Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,618 members, 7,770,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:26 PM

Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work (616210 Views)

Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work By / Queenfav's Makeup Lounge...(product Reviews,makeup Tips And Recommendations) / Reviews Of The Best Skin Lightening Products You Have Ever Used. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 12:52am On Sep 25, 2009
Mad_Max:

Why isn't Visibly Even on amazon like every other normal cream na?Not even on the Neutrogena website? I've got my eye on it to squeeze between Philosophy and Olay Regenerist.
Spikie yours is the first negative words I've heard about Neutrogena products. Only the sun and heat darkens the skin,as you very well know. Along with Jergens, they consistently give value for money and don't do the monkey business other cosmetic companies engage in.They have dozens of products for different skin types; I hope you didn't choose something unsuitable for your skin.

Tpia what does oatmeal and dudu osun do na?I tried a Dove Richly Nourishing Body Beauty Moisturiser and it moisturised my skin WONDERFULLY.But no space to squeeze it in.

babe wot do you use olay regenerist for?
i thot it was for more mature skin
i used the whole range of philosophy up until last year when i ran out of it in nigeria
amazing products if you can afford it
i love the microdermabration scrub and lactic peel pads!
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 1:29am On Sep 25, 2009
Mad_Max:

Why isn't Visibly Even on amazon like every other normal cream na?Not even on the Neutrogena website? I've got my eye on it to squeeze between Philosophy and Olay Regenerist.
Spikie yours is the first negative words I've heard about Neutrogena products. Only the sun and heat darkens the skin,as you very well know. Along with Jergens, they consistently give value for money and don't do the monkey business other cosmetic companies engage in.They have dozens of products for different skin types; I hope you didn't choose something unsuitable for your skin.

Tpia what does oatmeal and dudu osun do na?I tried a Dove Richly Nourishing Body Beauty Moisturiser and it moisturised my skin WONDERFULLY.But no space to squeeze it in.

dudu osun is great especially if you're light skinned, but regardless of skin tone. It evens out the skin and I think moisturizes as well. I dont actually use it that much but a lot of people who do, say it's very good.

Dove is also quite popular.

Oatmeal is very soothing to the skin and has a gentle feel.

Neutrogena- I used one of their products once and wasnt too impressed. I may give them another try though.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 1:32am On Sep 25, 2009
Mad_Max:

Jergens stinks.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 25, 2009
tpia.:

dudu osun is great especially if you're light skinned, but regardless of skin tone. It evens out the skin and I think moisturizes as well. I dont actually use it that much but a lot of people who do, say it's very good,
What does dudu osun do? I've heard a lot of ppl talk about it.

1 Like

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 25, 2009
FL Gators:

What does dudu osun do? I've heard a lot of ppl talk about it.

it tones and moisturizes the skin.

Its actually the same ose dudu made in the village. That one is also very good but needs to look more fancy.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 1:45am On Sep 25, 2009
Hmmmm, I might try it.

The thing is $17 online. cheeiiii!!!

Thanks

yjay:

I love this product so much! I just cant so without it It is so goodddddddd!!!!!! It gives you that lovely glow!!! I totally recommend it!!!!
It contains Retinol + Pure Vit C & also has spf 15 (
* fades the appearance of dark spots
* visibly evens out skin tone and improves
* brightens dull skin & boosts radiance
It totally does everything that is described on the packaging! Its so effective that pple can help but ask!!! its a must ve for ladies !!!!

giving it 5*****

$63 online shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Ehrrrrrm. . . . yea
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by yjay(f): 9:20am On Sep 25, 2009
FL Gators:

Hmmmm, I might try it.

The thing is $17 online. cheeiiii!!!

Thanks

$63 online shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Ehrrrrrm. . . . yea

think u shld FL! u ll love it! its quite cheap, $63 are u sure it the same one?

