Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,042 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work - Fashion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work (617538 Views)

Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work By / Queenfav's Makeup Lounge...(product Reviews,makeup Tips And Recommendations) / Reviews Of The Best Skin Lightening Products You Have Ever Used. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Sissy3(f): 11:21pm On May 26, 2010
Yah!!!!

welcome back dear!!! <-----betcha like ma new dance moves tongue
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by 1711: 11:00am On May 27, 2010
Am fair bt my elbows re dark,no matter how much cream I apply there,it just won't change. My skin color is even,any idea of wat I can use,available in naija.tnks
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by yjay(f): 1:04pm On May 27, 2010
1711:

Am fair bt my elbows re dark,no matter how much cream I apply there,it just won't change. My skin color is even,any idea of wat I can use,available in naija.tnks

hey 1711, im not sure there s much u can do, going to a spa might help, u can ask for maybe chemical peels or microdermabrasion treatments but they dont come cheap & im sure u ll need more than one session,get a good scrub & exfoliate constantly & moisturise immediately to keep it supple & soft, scrubs ll help on the long term, they ll definitely look better but theres isnt a guarantee that it ll be as light as the rest of your body, u can also try at home microdermabrasion kit, ve heard good stuff abt mary kay microdermabrasion and u can get it easily in naija, but if u can send someone abroad u can ask the person to get u lancome resurface c microdermabrasion, comes highly recommended & contains vit c to lighten dark areas,
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by 1711: 7:22pm On May 27, 2010
Thanks yjay,I wil look for de marykay nd try it out
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 10:53am On May 31, 2010
Lol at sissy. Karma, you're a bad un. You may not miss NL, but NL's missed you.

Girls, we'll be taking a look at hair this week. CAN we grow our hair to almost any length we want? YES WE CAN. It's easy.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:52pm On May 31, 2010
LOL, easy ko. easy ni.

where be your own Rapunzel locks?

1711, use lemon on my elbows.

tubabie, kiss kiss
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by tubabie(f): 2:59pm On May 31, 2010
Believe me its easy to grow hair, mine has been growing recently at an alarming rate
Mad max ,let it roll. . . . . . . . . . .

@TOH. . wink
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 10:42am On Jun 01, 2010
I cut off my permed hair in 2008, and have grown it to almost ten inches in two years. I haven't relaxed it and won't either. I don't know if it's me, but virgin hair seems to grow faster than when I had permed hair. There are dozens of wigs for any look I want, extensions for braiding, and oils to keep it soft and fragrant. I use Morroccan oil with others, and sweep it up with large earrings if I'm going with bare shoulders. Hair is easy to grow.

I'll begin with a few facts about hair.

ALL hair grow at the same rate, be it causasian, Asian or kinky African hair. Depending on your diet, hair grows between 1/2  to 3/4 of an inch a month. That includes your hair.

THERE IS NO BEAUTY PRODUCT ON EARTH THAT GROWS HAIR. All those salon hair products promising fast hair growth are wasting your money. The ONLY chemical that accelerates hair growth is MINOXIDIL, and it's a treatment for baldness.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by tubabie(f): 12:05pm On Jun 01, 2010
I found this link particularly helpful for me, you guys can check it out too

http://www.hairstyle.com/hair-articles/hair-growing-tips.htm
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 1:52pm On Jun 01, 2010
@ madmax

i gave a review of products that helped reduce breakage some pages earlier and i swear by them
i also swear by onions(eeeeeeeeeeWWW i know)

but i cant wait for your analysis /advise/recommendations tho
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 8:20pm On Jun 01, 2010
Lol. I didn't say there aren't products that help prevent hair breakage and loss. I said there's NOTHING you apply to scalp that accelerates hair growth. There isn't.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 9:09pm On Jun 01, 2010
Mad_Max:

Lol. I didn't say there aren't products that help prevent hair breakage and loss. I said there's NOTHING you apply to scalp that accelerates hair growth. There isn't.

true!
oya nau
the reviews pls
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 9:50am On Jun 02, 2010
Before we go to how to grow your hair, there are some mistakes you may be making you MUST stop first:

1. APPLYING RELAXER TO ALREADY PERMED HAIR WHEN RETOUCHING
This is deadly for your hair. Even the relaxer manufacturers tell you NEVER to do this. Apply relaxer to new growth ONLY. When it's done, wash and style your hair. The more times you apply relaxer to old hair, the weaker it gets, until your hair won't have volume but will be thin and unhealthy. Strands of your hair will break off at different lengths, and will look as if it's stopped at one length and isn't growing. Stop doing this, don't let your hair stylist do it , and don't exceed the number of relaxer minutes for your hair type because you think you're 'cooking' hair.

