Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,083 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

What Do You Think Of America? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Think Of America? (22356 Views)

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 6:49pm On Feb 18, 2007
@alabiyemmy

I can see that you are full of pretense. You are not even in Nigeria and you are talking as though you are. Let me tell you the truth, unless one comes from a family that has material and financial fitness and security, life in Nigeria can be simply hellish and hopeless. By the way do you not know about the thousand upon thousand of Nigerians who enter the American visa lottery program every year just for an opportunity to come here? I don't think those Nigerians will be entering the lottery program every year if Nigeria is as hopeful as you try to present it. The average Nigerian today would slap you across the face if you try by stupid opinions to discourage him/her from doing anything they can to come here.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Stilettos(f): 7:01pm On Feb 18, 2007
you are not getting the point he is making at all. sad
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by alabiyemmy(m): 7:02pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ Multitask

You can say what u want. I am not in Nigeria but I go to Nigeria five times in a year - so I know whats on ground. I can say my own without saying anyone is talking out of pretense, why should you say my opinion is out of pretense just because it doesnt agree with yours? I lived in Nigeria and so does thousand other people lived and still live in Nigeria, not all of them hold the opinion that Nigeria is miserable as the likes of you will want people to beleive. You can hold your own opinion about Nigeria or America - it doesnt mean other people have to agree with your opinion or share the same as yours - I wrote, not for you to agree with me but for me to put forward my own opinion - so talk freely without putting down my own opinion as worng.

Spare me.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Stilettos(f): 7:08pm On Feb 18, 2007
yes if only more ppl will do what u say here. they have to tear your opinion down and then turn round to try to make u take their own views. anyways i agree with u alabiyemi
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 7:17pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ alabiyemmy

I agree with u
and y are u wasting your energy on Multitask for goodness sake
his words are worthyless grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by jgirl3: 7:19pm On Feb 18, 2007
You know what gets to me - they will never ever be americans no matter how much they try esp if they have Nigerian names. Why claim another person's country just because it adopted you?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 8:28pm On Feb 18, 2007
@alabiyemmy

Let your opinions about America be practical.

@ Omo Eko

My words are very credible,

@ the other girls who are agreeing with the pretentious one, alabiyemmy

why don't y'all just accept the truth about life in America. That life here is better than life in desperate and hopeless Nigeria, well unless one comes from a rich family which is mostly 419 money anyway
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:32pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ Multitask

Lalalalalalalala thats all u say - no meaning.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 9:40pm On Feb 18, 2007
Multitask:

@alabiyemmy

Let your opinions about America be practical.

@ Omo Eko

My words are very credible,

@ the other girls who are agreeing with the pretentious one, alabiyemmy

why don't y'all just accept the truth about life in America. That life here is better than life in desperate and hopeless Nigeria, well unless one comes from a rich family which is mostly 419 money anyway

am not trying to brag or anything but i come from a wealth family. my parents worked for their money, they sweat to get to where they are today.so are u telling me they are 419 or scams just people they are rich. plz plz plz stop that bullshit talk. what kind of nonsense talk are u saying, just becos u hard an hard or difficult time doesn't mean everyone did.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 10:00pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ Omo Eko

Relax Hun, I wasn't referring to you, enjoy wink
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2007
Multitask:

@ Omo Eko

Relax Hun, I wasn't referring to you, enjoy wink
I never said u were referring to moi or did i and u also contradict yourself in your quote saying that why don't y'all just accept the truth about life in America. That life here is better than life in desperate and hopeless Nigeria, well unless one comes from a rich family which is mostly 419 money anyway, so u means u were generalizing everyone wealth nigerian's then that they are 419 of whatever, that y they are rich
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 11:41pm On Feb 18, 2007
@Omo Eko

I was referring to stilettos and j-girl who were concoring with alabiyemmy's stance. It is very unfortunate that in the American media and perspective, Nigeria happens to be a Country marred with corruption and 419ners. So one has to wonder, how does one get rich in such a corrupt and desperate Country doing honest work?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by alabiyemmy(m): 11:58pm On Feb 18, 2007
@ Multitask

You are realy contradicting yourself - honestly. So no need to comment anymore. You side with what you hear in the American press, sad - majority of people will hail all that is said on American TV as propaganda against Nigeria, but, yourself, a Nigerian, you have used it to conclude that Nigeria is bad and miserable - what a sad thing to say. When Idiagbon came in and said Nigerians are indisciplined and introduced WAI, hear what Fela said to him, how can you say your people are useless, how can you say your people are indisciplined, Fela whitewashed him in his song.
Now, take a cencus of the corrupt people in Nigeria, take a census of the 419, take a census of the dupes, the scammers and compare it to the number of hardworking people in Nigeria, people making their living through honest means and making their money genuinely, you will then agree that there are still meaningful and genuine things to do in Nigeria, it is just sad that you have never seen anything good in your own country - albeit - saying it without mincing words - whatever you become in America - u are still a second class citizen, become an American citizen today - Nigeria is still where you will claim your roots.

