Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,571 members, 7,840,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination (22132 Views)

Flood Displaces Residents In Owerri After 12-Hour Rain (Photos) / Osinbajo Condemns Coup In Cote D’ivoire Amid Similar Fears In Nigeria / Jonathan Goes On Exile In Cote D’Ivoire, Militants Move To Shutdown Oil Output (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by remmydada(m): 8:51pm On Mar 18, 2016
kossyablaze:
Body Odour everywhere!....I regret voting this brainless dullard!Pls forgive me wailers! I was naïve and brainwashed.My eyes don clear now

a day is coming that you will eat your words

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by kossyablaze(m): 8:54pm On Mar 18, 2016
remmydada:

a day is coming that you will eat your words
I await dat day.Buhari is Brain dead.I don't av prop with APC o!I av prob with Bubu

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by kossyablaze(m): 8:54pm On Mar 18, 2016
247notire:
See eh, ask anyone around you how to get to medina estate. It's like the most popular estate in gbagada phase 1. Look for one of my obscure posts and quote me with ur phone number let's talk. It's a cool night to hang out...
Seen the number?
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by ValerianSteel(m): 8:56pm On Mar 18, 2016
An economic recession may surface in Nigeria soon.

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by aloeman15(m): 9:01pm On Mar 18, 2016
Chukazu:

guy. true federalism has got nothing to do with FDI.
so what happened in the years that WE were top Of FDI and still had no true federalism?

what happened to countries like Egypt that you mentioned, who had state of emergency in it constitution and still made billions from FDI?
THE issue of economic fundamentals and less of constitutional matter like true federalism
The very reason why we haven't been able to diversify is because we're not practising federalism. States had no reason to develop their assets because of oil money. All diversified economies have withstood the downturn much better than we have. More importantly, osun state would have more than 6m for february- because her assets would have been generating revenue, long before the oil slump and would use the slump to showcase it's current and future exports for potential investors, both local and foreign.
Do you see the connection between fdi and federalism?

And i was referring to israel's slavery under egypt. Moses, remember?
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by sheubaba2013: 9:02pm On Mar 18, 2016
What's my own? Gerourofhere jo. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Theophrastus(m): 9:25pm On Mar 18, 2016
No wonder! Terrorist attack in Ivory Coast to scare away investors back to Nigeria.

#BokoHaram is a political tool in africa.
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Pavarottii(m): 9:39pm On Mar 18, 2016
flokii:

you sir.. should be ashamed of ursef

so your prayer is for this country to degenerate.. all cos of ur "tribal bias" and hatred towards Buhari..

better sit down and think... Nigeria will move forward regardless of what any pessimist feels
It will move forward in the context of time, but with buhari. I av not yet seen any indication we will move forward. Our economy grew at 2.8% in 2015. From 7% in 2014. Inflation is alll time high of 11.8%. NSE from about 20billion dollars to about 9billion dollars. Budget that shows no sign from diversification! Still allocating money to lookk for oil in Chad. No single project staarted or continued.

My brother God will not come down and help us. We will do it ourselves.
Don't lie to urself. Lemme ask u again. Are we moving forward?

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by belloazed(m): 9:41pm On Mar 18, 2016
For where after the latest terror attacks nko let see whats happens grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Dragonking: 9:43pm On Mar 18, 2016
wristbangle:
The reason why ivory coast displayed Nigeria is because of stability in government, full power supply, zero tolerance for corruption and focus on agriculture.

This is not about buhari affairs alone. It's about the failed system of government from the 80's.

I hope Nigeria diversify quickly to other non sectors hence provide employment for youths and fix epileptic power supply to encourage investors.

Nobody wants to be spending on diesel for power generation. It's far expensive when compare to hydroelectric source of electricity.
Diversify to where? Is it not the same dullard that said North east will soon start oil exploration? Better wake up, APC na scam...Hope ur name came out in the coded apc- CBN employment list?

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Dragonking: 9:45pm On Mar 18, 2016
sunkieisland:

i like it when i see people that objectively analyze a situation, no Nlanders that put the blame of everything ominous on d president.

