Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

What Do You Think Of America? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Think Of America? (22354 Views)

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 5:46am On Feb 15, 2007
@Omo Eko

I have tried to be polite to you because you are a female, don't let me begin to get nasty with you. All I know is America has done for me what my Country of birth, Nigeria couldn't and can not do for me so don't hate on me because I've got the best taste.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by katherinae(f): 5:51am On Feb 15, 2007
America is not like heaven but it's very comfortable, i will not say it's much better than my country but i's okay. the only fun thing is clubbing, mall, party, which i think is whack

@omoeko

to ur defense, yes americca is definately convenient but not like nigeria. now according to u, u say that the only things are clubbin , mall, parties. well there are a million and one things to do in the US unlike a place from nigeria.
whenever i go home to nigeria, it seems the only things to do there, is visit the same people, clubs, eating out and going to boring traditinal weddings. so yes u do have a point but i disagree wiht u, in america there are a million and one things to do, i actually get bored in nigeria after a while. i mean for christ sakes there is only so much partyin and eating out u can do, and it seems that is all is being done there.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 5:53am On Feb 15, 2007
TASTE OF WHAT OH PLZ. WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE FOR U. HOWEVER DON'T USE ME BEEN A FEMALE AS AN EXCUSE, I WANT TO SEE U GET NASTY. AND Y THE HELL ARE U SIGNING IN AND OUT, ARE U SCARED AM GONNA ATTACK U OR WHAT. ***goodnight my American wanna be***
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 5:56am On Feb 15, 2007
@ katherinae

Nigeria has change a lot but people just don't realize it. there are lot of things u can do to keep yourself busy. the last time i went i didn't even wanna come back, even am planning on going this summer.

But i just hate the fact that people make nigeria look bad than it's already is.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 6:03am On Feb 15, 2007
Anytime, I prefer Nigeria to America. I dont find Nigeria boring at all, when I visit, though, it may be the same faces that I would be seeing, most of the time. Theme parks and going to the movie theaters is a poor substitute for human interaction. No wonder some people get lonely in America. In Naija, there is your next door neighbour to interact with, either at your house or at the drinking parlour. In America, the protocol is too much.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 6:06am On Feb 15, 2007
Ndipe:

Anytime, I prefer Nigeria to America. I don't find Nigeria boring at all, when I visit, though, it may be the same faces that I would be seeing, most of the time. Theme parks and going to the movie theaters is a poor substitute for human interaction. No wonder some people get lonely in America. In Naija, there is your next door neighbour to interact with, either at your house or at the drinking parlour. In America, the protocol is too much.
PLZ EXPLAIN THAT TO Multitask BECAUSE HE THINKS AMERICA IS JUST LIKE HEAVEN cheesy cheesy
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by katherinae(f): 6:07am On Feb 15, 2007
omoeko

girl i feel u, and i agree some things have definately improved in naija

i went recently but still could not be intriguied enough, i mean yeah i was impressed but i definately got bored after a while, ,
and dont get me wrong its unfair to compare naija to america because we still have a long way to get to where such countris like the US and the UK are.

i guess it justs boils down to personal preference.  i dont mind going to places in naija but i definately get bored when i see the same people in the same certain places.
let me give u an example, on my way to naija i saw this family on the same plane, we all landed in lagos,  while i was in abuja in some useless expensive chinese restaurant the same family walked in. undecided
i know thats not bad, but after that happens ot u a couple of times. it gets irritating
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by jgirl3: 6:07am On Feb 15, 2007
Ndipe, exactly. If there is no light here for 20 mins, the whole place will just die of fun. In Naija, no matter what, you'll almost always have fun. I love my country and I'm not sure I want my kids growing up in Sodom and Gomorrah.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by katherinae(f): 6:12am On Feb 15, 2007
basically teh whole point is that if u grew up in nigeria then yes u would like it, and if u didnt then to hell wiht the place.

to me it all boils down to safety. That nigeria cant offer enough to make me go home permanently, visit yes sure, but to stay permanently probably not
and when i have kids i would love to send them to school there but it isnt safe, u cant calculate th erisks, with their planes, or armed robbers, that is waht matters to me the most safety. I have known too many people who died or knew some one that died from armed robbers or just plain stupidity
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 6:18am On Feb 15, 2007
In general people that claim they can't leave in Naija but can visit, let war start in America now they will be the first one to take that plane back to the country they weren't claiming before. for example Multitask
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 6:24am On Feb 15, 2007
@ Omo Eko

