Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

What Do You Think Of America? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Think Of America? (22355 Views)

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Dios(f): 6:29pm On Jan 10, 2007
YO SUPERMAN or superfag, f*ck you and everything you hold dear. American soldiers are stupid,arrogant and untrained?
I'm Nigerian born so I can't say I wish naija soldiers are over here so i can show you who's stupid and untrained while poking them full of holes. Try fighting a war with people who take their stupid religion so serious(just like Nigerians) or live in abject poverty that they accept money from insurgents to plant IED,then get caught and you see grown ass men crying, no bawling, or have your homeboi get shot in the head but you can't shoot back cause you might harm civilians. Most of us don't even want to be over here but we are because americans do their jobs and we got a job to do over in this god forsaken place. Yeah America has it share of baggages with racism, racial profiling, crazy foreign policy and other BS but there is no place I'll rather be. B4 u call me a yankee wannabe, I have a distinct Nigerian name but most people don't even know I ever lived there till I tell them. I'm 23 and i own real estate,drove the type of trucks(SUV) y'all see in the videos,then turned around and got a better 2007 dodge all in the army, shit when I get out I don't even have to go to college even though the government will pay me for it, I'll bet you a couple grand you CAN'T do that in nigeria.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 6:37pm On Jan 10, 2007
@ eslynera

I believe it is those restrictions and rules and their implementations that makes America the developed Country it is today. A lawless Country can not have much room for growth and development.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by superman(m): 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2007
Dios

yo blow u 2! all that $hit in ur post

superman says to the left to the left!!!

god bles US and nigeria
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Dios(f): 7:55am On Jan 11, 2007
angry you really a gay, quoting beyonce "to the left to the left"? Dumb ass f*ck
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by texazzpete(m): 10:07am On Jan 11, 2007
Now, now, boys. such language!
Linda M.:

Ndipe - please don't be fooled. America has a long tradition of throwing away its unwanted goods in the guise of "charity". Fifteen or twenty years ago a major athletic shoe company "donated" its products to a starving African country. Curious that the inhabitants had never worn shoes, (and were still starving and couldn't EAT them, ) When the war in Afghanistan began, Americans "donated" tons of peanut butter to the people, who didn't have a clue what to do with it. I was startled by pictures of Afghanis feeding "Jiffy", "Peter Pan" and "Skippy" to donkeys, because the Afghanis didn't identify this product as "food". America doesn't always do the right thing - there are even worse stories of major American firms donating Bandaids, tampons, and sunscreen (yes, sunscreen!) to poor African countries in exhange for a tax write-off.

I love being an American, but I willl always acknowledge its problems
Linda M. undecided

I think i see your problem. you obvoiusly haven't heard the ancient adage that "Half Loaf is better than Puff-Puff!".
secondly, it's better to donate something than nothing at all.
let's see how donations come about; People take up these causes, using slogans like 'the people are starving' or 'these homeless people'. Concerned americans donate things like blankets, shoes, clothing etc while companies could send food etc. If you were a small parish in the US and you wanted to make a difference in Somalia, what would be easier to send, food or clothing items? and contrary to the entirely unfair picture you're trying to paint, a wide spectrum of food stuff is sent to struggling nations. If a large consignment of peanut butter was sent to soem villagers in afghanistan by mistake, is that enough reason to label charity items 'unwanted' goods? do you think any photographer looking for comic relief would bother to snap pictures of starving villagers eating maize or rice?
Even if American companies send goods over to Africa for tax reliefs, is it so wrong to want to kill two brids with one stone? does it make the goods they send over less palatable to africans?