I have a business in Nigeria - doing honest work, I am not poor - I dont do government work, I employ people who work under me - they dont steal government money - they are hardworking and make a living doing honest work. In short, I think it is ignorance that speaks like some people speak in here.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 12:07am On Feb 19, 2007
abeg let leave him, stop wasting your energy preaching to him. WANNA BE AMERICAN BOY
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 1:19am On Feb 19, 2007
@ alabiyemmy

Indeed, there are exemptions and I'm happy that you are one of them. One of my wishes is that Nigeria should become as developed and advanced as America sometime in this century or two. grin
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 3:41am On Feb 19, 2007
The reason why life is better in America over Nigeria is that it offers one the chances of living a middle class life. True, Americans are beseted with debt and all what not, but when you look at the bigger picture vis a vis, feeding your family, able to go on vacation, a steady job that pays the bills, or take two jobs to make ends meet, and the dependability of amenities/infrastructures like electricity, telephone and water. How can one complain?

I am not a materialistic person, neither am I interested in becoming wealthy. As long as I can provide for my family and myself and extend my resources to some noteworthy causes, I can live in Naija. Life is not all about making money or living in a mansion, surrounded by top of the line furnitures, or driving a hummer, once a year. It is about contentment. If you are contented making 3 million naira a year back home, then, settle with that. However, don't accuse one of trying to become too American, nor should you just diss Nigeria, because of the prevalent challenges it is undergoing. America, renowned for its storied lifestyle unfortunately is mired in debt. Some people have predicated either accurately or inaccurately that it will be the downfall of America.

Still, I can side with the comments of one of the poster, though, I totally disapprove of their disdain of Nigeria. You graduate from college, and wahala sets in. You comb through all the newspapers, buy stamps and mail out your CV to companies without any positive feedback. Getting a job in Naija without connection is a very daunting and frustrating experience. People back home try sha. Kudos to all of you for weathering the storms. But out here, life is not as rosy as it is commonly depicted on TV/online forums.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by sage(m): 6:39am On Feb 19, 2007
Y'all dont know. Yankee is da place to be. Gives the majority a chance to live well. But if it comes to embezzlment and theivery with goverment connections, Naija all da way grin cheesy
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 10:43am On Feb 19, 2007
My question is this, what happens to our next generation? It sort of galls me when a child tells me that they are not from Nigeria, because they were born in America. I was telling my little cousin that she needs to visit Nigeria, but she told me that Nigeria was not her country, even though her parents are from there. She dislikes Nigeria, should I add, with a passion. So, that is another generation lost in America.

I also think of my ancestral land in Nigeria, my birthright, bequeathed to me by my father, from the sweat of his face and the heritage of his ancestors. Would I just relinquish my birthright to live in yankee? What of the future generations who would be keen on exploring their fatherland, would they be treated like strangers, or forced to apply for a visa, to visit their ancestral land? What of those with a strong aversion to Nigeria because of some negative news occuring in the country?

And even if you choose to abandon your father's land (I mean plot of land, or estate) to come to yankee, how certain are you that strangers wont take over the land, and then 'bill' your descendancts, assuming they choose to settle back home? Those are weighty matters to think of.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 8:17pm On Feb 19, 2007
We all know that America is the place to be, some people on this thread are just reluctant to admit it. One thing that I have always found hard to understand is how Nigerian Government officials never learn anything when they visit America. Why don't they try to invest in a project at a time to make Nigeria more like America in terms of the infrastructures and amenities we enjoy here? For example why can't they say that by the year 2020 they will build a subway system in Lagos city or upgrade the electrical system so that there are no more wanton power outages? Or just clean up Lagos city streets that are sometimes used as improvised garbage dumping site for crying out loud. Until foreigners begin to go on vacations and tourism in Nigeria in large scale, America is healthy for me.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 8:36pm On Feb 19, 2007
Multitask:

