Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,217 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (923) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1272351 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (920) (921) (922) (923) (924) (925) (926) ... (1223) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by horllamy(m): 4:52pm On Jul 07, 2018
branham890:

Good day bro
Please a sugary liquid poured on my laptop keyboard and it stopped working
Please what can I do

Consider replacing the keyboard
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 07, 2018
horllamy:

Consider replacing the keyboard
Too bad How much would it cost
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by godfrey01(m): 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2018
branham890:

My keyboard stopped working cause a liquid(not water) poured on it

let engineer like us eat your money. visit the nearest computer hardware repair shop...
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 10:43pm On Jul 07, 2018
branham890:

Good day bro
Please a sugary liquid poured on my laptop keyboard and it stopped working
Please what can I do

Hello branham890,

Keyboard needs to be replaced...

In fact it's cheaper to simply replace the keyboard than wait until your keyboard wouldn't let you boot.

*cheers*
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 11:42pm On Jul 07, 2018
Digitron:

window 7 bro Thanks so much for ur concern

Ok, so the following guidelines were carefully "lifted" from dummies . com

=>Open the Computer window.

=>Right-click the media you want to defragment, such as the main hard drive, C.

=>In the drive’s Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.

=>Click the Defragment Now button.

The Disk Defragmenter window appears.

Rather than plow ahead and potentially waste time defragmenting a drive that doesn’t need it, check the media’s current fragmentation.

=>Click the Analyze Disk button.

Wait while Windows checks the defragmentation on the media.

Check the Percent Fragmented value by the disk in the Disk Defragmenter window. If it’s zero, there’s no point in continuing: Skip to Step 8.

Even when the drive shows 0 percent fragmented files, you can still proceed with defragmentation.

No media can be fully defragmented, so the Windows Defragmenter will always find something to do.
Click the Defragment Disk button.

Windows defragments the media. Sit back and watch, or do something else, though you shouldn’t do anything on your computer while the media is being defragmented.

Click the Close button, and close up any other windows you opened.

You may not notice any drastic improvement in disk performance, especially when the hard drive is frequently defragmented. But if you just defragmented your PC’s hard drive for the first time, prepare to be stunned.

You cannot defragment a network drive.

If your laptop uses an SSD drive, you cannot defragment your SSD.

Do not defragment a media card or flash drive. These drives have a limited number of “writes” available to them.
That is, the media can support data being written to it a finite number of times. This number can be huge, but it’s a real number; after reaching the number, the media becomes useless.
By not defragmenting a media card or flash drive, you avoid accelerating the deadline.

Optical drives cannot be defragmented.

Even after running the Defragmentation utility, file fragments remain on the hard drive. That’s just the nature of disk storage.

Please don’t obsess and run the defragmentation utilities over and over, trying to get a perfectly defragmented hard drive.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 12:12am On Jul 08, 2018
lordtim001:
I just made the most stupid decision of my life
I wanted to modify my bios so I can change a lot of things since HP and other manufacturers hide the useful settings for overclocking, fan control and others

So I went to biosmods forum and I saw an unlocked bios for my system HP pavilion dv4 1xxx series with InsydeH20 bios f.66 and f.67 that is tripleconfirmed. I flashed it from within Windows but after restarting, the Insyde Bios Setup was the same as before. I tried it like five times. No joy

So i made a bootable USB drive with Win 98 DOS mode and I copied the bios file and the WinFlash utility. I typed in the command line and it updated it successfully and the system restarted. Upon restart, the hard drive light shows and spins but I get no video output. No POST. No BIOS screen. The caps lock and num lock leds blink four times. I run to HP support website and it says that four blinks mean graphics controller error. So I hooked up my monitor to the motherboard directly with VGA cable but still nothing
I opened it up and reset the CMOS battery, cleaned the RAM sticks and the slots and unlatched and latched the processor. Did a hard reset. Still nothing

The instructions I'm seeing talk about hotswapping the BIOS from a working motherboard which I'm sure can kill the motherboard if not properly done
Should I make a recovery bios of my former bios on a USB and cleverly flash it and see if it would reset?

If I manage to get out of this, i won't try updating BIOS ever again!

Awwwww sad
This is so sad.

Ok, so back on track.

