Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,608 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace (59720 Views)

Soldiers Take Over Arepo, Trace Militants To Badagry / Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi / Investigators Trace N650m To Nduka Obaigbe, Thisday Publisher - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 6:00am On Mar 19, 2016
macof:

:-/ lie lie

bini and ludicrous claims are inseparable

sungbo eredo that was already left desolate before bini empire began?

bini empire never extended past akure. ...akure was in fact in constant battles against bini that I cannot safely say Akure was ever subjected

Tell us the history behind Sungbo eredo, I bet your ancestors knew nothing about that great master piece.

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 6:07am On Mar 19, 2016
VirginFinder:

Let me break it down:

1. Yoruba language is to Binis what English is to Nigerians.

2. Agbada/Buba & Sokoto(Yoruba outfit) is to Binis what suit, shirt and trouser is to Nigerians.

3. Ifa/Ogboni(Yoruba religion) is to Binis what Christianity is Nigerians.

Got it?

What a comical fellow.

yoruba is not spoken in Benin, agbada is not benin traditional wear neither is it yoruba's ask the northerners more about agbada and there i no ifa in benin but IHA OGUEGA and yoruba is not used as in ifa corpus mind you most ifa words are not even yoruba beg for more info and i will enligthen you were you parents couldn't.
Ogboni was a political tool used by the awolowo action group in the 50's and helped instead by the obaseki who was at logger head with the benin throne we all knew how he died.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 6:11am On Mar 19, 2016
macof:

:-/ lie lie

bini and ludicrous claims are inseparable

sungbo eredo that was already left desolate before bini empire began?

bini empire never extended past akure. ...akure was in fact in constant battles against bini that I cannot safely say Akure was ever subjected

They were severally defeated and taxed heavily until the british put a stop to it. Same goes for Owo,ask questions about ur history and stop this wanton display of ignorance ****

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 6:12am On Mar 19, 2016
scholes0:

I talk say Eredo, you talk say Oredo.
Read up about Sungbo Eredo.

http://www.wondermondo.com/Countries/Af/Nigeria/Ogun/Eredo.htm
http://www.cometonigeria.com/wheretogo/sungbo-eredo/

Why is it called EreEDO?
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 6:16am On Mar 19, 2016
IkpuMmadu:
Did I hear you say mighty and medieval... Too much names is what kills a dog

Is it the mud houses in Benin
Is it the prostitutions ring and cartel
Is it giving us armed robbery.. Annenih and oisunbor
Is it bad government
Is it witchcraft
Is it fetish mentality till date

Is it exiled King
Us it defeated state by biafrans

What is mighty about them

Laor tota

Lol...benin was NEVER defeated by Biafra but Nigeria soldiers were defeated cos there was no Benin Empire in the 60's or will you say Hausa defeated Yoruba by taking over Ibadan,Abeokuta and lagos Barracks? Also do not forget 60% of the soldiers in Benin barrack were Ibos and the key to the armory were three two were held by Ibos of Anioma, no wonder the bloody asaba massacre where ur likes were slaughtered like chickens. Are forgetting the Benin resistance army that render the Biafrans soldiers useless and when the Nigerian army they were all slaughtered like pigs. Read ur history kid.

2 Likes

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 19, 2016
VirginFinder:
Ancient Bini people saw Yorubas as big brothers to be proud of.
It's the modern ones that are trying to rub shoulders unnecessarily.
What a shame!

There are Yoruba traces (dressing/language/religion) in core Benin.
But you can't find any trace of Benin in core Yorubaland.

Also, many Binis can relate to Yoruba language.

However, the larger majority of Yorubas dont even know what the Bini dialect sounds like.

Come on!!

You cannot find any trace of Yoruba in core Beninland, the Yoruba's always call on the Benin for military support ask Ogendegbe of Ekiti Parapo it was the benin soldiers among them that renders the invading Ibadan army useless and they never dare any Benin land.

Religion nada comon kid grow up! What religion? There was NOTHING like Yoruba when BEnin Empire existed and Oyo was a garrison of criminals who were slave raiders hence the reason for the Kiriji war. Tell me one town outside the Yoruba speaking region was conquered by Oyo?

Kids with no knowledge of their history trying to disrespect the tribe who made them.

We gave you Oduduwa, we united you all with our support of the Kiriji war without Benin there is no Yoruba!

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by autolearner: 7:05am On Mar 19, 2016
ycat:
It's because the great wall of China was real and still is. But the Benin own was imaginary and built in their mouths. There are walls like the ones mind1 showed all over Nigeria where they were built and still today though beaten up but standing.

