Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken (70190 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Where you went wrong was calling all of us Ibibios. We are NOT ibibios mbok. Yes we are related, yes we are family, yes we are under one umbrella. Just that we don't have any umbrella name like the Yorubas, Igbos, Hausaa call themselves. Calling all of us Ibibios is like calling all Yorubas Ijebus. That's sacrilege!
So you understand what I'm trying to say now huh?
TheSonOfMark:

Ibibios, Efiks and, to a large extent, Annangs get along fairly well. Yes, we Ibibios have some cast-in-cement stereotypes about the Annangs but they are harmless.
The troubleshooters? The Orons. They have this siege mentality. They always compare themselves to the Ibibios.
Here's to put things in perspective: There are are 31 L.G.As in Akwaibom State.
18 LGAs are peopled by Ibibios.
8 LGAs are Annangland.
5 LGAs are Oro Nation.
It's only normal that Ibibios have dominated the affairs in the state. What's more? Ibibioland produces oil and Ibibios are the most educated!
I really didn't want to jump into this fray but I had to.

Now that you are explained like this, I'm more enlightened. Thanks for being "civic" as I know your people to be. My argument is that your languages are in the same linguistic cluster. However I do agree you are all different culturally and ethnically.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by kmariko: 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Why cant you be sane enough to make points without attacking someone's personality? Im I an Ibibio or an Efik person? Is it now a crime to research and document tribes I love? Must you insult me?

I cant speak any of these languages and all I wrote are research based. Whether Efik, Anaang, Ibibio, Ibeno, all I know is that they are one people of same stock. If you disagree, you can troll off. If you know so much about your people why haven't you written a thread on them before now? I am showing off your people to the world and you are insulting me. Chei.

That said, my research says Efik is a DIALECT of Ibibio. If you don't agree with whatever I wrote, write a counter-thread. Dont come to my thread and insult my person. No one has a monopoly of insults.

A poorly researched paper presented as a truism is worst than an insult.. What you have done as a non-ethnic "citizen" is to insult a whole group of people because of your poor research. Scratch this paper and start all over again.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:44pm On Nov 02, 2015
kmariko:

A poorly researched paper presented as a truism is worst than an insult.. What you have done as a non-ethnic "citizen" is to insult a whole group of people because of your poor research. Scratch this paper and start all over again.

My research is as good as any other. Google Ibibio and its linguistic clusters and Dialects. I have nothing to say on your various cultures and ethnicities. My argument is on linguistic exclusivity and mutual intelligibility.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by AkwaIbomrep1: 8:45pm On Nov 02, 2015
nigerianvenom:

Do u know why they are marginalised? Its because till tomorrow they can never agree that they are akwa ibomite nor have anything to do with akwa ibom state. u dont reap where u dont sow.
Imagine what d foool above quoted me to say... Saying that if he sees me that he'll stab me at d heart. Just imagine such hatred for my opinion expressed, it goes ti show u how a typical oronian is.
Comparing larry esin who is not known to have attained any height to udom emmanuel who resigned as an ED in one of the best banks in west africa, is that not stupiddity?
Until oronian accept the fact that they are akwa ibomite, they'll remain where they.
Go through the guys post
I'm Akwa ibomite ,Uruan LGA to be precise ,i want to tell the both of u that I am highly disappointed on u ppl, I do see & hear this type of comments in other states & not in Akwa ibom , we are united , oron ,ibibio ,annang ,igbo, efik,ndoni are one ,stop this childish character , I'm confuse a bit if truly that guy is Akwa ibomite or he's from the northern part of the country trying to cause confusion in our state ...... Instead of u ppl to join hand let agitate for Biafra u are there agitating for oron nation , I know oron is a very fine town but can u survive alone , Akwa ibom itself has been marginalized for long by the nigerian govt.,......Biafra is the way ! #VisitAkwaibom

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 8:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
Efik is the most widely spoken and understood language in Akwa/Cross. Not Ibibio. Among all the Akwa/Cross languages, Oron is the most distinct. In fact, listening to Oron people talk can be very tasking! Lol.
However all the languages have similar words and phrases such as
mbok
Abasi
Sosong
di
mmong
kprupkru
ufok uwed
ufok Abasi
Ikot
and many more.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by kmariko: 8:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

My research is as good as any other. Google Ibibio and its linguistic clusters and Dialects. I have nothing to say on your various cultures and ethnicities. My argument is on linguistic exclusivity and mutual intelligibility.