BIOS UPDATE GONE BAD!!!

You may be lucky (60:40)with a recovery BIOS, but remember there's no display.

Have you tried another monitor? And you're sure this monitor connected to AC power? Y'know, I'm asking because panick can make us forget stuff...

Nonetheless, reseating another bios if the BIOS isn't on-board (I need a better description) should be relatively easy. Compared to more modern laptops.

... A chip level engineer will be able to decipher what the fate of your laptop will be...

I am one, but I don't handle BIOS Stuff. Not only does it take time, you'll have to run through each major component again and again for every chip you change so! grin damn...

I do know a guy who does this, recorded more success stories that gloomy ones.

If your PC doesn't work after this, then motherboard replacement calling... Intel dv4 boards only.

Feel for you maaan.
Take it as this as the life of a tech adventurer. Sometimes exciting (tweaking components and watching your laptop "fly"wink and sometimes gloomy (what just happened to you)

*cheers*
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by lordtim001(m): 2:40am On Jul 08, 2018
Razak5:

Awwwww sad
This is so sad.

Ok, so back on track.

BIOS UPDATE GONE BAD!!!

You may be lucky (60:40)with a recovery BIOS, but remember there's no display.

Have you tried another monitor? And you're sure this monitor connected to AC power? Y'know, I'm asking because panick can make us forget stuff...

Nonetheless, reseating another bios if the BIOS isn't on-board (I need a better description) should be relatively easy. Compared to more modern laptops.

... A chip level engineer will be able to decipher what the fate of your laptop will be...

I am one, but I don't handle BIOS Stuff. Not only does it take time, you'll have to run through each major component again and again for every chip you change so! grin damn...

I do know a guy who does this, recorded more success stories that gloomy ones.

If your PC doesn't work after this, then motherboard replacement calling... Intel dv4 boards only.

Feel for you maaan.
Take it as this as the life of a tech adventurer. Sometimes exciting (tweaking components and watching your laptop "fly"wink and sometimes gloomy (what just happened to you)

*cheers*
Yes, power is connected to both laptop and monitor. And i think the BIOS chip is soldered(I'll check it today)
The only thing I get is blinking caps lock and num lock keys 4 times and a pause and then another four times and so on. According According to HP manual, 4 times means graphics controller error and 2 blinks mean bios error. But I'm getting 4 blinks so I'm confused here. I'll also try HDMI at a friends place tomorrow
The sites I have seen are telling me to heat the graphics chip with a heat gun. I don't have the specialty to do that before I damage the board. And I know its not the graphics controller. Maybe the default setting in the new BIOS disabled onboard graphics. The only thing I get also is beeps when I press page up and page down, function keys and tab key

I'll try the recovery method today, but if I'm truly fvcked, like how much will the BIOS chip replacement cost? And how much is the motherboard?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by horllamy(m): 4:41am On Jul 08, 2018
branham890:

Too bad
How much would it cost

What is the model number of ur laptop
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 6:12am On Jul 08, 2018
lordtim001:

Yes, power is connected to both laptop and monitor. And i think the BIOS chip is soldered(I'll check it today)
The only thing I get is blinking caps lock and num lock keys 4 times and a pause and then another four times and so on. According According to HP manual, 4 times means graphics controller error and 2 blinks mean bios error. But I'm getting 4 blinks so I'm confused here. I'll also try HDMI at a friends place tomorrow
The sites I have seen are telling me to heat the graphics chip with a heat gun. I don't have the specialty to do that before I damage the board. And I know its not the graphics controller. Maybe the default setting in the new BIOS disabled onboard graphics. The only thing I get also is beeps when I press page up and page down, function keys and tab key

I'll try the recovery method today, but if I'm truly fvcked, like how much will the BIOS chip replacement cost? And how much is the motherboard?

About 10k.

On board graphics shouldn't be disabled, like seriously!!
I don't think so.

Heating the VGA, shockingly might be a bright option [y'know could be a coincidence] though not a 1st choice.

Ofcourse, you can try out the HDMI...

And finally, let's be sure the BIO is soldered... Schematics might help.

And yes, I did answer your last question first.