Or should I call you sisi eko, I am less afraid of death. It comes to us all no matter where you are on the planet. There is by far more security here in America than anywhere else today.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by jgirl3: 6:31am On Feb 15, 2007
I still don't understand why you would prefer some other place to your home. But well different strokes for different people.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 6:32am On Feb 15, 2007
@Multitask

u are just making me laugh sha, so are u telling me America is well secured. if that true y is it that the crime rate in Philly, NY, Detroit went and they haven't done anything to stop it, and u telling me America is safe.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by jgirl3: 6:35am On Feb 15, 2007
Have you heard about the one in New Orleans? 13 people randomly shot before the 10th of January at the beginning of this year.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 6:37am On Feb 15, 2007
No i didn't. i don't even watch News anymore because it's feel of sadness, no good news at all.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 6:43am On Feb 15, 2007
@ j-girl

I born into planet earth, that is home enough.

@ Omo Eko

America has a very effective 911 system, those people should aquaint themselves with it and learn to use it accordingly.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 6:49am On Feb 15, 2007
Multitask:

@ j-girl

@ Omo Eko

America has a very effective 911 system, those people should aquaint themselves with it and learn to use it accordingly.
are u really listening to yourself, anyway that your business, think whatever u wanna, but just note at the back of your head that YOU ARE NIGERIAN
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 7:08am On Feb 15, 2007
@ O mo Eko

Its not a deal for me.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by jgirl3: 7:12am On Feb 15, 2007
@omo eko, he's obviously american straight up so let him express his sincere feelings about his wonderful country. As he said, it's not a deal for him.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 8:50am On Feb 15, 2007
Katharine, you mean, your sense of happiness diminished when you saw the same couple you had encountered on the plane at a restaurant? Is that boring, or what? Why would you even let that determine your episode to determine your state of mind?

If I was in your shoes that day, and I had seen the couple, I would, either introduce myself to them, or just go ahead with what I was doing earlier. You cant let such minute stuff bother you.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by katherinae(f): 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2007
oh ndipe

it didnt really bother me, see i grew up in nigeria and because of the type of schools i went to and the family freinds we had, i always interacted with the same kind of people. Even then i was a little uninterested with the settings. whenever we went to parties the same people trying to outdo the other person with clothes or cars shocked same BS. even now when i go home to visit, it's the same old thing, only now majority of the kids are from UK or US. I guess what i am trying to say is that in nigeria there are circles, similar to the US but unlike nigeria, the americasn are always dieing ot express themselves so u can have different classes and types of friends. trust me that is hard to do in nigeria, if ur dad is rich hten majority of th epeople u know will be, which sometimes can be a bad thing. (see our parents did a good job of sheltering us - u know keeping us away from certain crouds, so in essence i easily could be seen as the black sheep because i like to deviate from what is expected sometimes).

Omo eko

even though i think america is safer than nigeria, if there was a war in the US i wont even wait for a plane, i will swim my ass home asap. grin its just life u know.

also the whole thing with nepa taking light in naija, yes its fun for say one day, but when they take light for two whole freaking months. i dont care if the masquerade is in town and its not christmas, it just isnt fun anymore. mosquito biting, no internet, no cable, and hten to make it worse incompitent ewus who all they want is bribe bribe, oh boy that gets irritating quick. soo in all ernest i would trade a fun day wiht out electricity for my life in the US.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by sage(m): 1:51am On Feb 16, 2007
@J-girl

Sodom and Gommorah is relative.

To the Arabs in Saudi Arabia, the way women behave in all Southern and Non muslim Nigeria is equivalent to Sodom and Gommorah so for them, letting their female kids grow up in Nigeria would be like Sodom and Gommorah right?

