Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,212 members, 7,811,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81920 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 1:08pm On Nov 16, 2006
Secretaries/Personal Assistants In The House - Our Forum

I work as a Personal Assistant to the CEO of my company. I quite know that CONFIDENTIALITY is one of the challenges in Secretarial and Office professional careers. I feel i should share this GOLDEN RULE OF CONFIDENTIALITY to my colleagues. I will also like us to make this a forum for Secretaries/PA, where we ask questions on the challenges of the job and get help from the more experienced ones.

Confidentiality Maintenance

Prying questions from employees. Immediately start communicating your rules regarding confidential information. “When people ask about my boss’ travel schedule or things I don’t feel are appropriate for them to know, I ask them ‘Why do you ask?’” “This politely diffuses them and allows them to think about their need to know. Maybe there is a legitimate reason, which you both can then determine.”

I have always believed the reply “I don’t know” reflects poorly on your professional status because you’re implying you do not have a position of confidence, and this diminishes you. Besides, is anyone really fooled? The questioner knows you know the information, and you know he knows that you know. Burdening yourself with a lie sends the wrong message also—namely, that you will lie under some circumstances. Suddenly, your integrity seems negotiable.

You can, instead, establish the reputation of saying “no” politely, firmly, professionally and consistently. A reliable response is always: “I hope you can understand I’m not able to share any information about that.” If they still persist, try this show-stopper: “Please don’t take this personally, but as a professional, I can’t tell you that.” Most of the time, they will know better than to pursue the issue. Granted, you will always run the risk of some people feeling you are a bit standoffish; but you will have earned their respect and trust.

Securing your work station. “Take a good look at the physical area of responsibility (your office) and rearrange your furniture so you have visual and verbal control of the traffic flow. Because you are the gatekeeper; it is appropriate your desk or office be positioned in such a way that you can control who has access to your boss. You also will be able to minimize needless interruptions because you can handle many matters on your own.

Protecting written documents. “Don’t lead others into temptation” is your best guide to protecting written documents. It’s only natural for people to be tempted to at least glace at papers if you leave them in plain view. Your job is to protect the value of all information in your office.

A few suggestions:

Keep your desk clear of any papers you consider confidential. Flip your papers over even if you are just leaving your desk for coffee. Remember, snoops and thieves can be clever and persistent.

If you’re going to be away from your desk even for a short time, be sure all important documents are either placed inside your desk or locked in a file cabinet.

If you’re working on a confidential document that requires you to have a lot of sensitive materials on your desk for several hours at a time, you can avoid any curious traffic around your desk by scheduling to work on the project during off-peak times, or by setting up camp at another work station.

Always clear your desk before you leave at the end of the day and lock up anything you don’t want others to see. This includes check/deposit books, plans, schedules, correspondence, and even your manual note-taking books. It is always prudent to err on the safe side.

Neutralize or sanitize documents when you remove them from your office. Conceal them inside a folder or envelope, even if you are just hand delivering them to someone on the next floor. Someone standing behind you in the elevator may be able to see just enough to get the rumor mill cranked up.

If you carry confidential documents to and from work, or on business trips, keep them in a locked briefcase; and, never leave the briefcase unattended in public places.

Again, when attending meetings or conferences, don’t leave papers exposed where people nearby can see them. Make sure they are face down or in a protective folder.

When mailing confidential documents, seal them in an envelope marked “confidential.” Then, seal that envelope inside another envelope and mark that “confidential,” too.

Shred confidential documents, rough drafts, photocopies, and notes. Never dispose of these papers in a wastebasket or recycling box from which they can be recovered by the curious or dishonest.

Protecting electronic documents. Deleted files can be recovered, network security is never perfect, and automatic backups may put a complete copy of your work for the day within easy reach of the wrong people. To avoid getting the “byte” put on you, learn the security limitations of your system.

A few suggestions:

Position your terminal screen in a way that prevents anyone from reading it. Be prepared for a quick sign-off, or use a hot key to engage your screen saver if potentially prying eyes approach your desk.