You have a sleepless night.... Na Buhari cause am

You are unable to poo, ....

Nigerians should grow up and embrace the real virtues of nationhood.

Americans didn't blame their leaders like we do here, during d great depression

#NaijaisGreat....let's live accordingly
But you were blaming GEJ abi? Hypocrite!!!

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Pavarottii(m): 9:46pm On Mar 18, 2016
Idrico:
Let them go there if the country have the market.Nigeria will still remain No1 in Africa.
Don't fool urself, we were number one because of GEJ managed the country well and created a business friendly environment. If u mismanage d saame country. U can never be number 1 again. Stop thinking like a zombie. Be logic, intelligent and rational in ur thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Dragonking: 9:51pm On Mar 18, 2016
aloeman15:

She's actually right.
And buhari did promise true federalism.
Whether he knew the meaning is another matter.
You can't grow an industry on gen.
You can't grow crops with marauders.
You can't attract investment without a budget.
You can't convince Investors with a fraudulent budget.
You can't assure stability without rule of law.
You can't raise morale with a long suffering people (go ask the israelites of egypt).
You can't even retrieve stolen assets without records.
But most of all, you can't join the league of developed nations without educating and enlightening every man, woman and child.
You want a great nation?
Solve the last problem.
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by sunkieisland(m): 9:53pm On Mar 18, 2016
Dragonking:
But you were blaming GEJ abi? Hypocrite!!!

just replace blame in my earlier post with curse.

I didn't blame or curse GEJ, i am just of d opinion that the president won't do for u what you should do for urself.

The snag in Nigeria at the moment is the lack of the basic necessities of life.
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Dollyak(f): 9:55pm On Mar 18, 2016
Chukazu:

but seriously, what you posited doesnt tally with the topic of discussion
Unfortunately, it wouldn't to an average you. That is one of many chains of problems.
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Chukazu: 9:56pm On Mar 18, 2016
aloeman15:

The very reason why we haven't been able to diversify is because we're not practising federalism. States had no reason to develop their assets because of oil money. All diversified economies have withstood the downturn much better than we have. More importantly, osun state would have more than 6m for february- because her assets would have been generating revenue, long before the oil slump and would use the slump to showcase it's current and future exports for potential investors, both local and foreign.
Do you see the connection between fdi and federalism?

And i was referring to israel's slavery under egypt. Moses, remember?

you still didnt address my point.
there are countries without true federalism, doing better than Nigeria in terms FDI.
THERE ARE COUNTRIES WITH UNITARIAN SYSTEM, DOING BETTER THAN US.

the person I quoted, talked about Lagos giving 95% of IGR to FG(still debatable).. that has nothing to do with FDI.

the Ivory Coast that has overtaken us doesn't have true federalism.
let's argue reasonably, nothing for sentiments

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by banmee(m): 9:58pm On Mar 18, 2016
criminalmindz:

Nigeria was no1 investors heaven in africa cus Goodluck was there

You and the 50 people who liked your post need to be flogged.

