Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,193 members, 7,957,454 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:54 PM

8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries (79015 Views)

Dangote Oil Refinery: Graduate Engineer Trainees Return After Overseas Training / 8 Kinds Of People Every Talented Person Need In Order To Succeed / 8 Categories Of Jobs That Can Frustrate The Life Of Nigeria Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by ariesbull: 12:45pm On Jan 22, 2016
This contraction has been especially severe in heavily-indebted southern European countries such as Spain, Portugal and Greece, where youth unemployment has climbed to record levels, public sector salaries, pensions and welfare payments have been slashed, and widespread defaulting on mortgage repayments has led to a spiralling problem of homelessness.

Inevitably, public anger at the belt-tightening decisions made by politicians has repeatedly spilled out onto the streets. Many European cities have seen large demonstrations over the past five years, with the centres of some cities, especially Athens, Lisbon and Madrid, regularly brought to a halt.

The Spanish capital has often seen different protests in different parts of the city at the same time. On one day, during the making of this film, protestors furious at redundancies at a local television station were vying for the public’s attention with doctors a few streets away who were angry at the privatisation of hospitals.

At the TV demonstration, Carmen Diaz, a newly laid-off employee, was trying to work out what to do next. “We’ll have to go elsewhere. There’s no work, 925 of us lost our jobs – some of us have worked here [for] 15 or 20 years,” she said. A colleague was equally as despairing. “I’m 47, not young,” she said.” Where should I go? Abroad? Into a flat with five-year-old children? It’s upsetting.”

With no immediate prospect of relief in sight, it is perhaps not surprising that hundreds of thousands of Europeans have abandoned their home countries and gone in search of a better life elsewhere.

For some, this is merely a matter of moving elsewhere in Europe – to a country, like Germany, that has survived the downturn in reasonable shape. But others have been forced to go further afield; following in the footsteps of previous European generations driven overseas by the wars, poverty and financial calamities of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.

But what is different about this 21st century wave of migration is the economic standing of many of the countries to which they are heading. In previous centuries, the continent’s economic refugees often sought sanctuary in colonies in Latin America, Asia and Africa, able to take advantage of opportunities and preferential treatment afforded by their supposed status as European migrants.

However, in the intervening years many of these former colonies – having long since become independent and self-reliant – have managed to catch up, and in some cases overtake, the European country to which they were once subject. Spain and Argentina are a case in point. Spain’s economy is currently mired in recession, while the South American country – although not without its own social problems and rising inflation – is enjoying a boom. This reversal of fortunes offers opportunities to Spanish migrants that can no longer be found at home.

Fortunately, Argentina is generally happy to welcome them. Over two-thirds of the population are descended from European stock – although only around four percent are first generation migrants – and there is sympathy for the European influx, especially for those bringing much needed skills. New arrivals need nothing more than their passport and a police certificate as a new law guarantees them the right to healthcare and education and allows them to stay, even if they have no work.

Carlos Blanco is one of those who grabbed the chance to make a new life. For the Spanish chef who lost successive jobs as the restaurants he worked in folded, it was an easy choice to make. And the common language and similar customs have made adjusting to life in Argentina easy.

“You walk around in the centre of Buenos Aires and it’s like being in Spain. I strongly recommend it to anyone struggling there who sees no future prospects. Why not emigrate? You can still go back to where you came from at any time,” Blanco said.

But not all of Europe’s new economic refugees are heading to countries that are a simulacrum of home. While many Portuguese migrants, for example, naturally opt for Brazil because of its thriving oil-rich economy and common language, others are looking to make a home in more unexpected places.