Know the limitations of your system. The computer is just another tool, not a black box that assures secrecy. Lean who in your company knows how to use your computer better than you do and use them as a resource. It is your responsibility to understand the realistic limitations of your system.

Develop a sound system of backing up and archiving files, and then stick with it. You may be your own worst enemy if you do not follow consistent procedures. You should be able to retrieve important files quickly, ensure they will be safe, and remove files you no longer want in ways that render them unrecoverable.

Store floppy disks in a locked area.

Use a password sign-on procedure to prevent anyone from accessing your hard drive without your permission. This is not unbeatable, but it slows down the casual interloper. Best system: use two passwords known only to you and your boss.

Sign off whenever you leave your terminal if working on confidential information—even if for just a short break.

Remove your printouts as quickly as possible from the printer.

Put your original program disks under lock and key. Remember, these are rarely used after the software is loaded onto your hard drive; so they may be borrowed and you wouldn’t miss them for months.

A few other security risks. Don’t ever send anything confidential via the fax machine. Send the document by courier or overnight delivery if you have to or, if you absolutely must transmit something confidential on the fax, call ahead to let the receiver know the exact moment to retrieve it. Even though reading someone else’s fax is like reading someone else’s mail, not everyone treats faxes with this same respect.

Never leave a confidential (or serious personal) message on voice mail, because it won’t be confidential. Anyone can access one’s voicemail in a minute and the results could be devastating. Likewise, don’t say anything confidential on a cellular phone or speaker phone. Most cellular phones can be easily pirated. And, although a speaker phone may be convenient, it can also compromise privacy.

Follow the Golden Rule

That protecting confidentiality is on the short list of professional job skills presumed to be simply understood by bosses everywhere is a compliment to our profession. Our bosses assume we will always recognize confidential information whenever we see it, and then take whatever action is appropriate to protect it.

Because the confidentiality aspect of the job of the administrative professional defies prediction and standardization, it would be prudent to always adhere to my Golden Rule of Confidentiality: Unless otherwise instructed by your boss, treat all information received, written or spoken, as strictly confidential. You will never regret it.

Because you are a professional committed to upholding high standards of behavior, your company’s security will always be a part of your job description. But, it’s an ongoing challenge because you will be relied upon more than ever to “bar the door” against all types of threats to compromise the company’s information and property. It isn’t simple anymore, either—it requires technical expertise and a lot of psychological moxie. The challenge is to do your job with a healthy skepticism of others, while still expecting others to trust you.

Good Luck!

7 Likes

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 4:34pm On Nov 16, 2006
Mypeace,
Infact this piece is simply 'seminarious'! To say the least, I'm impressed. Like to know more abt you. How long y've been on the job, what it takes to occupy that role (PA to CEO), rewards, challenges, etc. I'm a secretary/front desk officer (8mths) post NYSC. Tanks

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:46am On Nov 17, 2006
Hi BEAU1,

I am glad u like it

I hv been in this field for 6yrs now, though I started as a Front Desk, Secretary and now PA.  It actually takes nothing much, rather than being a PROFESSIONAL SECRETARY and having CONFIDENCE of your ability to do the job (not all these sales girls/Office Assistants with SSCE that call themselves  SECRETARIES)  The position you are now, is a training ground, to assume the office of a PA tomorrow.

anothers challenges of the job is that everybody in the office believes that you know everything, partaining to Office Professional job, you will be frequently called to teach the "junior secretaries' if you work in a large office though.  So you have to be abreast of the latest happenings in the field, knowing how to operate all the latest office technologies.  Most times you assume the position of a trainer, training the ones under you even your boss.  And remeber, you close or go home when your boss is closing for the day!

Apart from the salary package, one of the reward i so much enjoy is that everybody in the office equates you with the CEO,  even the senior Managers respect you because of your boss.  And you go on trips with your boss - if you hv a male boss, people wil be insinuating rubbish, thats their problem, but always maintain 'officialdom' when dealing with your boss  (i mean male boss)

There are many things to the job, but its a job l love doing.

Again always go through the internet for writeup that will help you excel.  You will get there only if you want!

