Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,720 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:52 AM

Chemical & Process Engineers Forum - Career (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chemical & Process Engineers Forum (81180 Views)

Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! / AEROSPACE ENGINEERS FORUM : Spacecraft, Aircraft Experts. / Mechanical Engineers Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by hisable2: 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2013
am a Chem Engr too and and following thread. lets keep it alive ooo
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Capableben(m): 12:17am On Jul 13, 2013
[quote author=debest1]Good question, unfortunately i'm based in UK as well so can't really give a definite answer.
[/quote
WEN IT COMES TO THE FINANCIAL ASPECT BRO, PHARMACY AND CHEMICAL ENGINEERING WHC ONE GOES FIRST IN NIGERIA?

1 Like

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by shakaz(m): 5:41pm On Sep 03, 2013
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Amhappy(f): 1:17pm On Sep 04, 2013
Interested in Environmental Engineering. How do i start?

debosky: Didn't even know my people had a home on NL. cheesy

BS in Chem Eng and MS in Chem and Bio Eng.

Been working in environmental engineering for nearly 3 years but moving into process safety engineering now.

Was a student member of NSChE way back but never moved beyond that - now I'm looking at IChemE or EI (Energy Institute)

Those names bring back memories. . . .when did you graduate Kenny? I might know you sef.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Purplebells: 2:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
Fresh September job vacancies.

Sales & marketing, engineering, medical, hospitality, banking etc. don't miss out.

Apply now:

Go to www.purplebells.com
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by fydence: 2:26am On Sep 06, 2013
What do Chemical Engineers do? And how are they different from Chemists? Thanx
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by 1miccza: 7:52am On Sep 06, 2013
@Debosky,Lolade and all please how do I get into the recruitment training organised by multinationals like Lafarge,Unilever and all as I graduated with a 2.2 and I have a GHSE certificate. Can someone please help?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by slyopez(m): 6:41pm On Oct 30, 2013
My fellow Process Engineers, I just want to bring dis thread to the fore-front. It has been long it was updated n its in page15. Plz let's keep the fire burning. Am jst a new newbie in Process but hope 2 grow someday.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Capableben(m): 7:35am On Nov 15, 2013
Nicklee:

Hmm, it is interesting that I was talking to a friend as recent as last week and was lamenting that my biggest regret so far is not pursuing a PhD in chemical engineering. When I finished undergrad in Nigeria, I decided to apply to only 2 schools - One in California for petroleum engineering (now called energy resources engineering) and the other in Massachusetts for chemical engineering. Then I was fine with either/or but I tilted towards going to Massachusetts. I ended up applying to the school in California only because the person that was supposed to pay my application fee missed the deadline for the Massachusetts school. OK, bottomline is - I didn't have much of a choice anymore, so I went for PE.
I love chemical engineering and I think PE is so easy that you don't really need a long degree in PE to do well in the industry or even in academia. On the other hand, CHG is pretty broad and you can really do lots of cool stuff - from Bio. to organic semi-conductors, to Enhanced Oil recovery to reservoir engineering. And at the PhD level, I have come to understand that it doesn't really matter whether you are PE or CHG in research in the oil industry. For stats., ExxonMobil is made up of 18% CHGs and only 4% PEs. Infact when I interned with them, I noticed that there were more CHGs in their research company than PEs (ratio of more than 3:1).
CHGs jobs had been growing in the past many years and it is not surprising that the growth rate can turn negative. But there are still lots of opportunities for the graduates, even in the oil industry if you decide to work in that industry.
I'm not sure which school you got into but I think that also plays a role.

suggest a nigerian school pls for an aspirant like me..........
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 2:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
Capableben:

suggest a nigerian school pls for an aspirant like me..........
unilag, ife

1 Like

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Ericmillion(m): 11:34pm On Jan 07, 2014
fydence: What do Chemical Engineers do? And how are they different from Chemists? Thanx
google the quesn and u wil get answers

1 Like

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by oremisussan: 2:26pm On Aug 05, 2014
Good day to you Seniors,

I have a first degree in Chemical engineering but currently work as a Mechanical engineer in the automobile industry. I am liking my job and don't mind a career therein.

My fear, however, is academic progression. Will I ever be admitted to pursue a second degree in Mechanical engineering? UNILAG comes first to my mind.

If I don't get to be admitted, then will a much prolong stay on my present job and a "mismatched" academic qualification not pose an hindrance to career progression (job change) as I move on?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by adehinde: 9:36pm On Aug 05, 2014
PRIMAVERA P6 TRAINING BY AN EXPERIENCED PROJECT PLANNER AND SCHEDULAR

Instructor led training for proffessionals nd career oriented individuals in prpject management.planning and schedulling using the primavera P6 management tool. Private classes also available.
Contact kenny on 09097927320. BB 272E681E.
Unlike all other trainers,we guarantee ur expert use of this wonderful project management tool.