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by kolokolobi(m): 10:06pm On Mar 18, 2016
I had posted something related to this in answer to a question by a nairalander. It's here below and hope it helps on this topic.
Firms make foreign direct investment decisions based on certain factors. These could be firm specific factors ranging from revenue drive, following a competitor to a new market in another country, the strain of the liability of foreigness which includes distance language culture and country specific advantages, identification of a viable and vibrant market in terms of size and economy of the target demographics.
There are certain factors that make a country attractive to FDI. These include legal issues, investment laws that bother on allowed ownership structures, tax holidays if any, are it's laws similar in style from country of origin of the FDI etc. Security is another consideration. Infrastructure.... Power roads transport Internet ports banking etc. Then institutions...... Police judiciary arbitration panels customs immigration etc... Are they operating at best practice levels. Furthermore the foreign exchange regime.... Can I get my profit out without stress. Another consideration is polilitical... Is it a democracy? Is there a possibility that the government and governance is unstable and so will translate to unstable policies.
All the issues raised above are major considerations for FDI and no one wants to take their funds to invest in a country where the outlook for these factors are either vague or unhealthy. As I type this Nigeria does not look good. There's a competition out there for this FDI and countries that know the implications are doing all that they can to put these issues which form country specific advantages in the right position. Any one of these not put in place is a risk and nobody likes taking risks or at least let the risk be minimal. For Nigeria to attract FDI I've identified 3 areas that must be tackled.... Security, infrastructure and institutions.
If I may discuss further.
Security: It's a no brainer what the book haram issue has meant to the business climate. The firm I work with had a couple of opportunities in the outgoing year in the north east of Nigeria. We turned them down. How do you feel foreigners who have security alerts from their various countries and embassies will feel. I've seen expertriates riding with armed guards all over the place and I tell you non is happy about it. Some firms even pay special hazards allowances for staff deployed to Nigeria. This adds to the cost of doing business generally and it's not attractive. This is not to say that security is perfect even at the countries of origin of FDI but it should be minimal and seen as controllable and manageable. Can we recall the spate of kidnappings for ransom etc. I can see why the current zero tolerance for any uprising is quashed with albeit in overkill I must admit. Business and I dare FDI thrives in an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.
INSTITUTIONS: We must be quite familiar with some unwholesome acts going on at the ports. Under hand deals, blatant request for bribes from all quarters even for people to carry out their paid jobs. Scandals from the judiciary, customs, immigration police. All operating below part in terms of ethics. The civil service filled with tin gods that see your legitimate request on their table as am opportunity to shake you down not minding the effects of this behaviour on the long run. The culture of nothing moves unless someone's palm is greased has to stop. There has to be an integrity in the system to promote trust that if we bring our business to Nigeria things will be done properly in good time without any hassles. I'll add here that a lot of people did not understand what the South African govt was doing when they decided to broadcast live the high profile case involving the blade runner Oscar Pistorious murder trial to the whole world. They wanted to show the world that our judiciary can be trusted to fair and firm. That we are transparent and even prompt. On that back drop imagine the rigmarole and opaque system in Nigeria. The world is watching. The people that are in a position to know these things behave like children unfortunately.
INFRASTRUCTURE : have you wondered that the largest economy in Africa is operating on about 5000 watts of power. Even smaller SA is operating on four times that amount. It is laughable really. So generating your own power is a consideration to be made by an FDI aspirant. It cost loads to generate private power. Weak transport outlay is not beneficial to consideration too as the movement of people goods and services is a key factor in ensuring success.

Finally you may say but other foreign companies are still operating in Nigeria. Yes they are... The high population is so so attractive but you may also be aware that they are outsourcing some of the aspects of their businesses to Benin and Ghana for ease.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by wristbangle: 10:08pm On Mar 18, 2016
Dragonking:
Diversify to where? Is it not the same dullard that said North east will soon start oil exploration? Better wake up, APC na scam...Hope ur name came out in the coded apc- CBN employment list?

Mtcheeww! Wetin consine me with una APC/PDP bulala
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Bibors(m): 10:13pm On Mar 18, 2016
Idrico:
What happened when PDP rigged for Wike?