4 Likes

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:57am On Nov 17, 2006
Hello my fellow colleagues,

I will like us to contribute to this issue.

As an Executive Secretary/PA, most times vendor(s) want(s) to pass thru you to get an appointment,favour, submit proposal or talk to your boss. And you know quite well that your boss will not love to see the person in question, and this person keeps disturbing you thru personal visist and phone calls. How do you handle this, knowing fully well your boss doesnt want to see him?

I quite know that the excuses like "My boss is not availabe" "My boss is at a meeting" donot disperse these kind of people. What shall we do pls.

Pls lets contribute and lets make this lively!!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by olatos(f): 1:33pm On Nov 21, 2006
smileyMy Peace,this piece came at a very good time 4 me,cos i would be taking up the job of a Front Desk Officer with a reputable Company next month.I didn't want to take the job cos i felt how can i take up the job of a receptionist,but with this conference Materials you sent in,am really ELATED.PLEASE could you send in more advice on the job,TANKS and God Bless.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:31pm On Nov 21, 2006
Am glad to hear this.

I really want us to make this a contributory forum, not just one person doing all the talking. I would be able to advice or contribute if you can say the challenges u had faced before, or if this would be ur first job, let me know ur fears.

I mentioned one challenges above, and no one had contributed to it. I must say am not encouraged. I know this forum can be more lively than this.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by olatos(f): 11:58am On Nov 22, 2006
smiley My peace,dis is my first job,am starting next week and i really want to know what it entails.Tanks so much.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Xtyan: 12:02pm On Nov 22, 2006
My peace, I quite agree with you that the job of a Sec/PA is a challenging one.  But it depends on the company you are working with and the type of boss you have.  The job could be frustrating at times if you have a "Mr Perfectionist as boss" and also if you have a boss who feels he is doing a favour by paying you salary.

Some of you who are in a well organised organisations may not understand the frustration some of us are facing.  Imagine in a situation where your colleagues with the same qualifications  and even freshers are paid higher than you.

Moreover, if you have a boss that only watches TV, monitor environment from a camera and sign cheques, what will you be doing as his PA.  Just Idle.  but during appraisal, he sees you as nothing doing much and for that will not rate you well or promote you. In fact i'm seriously looking for a more challenging job and also changing my career.  how do you see this.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:03am On Nov 23, 2006
@Olatos

Since it is your first job,  then u have  to build up your 'PERSONALITY BRAND' with these ethics of the profession.  If you follow it judiciously, the sky will not only be your limit. if it is a big company, as you said,  you will rise faster than you you can imagine.

The Secretarial and Office Professional Ethics

The ethics of a Secretary and Office Professional are moral principles relating to the job that you will be bound by.  These requirements are automatically taken on board when you accept any position as a Secretary or Office Professional and you will be expected to uphold them at all times.  You really do take the Secretarial Oath when you become a Secretary.

Ethics  - No 1
• Confidentiality - Always keep information private and confidential about the firm you work for and its clients.  Never repeat sensitive information even if you are in a discussion where everyone is wondering what is happening and you know.  Always be trusted. 

Ethics - No 2
• Honesty - do not take the credit for something you did not do and do not let someone else enjoy the credit for something you did do!  Always tell the truth.  Trust me, you will be more credible with both your boss and fellow workers.

Ethics - No 3
• Loyalty - always be loyal to your boss and company.  Never sell them out at any cost.  However, having said this, your boss also has to prove to you he/she is worthy of your loyalty. Do not get caught up in the office gossip.  If you display your loyalty you will receive the same in return.

Ethics - No 4
• Reliable - show you are reliable.  Be punctual for work and meetings at all times, and remember, always take the relevant documentation with you to the meetings. Do not abuse the 'sickie'.  You just never know what your future holds in relation to your health. Ensure every task you are given is completed on time and to the best of your ability.

Ethics - No 5
• Responsible  - Prove you are responsible by setting priorities and carrying out tasks in a timely manner.  Always meet deadlines when they are given.  Your boss puts his/her confidence in you. Write yourself a 'to do' list - even if its priority changes 10 times a day. Do not delegate if the job cannot be done as efficiently and accurately as you would have done it.  If you do delegate, always check that the project is on track time wise.  Do not just forget about it because someone else is doing it.