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by ariesbull: 12:49pm On Jan 22, 2016
But what is the problem after consideration ...humiliation or not the bottom line is they are making money

What is dignifying about been broke

Op get a list of life and get busy

To you they are not doing the good job
To them they are paying their bills

So that's the thing

Let em be and stop been a hater ...yea even prostitutions is dignifying depending on the way you look at it
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 22, 2016
Well to summarize my own thoughts on this topic I have to start from my own country smiley Am a Nigerian who studied Economics in the university and now living in Sweden with my family.. What most folks don't know abt countries is the Gini index unlike here in Sweden the Gini index is low which is very acceptably and awesome.. In other sense here we don't have rich men or poor people (yeah we do if you lazy) cos the Gini index is low making a graduate to earn almost the same amount a cleaner or a security guy earns. So to summarize my thougt mehn anything you doing keep doing it well one day God will bless you it doesn't matter the nature of job or country you at but still I would prefer doing cleaning or secriuty job here than working in banks in Nigeria or any financial sectors in Nigeria. Tack

3 Likes

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Evyivy(f): 1:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
ehix89:
I grab....d 1st phrase wasn't necessary u knw
it's the same question u asked
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by sonnie10: 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2016
femiero:

The average wage for the jobs you listed here is $12 per hour. So if they work 10 hours per day, that's $120 per day and an average of $650 per week after taking away taxes. So in a month,the average income is $2300 of which I know Nigerians here in Atlanta that do 14 hours per day.

I know this because I worked in a group home and made $15/hour. I did the night shift because of my classes. Trust me I drive a better car than most of you on this thread and I made more than the average guy in banks or any other person in the telecoms coy.

Convert that money to Naira and tell me how many pple earn that kind of salary.

$15/hr job can not raise a family. Again, for a $12/hr job at 40hrs a week, your take home would not be more than $400. That is $1600 a month.

Now, say you pay rent $600
Car note $200
Car Insurance $150
Health Insurance $100
Feeding $150
Utility bills $100
Phone Bill $50
Toiletries (soap, cream, detergent, tissue paper, deodorants etc) $100
Entertainment (soda, wine, movies, eating out, etc) $50
Salon (Hair cut) $50
Petrol (Gas for your car) $80
Credit card bills (You must build credit) $100

Total $1730.

Please how do you balance this budget of $1730 from a $1600 salary?

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by wristbangle: 2:23pm On Jan 22, 2016
engrkenny:

What is your own job exactly??

I am job searching egbon. crycry
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Monalisa185(f): 2:32pm On Jan 22, 2016
wristbangle:

Lol. Anyway it is still a bit better than political thugs and those agitating for another country.
yeah, all of them follow na
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by martinosi: 2:34pm On Jan 22, 2016
HungerBAD:
Aside the Drug Pushing and Prostitution, i see nothing bad.

The other Jobs are totally Legit, and as long as it is an Honest Job and pays the Bills, i see nothing wrong with it. To the OP, have you lived outside Nigeria?i am assuming no, and that is why you came out with this list.

Life Outside Nigeria is not the Bed Of Roses, people portray it to be. If you have lived outside Nigeria, and you are being picky with work, especially if you are "SQUATTING" somewhere, then in a short time you will find yourself homeless and foodless.

You work because you have bills to pay. More over, some of the Jobs on your list are actually high paying Jobs, like the Mortician and the Security Job, especially if you are employed by a High Profile Company.

Your mentality is exactly why there are plenty of unemployed graduates in Nigeria, as they are always picky and choosy with what they want, while squatting somewhere eating free food, and coming to the pages of Nairaland to complain how their hosts/Brother/Sister/In law and friend is treating them because they are Jobless.

You hit the nail on the head... Great Post Response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by martinosi: 2:42pm On Jan 22, 2016
Griffon:
It's not like we're doing anything stellar to survive in Nigeria either.

Same country where graduates are forced to settle for stipends as salaries and where skilled professionals are forced to work outside the course of their study only to have ends meet.

That's more annoying.

True Talk!!!
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by martinosi: 2:44pm On Jan 22, 2016
wristbangle:

So the news about Nigerians working in mortuary is false? Does that mean people spreading this information are lying?

Anyway what about the other listed points brother?

