in the world. Just my opinion.

I agree with you. smiley
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Dauda(m): 3:54am On Dec 16, 2006
Jakumo:

The first thing that struck me about America was the sheer size of the place. Stepping outside into the street at JFK airport in New York, the road and the cars plying it looked several times bigger than those I'd left behind in England. When I settled in Southern California those five-lane freeways really caught my imagination, though it was a good while before I got up the nerve to cruise those freeways even after I had acquired my driving license.

And those freeways took me to all the places that made my jaw drop in wonder, from the sun-drenched beaches swarming with bikini clad beauties to the snow-capped San Bernardino and San Gabriel mountains where I learned to ski, and where I enjoyed some of the most exhilarating evenings of my life floating down flood-lit slopes during flurries of dry snow so light that it bollowed off in huge plumes with every turn of the skis.

I learned in the engineering college of the university I attended that Americans can be the most focused academic strivers, who let little distract them from the goal of getting that degree as fast as possible and with the best grades, and I learned that racist attitudes melt away in the face of proven performance whether in an academic or a professional setting. Some of the "top guns" in my engineering classes were of Vietnamese or Chinese descent, but they were greatly respected and consulted by all for their academic determination and awesome brilliance in exams.

And there I suppose lies one of the central pillars of the American mindset. Any individual who works hard to rise above whatever perceived obstacles exist in that society will EARN the respect of their peers, and will surely find their own place in the sun, in the land that I will call the greatest on earth no matter where my travels take me, and for as long as I live.

Well said.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by promise72(m): 7:57am On Dec 16, 2006
All the opinions i have read so far are correct yet wrong. whatever your opinion is about america, i beg you to do one thing for me. Go to 1st bank or Oceanic or any other banks that transacts western union and see how many people are waiting to get dollars for america. Every freaggin day.

No matter how small $50, $100, in some funny way millions in Niger are still alive cos of America and other countries. Please get this clear cos i will only say it once: THERE IS NO COUNTRY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH THAT DOESNT DO BUSINESS WITH AMERICA. In one way or the other. Directly, indirectly, Legal, illegal or whatever. why is that.

there are countries that US dont give a damn about and dont deal with but not the other way round. All these punks in these stupid countries screaming down wt America yari yari yara. You know the funny thing? Most of their "Big Men" either study in America or their kids are in America. As soon as their country boils over, the first safe haven that comes to their coconut head is Good ol USA. Obasanjo, atiku dem All have connection here. If going gets though, they know who to cry to.

US is by no means perfect. But there is no country with the amt of influence as the US. Only 2% of Americans are farmers. Yet there is no place in the world where you'll never find a food item from US (Candy, Cookies, Snickers)

Industrialisation began on massive scale in the US, then copied throughout, somehow you can see other countries' industrialisation as the offspring of the US. Before, you draw your opinion. Check yourself b4 you wreck yourself  zuckers!!!! smiley

still

Baba N Cali since '92.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 10:35am On Dec 16, 2006
America is the land where dreams are fulfilled. It is amazing what an impact this country (the USA) has created on the global scene, its footprints are all over the globe, to the point that when it sneezes, it is as if, the outcome would torpedo the world. Look at the Gulf War and how people were engulfed in watching it. Look at their capitalistic economy, that has poured billions into the hands of private investors. Perhaps, America is like a fantasy land, where dreams are fulfilled. It holds a phenomenal place in today's world. I dare say, there hasnt been any country, even in medieval times whose popularity has eclipsed that of America.

Promise, which side you dey for California?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by promise72(m): 11:16am On Dec 16, 2006
S. Calif
Ex Resident of Orange County (Still works there) Lives in Riverside, CA. attended Cal. State Los Angeles.

southern Cali proper. all day every day.

y'all E40 and 2 short boys. hows da rent smiley

still
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by babasin(m): 1:52pm On Dec 16, 2006
Best Place to Live?? For who?

How come there are more blacks in prison than in school?

Dont believe the hype!!
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by IykeD1(m): 2:30pm On Dec 16, 2006
For its flaws and it has many, its still the GREATEST experiment of a country in the
world in my opinion. No matter how bad things may look in its political life, you just
can't under-estimate its capacity to self-correct.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by 4Play(m): 2:39pm On Dec 16, 2006
There is no better evidence of how good the place is than the ever increasing numbers of people who want to go there.

There are about 190 countries in the world,if America was such a horrible place I wonder why they continue going and those who have already gone are not fleeing in large numbers.

People say that Americans can be ignorant but humanity is full of ignorant people.Just check out Nairaland alone.Do u think if u go to rural areas of Nigeria particularly in the North they are briming with knowledge
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by divinemmy(m): 2:50pm On Dec 16, 2006
Well, I think America is great as said by some members in the forum. God bless America for all there concerned and support for many Nations in the World. Besides, God bless Nation Nigeria too; for I know God is about to use Nigeria for His exploit, and for His glory. once more God bless! Nation Nigeria.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2006
promise72:

All the opinions i have read so far are correct yet wrong. whatever your opinion is about america, i beg you to do one thing for me. Go to 1st bank or Oceanic or any other banks that transacts western union and see how many people are waiting to get dollars for america. Every freaggin day.