Exactly my point, relying solely on Google without mutual interaction with the subjects lends to unmitigated errors though unintended is seen by the subjects as insults. Wanna write about someone ..talk to them first

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by belcom10(m): 8:48pm On Nov 02, 2015
guy,abeg do ur research well. ok. Abak,ikot ekpene is under annang empire
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by effty(m): 8:48pm On Nov 02, 2015
Which part of Ibibio produces oil? Abi na palm oil u wan talk... Go sch joor. Ibibio-slave.
TheSonOfMark:

Ibibios, Efiks and, to a large extent, Annangs get along fairly well. Yes, we Ibibios have some cast-in-cement stereotypes about the Annangs but they are harmless.

The troubleshooters? The Orons. They have this siege mentality. They always compare themselves to the Ibibios.

Here's to put things in perspective: There are are 31 L.G.As in Akwaibom State.

18 LGAs are peopled by Ibibios.

8 LGAs are Annangland.

5 LGAs are Oro Nation.

It's only normal that Ibibios have dominated the affairs in the state. What's more? Ibibioland produces oil and Ibibios are the most educated!

I really didn't want to jump into this fray but I had to.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:49pm On Nov 02, 2015
effty:
OP, never yu dare call an Oron (Oro) man an Ibibio. If u do, I won't be able to quantify the harsh words u will get.
Oro is a distinct entity with close affinity with d Efiks. To call Oro a part of d Ibibios is d height of insult. Ask any Ibibio person living close to u.

That's now what I said and the insults I'm getting is unjustified. If these people claiming to be language police can research so well, why haven't they written threads to make their points and uplift their language?

My claim is that Eket, Oron, Efik, etc all belong to the same Ibibio or Akwacross language family of which Ibibio is scholarly recognised as the proto language. I am not speaking on their ethnicities or culture but on their language only. It is an academic fact that even Efik/Ibibio students of UNICAL and UNIUYO know.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by effty(m): 8:51pm On Nov 02, 2015
Fake Oro man... Do u know ur lineage at all?
peeparty:
Well articulated @ op.....

# proudoronman#proudakwaibom#Dakaada.#
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 8:52pm On Nov 02, 2015
kmariko:

Exactly my point, relying solely on Google without mutual interaction with the subjects lends to unmitigated errors though unintended is seen by the subjects as insults. Wanna write about someone ..talk to them first

Simple! You can't rely on google for sensitive stuff like this concerning people's heritage. It's very sensitive. Go out and speak to the people themselves to understand better.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:52pm On Nov 02, 2015
kmariko:

I talked to people and read books. I talked to scholars on Ibibio /Efik studies at the University of Uyo. They all agree that Efik/Ibibio are members of the Akwacross linguistic cluster of which Ibibio is the proto language.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:53pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Soooooo annoying! What stops them from doing a lil research before creating threads?
xreal:

That's one bad thing about this computer age - copy and paste [s] anything they come across on the internet [/s].

Those faulting my research skills have a simple answer.

DO A BETTER RESEARCH ON YOUR PEOPLE, WRITE IT AND POST IT FOR IT TO GET TO FP. SHEKINA

I did my research and my argument is on language ONLY. I am not arguing on your ethnicity or culture here. Even English is a Germanic language but that doesn't mean English people are Germans.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 8:55pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I talked to people and read books. I talked to scholars on Ibibio /Efik studies at the University of Uyo. They all agree that Efik/Ibibio are members of the Akwacross linguistic cluster of which Ibibio is the proto language.

You talked to NOBODY! You just went to google cos you were in a hurry to make FP. Take correction, take this very insulting and misinformative thread down and do a better homework.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by kmariko: 8:55pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

That's now what I said and the insults I'm getting is unjustified. If these people claiming to be language police can research so well, why haven't they written threads to make their points and uplift their language?

My claim is that Eket, Oron, Efik, etc all belong to the same Ibibio or Akwacross language family of which Ibibio is scholarly recognised as the proto language. I am not speaking on their ethnicities or culture but on their language only. It is an academic fact that even Efik/Ibibio students of UNICAL and UNIUYO know.

You cannot divorce language from culture. It is essentially what defines it in the broader sense
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:56pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

You talked to NOBODY! You just went to google cos you were in a hurry to make FP. Take correction, take this very insulting and misinformative thread down and do a better homework.

Do you think this is my first writeup? Please Google my name and check my profile.

I've dealt with criticisms like this for so long that criticisms have become sweetlemons.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 8:58pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I just don't get how this Oron and Ibibio argument started. Mr Sowell28 please stop derailing MY THREAD. If you want to argue callously, OPEN YOUR OWN THREAD.

Thank you.