And By the Way the Burial/Funeral Service operators are among the upper Middle Class Abroad...They
have money..its not cheap doing burials...
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by martinosi: 2:45pm On Jan 22, 2016
melvinjames:
When they send you money from Yankee refuse it because they got the money doing menial job. SMH!!

True-Talk!
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 22, 2016
wristbangle:

I am job searching egbon. crycry

I sincerely pray you don't have to settle for a "more than annoying" job, because fact is someone has to do it.
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Ugosample(m): 3:24pm On Jan 22, 2016
elisbabs499:
I Totally disagree wit num 1 and 2. Infact it is a lie. Nigeria Phd Holder Can Never B A Cleaner Abroad Nt To Talk Of A Prof As A Security, U Cannot Become A Prof Without Being In Academic Field And There Is No Way U Will Leave Lecturing Job In Nigeria Especially A Prof Dat Receive Over 700,000 per month and opt for a security job abroad. Also note dis, "poor man no dey do phd" dia is no way u can finish ur phd without spending close to 3 million naira, how will someone dat can afford such money end up as a cleaner? Infact they respect nigeria certificate abroad, cuz i know of many people dat are visiting lecturers abroad.

They respect Nigerian certificate? Lol !!!! ROTF ROTF chai.

Somebody pour me got water.

lol
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by mikolo80: 3:59pm On Jan 22, 2016
wristbangle:
The rush for greener pasture has becloud the vision of Nigeria Graduates to the extent that most believe nothing good can happen owing to the deplorable state of the country's economy.

As a result of negative economic situation, some have travelled to the overseas in search for good jobs but it's unfortunate that they eventually secure shameful occupation which they can't even wish for their enemy to do.

Therefore, 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries

1. Cleaner

It's so demoralising to see a PHD holder cleaning toilets, streets, floor of hotels, bars and offices. No matter how terrible Nigeria economy is, a graduate of such calibre cannot even think for once in picking such jobs in this county except if his/her village witches are at work.

20 to 30 k dollars a year (6 to 9 million a year)

2. Security guard

10 to 40 k a year (2 to 12 million naira a year)

I have heard cases of professors in Nigeria University been employed as security guard in overseas countries because his quality of education and expertise cannot even match the skills an employer is looking for. What could be so agonising to see your celebrated professor as puppet in another country?

3. Washing dead bodies

30 to 60 k (9 to 18 million yearly)

It's rather an insult upon injury to see a Graduate of this country washing dead body in another man's land to make end meets. The most annoying thing they claim to be working as forensic officer but what happens when they contact a deadly disease during the occupation, of course prophet T.B joshua will be at their rescue.

4. Prostitution

up to 100 k if you fine (over 20 million yearly

I don't know why some ladies who are graduates has completely lost self esteem and integrity hereby resorting to prostitution career when they travel to overseas. This is a common act in countries like Italy and Brazil where they have sex with all sort of men, dog, horse and monkey in order to make money. I am sure that people must have heard the story of a female Nigeria celebrity who did this act. I pity the guy that will marry her.

5. House maid

up to 30 k yearly (9 million naira)

I believe that the highest qualification to select a house maid suppose to be someone with O level certificate but the case is different in overseas countries where some Nigeria graduate make mockery of their selves to work as house help.

6. Refuse and Sewage packer

40 to 60 k (12 to 18 million)

Honestly speaking I pity the life of refuse and sewage workers because they are marred with poor health condition which is as a result of the bad stench oozing from the waste. Let's be frank here, can a white man work as sewage worker in Nigeria? Abi no be the same brain God give us?

7. Drug smuggler

no comment

Smuggling cocaine, hemp, marijuana and other hard drugs is not a legitimate occupation and it can never be. Greed and desperation to become wealthy fast has ruin the destiny of so many Nigeria Graduates whereby some have rot in jail while others has received death penalty.

8. Undertaker

see dead body washers above

There is dignity in when a graduate of this country patiently build his/her career at expense of picking a job that will never add value to his resume. Imagine a graduate working as undertaker (lifting corpse in coffin) at overseas countries because of the money attached. Is that life?