2 Likes

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by jimkazjimmy(m): 11:50pm On Oct 23, 2014
wow. I love this thread. I am also a chemical engineer. I love chemical engineering so much and will love to go into food processing. Sorry to say, Nigeria is really retarding my motion. Still at home. No job. My passion is still ignited but my strength weakens daily. Any word of encouragement?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by obiak4(m): 6:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
jimkazjimmy:
wow. I love this thread. I am also a chemical engineer. I love chemical engineering so much and will love to go into food processing. Sorry to say, Nigeria is really retarding my motion. Still at home. No job. My passion is still ignited but my strength weakens daily. Any word of encouragement?
kazjim jst keep the spirit me 2 am a great chem. Engr still looking for a good job after graduating with one of the best result in school just hustling to make ends meet but am still happy
cheap the perfect moment bro to all chem. Engr if u need ASPEN HYSIS INSTALLATION AND TUTORIAL GUIDE FILL FREE TO CONTACT ME THANK GREATEST NsCHE

1 Like

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by TheCode(m): 12:17am On Oct 31, 2014
Graduate Chemical Engineer... serving corper... completly unfazed by the tales of doom surrounding the economy of this great nation and the job market... reality is relative and it's all won or lost in the mind. One just need to study the trend, do the needful on time, stay informed, including sourcing for tips from people already in desired industry or career path, be always prepared and develop the sort of tenacity that would astound a bulldog...

...the kingdom suffereth violence... the violent taketh it by force

3 Likes

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Saintigk(m): 8:28pm On Nov 05, 2014
obiak4:

kazjim jst keep the spirit me 2 am a great chem. Engr still looking for a good job after graduating with one of the best result in school just hustling to make ends meet but am still happy
cheap the perfect moment bro to all chem. Engr if u need ASPEN HYSIS INSTALLATION AND TUTORIAL GUIDE FILL FREE TO CONTACT ME THANK GREATEST NsCHE

Pls, what version is ur hysys?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by TheCode(m): 8:42am On Feb 20, 2015
Hello house, I wish to carry out a study on gas flaring: why it happens, previous steps adopted by industries to abate it, hypothesis on how to stop it completely and challenges. I would appreciate tips/direction from my seniors in the house, including links and e-materials. Thanks in anticipation...
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Sandra4Christ: 10:02am On Feb 20, 2015
I am a chemical engineer presently serving in port Harcourt...pls house I need advice on how to grow my career in the oil and gas industry I.e the short courses I need to do now while serving. I was want to know if going for nebosh IGC can be OK or going for nebosh oil/gas, which is more preferable.....thanks as I anticipate your kind response
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by gmart(m): 2:37pm On Feb 20, 2015
I seriously hope we can keep this thread alive. I know we have quite a number of chemical engineers on this forum but the participation has not been encouraging, unlike the threads for electrical engineers and other professions.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Imeisua: 9:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
Hi All,
I have read through the thread and its so interesting and enlightening.
I need advise/suggestions from the house. I am a Bsc Chemistry graduate from a Nigerian university, and I've been offered admission to study for Masters in Process Engineering in a Uk top research university.
I have always loved Chemical Engineering and would love to build a career in this field. What is the prospect of getting a job on graduation in Nigeria and even in UK?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by gmart(m): 8:31am On Feb 22, 2015
The right question is: Why do you love chemical engineering? I'm asking this question because over the years i have seen students of chemistry, polymer science and other related courses cross over to chemical engineering only to be disappointed at the curriculum. First, you must understand that chemical engineering is not chemistry and also that Chem.E deals with more mathematics than most of the other engineering disciplines.

If after you've done a proper background study of the course and you still remain genuinely passionate about the profession then you'll most likely find something to do after graduation, considering chemical engineering is one of the most versatile fields of engineering.

What you should be bothered about at this stage is earning a good grade, at least a distinction at the end of your programme. This is what will really give you an edge and increase your chances of employability and not just the fact that your degree is foreign.

All the best

Imeisua:
Hi All,
I have read through the thread and its so interesting and enlightening.
I need advise/suggestions from the house. I am a Bsc Chemistry graduate from a Nigerian university, and I've been offered admission to study for Masters in Process Engineering in a Uk top research university.
I have always loved Chemical Engineering and would love to build a career in this field. What is the prospect of getting a job on graduation in Nigeria and even in UK?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by gmart(m): 8:50am On Feb 22, 2015
Sandra4Christ:
I am a chemical engineer presently serving in port Harcourt...pls house I need advice on how to grow my career in the oil and gas industry I.e the short courses I need to do now while serving. I was want to know if going for nebosh IGC can be OK or going for nebosh oil/gas, which is more preferable.....thanks as I anticipate your kind response

I don't really think expensive safety trainings and certificates will do you much good at this stage. Considering your level of experience (fresh grad) you'll most likely be recruited into any O & G firm as a graduate trainee and what will open that door for you is your class of degree. What did you graduate with?

If you didn't do too well in your first degree, you should consider pursuing a master's degree immediately after NYSC to help compensate for that. But this is also dependent on other factors such as age.