No matter how small $50, $100, in some funny way millions in Niger are still alive because of America and other countries. Please get this clear because i will only say it once: THERE IS NO COUNTRY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH THAT DOESNT DO BUSINESS WITH AMERICA. In one way or the other. Directly, indirectly, Legal, illegal or whatever. why is that.

there are countries that US don't give a damn about and don't deal with but not the other way round. All these punks in these stupid countries screaming down wt America yari yari yara. You know the funny thing? Most of their "Big Men" either study in America or their kids are in America. As soon as their country boils over, the first safe haven that comes to their coconut head is Good ol USA. Obasanjo, atiku them All have connection here. If going gets though, they know who to cry to.

US is by no means perfect. But there is no country with the amt of influence as the US. Only 2% of Americans are farmers. Yet there is no place in the world where you'll never find a food item from US (Candy, Cookies, Snickers)

I[i]ndustrialisation began on massive scale in the US[/i], then copied throughout, somehow you can see other countries' industrialisation as the offspring of the US. Before, you draw your opinion. Check yourself before you wreck yourself  zuckers!!!! smiley

still

Baba N Cali since '92.

cool
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by hatbreaker: 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2006
, i cant speak for all americans,but for the great majority, a bunch of noise makers who think theyre the world!!!!but HELLO, the world is fast catching up or even has caught up, even the so called third world countries, thats why they go about not letting their people know whats happenin anywhere else,

Lord bless the world,
and no where else!!
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by nilla(f): 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2006
hatbreaker:

, i can't speak for all americans,but for the great majority, a bunch of noise makers who think theyre the world!!!!but HELLO, the world is fast catching up or even has caught up, even the so called third world countries, thats why they go about not letting their people know whats happenin anywhere else,

Lord bless the world,
and no where else!!

grin
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by twinkledew(f): 5:55pm On Dec 16, 2006
i think this is irrelavant. if you had related your topic to something else that will be great. but you trying to get people's opinion on what they think about America to me is dumb. sry to say.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Sista(f): 8:36pm On Dec 16, 2006
@Superman

america think nigeria live alongside monkies in the jungle near your village! if na lie ask sista

You are so crazy grin

@Topic

[b]Superman [/b]is right. In so many ways, black children in American schools are not learning anything positive about Africa period, not just Nigeria but Africa as a whole. AA children have been taught in so many ways that Africans are the equivalent to a monkey or monkeys. This made AA children very inferior. In fact, still to this day, in the colleges, they refer to Africans as primitive people. Just read any American Anthropological college text book. Skip to the sections that speak about African people, you will see. Primitive, Primitive and bush people Primitive. It's pretty scary. However, America is not the only place that sees Africans as monkeys and primitive people so does Europe, they feel the same way. You must keep in mind that America was stolen from the Native Americans and white people stole America. Those white people who stole America are previous European citizens. The rulers of America are still Europeans to this day. In essence, Europe is the only place that affords some of the same so called benefits as America.

However, I have run into some Americans, many in fact black and white. Black people who traveled to parts of Africa always talk about how good it felt to go back home and how they love those Africans. They also talked about how they were treated as if they were at home, helping them to even realize more that Africa is their home. White American people that I have talked with, they have this thing of always acting so surprised about how the Africans treated them when they stayed in South Africa or other parts of Africa. They talk about how hospitable they were and how sweet they were and when they are saying it, you can see that they are smiling yet looking confused as to how this could be? These Africans are not the heathens and backward people they have been portrayed to be. In fact they are more human than white people in many cases. Even now that some white people know that Africans are good people, what have the they done to change the views about Africa and African people? Sense their voice, (white peoples voice) is the only one that matters. All they want to do is keep traveling to Africa to bask in the warmth of African people, in other words, use African people to make them feel good.

Bottom line, Africans should not be wasting their time giving a damn about what other people think of them. Africans need to unite their self and stop worrying about how other people think of them. Africans also need to stop praising a land and people who do not give a damn about them. I know Africans are a spiritual people and it is hard for them to treat people the way people treat them but this turning the left cheek on behalf of Africans has been going on for to long and it has gotten Africans no where.

As far as America being the land of opportunity, that all depends. Believe you me, America is not all it is cracked up to be. You have to work very hard, harder than usual and you have to know the right people in order to make the best connections that will drive you forward. I am a AA and even I as a citizen has to do this. If you don't have any connections, you better know how to feel your way through really good or you will just be coming to America to become another minority who is making a living on a job he or she will get depressed from and as a result, not really having a life, a social life at that is, out side of your job. Or, you will be running to another country for the so called dream. If not that, you will be going back to Africa, never forgetting the experience you encountered while in search of milk and honey.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by superman(m): 9:59pm On Dec 16, 2006
they think the are foolin superman na lie! so much racism, oppression frm the police, so much brother in jail, i think p-diddy is in the position to tell

i dnt blame all yall that wrk 20 hours a week!

