Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,047 members, 7,810,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU (21939 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by tempem: 11:35pm On Mar 05, 2016
tosyne2much:
Sir, I have been reading your comments and I must say that you are indeed a scholar

I like when people argue with logics and that's what you have been doing
The part where he nailed the difference in Government's GL and multinationals' was awesome...
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by tempem: 11:39pm On Mar 05, 2016
Oautemitayo ... You did a great job. . I love your references arrangement.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by tosyne2much(m): 11:39pm On Mar 05, 2016
ehisdan:
Ok Sir
I'm so loving the argument but make it logical with concrete evidence to back up your points

Good luck bro !
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by tosyne2much(m): 11:42pm On Mar 05, 2016
tempem:

The part where he nailed the difference in Government's GL and multinationals' was awesome...
As in ehn... The bros is very intelligent
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by ehisdan(m): 11:45pm On Mar 05, 2016
tosyne2much:
I'm so loving the argument but make it logical with concrete evidence to back up your points

Good luck bro !
Yes sir @team OAU
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by daveP(m): 11:51pm On Mar 05, 2016
I just feel the Polytechnics need more hype than they are currently enjoying, no doubt.

The underrating isnt helping the status of our techworld in Nigeria!!

Forget o, have you heard of 'coded bribery'? No one can be assumed to be outside the set, but still a part of the universal set just like that, or based on their status.

Some Fallacies ruined some good points though. Learned alot too.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Aroh48(m): 12:43am On Mar 06, 2016
tosyne2much:
Of course there is bro... Banky W bagged a Bsc from a polytechnic in UK or so
If so,why is our own differend.why is everything in Nigeria going negatively?Fuel is bought at a cheaper rate in outside Nigeria,oil price have dropped drastically,but in naija,the opposite is the case.according to Donald trump,Nigeria needs more 100yrs to colonise again.I think this country is cursed.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Bakare19: 2:00am On Mar 06, 2016
nice job from emaculate99 and OAUTemitayo. You guys are spot on. And I especially love the way you marshalled your points, backed with correct references. You've won this...
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Bakare19: 2:01am On Mar 06, 2016
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by OAUTemitayo: 2:04am On Mar 06, 2016
Bakare19:
nice job from emaculate99 and OAUTemitayo. You guys are spot on. And I especially love the way you marshalled your points, backed with correct references. You've won this...
Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by OAUTemitayo: 2:05am On Mar 06, 2016
tempem:
Oautemitayo ... You did a great job. . I love your references arrangement.
Thank you sir
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by OAUTemitayo: 2:06am On Mar 06, 2016
tosyne2much:
I bow for your intelligence bro

Keep up the good work cool
Thank you sir.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Jusome: 5:40am On Mar 06, 2016
the only way.GOVERNMT CN EQUAT HND N BSC is to use NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE TO RECRUIT INTO LEVEL 8 while they use discipline of study to do POSTING were ur field of study is required...example HND ELECTRICAL ENG. has NYSC cert...and BSc ELECTRICAL ENG has NYSC cert so the two certicate are IN equilibrium at NYSC CERT there Governmt should say that if u av NYSC CERT U WIL BE RECRUITED INTO.LEVEL 8 but we use.ur course of study to.knw if u wil be posted to Accountng departmt or Engineering departmt...then dos wit no nysc cert av d opportunity of avng EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE...so wht are we nt saying..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Cutehector(m): 6:10am On Mar 06, 2016
tosyne2much:
You sef suppose don know Nigeria... In Nigeria, discrimination is now our tradition. We do anything to bring down the entity of others just to uplift ours

Do you know that Bscs are not even equivalent in Nigeria?.. A Bsc holder from OOU may even be discriminated against his Bsc counterpart from Babcock or Unilag... All I know is that a Bsc holder who feels he's superior to an HND holder will also experience discrimination whether by a person with a better result or reputable institution. *nobody is exempted from discrimination as far as Nigeria is concerned

For Naija, person wey dey use Sienna go discriminate person wey dey use Toyota

Person wey dey wear boutique go discriminate person wey dey wear okrika cheesy

Person wey get big joystick go discriminate person wey get small joystick

Person wey dey Covenant uni go discriminate person wey dey Ekiti State Uni

May God help us
I think the disparity BTW these grade of degrees has to stop. Tosin vote for me for president grin all Ekiti alumni will enta government wink
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by emaculate99: 6:52am On Mar 06, 2016
Bakare19:
Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 7:28am On Mar 06, 2016
I am very sorry i kept you all waiting i was indisposed.

Expect the results by 8am.

Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by grimandevil: 7:28am On Mar 06, 2016
# grabs seat
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 06, 2016
Forget this genotype talk, nothing is as painful as the love of Ur life telling U she can't marry U cos u're a
POLYTECHNIC graduate.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Taeewo(m): 7:48am On Mar 06, 2016
Ffg
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by ify2016: 7:53am On Mar 06, 2016
[quote author=emaculate99 post=43511033]EQUATING HND WITH BSC: A PANACEA TO TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT / INNOVATIVE IDEAS

NAME: Emaculate Ife representing OAU,

Position: Support.

My brother got a call to help a friend get a job for his niece. Upon seeing her CV, he found out that she is an HND holder. It is however a policy in his company to employ BSc only. He felt bad for this girl because she opted in for polytechnic education due to her family’s financial constraint. She now sells foodstuff in the market due to the employment discrimination in the country.

Constitutionally, equality is a necessary principle which cannot be extinguished by the same law that prescribes it unless it is a “utopian fantasy whose hopeless pursuit” would lead to “tyranny.” It is no news that the discrimination between BSc and HND holders is becoming worse each day as companies prefer BSc to HND even if the latter is more skilled than the former. They believe in certification as against the equal employment opportunity advocated by the constitution of Nigeria. But what will happen if skilled graduates are shut from employment as a result of certification? Technological advancement or technological adversity? You choose.

Moreover, is certificate the basis of innovative idea or improvement in technology? It is barbaric to put HND below BSc because of a mere certificate. Innovative idea is a no respecter of certificate. Anyone can have innovative idea that can move the country forward technologically. If certificate is the basis of innovative idea, there should be no Microsoft and Nairaland today. You know both founders are dropped out, right?

Furthermore, the core policy of Nigeria of evolving into a technological based country is on the ruin as the discrimination against HND holders has continue to wear an ugly look. It is no news that findings have proved that some polytechnic students are in some cases far better than their university counterparts on the field (Sammyscholar, a representative of Polytechnic of Ibadan, is a perfect example). If this is the case, why do the government and private individual put BSC holders ahead of HND holders without recourse to their skills and ability? Is that not a poison to the realisation of the nation’s technological development? Someone like Sammyscholar would be deprived a job because a company’s policy cannot employ a HND holder when in the real sense, if he should be given an equal opportunity to compete with the graduates, he will compete with them favourably.

In addition to that, the HND holders upon getting job are treated with ultimate distaste and inequality as regard to the salary grade level (HND: GL 07 & BSc: GL 08); security personnel: BSc (commissioned) while HND (non-commissioned); promotion of the BSc is unlimited while the peak promotion for HND is GL 12. HND holders are mostly kept as slave workers as against the status of BSc holders. This is evidently shown in Banking/ financial sector where HND holders are treated cheaply because of their degree. Can any innovative idea come out from someone who has been battered psychologically with the ugly treatment he is going through? I doubt it.

Come to think of it, international companies in the country and companies in advanced countries have no time for certification discrimination. Their employment is based on meritocracy and not mediocrity as the case is in Nigeria. This is a reason for their technological advancement. If Nigeria wants to advance, it must take a clue from this set of people.

Nigeria is so much interested in curbing criminal activities and unemployment; yet it operates in such a way that criminal activities and unemployment rate will escalate. Giving out policies that do not allow for the employment of HND or making them a second class employees will not only make them indulge in criminal activities, it will also increase the unemployment rate in the country. And this will not avail them opportunity to give out their well-thought ideas which can help move the country forward technologically. This will also reduce the pressure mount on universities for admission.

Polytechnic students are mainly trained to be practically relevant in their field. They are trained on how to do things in their field, while university students are trained to research into why something is done in a field. Ideally, the two are to work hand in hand for the development of the society as “practice without theory is blind and theory without practice is sterile.” Giving prominence to theory means that no productive idea will materialise, however, putting both practice and theory together will advance Nigeria creatively and technologically. Theory and Practice can only work together if both of them are given equal recognition.

Can someone who has passion for Art class be forced into science class and cope well and vice-versa? How do you want graduates to cope when in the real sense they were forced into university because of the discrimination and mentality of the citizenry?

Someone who has passion for polytechnic can only cope and deliver better if schooled in a polytechnic. This is the case in other advanced countries but it is not the same in Nigeria as polytechnic materials are forced into universities as a result of the discrimination in the labour market.

Taking cognisance of the aforementioned and the current situation of Nigeria, I believe you will throw your full support behind me that equating BSc with HND will bring about technological advancement in the country.

