Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken (70197 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 02, 2015
You guys should come together as one people. If you see how diverse Igbo language is yet they identify as one people. When I traveled to Afikpo, I couldn't understand them, including some parts of Enugu. Yet we all identify as Igbo and work as one. Once there are general similarity, no need for division. Get yourselves together.

6 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
Nellypy:
Op ur journal is 73% truth u forgot to mention a well known place like Itu. Ibibio typical speaking being. Itam, etc

Sorry for that oversight. I guess it must have been subsumed. I'd look into that.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Then the term I used should be faulted. What I hate is people insulting my person. I never expected it from you people at all, I swear.

Things can be said as calmly as this. No research is perfect, I agree but fault the work, not the worker.

Secondly, we are on the same page. Most scholars call Akwacross Efik/Ibibio. I used Ibibio as an umbrella term because of population.

It is the place of an AKWAIBOMITE to create a thread about AKWAIBOM ETHNIC GROUPS. Now you are being schooled.

You are as guilty as the imperial europeans - trying to rewrite our history.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by effty(m): 9:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
You are d goat here. The oil in Mbo LGA dey ur papa farm?
nigerianvenom:

Oron doesn't have a single drop of oil, dont be decieve by that gooat. The oil here in is eket/ibeno. They own the oil and not oron as foolishly spread by that tout

4 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
excel234:
You guys should come together as one people. If you see how diverse Igbo language is yet they identify as one people. When I traveled to Afikpo, I couldn't understand them, including some parts of Enugu. Yet we all identify as Igbo and work as one. Once there are general similarity, no need for division. Get yourselves together.

Thank you!!! I never expected this from their people at all. Some are even so HOSTILE.

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2015
-
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:18pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

It is the place of an AKWAIBOMITE to create a thread about AKWAIBOM ETHNIC GROUPS. Now you are being schooled.

You are as guilty as the imperial europeans - trying to rewrite our history.

I am not writing your history. If you want to document your people, I am not tieing you or I'm I? I'm concerned with language and language alone. You guys can keep your myriads of ethnicities and tribalism to yourself.

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:19pm On Nov 02, 2015
JohnSowell25:
Oronians are strong and aggressive and I like that. Oronians are brave and courageous. Oronians are superior in intelligence,beauty,strength,Sex,sports,you name it.

I can see that now. It's obvious!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Kennitrust(m): 9:22pm On Nov 02, 2015
Good one, man. But were u assisted by any aborigine of Ibibio do ur writeup?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 9:24pm On Nov 02, 2015
excel234:

You are not getting the point. No one disputes the fact that we are indeed from the same lineage. We eat EXACTLY the same food, we have similar words and phrases in our dialects, etc. BUT we do not have an umbrella name like you Igbos. Calling all of us Ibibios or Efiks or Annangs is like calling all Igbos Arochukwus. How would you like that That's the point we are trying to drive into some skulls here.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:24pm On Nov 02, 2015
I wonder where we are headed to in Nigeria. Even among a small people in the South, there is so much hatred and bad blood that they can't even stand each other. There is so much hostility that most can't be civic when making points. Nigeria! I once thought these people are free from these squabbles. I was WRONG.

In any case, I still love Ibibios or Efiks, whatever they call themselves now. cool
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by anangboy(m): 9:24pm On Nov 02, 2015
I believe we all have the capacity to criticise with dialectic reason.

OP, the history of discord between the Efik and Ibibio language is very contentious. Numerous articles have been written on both sides claiming progenitor but we might never know.

And please desist from calling Ibibio a proto in scholarship because Efik was actually the first Nigerian language to have the translation of the bible and the Efik language is the earliest standard language of scholarship of the AkwaCross people.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:27pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

You are not getting the point. No one disputes the fact that we are indeed from the same lineage. We eat EXACTLY the same food, we have similar words and phrases in our dialects, etc. BUT we do not have an umbrella name like you Igbos. Calling all of us Ibibios or Efiks or Annangs is like calling all Igbos Arochukwus. How would you like that That's the point we are trying to drive into some skulls here.

The question is simple aunty.

What SHOULD WE STRANGERS AND LOVERS CALL YOU? No one has said anything on this and yet you are quick to attack other names. You'd prefer we call you all CALABAR PEOPLE?

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Kennitrust(m): 9:27pm On Nov 02, 2015
Kennitrust:
Good one, man. But were u assisted by any aborigine of Ibibio do ur writeup?
Good one, man. But were u assisted by any aborigine of Ibibio to do ur writeup?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2015
anangboy:
I believe we all have the capacity to criticise with dialectic reason.

OP, the history of discord between the Efik and Ibibio language is very contentious. Numerous articles have been written on both sides claiming progenitor but we might never know.

And please desist from calling Ibibio a proto in scholarship because Efik was actually the first Nigerian language to have the translation of the bible and the Efik language is the earliest standard language of scholarship of the AkwaCross people.

Thank you sir for your voice of reason. I stand corrected.

I said Ibibio is proto mainly because of the fact that all members of the cluster follow Ibibio's linguistic rules in syntactic and morphological analysis and paradigms.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 9:31pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I talked to people and read books. I talked to scholars on Ibibio /Efik studies at the University of Uyo. They all agree that Efik/Ibibio are members of the Akwacross linguistic cluster of which Ibibio is the proto language.
when u talked to Ibibio ppla t Uyo for ur so called research, did u ask d Ibibioman why they can throw bomb if called 'owo ibibio' by Oron or Efikman?

