Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken (70199 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:48pm On Nov 02, 2015
somegirl1:

Get a grip
He's Urhobo, not Igbo
And for the record, Igbos don't hate themselves.

Oh please! You can't deceive me!

Go to Aba. Once an Abakiliki man is sighted, snide remarks are directed at him. They jeer at him.

An Enugu man refers to Ebonyi people as "barbarians" and prefers to starve than eat with them because he considers them dirty and they COOK WITH HOUSE RATS.

I dare any Igbo man to deny this!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 9:48pm On Nov 02, 2015
anangboy:

This statement affirms Ibibio language as the progenitor which actually goes against recorded evidence. Efik was one of the earliest Nigerian languages,with the original orthography devised in 1812, by King Eyo Nsa Honesty. In 1860, it was one of the first three Nigerian languages to be codified with its own orthography and grammar.

Give it a rest. It's almost a catch-22.

Like seriously! The guy is beginning to make me feel he has mental issues. How can he be arguing with the indegenes ourselves about our own heritage
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Aha! I knew with a little push I'd elucidate that suppressed prejudice.

We Akwaibomites recognize our differences which in itself breeds relative respect.

You want to insult Akwaibomites?

Hinting about respect: Why do the people of Enugu and Anambra discriminate against Abakilikis?wink
Why are the Mbaise people treated with disdain?
Why are Ngwa people always ridiculed?

Need I go on? You Igbos HATE YOURSELVES!
Poor logic.... Smh...

6 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by somegirl1: 9:52pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Go to Aba. Once an Abakiliki man is sighted, snide remarks are directed at him. They jeer at him.

An Enugu man refers to Ebonyi people as "barbarians" and prefers to starve than eat with them because he considers them dirty and they COOK WITH HOUSE RATS.

That's not hate. It's ignorance.
Two very different things.

9 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Like seriously! The guy is beginning to make me feel he has mental issues. How can he be arguing with the indegenes themselves about their own heritage
Funny how you attack the Op rather than issues raised.... He stated facts based on research and findings. Best you could do is ask for his sources!

You are from Ibom doesn't give you the locus to the monopoly of knowledge about it's culture.... I know the history and historiography of Bayelsa than most Bayelsans I have met..

So chill love! And discuss! Not attacking his person...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by genuinechimere(m): 9:59pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

blatant lie. Poor judgement

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by anangboy(m): 10:01pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Like seriously! The guy is beginning to make me feel he has mental issues. How can he be arguing with the indegenes ourselves about our own heritage

Sis, you are right. The AkwaCross people are very passionate about their language and culture.

OP, wikipedia is not accepted in scholarship citations for obvious reasons. The articles you quoted from there can't be confirmed to be without bias.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 10:01pm On Nov 02, 2015
Freemanan:

Funny how you attack the Op rather than issues raised.... He stated facts based on research and findings. Best you could do is ask for his sources!

You are from Ibom doesn't give you the locus to the monopoly of knowledge about it's culture.... I know the history and historiography of Bayelsa than most Bayelsans I have met..

We are attacking him because he has totally refused to take correction which is getting more and more annoying. Personally I came into this thread lightly but I have been growing angrier because oga OP is just NOT getting things into his skull. Calling us Ibibios or Efiks or Annangs, etc is like calling all Yorubas Ijebus and all Igbos Arochukwus. It's a big blow to our heritage pride and it's a sensitive issue. Why are you guys no just getting the point?
I give up! Geez!

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Rex123(m): 10:03pm On Nov 02, 2015
nigerianvenom:

Nice write up by the op.
I love this. Though an oron man, annang and eket man will never agree to d fact that they are also ibibio.
If in doubt, ask IbokUtoroh.
D church mentioned above-QUA IBOE CHURCH is my church.
Popular ibibio guys include :
Okon lagos, ini edo, frank edoho, Vincent Enyeama, rose barkley of everton, tha suspect, don tom, presh of kc presh, etim esin, etc

rose barkley grandfather was ibibio, but Rose is British! Am not sure he thinks about his Nigeria link sef!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by OboloMAN: 10:05pm On Nov 02, 2015
The Op Certainly in his introductory remark "This thread is devoted to the Ibibio people "

Why end up bringing other ethnic Nationalities into your thread?