*easy bro*
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 6:27am On Jul 08, 2018
lordtim001:
I just made the most stupid decision of my life
I wanted to modify my bios so I can change a lot of things since HP and other manufacturers hide the useful settings for overclocking, fan control and others

So I went to biosmods forum and I saw an unlocked bios for my system HP pavilion dv4 1xxx series with InsydeH20 bios f.66 and f.67 that is tripleconfirmed. I flashed it from within Windows but after restarting, the Insyde Bios Setup was the same as before. I tried it like five times. No joy

So i made a bootable USB drive with Win 98 DOS mode and I copied the bios file and the WinFlash utility. I typed in the command line and it updated it successfully and the system restarted. Upon restart, the hard drive light shows and spins but I get no video output. No POST. No BIOS screen. The caps lock and num lock leds blink four times. I run to HP support website and it says that four blinks mean graphics controller error. So I hooked up my monitor to the motherboard directly with VGA cable but still nothing
I opened it up and reset the CMOS battery, cleaned the RAM sticks and the slots and unlatched and latched the processor. Did a hard reset. Still nothing

The instructions I'm seeing talk about hotswapping the BIOS from a working motherboard which I'm sure can kill the motherboard if not properly done
Should I make a recovery bios of my former bios on a USB and cleverly flash it and see if it would reset?

If I manage to get out of this, i won't try updating BIOS ever again!

Corrupt ME region , you need a bios programmer e.g Rt809f programmer to fix it.
Unfortunately, I'm not around that's why have not been doing any job but just let me know your location so I give you contact.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 6:34am On Jul 08, 2018
Razak5:

About 10k.

I don't think so.

Heating the VGA, shockingly might be a bright option [y'know could be a coincidence] though not a 1st choice.

*easy bro*
On board graphic can be disabled, discreet to UMA.

I'm very sure the bios is corrupt, the ME region is corrupt, that's one if the symptoms of a corrupt ME region.

Updating the ME region will definitely put it back to order.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by lordtim001(m): 9:14am On Jul 08, 2018
udemzyudex:

Corrupt ME region , you need a bios programmer e.g Rt809f programmer to fix it.
Unfortunately, I'm not around that's why have not been doing any job but just let me know your location so I give you contact.
I'm around Ogun State. Close to Ojodu Berger
But I can come to Lagos of course
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by lordtim001(m): 9:18am On Jul 08, 2018
Razak5:

About 10k.

I don't think so.

*easy bro*
So that's how my stupidity will cost me the money I have been preparing to buy a new processor
I'll open it up and get back to you on the state of the bios chip and I'll try the recovery bios stuff this afternoon
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 10:31am On Jul 08, 2018
lordtim001:

I'm around Ogun State. Close to Ojodu Berger
But I can come to Lagos of course

I have engineers 0706 292 4212,he is on WhatsApp, just tell him from udemzy.

Explain to him and he will fix it.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2018
udemzyudex:

On board graphic can be disabled, discreet to UMA.

I'm very sure the bios is corrupt, the ME region is corrupt, that's one if the symptoms of a corrupt ME region.

Updating the ME region will definitely put it back to order.

Of course, but not so fast... All what this guy did was to update the BIOS...

...just like everything else in electronics, a moment of action could result in several episodes of reaction...

If it means going this far, mehn our broda needs help o.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by lordtim001(m): 12:49pm On Jul 08, 2018
Razak5:

...just like everything else in electronics, a moment of action could result in several episodes of reaction...

I mentioned it was not a HP verified BIOS. I got it from a bios mod forum. But what gave me the balls to flash it was that many people said they have flashed it and it worked for them
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by casted81: 2:12pm On Jul 08, 2018
casted81:
Hi all, the keyboard and touchpad of my mini lappy is no more responsive. Engrs how much will it cost me to get a replacement?

So I was able to repair my system and purchased other accessories at Razak5 place, yesterday at computer village.
Guys patronise him ,his a nice guy. cool cool
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 2:13pm On Jul 08, 2018
Razak5:

Lol.. It won't take days, within 30mins or less you can disable graphic depending on the model of laptop, some laptops require removing the graphic coil and that's all.

Anyway, I believe the bios is corrupt, it won't take up to 30mins to update or back date the ME region.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 2:14pm On Jul 08, 2018
casted81:

So I was able to repair my system at Razak5 place yesterday at computer village.