Something a people never had can't magically appear just because they wish and believe their own lies.

hmm.. Very Deep One!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Funjosh(m): 7:16am On Mar 19, 2016
macof:

the last pic is sungbo eredo not the wall of Benin

And who will ban mynd44 for posting false information on NL Rule no.8

You people should stop giving yourself unnecessary headache over Yoruba and Benin, if you have stay in Benin you will know they worship Ogun, Atilala and even do Ifa so what the fuze about undecided
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tpiar: 7:20am On Mar 19, 2016
opal4real:

What a comical fellow.

yoruba is not spoken in Benin, agbada is not benin traditional wear neither is it yoruba's ask the northerners more about agbada and there i no ifa in benin but IHA OGUEGA and yoruba is not used as in ifa corpus mind you most ifa words are not even yoruba beg for more info and i will enligthen you were you parents couldn't.
Ogboni was a political tool used by the awolowo action group in the 50's and helped instead by the obaseki who was at logger head with the benin throne we all knew how he died.

https://www.nairaland.com/2030955/see-kind-money-edo-big

If you still doubt:

http://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2014/12/choi-see-kind-of-money-edo-big-boys.html
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tbaba1234: 7:20am On Mar 19, 2016
texanomaly:

Which version of history are you talking about here? On this one thread few can agree on where boundaries were, who lived where, what they wore, what language was spoken first, which religions were here first and which tribe was most influential.

Imagine a history class where radical tribalists start physically fighting each other over perceived differences. Is Nigeria ready to collect it's various histories and become one nation? I often wonder. I've been talking to Nigerians for a few years now. Is it possible to write a history book that won't cause a riot? You tell me?

History is extremely important. If nothing else, so we don't make the same mistakes over and over. It is also important to know where we come from.

Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
~ George Santayana

There is enough scholarly material about Benin history. Most of the people here are not learned and speak from predetermined prejudices.

If history presents what is known from preserved records as opposed to myths of who descended from who, tribal rivalries will be reduced.

Nothing in the piece is controversial at least from a scholarly point of view.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by forgiveness: 7:25am On Mar 19, 2016
Mynd44:
This is nice. Real nice

Here are some pictures of that famous wall

Is this picture not Ijebu Ode..,?
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
peace my dear is only found in developed countries where is employment for youth,sound education good amenities,places in the world where there is almost no excuse to commit a crime,places like Holland, Finland,Norway,usa,etc not really determine by the "opium of the people".
They had all those in Africa before the arrival external influence via religion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by codemaniacs: 7:52am On Mar 19, 2016
opal4real:

You cannot find any trace of Yoruba in core Beninland, the Yoruba's always call on the Benin for military support ask Ogendegbe of Ekiti Parapo it was the benin soldiers among them that renders the invading Ibadan army useless and they never dare any Benin land.

Religion nada comon kid grow up! What religion? There was NOTHING like Yoruba when BEnin Empire existed and Oyo was a garrison of criminals who were slave raiders hence the reason for the Kiriji war. Tell me one town outside the Yoruba speaking region was conquered by Oyo?

Kids with no knowledge of their history trying to disrespect the tribe who made them.

We gave you Oduduwa, we united you all with our support of the Kiriji war without Benin there is no Yoruba!

Yorubas existed long before the benin kingdom

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tbaba1234: 8:05am On Mar 19, 2016
Obiagelli:

There were great Muslim empires in Africa that had great literacy, organization and military strength.
Examples are:
The Mali empire,
The Songhai Empire

The problem was not religion as you are trying to claim.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tpiar: 8:11am On Mar 19, 2016
just to be certain, this is the comparison being made?

I am not sure, hence my question.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by codemaniacs: 8:11am On Mar 19, 2016
tbaba1234:

There were great Muslim empires in Africa that had great literacy, organization and military strength.
Examples are:
The Mali empire,
The Songhai Empire

Religion was a problem cos it turned people of the same tribe against each other. African countries did well with their own traditional religion.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tbaba1234: 8:12am On Mar 19, 2016
tpiar:
just to be certain, this is the comparison being made?

I am not sure, hence my question.

Scholars of history assert that the Benin wall was indeed longer than the wall of China. Yes.