2. HARD BRAIDING
Tension pulls the hair out by the roots and breaks it. NEVER let your hair be braided 'hard'. It will break, especially around the temples.

3.THREADING WEAVE ONS TO YOUR OWN HAIR.
If you're fixing a weave-on, don't let the hair extensions be tacked to your own hair. Have your hair woven neatly and THICKLY with straight hair extensions so it can absorb the shock of all the brushing and styling your weave on will be subjected to while on your head.

4.SMALL TOOTHED COMBS
Don't ever use small toothed combs on your hair, or allow it to be used on your hair. You will pull out your hair, or pull some of it halfway out, which will fall out eventually. The smallest gap comb should be a wave comb. Brush hair with a huge comb first, then a smaller comb, then a wave comb.

5. EXCESSIVE HEAT
Very bad for hair. When your hair is in curlers don't sit under dryers set to excessive heat. Dry your hair under the lowest heat setting, or take the curlers home and have them removed and your hair styled the following morning.

Stop these things first if you do any of them.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Sissy3(f): 3:47am On Jun 04, 2010
Mad,

your post isnt showing . it was arrested by the spambot on its way here sad

here Mad's blocked post:

[b]Before we go to how to grow your hair, there are some mistakes you may be making you MUST stop first:

1. APPLYING RELAXER TO ALREADY PERMED HAIR WHEN RETOUCHING
This is deadly for your hair. Even the relaxer manufacturers tell you NEVER to do this. Apply relaxer to new growth ONLY. When it's done, wash and style your hair. The more times you apply relaxer to old hair, the weaker it gets, until your hair won't have volume but will be thin and unhealthy. Strands of your hair will break off at different lengths, and will look as if it's stopped at one length and isn't growing.  Stop doing this, don't let your hair stylist do it , and don't exceed the number of relaxer minutes for your hair type because you think you're 'cooking' hair.

2. HARD BRAIDING
Tension pulls the hair out by the roots and breaks it. NEVER let your hair be braided 'hard'. It will break, especially around the temples.

3.THREADING WEAVE ONS TO YOUR OWN HAIR.
If you're fixing a weave-on, don't let the hair extensions be tacked to your own hair. Have your hair woven neatly and THICKLY with straight hair extensions so it can absorb the shock of all the brushing and styling your weave on will be subjected to while on your head.

4.SMALL TOOTHED COMBS
Don't ever use small toothed combs on your hair, or allow it to be used on your hair.  You will pull out your hair, or pull some of it halfway out, which will fall out eventually. The smallest gap comb should be a wave comb. Brush hair with a huge comb first, then a smaller comb, then a wave comb.

5. EXCESSIVE HEAT
Very bad for hair. When your hair is in curlers don't sit under dryers  set to excessive heat. Dry your hair under the lowest heat setting, or take the curlers home and have them removed and your hair styled the following morning.

Stop these things first if you do any of them.[/b]   
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by 1ne: 9:26am On Jun 04, 2010
Hi everyone. I've heard so much about shea butter and its wonders for hair so I bought some unrefined shea butter to use on my daughter's natural hair to see if makes any difference. I hope it does cos her hair is coarse, long and really thick and I make it myself.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 9:00pm On Jun 04, 2010
Wha-? This yeye spambot had better find job. Thanks sissy.

Welcome 1ne. Interesting. What does shea butter do for hair? Lubricates? Stops breakage?

Once you stop hair abuse, you only need to do THREE THINGS for long hair. Three very simple things, and I guarantee you will have long hair in just a year or two. My hair is only ten inches because I constantly  trim it to keep them all even. Your hair can be much longer than that!

Genetics have a role to play. Each strand of hair grows to a certain length, falls out and another starts. That's the deal with everybody's hair. Because each strand is at different stages of growth, you don't notice. The object here is to grow your hair to its maximum possible length, and maintain that.

The secret to long hair is simple arithmetic. If your hair is growing at 1/2 to 3/4 inch a month, but you're losing 1/2 to 1 inches a month from constant styling and pulling and tugging and breaking and braiding and combing an weaving and heating and relaxing and what not, can you ever have long hair? IMPOSSIBLE. Well explore the three simple things to do in a few days.  (Assuming you;ve stopped all the abuse mentioned in the previous post)

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Sissy3(f): 3:58am On Jun 05, 2010
Mad,

many swear by Shea Butter lol. though i haven't tried it before. it repairs,protects and moisturize hair so the users say.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by 1ne: 2:45pm On Jun 05, 2010
@Mad Max

I'm using it for the moisturising and conditioning qualities really. She has really dry scalp and hair.
As per hair growth, I did a big chop last month. Went from shoulder length to about 4inches of hair in front almost like a mowhawk. I would like to grow out my natural hair but not in dreads or locs. Just as is. The shea butter will come in handy, I hope, in softening the hair making it easier to handle without the use of relaxers.