Mad_Max:

I wondered abt the same thing especially when i cldnt find it on the neutrogena website, do u think neutrogena is pulling it out of the market? i ve heard good things abt the olay regenerist as well, if the visibly even becomes too difficult to get, wont mind using the regenerist as a replacement.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by yjay(f): 9:21am On Sep 25, 2009
@Madmax, not a fan of jergens too!
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 11:37am On Sep 25, 2009
@browncocos.
Olay regenerates and keeps skin young. I don't wait for problems to show up first; with skin, prevention really is better than cure. I just LOVE Philosophy products, and use Hope in a Jar for a night cream. Didn't the smell make you gag the first time you opened it? I tried Elizabeth Arden products but they did nothing for me. Clinique is the most useless and overated cosmetic company.But mebbe I chose their 'bad' products, since you like them so.

@tpia
These brands churn out so many products that choosing the one that will actually work for you is often a matter of luck. Neutrogena's sunscreens and winter creams are the absolute BEST.

@FL
Jergens made me realise quality has nothing to do with a price tag when it comes  to cosmetics.I used Jergens Skin Smoothing lotion. Not only was my skin smoother, my sister in law stole it and it treated her dull, patchy skin. It cost all of $6.But these cosmetics companies make five dozen products; how is one to know the magic ONE that will work? Luck mostly.

@yjay
Olay Regen and the Visibly Even have diff ingredients. I don't think you can subsitute them. Why would Neutrogena pull a great product?I haven't even tried it.Mebbe I'll console myself with the Soy and Vit C product.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by yjay(f): 11:57am On Sep 25, 2009
@yjay
Olay Regen and the Visibly Even have diff ingredients. I don't think you can subsitute them. Why would Neutrogena pull a great product?I haven't even tried it.Mebbe I'll console myself with the Soy and Vit C product.
[quote][/quote]

yeah i know, just figured that since the visibly even is somewhat for maturing skin, the regenerist might be a good substitution, to the other question, just wondering cos its not listed on their website & extremely difficult to purchase, the one with soy & vit c is equally good cos i remember a guy asked me wat i was using for my face when i was using it, he said it was looking smooth, that shld count for something abi!
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 1:02pm On Sep 25, 2009
Mad_Max:

@browncocos.
Olay regenerates and keeps skin young. I don't wait for problems to show up first; with skin, prevention really is better than cure. I just LOVE Philosophy products, and use Hope in a Jar for a night cream. Didn't the smell make you gag the first time you opened it? I tried Elizabeth Arden products but they did nothing for me. Clinique is the most useless and overated cosmetic company.But mebbe I chose their 'bad' products, since you like them so.

@tpia
These brands churn out so many products that choosing the one that will actually work for you is often a matter of luck. Neutrogena's sunscreens and winter creams are the absolute BEST.

@FL
Jergens made me realise quality has nothing to do with a price tag when it comes  to cosmetics.I used Jergens Skin Smoothing lotion. Not only was my skin smoother, my sister in law stole it and it treated her dull, patchy skin. It cost all of $6.But these cosmetics companies make five dozen products; how is one to know the magic ONE that will work? Luck mostly.

@yjay

@madmax does olay regenerist even out skin tone?
i hate to spend almost $20 on something that might not work?
i have slight blochiness on my face due to my preg
i hear it moisturises so well is that true?
yea the philosophy hope in a jar is eeeewwww dem no try at all but  when u get used to it,its a very god moisturiser
i guess the only things i really send in the clinique line are the moisturiser and the face wash
i feel all the others dont address darker skin concerns but maybe am wrong

meanwhile ladies ever tried the aspirin mask before?
pls do it if you havent
its the simplest home recipe that truly works
it made the skin on my palms and soles of my feet baby soft gawd the best thing since sliced bread
trust me once u start using it ull dump all your other face and body scrubs
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by spikedcylinder: 1:19pm On Sep 25, 2009
Mad_Max:

Maybe I chose products that didn't work with my skin. Just to be safe, I'm staying away from Neutrogena for now. E se gan ni. tongue
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 3:55pm On Sep 25, 2009
Spiked, I saw a thread devoted to your hubby Zac Effron in the celeb section. Go dia kiakia and pay homage. tongue tongue