I feel kids can grow up well anywhere in the world. Good family upbringing is the key. When i went to a state secondary school in Naija all that most of the guys did was steal, not attend class, smoke weed and look for girls to fork in the gravel area. That don't sound like growing up well does it?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by jgirl3: 3:41am On Feb 16, 2007
I know what you mean. I went to two schools in which I had the chance to become rotten but i didn't. But then again, let's look at U.S. How many kids died last year in school hostage situations. I'm thinking i also want a place where I can discipline my children without the Amebo Social services. I know it depends on family as well but I just don't know about them growing up here.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by gwiz32(m): 1:32pm On Feb 16, 2007
What do I think of America? America makes me think of a big, strong muscle guy with a heart of gold, who also happens to be a klutz. Sure he means well, but he's also kind of dumb sometimes and accidentally causes big problems.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by 9ja4eva: 3:00am On Feb 17, 2007
Multitask:

@ j-girl

@ Omo Eko

You will not only die someday there but the sad news is that your smelling corpse will be rejected cos no one needs bastards like you in their Country.I can go all the way witth you on this and neva look back.You should be aware that in as much u were born a bastard without a place to call home others here are proud Citizens of where they come from.I pity you a lot cos the money sef you no get.Na people like you dey suffer for that America.Indeed their 911 system is efficient.Yeah say more things about the over hyped America.I will however want to know if you stinking idiot can stand near other proud African sons who have been in the States and who are million times richer than you.

Can you stand near the likes of :

Akon,Seal,Hakeem,Drogba,Essien and others who have a more betta life and who still know where dey come from.You no well and i no get time to argue with you.Better stop by to visit a doctor with your health insurance thats if hooligans like you even have one.You better watch what you say and know that the fact you dont want to be associated with Nigeria doesnt mean we who are blessed to be Nigerians do not want to be associated.I am one out of millions of proud NIGERIANS on planet earth.You are LOST.Find your ROOTS so you can teach your kids.
Omo Eko:

are u really listening to yourself, anyway that your business, think whatever u want to, but just note at the back of your head that YOU ARE NIGERIAN

@ Omo-Eko

Hes not a NIGERIAN.Maybe we should start by asking him when he was brought in as a slave to the sugar cane factory in America.Dont mind these kind of bootlickers abeg.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by 9ja4eva: 3:02am On Feb 17, 2007
Omo Eko:

@Multitask

u are just making me laugh sha, so are u telling me America is well secured. if that true y is it that the crime rate in Philly, NY, Detroit went and they haven't done anything to stop it, and u telling me America is safe.

Help me ask him.Well its not his fault he is one of millions who dont know what is happening in the environment.Does he know anything called COURT TV?If he does then he better shouts his mouth
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by 9ja4eva: 3:02am On Feb 17, 2007
@ OMO EKO

Nice we still have thotful people like you who are proud of where they come from.Keep it up gurl
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 6:36am On Feb 17, 2007
@9ja4eva

Oh unrelenting parasite, are you not a virus and a cancer on this thread? I assure you your rotten body is going to stink like a skunk when you quench. Are you not going to die of jealousy? All those people you mentioned and I have one thing in common, we are all enjoying America and you are not. So don't get mad, just go and hang yourself and rest in pieces. The bottom line is I am here and you are not.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by LindaM1(f): 8:51am On Feb 17, 2007
to multitask - the HISTORY channel!!!! (aka WAR channel). surely you jest.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 3:23pm On Feb 17, 2007
@ Linda M.

Not exactly, they show different historic programs, yes including war because the planet, unfortunately has a history of wars, some of which America reluctantly got involved in. But it is very educational, entertaining, informational, and credible. wink
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by alabiyemmy(m): 3:43pm On Feb 18, 2007
It is simple. The people who find America better than home are people who couldnt and can't still find a place for themselves in Nigeria - hence they say America is better for them and they want to stay put as long as possible. No problem and no disputing it. No prosecuting them for that, it is their choice. But, what do you want to become in America that someone else has not become before you? What do u want to acheive in America that someone has not achieved better than you? There fore, if you want to make a name for yourself, invest or do business and be ingenious, then Nigeria is it, but if you are just okay earning few dollars that you earn and living the same bugger eating, club going, mall shopping kind of style, then - u say America is it for you, but at the end of the day - Nigeria holds much fun and more promises than any place else.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Stilettos(f): 5:00pm On Feb 18, 2007
i hear you and feel you **cheers** smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20)

HELP: My Package Sent From USA Is Hanging At The Nigerian Customs / Another 425 Nigerians Arrive From Saudi-arabia / 4 Students Killed As Epileptic Driver Crashes Into Trailer After Seizure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.