Oron and Ibibio are ONE!

my frcend why are you like this? How much did they pay u? U must be very wicked to distort wikipedia.. Do u know what a research is ? How can u copy and paste a part of wikipedia, remove very relevant infos about Oron people and came up with this poisonous concoction and call it research. Pls google 'ORON PEOPLE' and get informed. Efik is not Ibibio, ibibio is not Efik, ibibio is not Oron, Oron is not Ibibio. Annang is not Ibibio. Stop spreading falsehood. Any noticeable close affinity among them is as a result of being neigbours for a very long time.. Be warned.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:59pm On Nov 02, 2015
kmariko:

You cannot divorce language from culture. It is essentially what defines it in the broader sense

Yes that's true sire. However, in this case you know that these people are not only lingustically similar smiley. However my argument stands still upon linguistics which is my Forte. These tribes are of the same linguistic cluster. Do you disagree?

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:00pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:
my frcend why are you like this? How much did they pay u? U must be very wicked to distort wikipedia.. Do u know what is research? How can u copy and paste a part of wikipedia, remove very relevant infos about Oron people and came up with this poisonous concoction and call it research. Pls google 'ORON PEOPLE' and get informed. Efik is not Ibibio, ibibio is not Efik, icibio is not Oron, Oron is not Ibibio. Annang is not Ibibio. Stop spreading falsehood. Any notice close among them affinity is as a result of being neigbours for a very long time.. Be warned.

I am warned. Thank you for warning me.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by effty(m): 9:02pm On Nov 02, 2015
That number one fact though... yu killed it bro
naijaguy77:

Are you sick? Since when did Oron people become Ibibio? And since when did Oro language or even Efik language become an Ibibio dialect?

Just consider the following facts:

1) Oro people speak oro language, they also generally understand Efik language but only because the bible was first translated into Efik, so the missionaries used Efik to spread the gospel. Even in the most rural parts of Oro, people can understand efik, but ibibio is some irritating sound that no one relates to.

2) Ibibio is a dialect of Efik, not the other way around. Efik is the main language, it is understood by everyone, Efiks, Oros, Ibibios, Anangs, etc. The Efik bible is what is used from Ikot Ekpene to Ikot Ansa, so I wonder which alternate universe you live in where Ibibio is a language and Efik is a dialect?

3) What are the characteristics of a language, as opposed to a dialect? Efik is studied in university, Efik has poetry and artistic music from Inyang Nta Henshaw to Peter Effiom, plays and playwrights, literary luminaries, Professors of Efik language such as E.N. Amaku, Efik alphabets and etymology. Jesus, what is ibibio? Ibibio is a barbaric dialect of the efik language.

Comparing Efik and Ibibio is like comparing Queens Engligh to Pidgin English, just because more idiots speak pidgin English doesn't make it the language, it is still the sub-language/dialect of proper English.

Maybe becuase you have started getting some oil money (which you don't even produce a drop of oil, oil is produced by Oros, Ibenos, and Obolos) and you are no longer houseboy and housegirl, you think you can come on nairaland and denigrate other people's culture and language? You better think again.

The Ibibios, up until recently, have been something of 2nd class citizens in that region. Because they live in the hinterland (despite being in a predominantly Riverine/coastal region) , they had the following misfortunes:

1) The Efiks and Oros are coastal people and their main commodity during the slave trade era were ibibios. They sold ibibios to Europe slave traders and this led to the generally perception of the ibibios as inferior. Since they had no access to the coast and were mere commodity.

2) During the colonial and missionary era, the Europeans first settled in the coast - Lagos, Calabar, Oron etc. Because of this, Education and Administrative generally went to people from the coastal regions, hence the reason why you find the oldest schools in these areas - Hope Waddell Training Institute Calabar, Methodist Boys High School Oron, St. Patrick's College Calabar, Kings College Lagos, etc. Because of this, the ibibios had no access to Education until the late 20th century. This naturally placed them at a disadvantage to the Efiks and Oros, who are coastal people and had earlier interaction with Europeans, embraced western education early, etc.

Today, you see jokers come on the internet to proclaim a barbaric dialect as a language. Can you tell us even one seminal work done in the ibibio dialect? None. You think a sound is considered a language because it is chanted by numerous monkeys?

What a joke.

The main language of the Lower Cross River Basin is EFIK. The dialects of Efik include Ibibio and Anang. Some related languages to Efik are Oro and Ibeno.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 02, 2015
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 9:04pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Yes that's true sire. However, in this case you know that these people are not only lingustically similar smiley. However my argument stands still upon linguistics which is my Forte. These tribes are of the same linguistic cluster. Do you disagree?