We all know that America is the place to be, some people on this thread are just reluctant to admit it. One thing that I have always found hard to understand is how Nigerian Government officials never learn anything when they visit America. Why don't they try to invest in a project at a time to make Nigeria more like America in terms of the infrastructures and amenities we enjoy here? For example why can't they say that by the year 2020 they will build a subway system in Lagos city or upgrade the electrical system so that there are no more wanton power outages? Or just clean up Lagos city streets that are sometimes used as improvised garbage dumping site for crying out loud. Until foreigners begin to go on vacations and tourism in Nigeria in large scale, America is healthy for me.

whenever i read your post, u make me want to slap your face.
this America that u are claiming, do u think they're claiming u too? oh hell, they don't even think your ass even exist at all. people like u are the type that comes back home to nothing. i pity u real bad. i don't know what type of mentality u have, i really don't know.There are other place in America than is worse than Nigeria just becos they don't show on TV doesn't mean there isn't, go to down south and see the way they are leaving. there are place that got no water or even light, and u are feeding us that American feel like Heaven. have u yourself been to heaven?.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:00pm On Feb 19, 2007
For little kids to say they dislike Nigeria is a shame on under who they are growing up, they must have fed them with stories.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Uche2nna(m): 9:10pm On Feb 19, 2007
@ Omo Eko  U come from a wealthy family, well good for U. But U should also take into consideration 80% of the populace that are not that lucky. And pliz don't tell me that did not work hard just like your parents did. Nigeria is my country till tomorrow and I love it to death, but U can not realistically compare living in Nigeria and living in America. These are two opposite extremes.
Even if U are rich in Nigeria U still have to contend with poor roads, constant power outages, little or no water supply and these r things that r taken for granted in other countries by all and sundry.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 9:14pm On Feb 19, 2007
Uche2nna:

@ Omo Eko U come from a wealthy family, well good for U. But U should also take into consideration 80% of the populace that are not that lucky. And pliz don't tell me that did not work hard just like your parents did. Nigeria is my country till tomorrow and I love it to death, but U can not realistically compare living in Nigeria and living in America. These are two opposite extremes.
Even if U are rich in Nigeria U still have to contend with poor roads, constant power outages, little or no water supply and these r things that r taken for granted in other countries by all and sundry.
damn are u attacking me or what. and where did u come from
And i was using it has an example becos Multitask was saying how the rich Nigerians are 419 and scam
and am not sayinf other parents doesn't work hard, so don't use my words against me.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Uche2nna(m): 9:22pm On Feb 19, 2007
LMAO
I was not trying to attack U. Apologies if it sounded dat way. All I am saying is dat if we look at the standard of living of the majority of Nigerians maybe then we can begin to understand why some dont give two hoots about thier country.

By the way, I come from the other side of the divide that U come from, so U can understand Y I am sounding this way.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 9:29pm On Feb 19, 2007
Uche2nna:

LMAO
I was not trying to attack U. Apologies if it sounded that way. All I am saying is that if we look at the standard of living of the majority of Nigerians maybe then we can begin to understand why some don't give two hoots about their country.

By the way, I come from the other side of the divide that U come from, so U can understand Y I am sounding this way.
no it's cool no hard feeling but what i was trying to stay is just becos of the poverty in our country that doesn't mean he/she has to disown your country.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Uche2nna(m): 9:33pm On Feb 19, 2007
Not to disown but I think it is enuff to whip up apathy among the citizens. As for me, I would have really loved to stay back in Nigeria (I miss home like hell) but then---- lipsrsealed
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 9:38pm On Feb 19, 2007
i prefer naija to this place, too much credit card bills to pay angry angry, am moving back to home sweet home in 2yrs after grad school,so i can work in Nigeria instend of here and so am tired of this place already. sad sad sad
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Uche2nna(m): 9:42pm On Feb 19, 2007
Who says U arent gonna be paying bills at home undecided
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2007
off courses i will but the bills back home is not like the ones we pay over here. things are so expensive especially if you are a very high spender, but back home things will be use, if u have your own house and other things.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Uche2nna(m): 9:48pm On Feb 19, 2007
Yeah and the earning power arent the same either. As a grad student, do U know U might be earning more than some proffessors back home
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by OmoEko1(f): 10:00pm On Feb 19, 2007
yes oh and i did my research already before making my decision about moving back home. i will do great if i work with a very good company, and since am an internatonal student they will hire me quick and if i have a good connection i should be able to get a good pay with my major. ***hopefully sha*** undecidedmay God be with me still then wink
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Uche2nna(m): 10:01pm On Feb 19, 2007
Amen

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20)

Another 425 Nigerians Arrive From Saudi-arabia / HELP: My Package Sent From USA Is Hanging At The Nigerian Customs / 4 Students Killed As Epileptic Driver Crashes Into Trailer After Seizure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.