I think that you do many genuinely generous americans a disservice by your criticisms. Besides, starving people couldnt care less about the how or why!
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 7:30pm On Jan 11, 2007
Simply put, on this planet, America is the place to be. Every other Country comes in at a distant second and third places.
There is no one I know today who wouldn't jump on any opportunity to come and live in this advanced and beautiful Country. And for all you Naijas who are saying all this negative comments about America, I've got this reality check for you "Like it or leave it"
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by iice(f): 8:23am On Jan 12, 2007
LMFAO. . .
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by niceuzor: 2:25pm On Jan 12, 2007
America, America, America,

Men i will say that country is Bless,But while dont we

run a thread on our own country like "What Do you Think Of Nigeria"

i think dat will be more better.

Cheers.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 12, 2007
I love Naija.
I also love America,great opportunities.
My theory is work hard and save save save in America then retire to Naija.

Most Nigerians would flee Canada,Netherlands and Britain if they got a green card lottery.
What does that tell you?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by superman(m): 8:26pm On Jan 12, 2007
that tell us we as nigerians think the same like early men ha u inclusive

anyway true that!
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by alabiyemmy(m): 10:55am On Jan 13, 2007
I know a lot who don't give a damn about living in America - they'll rather stay in Nigeria and go on holidays in America or Britain. So America is good, but the world doesnt start and stop in America. There is life - more life outside America- indeed in Nigeria - my beloved Nigeria. I will give anything to live in Nigeria.

I am waiting for comments from busy bodies who will scream at my last statement.

If you love Nija - no matter where you are - just put a comment on this thread - like I LOVE NIJA. If you hate Nija - regardless of where u are - say I hate Nija.

Y'all feel me?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 11:39am On Jan 13, 2007
I love Nigeria, but this post is about America. Now, why dont you start a thread about our reasons for liking Nigeria? I am sure people would respond to it.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 13, 2007
hate it when people go off tangent.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by superman(m): 11:24pm On Jan 13, 2007
too serious ? dnt u think
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by LindaM1(f): 3:27am On Jan 14, 2007
To Texazzpete - with all due respect, yes, half a loaf is better than, however, the loaf has to be something that the people can EAT. If you can convert 1 billion tampons, tennis shoes and bandaids into food that will sustain those starving in Africa, well, then, God Bless You!
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 10:34am On Jan 14, 2007
@Alabiyemmy

So are you saying that if someone gave you a green card to come and live in America you will refuse?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 11:43pm On Jan 14, 2007
@ Linda M.

You just don't get do you? It is better to give those useful items to those needful people than not to give anything at all. America is not obligated to give. The bottom line is "Something is better than nothing"
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Nobody: 12:47am On Jan 15, 2007
Linda M.:

To Texazzpete - with all due respect, yes, half a loaf is better than, however, the loaf has to be something that the people can EAT. If you can convert 1 billion tampons, tennis shoes and bandaids into food that will sustain those starving in Africa, well, then, God Bless You!

are food items the only needs of man.
Is America obligated to provide food for starving Africans?
How ungrateful can people be
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Nobody: 12:48am On Jan 15, 2007
Multitask:

@Alabiyemmy

So are you saying that if someone gave you a green card to come and live in America you will refuse?
I'll like to hear that answer too
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by LindaM1(f): 4:10am On Jan 15, 2007
, I guess I don't get it. I don't get "giving" when it's not really a gift, and just a self-serving gesture. Oh, well. For those who disagree - here's a challenge: If you really think that someone "in need" appreciates anything you give to him/her: - the next time you see a starving person begging for food, stand before them with a hot steaming sub sandwich, but instead, offer to him or her a tennis shoe or a bandaid. Then I want you to send me a photograph of that person actually eating the item, thanking you profusely for it, and licking their chops, while you wolf your sandwich down, with no reaction from the starving person. THAT I'd LIKE to see!
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 6:41am On Jan 15, 2007
@ Linda M.

Perhasps you'll get it if I apply this approach. OK America did her part and contributed what she could at that time. It is now the turn of you and the Nigerian government to send edible items to the starving Africans and make your own contribution to help them out. Again, America is neither obligated nor mandated to give to other Countries, they only do it because of their compation and generosity. So instead of criticizing their positive and helpful efforts, you should be appreciating and encouraging it less they close their hands and give nothing at all, get it?

