Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,914 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories (77084 Views)

Oyinbo Man Spotted Hawking Soft Drinks To Nigerians In UK Traffic / Heathrow Airport Replies Nigerian Over Leaking Airport Roof In London / Ada Onyilokwu Nigerian, Dies In London (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by coogar: 10:02pm On Oct 05, 2015
Lizabeth25:
That's d problem about humans! Even if u are killing yourself on d job, oyinbo people use una as slave, instead to run back home and let us receive una like d black sheep, una will prefer to die there!

Is it by force..? undecided

your view is myopic.....
those dirty jobs pay and are taking care of the young & old in nigeria. nigerians in diaspora remit about $21 billion annually in the last 3 years and you are talking about being used as slaves. you need to grab a book and stop reading linda ikeji's blog.

21 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by nochildsplay(m): 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
gbosaa:

Where did you get this from? "So what is 4 that he can't afford after four years of hustling in London"?

Let's do some maths. Taxi drivers make between £500-£800 a week, let's assume his is very lucrative driving football players to trainings and stuff. He will make up to £1000.
That's £26000-£52000 a year. He has to pay the taxi company every week, but fuel, insurance, pay house rent and other domestic expenses.

So you think he could save N10m or around £30k-£40k per year after expenses. Mind you he has to pay tax. So after four years, assuming he landed from Heathrow and started his cab business the following day having mastered all the driving routes from surfing the net in Nigeria or with the aid of his sat nav,He could save N40m or £130k-£135k after hustling for four years??
it's possible GUY !!!

Stop being idealistic
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by heavensown: 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
This writer obviously did not do his/ her research very well. The story is so biased, making it look like all Nigerians in London are suffering. I have NEVER experienced racial discrimination in all my years of being here. And believe me there are many Nigerians doing very well here, doing professional jobs in banks, medical sciences or IT earning very good money such that bills are the least of their problems. However, if you are an illegal migrant, it will be hell for you as you will not get a job. But who can you blame for that when you choose to come in illegally? You have no rights so it's rather unfortunate for those who perhaps did not make the best choice.
Besides, is it not only right for the police to stop anyone running at 4.30am in the morning? no matter the colour of your skin. Even if the person was white, he would have still been stopped. Literally everyone who is on the street at that time is a suspect. People just like to play the race card even when it's not necessary. BTW human beings are naturally subjective and have a tendency to favour those who share similar attributes or backgrounds as them. It is a fact of life which happens everywhere in the world. I would say the tribalism in Nigeria is 100 times worse than any form of racism anyone would experience here. So my message to OP - some of us are happy and very comfortable here okay angry

8 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Ferdinandu(m): 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
Chuksemi post=38679165 :
This post is soo touching. Living in the United Kingdom as an immigrant is hard, yet financially fulfilling, at least in Nigerian standards. But what exactly is the need for money when you are constantly unhappy and at worse, depressed?
I think it's better to stick with your country and slug it out here After all, we would all die one day, what use is it making so much money you can't enjoy. Even some paupers here lead a better and fulfilling life. Any way, only one who wears the shoe knows where it itches.
You made the most valid point. How can I spend most of my life being sad and depressed because I1 feel that I'm making money obviously i cannot live to enjoy. Hell no I don't need a billion dollars I cannot enjoy in this life. It's better i fight it out here in Nigeria with full freedom. There are more opportunities in Nigeria than you can imagine but only the foresighted and the smart ones sees them

Seun, Ishilove, lalasticlala. This post is worth it.
You made the most valid point.How can I spend most of my life being sad and depressed because i feel that I'm making money which obviously I may not live to enjoy .Hell no! I don't need a billion dollars I cannot enjoy in this life .It is better I fight it out here in Nigeria with full freedom .There are more opportunities in Nigeria than you can imagine but only the foresightedand the smart ones sees them.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Ayo8(m): 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2015
emmanuel596:
Pls someone should sumerise it's to early to read dis textbook

In summary they're all trying to say London is a shitty place, get ur stuffs well sorted out before proceeding or else you'll end up in a very shitty situation...