Who are the ibibio people?

Your thread should concentrate on them.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 10:07pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Please sire, I have said this before. I am not IGBO!

I am not even from any Igbo state. I am from Delta but currently based in AkwaCross territory.
oh na warriman term paper u call researh? So u b comedian? Smh.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

We are attacking him because he has totally refused to take correction which is getting more and more annoying. Personally I came into this thread lightly but I have been growing angrier because oga OP is just NOT getting things into his skull. Calling us Ibibios or Efiks or Annangs, etc is like calling all Yorubas Ijebus and all Igbos Arochukwus. It's a big blow to our heritage pride and it's a sensitive issue. Why are you guys no just getting the point?
I give up! Geez!
Oh oh Chill.... "YOU GUYS?"....

Fratermathy is a reasonable specie and I am sure he will agree that you are correct. The attack was unnecessary!

Apologies might not be a bad idea.... grin
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:
Meaning?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:11pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:

Leave am Freemanan. Make him yarn opata. Abaka nor be tiko.

It is well.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
somegirl1:

That's not hate. It's ignorance.
Two very different things.

I'd rather not whip the sick horse. IGBOS ANTAGONIZE THEMSELVES A LOT.

It wouldn't serve our common political goal(s) to push the issue but know this, missy: Igbos antagonize themselves. I can list countless examples to lay credence to my claim(s).

Just to prove to you how relatively united Akwaibomites are, here's an example:

The ministerial nominee for Akwaibom State (Udo Udoma) is an IBIBIO MAN but he was endorsed by all ethnic groups in the state.

Contrarily, every ministerial nominee from IGBOS STATES are being antagonized by sub-ethnic groups in each IGBO STATE.

NEED I GO ON?!

Your "IGBOS ARE UNITED" mantra doesn't stand.

Cc: Sweetlemon

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
Freemanan:

Oh oh Chill.... "YOU GUYS?"....

Fratermathy is a reasonable specie and I am sure he will agree that you are correct. The attack was unnecessary!

Apologies might not be a bad idea.... grin

I've even told them I stand corrected and they are still being insultive. If only they know where we are coming from.. Na today we begin write?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by thundafire: 10:13pm On Nov 02, 2015
the pictures u shown re nt part of dy ibibios dy re strictly dy EFIK culture wen did Ibibios start having dy leopard society OP be warned do proper research b4 posting rubbish,Efik nd Ibibios re 2 distinct languages with different tradition nd dy Ibibios re known with their masquerade called EKPO y comparing both nd even calling dat efik came out 4rm ibibio who knws dy ibibio if nt 4 dy enlightenment of Efiks 4ck u OP

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by thundafire: 10:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
Freemanan:

OP speaking rubbish EFIKS cnt be compared 2 dy ibibios u no dy shame say u dy showcase EFIK culture nd claiming ibibios rubbish
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by kmariko: 10:16pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I am not writing your history. If you want to document your people, I am not tieing you or I'm I? I'm concerned with language and language alone. You guys can keep your myriads of ethnicities and tribalism to yourself.

In ethnic research such as this, it is imperative that you MUST spend sometime with the "natives" and get an idea how they view themselves. Eg. In Urban (sic.minority) anthropology, white anthropologist even have a sting with known drug dealers for years studying them in other to get a clear picture of the culture...you just don't report a collection of ethnic stories told in another language as a schorlarly research..... That's why they are angry at this report.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I've even told them I stand corrected and they are still being insultive. If only they know where we are coming from.. Na today we begin write?