You can also add yours

there is dignity in labor
it's only in Nigeria a graduate will be knotting tie on sandals to collect 8 k per month while okada sides is making us to 3 to 4 k daily (90 to 120 k)
pride they say goes before a fall.
and all these mockery graduates abroad will build mega homes while you remain here wishing you get visa

3 Likes

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by femiero: 4:01pm On Jan 22, 2016
sonnie10:

$15/hr job can not raise a family. Again, for a $12/hr job at 40hrs a week, your take home would not be more than $400. That is $1600 a month.

Car note $200
Car Insurance $150
Health Insurance $85
Feeding $150
Utility bills $100
Phone Bill $50
Salon (Hair cut) $50

Total $1730.

This is how people kill themselves with debt once they start living abroad.
Point of correction, on a regular 8-hour shift 6 days a week, you get 48 working hours and nothing stops you from taking extra shifts (I work Sundays and holidays at times)
Now let me give you a factual picture of my monthly expenses

Rent $575 (+ utilities)
Car note $0 (I didn't buy my car with a loan)
Car Insurance $67.23
Health Insurance $98
Feeding $150
Utility bills $0 (included in my rent)
Phone Bill $50.11 (StraightTalk)
Salon (Hair cut) $12
Credit card bills (You must build credit) $0 (I don't spend the money I don't have, I only put my phone bill on my credit card)

That's an average of $1200 per month compared to the average $2,600 I get after taxes (48 hours X $15).
As a Nigerian, the credit culture wasn't built in us from the get go, though this is a modest personal budget, it gives me quality existence than the guy that goes from mainland to V.I everyday from 4:30 am to 11:00pm everyday.....
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by ehix89(m): 4:12pm On Jan 22, 2016
Evyivy:
it's the same question u asked
its ok,hope u hving a nice day
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by mikolo80: 4:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
wristbangle:

Bros, I quite agree with you but doing such job for a long time is not something I will recommend for because some of our graduates possess complacent attitude hence the drive to clinch career development dwindles.

no be moni you wan take the career make
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Tochaigh: 4:22pm On Jan 22, 2016
wristbangle:
The rush for greener pasture has becloud the vision of Nigeria Graduates to the extent that most believe nothing good can happen owing to the deplorable state of the country's economy.

As a result of negative economic situation, some have travelled to the overseas in search for good jobs but it's unfortunate that they eventually secure shameful occupation which they can't even wish for their enemy to do.

Therefore, 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries

1. Cleaner

It's so demoralising to see a PHD holder cleaning toilets, streets, floor of hotels, bars and offices. No matter how terrible Nigeria economy is, a graduate of such calibre cannot even think for once in picking such jobs in this county except if his/her village witches are at work.

2. Security guard

I have heard cases of professors in Nigeria University been employed as security guard in overseas countries because his quality of education and expertise cannot even match the skills an employer is looking for. What could be so agonising to see your celebrated professor as puppet in another country?

3. Washing dead bodies

It's rather an insult upon injury to see a Graduate of this country washing dead body in another man's land to make end meets. The most annoying thing they claim to be working as forensic officer but what happens when they contact a deadly disease during the occupation, of course prophet T.B joshua will be at their rescue.

4. Prostitution

I don't know why some ladies who are graduates has completely lost self esteem and integrity hereby resorting to prostitution career when they travel to overseas. This is a common act in countries like Italy and Brazil where they have sex with all sort of men, dog, horse and monkey in order to make money. I am sure that people must have heard the story of a female Nigeria celebrity who did this act. I pity the guy that will marry her.

5. House maid

I believe that the highest qualification to select a house maid suppose to be someone with O level certificate but the case is different in overseas countries where some Nigeria graduate make mockery of their selves to work as house help.

Honestly speaking I pity the life of refuse and sewage workers because they are marred with poor health condition which is as a result of the bad stench oozing from the waste. Let's be frank here, can a white man work as sewage worker in Nigeria? Abi no be the same brain God give us?