Now you are talking. This is how you should have put it from the begining. We are similar, in fact we are a group. BUT we don't have an umbrella name that unifies us as a people like the way Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas do. So we are NOT Ibibios.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:05pm On Nov 02, 2015
JohnSowell25:
If you used the name "Akwacross,that would be much better. it's just like saying Norwegian/Finnish instead of Nordic or Scandinavia. Norwegian,Swedish,Dannish and Finnish are linguistic neighbors just like Oron,Ibibio,Annang and Efik. Norwegian,Danish and Finnish are much more similar .Swedish is exclusive and a little bit different in that group.
Sweetlemon:

Now you are talking. This is how you should have put it from the begining. We are similar, in fact we are a group. BUT we don't have an umbrella name that unifies us a a people like the way Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas do. So we are NOT Ibibios.

Then the term I used should be faulted. What I hate is people insulting my person. I never expected it from you people at all, I swear.

Things can be said as calmly as this. No research is perfect, I agree but fault the work, not the worker.

Secondly, we are on the same page. Most scholars call Akwacross Efik/Ibibio. I used Ibibio as an umbrella term because of population.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 9:07pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Then the term I used should be faulted. What I hate is people insulting my person. I never expected it from this people at all, I swear.

Because you committed sacrilege dammit! Take correction and take this dumb asss thread down!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by AkwaIbomrep1: 9:08pm On Nov 02, 2015
sonnie10:

Bros you go school! Op is not really informed on the topic.

My hypothesis is that Ibibio is a blend of Efik and Igbo but predominately by Efik. I speak and write Efik, Igbo and Ibibio well and as such, have noticed lots of similarities. This similarities can not be regarded as mere coincidence.

I will attempt to list some words that have same meaning in the three languages and then any one can make his/her conclusion.

1) Vulture: Efik/Ibibio- Utere while in Igbo- Udele
2) Bottle: Efik/ Ibibio- Ekpeme while in Igbo - Ekpem
3)Money: Ibibio - Okpoho while in Igbo - Ego or Okpoho
4)Plate : Efik/ Ibibio- Usan while in Igbo (Abriba)- Usan
5) Masquerade: Efik/ Ibibio - Ekpo/Ekpe while in Igbo- Ekpo/ Ekpe
6) Tropical star cherry fruit: Efik/Ibibio - Urari while in Igbo -Udara
7)Spoon : Efik/Ibibio - Ikpang While in some- Igbo Ikpang
cool Clothing: Efik/ Ibibio- ofong while in some Igbo - Ofong
9) Female: Efik / Ibibio - Nwan while in Igbo-Nnwayi
10) Drinks or wine: Efik/Ibibio - Mmin, while in Igbo - Mmie
11) Pigs : Efik/ Ibibio - Edi while in Igbo- Ezi
12)Stock fish: Efik/ Ibibio Okporoko, while in Igbo-Okporoko

There are countless more but let me stop here. Pardon some of my spelling but feel free to contest any of these.

nice one there ,though , udara in Ibo is udara in ibibio & not urari #VisitAkwaibom

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

If you truly conversed with scholars in the University of Uyo, you would have been told that the Orons are linguistically distinct.
Ibibios, Efiks and Annangs do not understand Oron Language.

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Because you committed sacrilege dammit! Take correction and take this dumb asss thread down!

Take "this dumb asss thread down" just because it doesn't Favour you. It's also a sacrilege.

Well. Issorait. I hope to see yours soonest.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 02, 2015
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
I don't know about Akwa Ibom people deep down, but I've been opportune to transverse the length and breadth of that state. I just love everything about Akwa Ibom State. Good people, nice place to be...
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nellypy: 9:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
Op ur journal is 73% truth u forgot to mention a well known place like Itu. Ibibio typical speaking being. Itam, etc
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:13pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

If you truly conversed with scholars in the University of Uyo, you would have been told that the Orons are linguistically distinct.
Ibibios, Efiks and Annangs do not understand Oron Language.

Yes sir. I was informed. I was however made to understand that Oron and others are, like I said, in the same Akwacross cluster, and it is generally agreed that these people once spoke a proto language.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by OboloMAN: 9:13pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

You have no argument here op.

just accept the fact that you came up with a poorly researched thread.

You just patched links from Wikipedia and brought up a single story supporting ibibio theory.

Ibibio (proper) is the native language of the Ibibio people of southern Nigeria .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibibio_language

Who are the Ibibio people ??

Bring down your thread and do proper research.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna" / Fallen 100-Year-Old Tree In Oyo Rises Again, Pulls Crowd (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.