Ethics - No 6
• Work unsupervised -  Always keep your work up to date and be productive.  Meet deadlines. Priorities, and priorities. Every day write up a list of the tasks you need to undertake to ensure none are overlooked and have them in priority order.   

Ethics - No 7
• Be Co-operative - always assist and share your expertise with your colleagues wherever it is possible.  Always be happy to carry out duties asked of you, but also know when to say 'No' (gently) and explain why you can not do the task asked of you.  Do not overload yourself.  It is becoming more popular in the workplace these days for Secretaries to take on the training role within their organization.

Ethics - No 8
• Flexibility - If its 5.00pm and your boss needs an important report typed and faxed immediately - do it!  The best jobs are where you have a 'give and take' arrangement.  You just never know when you may want an hour off at a minute's notice to attend an emergency.

Ethics - No 9
• Multi-Skilling - Learn as much as possible about computer programs and other positions in the organization.  You just may need this knowledge when you apply for  advancement within the firm.  This is also particularly useful as you are usually the one who has to show the boss how to use some of the computer programs.  The trend these days is for the boss to have more 'hands on' with software e.g. e-mail, spread sheeting.  Like I said above, you could be asked to take on training too if you were familiar with the programs.

Ethics - No 10
• Bribery - Do not be tempted to accept gifts or favors from internal or external clients just in case there's an underlying reason.  Always follow your Company's procedures and policies.  Very rarely you will ever get something for nothing - there is usually always a trade-off. You may end up paying the ultimate price - your job! 

Incorporate the above ethics in your role and you will find both your boss and your work colleagues will respect you as a person and your position as a secretary.

I wish you all the best!!

2 Likes

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:54am On Nov 23, 2006
@Xtyan,

My dear, i quite understand what you are saying. i had faced a similar thing before.  It mostly happens in unstructured companies.

In my company, there is a salary structure in place for every category of staff, if its the same case with yours, i suggest you take it up with your Personnel Manager.  I could be that your boss is the one fustrating you.

For the  "Perfectionist Boss"  i know such a boss can be torn on ones flesh .  I suggest you focus on self-improvement in areas where it's easy to take things for granted.  Check out this article, i pray it helps out:

How to Work With a Perfectionist Boss

It's important to seek to understand perfectionist bosses and why they're so focused on perfection. It's often because they fear they'll lose something if perfection isn't achieved. They may be afraid of losing their prestige, sense of worth or even their jobs."

Communicate
When receiving an assignment or project from a perfectionist, take a moment to clarify the expectations. If your boss wants things done a certain way, write down the plan step by step. Make sure you keep asking questions until you're clear about your boss's expectations.

Pay attention to details
Be precise. Give your boss neat, orderly, spell-checked work. Nothing stands out more to a perfectionist than typos, sloppiness and inaccurate information. Keep track of deadlines and get your work done on time.

Be prepared
Never come unprepared to a meeting. If you have a project to report on, come to the meeting with a complete progress report. If the meeting is about a new topic, do your pre-meeting research about the subject.

No surprises
Perfectionists don't like surprises. Keep your boss informed as to how a project is going as the work progresses.
If you see the possibility of a problem on the horizon, give your boss a heads up. Perhaps offer an idea for solving or preventing it.
Any possible solutions should be well thought out, logical and workable.

Have a can-do attitude
Even though it may be tough, keep a positive attitude when the perfectionist is demanding, If you're feeling overwhelmed, make a logical case for getting assistance with your work. This way, you're saying you can do it if you get help.

Develop trust
Never cover up a mistake to avoid criticism, even though it may be tempting, as you'll immediately lose the trust of your perfectionist boss

Show you care
Because perfectionists often are harder to like, they don't receive many messages that others care about them and their welfare, If you see your boss is a nervous wreck trying to push everyone to perfection, say something like, 'I'm worried about you. You look exhausted. Why don't you take a few moments of peace and quiet in your office, and I'll cover for you.'"
A small gesture of caring often will help your boss be more understanding of your struggle.