Sweetlemon you grab?
Mark Twain II just acknowledged your corrections again!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 02, 2015
thundafire:

OP speaking rubbish EFIKS cnt be compared 2 dy ibibios u no dy shame say u dy showcase EFIK culture nd claiming ibibios rubbish

Have you been following proceedings on the thread? That issue has been flogged...
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by thundafire: 10:18pm On Nov 02, 2015
3. Efik: Categorised as Riverain Ibibio calling efik with ibibio is an insult nd neva heard off
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

You are not getting the point. No one disputes the fact that we are indeed from the same lineage. We eat EXACTLY the same food, we have similar words and phrases in our dialects, etc. BUT we do not have an umbrella name like you Igbos. Calling all of us Ibibios or Efiks or Annangs is like calling all Igbos Arochukwus. How would you like that That's the point we are trying to drive into some skulls here.
OP called all of you Ibibios undecided . whatever rocks your boat.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 10:19pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

It is well.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 10:20pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

It is well.
u 4 tell us say . Na comedy instead of research. Ubughu abia vi? Oyo mbubia!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

To correct that sir, I am not taking sides. I don't even know the so called sides. My own is simple. All these groups belong to the same linguistic cluster. Do you disagree?

That might not be entirely true, during my youth service in akwa ibom, I was happy that I was learning some tit bits of ibibo language until I heard an oro man speak, I couldn't pick a word from what he said.

Now I don't know the origin of the alleged mistrust and alleged marginalization between their people, I heard such stories while I was there but I never cared to for that, I loved them all, I enjoyed all the soups, the mfi and the nkop.

Next time you might wana desist from topics such as this...in it's entirety!

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:21pm On Nov 02, 2015
Freemanan:

Poor logic.... Smh...

I have you where I want you- cornered and defensive.

Your evasive reply is self-revealing. Why not counter the points I raised about disunity amongst Igbos? Scared, huh?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 02, 2015
Nothing like sub ethnic group in Igbo. You are either Igbo or not Igbo. Internal frictions are nt caused by sub ethnic group as you mentioned. Nothing like that in any homogeneous Igbo State
TheSonOfMark:

I'd rather not whip the sick horse. IGBOS ANTAGONIZE THEMSELVES A LOT.

It wouldn't serve our common political goal(s) to push the issue but know this, missy: Igbos antagonize themselves. I can list countless examples to lay credence to my claim(s).

Just to prove to you how relatively united Akwaibomites are, here's an example:

The ministerial nominee for Akwaibom State (Udo Udoma) is an IBIBIO MAN but he was endorsed by all ethnic groups in the state.

Contrarily, every ministerial nominee from IGBOS STATES are being antagonized by sub-ethnic groups in each IGBO STATE.

NEED I GO ON?!

Your "IGBOS ARE UNITED" mantra doesn't stand.

Cc: Sweetlemon

7 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:23pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:
u 4 tell us say . Na comedy instead of research. Ubughu abia vi? Oyo mbubia!

cheesy grin

Like a friend on this thread, excel234, earlier said, whatever rocks your boat bro.

I spoke Pidgin and you spoke Ibibio abi na Efik or Oron, I don tire for the matter. Ride on Mr.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

I have you where I want you- cornered and defensive.

Your evasive reply is self-revealing. Why not counter the points I raised about disunity amongst Igbos? Scared, huh?
Good evening mate...

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2015
engrkenny:

That might not be entirely true, during my youth service in akwa ibom, I was happy that I was learning some tit bits of ibibo language until I heard an oro man speak, I couldn't pick a word from what he said.

Now I don't know the origin of the alleged mistrust and alleged marginalization between their people, I heard such stories while I was there but I never cared to for that, I loved them all, I enjoyed all the soups, the mfi and the nkop.

Next time you might wana desist from topics such as this...in it's entirety!

I've learnt my lessons sir. Some people do not appreciate their ethnicity being documented by anyone other than themselves and yet they haven't done so until this moment. smiley

Once again, thanks for being a rational fellow.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by shaboti: 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2015
All I can say is. Thank God im not from there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna" / Fallen 100-Year-Old Tree In Oyo Rises Again, Pulls Crowd (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.