Truly I cant imagine that you guys posts such even seeing that its obvious that the country is nose diving.
How much are you paid for such treachery?
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by wristbangle: 10:16pm On Mar 18, 2016
kolokolobi:
I had posted something related to this in answer to a question by a nairalander. It's here below and hope it helps on this topic.
Firms make foreign direct investment decisions based on certain factors. These could be firm specific factors ranging from revenue drive, following a competitor to a new market in another country, the strain of the liability of foreigness which includes distance language culture and country specific advantages, identification of a viable and vibrant market in terms of size and economy of the target demographics.
There are certain factors that make a country attractive to FDI. These include legal issues, investment laws that bother on allowed ownership structures, tax holidays if any, are it's laws similar in style from country of origin of the FDI etc. Security is another consideration. Infrastructure.... Power roads transport Internet ports banking etc. Then institutions...... Police judiciary arbitration panels customs immigration etc... Are they operating at best practice levels. Furthermore the foreign exchange regime.... Can I get my profit out without stress. Another consideration is polilitical... Is it a democracy? Is there a possibility that the government and governance is unstable and so will translate to unstable policies.
All the issues raised above are major considerations for FDI and no one wants to take their funds to invest in a country where the outlook for these factors are either vague or unhealthy. As I type this Nigeria does not look good. There's a competition out there for this FDI and countries that know the implications are doing all that they can to put these issues which form country specific advantages in the right position. Any one of these not put in place is a risk and nobody likes taking risks or at least let the risk be minimal. For Nigeria to attract FDI I've identified 3 areas that must be tackled.... Security, infrastructure and institutions.
If I may discuss further.
Security: It's a no brainer what the book haram issue has meant to the business climate. The firm I work with had a couple of opportunities in the outgoing year in the north east of Nigeria. We turned them down. How do you feel foreigners who have security alerts from their various countries and embassies will feel. I've seen expertriates riding with armed guards all over the place and I tell you non is happy about it. Some firms even pay special hazards allowances for staff deployed to Nigeria. This adds to the cost of doing business generally and it's not attractive. This is not to say that security is perfect even at the countries of origin of FDI but it should be minimal and seen as controllable and manageable. Can we recall the spate of kidnappings for ransom etc. I can see why the current zero tolerance for any uprising is quashed with albeit in overkill I must admit. Business and I dare FDI thrives in an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.
INSTITUTIONS: We must be quite familiar with some unwholesome acts going on at the ports. Under hand deals, blatant request for bribes from all quarters even for people to carry out their paid jobs. Scandals from the judiciary, customs, immigration police. All operating below part in terms of ethics. The civil service filled with tin gods that see your legitimate request on their table as am opportunity to shake you down not minding the effects of this behaviour on the long run. The culture of nothing moves unless someone's palm is greased has to stop. There has to be an integrity in the system to promote trust that if we bring our business to Nigeria things will be done properly in good time without any hassles. I'll add here that a lot of people did not understand what the South African govt was doing when they decided to broadcast live the high profile case involving the blade runner Oscar Pistorious murder trial to the whole world. They wanted to show the world that our judiciary can be trusted to fair and firm. That we are transparent and even prompt. On that back drop imagine the rigmarole and opaque system in Nigeria. The world is watching. The people that are in a position to know these things behave like children unfortunately.
INFRASTRUCTURE : have you wondered that the largest economy in Africa is operating on about 5000 watts of power. Even smaller SA is operating on four times that amount. It is laughable really. So generating your own power is a consideration to be made by an FDI aspirant. It cost loads to generate private power. Weak transport outlay is not beneficial to consideration too as the movement of people goods and services is a key factor in ensuring success.

Finally you may say but other foreign companies are still operating in Nigeria. Yes they are... The high population is so so attractive but you may also be aware that they are outsourcing some of the aspects of their businesses to Benin and Ghana for ease.

Intelligent comment. The best in this thread. I hope y'll will read this talented view.

God bless u sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by fairheven: 10:20pm On Mar 18, 2016
I
Dollyak:

Unfortunately, it wouldn't to an average you. That is one of many chains of problems.

Your problem is comprehension... A dose of it can be a "chain" undecided
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by maxzzo1(m): 10:20pm On Mar 18, 2016
All becos of Brainless Buhari and APC!!!
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Touchey: 10:21pm On Mar 18, 2016
kossyablaze:
Body Odour everywhere!....I regret voting this brainless dullard!Pls forgive me wailers! I was naïve and brainwashed.My eyes don clear now
have you bought the late wailers' form?
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by wristbangle: 10:22pm On Mar 18, 2016
Pavarottii:

Don't fool urself, we were number one because of GEJ managed the country well and created a business friendly environment. If u mismanage d saame country. U can never be number 1 again. Stop thinking like a zombie. Be logic, intelligent and rational in ur thoughts.

Sir, na because oil peak ni oo! Forget zombie/wailer ish, GEJ siphon money too much abeg.