Be proactive
Instead of reacting negatively to the perfectionist boss's demands, seek to understand them and create a strategy for working with them, This way, when you go home at night, you can let go of your work worries because you know you've got a plan."

Finally, changing your career may not be the issue, in every career u find yourself you will still have a boss to report to.  All you need may be to change your job, apply to well structured companies and learn the act of human relation.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Xtyan: 3:18pm On Nov 23, 2006
MyPeace,

I really appreciate ur taking time to attend to my challenges. In fact all u said are right. I have approached my boss in the salary issue but all I discovered is that he feels he is doing me a favour by employing me.

All the same I will heed to ur advise of changing my job. In fact today i went for a test in one of the banks. pls pray for me.

Any please Mypeace, I will very much appreciate if you can link me up with job opportunities pls. I have OND and BSc in Secretarial Administration and i have nearly to 8 year experience.

Thanks for your concern and for opening up this forum for Secs/PAs.

Xt
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:29pm On Nov 23, 2006
It gladdens my heart to hear this.

I trust God to see u thru in the interview. Howeva, if i see any job opening, i will not hestitate to inform you.

Regds.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Xtyan: 4:07pm On Nov 23, 2006
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by minemine: 6:54pm On Nov 25, 2006
I felt good coming across this post.

I have had a total of about 10 years working initially as a Typist
in a Federal institution and later as a PA.

Your pieces ignited me to value our field the more - even though I
am out of the field now.

Your first post is a snap-shot of the challenges I faced but which
I was able to ride upon squarely.  I wouldn't know whether my being a
male Secretary then has helped me at all.

That is just my 'hi' to you all.

To all Secs in the house, check around you always the
infopportunities that abound now for your future career.

Are Secretary of today being asked of 120wpm and 50wpm like
we faced then?

asdf,    :lkj smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Yours inforpportuniti[b]Master[/b]
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by olatos(f): 11:44am On Nov 27, 2006
smiley @My peace
am so happy 4 this xcitin piece u sent 2 me.i might even start d job this week.Tanx so much,You've made my day.God bless.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by kemoade(f): 12:52pm On Nov 27, 2006
MY PEACE,
l would say l am highly impressed with all these articles.

l am secretary, personal assistant and front desk officer in my organisation and not well payed for these job but l think these forum will help us more if we could have one.

lnfact l really appreciate all your write-ups atleast it will help us in some difficulties in the office.

please keep sending more to encourage us.

pls try keep it up.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by naija4life(f): 4:50pm On Nov 27, 2006
Nice thread, ride on y'all wink
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Pacifimeri(f): 6:58am On Nov 29, 2006
My Peace,

Gud stuff, keep up da good work by updating us.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 1:54pm On Nov 30, 2006
Mypeace,  This job is not an easy one; it s too challenging.  I did Sec Studies in YABATECH and I just got job in a small private firm after my Service early this yr.

I love the job and I wd like it if you keep educating young people in the profession like us.  Please kindly send me some useful websites that are educative on the job.

Meanwhile concerning your senerio about dealing with someone who wants to meet the boss while the boss does not want.  I had a case like that sometime last month.  Here my boss had a deal with someone to purchase a product, later he declined.  This fellow was always disturbing me, giving me calls after I told him that my boss was away on a trip and I wd contact him later if my boss comes back.  He was head-bent on meeting my boss.  One day he came to my office in the afternoon and met my boss' car, whereas I had already told him earlier in the day that my boss was in Abuja and wont be back till weekend.  By the time I met him at the reception, he was already aware that my boss was in the office, besides my boss had told me that he doesnt want to see the man while the man insisted that he wanted to meet him.

My saving grace was when the Manager came and offered him a drink in his office, before he could finish, my boss left.  The man called me all sorts of names and left angrily.  When my boss came back, he was very angry with me and told me that I wasnt diplomatic enough, I felt bad.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by LoverBwoy(m): 1:14am On Dec 01, 2006
Teena, next time call the security grin

Never sell them out at any cost.

what if your boss is cheating on his wife? what do you do

is it advisable to be friendly with oga's wife so atleast she dont get the impression you are humping her hubby in the office, afterall PAs and secretaries dont have a good image in nigeria?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 10:46am On Dec 01, 2006
Tanx loverbwoy

Meanwhile, If your boss is cheating on his wife, its a family matter so its not the duty of the secretary to let it out.