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

What SHOULD WE STRANGERS AND LOVERS CALL YOU? No one has said anything on this and yet you are quick to attack other names. You'd prefer we call you all CALABAR PEOPLE?

There is no name for now. Just call us AkwaCross. I won't mind "Calabar people" though but some strong headed ones may not.
Calabar was our base and Efik is our most widely spoken language so I guess the name 'Calabar' is fair enough. But stick to AkwaCross for now to avoid complications.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:33pm On Nov 02, 2015
Kennitrust:
Good one, man. But were u assisted by any aborigine of Ibibio to do ur writeup?

Yes sir. Not just aborigines but graduates of Efik/Ibibio at the University of Uyo where I am anchored on currently.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by xreal: 9:33pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Those faulting my research skills have a simple answer.

DO A BETTER RESEARCH ON YOUR PEOPLE, WRITE IT AND POST IT FOR IT TO GET TO FP. SHEKINA

I did my research and my argument is on language ONLY. I am not arguing on your ethnicity or culture here. Even English is a Germanic language but that doesn't mean English people are Germans.

Guy, forget!

You got no point. No point whatsoever.

So the fact that you cooked up something false which made Front Page is your joy?

It's a shame seeing the number of people condemning your write up.

This isn't a research skill. You must have meant Copy and Paste skill.

No crime in what you did, but it's false, and that's the truth.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

There is no name for now. Just call us AkwaCross. I won't mind "Calabar people" though but some strong headed ones may not.
Calabar was our base and Efik is our most widely spoken language so I guess the name 'Calabar' is fair enough. But stick to AkwaCross for now to avoid complications.

Thank you. I stand corrected.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I am not writing your history. If you want to document your people, I am not tieing you or I'm I? I'm concerned with language and language alone. You guys can keep your myriads of ethnicities and tribalism to yourself.

Aha! I knew with a little push I'd elucidate that suppressed prejudice.

We Akwaibomites recognize our differences which in itself breeds relative respect.

You want to insult Akwaibomites?

Hinting about respect: Why do the people of Enugu and Anambra discriminate against Abakilikis?wink
Why are the Mbaise people treated with disdain?
Why are Ngwa people always ridiculed?

Need I go on? You Igbos HATE YOURSELVES!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
xreal:

Guy, forget!

You got no point. No point whatsoever.

So the fact that you cooked up something false which made Front Page is your joy?

It's a shame seeing the number of people condemning your write up.

It is well with you.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by OboloMAN: 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Call an ibibio man Ibibio
Call an Efik Man Efik
Call an Anang man anang
Call an oron ma Oro
Call an Oboloman Obolo.

And don't generalise then into one imaginary umbrella that does not Exist , Even if there's an Umbrella it is not ibibio.

They are all distinct and unique people.

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:35pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

We Akwaibomites recognize our differences which in itself breeds relative respect.

Hinting about respect: Why do the people of Enugu and Anambra discriminate against Abakilikis?wink

Please sire, I have said this before. I am not IGBO!

I am not even from any Igbo state. I am from Delta but currently based in AkwaCross territory.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:36pm On Nov 02, 2015
OboloMAN:

Call an ibibio man Ibibio
Call an Efik Man Efik
Call an Anang man anang
Call an oron ma Oro
Call an Oboloman Obolo.

And don't generalise then into one imaginary umbrella that does not Exist , Even if there's an Umbrella it is not ibibio.

They are all distinct and unique people.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

However, I hold on to my view that you are all of the same cluster linguistically and I won't change grounds on that. These terms you proferred now are mere ethnic dileanators.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Thank you!!! I never expected this from their people at all. Some are even so HOSTILE.

The way you wade into their history doesn't seem so right tho, looked like someone with an agenda. I wouldn't take sides on something i know nothing about anyway.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by somegirl1: 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Get a grip
He's Urhobo, not Igbo
And for the record, Igbos don't hate themselves.

9 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2015
engrkenny:

The way you wade into their history doesn't seem so right tho, looked like someone with an agenda. I wouldn't take sides on something i know nothing about anyway.

To correct that sir, I am not taking sides. I don't even know the so called sides. My own is simple. All these groups belong to the same linguistic cluster. Do you disagree?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by xreal: 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

It is well with you.

You too.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Sosong o!

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by anangboy(m): 9:43pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Thank you sir for your voice of reason. I stand corrected.

I said Ibibio is proto mainly because of the fact that all members of the cluster follow Ibibio's linguistic rules in syntactic and morphological analysis and paradigms.

This statement affirms Ibibio language as the progenitor which actually goes against recorded evidence. Efik was one of the earliest Nigerian languages,with the original orthography devised in 1812, by King Eyo Nsa Honesty. In 1860, it was one of the first three Nigerian languages to be codified with its own orthography and grammar.

Give it a rest. It's almost a catch-22.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
Nice one as usual Fratermathy.... Imagine the chasm these mods would have left in my vast brain had it been you didn't create an awareness against wayward threads. I strongly hope you won't get banned.... As such is the reception for any one who tries to sanitize the thought of moderators here....

Thanks for saving NL.... We won't allow knowledge go to the dogs while shenanigans dwells....

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna" / Fallen 100-Year-Old Tree In Oyo Rises Again, Pulls Crowd (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.