REFERENCE:

BSc vs HND in Nigeria
www.uniuyoinfo.com/bsc-vs-hnd-in-nigeria/

A perspective on the discrimination against Nigerian HND holders by Christian Dimkpa
www.gamji.com/article5000/news5935.htm

Aregebsola Denies HND holders recruitment into Osun civil service
www.infomationng.com/2012/12/aregbesola-denies-hnd-holders-recruitment-into-osun-civil-service.htm

Ending BSc and HND dichotomy
www.thenationonlineng.net/ending-bsc-and-hnd-dichotomy/

HND and BSc discrimination, part of Nigerian’s major problem
www.nigeriamasterweb.com/Masterweb/MasterwebMobileNews.php?rss_id=OTM=

1999 constitution of Nigeria, 2011 as amended

[/quote
The reason why I clicked on like was not because of your point rather due to the love I have for Federal Universities. B.sc still remains the best.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 8:01am On Mar 06, 2016
Fynestboi:
I am very sorry i kept you all waiting i was indisposed.

Expect the results by 8am.

Thanks.

[size=18pt]RESULT LOADING [/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 8:04am On Mar 06, 2016
[size=15pt]JUDGE X
[/size]
JoeJonah
Presentation 2.5
Logic 3
Strength 3
Persuasiveness 3.5
Knowledge 3.5
Rebuttals 2.5
TOTAL 18

Ehisdan
Presentation 3
Logic 3
Strength 3
Persuasiveness 3
Knowledge 3
Rebuttals 2.5
TOTAL 17.5

TOTAL: 35.5

OAUTemitayo
Presentation 4
Logic 4
Strength 4
Persuasiveness 4.5
Knowledge 4
Rebuttals 3
TOTAL 23.5

Emaculate99
Presentation 4.5
Logic 4
Strength 4
Persuasiveness 5
Knowledge 4.5
Rebuttals 4
TOTAL 26

TOTAL: 49.5

AUCHI POLYTECHNIC 23.5

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY: 49.5

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by sauceEEP(m): 8:14am On Mar 06, 2016
OAU guys
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 8:15am On Mar 06, 2016
cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 8:16am On Mar 06, 2016
JUDGE Y

OAUTemitayo-
Presentation-4
LOA-3
Strength of Facts-3
Demonstration of knowledge-3
Rebuttals-4
Persuasiveness 4

TOTAL: 21

Emaculate99
Presentation-4
LOA-4
Strength of Facts-4
Demonstration of Knowledge-5
Rebuttals-4
Persuasiveness 4

TOTAL: 25

AUCHI POLYTECHNIC
Joejonah
Presentation-3
LOA-4
Strength of Facts-3
Demonstration of Knowledge-4
Persuasiveness-4
Rebuttals-4

. TOTAL: 22

EHISDAN

Presentation-4
LOA-3
Strength of Facts 3
Demonstration of knowledge 2
Persuasiveness 2
Rebuttals 3

TOTAL: 17

[size=15pt]OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY: 46

AUCHI POLYTECHNIC: 39

[/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 8:18am On Mar 06, 2016
JUDGE Z

Great debate and rebuttals. I am impressed.
You all did well but Ehisdan, you need to work on your punctuations. Bad punctuations made your argument less interesting.

My Judgement

JoeJonah:
Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,)----3.5 points

Logic of arguments--- 3 points

Strength of facts, examples, cases.---3 points

Persuasiveness----4 points

Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject----4 points

Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience----3.5 points.

Total: 21 points

Ehisden:

Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,)---- 2 points

Persuasiveness----3.5 points

Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience----3.5 points.

Total: 19 points

OAUTemitayo:

Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,)----4 points

Logic of arguments--- 3.5 points

Strength of facts, examples, cases.---3.5 points

Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject----5 points

Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience----4 points.

Total: 24 points

Emaculate99:

Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,)----3.5

Total: 21 points

Organisers, you guys are superb...

Good morning.

[size=18pt]OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY: 45

AUCHI POLYTECHNIC: 40[/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 8:21am On Mar 06, 2016
GRAND TOTAL

AUCHI POLYTECHNIC: 102.5

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY: 140.5

Sequel to the above, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY IS HEREBY Declare the winner.

Congratulations..
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Fynestboi: 8:24am On Mar 06, 2016
Best debater:

Emaculate99..
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by OAUTemitayo: 8:28am On Mar 06, 2016
Fynestboi:
Best debater:

Emaculate99..
That's my boss
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by emaculate99: 8:31am On Mar 06, 2016
Fynestboi:
Best debater:

Emaculate99..
Wow! Really? I am privileged.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by emaculate99: 8:31am On Mar 06, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
That's my boss
You are the boss.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU by Guzzy3140: 9:43am On Mar 06, 2016
tosyne2much:
How did you come into such a myopic assertion?
may be that is been practice in his skul

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Herd Of Cattle Invade Kogi State University (Photos) / See What Delsu Student Did To This Young Final Year Graduate Yesterday (photos) / School Proprietor Accused Of Flinging Pupils Out Of School Bus In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.