Also you dont need to sell yourself to your boss' wife. Everything about your job should be official, you should have a cordial relationship with her and that should not interfere with your job. If you are a lady working with a male boss, you have to be very diplomatic in dealing with his wife and even his girl friends because they will always suspect you having an affair with him.

JUST BE YOURSELF.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 11:19am On Dec 01, 2006
@Teena,
I must say I agree with your boss that you were not diplomatic enough.  Even though you act on the behalf of your boss before vendors/friends/etc, you must never put yourself in a tight corner as to portray yourself as a liar or cheat.  Who to see or not is your boss's wahala.  You must employ tact.  Ask me how?
1.    Dont be unnecessarily friendly with callers [maintain 'officialdom'(@mypeace)]
2.    Dont give them hope that you can render help where you boss cannot
3.    Or that you can 'wind' your boss to respond to your demands
4.    Where your boss has made it clear he wont respond, simply pass the message across directly or indirectly.
I think this becomes an issue when you allow your personality and person to come in but it shouldnt for God's sake its not your wahala.  In as much as you wont sell out your boss, you shouldnt also sell out your conscience.

At every point in time, you should maintain a posture of being in charge of your office: that is, you decide who sees your boss or not.  That your boss is in the office doesnt mean he must attend to everyone?  You can ask the caller to try some other time cos he's busy and you 'bone'.

On the issue of the boss having an affair - for God's sake, its a free world.  I'm only a secretary when it comes to official matters.  My boss sure has his private life to lead.  And a secretary must be very very careful to draw the line (if only for the sanctity of the office and organisation).  Let all who care to know (cos many are sniffers and busybodies) that oga's private life is not part of my schedule.  He can even decide to bring his girlfriends to the office - you ar secretary not wife (or friend to wife).  Keep your status quo all the time.

Then I ask finally, is it ethical, morally right, to form part of the chain of your boss's girlfriends?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:35am On Dec 04, 2006
This forum is gettn so sweet.  I really missed alot these few days i was offline!
Thank God am back now.

I really love  Beau1 contribution to Teena's issue

I will only add that since your boss has already told u that he is not interested, the only msg which you have to pass to the man is that YOUR BOSS IS NO LONGER INTERESTED IN THE BIZ. its either you say it directly or indirectly.  Keeping quiet and playing the man, means that you are the one preventing the man from seeing your boss.

Nextime if such happens, having known your boss is not interested, the first time he comes, tell him to give you the message that you will talk to your boss and get back to him and that your boss is  busy and wont want to talk to a visitor now (that your boss sent u to get the msg for him).  The second time, call him by his name (say good morning Mr. James), he will know that you still remeber him and the purpose of his call (either on phone or physcially) Tell him that you are afraid, that you hv discussed with your boss as you promised him, but your boss said he will get in touch with him when HE IS READY FOR THE BUSINESS (collect his no, if he says your boss doesnt have his no) With this, he will know u hv tried your best, and u will still remain 'friends;. (remember, don't give out your boss's no to him, even if he asks for it, tell him that, you are sorry, u don't give out his phone no, unless u are instructed to do that, offer to give him the office landline)

If the person has not even discussed anything with your boss, maybe wants to book apptment, and u know that your boss doesnt want to see him or even if he wants to see him.  The strategy to deal with them is:

1.  Ask them why they want to see him (some will tell u that it is private)  (Tell them that you can only help them if u know their purpose)  with this they will tell you.  If its all those marketers and contractors.  Tell them that you will help them better, if they could put that as a proposal and bring it to you.  Make sure u submit it to your boss.
2.  They will call for follow up.  if u have determined that your boss is not interested on that. Tell them that u have submitted their proposal to your boss, that if  your boss is interested, the company will get back  to them through their phone no or email.  With this, 80% of them will stop disturbing you.
3.  If its some real private msgs, collect the msg, intimate your boss about it, tell him that the man requested for an apptment with him. if he wants apptment u will determine that with him, if not, when the man calls back tell him that u hv discussed with your boss and passed his no to him, that u hope he will get back to him soon.