7. Drug smuggler

Smuggling cocaine, hemp, marijuana and other hard drugs is not a legitimate occupation and it can never be. Greed and desperation to become wealthy fast has ruin the destiny of so many Nigeria Graduates whereby some have rot in jail while others has received death penalty.

8. Undertaker

There is dignity in when a graduate of this country patiently build his/her career at expense of picking a job that will never add value to his resume. Imagine a graduate working as undertaker (lifting corpse in coffin) at overseas countries because of the money attached. Is that life?

You can also add yours

Do you know what the minimum wage for legal jobs is in the US? $7.5 per hour.

Even banking Job don't pay up to that in Nigeria.

Annoying or not, the money justifies the means for most people. What's your headache with that?

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by oc2fish: 4:22pm On Jan 22, 2016
It takes 6 years of study after B.Sc to get a PhD. I am sure that none will ever clean tolets abroad. Infact PhD holder will never go to such extent. To be
come a Professor in Nigeria it takes 15 years of teaching/ lecturing experience in a University i believe such will never work as a security person out side Nigeria.

I am sure the OP dont know what a PhD is and the process of becoming a Professor of a field if study.
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by sonnie10: 4:33pm On Jan 22, 2016
femiero:

This is how people kill themselves with debt once they start living abroad.
Point of correction, on a regular 8-hour shift 6 days a week, you get 48 working hours and nothing stops you from taking extra shifts (I work Sundays and holidays at times)
Now let me give you a factual picture of my monthly expenses

Rent $575 (+ utilities)
Car note $0 (I didn't buy my car with a loan)
Car Insurance $67.23
Health Insurance $98
Feeding $150
Utility bills $0 (included in my rent)
Phone Bill $50.11 (StraightTalk)
Salon (Hair cut) $12
Credit card bills (You must build credit) $0 (I don't spend the money I don't have, I only put my phone bill on my credit card)

That's an average of $1200 per month compared to the average $2,600 I get after taxes (48 hours X $15).
As a Nigerian, the credit culture wasn't built in us from the get go, though this is a modest personal budget, it gives me quality existence than the guy that goes from mainland to V.I everyday from 4:30 am to 11:00pm everyday.....

Lets say the truth here;

Rent $575 (+ utilities)....................... With $575, your landlord pays the water, gas, electricity and then the actual rent, that must be a basement room.
Car note $0 (I didn't buy my car with a loan)....... if you are able to save and buy a car from that salary, then it must be an old car with frequent maintenance.
Car Insurance $67.23..................... Then you don't have comprehensive insurance. Good luck and drive carefully.
Health Insurance $98 ................. Ok
Feeding $150........This is $5 a day (That is about $1.5 a meal, which can not buy you a piece burger let a lone a decent meal)
Utility bills $0 (included in my rent) ......Don't you have internet and TV?
Phone Bill $50.11 (StraightTalk). ...........Do you get unlimited text and talk? The answer is no.
Toiletries (soap, cream, detergent, tissue paper, deodorants etc) $100. ......... Ok fair enough
Entertainment (soda, wine, movies, eating out, etc) $50 ................... A soda or bottle water is $1.5, is that all you do ($1.5 x 30 = $45)?
Salon (Hair cut) $12 ...............This is crazy, you barb you hair only once a month?
Petrol (Gas for your car) $80..................Ok , just because gas is down now.

How about the following;

Clothing, shoes,
offering and tithe
Car serving
shoes
Lunch at work
Parking
Laundry?

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 22, 2016
over there is dignity of labour.every job is important.you risk a law suit if you dare look down on anothers job. your views are way out of it.that is what has killed this country.our public toilets are no go areas,streets are dirty,all because we don't see them as jobs. besides, i don't know how a prof will just be starting a job of that after working that long to be one.it's not just logical.
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by ariesbull: 4:52pm On Jan 22, 2016
Ct
sonnie10:

Car note $200
Car Insurance $150
Health Insurance $100
Feeding $150
Utility bills $100
Phone Bill $50
Salon (Hair cut) $50

Total $1730.