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Obiwannn: 10:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
gbosaa:

Where did you get this from? "So what is 4 that he can't afford after four years of hustling in London"?

Let's do some maths. Taxi drivers make between £500-£800 a week, let's assume his is very lucrative driving football players to trainings and stuff. He will make up to £1000.
That's £26000-£52000 a year. He has to pay the taxi company every week, but fuel, insurance, pay house rent and other domestic expenses.

So you think he could save N10m or around £30k-£40k per year after expenses. Mind you he has to pay tax. So after four years, assuming he landed from Heathrow and started his cab business the following day having mastered all the driving routes from surfing the net in Nigeria or with the aid of his sat nav,He could save N40m or £130k-£135k after hustling for four years??
the article never said he spent four years there. Read again
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by iblaw: 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2015
bebe2:
LONG STORY, cool cool cool

too many nigerians working themselves to death, so they can send money

to some ingrates in naija.

they have forgotten how to enjoy themselves and have fun wink wink wink

come oct 17th the groove is on , if u are in manchester come to my mums 80th birthday party.

no time to check timeooooo grin grin grin grin

Im in Manchester...Trafford. Where is the party make i see my naija people for Manchester

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ronald4lif(m): 10:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
martineverest:
Hmmm..cant believdd dis;probably,the ppl dat surrounds ya are d 9ce type.av always seen d brits d worst racists in western region,and africans are d worst racists in d world,cos tribalism is d worst form of racism

Not true. You must have been hearing that from Nigerians who happens to be one of the most bigoted people on earth. Just take a look at the way we attack each other's religion and tribe to understand the level of intolerance that exist within us. When someone commits a crime the first thing we look at is their names and place of origin.

This is the same mindset we take abroad. Once there's any questioning or normal remarks made to us we assume it to be because of our skin colour. Not saying racism doesn't exist but it's very low and beside UK has one of most effective legislation that deals with racist remarks.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by claremont(m): 10:20pm On Oct 05, 2015
The title of the thread is ''Nigerians in LONDON''. I don't live in London and I have never fancied living there, and I can't speak for those who live there as I'm not experienced enough.

#NorthernPowerhouse4Life! grin

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Obiwannn: 10:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
bonechamberlain:
I have been in the u.s, precisely a white dominated area, Boston, during my stay there nobody even noticed I was black, very friendly and accommodating. my first rascist experience was in London Heathrow, asked a Brit some questions and he looked and kept on moving I knew he was a Brit through his tongue, he just dropped a call before I asked, my problem with u.k is not even about rascim but tax tax tax.

Are the taxes more than Germany?
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by nochildsplay(m): 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
If you think they enslave you in UK, try Dubai na .........

U GO KNOW grin
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by nochildsplay(m): 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
I wonder why most Nigerians belive those in other country are wasting their time and life.

FORGET IT !!! ......... With good focus and monetary cautious. You will build houses and send cars in your garrage back home

While those that condemn them would have graduated for more than 5 years and still dependants on family and friends

HUSTLE is HUSTLE. Face your own

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Kalvan: 10:31pm On Oct 05, 2015
Truthpallbearer:
You all UK-based Nigerians should give back to the Nigerian society instead of calling us sour grapes.

Sour grapes. Lol.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
coogar:

your view is myopic.....
those dirty jobs pay and are taking care of the young & old in nigeria. nigerians in diaspora remit about $21 billion annually in the last 3 years and you are talking about being used as slaves. you need to grab a book and stop reading linda ikeji's blog.
tongue

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by AzontoGhost(m): 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
Can someone summarize the long passage for me please
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Kalvan: 10:34pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ferdinandu:
You made the most valid point.How can I spend most of my life being sad and depressed because i feel that I'm making money which obviously I may not live to enjoy .Hell no! I don't need a billion dollars I cannot enjoy in this life .It is better I fight it out here in Nigeria with full freedom .There are more opportunities in Nigeria than you can imagine but only the foresightedand the smart ones sees them.