1 Like

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Vanpascore(m): 10:23pm On Mar 18, 2016
aloeman15:

Neighbour,
Have you blamed gej today?
2015 budget was passed in may. Have you asked buhari what he did with the money?
Don't hold you servants to account, eh? Be like israelites of old, wailing about the past.
Abi na pdp and ipod produce report?
*Modified-
Ah! Sori oh, bros.
You were asking about allocation?
I bin no see dat pat o!
What state do you reside in?
What have your party's governors done with their allocations since 1999?!
Abeg, boast giv us, make we hear beta gist!

Yes, i av blamed him and i will continue doing. When budget was passed, ur broda jona was begging for votes den so d transition was nt even done properly. Going back to my plea, ask dem to return owe money they stole. I resides in Ogun state, we av seen our money at work,so for d problem Naija is facing now, they, ur PDP and Jona caused it
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Dollyak(f): 10:23pm On Mar 18, 2016
fairheven:
I

Your problem is comprehension... A dose of it can be a "chain" undecided
What comprehension? Nigga outta here man and let's not go down the semantic route, of which it can only lead downhill from there. You don't even have a point in the first place. Play the game and not the man. Kunt.
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Luckylife(m): 10:46pm On Mar 18, 2016
kossyablaze:
better late than never you own case get remedies but a pity those programmed zombies that Aisha rice are using.
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by kolokolobi(m): 10:54pm On Mar 18, 2016
wristbangle:

Intelligent comment. The best in this thread. I hope y'll will read this talented view.
God bless u sir.

Thank you Sir. I had written that a few months back last year. It was seen coming already. I dare say if the issues mentioned are tackled and investment is made in infrastructure Nigeria will easily retake first spot. The population and demographics are magnets can not be ignored. An improved economy with purchasing power, stability in governance and security will naturally turn things in our favor as country specific advantages.

I'd rather we focus on rallying around the government in power to get this done than pointing fingers. If you ask me the current government may get it right. It's methods may be better refined and it needs to articulate it's direction. Yes it's said security corruption and infrastructure are it's key objectives it must find a way to pass the message that it's doing just that. Repeatedly. Unfortunately the atmosphere is so polarized that some people actually do not want it succeed just so they can say... I told you. It could have been worse if status quo was maintained after the recent elections. They were ready to rape this country to death.
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Goddex: 11:04pm On Mar 18, 2016
neolboy:
Chai, Baba destroying the economy GEJ and co fought so hard to make
Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by Pavarottii(m): 11:11pm On Mar 18, 2016
wristbangle:

Sir, na because oil peak ni oo! Forget zombie/wailer ish, GEJ siphon money too much abeg.
U guys still don't get it oil was sold above 100 for how long? How much was oil in 1999 and 2008. My brother, a good manager is a good one. A bad manager even if oil is sold at 140 now without a plan; will still fail woefully. Oil was only above 100 for not more than 2years. Go and get ur facts right. Somebody that sold oil for a high amount never present a budget of more 4.5trillion. But someone that is selling for about 35; did a budget of 6trillion. Please where is the sense in that? And me and u know that budget is dead on arrival. No good policy, program in it. Or aany plan for massive diversification. And almost 1year gone. Things av gone for good to bad.
GEJ siphone money; that's wat they keep telling us because that's wat they wnt us to hear. Did he siphone up to Abacha, IBB or Obj? Someone that did not allocate an oil well to himself. Please abeg let me hear word. So wat happened to the rest of 2015 budget since buhari came on board; wat happened to ministers salaries 4 6months. Why is d budget padded; are not still paying the so called fraudulent subsidy; why av refiniries shut and allowed the cabals to come back into their oil import and export theft. This govt will b more corrupt than the so called GEJ.

Good riddance.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination by IkpuMmadu: 11:22pm On Mar 18, 2016
kossyablaze:

We wailers won't accept you. We warned you guys

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Meets With Justin Welby, The Archbishop Of England (Photos) / Fayose Explains How APC And INEC Are Plotting To Rig 2019 Elections, Lists Lgas / Pyrates Confraternity Calls For Emergence Of New Nation Builders In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.