This is what they won't tell you ..a lot of people sleep in trailer park and in western world that place is pretty hard and I just don't like the idea if making it look as if its all rosy...bros I have been around and I have seen a lot of naija peeps suffer

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by bbdd: 5:41pm On Jan 22, 2016
vhickky:
lolzz....... You are very funny...... Why would I sleep in the embassy, just because I want to travel out to slave in another man's Country? ....... To me wealth is not all about money, but happiness, comfortability and being around the people that loves me and I love..... I will never travel out to do silly jobs....... I will only travel out for sight seeing and vacation, I will stay here in Nigeria and make it.......... I believe I have all it takes to survive, make it and be happy here in Nigeria....

I can see you're making it...Hahaha .. Clown

So Nigeria is comfortable? Do you have a good job now? Who gave you assurance that you'll make it in Nigeria?

Stop spitting on people's hustles and work on your own. Whatever the Bleep they do for a living is none of your business.
Ive seen your type before. Come online to say rubbish deep down you wish to get the Bleep out of naija'

DONT BOTHER QUOTING OR REPLYING THIS.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Walexsammy(m): 5:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
Ibime:

I have never known of a Nigerian or any foreigner working in a mortuary in all my years in the UK.

Working in mortuary is actually a highly paid job and the English undertakers tend not to allow foreigners into those jobs.

It is usually a family affair eg Fisher & sons undertakers since 1886 - and usually only family members will work there.

I have been to at least 10-15 funerals and never seen anyone but English natives bring in and take out the corpse.
don't mind maany pple on this forum, they only judge and decide based on rumour. no 1st hand experience

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Maikey: 6:48pm On Jan 22, 2016
Big ups to NLanders who have kept 'Mr Ignorance Personified' in his right place...

Dignity in Labour...simple!

2 Likes

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by bbdd: 8:38pm On Jan 22, 2016
ariesbull:
Ct

This is what they won't tell you ..a lot of people sleep in trailer park and in western world that place is pretty hard and I just don't like the idea if making it look as if its all rosy...bros I have been around and I have seen a lot of naija peeps suffer

And if you've truly been around as you claim you must also know there are lots of Nigerians making it big too. Especially in North America especially the US.
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 22, 2016
wristbangle:

1. Cleaner

2. Security guard

3. Washing dead bodies

4. Prostitution

5. House maid

7. Drug smuggler

8. Undertaker

You can also add yours

Daretodiffer note.....
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by femiero: 10:37pm On Jan 22, 2016
Lol. I feel you my brother. Things are not as crazy asb you are painting it. It may suprise you that I drive a 2012 model of a Ford and I cut my hair once a month because na gorimapa be my style.

Talking about rents and utilities I snapped a page of today's newspaper for you to see. Take not of the 2nd one on the list.

my phone contract gives me unlimited call and text and I don't exhaust my data despite all the youtubing. I attached a picture for that too.

Burger no be my native food so I stock my house from the African store and county market near me. So I cook even though I'm not a big eater.

Do I have to buy clothes and shoes every month?
About TV and Internet, it's either I'm in sch or at work so you know the way it is. Internet is the most common thing here.

The key word here is conservation. After school, better job go come.

sonnie10:

Lets say the truth here;

Rent $575 (+ utilities)....................... With $575, your landlord pays the water, gas, electricity and then the actual rent, that must be a basement room.
Car note $0 (I didn't buy my car with a loan)....... if you are able to save and buy a car from that salary, then it must be an old car with frequent maintenance.
Car Insurance $67.23..................... Then you don't have comprehensive insurance. Good luck and drive carefully.
Health Insurance $98 ................. Ok
Feeding $150........This is $5 a day (That is about $1.5 a meal, which can not buy you a piece burger let a lone a decent meal)
Utility bills $0 (included in my rent) ......Don't you have internet and TV?
Phone Bill $50.11 (StraightTalk). ...........Do you get unlimited text and talk? The answer is no.
Toiletries (soap, cream, detergent, tissue paper, deodorants etc) $100. ......... Ok fair enough
Entertainment (soda, wine, movies, eating out, etc) $50 ................... A soda or bottle water is $1.5, is that all you do ($1.5 x 30 = $45)?
Salon (Hair cut) $12 ...............This is crazy, you barb you hair only once a month?
Petrol (Gas for your car) $80..................Ok , just because gas is down now.