but i can understand naija na naija no bi am. even naija man still duggin up in iraq livin well so lets not confuse stuff

god bless america bless sista bless nigeria bless seun bless u eyeee!
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Sista(f): 10:01pm On Dec 16, 2006
@Superman

they think the are foolin superman na lie! so much racism, oppression frm the police, so much brother in jail, i think p-diddy is in the position to tell

LOL

God bless you [b]Superman [/b]no lie.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by krdea(m): 4:09am On Dec 17, 2006
The worlds Big Brother ! Make dem cool down the young shall grow  cheesy and the grow shall die  sad  !
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by texazzpete(m): 9:23am On Dec 18, 2006
Why do people generalize so much? why perpetuate stereotypes?
Several people here have said things like "Americans are arrogant", thereby implying they fully capture the frame of mind of almost 300million Americans. That's just plain stupid.

what do i think? I think people need to travel more.

Besides, any place with free press/media has got to be loads better than nigeria.
babasin:

Best Place to Live?? For who?

How come there are more blacks in prison than in school?

Dont believe the hype!!

Don't believe the hype yourself. loads of the blacks in jail are there because they sent themselves there.
hatbreaker:

, i can't speak for all americans,but for the great majority, a bunch of noise makers who think theyre the world!!!!but HELLO, the world is fast catching up or even has caught up, even the so called third world countries, thats why they go about not letting their people know whats happenin anywhere else,

Lord bless the world,
and no where else!!

nice! so let's have figures for the 'great majority' and also a list of the 'third world countries' with economies close to or at par wit the US economy.

The rep of the US is at an all-time low due to Bush's misadventures. But give unto Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser. And be realistic. Nigeria's no way near the US. not now, not anytime soon.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by 4Play(m): 11:39am On Dec 18, 2006
How can Nigerians have the audacity to insult Americans.They don't know what other people around the world think of Nigerians
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Pain(m): 5:14am On Dec 19, 2006
What Do I Think of America?

America is a Topic That Would Arouse Discussions and Arguments Any Day. Just like is Happening Now grin

Its a Country to reckon with. Great I'd Say.

No Matter What U Do, No Matter What U Feel About USA, Please Experience USA!!

Its Worth Every Bit Of It.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by 9ja4eva: 12:58am On Dec 20, 2006
4 Play:

How can Nigerians have the audacity to insult Americans.They don't know what other people around the world think of Nigerians

Mr Judge who the hell is America?What does dt mean?Am so so disappointed in you.I wldnt want to know where u hail from but den i must add dis : If u a Nigerian then ita a pity.What do other people around think of Nigeria?What is it let us know.Your god America is not even to be mentioned where sincere continents are talking.Do u know how America came about their shaky stand today.I will advise you to please go back to school and read History.What is in America?You wey dey London what are you working as there?We blacks come on and say rubbish because of some propaganda of some silly nations.If you tink America is all dt den go dere and end dere.America to me is mere dreams cos its nt a real society.Its a society of shame,cheats,liars,racism,credit and above all fake stories.

Y'all shld try watching some of their inner shows and y'all nt dere shld really nt believe CNN cos o'er ere dey gat like 2 real CNN wey dey talk different from d odas.America is a nation of wahala.Can u imagine work work work to pay bills no money to spend around.The real Americans cannot even afford to travel out of their State because no money.They treat the blacks here as slaves.Some days ago police men killed some black man who was on Bachelors night eve a day to his wedding.They shot him 50times.They treat blacks so bad dt dey wish dere was nothing like black.The black Americans also do d same to Africans and someone is saying its d land of opportunity.America i know will fall someday and then Africa will rise.To inform you further i will want you to know that the 2worlds failed and d third world(Africa)is the next to come.Then i hope people like u wnt bother coming back home.

America is jst a whole trash covered with some gold and den people dnt get to know d real happenings.They are fake.You can imagine sometime i went to some place and some gurl walked up to me when she saw my passport and was like hey u Nigerian?I was like yes big time cant u c my band.She den said oh i neva heard of d Country till d time of d plane crash and dt i was told u stay on trees.I ansa am telll am say oh really i neva heard of the US too till after the Hurricane.You know wat d silly gurl did she went and started lafn with her friends dt hey i told her i neva heard of her COuntry till bla.Dt thing bring fight for mall dt day cos she talk am put inside another Nigerian ear.

They think dey r superior bt den i tell u na color dey decieve us.They are as daft as any daft thing u can think of.America is a city of Cagn no social life.Students who get money r exempted sha.If Nigeria gets her stuff 2geda she will beat US handsdown.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by sweetilomo(f): 2:54pm On Dec 20, 2006
getting started here is the problem here.once you are settled,i believe america is the place to be.atleast better than our own country where our govt dont care about who we become and what we are cos of their our selfishness.god bless america.i still love my country but i guess i had to leave for greener pastures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20)

Us Immigration Visa Interview Experience / International Flights To Resume On September 5 / 4 Students Killed As Epileptic Driver Crashes Into Trailer After Seizure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.