OK I will, thanks for your feedback grin
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
horllamy:

What is the model number of ur laptop
A mini HP laptop
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 6:11am On Jul 09, 2018
casted81:

So I was able to repair my system and purchased other accessories at Razak5 place, yesterday at computer village.

Thanks for the recommendation Bro.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Razak5(m): 6:15am On Jul 09, 2018
udemzyudex:

Lol.. It won't take days, within 30mins or less you can disable graphic depending on the model of laptop, some laptops require removing the graphic coil and that's all.

Anyway, I believe the bios is corrupt, it won't take up to 30mins to update or back date the ME region

Thanks for pointing out the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by drips8(m): 9:14am On Jul 09, 2018
Hello all

My laptop hangs a lot when I try to load documents, movies or pictures.i tried troubleshooting and I got to know that the problem is from the internet explorer, the problem name is app hangB1, any way to solve it or is it a case of virus issues?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jahbhlexmhie(m): 1:36pm On Jul 09, 2018
Please ooo I need assistance..

My system no longer connects to my phone hotspot again ooo. Please what can I do?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 1:44pm On Jul 09, 2018
Jahbhlexmhie:
Please ooo I need assistance..

My system no longer connects to my phone hotspot again ooo. Please what can I do?

Remove the hotspot from the system and reconnect.

Right click on the WiFi, select manage and remove it. Then connect back.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2018
drips8:
Hello all

My laptop hangs a lot when I try to load documents, movies or pictures.i tried troubleshooting and I got to know that the problem is from the internet explorer, the problem name is app hangB1, any way to solve it or is it a case of virus issues?

Uninstall the the hangB1 since u say that's the app name.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by kinggSamuel(m): 9:41pm On Jul 09, 2018
Hello Nlanders. Am an architect who is currently serving. I need advice on whether to buy a brand new laptop or a refurbished one. My budget can get me a core i3 brand new one or a core i5 factory refurbished. But i have qualms. The dealer might give me a used laptop in the guise of a refurbished one. So my question is should i go for a brand new one and have rest of mind or go for a refurbished one which is higher specced and use the balance to buy something else and how do i know a factory refurbished laptop.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 10:02pm On Jul 09, 2018
kinggSamuel:
Hello Nlanders. Am an architect who is currently serving. I need advice on whether to buy a brand new laptop or a refurbished one. My budget can get me a core i3 brand new one or a core i5 factory refurbished. But i have qualms. The dealer might give me a used laptop in the guise of a refurbished one. So my question is should i go for a brand new one and have rest of mind or go for a refurbished one which is higher specced and use the balance to buy something else and how do i know a factory refurbished laptop.

If you're buying from a trusted dealer, go for the refurbished with high spec but if you're not sure about the dealer, I'd like to know the model of the laptop you're buying.

Since you're going for brand new core i3, you can later upgrade the processor to core i5 if you want to (depend on the model of laptop you're buying)

A core i5 processor price ranges between 5-7k depending on the seller.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by kinggSamuel(m): 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2018
udemzyudex:

If you're buying from a trusted dealer, go for the refurbished with high spec but if you're not sure about the dealer, I'd like to know the model of the laptop you're buying.

Since you're going for brand new core i3, you can later upgrade the processor to core i5 if you want to (depend on the model of laptop you're buying)

A core i5 processor price ranges between 5-7k depending on the seller.
i want to buy a hp laptop.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by udemzyudex(m): 10:28pm On Jul 09, 2018
kinggSamuel:
i want to buy a hp laptop.

You haven't decide on the model yet?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by LadySarah: 10:53pm On Jul 09, 2018
udemzyudex:

I have engineers 0706 292 4212,he is on WhatsApp, just tell him from udemzy.

Explain to him and he will fix it.

any in ph?My pc settings has gone haywire.I need a good ccomputer specialist,software though.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by kinggSamuel(m): 10:32am On Jul 10, 2018
Hello nlanlders.. I need a recommendation for a hp laptop that has a dedicated graphics card core i5 processor that costs between 160 to 170k.

(1) (2) (3) ... (920) (921) (922) (923) (924) (925) (926) ... (1223) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.