2 Likes

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tpiar: 8:13am On Mar 19, 2016
tbaba1234:
Benin City, the mighty medieval capital now lost without trace

[b]With its mathematical layout and earthworks longer than the Great Wall of China

The Guinness Book of Records (1974 edition) described the walls of Benin City and its surrounding kingdom as the world’s largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era. According to estimates by the New Scientist’s Fred Pearce, Benin City’s walls were at one point “four times longer than the Great Wall of China

Barely any trace of these walls exist today.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tpiar: 8:13am On Mar 19, 2016
tbaba1234:

Scholars of history assert that the Benin wall was indeed longer than the wall of China. Yes.

hm, what are the measurements on both?
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tbaba1234: 8:15am On Mar 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

Religion was a problem cos it turned people of the same tribe against each other. African countries did well with their own traditional religion.

People of the same tribe have always fought each other.

Even in the Benin kingdom, some of the towns in Edo state were formed by people who fled from the Oba . (When they felt oppressed).

Throughout history, brothers have fought brothers for power.

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by codemaniacs: 8:17am On Mar 19, 2016
tpiar:

hm, what are the measurements on both?

Benin kingdom was destroyed while china's great wall wasn't destroyed.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tpiar: 8:18am On Mar 19, 2016
ok.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 19, 2016
tbaba1234:

Examples are:
The Mali empire,
The Songhai Empire

My point that africa was doing relatively well even with their "devilish" religion before the arrival of external influence.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by codemaniacs: 8:24am On Mar 19, 2016
tbaba1234:

People of the same tribe have always fought each other.

Even in the Benin kingdom, some of the towns in Edo state were formed by people who fled from the Oba . (When they felt oppressed).

Throughout history, brothers have fought brothers for power.

You're contradicting yourself, the article says they were peaceful and didn't have doors, that means they never fought each other. In your bid to defend and promote your religion you're talking from two sides of your mouth.

Brothers never fought each other. It was western and Arab religion that caused it. Africans had serious respect for morals and traditions.

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by codemaniacs: 8:27am On Mar 19, 2016
Obiagelli:

My point that africa was doing relatively well even with their "devilish" religion before the arrival of external influence.

It wasn't devilish. The foreigners studied how Africans worshipped and wrote in their 'holy' books that it was a crime to worship objects.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tbaba1234: 8:29am On Mar 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

You're contradicting yourself, the article says they were peaceful and didn't have doors, that means they never fought each other. In your bid to defend and promote your religion you're talking from two sides of your mouth.

Brothers never fought each other. It was western and Arab religion that caused it. Africans had serious respect for morals and traditions.

I am from Edo. I have read some of the history. Some towns in Etsako were formed by people who fled from an oppressive Oba.

Do you think all the Obas were good and kind? Power is the same everywhere.

Were empires not fighting each other? We're empires not breaking up within themselves?

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tbaba1234: 8:33am On Mar 19, 2016
Obiagelli:

Islam for instance has been in Africa from the 7th century and was mostly spread through trade with arabs.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by dejavski(m): 8:39am On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
Jesus Christ,wentin concern Bini man concern. agbada,IFA worship in Benin? my friend wake up,just travel to Benin city and stop saying rubbish,the deities in Benin tradictions are Ogun(iron god),oromila,ailala,do u know am a Bini person I have no clue on single sentence in Yoruba means,we Neva know our language finish na Yoruba we wan go learn,which kind inferiority complex dey worry you

Na we(ilajes) get am @ the bolded
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 8:54am On Mar 19, 2016
ycat:
Foool, The original bini was a land with some Yoruba from Oranmiyan, not you impostors, and Yoruba was the first oba of that land. You probably just found about wiki. So how did you tell your story before now? The whole world can't see what wasn't there, only now you inferior schizophrenic people are just trying to make up history for yourselves, you didn't have any.

dey go now
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 8:54am On Mar 19, 2016
Obiagelli:

okay oh
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 8:57am On Mar 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

It wasn't devilish. The foreigners studied how Africans worshipped and wrote in their 'holy' books that it was a crime to worship objects.
are u say the books were written specifically for Africans?,the bible for instance dates backs to almost 3 thousand years back
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 9:00am On Mar 19, 2016
dejavski:

oh really nor vex,na evangelizing dem take bring am come here grin
dejavski:

oh really nor vex,na evangelizing dem take bring am come here ,now una get oromila,Ogun,etc I don even forget many seft

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Inspects The Removal Of Lekki Second Roundabout (Pictures) / "Because I' A Soldier, Born To Die" - Emotional Pic Shared By A Nigerian Soldier / Buhari's Disqualification: Court Orders Service Of Documents On Buhari, INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.