In this job, you have to protect 3 persons
1.  your Boss
2.  Urself
3.  your Company

There are some cases, i direct them to some other managers.  If its the Bank markets, i direct them to the Fianance Dept, the Contractors, i direct them to Admin.

I will say that there is no 1 way of dealing with these challenges, but circumstances and situations determines how to deal with them.

Good luck!!

Someone talked about 120.w.pm in shorthand and 50.wp.m in typing.  Some employers still ask for that now.  Where i worked before now, my boss then used to dictate and i got the job because i was the only person that passed the shorthand interview, so i was writing shorthand, but now i don't, unless on my own when am taking down some msgs over phone. 
I will say that shorthand skill is nolonger required as in those days.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:55am On Dec 04, 2006
@Beau1

Your are funny?  It is ethically and morally wrong. Personally i hv found that those that get their job through that or indulge in that with their bosses, don't normally last long on the job.  Please its WRONG and should never be encouraged.

You are there to work and not for romance!

I have once worked with a boss, who attempted that.  That day we worked late and everyone has gone home.  While working on his laptop, he called over to know my mine on a topic, i made my suggestion and he loved it.  Before i said jack Robinson, his hand was around my waist, and he was still talking to me.  He had never done that before, i was so surprised to d marrow.  I gentle took off his hands, went backward, and refused to respond when i supposed to respond.  He felt so embraced and unease.  he asked me what it is.  I said nothing sir.  I walked away to my office.  Throughout the period i worked with him he never tried it again.  I know most times we ladies encourage them.

Please it is BAd and it is BAD!!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 11:48am On Dec 04, 2006
Tanx Beau1 & Mypeace, its quite interesting and educating reading your stuff. As I earlier said, I am at the tender age in this profession and hope that your contributions will take me to a greater hight. I hv learnt my lessons!

Then I ask finally, is it ethical, morally right, to form part of the chain of your boss's girlfriends?

From so many strories according to pple that hv had the experience in the past, A Secretary having a relationship with her boss is just like someone who collects his/her pay package and sqander everything on that particular day without considering that he/she will be hungrey again the following day. Having an affair with the boss does not guarantee the person's job and the secretary there and then losses her dignity.

Obviously, it is against the ethics of the secretarial profession and its also morally wrong.
Using Mypeace experience as an example, the secretary is more respected and appreciated when she refuses to give in. I shall post my own experience later, I hv some jobs at hand now.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Pacifimeri(f): 1:07am On Dec 05, 2006
Hey everybody.
I am new to this forum. I didn't intro myslf in my earlier reply. I am from one of
the Pacific Island countries - Papua New Guinea. am also a secretary by profession.
I love my job. I work in one of the country's big institution. Being a sec is a challenging
profession. We are the front line personnel in any organisation. and we are to peform
our jobs with dignity & honesty. The word secretary come from the word secret. So
we are suppose to keep things secret. Whether it be for our bosses the company or
other workers/colleagues for that matter.

there's an old saying, a secretary can be an engineer or an accountant but an engineer or
an accountant can never be a secretary. So be it.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:36am On Dec 05, 2006
@Pacifimeri, welcome to the forum. hope to read more contributions from you

Teena, am waiting for your experience and how u handled it.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 10:56am On Dec 05, 2006
Yes, mine was when I started my job initially. One friday evening, my boss told me that I should come to his hse in a nearby town on Sunday evening. Actually, that town is very close to his village so he has a house there while his family is here. So I was not comfortable with that invitation, he gave me transport money and directions as I was to travel with public transport. After some minutes, I asked him what I was coming to do he said to prepare some documents for him on Monday. Meanwhile I had typed and arranged all the documents he was to travel with; from then he noticed that I was not at ease. While he was about leaving the office he remined me of it again, I suggested to him that it will be better for me to leave very early in the morning and meet him there before 8.00am. He said its okey, but that I should wait for his call for confirmation, I was happy.