Ok. So I used the shea butter and it's unbelievable. I combed her hair without any screaming or fuss. It was really soft, amazing.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 2:13pm On Jun 06, 2010
They swear by it? I'm going to try it. If it's really good, it's joining my hair-dressing regime.

Like a mohawk lol. I don't get dreadlocks. Seems so fashion-challenged, stuck to the same look for eons. Like Whoopi. You can't even look Goth or slutty with dreadlocks, with its vague rastafarian associations.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by madlady(f): 2:24pm On Jun 06, 2010
Mad_Max:

OK I'm a convert. I'm going to try it. If it's really good, it's joining my hair-dressing regime.

@Mad_Max, do you have anything for marks, I cut myself with a sheet of A4 paper, for some mad shocked shocked reason I now have a red line on my inner arm. It's been their for the last 2 weeks.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 3:49pm On Jun 06, 2010
Papercut. Ei-yah. Did you instantly put aloe vera on the cut? Not from a plant, the refined pure concentrated aloe? It prevents scarring when the wound heals. Scars fade with time. If the scar's still there, you can try microdermabrasion as discussed two pages back.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by madlady(f): 3:59pm On Jun 06, 2010
Mad_Max:

Papercut. Ei-yah. Did you instantly put aloe vera on the cut? Not from a plant, the refined pure concentrated aloe? It prevents scarring when the wound heals. Scars fade with time. If the scar's still there, you can try microdermabrasion as discussed two pages back.

Oh so papercuts can be bad shocked shocked I had no idea. I didn't put anything on it, it did not draw blood so just left it. sad sad.

The thing is, it now looks like a knife slash, my skin does show marks easily (i would never get a tat). I will go and look at your micro info.

A big thank you. kiss kiss
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 7:41pm On Jun 06, 2010
No they're not that bad! They're just cuts. Don't fret about it. Wait for the skin to heal completely, microdermabrate and it's gone in a month or so.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by madlady(f): 8:05pm On Jun 06, 2010
Mad_Max:

No they're not that bad! They're just cuts. Don't fret about it. Wait for the skin to heal completely, microdermabrate and it's gone in a month or so.

Oh that's great, nearly posted a pick of the offending arm embarassed embarassed embarassed tongue grin (I have a thing about being mark free embarassed embarassed)

I will mirodermabrate asap because it's healed now.Cheers kiss kiss
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by queenesthr(f): 2:20pm On Jun 07, 2010
Forever Living Products - Forever Aloe Shampoo and Forever Aloe Conditioner are very good for preventing hair breakage.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by chinyere01: 9:48am On Jun 19, 2010
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 7:25pm On Jun 19, 2010
Poor baby. Sorry about the rashes, but what's causing it? If your acne's stopped, where are the rashes coming from? Are you using too many products for your face, and your skin is breaking out? Skin needs just basic things and no stress. Clean, moistuize, protect with suncreen. That's all. Everything else over that doesn't do much, and may harm your skin even. Maybe you should reduce the things you use, and let your skin breathe as much as possible.Maybe it simply needs a little time. It should clear off by itself once the root cause is eliminated and your acne has stopped.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by chinyere01: 10:25pm On Jun 19, 2010
Aww thanks, but d thing is i dont use too many products. I try to keep it simple. Pls can u recommend any light weight powder that offers good coverage, d rashes are annoyin. sad
thanks mad_max.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 8:24am On Jun 20, 2010
I use Bare Escentuals mineral foundation in medium beige, but only on very formal occasions. My face is sans make up most of the time. There are lots of good concealers. Even a light translucent powder in your skin tone should cover them. Don't worry about name brands. Just try on several at a cosmetic store and see which works best. Don't fret: Skin heals itself. The rashes'll clear off by itself since you've eliminated the acne source.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by chinyere01: 9:51am On Jun 20, 2010
awwwww, mad_max, u're such a darling, thanx a million for d advice. A hundred kisses for u, kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 10:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
A hundred and one for you too. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Haven't been here in weeks, but relieved to find no questions waiting all that time. Seems everyone's happy with their skins. Great!
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by steaming(f): 11:35am On Jul 12, 2010
Consultant Mad Max-----lol. Yes we are happy at the moment with our skin and hopefully, for a very long time!

inbtw, i want to play around with ma natural hair, its short but i have texturised it tho.

i want all these SA looks.

can some1 pls recommend a hair person dat cud handle it please? dis sista is tired of braids and dem weavons!

currently, i stay in abuja!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (35) (Reply)

Learn Bead Making And Wire Work Jewelry For Free Here / Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) / Pictures Of Various Ankara/kente Styles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.