@yjay,
I'm going to give the Soy and Vit C one a try jare. Neutrogena rarely disappoints. But everything I put on my face goes all over my skin as well. Skin is skin and it doesn't stop at my neck. I hope there is something tangible in that container. It looks small.

browncocos:

yea the philosophy hope in a jar is eeeewwww dem no try at all but when u get used to it,its a very god

OMG spill the formula for the aspirin mask already. Olay regenerist is Olay's best product. I can't say about evening skin tone, since I already use stuff for that. But you'll notice a change in your skin after using it a while. Your skin just loves it and drinks it up. Eii-yahh. I know pregnancy causes hormonal imbalance which plays havoc with skin and hair,but my skin never looked as fabulous as when I was pregnant! Every single blemish cleared off, it was blazing with health and glowing like a beacon.And all I was using was Johnson's baby lotion and sunscreens. Meladerm will clear that blotchiness right off, or the glycolic acid peels. There has to be other products that work as well or better than Meladerm, it's too pricey and so tiny ehn.  undecided
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 25, 2009
chei nothing for the men here? shocked
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2009
yjay:

think u shld FL! u ll love it! its quite cheap, $63 are u sure it the same one?
Okay, what's the exact name?

Mad_Max:

@FL

Maybe, but the stench is making me withdraw from  it.
Do they have different smell, other than the regular one?

Have you tried Nivea products? Your view?
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by yjay(f): 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2009
FL Gators:

Okay, what's the exact name?

Its called Neutrogena Visibly Even moisturizer spf 15 with retinol & vit c, a blue & white pack, Its a slim tube,
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by yjay(f): 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2009
browncocos:

yea the philosophy hope in a jar is eeeewwww dem no try at all but when u get used to it,its a very god moisturiser
i guess the only things i really send in the clinique line are the moisturiser and the face wash
i feel all the others dont address darker skin concerns but maybe am wrong

meanwhile ladies ever tried the aspirin mask before?
pls do it if you havent
its the simplest home recipe that truly works
it made the skin on my palms and soles of my feet baby soft gawd the best thing since sliced bread
trust me once u start using it ull dump all your other face and body scrubs

omg i noticed that with dudu osun too i used it consecutively for 3mos and my skin is spotless
i was too scared to use on my face cz it could be uber drying
i was wondering what i was doing right i thot it was the change in weather
turns out we should go back to our roots and start using black soap lol
p.s it doesnt lighten o it only gives u an awesome glow!

I'm really curious abt that!!!
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by spikedcylinder: 4:47pm On Sep 25, 2009
Which one be aspirin mask again?
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 6:19pm On Sep 25, 2009
FL Gators:

Have you tried Nivea products? Your view?

No I haven't. Do you recommend any? Something to keep up my skin tone and add luminosity. Jergens has a smell? There are many many many Jergens products, some are scented and some not. I've only used the Skin Smoothing lotion and the Vitamin C lotion and they were okay.

Yjay, a small tube? By the time you apply it all over three times the thing is finished.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 25, 2009
@Yjay

lol, will watch out for it. Going shopping soon anywayz.

Mad_Max:

Yjay, a small tube? By the time you apply it all over three times the thing is finished.
rotflmao

Mad_Max:

No I haven't. Do you recommend any? Something to keep up my skin tone and add luminosity. Jergens has a smell? There are many many many Jergens products, some are scented and some not. I've only used the Skin Smoothing lotion and the Vitamin C lotion and they were okay.
Yea, I think Sissy posted the one I use on the first page. Really good. Softens out/moisturizes the skin and unify the skin tone.