On that Monday morning, he didnt call me, at about 8.00 am I called him he said I should resume in my office. Two days later he came back and I noticed that he was not happy with me, at the close of work, I returned the money he gave me for my transport, he then said that he wanted me to come and work for him and I was feeling as if he had something else in mind. I said, I am sorry Sir, I had no negative intention but I was to attend a programme in my church and I was not sure I could make it, that was why I made the suggestion, besides he should forgive me I didnt know he was offended. It ended like that, afterwards he made further attempts to invite me over there which I declined and he relented.

Recently, we had a contract for which we travelled to that town and stayed in his hse for some weeks. I stayed in his main house, he assigned me to a room and brought her nice who was attending to the domestic cores while the other two staff (males) we traveled with stayed at the BQ. In the morning, he called his nice and told her that I am his secretary and nothing more so she should make sure that I am ok that she should not stress me at all. Two days later, the girl told me what his uncle said and narrated to me the story of the former secretary; how she used to come there and sleep in his uncle's room and for that she was always at logger heads with her. She told me that she was just observing my moves, if I were that kind of person, she wouldnt have adhered to her uncle's instructions.

That is it! my boss has repect for my person now and we have good official relationship, but if I had given in then, I would have tarnished my image. As Mypeace said, we ladies encourage them; the kind of clothes we were to the office also suggest something bad so we have to be careful, if you are a good secretary, your boss might be tempted because you're just like his wife in the office, so we got to be strong. Moreso we need to handle that aspect with tact without embarrasing the boss.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:40am On Dec 06, 2006
Teena, that's a very diplomatic and tactful way of handling it.  Kudos to you!!!

Its exactly the same with my sister's experience, and now she has a very good working relationship with her boss, and has been in the company for the past 12years.  Though she's still a PA in job functions  but an ASSISTANT MANAGER in salary with official car and house.  When you know your job, u last long, but when u think you will use your body, you will keep floating!!

All we need to get our boss is to KNOW our JOB.  There is this maxim that says "There are secretaries and there is  SECRETARY" so we got to be the 'SECRETARY' and not secretaries.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Pacifimeri(f): 11:37pm On Dec 06, 2006
Mypeace, thank u.

Teena, well done. tanz for sharing your experience. always play it safe.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:06am On Dec 07, 2006
@Olatos,

how far? Have u started the job?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 12:18pm On Dec 07, 2006
Hello all,
I must confess that I'm impressed with the contributions of @mypeace & @Teena so far. It goes to show that there are still people in the profession who are worth their onions. Those who know what they are doing and will not be cajoled otherwise for whatever monetary or material gain.
Its good, really good indeed.

I actually asked that question because so many associate 'prostitution' (sorry to use that word) with the secretarial profession. They see secretaries as ladies of easy virtue. People who can give in to emotional pressures with just a little push. Or like @Teena rightly said, 'suggest it' by their dressing and otherwise.

I see secretaries as professionals for God's sake. [(@Pacifimeri )there's an old saying, a secretary can be an engineer or an accountant but an engineer or an accountant can never be a secretary. So be it. ] It is the secretary that should add dignity to that office and profession. Temptation to indulge will always be there whether you suggest it or not. If you like dress shabbily as a lady, some men out there will still show interest. (Like a friend told me: that some men are so obsessed about 'skirts' that they trip for skirts on display in the marketplace let alone when someone puts it on - wonder how true?)

I think it should be a matter of principle to declare your stand on this issue as an individual first to yourself and then to as many as cross your path as nicely, politely and tactfully as you can.

As secretaries, lets dream big, aim to be topflight managers/professionals in the field and we will get there instead of eating all the cake in one day and starving all life-long.

Finally, what can a secretary do to improve herself/himself (Abi, is it an all-female profession? It will be nice to hear responses and 'experiences' from the guys too) in terms of certification, trainings, related career-lines, etc.

c u all @ d topmost tops. smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.