How about the following;

Clothing, shoes,
offering and tithe
Car serving
shoes
Lunch at work
Parking
Laundry?

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by sevule(m): 11:25pm On Jan 22, 2016
femiero:
Lol. I feel you my brother. Things are not as crazy asb you are painting it. It may suprise you that I drive a 2012 model of a Ford and I cut my hair once a month because na gorimapa be my style.

Talking about rents and utilities I snapped a page of today's newspaper for you to see. Take not of the 2nd one on the list.

my phone contract gives me unlimited call and text and I don't exhaust my data despite all the youtubing. I attached a picture for that too.

Burger no be my native food so I stock my house from the African store and county market near me. So I cook even though I'm not a big eater.

Do I have to buy clothes and shoes every month?
About TV and Internet, it's either I'm in sch or at work so you know the way it is. Internet is the most common thing here.

The key word here is conservation. After school, better job go come.

Femiero!! Femiero!! I was pretty impressed when I saw your rebuttal. Whenever people say that you can work in the US for 20 years and have no savings The great thing about staying in the US is that if you are level headed and not carried away with frivolities you can save at least $1000 monthly (which is almost more than my salary when I was in naija).

And the great thing about the States is the fact that there are deals everywhere if you only know wherre to look. For example my credit card company gives me 1% cashback for every dollar I spend! So if I spend about $15,000 a year, I get $150 back for free! And I don't even get charged by the credit card company cos I pay off the card on time. And you can always get amazing deals on clothing, electronics and stuff on Ebay

@Femiero - check out H2OWireless. I pay $36 a month as my phone bill and I get unlimited text, calls and data. And they even give me $20 every month for free to call Nigerian and international numbers!

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by EreluY(f): 11:26pm On Jan 22, 2016
Omotayor123:

I love the way you argue your point. But the way you ended it renders me speechless.. Haba! cry

Sorry fellow NLder.
Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by bbdd: 12:06am On Jan 23, 2016
sevule:

Femiero!! Femiero!! I was pretty impressed when I saw your rebuttal. Whenever people say that you can work in the US for 20 years and have no savings The great thing about staying in the US is that if you are level headed and not carried away with frivolities you can save at least $1000 monthly (which is almost more than my salary when I was in naija).

And the great thing about the States is the fact that there are deals everywhere if you only know wherre to look. For example my credit card company gives me 1% cashback for every dollar I spend! So if I spend about $15,000 a year, I get $150 back for free! And I don't even get charged by the credit card company cos I pay off the card on time. And you can always get amazing deals on clothing, electronics and stuff on Ebay

@Femiero - check out H2OWireless. I pay $36 a month as my phone bill and I get unlimited text, calls and data. And they even give me $20 every month for free to call Nigerian and international numbers!

Well said. Ultra mobile is another good alternative. $29 Unlimited call, text, intl calls to naija
It seems the OP of this thread used "newspaper joint gist" to start a nairaland thread. LOL

1 Like

Re: 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries by femiero: 12:35am On Jan 23, 2016
sevule:

bbdd:

Well said. Ultra mobile is another good alternative. $29 Unlimited call, text, intl calls to naija
It seems the OP of this thread used "newspaper joint gist" to start a nairaland thread. LOL

Thanks guys. I will check them out. The money saved on it will go into extra 10kg of poundo yam. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigeria's First Females Army General And Naval Rear Admiral / This Lady Was Fired For Being Too Pretty In London (Photos) / Debby Johnson: Nigerian Lady In The US Army (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.