Yes mehn, Jergens smell, maybe it was the medicated one. My bro had to use it when he was a baby undecided
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 7:32pm On Sep 25, 2009
ok ladies the aspirin mask is just as it sounds
all u need for the face is about 3 uncoated white aspirin
add like few drops of water on it just enough to dissolve it
then add lil honey

voila the secret recipe
use it as a scrub on your face(After washing ur face of course)
and leave it for 30mins
pls come back and give your opinions

personally i use it on my palms,my elbows,my knees and my feet
you can pretty much use it for your whole body albeit the mess

1 Like

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 12:10am On Sep 26, 2009
A scrub using aspirin and honey. Tres weird. Does it work better than regular scrubs?
Might look for other home made beauty remedies and post here.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 3:49am On Sep 26, 2009
Mad_Max:

A scrub using aspirin and honey. Tres weird. Does it work better than regular scrubs?
Might look for other home made beauty remedies and post here.

trust me
tried and tested
why not try urself and see if its better than your scrub
sha make sure you use the uncoated aspirin
the white,cheap one
aspirin contains salicylic acid which helps with acne
BUT! pls use max of 2/3 times a week at first till your face adjusts to it
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 9:46am On Sep 26, 2009
I'll give it a try.
Not Clinique. L'Oreal is the most useless cosmetic company,churning out pricey,useless stuff. angry Ashwarya Rai and other Faces of L'Oreal don't put the gunk on their faces I bet.
Clinique has a few good products. I have THIS in my bag right now:

CLINIQUE ALMOST LIPSTICK
4 STARS

I bought it in Black Honey. It's like crosssing lip gloss with lipstick, with understated shine, so it's just right. It goes with almost everything and looks good on just about everyone. Since I like things simple and don't take more than 8 mins to apply make up, this works wonderfully for my lazy ass.

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 10:57am On Sep 26, 2009
URBAN DECAY LIPSTICK AND LIQUID EYELINER
5 STARS

This is some fabulous lipstick, lovelier than the overpriced NARS range. It feels good, it looks AMAZING and tastes great. Unique design; a half-buried dagger at the base that made me guffaw when I opened the package. There are dozens of wonderfully decadent descriptive colours, from Apocalypse to Love Child to Buzzkill to Indecent and Wicked and Deviant.Just fabulous. 

URBAN DECAY LIQUID EYELINER.

I hated liquid eyeliner. If they don't smudge, like Mary Kay's, they give you raccoon eyes in hours. But URBAN DECAY liquid eyeliner is simply PERFECT, no smudging or smearing, it stays fast, lasts forever and your eyes look fabulous. I bought it in Perversion and Oil Slick and felt perverted and slick. Fantastic make up range: Once you go Decay you don't go back!

1 Share

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 12:33pm On Sep 26, 2009
Razor bumps,black spots and ingrown hair from shaving? Can't give a rating on these products as I've never used them, but I hear they're great and for best results, use all three. They're for men in the main, but women can use them as well for bikini lines. They came highly recommended by guys. I use a Tweezerman for my eyebrows and guarantee its quality.

PRINCE REIGNS INGROWN HAIR GEL
TEND SKIN
TWEEZERMAN STAINLESS STEEL INGROWN SPLINTERTWEEZE

Male Models use Prince Reigns and Tend Skin for bumps and ingrown hair, for smooth shaves and blemish-free facial skin. The Tweezerman item has directions, including disinfecting its tip in alcohol before and after use, and wiping the treated area with hydrogen peroxide to disinfect skin.

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 3:37pm On Sep 26, 2009
Mad_Max:

URBAN DECAY LIPSTICK AND LIQUID EYELINER
5 STARS

This is some fabulous lipstick, lovelier than the overpriced NARS range. It feels good, it looks AMAZING and tastes great. Unique design; [b]a half-buried dagger at the base [/b]that made me guffaw when I opened the package. There are dozens of wonderfully decadent descriptive colours, from Apocalypse to Love Child to Buzzkill to Indecent and Wicked and Deviant.Just fabulous. 

URBAN DECAY LIQUID EYELINER.