Then why are so many youths in Nigeria either unemployed or underemployed?
LOl.

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by AzontoGhost(m): 10:34pm On Oct 05, 2015
sexydivaomalich:
tongue
suffering n smiling...its in the blood wink
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Kalvan: 10:38pm On Oct 05, 2015
Why are Black people(Nigerians(Yigboes)) always so jealous? grin

If you want to live in Nigeria, live there;no one is forcing you to leave. Hahaha.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 05, 2015
AzontoGhost:

suffering n smiling...its in the blood wink
cool
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by AzontoGhost(m): 10:43pm On Oct 05, 2015
sexydivaomalich:
cool
lolx
3te sen?
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sorry! Who is Linda Ikeji

I don't know him tongue

Linda kan, iketa nii!
undecided

coogar:

your view is myopic.....

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ochestraone(m): 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
just stay where u are
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Ferdinandu(m): 10:53pm On Oct 05, 2015
Kalvan:

Then why are so many youths in Nigeria either unemployed or underemployed?
LOl.
Because they refused to be innovative.Once your mind is made up that there is no opportunity in this country you will never see any.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by desource13(m): 10:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
tobimillar:
I read thru every bit of it and first I must say it a wonderful write up and I am disappointed at nairalander's asking for summary above.. please u guys should learn to read.

@topic isn't it funny that a taxi driver in UK is able to build a house in lekki... that is the reason everybody wants to travel even when they know it's not going to be easy.
A graduate working in civil service or even doctors can't build house in lekki except they do illegal runs or have other private businesses
. That's a big lie, a UK taxi driver can never build a house in lekki except he is also doing other illegal deal, but can build house in Ifo, oko-afo and the likes.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by bebe2(f): 11:04pm On Oct 05, 2015
MrCork:

....sweeery plis ignore thoise homebase Nigeria people that never been to London....ama Londoner. By the way, did I mention I drive £28,000(cash)Range rover sopt!! wink

shocked shocked shocked

nothing do you,

if u need cut small change go house hala me,

check my profile pic for my business card smiley
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by bebe2(f): 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
iblaw:

Im in Manchester...Trafford. Where is the party make i see my naija people for Manchester

pm me
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by AdorableBelle(f): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
tspun:

http://thenationonlineng.net/nigerians-in-london-the-never-told-stories/

Needfully long. Highly relevant. Very enlightening. More of this type of info vitally necessary and should be regular in the Nigerian media, both traditional and social!
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by divinehand2003(m): 11:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
[quote author=MrCork post=38700844]

... which home?....bro ama Londoner pliss dont let me swaaar for u....so u want to conpare our London to that yor nigeria wher u people dont have washin machine ore evet sef...ordnary dish wssher..abi? angry[/quote

Even though the washing machine or dish washers are given freely over there, I still prefer Nigeria because I am a first class citizen, no man on uniform seeks to deport me to anywhere and I am free to laugh or cry in Naija without fear or prejudice. But over there, my dear u aren't free.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 05, 2015
Kalvan:
Why are Black people(Nigerians(Yigboes)) always so jealous? grin

If you want to live in Nigeria, live there;no one is forcing you to leave. Hahaha.

FOOL

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Kalvan: 11:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
DrDauda:

FOOL

Truth hurts Lol. grin grin

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Kalvan: 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2015
[quote author=divinehand2003 post=38705199][/quote]

If you're legal, no man can deport you. Dumb-dumb. grin grin
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by adaxxy: 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2015
saintopus:
I carefully read through it.I wonder the point of leaving your country to another man's land hoping to excel. In no too distant future all that will be left is a poor bragging once having a degree in UK.
Where is MrCork with his stupi.d English,bragging about living in London come and see your mates confessing to the hardship they are faced with,
shiooo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

See The Two States In Nigeria You Hardly Hear Of / Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? / 5 Friends Die In A Car Accident While Retuning From Nightclub In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.