For now, I'll say stay close to the career section of O&G companies websites, job/vacancies section on nairaland here too is also quite rich and apply to as many O&G openings for fresh graduate as you can find. Practice sample aptitude test questions and follow career blogs like jarushub.com etc.

Don't forget the God factor too while at this.

Wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Nakarey(m): 10:40am On Feb 22, 2015
We need more participation in here. This is a great thread for chemical engineers to keep interacting,we need to bring it back alive.
Meanwhile. Am a fresh Chemical Enginnering graduate from the greatest UNIBEN. Good to see fellow corrosives here.

1 Like

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 23, 2015
gmart:

I don't really think expensive safety trainings and certificates will do you much good at this stage. Considering your level of experience (fresh grad) you'll most likely be recruited into any O & G firm as a graduate trainee and what will open that door for you is your class of degree. What did you graduate with?

If you didn't do too well in your first degree, you should consider pursuing a master's degree immediately after NYSC to help compensate for that. But this is also dependent on other factors such as age.

For now, I'll say stay close to the career section of O&G companies websites, job/vacancies section on nairaland here too is also quite rich and apply to as many O&G openings for fresh graduate as you can find. Practice sample aptitude test questions and follow career blogs like jarushub.com etc.

Don't forget the God factor too while at this.

Wish you the best.
this age factor is my greatest fear each day i wake up. I'm set to graduate @26 and by the time i'm done with NYSC i should be clocking 28

please i sincerely need your advice on the options/line i can tow

Good grade is not a problem for me it's just this age thing embarassed
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Sandra4Christ: 3:37pm On Feb 23, 2015
thank you very much gmart for the advice....I graduated with a second upper. I really want to have an edge over my counterpart that's why I desire a short course in the course of my NYSC
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Nobody: 7:17pm On Feb 23, 2015
Sir gmart please forgive me if my request wasn't polite enough. Please i badly need your advice
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Capableben(m): 12:09am On Feb 24, 2015
omoruyi56:
dbest! this is absolutely discouraging grin. What options does a brother have now after all the degrees and limited opportunity to gain experience? Manufacturing sector is almost a disaster. Anyway the struggle continues, thanks a bunch for the tip.
.....you just discouraged an undergraduate.... hmmm
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Champella(m): 1:24am On Feb 24, 2015
Capableben:

.....you just discouraged an undergraduate.... hmmm

You this man. You don come again abi? Stick to your Chemical Engineering joor!

1 Like

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Capableben(m): 6:05am On Feb 24, 2015
omoruyi56:
I have less than a year experience in the upstream /downstream sector and about 3yrs in manufacturing prior to my Msc. I actually embarked on getting an Msc. to change career path. But it seems to be even harder getting a foot in the door than I imagined, I thought of going to Nigeria but my experience during NYSC wasn't the best especially with basically no industrial experience. I am hoping to get a shot over here even if its contracting with the agencies.
What career did you change to sir?? ......
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by gmart(m): 6:25am On Feb 24, 2015
Hello people, I could not respond earlier to your comments because of my engagements.

Sandra4Christ:
thank you very much gmart for the advice....I graduated with a second upper. I really want to have an edge over my counterpart that's why I desire a short course in the course of my NYSC

@Sandra your class of degree gives you a bit of an edge already. You must understand that you do not have to outclass the entire chemical engineering graduates in the country to earn a career opportunity in the O&G sector smiley . If I were you, what I'll be bothered with at this stage is putting together a nice CV and rigorously applying for any available O&G job opening I can find. You should work to ensure that you're invited for at least 2 job test/interviews even before rounding up your service. Also take advantage of the service year to network with your colleagues and stay within the circle of information as this is also very important.

@jesuspikin77 I don't think your earlier post was rude, time constraint is why I couldn't respond earlier. The issue of age is quite a challenge that young graduates are now having to contend with. I have seen a number of intelligent and articulate fresh grads remain unemployed as a result of this. But then again my advice on this issue has always been; Rather than remain UNEMPLOYED, it is better to be UNDEREMPLOYED. This is because in underemployment you are at least afforded the opportunity of gaining experience which can in turn qualify you for an experienced position and consequently a better job placement. It is very rare coming across age restriction for experience hires, most HR apply the age thing when recruiting fresh graduates.

So, finish well (a first class will do you more good), look out for some small oil servicing firms if you intend to pursue a career in the O&G sector. There are tonnes of these firms but most Nigerians only know about the big players. The likes of ARKLEEN and Estymol Oil are not the kind of companies you hear of on a regular, yet they offer some of the best hands-on training to their employees. You will also find out that the possibility of the age restriction not applied or the benchmark adjusted to accommodate your age bracket is higher in these "low profile" firms than in more established companies like the Shells, Totals etc.

Don't be afraid to start small and if pushed further start from the very bottom, soon the experience you've gained will make you highly sort after.

Wish you guys the best.

3 Likes

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 25, 2015
Thanks a lot sir gmart

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Kafayat Sanni: Nigeria's First Female Fighter Pilot (Pictures) / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony / Kufre Nnah: Meet Millionaire Barber Who Came To Lagos With Only N5000 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.