Tampons- Needed by women for bleeding control.
Tennis shoes- Worn on the foot for protection and also use for walking from place to place/trecking.
Bandage- Use to protect minor cuts and bruises from germ and bacteria infections.

I don't know about you but this are some useful everyday items here.

Finally, I retain a healthy doubt for the source of your information, American usually include food items in every relief parkage they send to poor and hungry African Nations. I have heard stories of how some corrupt top officials use donations that are meant for the poor for their friends and family.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 6:48am On Jan 15, 2007
Multitask, Linda is an American gal.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 7:27am On Jan 15, 2007
@ Ndipe

Well, some of her post and opinions about America are not very loyal.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 7:39am On Jan 15, 2007
@multitask, and if you scroll through her posts, you will notice that she has painted America in glowing colors, by describing it as a wonderful country. But who knows, maybe she has changed her mind, and joined the American bashers. wink
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 8:00am On Jan 15, 2007
Yea, I did read some of her preceding post, they appeared as though she had a divided loyalty and comprehension towards America's charitable efforts.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 17, 2007
Multitask:

@ Linda M.

Tampons- Needed by women for bleeding control.
Tennis shoes- Worn on the foot for protection and also use for walking from place to place/trecking.
Bandage- Use to protect minor cuts and bruises from germ and bacteria infections.

bleeding control
rephrase that please!!!.
Anyway,I totally agree with you,America is the largest donor of aid to the 3rd world,for anyone to bash this act of kindness is what I struggle to understand.
Please linda post the link to your band aid and sneaker stories was this the American government or a charity organisation?

Charity organisations sometimes collect and donate fairly used clothing,sneakers and even eyeglasses to people who desperately need them.
These countries should be grateful for any help they get.
Most people who complain have never given a penny to salvation army,feed the children,united way , red cross or any other charities.

Food is not the only need of people in the 3rd world.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 3:39am On Jan 17, 2007
@ babyosisi

Pls, for educational purpose, can you tell me what women use tampons for because I've always thought that it is used to control the bleeding or should I say stop the bleeding? enlighten me.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 4:00am On Jan 17, 2007
Tampons are worn for protection during one's cycle, and not to control bleeding. Bandage/plaster/leaves do a better job in controlling bleeding. Maybe the person was telling you to rephrase your tenses.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 5:34am On Jan 17, 2007
OK, but I still need a female responce on this.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Multitask(m): 5:56am On Jan 17, 2007
I did a little research on this tampon use.
According to Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia,
Tampons are cotton materials used during menstration by the ladies
To absorb the flow of blood.
OK, that is that,
Lets move on now.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by chimaze(m): 8:03am On Jan 17, 2007
Multitask:

@Alabiyemmy

I will not relocate to America if I win the visa lottery. There are plenty of opportunities in Nigeria as long as you are focused and hardworking. I just completed my studies in the UK and will be returning to Nigeria in May or June.

I know a lot of Rags to Riches stories in Nigeria (my family is one of them).
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by texazzpete(m): 9:05am On Jan 17, 2007
chimaze:

I will not relocate to America if I win the visa lottery. There are plenty of opportunities in Nigeria as long as you are focused and hardworking. I just completed my studies in the UK and will be returning to Nigeria in May or June.

I know a lot of Rags to Riches stories in Nigeria (my family is one of them).

there's a whole lot of difference between the UK and the US.
Anyway, if you'd completed your studies in nigeria and you hadnt gotten after 2 years of waiting, then you might be tempted, !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20)

HELP: My Package Sent From USA Is Hanging At The Nigerian Customs / Another 425 Nigerians Arrive From Saudi-arabia / 4 Students Killed As Epileptic Driver Crashes Into Trailer After Seizure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.