I hated liquid eyeliner. If they don't smudge, like Mary Kay's, they give you raccoon eyes in hours. But URBAN DECAY liquid eyeliner is simply PERFECT, no smudging or smearing, it stays fast, lasts forever and your eyes look fabulous. I bought it in Perversion and Oil Slick and felt perverted and slick. Fantastic make up range: Once you go Decay you don't go back!

a dagger?at the base did i hear you right?
na to call airport security 4 u o
what kind of powder do you use?
foundation i mean!
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2009
Lol the tiny dagger's a great touch na. Mebbe, after some disastrous make-up session, to kill oneself with.  grin

I don't use foundation. And once your skin's back to being smooth and even,you don't need it. Ever wonder why women's faces seem to age faster than men's? Or why your facial skin seems older than, say, the skin on your upper arms and tummy? For one, the sun isn't getting to those areas, for another; years of daily make-up is stressing out the facial skin, clogging the pores and producing tired, older face skin. Did you know that not cleansing the face properly ages the skin? There's moisturiser, sunscreen, foundation, powder,etc, on our poor little faces everyday, and instead of washing it off thoroughly with a good, mild soap, many of us use cleansers that not only NOT clean the face well, but deposit more layers of debris.

Soap is still the best way to cleanse your face. Steer clear of all those cleansers with additives like olive oil, aloe vera,glycerin, perfume, etc, Those things are deposited on your skin, defeating the purpose. Forget those fancy 'cleansers'. Just use soap,  baby soap or any mild soap with NO additives whatsoever. They do the job.Foundation clogs the skins pores, though I hear they're making ones that don't now. Less is more with make up. You're not supposed to look as if you're wearing any. For a dewy, natural look I use translucent powder, any good brand, or NARS bronzing powder in Casino. I sometimes forgo it entirely and just apply eyeliner and lipstick/gloss. If you absolutely must use foundation please make it the non-clogging types. I could find out a few good ones from friends if you like.
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by Shinatu: 4:48pm On Sep 26, 2009
yes, its the one in the blue pack though i dont think its been changed but yes it is extremely scarce, had to wait for abt 4mths before getting it here in naija, at a point i even tried to order it on ebay but cldnt but i think u shld be able to order it, its actually not so expensive but its sold for N3500 here

@Vijay,

Where can I get it (Visibly even) in Naija?
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by browncocos(f): 8:51pm On Sep 26, 2009
@ mad max
thanks for all the info
am thinking of getting the neutrogena soap
the transparent one
i dont know if thats good enough
turns out good ol soap dries my skin

i hate using foundation too
but a girls gotta look good now?
i honestly am tired of using foundation thats why i am seeking out an even tone
cant wait to ditch the foundation
thanks for your help
but pls ask around for a nice foundation for me from your friends
its important to have just for dem special occassions
Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 11:10pm On Sep 26, 2009
I asked and these are the two most consistent answers:
REVLON SKINLIGHTS INSTANT SKIN BRIGHTENER.spf 15
Yes, it's foundation. the colours are Warm Light, Natural Light , golden light and Pink Light. It's scarce though.

BARE MINERALS FOUNDATION. It comes in many flesh-toned colours and apparently is 'simply marvelous', and 'the best foundation there is'.

For uneven skin tone, one of them suggested you use any of these two.MELADERM did not work for her hyperpigmentation. She says she used FIVE jars with ZERO results. For such a high-priced product it's a 'bad product' for so many and works for so few.

NADINOLA EXTRA STRENGTH FADE CREAM
It will remove hyperpigmentation in 1 to 3 weeks, depending on skin type. STOP using it soon as the skin is clear.

AVON ANEW LUMINOSITY ULTRA ADVANCED SKIN BRIGHTENER SPF15
Didn't say what it did, only that you won't stop using this once you see how wonderful it is. Suitable For long term use? Yes.

Re: Product Reviews: Stop Wasting Money! Beauty Products That Actually Work by MadMax1(f): 12:11am On Sep 27, 2009
And Please don't forget to add OLAY REGENERIST DAILY REGENERATING SERUM to your beauty regime. It'll be one of the best things you ever did for your skin. You won't be sorry. You can apply just that to your face, or apply your regular moisturiser on top of it; they won't 'disturb' each other and each will work just fine.

I'm switching from Philosophy Hope to DERMA E HYALURONIC ACID NIGHT CREME.I hear it's fantastic. And Avon ANEW LUMINOSITY for day cream (face) and Neutrogena Visibly Even (Body). I can compare three products that way and see what works.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Learn Bead Making And Wire Work Jewelry For Free Here / Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) / Pictures Of Various Ankara/kente Styles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.